PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Win

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Here is the golden question. When ranking teams how much weight do you put on there past compared to what they did this past week. Elon in particular had a ugly season opener and was not able to step up against a lower FBS team. Then with Wins against a D2 whos only points were off a muffed punt and then a win over #8 W&M. It seems to be clicking at this moment. Does Elon deserve to receive votes in the top 25 because of the top 10 win or do you need to see more based off the slow start?

phan
September 25th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, long season to go and plenty of time to worry about votes. It would take more than one win over a top25 to garner some votes.

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Here is the golden question. When ranking teams how much weight do you put on there past compared to what they did this past week. Elon in particular had a ugly season opener and was not able to step up against a lower FBS team. Then with Wins against a D2 whos only points were off a muffed punt and then a win over #8 W&M. It seems to be clicking at this moment. Does Elon deserve to receive votes in the top 25 because of the top 10 win or do you need to see more based off the slow start?

Would you consider Elon one of the best 25 FCS teams in the country at the moment?

kalm
September 25th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Need to see more. W&M was top 10 based on reputation alone as their only wins were against Hampton and Norfolk State. Plus, your loss to GW is looking worse and worse.

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Agreed that the GW is a bad mark. Note I also said received votes. I don't see Elon being in the top 25, getting enough votes to be there. But there were some losses in the bottom 25. I haven't done my review yet to see who outside the top 25 won. I really wanted to get an overall opinion. I have always seemed to place more stock into what just happened as to the past, but use the past to hold weight for FBS and top 25 wins for top teams. With that said Elon would still be on the Fence for me due to the GW loss.

IMO though I see this more as a bad mark for W&M then a note for a Power Elon. It proves they can hang but could be a case of W&M overlooking

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 08:47 AM
very nice win, but keep winning .... William and Mary slightly overrated....

ElCid
September 25th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Need to see more. W&M was top 10 based on reputation alone as their only wins were against Hampton and Norfolk State. Plus, your loss to GW is looking worse and worse.

Did you watch the G-W Ohio game? G-W is a good team. Heck if they played us like they did Ohio (a middling MAC team), we would have lost. The fact that G-W got blown out by WCU was just weird. Should not have happened. But Elon may be just as weird right now. A lot of schizoid teams lately. Next week should tell a lot for Elon against Nova.

TribeNomad1
September 25th, 2016, 08:49 AM
very nice win, but keep winning .... William and Mary slightly overrated....

Just slightly.......

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2016, 08:50 AM
As everyone can have a bad week,everyone can have a good one. I look at the total season and ask the question, "can team A beat team B head to Head?" At this point,I see 25 teams in the country that can beat Elon in Head to Head competition....Win a few more and I'll start looking at Elon to crack the top 25.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 08:50 AM
seems to be parity will be the word this season minus Alabison of course haha

BisonTru
September 25th, 2016, 10:21 AM
seems to be parity will be the word this season minus Alabison of course haha

I like it. We are two long FGs away from being 0-2 tho.

Did you ever get the chance to make those phone calls? It would be much appreciated if you could get that done.

Catsfan90
September 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Basically what everyone else is saying. Voting based on what happened that week, and throwing away all other factors is the wrong way to do it. What that win against W&M did in my eyes is at least got Elon on my radar. I will now pay closer attention to them going forward, and if they prove that what happened this week wasn't a fluke then I will consider voting for them. If W&M has some nice wins in the coming weeks, and Elon continues to win big, then they will definitely earn a spot. As for the ORV category, that means that someone would have to rank them in their top 25, and that would be in direct contradiction to my statement.

kalm
September 25th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Did you watch the G-W Ohio game? G-W is a good team. Heck if they played us like they did Ohio (a middling MAC team), we would have lost. The fact that G-W got blown out by WCU was just weird. Should not have happened. But Elon may be just as weird right now. A lot of schizoid teams lately. Next week should tell a lot for Elon against Nova.

As tough as your early conference slate looked, your opponents are still collectively 2-9 so GW might not be as good as you think.

(Hehe)

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 25th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Firefighter, you seem awfully quick to get your hose out. Geez.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I echo the other statements. Beating wm was elon's biggest win since joining the CAA and a step in the right direction, however, I need to see more and I do take the past into consideration each week. I can't just wipe the sleight clean and start over like some posters on here believe it should be done.
I need to see more marquee wins from Elon to rank them. The GW loss looks bad and so does not competing with the worst ranked fbs team in Charlotte. A top 25 Fcs team would've beaten Charlotte.

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Probably your best CAA win. But your first three drives for 17 points, a FG and two TDs, required a total of 46 yards of offense. One nice drive of 80 yards in the second half. W&M fumbled and bumbled the game away as much as your guys played well. Combined that with big loses to Gardner Webb and bottom feeding FBS Charlotte, and a no-contest against a Div 2 team.

So no, I'd still have you in the lower half of FCS teams, no where near the top 25. You've got Nova, UNH and Richmond your next three games. If you win 2 out of 3 of those, come back and make the argument.

smilo
September 25th, 2016, 12:02 PM
William & Mary dropped to 9th in the CAA on Massey. Elon remains a distant 11th, and they will likely not be catching up anytime soon.

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Firefighter, you seem awfully quick to get your hose out. Geez.

I take every opportunity I can to take out my hose and whip it around.... With that said I feel it could be a large probability that the world will be on fire again next week

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I take every opportunity I can to take out my hose and whip it around.... With that said I feel it could be a large probability that the world will be on fire again next week

Hey, it's great to see your team go on the road and pull off a big upset. You've got every right to feel good about it! I was not originally planning to make the Trip to Elon for the UNH game. but I think I may have had a change of heart. I enjoyed the trip down there two years ago and the game may be very competitive this season.

whoanellie
September 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Votes in a poll? who cares.
As one really giddy and proud Alum I have to temper my reactions. Sort of like Duke's post Notre Dame Win. It's a great place to start.
When the improbable becomes a reality namely beating a top 10 squad on the road. One has to celebrate the win! It is a fact that Elon is NOT favored to win ANY match up on EVERY CAA weekly poll. I'm glad We are competitive and the effort the kids have made to improve show promise.

ElCid
September 25th, 2016, 02:47 PM
As tough as your early conference slate looked, your opponents are still collectively 2-9 so GW might not be as good as you think.

(Hehe)

Well I was not just looking at their record but their performance on the field. Balls bounce this way and that way. If I was to go strictly on a teams record then N Iowa would not be sniffing top 25 votes, but they look good regardless. No, I am not comparing the two. But after watching our game and the Ohio game, G-W is not necessarily the cupcake that people think they are. That is all I was saying. They could ruin CSUs or Liberty's day later on and I would not be overly surprised. As far as Elon goes, I will be surprised if they get past Nova.

CID1990
September 25th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Well I was not just looking at their record but their performance on the field. Balls bounce this way and that way. If I was to go strictly on a teams record then N Iowa would not be sniffing top 25 votes, but they look good regardless. No, I am not comparing the two. But after watching our game and the Ohio game, G-W is not necessarily the cupcake that people think they are. That is all I was saying. They could ruin CSUs or Liberty's day later on and I would not be overly surprised. As far as Elon goes, I will be surprised if they get past Nova.

If there's any common thread this season on the east coast its inconsistency.

W&M loses to Elon, who got curb stomped by GW.

WCU whipped GW, then lost to ETSU.

Richmond beats UVA and then craps the bed.

If anything, at least The Citadel has played consistently enough to win three games in a row where they had to come from behind. I like their grit but I'm not yet sure they are better than Sammy or UTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 06:01 PM

that might not mean that much though. Liberty looks pretty bad imo. Beating CSU will mean a lot more.

ElCid
September 25th, 2016, 10:43 PM
that might not mean that much though. Liberty looks pretty bad imo. Beating CSU will mean a lot more.

Well they probably lose both and I am not sure Liberty is as bad as they looked Saturday. I think they have fallen off a bit this year but JSU is pretty good. CSU is still an unknown in my mind. I don't think they are the same team that played NDSU earlier this year, but maybe. Monmouth was not a good test. We will see after they play Coastal.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Indeed we will. Hopefully it is a great game. Is everything regarding suspensions figured out at CSU?

phoenix3
September 26th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I don't think Elon is as bad as they looked in our first two games, nor do I think we are anywhere near the top 25 after the W&M win. We'll see what happens against Nova, UNH and UR before I start waving the top 25 flag.

Having said that though, I'm very happy and proud of the opportunistic win against W&M.

wmmii
September 26th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Elon deserves credit for whipping up on the Tribe but not to get votes for Top 25. Honestly the Tribe is not playing well as shown when the punter drops a low but catchable snap, our 3rd year QB continues to over throw receivers and has 3 more pics while leaving wide open receivers alone and our special teams allow another blocked punt. The Tribe played poorly at NC State and against Elon, we will know if this is a top 25 team in the next two weeks as they play at UNH and JMU--this will tell us if the was even a good win...

kalm
September 26th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Agreed.

BigSouthFan
September 26th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Indeed we will. Hopefully it is a great game. Is everything regarding suspensions figured out at CSU?

Yes. They are past all of the player suspensions. Everyone played Saturday. Chadwell still has to miss the Albany State (D2) game.

ElonFirefighter
September 26th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Food for thought. If.... and I mean If Elon wins or competes against Villy this weekend how much do you give back to W&M. They took a hard his after the loss to Elon. If Elon proves to have consistency in competing against top 25 teams it should make W&M Loss look not as bad, or has the damage already been done?