PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington to Play Hawaii

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I don't believe I've seen this one yet, but EWU will be traveling to Hawaii this next season to play the Warriors in football. Eastern Illinois made the venture out there last year. Good news for EWU fans is that this means they'd get an extra game based on NCAA rules for teams that travel to Hawaii...
---------------
It is expected Division I-AA Eastern Washington will fill one of the openings in Hawaii's 2007 football schedule, an EWU spokesman said yesterday.

Sports information director Dave Cook said an EWU game would be at Hawaii, likely in September. He said he did not know if the "contract has been settled yet."

A source in Hawaii said he "knows" EWU is making arrangements to play UH here in 2007.

Eastern Washington went 3-8 overall and finished 3-5 for a sixth-place tie in the 10-team Big Sky Conference.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/01/04/sports/story02.html

NoCoDanny
January 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Wow, the Big Sky now has 10 teams? Who did they add in expansion?

eagle1
January 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I have heard about the possibility of the Hawaii game but nothing official. I think that it would be awesome playing the Warriors but we already have Brigham Young on the schedule for next year. The Eags played two BCS games last year against Oregon State and West Virginia and we all know how those turned out. Plus BYU and Hawaii both won bowl games this past year. Oh well, bring them on and hopefully Colt Brennan goes ahead and announces that he is going to the NFL this year. Go Eagles!!!

PantherRob82
January 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. Would be a lot easier than EIU's trip out there.

HiHiYikas
January 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. Would be a lot easier than EIU's trip out there.
or App State's

elkmcc
January 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The Griz played Hawaii in 2001. It was their only loss of the year, if you catch my drift.

Grizalltheway
January 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The Griz played Hawaii in 2001. It was their only loss of the year, if you catch my drift.

No, what are you trying to say? :p

TxSt02
January 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM
i would like to play in the five-o... that would a lot of fun...

YaleFootballFan
January 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Yale played at Hawaii in 1987 and lost 62-10. Despite the lopsided score, Yale actually had a pretty good team that year and had wins over William & Mary and Connecticut.

Jackluv
January 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
i like the teams that EWU gets contracts with. with them traveling to WVU this past year and that was pretty cool. NAU always plays UofA or ASU. Is there a reason why EWU doesnt play WSU or UW???????

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Done deal...

Eastern Washington agrees to play Warriors Sept. 8
By Stephen Tsai
Advertiser Staff Writer

Eastern Washington has reached an agreement in principle to play the University of Hawai'i in a football game Sept. 8 at Aloha Stadium.

EWU athletic director Darren Hamilton said he is waiting for UH athletic director Herman Frazier to finalize the contract.

"Once we sign the papers, everything will be good," Hamilton said.

Frazier, who is on the Mainland, is not scheduled to return to Hawai'i until Wednesday, his secretary said.

EWU is an NCAA Division I-AA member of the Big Sky Conference.

After this, the Warriors will have up to three openings on the 2007 schedule.

UH head coach June Jones said he did not know Eastern Washington would be on the schedule until he was told by reporters.

"That's good," Jones said. "Now we can fill up the others and get this thing going."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070105/SPORTS0201/701050372/1035/SPORTS

JALMOND
January 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
i like the teams that EWU gets contracts with. with them traveling to WVU this past year and that was pretty cool. NAU always plays UofA or ASU. Is there a reason why EWU doesnt play WSU or UW???????

Portland State last played in Hawaii in '99 and beat them 44-10 I believe. Since then, we cannot get a return to Hawaii if our life depended on it.

Does NAU have the same agreement with ASU and UofA that the Vikings have with Oregon and Oregon State, that if the Ducks and Beavers have an opening created, they will contact the Vikings in order to keep the money in-state? Wonder why the Eagles don't have the same agreement. Could be UW thinks they are so high and mighty, and WSU has their own patsy (Idaho) in their backyard.

PSUVikings
January 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
next year is UH's BCS year according to many, this may be a real hurt for EWU