PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls vs South Alabama

Mike296
September 23rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
This happens to be the only FBS vs FCS game on the cards that even has a chance of being an upset, the way Nicholls played Georgia I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the beat South Alabama.

Thoughts everyone?

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2016, 10:20 PM
I think that game was an anomaly. :)

bonarae
September 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM
I think that game was an anomaly. :)

It used to be... but a Slum Belch team makes no guarantee of a FCS scalp though. We'll see.

bojeta
September 23rd, 2016, 10:49 PM
Who knows? Anomaly? Evidence of a sleeper in Nichols? Total fluke? Would love to watch this one. Is it being televised or streamed?

bojeta
September 23rd, 2016, 11:17 PM
OH! True Story...... My great grandfather, John Reaney, served with Francis T. Nicholls in the Confederate Army. They were wounded together at the First Battle of Winchester. John Reaney was captured, but escaped, despite a mini-ball destroying his knee. Later, when Nicholls was Governor of Louisiana, and my great grandfather was elected State Representative of Louisiana, they wrote the new State Constitution along with the other reps. Nicholls later appointed my great grandfather the New Orleans 5th District Tax Assessor. They recently added his story (which I wrote) to the New Orleans Library. So there is my... whatever number of seconds of fame ;) Now back to football :)

Catatonic
September 24th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Who knows? Anomaly? Evidence of a sleeper in Nichols? Total fluke? Would love to watch this one. Is it being televised or streamed?

Exactly. The same questions could be asked about South Alabama, which upset Miss State in their opener only to turn around and lose two straight to non-P5 opponents. The schedule says this one is on ESPN3.

mvemjsunpx
September 24th, 2016, 04:08 AM
This happens to be the only FBS vs FCS game on the cards that even has a chance of being an upset, the way Nicholls played Georgia I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the beat South Alabama.

WIU/NIU? xeyebrowx

Twentysix
September 24th, 2016, 04:12 AM
WIU/NIU? xeyebrowx

in the MVFC thread the vast majority seem to think WIU will win. Maybe OP doesn't consider it an upset for that reason.

bonarae
September 24th, 2016, 05:22 AM
in the MVFC thread the vast majority seem to think WIU will win. Maybe OP doesn't consider it an upset for that reason.

Notice that for NIU:
They have lost their 3 games played so far by an average of 17 points (6, 31 and 14)
All of their opponents are middle-of-the-pack FBS (Note though that WIU is a middle-tier FCS program at present, though they were top-tier some two decades ago)
Rushing yardage gap (369) is greater than passing yardage gap (33)
Third down conversion percentage at 28% only

Actually, I do believe WIU can have a scalp in their hands at the end of the game, but if they couldn't get a hold of the clock, among other things related to the offense and defense, NIU could win.

Mike296
September 24th, 2016, 11:42 AM
If WIU wins against NIU I'm not considering that an upset. NIU has been god awful this year

Edit: Also I'm intrigued by Missouri State vs Kansas State though that probably is going to be a blowout in KSU's favor.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Nicholls is in it. Wow.

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2016, 09:48 PM
OT time.....surprised Nicholls kneeled on it. Oh, and LOL Sunbelt.

Mike296
September 24th, 2016, 09:50 PM
I called this one to be close and it looks like I was right

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 10:01 PM
It seems like Nicholls went for two and didn't get it? They lost 41-40....

kdinva
Nicholls goes for two after their 2nd OT TD, failed, and falls 41-40.....

BisonFan02
Right call to go for 2 there......and whoever was the announcer calling for a ranked Nicholls and that teams in the FCS should want no part of playing them....time to find a new profession. xlolx

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Nicholls is interesting; two losses to FBS teams by a total of 3 points. I'm interested to see what they do against McNeese next week

Daytripper
September 24th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Nicholls is interesting; two losses to FBS teams by a total of 3 points. I'm interested to see what they do against McNeese next week

They should beat McNeese.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2016, 10:24 PM
They should beat McNeese.

It makes for a tough back to back slate for SFA: Sam on the 1st, Nicholls on the 8th

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2016, 10:46 PM
OT time.....surprised Nicholls kneeled on it. Oh, and LOL Sunbelt.

The mighty MAC has lost 3 games to FCS teams. South Alabama is 0-2 in the Sun Belt.

Seriously, though, I think Nicholls really has a respectable team this year, the win-loss record notwithstanding.

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2016, 11:01 PM
The mighty MAC has lost 3 games to FCS teams. South Alabama is 0-2 in the Sun Belt.

Seriously, though, I think Nicholls really has a respectable team this year, the win-loss record notwithstanding.

OT with the MAC here....I already let them have it in the WIU/NIU game thread. #bewarethemightyG5

Daytripper
September 24th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Nicholls is for real.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Can we really saying they are for real when they haven't played anyone in conference? Illinois State be a Big Ten team and then lost to Eastern Illinois and Indiana State so I'm not sure that performances and FBS games are true markers of a team's quality.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Can we really saying they are for real when they haven't played anyone in conference? Illinois State be a Big Ten team and then lost to Eastern Illinois and Indiana State so I'm not sure that performances and FBS games are true markers of a team's quality.

Given that Nicholls is a perennial cellar dweller who usually takes on a conference opponent's third string...maybe.

I'm interested in their game vs the Pokes

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Given that Nicholls is a perennial cellar dweller who usually takes on a conference opponent's third string...maybe.

I'm interested in their game vs the Pokes

I just remember other years where teams have either beaten or had really good performances against FBS teams and didn't even finish in the top half of their conference. They definitely have caught my eye with their performances in these two games, but I'm not ready to Crown them yet.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2016, 11:56 PM
I just remember other years where teams have either beaten or had really good performances against FBS teams and didn't even finish in the top half of their conference. They definitely have caught my eye with their performances in these two games, but I'm not ready to Crown them yet.

I don't think anyone is crowning them, but they aren't being viewed as a scrimmage anymore

Hood
September 25th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Nicholls is for real.
Maybe, but so is a good # of our conference mates. We already had our bye week so there's no break between now and the end of the season. And I doubt they'd secure a bye in the playoffs.