PDA

View Full Version : The best passing I-AA schools/my work ethic

WR7
July 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hello, currently Im 14 years old and I live in delaware I will be going to high school next year Im right now Im working hard on being the best wide receiver and so I just wanted to ask if you know what are the best I-AA schools for passing and also what do you think of my work ethic?

Right now Im 5.10 ft 144 lbs with mascualr frame and here is my work out regiment

Currently I have this work out regiment for 7 months and it maid a big impact on my body because I added lots of muscle and I go up to 10-15 lbs every month on my weight training so here are my results:

First of I would like to say that my trainer took me to run on a track with her and my 40 yard dash time shocked me! I ran a 4.87 which I think isn't too bad for a freshman but still I want o work even harder so here is how I train

Tuesday:

*Tread Mill Warm Up 2 min
*Leg Press:140 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Quad Press:140 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Hamstring Pull Ups:40 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Dumbell Lunges:60 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Dumbell Calve Raises:50 lbs 3 sets 20 reps
*Shoulder lateral Raise:30 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Tricep Pull Downs:40 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Barbell Curls:45 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*On ball crunches:30 lbs 3 sets 15 reps

Then I go home rest for 20 min and then I put on these for 3 running exersies:http://www.speedtrainers.com/mainframe.htm

The 3 exersises that I perform with speedtrainers were used by Jerry Rice to improve his quickness

Exersise 1:Triangle Drill-15 min
Exersise 2:Circle Drill-15 min
Exersise 3: 10 yard high step 30 yard sprint and 10 yard high step
Final exersise 50 yard dash-30 min without speedtrainers

Thursday:
*Tread Mill Warm Up 2 min
*Bench Press 90 lbs 3 sets 12 reps
*Peck Deck Flyes:50 lbs 3 sets 12 reps
*Dumbell Shrugs: 60 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Pull Donws: 70 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Machine Back Press:170 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Behind the back barbell curl (foreams)75 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*Reverse Barbell Curl: 35 lbs 3 sets 15 reps
*On ball crunches:30 lbs 3 sets 15 reps

Usually On Fridays or Sundays I play with a former HS QB whp passes me 60-70 yard passes and we work on diffrerent routes such as SLANTS,DOWN INS,OUTS, POSTS,FLYS and other more advanced routes. On saturdays or sundays I also practice with a friend who will be a QB for Newark High School, he can pass 60 yards with a fast bullet spirals and we work on the chemistry for 6-7 hours.

ISUMatt
July 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Last yr the Top 5 in paiing yds per game were...

1. SE Louisiana-408ypg
2. Sam Houston ST-358.8ypg
3. Idaho St-328.2ypg
4. Hofstra-326.9ypg
5. Appalachian St-322.6ypg

Last...Wofford-68.5 ypg

Eagle_77
July 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. You didn’t mention anything about stretching. If you are not currently doing much stretching you might want to consider doing some or more. Stretching increase mobility which in turn increase speed and agility. If you are going to do a 1 hour work out I would suggest that you stretch for about 15 minuets before you work out and at least another 15 afterwards.

You also mentioned your 40 time. That is not a bad time but if you want to be a big time receiver you realize that will have to improve. One way that I suggest you do so is by working on your start. This is where most young runners loose the most of their time. Work on getting out the blocks and the first 10 yards. Improve here and your 40 time will drop. College coaches really like players that are explosive out of the box and accelerate quickly because if you can beat a player off the line then you almost always have him beat for the reset of the play.

As far as I-AA passing teams go there are several that are consistently good. Montana, Delaware, Hofstra, and App St are a few of the better teams. If you are looking for schools who pass a lot then Chattanooga, Florida A&M,
SE LA and Southern usually do a lot of passing.

Hope this helps.

golionsgo
July 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Of course I'm biased but I can't think of a better offense for wide receivers than ours (Southeastern Louisiana). Last year, we had eight backs/receivers catch 20 or more balls, including four guys who caught 40+ passes (our leading receiver had 84 receptions). Taking it even further, we had three more catch 10 or more passes and a grand total of 18 guys caught at least one pass on the season. We easily run 10 to 12 deep at the WR position and they all get a chance to play and contribute. Obviously some more than others but at least if you're the no. 9 or 10 receiver on the roster, you'll still get plenty of playing time more than likely.

No question there are other very good passing offenses in I-AA but if you're a WR, the chance to participate and excel in our offense speaks for itself.

rokamortis
July 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
golionsgo - you guys have been an awesome passing team the last 2 years - but isn't the offense going to change a bit now that Mumme left? Isn't that why Hankins quit yiour program? It just seems to me that you guys will not be passing as much as you have in the past 2 seasons.

golionsgo
July 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM
golionsgo - you guys have been an awesome passing team the last 2 years - but isn't the offense going to change a bit now that Mumme left? Isn't that why Hankins quit yiour program? It just seems to me that you guys will not be passing as much as you have in the past 2 seasons.

Incorrect. While we may run it a little bit more, the fact is, we're running the exact same offense with a continued primary emphasis on spreading the field and throwing the football. Nothing will change that much other than we'll have a new starting QB.

As for why Hankins left, it had nothing to do with our style of play. A couple of ill-informed sports writers assumed that in a couple of articles on Hankins but his reasons for leaving had more to do with him not being able to handle constructive criticism as well as a desire to play on the I-A level. While he was no doubt a very good quarterback and we'll hate to lose his talent and experience, it was best for all involved that he move on.

WR7
July 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys, by the way yes I did forgot to mention that I stretch every day for 40 min, I stretch calves, hamstrings,MCL'S, Glutes my back and etc.. Also how can I increase my chances to go to the NFL in the I-AA school?

golionsgo
July 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys, by the way yes I did forgot to mention that I stretch every day for 40 min, I stretch calves, hamstrings,MCL'S, Glutes my back and etc.. Also how can I increase my chances to go to the NFL in the I-AA school?

Just out of curiosity, is it your desire to attend a I-AA school regardless? If you're 5-10, 144, and run a 4.8+ 40 right now, and just now entering your freshman year of high school, there's a possibility that by the time you're a senior, you may have opportunities to play at the I-A level, especially if your work ethic is that good.

As far as NFL chances, there are a lot of guys in the NFL from schools that are I-AA and smaller so I wouldn't worry too much about getting an opportunity if you prove to be good enough.

WR7
July 9th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks I think I will just have to keep up my hard work and determination! :) Thanks again

eagleskins
July 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
You might also want to go to class more, because your spelling is horrible.

blur2005
July 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Hostra is a good bet. The Pride are always in the top 5 in passing.

Tailbone
July 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Of course, if in addition to your other goals,You'd like a chance at a National Championship, Montana would be an obvious choice. :D

ngineer
July 9th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Good point Eagleskins. The percentage of high school players who ever make the 'big time' is quite small. I hope your playing for the love of the game and not strictly seeing it as a vocation. We all have our dreams--for they keep us motivated, but you must also be realistic, too.

umassfan
July 10th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Just cuz spelling was big in your day old timer... dont mean you need to pick on us young kids where we let the computer do the spelling for us.

TxSt02
July 10th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Last yr the Top 5 in paiing yds per game were...

1. SE Louisiana-408ypg
2. Sam Houston ST-358.8ypg
3. Idaho St-328.2ypg
4. Hofstra-326.9ypg
5. Appalachian St-322.6ypg

Last...Wofford-68.5 ypg

You wont see Sam Houston in the 20 this year...

AgentOrange
July 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM
You wont see Sam Houston in the 20 this year...
Are we talking the Top 20 on this regard??? Believe me, our school may not be as strong as we were last season when it comes to passing percentage, but that does not take aything away from our overall air assault. Noah Allen can produce as much with his arm as he can with his legs. The kid can motor, and it's a shame that we have to wait until the last game of the season to show you how it is.

WR7
July 10th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Yeah, Im just going to wait till I grow up and find the right passing college like delaware they pass almost every time and I like the school as well

FL connection
July 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks I think I will just have to keep up my hard work and determination! :) Thanks again

Remember to have FUN........football is game that has to be FUN!!! You seem to be working very hard with high aspirations......keep some perspective and enjoy!! connection out!

WR7
July 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah I mean I will have fun thats what I have been working for in the past few months to just go out there and have fun but also keep focus because when Im focused I can't be stoped :D

HensRock
July 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, Im just going to wait till I grow up and find the right passing college like delaware they pass almost every time and I like the school as well

A word of warning:
Spread Option Offense does not = Pass-happy. Delaware is a case in point.
Last season UD ranked 40th in rushing in I-AA and 49th in passing (although passing yardage was more than run). In Delaware's championship season, they ranked 20th in rushing (207 ypg) and 71st in passing (183 ypg). Delaware's offense is balanced (I happen to think this is a good thing, but as an aspiring WR you might feel otherwise). The goal of the Spread Offense is to stretch the defense - this opens up the pass AND the run.

As part of your routine - don't forget to hit the books. I don't know how good your grades are, but eagleskins touched on a very good point which should not go unnoticed. A super-star athlete does a coach no good if he is academically ineligble - so they want to recruit kids that are good students as well as good athletes that can contribute to the program.

CosmoVixen24
July 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
As for why Hankins left, it had nothing to do with our style of play. A couple of ill-informed sports writers assumed that in a couple of articles on Hankins but his reasons for leaving had more to do with him not being able to handle constructive criticism as well as a desire to play on the I-A level. While he was no doubt a very good quarterback and we'll hate to lose his talent and experience, it was best for all involved that he move on.

You're exactly right, and also because these coaches aren't as "buddy buddy" like Mumme's crew, but mean serious business on the field. :nod:

TxSt02
July 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Are we talking the Top 20 on this regard??? Believe me, our school may not be as strong as we were last season when it comes to passing percentage, but that does not take aything away from our overall air assault. Noah Allen can produce as much with his arm as he can with his legs. The kid can motor, and it's a shame that we have to wait until the last game of the season to show you how it is.

You have to have receivers to catch the ball. Hopefully your new guys will stay of the dube... I will make this guarantee right now: Stevie Smith will not make it through the entire season... And this has nothing to do with injury...

blukeys
July 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hello, currently Im 14 years old and I live in delaware I will be going to high school next year Im right now Im working hard on being the best wide receiver and so I just wanted to ask if you know what are the best I-AA schools for passing and also what do you think of my work ethic?

Nothing wrong with your work ethic. I would look at some plyometric exercises I did not see in you speedtrainers web site. Specifically, what are called box jumps and depth jumps. You can find these in books and websites specifically devoted to increasing vertical leap.

gsuwinsudont
July 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Just cuz spelling was big in your day old timer... dont mean you need to pick on us young kids where we let the computer do the spelling for us.

The irony is that you two are about the same age. :D

WR7
July 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Im a B+ type student I get A's in reading and writing but Im strugling in math even though I get a B all year round the stupid DSTP messed it up, also I will ook into the pylometric exersies

eagleskins
July 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Old timer? I am still in college.

D1B
July 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM

WR&, you would do well to consider other important factors in choosing a college. Like academics, tuition, student to faculty ratio, coaching staff, campus atmosphere, etc. Go to college to become a good person. The football stuff will follow if you work hard.

Regarding your workout: Keep up the good work and vary your workout routine. Choose lifting exercises that use multiple muscle groups versus isolation (Reverse grip chin ups versus dumbell curls) and pay careful attention to what you eat.

Take a look at Northern Iowa or the Gateway Football Conference. The GFC has more active NFL players than any league in 1AA. Check out www.unipanthers.com

blukeys
July 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Take a look at Northern Iowa or the Gateway Football Conference. The GFC has more active NFL players than any league in 1AA. Check out www.unipanthers.com
Any Delaware Kid who goes to a Gateway school, especially UNI, would immediately be ostracized and condemned. His father would lose his job and the entire family would eventually go on welfare. His sister and brother still in school would find their grades drop to F's. ;) ;)

And just where is your report of your fishing trip D1B! I come back early to see how Ralph did and nothing. You are falling down on the job!

exbearkat
July 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM
You have to have receivers to catch the ball. Hopefully your new guys will stay of the dube... I will make this guarantee right now: Stevie Smith will not make it through the entire season... And this has nothing to do with injury...
Well, so far SS is 3 for 3 ('02, '03, '04 - all complete seasons). Having said that, I'd say there is close to a 100% chance that he will make it 4 in a row. :nod:

TxSt02
July 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Well, so far SS is 3 for 3 ('02, '03, '04 - all complete seasons). Having said that, I'd say there is close to a 100% chance that he will make it 4 in a row. :nod:

I agree and should of not said WONT complete, however he has a 25% chance of not... I know this guy's character.

D1B
July 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Any Delaware Kid who goes to a Gateway school, especially UNI, would immediately be ostracized and condemned. His father would lose his job and the entire family would eventually go on welfare. His sister and brother still in school would find their grades drop to F's. ;) ;)

And just where is your report of your fishing trip D1B! I come back early to see how Ralph did and nothing. You are falling down on the job!

LMAO Keyz! :D

We had a fun trip. I wish we had a little more time though. Fishing was tough. Just caught 1 walleye. :(

Ralph's kids are great - smart, funny, and very well behaved. He should be proud.

I'll post more later, after this hangover is gone. :o

WR7
July 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah I forogot my diet is very nutritious, I eat fruits, vegetables, meats eggs and cheeze with milk

D1B
July 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah I forogot my diet is very nutritious, I eat fruits, vegetables, meats eggs and cheeze with milk

Lay off the dairy (except for yogurt). Yogurt is key - high in protein and contains beneficial bacteria that keep your digestive system in top shape. Very important.

blukeys
July 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Yogurt is key - high in protein and contains beneficial bacteria that keep your digestive system in top shape. Very important.

Listen to Uncle D1B. He knows ALL about the importance of keeping your digestive system in tip top shape.

Killtoppers90
July 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM
If not, EKU would have a spot for him!

Killtoppers90
July 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM

If not, EKU would have a spot for him!

kats89
July 11th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I agree and should of not said WONT complete, however he has a 25% chance of not... I know this guy's character.

Shouldn't your team worry about getting off of NCAA probation before you start talking your smack again. And as far as Stevie goes, he has been a steady ball player for the Kats and if SHSU was going to have any trouble with him in his career, I would have thought it would have already showed by now. He will be an important part of the offense this year. Look for this guy to light your defense up in November

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/front_fb_14.jpg

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 11th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Shouldn't your team worry about getting off of NCAA probation before you start talking your smack again. And as far as Stevie goes, he has been a steady ball player for the Kats and if SHSU was going to have any trouble with him in his career, I would have thought it would have already showed by now. He will be an important part of the offense this year. Look for this guy to light your defense up in November

Yeah...because our NCAA probation is SOOOO harsh. :rolleyes: Maybe you should do some research--we've already served our penalty (i.e. firing of the goons).

K...BACK TO THE TOPIC. This isn't the smack board.

winstoneagle
July 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
If you are good enough, NFL scouts will find you. Good luck, sounds like you have a good work ethic. My only tip is, increase your weight when doing calf exercises. They are used to supporting your body weight all day, so they wont grow unless you use much heavier weight. Also remember to use strict form, you can do a ton of weight, but if you have terrible form, you wont get any gains.

TxSt02
July 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Good thing that you have him for more then one year. He may actually be getting his degree from SH!

kats89
July 11th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Good thing that you have him for more then one year. He may actually be getting his degree from SH!

That is all you can talk about! :deadhorse

TxSt02
July 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
That is all you can talk about! :deadhorse

I just find it funny that D Long got his degree from aTm. Now a serious question: Did he take classes at Sam and if so how many hours did he take because it couldnt be that many if he was also taking extensions from aTm? I am serious, I am curious. Thx

kats89
July 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
He had to be enrolled to play ball.

So freakin what if his degree is from A&M. What if he had already had his degree from A&M had one year of elgibility left and wanted to play it and enrolled at SHSU to obtain his masters degree? If TSU-SM had the opportunity to jump on an athlete that would make a difference in helping your team to get a shot at a NC, your coaches would be all over it. Maybe that is why your team still SUCKS!!!!!! It happens every day in college athletics.
If we had not gotten as far as we did then you knuckleheads would not even be bringing it up. If it is not a problem with the NCAA rules, then go with it. Freakin' get over it!!!!!!! :bang:

TxSt02
July 11th, 2005, 04:10 PM
He had to be enrolled to play ball.

So freakin what if his degree is from A&M. What if he had already had his degree from A&M had one year of elgibility left and wanted to play it and enrolled at SHSU to obtain his masters degree? If TSU-SM had the opportunity to jump on an athlete that would make a difference in helping your team to get a shot at a NC, your coaches would be all over it. Maybe that is why your team still SUCKS!!!!!! It happens every day in college athletics.
If we had not gotten as far as we did then you knuckleheads would not even be bringing it up. If it is not a problem with the NCAA rules, then go with it. Freakin' get over it!!!!!!! :bang:

boo hoo You should try consistency within your post. If you call us TSU-SM then A&M should really be A&M-CS

WR7
July 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I now changed up my running routine to more sprinting because that increases your 40 time and later next year I will get this as well

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-06110517110106170712170-0&supercat=home&model_nbr=38557&sku=2002&module=home&action=view&zone=1&grid=3

CrunchGriz
July 11th, 2005, 05:38 PM
boo hoo You should try consistency within your post. If you call us TSU-SM then A&M should really be A&M-CS

Maybe we could show a little consistency within a thread, as well. While the little spat between Texas State and Sam Houston State fans is entertaining at times, you've now managed to hijack about 10 different threads with your squabbling.

This young guy came onto this board to try to find some serious information about how to improve as a player. In this thread, let's give him our wisdom (if any), and let it go at that.

Fair enough?

(Nothing against either TS or SH--just want threads to at least vaguely resemble what they start to be about).

TxSt02
July 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Maybe we could show a little consistency within a thread, as well. While the little spat between Texas State and Sam Houston State fans is entertaining at times, you've now managed to hijack about 10 different threads with your squabbling.

This young guy came onto this board to try to find some serious information about how to improve as a player. In this thread, let's give him our wisdom (if any), and let it go at that.

Fair enough?

(Nothing against either TS or SH--just want threads to at least vaguely resemble what they start to be about).

yes dad but he started it! just kidding.

kats89
July 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I now changed up my running routine to more sprinting because that increases your 40 time and later next year I will get this as well

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-06110517110106170712170-0&supercat=home&model_nbr=38557&sku=2002&module=home&action=view&zone=1&grid=3

WR7, don't worry about the smack talking with the tx state fan. When you arrive at Sam Houston in a couple of years, you will be able to talk smack on the field to those morons. Keep up the hard work!

kats89
July 12th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Why don't you go look at your university website and tell me what it says on there, Texas State Univeristy-San Marcos.