PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-26

JALMOND
September 26th, 2016, 10:56 PM
It does help these rankings to have a few conference marquee matchups to start the conference season as it does clear some things up. What is interesting is that Idaho State currently has more conference wins than Montana or Northern Arizona, something that may change as the year goes on (or maybe not). Here are this week's conference power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only so take it as you may.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Northern Arizona 50-35, this week UC-Davis at home---Eagles are going to score regardless of who is quarterbacking. Can anyone in the conference stop them?

2. Cal Poly (3)---Last week beat Montana at home 42-41, this week at North Dakota---Did you believe in the Mustangs after they beat South Dakota State? Or did you wait until Montana? Or are you still waiting to see how they do against North Dakota?

3. Montana (2)---Last week lost at Cal Poly 42-41, this week Southern Utah at home---The Grizzlies gave all they had last week but came up just short in the end. Things don't get any easier this weekend.

4. Southern Utah (6)---Last week beat Portland State at home 45-31, this week at Montana---The Thunderbirds showed Portland State they are not a bunch of Whos in Whoville. Now one to Montana.

5. North Dakota (5)---Last week won at Montana State 17-15, this week Cal Poly at home---The Hawks had a tougher than expected game, but still were able to come out on top.

6. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 50-35, this week at Northern Colorado---The Jacks took their best shot at the Eagles, yet still came out on the short end. Is it time to regroup?

7. Montana State (8)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 17-15, this week at Sacramento State---The Bobcats put quite a scare in the Hawks at home. Are they beginning to approach the top this year?

8. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week bye, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Bears took last week off to prepare for the Lumberjacks this weekend. if they want to be mentioned with the big boys, they need a win.

9. Portland State (7)---Last week lost at Southern Utah 45-31, this week Idaho State at home---The sharp increase in turnovers as well the lack of a pass defense has to be alarming to the Vikings at this point of the year.

10. Weber State (9)---Last week won at UC-Davis 38-35, this week bye---The Wildcats were supposed to be a darkhorse contender this year but two close wins over the lower tier of the conference has a few scratching their heads.

11. UC-Davis (11)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 38-35, this week at Eastern Washington---The Aggies get their turn at the mighty Eagle team after a close loss at home to the Wildcats.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 42-34, this week at Portland State---The Bengals outlasted the Hornets last week. Can they duplicate the feat this week as they face the reeling Vikings.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost at Idaho State 42-34, this week Montana State at home---Once again, the Hornets did not quit against a conference opponent. This week's opponent is a bit more formidable.

RECAP: 1-3 packed together, 4-6 just a step back, 7-10 trying to keep up, 11-12 still holding, 13 staying put

SeattleBobcat
September 26th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure we're better than Portland State. While I think our D is legit, we have 0 offense. and without an offense your not going to win many games.

Grizalltheway
September 26th, 2016, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure we're better than Portland State. While I think our D is legit, we have 0 offense. and without an offense your not going to win many games.

Not sure you can really say your D is "legit" based on the opposition so far. Slow down NAU and you may be on to something...

JALMOND
September 26th, 2016, 11:28 PM

Without a pass defense in this conference, you aren't going to win any games. Bobcats have looked good against Idaho and North Dakota. Vikings' defense looked terrible in all the games so far, including against CWU.

ClassB
September 27th, 2016, 12:03 AM
I think UND suffers a bit from sub-par kicking last week and a late let-up against MSU, but thats okay - we haven't really earned anything yet. Really looking forward to strength on strength w/CP coming to town next weekend.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2016, 12:40 AM
I think UND suffers a bit from sub-par kicking last week and a late let-up against MSU, but thats okay - we haven't really earned anything yet. Really looking forward to strength on strength w/CP coming to town next weekend.
Sup-par kicking yes. Late game let-up? Not how I would characterize a game that you were behind until almost the end of the third qtr.

It was a game between two teams with decent defenses and lousy offenses (at least on that day). The team that made fewer mistakes won, as it should be. Hopefully both our teams will find an offense quickly.

nodak651
September 27th, 2016, 01:33 AM
Sup-par kicking yes. Late game let-up? Not how I would characterize a game that you were behind until almost the end of the third qtr.

It was a game between two teams with decent defenses and lousy offenses (at least on that day). The team that made fewer mistakes won, as it should be. Hopefully both our teams will find an offense quickly.

This. I think we have a great chance to beat Cal Poly this week though. Our D did pretty well containing their run offense last year.

F'N Hawks
September 27th, 2016, 08:31 AM

UND was up 7-6 at halftime. Not that it matters, both offenses were F'n ugly.

geaux_sioux
September 27th, 2016, 08:42 AM
There was no late game let up. You guys made a play to get back in it just like we made a play to seal it.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 27th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Cal-Poly won their annual super bowl against Montana....now theyll begin to slide like they do every year.....watch them play .500 ball here on out

Catbooster
September 27th, 2016, 10:46 AM
UND was up 7-6 at halftime. Not that it matters, both offenses were F'n ugly.
Mea Culpa - I said that wrong. There were lead changes.

My point was that "late game let-up" implies to me that a team had the game in hand then relaxed and let the other team catch up. This game didn't seem like that to me. Both teams were fighting all the way, trying to get some consistency on offense.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Cal-Poly won their annual super bowl against Montana....now theyll begin to slide like they do every year.....watch them play .500 ball here on out

I would be really surprised if that happened. If it was only against the Griz I would agree, but they have been playing at a high level all season. In spite of how bad SDSUs defense was against them, they are an impressive offense. We were able to stop TCU more than we stopped them. I wouldn't be shocked if they take the conference from EWU.

F'N Hawks
September 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Mea Culpa - I said that wrong. There were lead changes.

My point was that "late game let-up" implies to me that a team had the game in hand then relaxed and let the other team catch up. This game didn't seem like that to me. Both teams were fighting all the way, trying to get some consistency on offense.

Agreed. Both teams were fighting to do anything on offense but couldn't sustain a damn thing.

BisonTru
September 27th, 2016, 11:29 AM
What's the deal with Cookus? I have heard people ask, but haven't seen a response. TIA.

Silenoz
September 27th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I would be really surprised if that happened. If it was only against the Griz I would agree, but they have been playing at a high level all season. In spite of how bad SDSUs defense was against them, they are an impressive offense. We were able to stop TCU more than we stopped them. I wouldn't be shocked if they take the conference from EWU.
I hope you're right. I'm tired of seeing them look like world-beaters against us (though we may have something to do with that), and then finish out the season poorly.

nevadagriz
September 27th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I really like the Griz Defense against "normal" offenses. If Montana gets the production from the offense we saw saturday the griz will be something special.
I honestly feel Montana matches up better against ewu and nau offenses then that damn triple option.

If Poly stays healthy at Qb,rb and fb they will win the rest of their games.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 27th, 2016, 01:25 PM

Check back with me at the end of October.....it will be Montana and EWU fighting for the conference

GetEmGriz
September 27th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Montana's defense did as good of a job as you can against a triple option team like Cal Poly, and on the road too. Turnovers killed Montana with two short-field TDs for Poly. If this game were to be played again in November, I'd have to bet Montana wins. I want a playoff rematch in Missoula.

Cal Poly has an opportunity to have a great season as long as they remain healthy.

slostang
September 27th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Cal-Poly won their annual super bowl against Montana....now theyll begin to slide like they do every year.....watch them play .500 ball here on outThey have won their last three Super Bowls and 4 of 6 (would be 5 of 6 if Montana had not blocked a chip shot FG in 2013). Just saying...

deez_na
September 27th, 2016, 04:20 PM
If UND has an offensive coordinator they would have beat Montana St with ease.

Grizalltheway
September 27th, 2016, 04:36 PM
They have won their last three Super Bowls and 4 of 6 (would be 5 of 6 if Montana had not blocked a chip shot FG in 2013). Just saying...

And approximately 0 playoff wins in that span. So maybe the Super Bowl concept isn't that far off the mark...xpeacex

mvemjsunpx
September 27th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Montana's defense did as good of a job as you can against a triple option team like Cal Poly, and on the road too.

No. Leaving receivers wide open on 3rd. & long multiple times was the biggest killer.

The D also didn't do much to turn CP back after the turnovers. The 'Stangs scored 2 touchdowns in 3 plays.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 27th, 2016, 04:43 PM
And approximately 0 playoff wins in that span. So maybe the Super Bowl concept isn't that far off the mark...xpeacex

The way your team celebrates after they get a win against Montana tells you how important the game is to Poly...when the Griz beat Poly there is no difference from any other game....tho that has been a while lol.

nevadagriz
September 27th, 2016, 05:13 PM
The way your team celebrates after they get a win against Montana tells you how important the game is to Poly...when the Griz beat Poly there is no difference from any other game....tho that has been a while lol. not sure about the team, but I'm going to celebrate like a mofo when the griz beat cal-poly!

geaux_sioux
September 27th, 2016, 05:24 PM
If it really is their Super Bowl there should be a noticeable hangover the next week.

2015 - W against Montana followed by 3 losses and a terrible season
2014 - W against Montana followed by a win against MSU
2013 - L to Montana followed by L to Yale
2012 - No Super Bowl 9 win season with a 2 pt loss to SHSU
2011 - L to Montana followed by 1 win against SDSU
2010 - W against Montana followed by 1 L to "FBS" Texas State
2009 - L to Montana followed by 2 wins
2008 - L to Montana followed by 7 wins and a playoff birth

Looks pretty inconclusive to me.

SeattleBobcat
September 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Not sure you can really say your D is "legit" based on the opposition so far. Slow down NAU and you may be on to something...

We slowed down Santiago, this defense is far and away a different animal than the past 3 years. I do love that you're giving me ***** for calling our D "legit"; when prior to CP all of griznation was gloating about their NFL defense, and much better Semore is than TG... Then CP drops 42 on you. So I will take your opinion with a grain of salt.

mvemjsunpx
September 27th, 2016, 07:58 PM
We slowed down Santiago, this defense is far and away a different animal than the past 3 years. I do love that you're giving me ***** for calling our D "legit"; when prior to CP all of griznation was gloating about their NFL defense, and much better Semore is than TG... Then CP drops 42 on you. So I will take your opinion with a grain of salt.

You got ripped up by Oliveira, though. The Bobcat defense is better than it was, but the improvement doesn't offset the massive dropoff at the QB position.

Grizalltheway
September 27th, 2016, 08:16 PM

Sounds like you're taking it with an entire salt mine. xlolx

No one knows how the Cat defense would fare against a team like CP, because you've only played offensive juggernauts like Idaho, Western Oregon, Bryant and UND. That's all I'm saying.

SeattleBobcat
September 27th, 2016, 08:27 PM
You got ripped up by Oliveira, though. The Bobcat defense is better than it was, but the improvement doesn't offset the massive dropoff at the QB position.

I'm not saying it is, in fact my original hinted that I thought the Cats should be ranked lower. Oliveira had some good runs, he ripped off a 60 yarder late in the game, but it was also after a massive substitution too. Nowhere have I claimed we are the best in the conference or the country or any absurd claims like that, I said they were legit, and I think UND fans would agree. I mean we turned the ball over 5 times and still almost came back, our D did some work that day.

geaux_sioux
September 28th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I'm not saying it is, in fact my original hinted that I thought the Cats should be ranked lower. Oliveira had some good runs, he ripped off a 60 yarder late in the game, but it was also after a massive substitution too. Nowhere have I claimed we are the best in the conference or the country or any absurd claims like that, I said they were legit, and I think UND fans would agree. I mean we turned the ball over 5 times and still almost came back, our D did some work that day.

I would call it massively improved. Our OL is also a mess right now unlike last year when we played so that must be factored in for Santiagos lack of success. It reminds me of our D when Bubba took over the first year. The main difference is our offense was set up to help our defense way better than yours is. Clock eating with a spread is tough to do.

nevadagriz
September 28th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I had originally agreed with your rankings until I took time to read a couple Griz message boards. I gotta say from what I read you have Montana ranked waaaay to high. This coach and team are terrible and may never win again. They will not win this weekend against a SUU defense that according to posters is the greatest defense the Griz will face all year (until next week)xcoffeex

I beleive everything I read on there because A. its on the interwebs so it must be true and B. all the posters are coaches or former coaches that could do better xcoachx
:Dxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

lionsrking2
September 28th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I had originally agreed with your rankings until I took time to read a couple Griz message boards. I gotta say from what I read you have Montana ranked waaaay to high. This coach and team are terrible and may never win again. They will not win this weekend against a SUU defense that according to posters is the greatest defense the Griz will face all year (until next week)xcoffeex

I beleive everything I read on there because A. its on the interwebs so it must be true and B. all the posters are coaches or former coaches that could do better xcoachx

I have no dog in the fight but we played SUU a couple of weeks ago and they're pretty good, much better than the SUU team that came to our place in 2014. While they are solid defensively, I was more impressed with their offense, especially the QB and receivers who played out of their mind against us. They also have a quality running back and a decent offensive line. We moved the ball well against them, and were up by 10 early, but just didn't have it enough and turned the ball over in the red zone while driving once. I've watched Montana play a couple of times on TV and I expect a pretty even game, physically, with the edge going to the Griz at home.

nevadagriz
September 28th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I have no dog in the fight but we played SUU a couple of weeks ago and they're pretty good, much better than the SUU team that came to our place in 2014. While they are solid defensively, I was more impressed with their offense, especially the QB and receivers who played out of their mind against us. They also have a quality running back and a decent offensive line. We moved the ball well against them, and were up by 10 early, but just didn't have it enough and turned the ball over in the red zone while driving once. I've watched Montana play a couple of times on TV and I expect a pretty even game, physically, with the edge going to the Griz at home.

I agree SUU is a very solid team and it will be a close game. As far as the Griz go who knows what you will get from week to week. I hope they stick to the quick passes, it allowed the team to get first downs and it scored alot of points last week. If i remeber correctly only 1or2 3and outs and only one punt????

SeattleBobcat
September 28th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Are you sure you didn't accidently go to Bobcatnation, right?

grizband
September 30th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Are you sure you didn't accidently go to Bobcatnation, right?
His account is pretty much dead on with the overall tone of the Griz message boards. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
September 30th, 2016, 03:43 PM
His account is pretty much dead on with the overall tone of the Griz message boards. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think it happens every where. Go read Bisonville on the rare occasion we lose. Fire all the coaches, bench all the players, repeat for 30 pages.

Grizalltheway
September 30th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I think it happens every where. Go read Bisonville on the rare occasion we lose. Fire all the coaches, bench all the players, repeat for 30 pages.

I guess it's not a bad thing for a program's fans to have high expectations, but a lot of people seem to forget that it is, in fact, just a game.

Silenoz
September 30th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I guess it's not a bad thing for a program's fans to have high expectations, but a lot of people seem to forget that it is, in fact, just a game.

What are you talking about? The number of Griz wins directly correlates to the size of my house, the number of kids I have, and my salary. Win dammit!

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 30th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Montana's defense did as good of a job as you can against a triple option team like Cal Poly, and on the road too. Turnovers killed Montana with two short-field TDs for Poly. If this game were to be played again in November, I'd have to bet Montana wins. I want a playoff rematch in Missoula.

Cal Poly has an opportunity to have a great season as long as they remain healthy.

They gave up 40+ points......sugar coat however you want but that is beyond pathetic defense. We didnt get it done because we dont have the players or coaching staff to be elite. PERIOD.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 30th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Montana is a legit 18-22 team.