PDA

View Full Version : UNI Dome question for non Iowans...

crunifan
January 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Okay, so I was talking with a fellow Gateway fan earlier and they were not from Iowa. And he kept saying something that I thought was extremely interesting.

So I have a question for all you people that are not followers of UNI. How do you pronounce UNI-Dome?

This man kept saying U-N-I Dome, when it is actually pronounced "you knee"-Dome. I thought it was funny.

HiHiYikas
January 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I would have said You-In-Eye dome, since you guys are You-In-Eye. I'd use something like goasu.com, which is pronounced go-A-S-U.com, and not GO-su or GO-ah-shu, as precedent.

You-nee-dome makes sense, though.

Freightliner
January 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've always known it as the "you knee" dome,

probably because I was at the dome back in the Kurt Warner days.

MR. CHICKEN
January 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
YOU-KNEE DOME......MID-ATLANTIC.....PRONOUNCIATION...;)...BRAWK!

FREIGHTLINER.....BEAT ME TA DUH PUNCH!...SHOULD AH DELETE.......NAH!

FlyYtown
January 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
YOU KNEE DOME LOL!

mistersykes
January 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
When I pronounce it in my head while reading about anything UNI, I pronounce it "you-in-eye". Do you say "you-knee" for the school as well, or just the dome?

Cocky
January 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
It isn't brought up very much in Alabama, but I would have called U-N-I Dome. The other reminds me of the bomber.

crunifan
January 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Wow, this kind of surprises me. I don't know why I would assume everyone would call it that, seeing as most of you have never even been to Iowa.

We say just "you-in-eye" when we talk about the school, only the dome is called "you-knee."

In fact, that was the other thing that was funny. The guy (he was from Indiana State if anyone cares) kept referring to us as Northern Iowa, which we NEVER do. It's always UNI.

This is far to interesting to me. xidiotx :p

mistersykes
January 5th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Wow, this kind of surprises me. I don't know why I would assume everyone would call it that, seeing as most of you have never even been to Iowa.

We say just "you-in-eye" when we talk about the school, only the dome is called "you-knee."

In fact, that was the other thing that was funny. The guy (he was from Indiana State if anyone cares) kept referring to us as Northern Iowa, which we NEVER do. It's always UNI.

This is far to interesting to me. xidiotx :p

I know what you mean. I was the same way when I was younger and heard someone mention the "app-ah-lay-chin" mountains. Regional differences are really cool to learn about. If it was written "unidome", then everyone would get the pronounciation better.

UAalum72
January 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Almost no one from the outside would have any cause to refer to the dome at all unless they were already talking about the University of Northern Iowa

Using initials is usually a localism, when there's only one school you're likely to be talking about. An outsider has to distinguish in his own mind that he's not talking about Northern Illinois.

See also discussions about who is the 'real' GSU.

rokamortis
January 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I always thought of it as 'yoo nee dome'. But I also call UNI 'you nee' as well :o

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
YOU-KNEE DOME......MID-ATLANTIC.....PRONOUNCIATION...;)...BRAWK!

FREIGHTLINER.....BEAT ME TA DUH PUNCH!...SHOULD AH DELETE.......NAH!
Don't cha mean Mid-Lantic? ;)

I would have said U-N-I Dome. I like unidome though. Do they carry your home games on univision?

RabidRabbit
January 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Inspecting the construction of the Domes (both UNI & Dakota) back in the late 70's, I have always thought of it, and heard it on broadcast days as "you knee" Dome.

Hard to believe that we've already exceeded the anticipated life of the inflated roofs that used to cover those domes. Are the MetroDome (Mpls) and the U of Florida BB center still air inflated roof systems? :confused:

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
The Metrodome is air inflated still.

Back to the post, I've read it as U-N-I Dome. And I've always said Appa-lay-shun until coming to this board.

We're always referred to as the Dakotas like we're one big happy state. There is a difference when you cross that imaginary line. Happy Friday everyone! :)

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
The Metrodome is air inflated still.

Back to the post, I've read it as U-N-I Dome. And I've always said Appa-lay-shun until coming to this board.

We're always referred to as the Dakotas like we're one big happy state. There is a difference when you cross that imaginary line. Happy Friday everyone! :)
Don't worry about it. We lump the Carolinas together too. It's what we, the people in other states that get along with each other, do to try and promote peace and unity. :rotateh:
The Appa-lay-shun Mountains run through my state too. They run up to New England. It's the proper pronounciation.

89Hen
January 5th, 2007, 08:51 AM
That's how I've always done it.

The one that I incorrectly pronounced until two years ago was McNeese. I always used Mc instead of Mac. I had no idea they used the incorrect pronounciation in Lake Charles. :p

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
The Appa-lay-shun Mountains run through my state too. They run up to New England. It's the proper pronounciation.

So its the Appa-lay-shun Mountains and App-ah-latch-un State University.

Gotcha, :confused: :confused: :confused:

And is it Iowans or Iowegians? :smiley_wi

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Don't worry about it. We lump the Carolinas together too. It's what we, the people in other states that get along with each other, do to try and promote peace and unity. :rotateh:
In your neck of the woods. :smiley_wi

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
ASU can pronounce it how ever they want. But get outside 100 miles from Boone, and you call the mountains th "App-ah-latch-uns". You get a double take.

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
ASU can pronounce it how ever they want. But get outside 100 miles from Boone, and you call the mountains th "App-ah-latch-uns". You get a double take.
Not if you're still in the south.

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Check it out, we're all right!
Websters has three different prononciation!
a-p-'lA-ch(E-)&n
a-p-'lA-sh(E-)&n
a-p-'la-ch(E-)&n

I know I've mentioned this before, but people from the South consider Maryland the North, and people from the North, even in neighboring Pennsylvania, consider Maryland a Southern state.

It's hard fight the fight both ways.

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I consider South Dakota a southern state...

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I consider South Dakota a southern state...
xlolx xlolx
I wonder, is there a party out there that dreams of unifying? Like Germany did and Ireland and Koreans dream of?
:smiley_wi

89Hen
January 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I know I've mentioned this before, but people from the South consider Maryland the North, and people from the North, even in neighboring Pennsylvania, consider Maryland a Southern state.

It's hard fight the fight both ways.
The don't call us the Old Line State for nothing.

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM
xlolx xlolx
I wonder, is there a party out there that dreams of unifying? Like Germany did and Ireland and Koreans dream of?
:smiley_wi

Yeah it's been brought up. Or just dropping the name "North" because it is viewed a a negative term and means "cold". : smh :

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
The don't call us the Old Line State for nothing.
It's very confusing sometimes. I identify with both sides on differing issues.
People don't understand why the need to separate this little area as Mid-Atlantic. It's only two states, and hell, Delaware is only 3 counties.

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Where do you guys think you fit? N or S?

89Hen
January 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM
and hell, Delaware is only 3 counties.
Two really. New Castle for Wilmington and UD and Sussex for the beaches. I think DE should give Kent to Maryland. :p

89Hen
January 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Both. Seriously. The urban areas are very Northern feeling, but the rural areas are definitely Southern. You'll actually see stars and bars flying in parts of MD and DE.

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Two really. New Castle for Wilmington and UD and Sussex for the beaches. I think DE should give Kent to Maryland. :p
Truth be told, if it weren't for the tourism money at OC, Maryland would probably give the whol Eastern Shore to DE. But that's just the William Donald Shaeffer coming out in me. :smiley_wi

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM
It depends. I live a couple blocks from Baltimore City, so I'm in an urban setting for sure. Which identifies me with the North. But get on the road and head off the 95 corridor and your in cow and pastures in less than an hour.
Virginia thinks we're a Northern state, Pennsylvania thinks were a Southern state.
It really depends on the topic.

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I'd say you're an Eastern state

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'd say you're an Eastern state
:thumbsup: But that's a Lambert Cup discussion. :rotateh:
It's a Civil War thing, you newer states wouldn't understand.

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
:thumbsup: But that's a Lambert Cup discussion. :rotateh:
It's a Civil War thing, you newer states wouldn't understand.

That's right, we're the young buck. 1889 baby. My ancestors were fishing off the coast of Norway when that was all happening.

HiHiYikas
January 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Generally, I've learned that you pretty much have to pronounce things the way the locals do, unless you live someplace else.

I knew several people named Parham back in NC, all PAH-rum. I move to Richmond, where Parham road runs through the city, and it's PAIR-um. You tell someone that you live near PAH-rum road, and they laugh. I said Colo-RAH-do my whole life, until I worked in Colorado, where I was told several times that it's Colo-RADD-oh.

According to reference.com, the only listed pronunciation for Apalachee, the name of the tribe for whom de Soto's expedition named the mountains, is App-uh-latch-ee. This could be just another case of English speakers mispronouncing a word borrowed from a non-English language.

Then again, Wikipedia notes that the first pronunciation, with an English 'long a' (as in "bay"), is favored in the northern parts of the range as well as outside of the area. The second pronunciation, with a 'short a' (as in "cat"), is favored in the southern part of the mountain range and in the Piedmont region, such as in Virginia and the Carolinas. The 'short a' pronunciation is used for Appalachian State University of Boone, North Carolina.

swaghook
January 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I've always pronounced it as "you-knee". I thought of it as short for "universal". Guess when I think of the school, I think Northern Iowa and not UNI. Although UNI is obviously a correct term as well.

LeopardFan04
January 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
When I read it, I always think of it as "U-N-I" and the "U-N-I Dome"

BearsCountry
January 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I have always wondered why the dome was "un-knee" and the school was "u-n-eye"

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
That's right, we're the young buck. 1889 baby. My ancestors were fishing off the coast of Norway when that was all happening.
Mine were in Ireland.

Generally, I've learned that you pretty much have to pronounce things the way the locals do, unless you live someplace else.

I knew several people named Parham back in NC, all PAH-rum. I move to Richmond, where Parham road runs through the city, and it's PAIR-um. You tell someone that you live near PAH-rum road, and they laugh. I said Colo-RAH-do my whole life, until I worked in Colorado, where I was told several times that it's Colo-RADD-oh.

According to reference.com, the only listed pronunciation for Apalachee, the name of the tribe for whom de Soto's expedition named the mountains, is App-uh-latch-ee. This could be just another case of English speakers mispronouncing a word borrowed from a non-English language.

Then again, Wikipedia notes that the first pronunciation, with an English 'long a' (as in "bay"), is favored in the northern parts of the range as well as outside of the area. The second pronunciation, with a 'short a' (as in "cat"), is favored in the southern part of the mountain range and in the Piedmont region, such as in Virginia and the Carolinas. The 'short a' pronunciation is used for Appalachian State University of Boone, North Carolina.
You are correct. Local pronunciation is the correct pronounciation.
It's still funny to laugh at the differences. We can all agree, its just funny how Canadians fully pronounce the "U" in words.

AggiePride
January 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
All that is lost out here in the west. Always used U-N-I, or for App. the actual pronunciation of the mountian range the school is named after.

bison95
January 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
In this part of Iowa it is called Harlan High schools "other" home field.

Actually they say uuuuunnneee here, so I call it U-N-I- just to piss em off!

crunifan
January 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Using initials is usually a localism, when there's only one school you're likely to be talking about. An outsider has to distinguish in his own mind that he's not talking about Northern Illinois.

Northern Illinois is NIU, we actually have UNI copyrighted. But I do see your point. UNI uses our initials far more than most schools though. I've said it before, but growing up, lots of kids don't even know what UNI stands for. Plus, all of my Panther gear saying UNI. I don't have anything that says "Northern Iowa." In fact, I'm not quite sure if they make any with just that...