PDA

View Full Version : Montana at Cal Poly

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I'm shocked that this was the game of the week and came down to the wire and there is no discussion of the game today.

Both teams looked very solid. Big Sky has 3 teams looking at the top seeds right now depending on how things finish out.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I'm shocked that this was the game of the week and came down to the wire and there is no discussion of the game today.

Both teams looked very solid. Big Sky has 3 teams looking at the top seeds right now depending on how things finish out.

from earlier this morning.... yep, Cal Poly with 2 nice wins, lets see if they can keep it going. I love the creativity they show on offense, seems like it's never the same set twice including some Diamond.....

one other thought, the beat an overrated MVFC team last week and 90 % of the people don't want you to know anything about that now.....

Re: AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 4 2016
Cal Poly didn't get much love after crushing S Dakota State on the road but now they should make a huge jump...... I admit I have a little crush on that team right now....

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 03:23 PM
from earlier this morning.... yep, Cal Poly with 2 nice wins, lets see if they can keep it going. I love the creativity they show on offense, seems like it's never the same set twice including some Diamond.....

one other thought, the beat an overrated MVFC team last week and 90 % of the people don't want you to know anything about that now.....

Cal Poly didn't get much love after crushing S Dakota State on the road but now they should make a huge jump...... I admit I have a little crush on that team right now....

I figured this game was big enough to get it's own love.

The jury is definitely out on South Dakota State, and UNI (Montana's signature win) for that matter. I'm just saying if EWU, Montana or Cal Poly win out they are easily a Top 4 seed.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Idk about that, I'm an MVFC fan and I have CP in my top 8.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I was really impressed with some of the throws Graves' made under a lot of pressure. Montana was in a lot of cover 1 and Cover 0 and he made them pay for it. The red zone TD he threw with a guy right in his face was impressive.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2016, 03:25 PM

What are you talking about? It was a good win last week for sure but a team that comes in expected to not do well in conference might need to add another good win...which they did. At that point they damn sure will jump up because they are much more of a known performer. I'm not sure if we agree or if you are trying to say something else.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I was really impressed with some of the throws Graves' made under a lot of pressure. Montana was in a lot of cover 1 and Cover 0 and he made them pay for it. The red zone TD he threw with a guy right in his face was impressive.

He is a very poised feller in the pocket...which you would not expect. Our offense finally began performing well yesterday and then we turned it over twice and you just can't give a team like CP a chance for 14 easy points cuz they made us pay for that 100%.

They are very good and they are on every voters ballot so far so they are being recognized.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Idk about that, I'm an MVFC fan and I have CP in my top 8.

not surprised about you 26! never any doubt.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 03:39 PM
What are you talking about? It was a good win last week for sure but a team that comes in expected to not do well in conference might need to add another good win...which they did. At that point they damn sure will jump up because they are much more of a known performer. I'm not sure if we agree or if you are trying to say something else.

I'm talking about how I like the way they play offense, how they went on the road the week before last and beat South Dakota State, how I thought they were better than the ranking the got last week and made it a point to see how they did against Montana and was delighted they beat them, and because I like they offensive Coordinator I'll mention the creativity thing again, that's about it besides notice I didn't say anything about the D, lots of football to play it will work itself out

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 03:41 PM
He is a very poised feller in the pocket...which you would not expect. Our offense finally began performing well yesterday and then we turned it over twice and you just can't give a team like CP a chance for 14 easy points cuz they made us pay for that 100%.

They are very good and they are on every voters ballot so far so they are being recognized.

They had scored right before the INT as well, IIRC. 21 points real quick.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2016, 03:47 PM
They had scored right before the INT as well, IIRC. 21 points real quick.

Yes indeed. We played the best we have overall so far this year and they got us. They are a damn fine team. Our offense is what loses us those games usually and we are getting much better at that side it appears cuz CP doesn't have a bad D that just let's you run free.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 03:54 PM
How has the Montana kicker been this year? I know the potential game winner would have been a career long.

MTfan4life
September 25th, 2016, 04:02 PM
It was a very fine margin of execution that decided this one. Montana had to settle for three field goal attempts in CP territory, while Cal Poly didn't settle for any.

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 04:38 PM

Crushing? Yeah they put up yards but that game went down to the wire and was a one score game. Apparently we have different definitions.

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2016, 05:08 PM
How has the Montana kicker been this year? I know the potential game winner would have been a career long.

That was the first miss of his career.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 05:09 PM
That was the first miss of his career.

I thought I saw someone mention that it was a really terrible attempt. Was it windy or a bad snap and hold?

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2016, 05:10 PM
It was a very fine margin of execution that decided this one. Montana had to settle for three field goal attempts in CP territory, while Cal Poly didn't settle for any.

Yep, and you can't gift an offense like that a short field by turning it over.

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2016, 05:12 PM
I thought I saw someone mention that it was a really terrible attempt. Was it windy or a bad snap and hold?

Everything looked fine to me except for the kick itself. I think he just plain flubbed it.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Crushing? Yeah they put up yards but that game went down to the wire and was a one score game. Apparently we have different definitions.

Yes. I feel the same. As an SDSU fan we took a lot of heat for losing to Cal Poly. Yes, we gave up a lot of yards but it came down to the wire just as the Montana game did. Some people were calling for SDSU to drop between 15-20 spots. Sometimes I feel people are just waiting for SDSU to lose a game so they can drop them hard.

I watched both the Cal Poly-SDSU game and the Montana-Cal Poly game. Cal Poly made more mistakes in this game than then did versus SDSU. ( I think CP's QB fumbled 3 times? -- I wish SDSU had those chances) Overall the two games played out the same, and I hope people start to realize how good Cal Poly is.

I was real surpised to see little discussion of this game yesterday.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 06:23 PM

a close loss can be just a crushing as a crushing loss

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2016, 07:31 PM
a close loss can be just a crushing as a crushing loss

It's pretty clear from your post that that's not how you meant it.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM
It's pretty clear from your post that that's not how you meant it.

you got that right... they got crushed

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 07:51 PM

So Poly scored the go ahead TD with two minutes left and SDSU got crushed. Right. You really know football.

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2016, 07:54 PM

No they really didn't

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 07:59 PM
No they really didn't

well if some feelings weren't crushed you have no feelings, it was a great game to watch, that's all I really care about

Schism55
September 25th, 2016, 08:04 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23609&stc=1

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 08:07 PM
well if some feelings weren't crushed you have no feelings, it was a great game to watch, that's all I really care about

If you're talking about emotionally crushing I can agree with that. If you're talking about in the football sense of crushing the other team I can't.

coover
September 25th, 2016, 08:44 PM
A great win for Poly ... but there were plenty of reasons that I saw to believe that Poly must improve in certain areas. Tackling, particularly in the defensive backfield was terrible. And tackling on special teams is frequently horrible. Sometimes I think the Poly defenders want to make the big hit rather than secure the guy with the ball. They need a lot of work in that regard, or somebody will take advantage and the season will not be as spectacular as they thought it could be.

That said, yesterday's game was very good to see. As usual, they allowed the opposing team to score first, and then, eventually, come back to take the lead. Against Montana, once they took the lead, they gave it up again and had to come back at the end of the game to win.

The Mustang offense was really spectacular. The addition, this year, of Dano Graves and the passing game really makes a difference with the Triple Option. It almost makes it a Quad Option, though passing on a rushing play is really not an option, linemen would go to far past the line of scrimmage.

The defense, this year, has really improved. Cal Poly's defense has never really had a problem with the rush, they've been strong at defensive linemen and linebackers for years, but they have been week against a really strong, accurate passer. This year the defensive backfield has gotten better and is usually able to stay with the wide receivers and others as they go downfield for a pass. But they still have limited problems keeping the receiver from getting to the ball first, but their real weakness is tackling. I am hoping that while the team gets ready for North Dakota next week, tackling practice be a priority, though I do know that they must try to learn the North Dakota offensive tendencies, too. i have not seen North Dakota this year so I am unsure what offense may be used against the Mustangs next Saturday, but since this is the Big Sky, I'm sure ND's QB has a strong arm and decent receivers. Our offense will probably be not a problem against ND. I hope the defense is also not a problem.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2016, 09:55 PM
If you're talking about emotionally crushing I can agree with that. If you're talking about in the football sense of crushing the other team I can't.

He wasn't, he's changing it midstream.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 10:04 PM
He wasn't, he's changing it midstream.

already admitted that, why are we even talking about this important stuff?

Schism55
September 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Because......

Now we're sharing the same dream xlolx

Silenoz
September 25th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I watched both the Cal Poly-SDSU game and the Montana-Cal Poly game. Cal Poly made more mistakes in this game than then did versus SDSU. ( I think CP's QB fumbled 3 times? -- I wish SDSU had those chances) Overall the two games played out the same, and I hope people start to realize how good Cal Poly is.

I was real surpised to see little discussion of this game yesterday.

Poly had 1 turnover against us, and 1 against SDSU. They are taking care of the football.

Silenoz
September 25th, 2016, 11:39 PM
(Griz) highlights are up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPOHBeZ2DVE

Gotta love Horner's block at 0:50 rag dolling one guy into another

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 12:45 AM
(Griz) highlights are up

Wow, Montana won that game 347-0 right? xrolleyesx

Montana looks great in that clip!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Wow, Montana won that game 347-0 right? xrolleyesx

Montana looks great in that clip!

I absolutely hate the bull**** way UM does these now. It's pure f'n crap. We used to be good at this and show the game and the appropriate highlights but now it's just a biased POS. Whoever approves this should be severely ashamed of it. It's a lie and that is the best thing you could say about it.

I made a thread about this a couple years back when I noticed the change and I was harsher in that one I think.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2016, 01:08 AM
already admitted that, why are we even talking about this important stuff?

Don't know, I guess cuz you double talked it back and Thumper was confused on it?

putter
September 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Poly is legit and you can't shoot yourself in the foot like Montana did with the Turnovers deep in their territory. the Griz still had a chance to win it. Montana need to develop 2 things. A running game would be nice and the receivers need to get separation, just not happening. Poly played 2 deep safeties all game but Montana could not run the ball to make them come up. Here is to getting better every game.

chattownmocs
September 26th, 2016, 01:25 AM
I absolutely hate the bull**** way UM does these now. It's pure f'n crap. We used to be good at this and show the game and the appropriate highlights but now it's just a biased POS. Whoever approves this should be severely ashamed of it. It's a lie and that is the best thing you could say about it.

I made a thread about this a couple years back when I noticed the change and I was harsher in that one I think.

Agree, chattanooga does the same thing now. At least it's not 10 minutes like Jacksonville states.

grizband
September 26th, 2016, 01:29 AM

I miss the highlight videos from the Hauck era. Not simply because of the quality of teams, but as Ursus stated the highlights showed game flow, painting a story of the entire game utilizing drives and situations from both teams. The new videos are aggravating!

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Okay, settle down people...

Here's CP's highlights where they do the exact same thing. But yes, its already been discussed that our highlights from the 2000s that were like 9 minutes long were a million times better. It is what it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YovDeh5xj8

mvemjsunpx
September 26th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I miss the highlight videos from the Hauck era. Not simply because of the quality of teams, but as Ursus stated the highlights showed game flow, painting a story of the entire game utilizing drives and situations from both teams. The new videos are aggravating!

You don't even have to go back that far. GoGriz was putting out some great highlight clips back in 2013 (for home games, anyway), then inexplicably gave up on it after that.

I guess we'll have to settle for ROOT's highlights when UM plays on there. xdontknowx

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 03:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQvOOq8PZm0

Yeah ours are long :\, but they usually include many or most of the "important or significant" plays in the game. Including NDSU missing FGs, throwing interceptions, and the other team scoring, etc.

I definitely liked Scott Millers voice better than the new guy, and the music choice is a little weird in this one imo, but overall this is what I thought I was going to see when I watched the UM/CP highlights. Obviously I was surprised to see something that seems more, idk juvenile? I mean it wasn't even a game UM won and the video makes them look like unbeatable juggernaughts.

The CP highlights are even worse for the sole reason that they have no sound other than electronic static.

Don't get me wrong, there are things about the NDSU highlights that I would change. However, overall its the right style of CFB highlights imo.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Anyway, CP and Montana both look like teams that will have success in the playoffs.

veinup
September 26th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Poly is legit and you can't shoot yourself in the foot like Montana did with the Turnovers deep in their territory. the Griz still had a chance to win it. Montana need to develop 2 things. A running game would be nice and the receivers need to get separation, just not happening. Poly played 2 deep safeties all game but Montana could not run the ball to make them come up. Here is to getting better every game.

pretty much this. after those two turnovers that quickly turned into two touchdowns, things were looking really bad. i'm proud that our guys bounced back, hung in there and kept it close until the whistle. i thought we showed great resilience in the second half. cal poly is a hell of a team, hats off to em.

got to be at the game, met a couple of poly fans who were really friendly. gotta say though, one half of that stadium is in the sun the entire game and it is hot as **** on that side. multiple times during the game paramedics were coming in to check on people in the stands. can't imagine actually playing football in that weather. yeesh.

Grizalltheway
September 26th, 2016, 09:15 AM
(Griz) highlights are up

That's actually James Homan, but yes, I did love it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 26th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Anyway, CP and Montana both look like teams that will have success in the playoffs.

I disagree

Cal Poly has ZERO defense and even our POS offense put up yards and points on them. Montana has the worst offense I have seen since the early to mid 80s.
is regressing and inconsistent.

I wont say much more because it seems like most of our fans want to continue to believe in the fraud we are being fed but I will point once again how bad our offense is when we get ****ing trucked in the playoffs.

Until then you guys keep making excuse and acting like we belong. Enjoy, I wont

slostang
September 26th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I disagree

Cal Poly has ZERO defense and even our POS offense put up yards and points on them. Montana has the worst offense I have seen since the early to mid 80s.
is regressing and inconsistent.

I wont say much more because it seems like most of our fans want to continue to believe in the fraud we are being fed but I will point once again how bad our offense is when we get ****ing trucked in the playoffs.

Until then you guys keep making excuse and acting like we belong. Enjoy, I wontAlpha I have heard that in person you are a great guy by people I respect. You would never guess that by your on line persona. Three days ago you were saying how the Griz D would hold Cal Poly to under 10 points. Now you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. Take three deep breaths and step back from the ledge.

jacksfan29
September 26th, 2016, 10:53 AM
So Poly scored the go ahead TD with two minutes left and SDSU got crushed. Right. You really know football.

He's a Delaware fan so you have to give him a break. He hasn't known good football in a decade.

Grizalltheway
September 26th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Alpha I have heard that in person you are a great guy by people I respect. You would never guess that by your on line persona. Three days ago you were saying how the Griz D would hold Cal Poly to under 10 points. Now you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. Take three deep breaths and step back from the ledge.

Yeah, runs his mouth before the game and then throws the team under the bus when his ridiculous prediction doesn't work out. Classy.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Alpha I have heard that in person you are a great guy by people I respect. You would never guess that by your on line persona. Three days ago you were saying how the Griz D would hold Cal Poly to under 10 points. Now you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. Take three deep breaths and step back from the ledge.

Its because I was stupid and bought into the fraud being sold at UM. I did think we would damn near shut you out.......so much so I put it on paper wit a post and running my mouth about it. Same old **** sandwich from Montana. I apologized to you and admitted I was wrong on CS and I am doing it again here. You seem like a good dude, but even you have to admit Montana sucks worse now than 3 years ago.

There is NOTHING good that came from the CP game zero and save your breath about JLM because you throw 30 passes to ANY WR in the FCS they will probably have more than 150ish yards and a couple TDs. Throw 30 at Kupp and see those video game numbers. We wont go .500 the rest of the season with our ****bag OL and QB play

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 11:36 AM
He's a Delaware fan so you have to give him a break. He hasn't known good football in a decade.

Good point. I'm on board.

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 11:59 AM
That's actually James Homan, but yes, I did love it.
Well 80 is Horner, but I guess it's hard to tell with those camera views which one of two players did it

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2016, 12:28 PM

6 years or so

Grizalltheway
September 26th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Well 80 is Horner, but I guess it's hard to tell with those camera views which one of two players did it

Better view

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrizFanNews/status/779769186679685120/video/1

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Worse than Selle and Roper running Pflu's offense in 2010? SSH and McKinney floundering under Delaney in 2012? Jason Washington and frosh Berqquist in 2005?

We've had plenty of spectacular fail on that end. The jury is still out this year, but its impossible for it to be worse than those

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Okay, settle down people...

Here's CP's highlights where they do the exact same thing. But yes, its already been discussed that our highlights from the 2000s that were like 9 minutes long were a million times better. It is what it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YovDeh5xj8

I don't care that there's is the same way. It's chicken**** and we should not be doing this. It lacks integrity. Not saying you don't get that btw, I know you do but it pisses me off that we started doing this crap. We should be setting standards and not falling in line with this silly sort of bull****.

Sorry man, it just really pisses me off that we are doing this. Just stop putting them out UM. It would be better if you didn't if this is what we are gonna do for our brand.

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Looks like 2010 was the last year for the old style. Is that when the agreement with Root kicked in our something? I know the length had something to do with rights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNmrBybXUU

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Looks like 2010 was the last year for the old style. Is that when the agreement with Root kicked in our something? I know the length had something to do with rights

You might be correct cuz I do remember hearing about Root's rights before on the matter as well. I'd say we better tell Roots it's time to go **** themselves on that one since we're renegotiating. Probably a better way to say it than that. Let me craft this and I'll present it to the BSC later on.

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Watching that reminds me how many NFL players were on a team that couldn't even make the playoffs. Sadness.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 26th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Worse than Selle and Roper running Pflu's offense in 2010? SSH and McKinney floundering under Delaney in 2012? Jason Washington and frosh Berqquist in 2005?

We've had plenty of spectacular fail on that end. The jury is still out this year, but its impossible for it to be worse than those

I disagree

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Impossible I say!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/d7/0d763950-3372-11e2-8efe-0019bb2963f4/50ac20e588304.image.jpg?resize=540%2C385

Silenoz
September 26th, 2016, 04:07 PM
We scored 7 points against some **** Cat team, at home, in 2012. Only points on a long Nguyen run, which only ever happens when the entire other team falls down.

SSH had approximately negative sixty rushing yards in zone reads that game

bobcathpdevil56
September 26th, 2016, 04:19 PM
We scored 7 points against some **** Cat team, at home, in 2012. Only points on a long Nguyen run, which only ever happens when the entire other team falls down.

SSH had approximately negative sixty rushing yards in zone reads that game

Wait...what?? We held someone to under 35 points in the last 5 years??

mvemjsunpx
September 26th, 2016, 05:10 PM

The ROOT deal started in 2012, the year the conference expanded. That's also when KPAX gave up doing any of their "graycast" games.

The loss in consistently well-done highlights largely coincides with the elimination of montanagrizzlies.com. 2013 was the only year I recall gogriz doing anything decent highlights-wise.

Grizalltheway
September 26th, 2016, 05:26 PM
The ROOT deal started in 2012, the year the conference expanded. That's also when KPAX gave up doing any of their "graycast" games.

The loss in consistently well-done highlights largely coincides with the elimination of montanagrizzlies.com. 2013 was the only year I recall gogriz doing anything decent highlights-wise.

Yeah, the highlights thing sucks, but at least we can see every game in HD now.

bojeta
September 26th, 2016, 05:52 PM
South Dakota State did a much better job. Decidedly more SDSU, but hey, it's their video. Still, they included every Cal Poly score, and the interception that ended the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgvhavrdLw

BigGoosie13
September 26th, 2016, 06:44 PM
South Dakota State did a much better job. Decidedly more SDSU, but hey, it's their video. Still, they included every Cal Poly score, and the interception that ended the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgvhavrdLw
The Jackrabbits athletics department does the fair videos on youtube, the football team makes homer videos on vimeo...https://vimeo.com/183501703

dewey
September 27th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Better view

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrizFanNews/status/779769186679685120/video/1

Son of a B! That was an impressive block. He hit him so hard he flew 4 yards.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
September 27th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Son of a B! That was an impressive block. He hit him so hard he flew 4 yards.

Dewey

And took a second guy out of the play. xlolx

dewey
September 27th, 2016, 12:45 AM
And took a second guy out of the play. xlolx

Got to LOVE a WR (right?) that blocks like that.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
September 27th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Got to LOVE a WR (right?) that blocks like that.

Dewey

Yes.