PDA

View Full Version : Stony brook

Catsfan90
September 24th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Stony Brook getting owned by an NEC team. Thoughts?

SHUAlumni55
September 24th, 2016, 07:32 PM
NEC better than most here give credit for.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 07:52 PM
NEC better than most here give credit for.

I'm not saying the NEC cannot improve, but what have they done to get credit?

Drblankstare
September 24th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Thins makes sense xbangx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 24th, 2016, 09:13 PM
This is very confusing

SHUAlumni55
September 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I'm not saying the NEC cannot improve, but what have they done to get credit?

So yeah, I guess the NEC still has done nothing because after all it's the NEC. It could never beat a good CAA team. Oops!

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 11:19 AM
SBU out

SHU in

Bison56
September 25th, 2016, 11:24 AM
So yeah, I guess the NEC still has done nothing because after all it's the NEC. It could never beat a good CAA team. Oops!

We're happy for ya

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Stony Brook getting owned by an NEC team. Thoughts?

Stony Brook just being Stony Brook.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 11:32 AM

I mean something important. We will see in the end how good both teams really are. Forgive us for questioning a Sacred Heart team that squeezed out a win over Stetson and plays in a conference that has never gotten past the second round of the playoffs. I think some skepticism is warranted even at 4 and 0.

smilo
September 25th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I mean something important. We will see in the end how good both teams really are. Forgive us for questioning a Sacred Heart team that squeezed out a win over Stetson and plays in a conference that has never gotten past the second round of the playoffs. I think some skepticism is warranted even at 4 and 0.
If we're going to discuss margins, Saint Francis has played rather well in their losses to top 25 Montana and Albany and a Towson team that's justified in receiving votes.

SHUAlumni55
September 25th, 2016, 12:07 PM

Would that possibly have anything to do with the seeding that an NEC champ is stuck in. Even with undefeated seasons, the NEC champs never have a chance to get seeded high enough to play a mid tier seeded team. It's always a top tier road game.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Would that possibly have anything to do with the seeding that an NEC champ is stuck in. Even with undefeated seasons, the NEC champs never have a chance to get seeded high enough to play a mid tier seeded team. It's always a top tier road game.

Would that possibly have anything to do with their non-conference scheduling?

Where should Sacred Heart be placed if they go undefeated but Stony Brook finishes in the middle of the CAA?

Catsfan90
September 25th, 2016, 12:24 PM
What are you talking about? SHU got Fordham two years ago, and got ran over. Do you think that you should automatically recieve the PFL league champ? I can't imagine what teams you think nec teams automatically deserve?

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 03:18 PM
parity is closing fast on the CAA

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 06:32 PM
parity is closing fast on the CAA

CAA 6-0 vs PL; 3-1 vs NEC; and 5-0(?) vs MEAC. The IL has won the 2 games scheduled with the CAA so far, but one was perennial Ivy Champ Harvard's annual drubbing of URI, and 2015 Ivy Co-Champ Dartmouth beat UNH for the first time since they stopped wearing leather helmets and running the flying V formation. And UNH deserves full credit for that one, no point blaming the rest of the CAA for our misfortune. The only other Ivy - CAA matchups in 2016 are, I think, the annual Penn Villanova game, and Brown's annual game with cross state(not much of a state to cross) rival URI. As we've discussed ad nauseam on AGS, the Ivies simply do no want to play the CAA teams.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
CAA 6-0 vs PL; 3-1 vs NEC; and 5-0(?) vs MEAC. The IL has won the 2 games scheduled with the CAA so far, but one was perennial Ivy Champ Harvard's annual drubbing of URI, and 2015 Ivy Co-Champ Dartmouth beat UNH for the first time since they stopped wearing leather helmets and running the flying V formation. And UNH deserves full credit for that one, no point blaming the rest of the CAA for our misfortune. The only other Ivy - CAA matchups in 2016 are, I think, the annual Penn Villanova game, and Brown's annual game with cross state(not much of a state to cross) rival URI. As we've discussed ad nauseam on AGS, the Ivies simply do no want to play the CAA teams.

Wow. The CAA needs some matchups with other good conferences.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 25th, 2016, 06:40 PM

The CAA also has a win over the ACC.

The CAA is fine. We just need Delaware to be Delaware. The rest of the league is more or less where it is supposed to be.

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 06:48 PM

Playing tough OOC FCS opponents is a very recent thing for NDSU. In 2012 they played Robert Morris and PV A&M, 2013 Ferris State and Delaware St., 2014 They did play the first of their Home and home 2 game series with Montana, but they also played Incarnate Word and Weber State. Last year they played in-state North Dakota, Weber State, and Montana, but did not have an FBS game.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Playing tough FCS opponents is a very recent thing for NDSU. In 2012 they played Robert Morris and PV A&M, 2013 Ferris State and Delaware St., 2014 They did play the first of their Home and home 2 game series with Montana, but they also played Incarnate Word and Weber State. Last year they played in-state North Dakota, Weber State, and Montana, but did not have an FBS game.

So what you are saying is they played the other power conferences in the FCS.

Schedule some games against the MVFC or the Socon, or even the OVC. I can't believe you ran through an ENTIRE power conference's OOC without listing a single game vs another power conference.

is SBU vs UND the only CAA game against another of the top FCS conferences?

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Playing the Ivy League is cool though. Kudos on that.

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2016, 07:20 PM

Schedule some games against the MVFC or the Socon, or even the OVC. I can't believe you ran through an ENTIRE power conference's OOC without listing a single game vs another power conference.

This is an argument that never ends in agreement. The Western FCS fans generally don't get that the Ivy, PL, & CAA have rivalries that they enjoy scheduling more than the "challenge" of the MVFC or Big Sky. Delaware-NDSU happens, but not that often.

The majority of the eastern FCS fans would rather play an eastern rival that most probably is steeped in tradition from football & if not football probably hoops. Our schools aren't spread so far apart & our schools are geographically favorable to travel & expenses to boot.

Most eastern FCS schools are located in or near major metropolitan cities & don't have the single minded sports fan drooling to see their team like Fargo, Cedar Falls, Mizzoula, or any other west of the Mississippi location. I wish it was different, but FCS football competes and usually loses to NFL & FBS football.

Yesterday was a hour or so ride to Easton, PA to watch my Wildcats play Lafayette. Maybe not a South Dakota State or Eastern Washington, but academically like schools that have had long history of multi-sports for over a century. Ironically, football hadn't played since 1920 although only 60 miles apart. Simply put tradition trumps the lure of perceived better FCS games.

I know the West FCS fans like to think that West football is superior to the east, but take that team from Fargo out of the equation and it's a matter of biased opinion not anything based on volume of facts. Eastern teams that travel west are generally from the NEC lately who have trouble finding ACC, AAC, etc. opponents to play & pay them. I think that is why you see St.Francis, Bobby Mo, etc. head west, but rarely a CAA opponent.

I'd love to see Villanova play a western powerhouse, but not at the cost of some great longtime PL rivals, a intercity rivalry of Temple, or a nice payday from an ACC team.

Just doesn't have the excitement here as it might in your town. Wish it was different, but at least Philly is excited by Carson Wentz. Most fans think he played at a D2 school. Perception can be a cold slap of reality,

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing against your Regional rivalries or historic rivalries with those conferences. I think it has more to do with scheduling games against schools from those conferences with no ties, weak schools from the Big South, and the Pioneer League.

UpstateBison
September 25th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Playing tough OOC FCS opponents is a very recent thing for NDSU. In 2012 they played Robert Morris and PV A&M, 2013 Ferris State and Delaware St., 2014 They did play the first of their Home and home 2 game series with Montana, but they also played Incarnate Word and Weber State. Last year they played in-state North Dakota, Weber State, and Montana, but did not have an FBS game.

2014 - NDSU beat Iowa State in Ames in 2014. Would like to see UNH in Fargo again.

Catsfan90
September 25th, 2016, 07:30 PM
2014 - NDSU beat Iowa State in Ames in 2014. Would like to see UNH in Fargo again.
I'd love to see NDSU in NH so we can return the hospitality :p

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2016, 07:32 PM

My response was to this post. I was trying to give background to why most of the long standing CAA stay within the confines of Ivy & PL for out of conference OOC games.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 07:34 PM
I'd love to see NDSU in NH so we can return the hospitality :p

What's New Hampshire's record against the Missouri Valley Conference in Durham? :p

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 07:38 PM
My response was to this post. I was trying to give background to why most of the long standing CAA stay within the confines of Ivy & PL for out of conference OOC games.

I agree, I still think that my statement is valid. There's no reason you guys couldn't take out a decent team from the Ohio Valley or Southern Conference. I don't expect you to go to the Midwest or West Coast. I understand the travel conditions.

Catsfan90
September 25th, 2016, 07:46 PM
What's New Hampshire's record against the Missouri Valley Conference in Durham? :p

0-0 new stadium, fresh slate :p

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I agree, I still think that my statement is valid. There's no reason you guys couldn't take out a decent team from the Ohio Valley or Southern Conference. I don't expect you to go to the Midwest or West Coast. I understand the travel conditions.

There should be more inter-conference play between SoCon and CAA, particularly when you consider how close some of our teams are geographically.

You guys in Iowa and the Dakotas will just never understand the reality of playing FCS football in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. Our options for nearby OOC opponents are extensive. There simply is no reason to travel 500+ miles to find a OOC game, and we have established relationships with nearby teams and healthy rivalries have developed over time. This is just not going to change because you don't like it or you're concerned it is a conspiracy to prevent 8+ MVFC teams from making it to the playoffs. Last time I checked the NCAA had not designated P and G conferences in the subdivision.

To respond to your question of MVFC games in Durham, I think we are 0-2, great games against UNI and ISUred that went down to the last possession. Could be wrong, but it is hard to recall all the playoff games when you make the playoffs for 12 years straight.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 09:02 PM
There should be more inter-conference play between SoCon and CAA, particularly when you consider how close some of our teams are geographically.

You guys in Iowa and the Dakotas will just never understand the reality of playing FCS football in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. Our options for nearby OOC opponents are extensive. There simply is no reason to travel 500+ miles to find a OOC game, and we have established relationships with nearby teams and healthy rivalries have developed over time. This is just not going to change because you don't like it or you're concerned it is a conspiracy to prevent 8+ MVFC teams from making it to the playoffs. Last time I checked the NCAA had not designated P and G conferences in the subdivision.

To respond to your question of MVFC games in Durham, I think we are 0-2, great games against UNI and ISUred that went down to the last possession. Could be wrong, but it is hard to recall all the playoff games when you make the playoffs for 12 years straight.

I was playing about the MVFC opponents in Durham. It's easy to count playoff games in Durham during those 12 years. ;)

We totally understand it, and I don't think the dig is on New Hampshire.

This year Albany played St. Francis. Could be argued that it is an old conference rival, not that the Red Flash were competitive back then. St. Francis and Youngstown aren't much different in distance. So there's one possibility.

Last year Delaware played Jacksonville.

James Madison vs Central Conn St or Morehead State could easily have been a regional OVC or SoCon. 2nd year in a row they scheduled Morehead.

Obviously not a bad game, but is there a Richmond-Colgate connection? I'm sure Colgate wasn't very good when that one was scheduled.

Those are just a few examples in the past few years. I get that there are a lot of reasons schedules are made the way they are, just don't act like no team in the CAA plays any games outside of regional rivalries.

Schools that could have easily been included on schedules: Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Youngstown State, Eastern Kentucky, Chattanooga, Furman, the Citadel, Wofford.

There are 8 schools that wouldn't be a stretch outside of the CAA footprint and would be decent games.

ngineer
September 25th, 2016, 09:08 PM
This is an argument that never ends in agreement. The Western FCS fans generally don't get that the Ivy, PL, & CAA have rivalries that they enjoy scheduling more than the "challenge" of the MVFC or Big Sky. Delaware-NDSU happens, but not that often.

The majority of the eastern FCS fans would rather play an eastern rival that most probably is steeped in tradition from football & if not football probably hoops. Our schools aren't spread so far apart & our schools are geographically favorable to travel & expenses to boot.

Most eastern FCS schools are located in or near major metropolitan cities & don't have the single minded sports fan drooling to see their team like Fargo, Cedar Falls, Mizzoula, or any other west of the Mississippi location. I wish it was different, but FCS football competes and usually loses to NFL & FBS football.

Yesterday was a hour or so ride to Easton, PA to watch my Wildcats play Lafayette. Maybe not a South Dakota State or Eastern Washington, but academically like schools that have had long history of multi-sports for over a century. Ironically, football hadn't played since 1920 although only 60 miles apart. Simply put tradition trumps the lure of perceived better FCS games.

I know the West FCS fans like to think that West football is superior to the east, but take that team from Fargo out of the equation and it's a matter of biased opinion not anything based on volume of facts. Eastern teams that travel west are generally from the NEC lately who have trouble finding ACC, AAC, etc. opponents to play & pay them. I think that is why you see St.Francis, Bobby Mo, etc. head west, but rarely a CAA opponent.

I'd love to see Villanova play a western powerhouse, but not at the cost of some great longtime PL rivals, a intercity rivalry of Temple, or a nice payday from an ACC team.

Just doesn't have the excitement here as it might in your town. Wish it was different, but at least Philly is excited by Carson Wentz. Most fans think he played at a D2 school. Perception can be a cold slap of reality,

Very well put. So true, that keeping our rivalries and so many options within a 1-3 hour drive predominate the thinking when it comes to scheduling. Costs are a major consideration and being able to bus within this radius has significant consideration.

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2016, 09:08 PM
I can't speak for other CAA schools, but I believe Villanova will not travel via plane more than 2x a year in the regular season. Another factor to consider. This season it's wheels up to Elon & Maine. I guess they could drive to Youngstown State & Liberty? I'm still not sure why.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 09:11 PM
While there is no official designation of power conferences, there are clearly 4 conferences that are head and shoulders above the others: MVFC, Big Sky, Socon, CAA

And the mid tier conferences: SLC, OVC

Lower teir: Big South, Patriot, NEC

Then the conferences that are basically off in their own world (and for most purposes more or less don't even play FCS football): Ivy, Pioneer, SWAC, MEAC

Though the ivy is more or less off in its own world, those games are pretty cool.

Though, unlike the FBS imo there is more potential mobility for all of the conferences.

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 09:16 PM

No, I'm saying they scheduled weak OOC FCS opponents in 2012, 2013, and except for Montana, also in 2014 (Weber was 2-10, Incarnate 2-9 in 2014). It's a very simple concept, I don't know why your struggling with it.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I can't speak for other CAA schools, but I believe Villanova will not travel via plane more than 2x a year in the regular season. Another factor to consider. This season it's wheels up to Elon & Maine. I guess they could drive to Youngstown State & Liberty? I'm still not sure why.

Notice I didn't post any Nova games. Your schedule totally makes sense. No arguments.

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 09:21 PM
While there is no official designation of power conferences, there are clearly 4 conferences that are head and shoulders above the others: MVFC, Big Sky, Socon, CAA

And the mid tier conferences: SLC, OVC

Lower teir: Big South, Patriot, NEC

Then the conferences that are basically off in their own world (and for most purposes more or less don't even play FCS football): Ivy, Pioneer, SWAC, MEAC

Though the ivy is more or less off in its own world, those games are pretty cool.

Though, unlike the FBS imo there is more potential mobility for all of the conferences.

You better get in your foxhole and prepare for incoming, your going to piss off a lot of fans on AGS with your Tier designations.

UAalum72
September 25th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Albany played at Youngstown in 2012. I haven't heard that they were interested in coming East. And we already traveled to Buffalo this year.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 09:32 PM
You better get in your foxhole and prepare for incoming, your going to piss off a lot of fans on AGS with your Tier designations.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Albany played at Youngstown in 2012. I haven't heard that they were interested in coming East. And we already traveled to Buffalo this year.

Were you CAA in 2012? :D

UAalum72
September 25th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Were you CAA in 2012? :D
What's your point? Out of conference contracts are between schools, not leagues. And we are allowed more than one OOC home game per year, aren't we?

KPSUL
September 25th, 2016, 09:42 PM
I was playing about the MVFC opponents in Durham. It's easy to count playoff games in Durham during those 12 years. ;)

We totally understand it, and I don't think the dig is on New Hampshire.

This year Albany played St. Francis. Could be argued that it is an old conference rival, not that the Red Flash were competitive back then. St. Francis and Youngstown aren't much different in distance. So there's one possibility.

Last year Delaware played Jacksonville.

James Madison vs Central Conn St or Morehead State could easily have been a regional OVC or SoCon. 2nd year in a row they scheduled Morehead.

Obviously not a bad game, but is there a Richmond-Colgate connection? I'm sure Colgate wasn't very good when that one was scheduled.

Those are just a few examples in the past few years. I get that there are a lot of reasons schedules are made the way they are, just don't act like no team in the CAA plays any games outside of regional rivalries.

Schools that could have easily been included on schedules: Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Youngstown State, Eastern Kentucky, Chattanooga, Furman, the Citadel, Wofford.

There are 8 schools that wouldn't be a stretch outside of the CAA footprint and would be decent games.

You make some reasonable suggestions for good matchups. UNI plays an insanely tough schedule. IMO your team is the example of playing too tough an OOC schedule. It's admirable, but maybe counter productive, and I don't think all the other teams in the MVFC do the same. I suspect if you looked at their OOC schedules of some of teams you could make very similar suggestions to improve the quality of their OOC schedules with little or no additional travel.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 09:48 PM
What's your point? Out of conference contracts are between schools, not leagues. And we are allowed more than one OOC home game per year, aren't we?

Maybe you should start over by going back and seeing what the original point of this discussion is. If you knew what my point was you wouldn't need to ask the question.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 09:50 PM
You make some reasonable suggestions for good matchups. UNI plays an insanely tough schedule. IMO your team is the example of playing too tough an OOC schedule. It's admirable, but maybe counter productive, and I don't think all the other teams in the MVFC do the same. I suspect if you looked at their OOC schedules of some of teams you could make very similar suggestions to improve the quality of their OOC schedules with little or no additional travel.

I totally agree. If you go back and read the thread my commentary has one purpose and that is to address the people that say that the CAA teams do not need to schedule anyone outside of their footprint. I am proving that they do and could schedule teams from the top conferences.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM

the Delaware fans that post on gohens were pretty excited about the home and home with the Bison, and never seemed to excited about any of the regional match ups

Gangtackle11
September 26th, 2016, 03:08 AM
the Delaware fans that post on gohens were pretty excited about the home and home with the Bison, and never seemed to excited about any of the regional match ups

Correct. All 6 of them! xpeacex

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Correct. All 6 of them! xpeacex

Hey, that's three more than there are Villanova football fans! What do you know! xrolleyesx

Gangtackle11
September 26th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Hey, that's three more than there are Villanova football fans! What do you know!

I knew that was coming. xeyebrowx

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2016, 05:25 AM
When did the OVC become a highly regarded conference? They are top loaded with JSU, then fall off dramatically. Playing A. Peay is doing nothing to improve your OOC.

RootinFerDukes
September 26th, 2016, 07:02 AM

These games are often scheduled at least two, often times five or seven years out. I wouldn't be surprised to see our 2016 OOC scheduled back in 2010. Are we just supposed to eat the money and pay it out only to invite UNI instead? The St. Francis, Morehead State and CCSU games were remaining from the Mickey Matthews era when he had heavy influence on OOC scheduling and only wanted the required FBS game plus two OOC cupcakes due to how difficult it is to win in the CAA. You can have good teams and still go 5-3 or 4-4 and fail to make the playoffs. If he doesn't make the playoffs, he loses his job, which he still did anyways. The cupcakes couldn't have saved his awful teams from 2009-2013.

We'll have Norfolk State in the coming years and that happened during the Everett Withers years, although he supposedly had no say in the scheduling according to some fans. EW wanted two FBS per year. Thank God he's gone because that's how you schedule yourself out of the playoffs and then out of a job.

Mike Houston wants better OOC, so only time will tell there. No scheduling has been announced since he took over. We were supposedly talking to NDSU about this year's FCS kickoff but a home and home couldn't come to an agreement so JMU stood firm and said no to NDSU supposedly. We don't schedule one and done's with FCS schools. Sorry, that would be pathetic.

Meanwhile, we're playing ETSU next year, so there's the SoCon team you're asking for. You're welcome.

RootinFerDukes
September 26th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Our AD, Jeff Bourne, has said that there's a 400 mile radius from campus rule. If it's more than 400 miles away driving, it's a plane flight. Less than, a bus trip. He's said a plane flight can cost 100-150k per trip, while a bus is 10-15k per trip. 1/10th the cost.

Catsfan90
September 26th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I totally agree. If you go back and read the thread my commentary has one purpose and that is to address the people that say that the CAA teams do not need to schedule anyone outside of their footprint. I am proving that they do and could schedule teams from the top conferences.
I'm a proponent of dumping the FBS game for home and homes with power fCS conferences.

I know it's a pipe dream because of how much funding the FBS games bring, but I'd much rather play EWU or UNI, than San Jose State.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 26th, 2016, 07:31 AM
It's all about the $$, even at this level. Although instead of profits, FCS schools are mostly trying to not lose as much money on any given year. As a result, teams stay in their geographical footprint. For some (see Villanova fans), it offers great traditional rivals at a short distance, while others (JMU fans) would prefer to test their team against the better competition.

I remember JMU played McNeese St. in the 90s, and App St. in the 00s (those were great games!), but in the 10s it has turned into cost savings + wins to pad the playoff resume. It's a great formula for East Coast schools - 2 lesser OOCs + 1 FBS = $$ and two wins. Then you only need to not lose more than two in conference to basically guarantee playoffs. I do like that JMU plays ACC schools for the most part for their FBS game (SMU was an outlier last year).

West Coast has always been screwed geographically for scheduling. The flip side is many of them have less recruiting competition locally, making Big Sky and MVFC teams damn strong. I guess you could argue that population-wise East Coast schools have an advantage, but I still think when you are the only game in town (UND, NDSU, Montana, Montana St., etc.) it makes a huge difference.

The best way to guarantee big games is to make the playoffs and win. First round is always regional, but it can sometimes get a little crazy the deeper you go. Just win baby!! (something my Dukes have not done much in the post season aside from '04 and '08...)

PantherRob82
September 26th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I swear no one actually reads the thread before responding. :p

DoubleH
September 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Stony Brook just being Stony Brook.

Pretty much this.

MacThor
September 27th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Richmond's OOC schedule is set 5 years out. They're listed in the game program.

The MEAC games are inevitable due to how heavily they recruit in the Richmond area. VMI is a traditional matchup that doesn't happen as often any more.

We are going to Sam Houston State next season. While not a power conference, few can argue they haven't been an FCS power team. Of course our FBS opponent backed out.

Over the past decade we have scheduled Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and Elon OOC (when the SoCon was THE power conference).

I don't know, I kind of like our 10-4 playoff record over the past decade. That includes 2-1 against MVFC co-champions, all on the road. Our "weak" OOC doesn't seem to have hurt too much.

Back on topic, Stony Brook has just had Rocco's number over the years.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Richmond's OOC schedule is set 5 years out. They're listed in the game program.

The MEAC games are inevitable due to how heavily they recruit in the Richmond area. VMI is a traditional matchup that doesn't happen as often any more.

We are going to Sam Houston State next season. While not a power conference, few can argue they haven't been an FCS power team. Of course our FBS opponent backed out.

Over the past decade we have scheduled Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and Elon OOC (when the SoCon was THE power conference).

I don't know, I kind of like our 10-4 playoff record over the past decade. That includes 2-1 against MVFC co-champions, all on the road. Our "weak" OOC doesn't seem to have hurt too much.

Back on topic, Stony Brook has just had Rocco's number over the years.

So, in other words, this conversation doesn't apply to Richmond. Got it. ;)

kalm
September 27th, 2016, 09:00 AM
The reasons East coast teams schedule close to home are understandable. And since the committee is softening it's stance on DII wins vs non-schollie wins it's less of an issue now.

But none of you should complain when the SOS argument comes up regarding polls and seeding. W&M is a classic example this year. Ranked high having lost convincingly to NC State and with wins over Hampton and Norfolk. Then it's a huge upset when they lose to Elon? I can't remember if they're still ranked at this point but I'm sure they at least received some votes based on the slot. And the same argument still rings true when a CAA with a similar a OOC schedule gets a high seed and/or home playoff games against a lower conference opponent while 8-3 BSC and MVFC bubble teams go on the road after having run the gauntlet OOC.

MacThor
September 27th, 2016, 12:06 PM
So, in other words, this conversation doesn't apply to Richmond. Got it. ;)

You were questioning UR's scheduling of Colgate. :)

KPSUL
September 27th, 2016, 01:33 PM
The reasons East coast teams schedule close to home are understandable. And since the committee is softening it's stance on DII wins vs non-schollie wins it's less of an issue now.

But none of you should complain when the SOS argument comes up regarding polls and seeding. W&M is a classic example this year. Ranked high having lost convincingly to NC State and with wins over Hampton and Norfolk. Then it's a huge upset when they lose to Elon? I can't remember if they're still ranked at this point but I'm sure they at least received some votes based on the slot. And the same argument still rings true when a CAA with a similar a OOC schedule gets a high seed and/or home playoff games against a lower conference opponent while 8-3 BSC and MVFC bubble teams go on the road after having run the gauntlet OOC.

Well you're right about W&M, and yes they are ranked 22 in our poll. Based on what I've seen in their recent post, I don't think most of the W&M AGS members even agree with that ranking. I have no idea where all the tribe love is coming from. Too many voters simply not paying attention?

In recent years, roughly the same number of Big Sky teams and CAA teams have made it to the playoffs. IMO there is near parity between the two conferences so that seems appropriate. There are just more FCS teams in the East. consequently, CAA teams are more likely to get an easier first game in the tournament. It's just a result of the regional distribution of FCS teams and conferences.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM
You were questioning UR's scheduling of Colgate. :)

Richmond does a fine job of scheduling. I was only giving examples of teams that don't seem to be historic or regional rivals.