PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 5 Predictions

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 09:06 AM
It is upon us, the gloriousness that is MVFC conference play. Where the weak are destroyed and humiliated, and the strong emerge as top seeds and title favorites. Similarly, if you had less than 15 points and did not pick last week, you have been eliminated from the scoreboard. Here are the rankings:

Thumper 76: 28
mmiller_34: 27
dewey: 26
Trumpster: 26
ST_Lawson: 26
The Yo Show: 26
REALBird: 24
BisonFanInNWMN: 24
BisonTru: 24
Twenty Six: 24
Gil Dolbie: 24
Paladin1aa: 23
clenz: 23
Yotes21: 23
WTFCollegefootballfan: 22
Professor Chaos: 22
POD Knows: 22
MR CHICKEN: 22
May vile Bison: 21
EIU1999: 19
X-Factor: 17
bonarae: 16
jayhawkdaddy: 16
leatherneck177: 15
TheKingpin28: 15
Bison56: 14
JSUSoutherner: 13
DCWIU11: 10
underdawg: 8
ysubigred: 6

I will be dropping everyone next week who is under 20 points and doesn't make picks this week. Also, don't expect this before Monday most weeks because I have my daughter on the weekends and this takes too much time for me to do it on Sunday. This weeks picks will be in the next post so if you want to copy it for your picks we don't have a gargantuan post quoted. I'm also most likely looking at buying the winner at the end of the season a hat from their choice MVFC school. And I don't want to be buying myself a hat. So step it up :D

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

1pm Illinois State @North Dakota State- NBC ND/ESPN3

2pm Missouri State @Indiana State- ESPN3

3pm South Dakota @Youngstown State- ESPN3

4pm Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa- PSN/ESPN3

6pm Western Illinois @South Dakota State- MVC/ESPN3

dewey
September 26th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

1pm Illinois State @North Dakota State- NBC ND/ESPN3 - NDSU - NDSU on homecoming after a bye week and ISUr coming off two straight losses. No brainer for me.

2pm Missouri State @Indiana State- ESPN3 - Indiana State. - Big win last week for the trees. I think it continues for them this week.

3pm South Dakota @Youngstown State- ESPN3 - Youngstown State. South Dakota is interesting. There quarterback can win them any game but can also lose them any game. I like YSU since it is not November yet.

4pm Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa- PSN/ESPN3 - Northern Iowa. UNI at home is too much for SIU. It will be interesting to see how SIU does and to see if there coach has them on the right track.

6pm Western Illinois @South Dakota State- MVC/ESPN3 - South Dakota State. Game of the week in the MVFC and potentially the FCS in Brookings. Does Western Illinois continue to look legit and retain their top 10 ranking or does SDSU's D show up with their very good O.

Dewey

ysubigred
September 26th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Illinois State @North Dakota State- 42-17

Missouri State @Indiana State- 31-21

South Dakota @Youngstown State- 19-13

Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa- 68-65 3 OT's

Western Illinois @South Dakota State- 24-20 2 OT's

eiu1999
September 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2016, 09:24 AM

POD Knows
September 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

North Dakota State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Western Illinois - this is assuming we don't pull that "letting off the gas in the second half" crap like we did against Northern...that s*** won't fly in the MVFC. Half the teams in the conference are as good or better than Northern Illinois, so there's no room for going conservative that early, especially when we haven't had a ton of success running the ball all game up to that point. If we do that again, SDSU will beat us, but in a game that looks like it's going to be that close, I can't pick against my Leathernecks. What's the over/under on score total, btw...around 273?

bonarae
September 26th, 2016, 09:44 AM
NDSU
Trees
Youngstown State
UNI
WIU - pretty close

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Western Illinois - this is assuming we don't pull that "letting off the gas in the second half" crap like we did against Northern...that s*** won't fly in the MVFC. Half the teams in the conference are as good or better than Northern Illinois, so there's no room for going conservative that early, especially when we haven't had a ton of success running the ball all game up to that point. If we do that again, SDSU will beat us, but in a game that looks like it's going to be that close, I can't pick against my Leathernecks. What's the over/under on score total, btw...around 273?

Yeah, that game is going to have a lot of points I think. Are you going to be able to make it up to Brookings? I'm thinking I should be able to be at that game. It'll be my daughters first fb game

Penguin Nation
September 26th, 2016, 09:56 AM

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

NDSU

ISUr appears to be who I thought they were, and that Northwestern win doesn't look nearly as impressive. NDSU destroys them.

Indy St

The Trees seem to be absorbing the loss of their QB pretty well so far. Misery St looks to be improved from last season, but Indy St takes this one in a close game at home

YSU

USeD just gives the ball up way too much and it's not November yet. If Pelini doesn't kill his own team with his rage volcano, the Guins should be able to take advantage of the young mistake prone QB for the Yotes.

UNI

These games are usually close, but even though SIUs new DII transfer QB seems to be settling in, he hasn't faced a good defense yet that will be in his face like UNI will be, and he hasn't played in a hostile some environment yet. However UNI will find a way to keep this close for the Egyptian dogs.

SDSU

Homer pick? Maybe. This is the FCS GOTW in my book. Cal Poly showed this week that losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of. WIU has to be licking their chops seeing film of States defense with their powerful running game. However, I'm hoping the Jacks D can perform better against a more traditional offense than what they have faced so far this season. Neither team looks like they will be able to shut down the others offense, and I think the Jacks take it with revenge on their mind at home after what WIU cost them last year and a bye week to refocus and prepare.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Yeah, that game is going to have a lot of points I think. Are you going to be able to make it up to Brookings? I'm thinking I should be able to be at that game. It'll be my daughters first fb game

I'd love to get up there someday to see the new stadium, but unfortunately it isn't going to be this one. I went to our first game at Eastern IL and the game at Northern IL this weekend...wife wouldn't be real happy if I went out of town for another weekend game leaving her with the kids (who can kinda be little terrors when they spend too much time together without two adults to separate them). I'll just have to resort to sitting on the couch, watching it in HD via ESPN3 through my Roku...which isn't too bad, since I get to watch more football that way (can bring up other games on laptop and tablet).

I'd love for the schedule to work out for something like our team playing at SDSU and at NDSU or USD on consecutive weekends or something, so I can make it a family vacation...drive up, see the game, head out, spend a few days seeing Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, then head back east and catch the other game the following weekend, then head home. That would be much easier to get approved through the "boss".

SDSU

Homer pick? Maybe. This is the FCS GOTW in my book. Cal Poly showed this week that losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of. WIU has to be licking their chops seeing film of States defense with their powerful running game. However, I'm hoping the Jacks D can perform better against a more traditional offense than what they have faced so far this season. Neither team looks like they will be able to shut down the others offense, and I think the Jacks take it with revenge on their mind at home after what WIU cost them last year and a bye week to refocus and prepare.

Nothing wrong with that pick. At the start of the season, I actually penciled this one in as a loss for us. I figured...SDSU is still very good, has their awesome new stadium, and probably wants some revenge on us for knocking them out of the playoff seed (and for making them travel down to a "middle-of-nowhere" town in the middle of a blizzard). SDSU hasn't quite lived up to where I thought they'd be at this point in the season and WIU has done better than I had initially expected (I did expect better than last year...just not this much better), which I think brings it much closer to a true "toss-up", with a slight advantage to SDSU due to home field advantage and "revenge factor". With it being that close I had to pick my 'Necks, but I don't begrudge anyone for picking either team in this game.

Bison56
September 26th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Mayville Bison
September 26th, 2016, 11:29 AM

BisonTru
September 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM
It's tough to beat the score keeper. xliarx:D

1pm Illinois State @North Dakota State

2pm Missouri State @Indiana State

3pm South Dakota @Youngstown State

4pm Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa

6pm Western Illinois @South Dakota State

REALBird
September 26th, 2016, 01:24 PM
North Dakota State

Indiana State

Youngstown State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 02:45 PM
North Dakota State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Western Illinois

DCWIU11
September 26th, 2016, 03:37 PM
NDSU
Indiana State
YSU
UNI
WESTERN

Trumpster
September 26th, 2016, 03:48 PM

Redbird007
September 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I dare someone to pick Illinois State.

dewey
September 26th, 2016, 03:57 PM

I picked them last week. Does that countxlolx

Dewey

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I picked them last week. Does that countxlolx

Dewey

Same here, and they went and screwed my picks. Never again redbirds...never again (wait...do you play MSU this season?....ok, maybe one more again).

clenz
September 26th, 2016, 04:31 PM
North Dakota State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
NDSU
Ind State
YSU
UNI
SDSU

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Those bastards are the reason I didn't have a perfect week

Redbird007
September 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM

I figured we had a higher cause last week other than beating InSU and now I know....glad we could F'up Thumper. Thumper please pick NDSU this weekend.

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2016, 09:02 AM

I tried to tell everyone

ysubigred
September 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I tried to tell everyone

I told you xawesomex

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I told you xawesomex

this is true

underdawg
September 27th, 2016, 12:17 PM

Smartest person on the board

mmiller_34
September 27th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

1pm Illinois State @North Dakota State

2pm Missouri State @Indiana State

3pm South Dakota @Youngstown State

4pm Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa

6pm Western Illinois @South Dakota State

I need some time to think about the SIU-UNI game.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM
mmiller and EIU1999 both of you didn't pick a game

mmiller_34
September 27th, 2016, 12:46 PM
mmiller and EIU1999 both of you didn't pick a game

I explained myself.

P.S. congrats on taking sole possession of 1st place. What was I doing picking Samford?

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM
I explained myself.

P.S. congrats on taking sole possession of 1st place. What was I doing picking Samford?

Poor life choices xlolx

Tbh I don't think I'll be holding onto first for long once conference season starts

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2016, 01:29 PM
NDSU -- this game won't be close. Bison roll
INS -- Trees roll in this one
YSU - this one will be close & could go either way. Guins with all Red uniforms ( Red Out Day)
UNI - Dogs get butt whipped
WIU - in the game of the week, the Necks edge out the Bunnies in a close one

Bisonator
September 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM
The ISUr game scares me a bit. The Bison seem ripe for the picking, coming off a big win over Iowa, ISUr seems down this year, could this be the inevitable "toe stub" game we seem to have every year? I don't think so with it being home coming, coming off a bye week but you never know.

Yotes21
September 27th, 2016, 04:03 PM
NDSU
ISU-b
USD
UNI
WIU

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Illinois St @ North Dakota St - I'm way too much of a homer to pick against my team on homecoming regardless of rankings.

Missouri St @ Indiana St - Fine! I'll finally pick the Trees to win. Now watch them lose.

South Dakota @ Youngstown St - Bo only gets one unsportsmanlike penalty so the Guins win!

Southern Illinois @ Northern Iowa - I don't think this one will be close either.

Western Illinois @ South Dakota St - Toughest pick of the week for me but I'll stick with the home team theme. Third straight game I've picked against the Necks... you're welcome WIU fans.

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Western Illinois @ South Dakota St - Toughest pick of the week for me but I'll stick with the home team theme. Third straight game I've picked against the Necks... you're welcome WIU fans.

Much appreciated 😉

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM
If I were in this Id take all home teams:
NDSU
ISUb
YSU
UNI
SDSU

If the locations were switched id take WIU USD and consider SIU and Im never comfortable until ISUb has won their game

clenz
September 28th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Idea for thumper

Keep track of a "bot" picker that picks only home teams to track how they would fair vs everyone else.

Hint - you'd be shocked at the results.

I did this with my AGS pick em the last few years but never published it. I did it for home teams, high rated teams, teams that got the higher % of user picks, and computer favored picks.

underdawg
September 28th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

NDSU--Bison D chews Il state up

Ind state--not convinced on In state but MSU won't have their dawg puncher at QB so-----

South Dakota--the Yotes have a pretty good O and are always good for one upset per year

SIU---SIU will score points on special teams and a multi dimensional passing game, Isom will break one and poor UNI secondary and special teams (KR defense) will hurt them. Will SIU's D be marginally better than 2015? Of course this would be an upset playing at UNI for the second year in a row--by the way, why are we playing AT UNI two years in row????

WIU---Can SDSU's run defense appear as a real object this weekend? Dunno

F'N Hawks
September 28th, 2016, 01:58 PM
SDSU

I agree with you about Jacks looking better on defense against a more traditional offense that wants to run the ball. TCU and Poly were outliers in what they will typically see throughout their schedule. Your defense is not bad.

I watched some of the SDSU/Poly game on replay and I don't think your guys were lined up correctly, especially on the defensive line. Having two guys in the 'A' gaps is not the way to do it. Think they were worried about freeing up your inside linebacker but then had no help down the line. I would burn that tape and move on, won't see it again until playoffs (potentially) anyway.

Having said this I will be around on Saturday/Sunday to rip my own team if Poly whales on them, too. xlolx

REALBird
September 28th, 2016, 02:47 PM
The ISUr game scares me a bit. The Bison seem ripe for the picking, coming off a big win over Iowa, ISUr seems down this year, could this be the inevitable "toe stub" game we seem to have every year? I don't think so with it being home coming, coming off a bye week but you never know.

I wouldn't bank on that. ISUr seems to only get excited about playing once they're down. Even if we kept it close, we'd fumble at the end of the game or something.

underdawg
September 28th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't bank on that. ISUr seems to only get excited about playing once they're down. Even if we kept it close, we'd fumble at the end of the game or something.

Which QB are you going with--- what's with Kolbe (sp?)?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 04:22 PM

Listened to some Spack's weekly conference , he sounded almost like he was really close to throwing in the towel this season. Maybe I'm wrong but he didn't sound like he normally does in these things.

X-Factor
September 28th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I like Clenz's idea on the bottom picks. One for Mass, Sag, Home, coin flip, etc. Could make for a good laugh at end of season.

As for my picks:

Week 5 Games 10/1:

1pm Illinois State @North Dakota State- NBC ND/ESPN3 This one will be close for a half with ISU's back against a wall. But, ISU is far too small/weak on the d-line to make this a 4th quarter contest.

2pm Missouri State @Indiana State- ESPN3 I like the trees by 17 in this one.

3pm South Dakota @Youngstown State- ESPN3 Yep, it's not November yet! The BoShow manages to keep his cool despite a questionable fumble call.

4pm Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa- PSN/ESPN3 It will take more than just a decent offense to get past UNI. Carter Schulte continues to show why he is on track for Def POY in valley.

6pm Western Illinois @ South Dakota State- MVC/ESPN3 By far the most difficult game to pick this week. I do think the Jack's defense will be their Achilles heal this year, preventing a playoff berth, but not this week as WIU turns it over on a possible game winning drive late in the 4th after dominating the stat sheet most of the game. Home field proves the difference maker in a difficult MVFC!

The Yo Show
September 28th, 2016, 08:14 PM
1pm Illinois State @ North Dakota State- NBC ND/ESPN3

2pm Missouri State @ Indiana State- ESPN3

3pm South Dakota @ Youngstown State- ESPN3

4pm Southern Illinois @ Northern Iowa- PSN/ESPN3

6pm Western Illinois @ South Dakota State- MVC/ESPN3

BisonAlumni
September 28th, 2016, 08:21 PM

frozennorth
September 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Home Teams

BisonAlumni
September 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM

Well that didn't work right....

1pm Illinois State @ North Dakota State

2pm Missouri State @ Indiana State

3pm South Dakota @ Youngstown State

4pm Southern Illinois @ Northern Iowa

6pm Western Illinois @ South Dakota State

Bisonwinagn
September 28th, 2016, 11:45 PM
I got all home teams as well!!

Professor Chaos
September 29th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Home Teams

Uh-oh... be careful making your picks like that...

https://theyearofhalloween.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/gif-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-killer-rabbits.gif

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Home Teams

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160929/5ec6b8bc8468a472ffcdff29437a044c.jpg

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2016, 09:03 AM
If SDSU and YSU were playing on the road I'd pick against them. plus im not in the pool.

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2016, 09:04 AM
In all seriousness though, please just type out your picks. It's not that's hard. 17 letters. Otherwise odds are I will scroll right by cause that post doesn't look like one that made picks. And you're also banking heavily on SDSU winning and me not being pissy :D.

clenz
September 29th, 2016, 09:07 AM
In all seriousness though, please just type out your picks. It's not that's hard. 17 letters. Otherwise odds are I will scroll right by cause that post doesn't look like one that made picks. And you're also banking heavily on SDSU winning and me not being pissy :D.
Google docs my man....

Google docs.....

I can probably find my old MVFC form and share it...

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 29th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Week 5 Games 10/1:

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2016, 12:35 PM
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
INDIANA STATE
YOUNGSTOWN STATE
NORTHERN IOWA
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2016, 03:57 PM
NDSU
ISUb
YSU
UNI
WIU (Just for you Thumper)

X-Factor
September 30th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I am still pondering the SDSU WIU game. What time is the lock, Thumper?

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I am still pondering the SDSU WIU game. What time is the lock, Thumper?

Before the first game starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2016, 05:11 AM
Bison roll the Redturds:

38-13

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
WIU (Just for you Thumper)

Boy how's that workin out for ya xlolx

TheKingpin28
October 2nd, 2016, 01:12 AM
Boy how's that workin out for ya xlolx

Worth every MB of it

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 01:23 AM
Reminder to open week 6 at your soonest available time. (I dislike waiting until halfway through Monday because it increases the likelyness that I forget the entire week)