PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan of your respective school?

ASU33
September 28th, 2016, 07:41 PM
For me my mother ran track at ASU from 1978-1981, my father was an All-American running back at ASU from 1977-1980, and my dad's older brother was the starting QB at ASU during the 77 and 78 seasons. I played at ASU from 2003-2006 and graduated in December of 2006. I transferred out as a grad transfer in 2007 to Mississippi State. My wife also ran track at ASU from 2005-2008, and my younger brother played at ASU in 2009 and 2010 after playing 2007-2008 at UAB. My dad's mom graduated from ASU in 1954, and I had a cousin that played at ASU from 2011-2014.

NY Crusader 2010
September 28th, 2016, 07:55 PM
ASU33, sounds like you have quite the lineage, not to mention having had the honor to strap on the pads at the school you grew up dreaming of. That's awesome!

I went to my first Holy Cross game @ Fordham in November 2005 right after I'd been accepted. HC was 5-2 coming in and had just beaten #8 ranked Lehigh. With PL title and playoff hopes hanging in the balance, we were upset by a win-less Ram team. I ended up working for the team while I was in school and did not miss a single game, home or away until after I graduated. I also had the pleasure of being at every practice and during camp before classes started. I go to 3-4 games per year now.

Prior to my attendance at Holy Cross, I closely followed William & Mary beginning in about 1995. Both my parents went there graduating in 1977 and 1978. I went to one home game at Zable and at least one away game most years growing up. I now have a semi-tradition of going to the Tribe's FBS game every year (missed NC State this year b/c it was during the week). Last game I attended at Zable was the loss to Lafayette in 2012 but I look forward to getting in the win column soon in the "new" stadium.

TheRevSFA
September 28th, 2016, 08:04 PM
In high school, I applied and was accepted to Notre Dame. I remember bringing the letter home and showing my mom and she said "so how are you going to pay for it"

i actually didnt start college until I was 21 as I tended bar and worked for the Texas Rangers while I figured out what I wanted to do. I had a friend at SFA and went to check it out and fell in love with the campus and the professors. So I applied and in the fall of 2003 I became a Lumberjack

BisonAlumni
September 28th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Mother is an NDSU alumni as well as myself.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I graduated H.S. in Montana and had a tuition free scholarship to any Montana state school (MSU or UM included) and went to NDSU instead. In hindsight that was pretty dumb, but at least I'm not rooting for the Bobcats or the Griz. :D

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2016, 08:19 PM
My dad was attending the University of Chattanooga (private) as it changed over the UT-Chattanooga the year I was born. My father took me to the spring game when I was less than 4 weeks old. Gave up scholarships at smaller colleges to get a partial for track/XC at UTC. I will be 48 in March, I have literally been a fan my whole life...this is my 6th decade of Mocs football.

Laker
September 28th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I live about 75 miles from Mankato, St. Cloud, Marshall and the Twin Cities give or take. Could have gone in any direction. My older sister went to MSU-Mankato- and my older brother- and me- and my younger brother- and my first cousin. And my nephew. And my cousin's daughter.

I went back to grad school and later was a grad assistant there. And I taught for twenty five years at a school about twelve miles away from Mankato.

ASU33
September 28th, 2016, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=NY Crusader 2010;2384513]ASU33, sounds like you have quite the lineage, not to mention having had the honor to strap on the pads at the school you grew up dreaming of. That's awesome!

I appreciate that man. I my dad and I caught hell from a few ASU fans/alums when I decided to play my senior year for Coach Croom at Mississippi State. For a few years after that I really didn't feel welcomed at ASU like I'd felt my whole life prior to that.

Evolution Prime
September 28th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Lived 20 miles away in Arlington, SD. Both parents graduated from SDSU. I used to usher and sell programs when in the Boy Scouts as CAS in the DII days. Pretty much a no brainer.

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I saw the Southerners in high school.

SFA 93
September 28th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Always wanted to go to school in the woods.

CockyGeek
September 28th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Joined the marching band in 2005. I sat through four 6-5 seasons and wasn't even really interested in the games until Ryan Perriloux came to town and there were actually some interesting things happening on the field. I guess I've been to about 75 games at this point.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2016, 08:56 PM
I graduated H.S. in Montana and had a tuition free scholarship to any Montana state school (MSU or UM included) and went to NDSU instead. In hindsight that was pretty dumb, but at least I'm not rooting for the Bobcats or the Griz. :D

Yeah that was really dumb. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I have two degrees from North Dakota State University. My parents both graduated from NDSU as well.

woffordgrad94
September 28th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I received a full Spartanburg County foundation scholarship to attend Wofford College back in 1990 my senior year of high school. Since Wofford has a good academic reputation and I wanted to stay close to home, it seemed like my best choice. I also was considering Furman and Presbyterian, but my folks would've had to pay a lot more for me to go to either of them and money was a big issue for us. Anyway, since I love sports, it just made sense that I would become a big fan of my school's athletic teams in short order...and I've never looked back since then.

POD Knows
September 28th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Didn't go to college but some of friends went to NDSU and it seemed like a better place to party than UND. Seriously, that is it.

BisonFan02
September 28th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Didn't go to college but some of friends went to NDSU and it seemed like a better place to party than UND. Seriously, that is it.

Bisonoline
September 28th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Was recruited to play football there and it was my second choice.. Went to the University of Iowa for two years and played there. Had a coaching change so I transferred to NDSU. One of the best moves Ive ever made.

POD Knows
September 28th, 2016, 09:10 PM

Well, yea, but that was part of the party thing. My pittance towards a quarter of non attendance and non participation didn't bind me to NDSU.

IBleedYellow
September 28th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Grew up as a Bison.

I think I went to my first game before I could even speak.

What a blessing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TTUEagles
September 28th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Grew up an MTSUx fan, sorry as hell to say, but asst. coach at my high school went to TTU and helped get me recruited: played football at TTU...

BisonFan02
September 28th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Grew up a Bison fan.....my pops partied there and it seemed like only dbags liked UND. xlolx NDSU didn't have an accredited business program when I was going to school, and you wouldn't catch me dead going to GFCC...went to a private school an hour west of Fargo, but my collegiate sports allegiance stays with NDSU.

PantherRob82
September 28th, 2016, 09:31 PM
My dad decided to take me to games when I was 7. Here we are 27 years later and I know take my daughter. :)

eiu1999
September 28th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Went to school there, didn't like any of the other state schools, and met Mrs. EIU there....

Evolution Prime
September 28th, 2016, 09:49 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/EvolutionPrime/Mobile%20Uploads/e6b927faed4a21901ba3b6bf9630fad4_zps0us1pkrh.jpg

BisonFan02
September 28th, 2016, 09:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/EvolutionPrime/Mobile%20Uploads/e6b927faed4a21901ba3b6bf9630fad4_zps0us1pkrh.jpg

Accurate. xlolx

TheRevSFA
September 28th, 2016, 10:01 PM
My dad decided to take me to games when I was 7. Here we are 27 years later and I know take my daughter. :)

Getting to take my daughter to her first game in Nacogdoches this past September was definitely a high point of parenting. I took her to her first Battle Of The Piney Woods in 2014 when she was 3 months old.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Went to school there and met Mrs. EIU there....

I went to grad school at EIU.

I really liked Charleston.

melloware13
September 28th, 2016, 10:43 PM
In 09, I was choosing between UMass and Delaware. UD had a program that fit what I wanted to do at the time, and I wanted to give marching band a chance to prove itself as an activity (I hated it in HS due to people). Ironically, after 2 years I changed majors to one that was better suited had I been at UMass, and now I'm in grad school finishing off what I want to do (and wanted to do at 17).

PantherRob82
September 28th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Getting to take my daughter to her first game in Nacogdoches this past September was definitely a high point of parenting. I took her to her first Battle Of The Piney Woods in 2014 when she was 3 months old.

My daughter's first game was 5 months old. She attended the Montana game this season at 15 months old as the first one she was very interactive at. :)

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Grew up in Mandan (across Missouri River from Bismarck). Dad played baseball at UND and huge fan of the hockey program. Parents worked for BNSF and transferred to MT my junior year of HS. Lost ND residency, gained MT residency. With instate tuitions price and scholarships I mostly went for free. But I stayed because MT is the last best place. But there no room for anyone else, so don't come.

TheKingpin28
September 28th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Grew up an Iowa Hawkeye due to everyone on my dad side either going to U of I, City High in Iowa City, or working for the University. I grew up in the Twin Cities but my mom grew up in Fergus Falls with a brother and a sister. She was raised to like the Tri-College as a whole but she went to Concordia for a year and transferred to Fergus Falls Tech (MSCTC) but still partied in the FM area. Her sister went to Concordia and my uncle and my aunts husband were long snapper and place kicker respectively, and the latter still holds a record today for most XPs made in a game. My mom after dropping out of Concordia, rooted for the Dragons and Bison and since no one went there, I decided to go there since I needed to get out of the state. I know it was only across the river, but it was more for the mental aspect of getting out of place that thinks the Gophers were/are on par with the rest of the collegiate world.

GAD
September 29th, 2016, 06:52 AM
My mom and dad are SU grads, dad is 1 of 11 kids 5 boys 6 girls all of my dads brothers are SU grads 3 of his 6 sisters are SU grads all 3 married SU grads. When ever we have family gatherings my uncles are usually sitting around talking jaguar/swac football. We had everything from the 1950's to present day covered

caribbeanhen
September 29th, 2016, 06:55 AM
I grew up in the state of Delaware but about as far from Newark as you can get, as a kid I was a huge sports fan and started reading the News Journal every morning and even though I was just reading the paper to get the baseball box scores, NFL, NBA, but you couldn't help reading about the Delaware BlueHens football team, they were well covered back in the 70's, so I started listening to there games on the radio, it was the home state team, they were good and people were talking about them. So it was Dec 8th, 1974 when Delaware played UNLV in the Div 2 semi final and the game was televised nationally on ABC, game later became know as the Wing T clinic as Nate Beasley and Vern Roberts put on a nice show, besides it was a neat offense to watch, that game connected me to the BlueHens for life, I missed about 20 years of Delaware football while serving in the USCG but now thanks to Al Gore haha and the internet, I have been able to follow the team again.

the only home game in Newark that I attended was in 1983 a loss to West Chester, also was at the Vet for Temple in 1980 ..... so I'm the oddball outsider type of fan

UIWWildthing
September 29th, 2016, 07:02 AM
I went to Towson in the 90's so naturally I became a fan of the Tigers.

Terry2889
September 29th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Had a choice between offers from UNH, Richmond, 'Nova, and a partial to Wisconsin. Bernie Wyatt, the recruiting coordinator for my area from Wisconsin told me very honestly that they had 15 kids who were 5'10" and ran the 100 in 10.7 hahaha! Then Bill Bowes sat me down and laid out a very convincing argument that UNH was by far the better football option when compared to Richmond and 'Nova. I took the bait. While at UNH we fell on some hard years, while 'Nova and Richmond went on to become title contenders (I also had several friends who played at both of those schools so you can imagine the ribbing I endured!). Despite the tough times on the field, I came to love the school and more importantly the beautiful state of New Hampshire. I should have never left : )

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2016, 07:22 AM
....AH'M...NEWARK LOCAL.....GREW UP ON CHOATE STREET.......KLONDIKE KATES...NOW ON DUH CORNER.......EARLY SIXTIES.....HENS PRACTICED...BEHIND STORES ON MAIN STREET......SPECIFICALLY....NEAR DUH GRAVEYARD ON CENTER STREET.....AH COOD HEAR DUH EXERCISE COUNTS...AN' COACH'S WHISTLES...FROM MAH [email protected] JUNIOR HIGH......FOOTBALL PLAYERS.....WOOD COME AN' TEACH @ OURAH GYM CLASSES...TA FULFILL MAJORS.........SKOOL KIDS....COOD GET IN DELAWARE STADIUM.......FO' $0.50.....PIGSKIN ALLEY PROGRAM.....(END-ZONE)........OLDEST UH SEVEN......TOOK SOME UH MAH PAPER DELIVERY DUCATS.......FELL IN LOVE WHIFF DUH WING-T......WHEN CLICKIN'.....UH THIN UH BEAUTY.........DUH T....WENT WHIFF TUBBY......STILL THINK IT WOOD WORK TA-DAY......IT WAS THE CHARM O' DAT OFFENSE....HOOKED DUH CHICKEN..................WAS SO MUCH FUN...TA SEE OTHERAH SKOOLS.....FACE THE OFFENSE....DURIN' PLAY-OFFS.......WHO COODN'T FOLLOW DUH ROCK..............AWK!

HailSzczur
September 29th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Uncle was Nova class of '75. My dad liked the school so much it was the only place he applied and he graduated '82. My mom graduated '85. Grew up like 15 miles from campus and my parents have had season tickets for basketball and football since '85. Went to my first game when I was about 6 mths old. Applied to the engineering school and graduated in '15. Also had a cousin who went to Nova and a brother there now.

mango433
September 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
My dad graduated from SDSU and would take us to the Hobo Day game regularly. When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to do my own thing so I enrolled at Southwest Minnesota State University. After a year, I hated the small college atmosphere and transferred to SDSU. Fell in love with it the minute I stated attending school there and haven't looked back since.

My wife teases my constantly because one of the schools I looked at attending when I was a senior was NDSU. As she's bragging about all the National Titles NDSU has won, she reminds me that I could have been a Bison.

BEAR
September 29th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Two giant football players with bear paws on their shoulders showed up at my elementary school and read to us. I was hooked. An undergraduate and graduate degree later I have two boys attending games and events..they're hooked. Legacy baby...legacy. xthumbsupx All because the student athletes took the time to care about kids.

tomq04
September 29th, 2016, 08:52 AM
My dad graduated from SDSU and would take us to the Hobo Day game regularly. When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to do my own thing so I enrolled at Southwest Minnesota State University. After a year, I hated the small college atmosphere and transferred to SDSU. Fell in love with it the minute I stated attending school there and haven't looked back since.

My wife teases my constantly because one of the schools I looked at attending when I was a senior was NDSU. As she's bragging about all the National Titles NDSU has won, she reminds me that I could have been a Bison.

But you would have hated yourself for destroying your morals!

Bluefish845
September 29th, 2016, 08:56 AM
My mom and dad are SU grads, dad is 1 of 11 kids 5 boys 6 girls all of my dads brothers are SU grads 3 of his 6 sisters are SU grads all 3 married SU grads. When ever we have family gatherings my uncles are usually sitting around talking jaguar/swac football. We had everything from the 1950's to present day covered

Oh to be a fly and listen to those stories from 50's to today. Must a really cool experience.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Literally had zero choice. Was born in December and went to a basketball game in January. My dad graduated from UNI. My mom worked at the university. We lived in Cedar Falls. I then got both of my bachelor's degrees from UNI. I may have moved 1 year ago to Nebraska, but my allegiance stays strong. Although I do now cheer for the Huskers (have season tickets and fiance works for UNL), but UNI will always come first for both of us!

tomq04
September 29th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I went to EWU in 2006. Prior to that I never paid attention to non-nfl football whatsoever despite my high school being a regular state contender. For whatever reason I went to to the first home game and had so much fun I never missed another one in the next 5 years. Thankfully the 5th year (year after graduation) was the 2010 championship run, what a time to be a fan!

Unfortunately I can only make it to 1 game a year, but it's one of my favorite weekends of the year each time. My son is now old enough (4) that he comes to and has a blast hooping and hollering about the last catch the Cooper Kupp made.

WileECoyote06
September 29th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Was recruited by NCCU during the application process to become a North Carolina Teaching Fellow. I had visited the campus in my junior year and was impressed by the students who led our tour. By the time I got past the first round of the scholarship competition, NCCU became my first choice. I had also earned full scholarships to other schools, and was highly recruited by several 'national' universities, but NCCU charmed me like no other. I accepted the teaching fellows scholarship, and registered for NCCU classes before I even graduated from high school.

I became an NCCU football fan by osmosis. Before that, my favorite teams were Michigan and Clemson.

Bisonator
September 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Well you could say it was inevitable. I was born and raised 5 miles from NDSU's campus. Got my degree from there and am a proud alum.

Bison56
September 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I live in Fargo, what else is there other than being a Bison fan.:D

Hanca
September 29th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Dad went to Richmond on GI bill and played football. Stayed 1 semester and joined work force but stayed active with fellow GI's who did graduate. Started going to games at age 3. UR grad in '73 and Law School in '76 myself. Went to play basketball but short on talent. Son graduated from UR in "15. Have not missed a home game in 20+ years

BadlandsGrizFan
September 29th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Went to Missoula with my best friend to visit his sister who was attending. First time ever I thought it was the greatest city and campus I'd ever seen. Ever since that day I knew I wanted to go to school there.....also grew up watching them win championships in 2001 and during those amazing runs of the 2000s.....

been a Griz ever since!

Hammerhead
September 29th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Went to NYSP (National Youth Sports Program) camps for low-income children at NDSU when I was 11-16. We learned to play different sports like team handball, water polo, archery, along with basketball, soccer, etc. and got a free lunch. A few of the student-athletes were involved with the program along with a few assistant coaches.

I wanted to stay at home for college to save money and NDSU had the majors I was most interested in.

REALBird
September 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Accepted at Eastern Illinois, but never attended. Stayed home my first year, then set foot on the campus of Illinois State in the summer of 1990. Basically I haven't left since. Ironically, I knew a number of guys who went to UNI that graduated from my HS (ran track and played football). One of my roomies at Illinois State transferred from UNI. It wasn't until I came to this place that my dislike of UNI increased ten fold. (Just kidding).

My son has already decided he's going to Illinois State and he's 10. He made his verbal commitment when he was 8. LOL.

ysubigred
September 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM
When I was young I was lost in Antarctica and raise by Penguins!! xnodx

eiu1999
September 29th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Accepted at Eastern Illinois, but never attended. Stayed home my first year, then set foot on the campus of Illinois State in the summer of 1990. Basically I haven't left since. Ironically, I knew a number of guys who went to UNI that graduated from my HS (ran track and played football). One of my roomies at Illinois State transferred from UNI. It wasn't until I came to this place that my dislike of UNI increased ten fold. (Just kidding).

My son has already decided he's going to Illinois State and he's 10. He made his verbal commitment when he was 8. LOL.

Your life will never be complete.......

BEAR
September 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM
When I was young I was lost in Antarctica and raise by Penguins!! xnodx

Cool story bro...

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/forum/87000/87947_1374991498779_458_252.png

http://i.imgur.com/CYFmCMu.jpg

Mattymc727
September 29th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I feel like this thread pops up every year...but its fun so ill participate again.

I grew up in NH and was always obsessed with football. The Patriots kickstarted things when I was 11 and then i got into college football. Never really had a team to root for due to New England college football being so lackluster. When I was 14 i saw UNH play Georgia Southern in the playoffs for the first time on ESPN and realized that New Hampshire did actually have a football team. Been a fan ever since.

Ironically when it came to academics I chose not to go to UNH due to it being HS 2.0 and I wanted to create my own path/scholarship money lead me to RWU. I always ended up at UNH for parties during breaks so Im pretty familiar with the school. I honestly dont follow anything UNH related except the football team.

Yotes21
September 29th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I grew up in South Dakota and was somewhat of a SDSU fan as my brother and sister both went there when I was in grade school. My parents both went to USD. I knew I wanted to go into business and after comparing the B-schools it was an easy choice. I chose the best accredited B-school in the state.

REALBird
September 29th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Your life will never be complete.......

I'm doing OK eiu1999. Got a cool window sticker out of the deal..

kalm
September 29th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Dad was a football assistant and golf coach at Eastern but I was born in Missoula while he took a year to finish his PhD. Moved back to Cheney when I was 3 months and have been an Eagle ever since. I grew up a mile from Woodword (now the Inferno) spent my entire childhood around the PE department and athletics complex. Eventually played golf for Eastern and finished dead last in the 1993 Big Sky Conference Championships. Watched dad get posthumously inducted into the Eagle Athletics Hall of Fame which still gets me a little teary eyed.

Gil Dobie
Grew up in ND, Both Parents went to NDSU, but the clincher was watching NDSU beat Montana 30-3 and 30-16 in back to back Camellia Bowls in 1969 & 70, as a youth, clinched it. 1969 was for the National Championship.

Panther88
In high school, I applied and was accepted to Notre Dame. I remember bringing the letter home and showing my mom and she said "so how are you going to pay for it"

i actually didnt start college until I was 21 as I tended bar and worked for the Texas Rangers while I figured out what I wanted to do. I had a friend at SFA and went to check it out and fell in love with the campus and the professors. So I applied and in the fall of 2003 I became a Lumberjack

"You must spread reputation around before giving it to TheRevSFA again."

Great fortitude. Very admirable.

flyrod
September 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Thats leads to a long drawn out answer but here goesWent to and Grew up In Pennsylvania as A NITTANY LION, attended every home game for 2 years roomed same floor as Curt Warner, and Todd Blackledge, and Got to meet and be with thousands standing behind Joe PA which instilled College Football fever had to leave school and joined US Coast Guard while training found this great gal in Williamsburg that went to W&M. Got married, got out few years after she Graduated and Settled in VA just north of JMU. Kids grew up, Son went the Bio Science direction and is now working for his PHD at Michigan Tech ( of which i'm a Tech Hockey fan now) Daughter was a Competitive Gymnast and Cheerleader...She decided on VA Tech and made the Cheer team, but didn't like Tech and transferred to James Madison due to their excellent cheer program and offered the same areas of study too...So of course as good parents we go support her and in return get Football and Womens/Mens Basketball as a PERK!....now shes a 3 time NCA All American been to Daytona for the NCA Championships 4x, how do you not become a fan of the school when your kid is part of the Spirit program ...............hoping her last year is a chance for her to go to the NC game.

underdawg
September 29th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Mine is a strange story--originally from up state Illinois (near Galesburg Il) so went to undergrad school at WIU in mid 60's . Then went back to grad school in 1972 at SIU and became an SIU fan and stayed here.

JALMOND
September 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Moved to Portland from Montana when the Vikings transitioned to DI. At first went only to the games where the Viks played either Montana or Montana State. Saw PSU had some pretty competitive teams so went to more games and gradually became a PSU fan. Never was a Griz or Cat fan, but always enjoyed watching either team play. Also realized early on that PSU could use the support.

Silenoz
September 29th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I'm from Missoula, so pretty much a no-brainer

geaux_sioux
September 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Pretty simple. I was born.

bobcathpdevil56
September 29th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Well, when I was birthed, I was asked if I wanted a lifetime of heart break and suffering and I said yes

REALBird
September 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Well, when I was birthed, I was asked if I wanted a lifetime of heart break and suffering and I said yes

Thought that was only reserved for teams and schools I follow. Illinois State, Chicago Cubs, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia 76ers.

kalm
September 29th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Thought that was only reserved for teams and schools I follow. Illinois State, Chicago Cubs, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia 76ers.

That was living in Eastern Washington with the Seahawks, EWU, Mariners, WSU...then a couple things happened. Keep your chin up.

bobcathpdevil56
September 29th, 2016, 02:23 PM

Cheers to the pain friend!

ST_Lawson
September 29th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Also generally applies to fans of: Western Illinois, Cubs, Bears (especially this year)....like myself.

As for my story...

Quite literally grew in the shadow of WIU's Thompson Hall. Attended kindergarten through second grade at the university lab school, so Western has always been a part of my life. I decided to go to Western because I liked the marching band and I could save money by living at home (and get half off tuition due to my mom working for the university). I started paying attention to Leatherneck football in '96 when I became a freshman at WIU, was in the band, performed at all the home games, etc. I was in the band for 5 years and stayed in town when I graduated. Since I stayed close, I've been lucky enough to be able to attend all but 8 home games since the beginning of the '96 season.

dgtw
September 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=NY Crusader 2010;2384513]ASU33, sounds like you have quite the lineage, not to mention having had the honor to strap on the pads at the school you grew up dreaming of. That's awesome!

I appreciate that man. I my dad and I caught hell from a few ASU fans/alums when I decided to play my senior year for Coach Croom at Mississippi State. For a few years after that I really didn't feel welcomed at ASU like I'd felt my whole life prior to that.

At least you didn't move to A&M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GetEmGriz
September 29th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I became a fan of Montana my junior year of high school. I should preface that I didn't have much interest in football before my junior year and I had never been to a University of Montana football game until freshman year of college. During my junior HS year I was in the process of figuring out which college I wanted to attend and had no idea where I wanted to go. I played in my high school's pep band at football games which was really the beginning of my love for college football. One game the University of Montana's marching band came to one of our Friday night games to play music with us and perform a halftime show. They were decked out in their uniforms and acted as if it were a Griz football game. After that game I knew I wanted to go to UM.

Well fast forward to the semi-final playoff game against UMass on ESPN. That was the first game that I recall truly watching a Griz game, or any college football game for that matter, on TV. I noticed how loud the crowd was, how cool the Grizzly logo was, and how many fans were packed on national TV. I wanted to be a part of that environment and seeing that environment on TV solidified my decision to attend UM.

Fast forward to my freshman year at UM. I still hadn't experienced a live Griz game, and my first experience was on the field as the Griz ran out of the tunnel. It was so loud that I couldn't hear myself playing my trumpet. Goosebumps. That moment right there had me hooked for life, and ever since I've been a die hard. Now I'm married to a former Griz cheerleader (lifelong fan since she was 2 months old) and we have season tickets in the NEZ. And to think that one Friday night game my junior year of high school with a collegiate marching band was what started it all. Funny as I went there for the music but now it's only a hobby. I left with a business IT degree.

bojeta
September 29th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Saw my first Cal Poly game (vs UCSB) in the 60's when I was 5 years old. Poly won, I was hooked, and it became my dream to play football, and graduate from Cal Poly. Never got to play football there, but I graduated, as did my wife, and daughter years later. My granddaughter hopes to attend Cal Poly in two years xnodx Been following Mustang football for 50 years! Goooooooo... Mustangs! xdrunkyx

ASU33
September 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=ASU33;2384533]

At least you didn't move to A&M.

I was honestly going to spend my grad transfer year at LSU which was what I had my heart set on(I was raised in New Orleans) but unfortunately LSU made it clear to me that they didn't need me. Ellis Johnson was a crucial part of me going to Mississippi State. Coach Johnson recruited me in 2002 while he was the head coach at The Citadel and my defensive coordinator at ASU coached with him at Southern Miss in the 80s and at Alabama in the late 90s.

SeattleGriz
September 29th, 2016, 07:46 PM
I was going to attend Montana State, because that is where all the farm kids in our area of Montana went, but then my father moved to Missoula. Went there to save money.

Have known nothing but pure awesomeness in regards to the UM.

Of course I was one of the first to defect from MSU and go to that "damn hippie school".

TheValleyRaider
September 29th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Started at Colgate in 2003. Spent 4 years in the Pep Band, so I went to every home game and a few road games every year. That included trips to Florida and Chattanooga as a freshman.

I was probably always going to be a fan, but starting with one of the greatest seasons in school history? Hooked xnodx

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 29th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Watching NDSU vs UND games on tv in the late 70's and early 80's.

neverobeyed
September 29th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Grew up within a mile of campus; watched outdoor games at the old Latham Field; got to hang out in the Century Club room in elementary school and eat sandwiches and drink soda during games because my friend's dad was a member (also got us into the locker room for the alumni games each spring - still remember guys on the alumni team pulling packs of cigarettes that had been stuffed in their waistbands and having a smoke during halftime); sold popcorn and soda in the UNI-Dome while in junior high (back when we carried trays of it through the crowd, up and down the aisles); skateboarded all over that campus in junior high ... hell, half my graduating class (about 500) was there at some point in our college careers ... eleven degrees among my and my wife's family, including two for me.

Probably a common story if you ask CFHS grads from the '60s, '70s and '80s. Lots of CFHS and metro five players on the UNI roster in the '70s - they were gods to us.

Sader87
September 29th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Father an alum ('50), went to many games as a kid in the 70s.....nevah played at HC, did the games on the college radio station.

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2016, 10:38 AM
My dad was one of the most well known professors to ever teach at Chattanooga (Geology) from 1958-1994. He took me to games when I was a kid as far back as 1969. I went to many roads games with him as well. I also attended the university from '81-'84 and all 3 of my sisters graduated from Chattanooga. So you can see why I have a passion for this school.

CatsWin
September 30th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Graduated from Villanova in 1982. We were playing the Clemsons, Marylands, & BCs of the world for 3 years and for the most part not doing all that well. They dropped football during my senior year and revived it in 1985. Have been a football season ticket holder since 1985 and basketball since 1984. I brought my kids up the right way and got them hooked on Villanova sports from a young age. One graduated in 2015 and the other will graduate in 2019. My wife is also Villanova class of 1985. (The only class never to see a Villanova football game during their 4 years on campus.)

GO CATS!!!!

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 30th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I came out of the womb bathed in green light, nursed on bison milk I grew strong in my fandom. When i was weened off of the milk bison lore sustained me. Now only championships satiate my appetite.

drpnut
September 30th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I am a Wofford grad and while there had scholarship money from basketball and football. And will clarify that that money was to be a student manager, go-fer, media person, and laundry man, and whatever else need to be done. I had a great time, learned a lot and would do it again. It allowed me to be involved in sports and help pay for school.

KPSUL
September 30th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I didn't get accepted by Dartmouth.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2016, 06:40 AM
Graduated from NDSU and was a fan of the D2 team since the early 80s.

One twin now goes to NDSU.

MUfan
October 1st, 2016, 08:33 AM
Raised by Bears, actual Bears.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 1st, 2016, 09:53 AM
I grew up in Montana and since there is really only one D1 program in the state you just root for the Griz or Carroll. Lots of guys from my high school played at UM so it was easy to root for them through the late 80s and 90s

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SFA 93
October 1st, 2016, 11:54 AM
dart throw to a map

ytownchief22
October 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
Grew up in the 90's, 10 minutes from the stadium... Enough said lol.

dgtw
October 1st, 2016, 12:00 PM
I married a Jax State grad.

aceinthehole
October 1st, 2016, 12:06 PM
Growing up in Southwestern Connecticut (NYC suburbs) in the early 1980s everyone follows the NFL. Basically everyone is either a Giants or Jets fan. Before cable, College sports (outside of Big East basketball) just didn't exist to anyone, unless they were an alumni of a particular school. We were dominated by pro sports - NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.

Im the fist one in the family to attend college (although my uncle did graduate from Cal Poly SLO), so I didn't start following CCSU until I attended. Went to very few home football games as a student and when I did I was working the concessions. Came from strong H.S. basketball program (they won the State title in my senior year at CCSU gym) so was a much bigger fan of the basketball team.

After moving to DC, became more involved and followed football closer as an alumni and athletic booster.

October 1st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Met some of the Bison players in acting class at NDSU. Drank mass quantities of alcohol at Dakota Field while freezing my #$@ off. That resulted in a trauma bond with the Bison! And what year did I graduate??

GAD
October 2nd, 2016, 11:33 AM
Oh to be a fly and listen to those stories from 50's to today. Must a really cool experience.
VERY! cool My oldest uncle had a photographic memory so he recalled everything in detail, he was in school when Eddie Robinson was at Grambling, Jake Gaither was at FAMU, and Billy Nicks was at Prairie View he use to say back then Prairie View probably had the best teams he had ever seen.

centennial
October 2nd, 2016, 11:55 AM
I have a BS in Computer Engineering from NDSU. Went to a bunch of games while I was in school. Became a fan.

Schism55
October 2nd, 2016, 01:00 PM
NDSU started recruting my brother in 86. He played on the 88 and 90 national title teams. I attended every ndsu game from 86-98. A lot of those were cold mother****ers!!
I am an NDSU alumnus as well.

bjtheflamesfan
October 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
I started at Liberty in the fall of 2002, joined the Liberty University Marching Band in 2003, marched from 2003-2008, graduated "thank the laude" in 2009, came back for a year as a student manager in 2010 and have always been a Liberty fan through all the ups and downs (although if you looked at our message board some folks would rather run like cockroaches from the school and the team) and three different head coaches.

DawnBTVS
October 4th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Been a long time fan of UMass (since moved up to FBS level) as a kid going back to when I was around 8-9 when Marcus Camby was playing hoops there. Since the college I attended didn't have a football program but was based in New Hampshire (Colby-Sawyer College), I started latching onto New Hampshire as well largely because I started watching FCS football in earnest around 2003 when Chip Kelly was just starting his run there. Now it's gotten to a point where living in MA, it helps that NESN and NESN+ air CAA games pretty routinely so it's easier to follow them.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2016, 09:46 AM
McNeese Grad and followed the team off and on through the 90's. Since 2000 I have missed 9 out of 191 games (paltry showing considering "The Streak" of another fan currently should be somewhere north of 400 consecutive games attended)

IndyTreeFan
October 4th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I'll jump in. My entire family has graduated from Indiana State. I'm talking over 20 relatives, including my mom and dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. My dad was Director of Admissions at ISU when I was little. My first ISU experience was going to see a young man my dad had brought home for dinner and some fishing play his first basketball game for ISU. (I was 6, I really didn't want to go, but my dad said, "Son, Larry is really going to miss you if you don't come see him." It worked.) Became a basketball NUT during the 76-79 seasons at ISU, was at every home game, and my dad didn't miss ANY games. I remember going to football games around that time, too. I had my pitching arm ruined by a shoulder rub given to me by Tommy John while he was talking to my parents at a homecoming game (mom went to high school with him). OK, so he didn't really ruin it, but I remember how strong he was and how much it hurt, but hey, it was Tommy John, I wasn't moving! I was there for every football game during our high-water seasons of 83 and 84, including all the games spent at #1 in 1984. Also including the stupid playoff loss to MTSU that season. I remember when crowds of 15,000 weren't unusual for our football team, even when they were bad. But I got to see, meet, and in some cases, get to know Larry Bird, Kurt Thomas, Bruce Baumgartner, Vencie Glenn, Wayne Davis, Carl Nicks, Mel Daniels, and a host of other people associated with our athletic teams who went on to success in the "major leagues" of their sports, whether that was playing or coaching.

I was hooked by that time. It's pretty much been 30+ years of crap since then, but my blood runs Royal Blue and at this point, there's nothing I can do to stop it...

BEAR
October 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Here's the crazy thing about my fandom for UCA. Apart from the fact they had me hooked in elementary school.

When I graduated from high school I applied for 3 colleges. UCA, ASU, and U-A Fayetteville. UA-Fayetteville sent me a welcome letter. UCA sent me a welcome letter. ASU never did. UCA had the degree I wanted. So I went.

10 years after I first applied to Arkansas State I got a phone call from a family member. She said "are you applying to ASU?" I replied no. I started worrying that someone had stolen my identity! I drove home that weekend worried. When I arrived home my mum gave me the letter from ASU. It was dated April 9, 1990. WTH? I looked at the front of the envelope and the stamp was also dated 10 years ago! I noticed the corner of the envelope was covered in what appeared to be an oil or grease of some kind and it had been worn down over and over. It had gotten stuck in one of the mail box hinges and was never delivered! When I contacted the Arkansas State post office they told me they had recently removed a mailbox from near campus and found a letter that had been stuck in it. Oh wow! It had to be fate. xlolx xthumbsupx I'll try to post a picture of it sometime soon.