View Full Version : Villanova @ Lafayette

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2016, 12:13 PM
When: Saturday, September 24th 6pm

Where: @ Lafayette

VILLANOVA FOOTBALL
Head Coach: Andy Talley
Alma Mater: Southern Connecticut ’67
Record at School: 223-134-1 (31 seasons) Career Record: 251-152-2 (36 seasons)
TEAM RECORD: 2-1 (1-0)

LAFAYETTE FOOTBALL
Head Football Coach: Frank Tavani Lebanon Valley’75
Record at School/Career: 84-101 18 seasons as HC/Lafayette)
TEAM RECORD: 1-2 (0-0)

THE SERIES (LAFAYETTE LEADS, 4-0)
First Meeting: 10/1/1898 (tel:10/1/1898) (Lafayette 16, Villanova 0)
Last Meeting: 11/13/1920 (Lafayette 34, Villanova 0)
Current Streak: Lafayette +4
In Easton: Lafayette leads, 4-0
In Villanova: N/A
Largest Margin of Victory (Lafayette): Lafayette 34, Villanova 0 (11/13/1920)
Largest Margin of Victory (Villanova): N/A

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Amazingly, 1st meeting since 1920. Comments welcomed.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2016, 12:50 PM
The game so important it needs 2 threads. :D

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2016, 12:51 PM
The game so important it needs 2 threads. :D

Irrational exuberance on my part!!

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Irrational exuberance on my part!!

You guys the win last night, easy to understand. :D

UNHWildcat18
September 18th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Villanova 42-17

CHIP72
September 18th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I intend to be at Fisher Field for this one! (I'll also attend Princeton/Lehigh earlier in the day.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngineer
September 18th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Yes, a Lehigh Valley doubleheader day! Leotards will have moxie, but not enough for 'nova. With Richmond and UNH being upended, 'cats looking to make a statement about their poll position. Talley's last season will be giving them extra hop.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I would like to see the Laffy D hold you guys down for 3 quarters like they did to Delaware but it probably will not happen

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Get there early, Nova fans! Parking in Easton on a football Saturday can be dicey...xcoolx

Gangtackle11
September 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Villanova opens up as 20 point favorite. Over/under is 37

Gangtackle11
September 21st, 2016, 06:15 AM
Lafayette game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lafa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20160920aaa.pdf

Nova09
September 21st, 2016, 08:06 AM
Villanova opens up as 20 point favorite. Over/under is 37

Indicates a score around 29-9, which is actually surprisingly believable given Nova's inability to kick extra points can lead to any crazy total and Frank settling for fgs when he needs points is pretty much a guarantee

CatsWin
September 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
Heading to Lafayette on Saturday. Any suggestions on parking? I know that it's Parents Weekend and they don't have a lot of parking to start with. Thanks!!

CHIP72
September 21st, 2016, 03:14 PM
Heading to Lafayette on Saturday. Any suggestions on parking? I know that it's Parents Weekend and they don't have a lot of parking to start with. Thanks!!

Exit US 22 at 13th Street and approach the stadium from the west. Park a few blocks away on the street and walk to the stadium. I've never had a parking issue at Fisher Field with this approach, including on Parents' Weekend, and I typically show up 30-45 minutes before the game.

CatsWin
September 21st, 2016, 06:50 PM
Exit US 22 at 13th Street and approach the stadium from the west. Park a few blocks away on the street and walk to the stadium. I've never had a parking issue at Fisher Field with this approach, including on Parents' Weekend, and I typically show up 30-45 minutes before the game.

I looked on a map and that looks like it's a nice straight shot to the stadium while avoiding the campus traffic. Thanks for the heads up!!

ngineer
September 21st, 2016, 10:58 PM
Might be able to park "below" the stadium at one of the businesses on Bushkill who might allow parking. But left with a good uphill hike. Should be street parking in the neighborhood a few blocks to the north as well as on the eastern side of Cattell Street.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2016, 12:13 AM
Good luck with parking! I'm already trying to come up with a plan for Lehigh-Lafayette. I've used the booster bus in the past but likely won't go that route this year. I might take a party bus with some alums/former players or try uber from downtown Easton.

The only other time I've driven to Lafayette is for a Temple hoops game 8-9 years ago. Even that was annoying....

Gate83
September 22nd, 2016, 05:44 AM

Set your gps for the College Hill Tavern (420 Cattell St, Easton, PA 18042), park on the street nearby & walk over. Excellent bar, easy parking, did this drill for our game with Laffy last year. Thanks to Andy for the suggestion!

carney2
September 22nd, 2016, 11:21 AM
The only time there's a real parking problem is when there is a sellout. That only happens once every two years. I doubt if anyone will experience more than a slight annoyance this week.

LUHawker
September 22nd, 2016, 11:27 AM
The only time there's a real parking problem is when there is a sellout. That only happens once every two years. I doubt if anyone will experience more than a slight annoyance this week.

I've never had a parking issue for L-L. Just park in the neighborhood and walk a few short blocks. It's not ideal, but not prohibitive.

Andy
September 22nd, 2016, 11:42 AM
Set your gps for the College Hill Tavern (420 Cattell St, Easton, PA 18042), park on the street nearby & walk over. Excellent bar, easy parking, did this drill for our game with Laffy last year. Thanks to Andy for the suggestion!

Good deal, 83. You, LUhawker, chip have it right. Just park on the village streets east of stadium. No problem whatsoever. The Lehigh fans complaining have an agenda or have only been there for Laf-LU, 14,000. Unlike the lehigh bowl, you'll have a great view of the action in Fisher. Burgers, clubs, wings, Guinness in the Tavern, cant go wrong. Enjoy!

carney2
September 22nd, 2016, 02:49 PM
Doubling down on what others have said about the parking situation on College Hill in Easton, most of the griping comes from Lehigh types who arrive once every other year when there is a guaranteed full house. They are used to the wide open spaces around Badman where you have a parking lot, albeit much of it a muddy quagmire at times. You will not have any of the problems that you are imagining. Trust me.

Exit Rte. 22 at 13th St. and turn left at the light. At the next light continue up the hill onto West Lafayette St. Continue to Cattell St. and turn right. Look for the College Hill Tavern on the right in 2 or 3 blocks and begin circling.

CHIP72
September 22nd, 2016, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I've never attended the L-L game at Fisher Field, but that is the one game at Lafayette (well, besides Easton/Phillipsburg on Thanksgiving Day) where even nearby street parking would be a problem unless you arrived at least a couple hours in advance.

CatsWin
September 22nd, 2016, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I've never attended the L-L game at Fisher Field, but that is the one game at Lafayette (well, besides Easton/Phillipsburg on Thanksgiving Day) where even nearby street parking would be a problem unless you arrived at least a couple hours in advance.

Thanks Guys!!!

Gate83
September 22nd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Good deal, 83. You, LUhawker, chip have it right. Just park on the village streets east of stadium. No problem whatsoever. The Lehigh fans complaining have an agenda or have only been there for Laf-LU, 14,000. Unlike the lehigh bowl, you'll have a great view of the action in Fisher. Burgers, clubs, wings, Guinness in the Tavern, cant go wrong. Enjoy!

The only problem I had with the CHT was that Andy didn't show up to meet me pregame... we'll remedy that next year I'd expect!

CHIP72
September 22nd, 2016, 09:24 PM
Not to give away all my secrets, but what I usually do when I go to Lafayette sports events (football and men's basketball) is I use Lafayette Street to Hamilton, turn right at Hamilton, turn left at Pierce (2 blocks from Lafayette Street), look for parking on Pierce between Hamilton and McCartney, and if I don't get parking there, I then turn left onto McCartney and park on that street somewhere between Pierce and Lafayette Streets. McCartney actually has the right of way at Lafayette Street (i.e. Lafayette has a stop sign), which makes it easier to turn left back onto Lafayette when one leaves after the game.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2016, 09:50 PM
Doubling down on what others have said about the parking situation on College Hill in Easton, most of the griping comes from Lehigh types who arrive once every other year when there is a guaranteed full house. They are used to the wide open spaces around Badman where you have a parking lot, albeit much of it a muddy quagmire at times. You will not have any of the problems that you are imagining. Trust me.

Exit Rte. 22 at 13th St. and turn left at the light. At the next light continue up the hill onto West Lafayette St. Continue to Cattell St. and turn right. Look for the College Hill Tavern on the right in 2 or 3 blocks and begin circling.

I have often wondered why some of that area has not been paved. It is AWFUL in the rain and drains poorly.

HailSzczur
September 23rd, 2016, 07:20 AM
McCartney actually has the right of way at Lafayette Street (i.e. Lafayette has a stop sign), which makes it easier to turn left back onto Lafayette when one leaves after the game.

Here's hoping the home crowd is leaving early and there's no issues anyway. Excited to get to add another stadium to my list tomorrow. Haven't been up to Easton since I was visiting/applying to schools.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2016, 07:43 AM
Here's hoping the home crowd is leaving early and there's no issues anyway. Excited to get to add another stadium to my list tomorrow. Haven't been up to Easton since I was visiting/applying to schools.

The main traffic flow on College Hill in Easton goes from the north-south Cattell Street to the east-west Lafayette Street one block before McCartney Street (which parallels Cattell Street). Traffic turning from Cattell Street to Lafayette Street doesn't have to stop at that intersection, Lafayette Street has relatively high traffic volumes, the sight distance at intersections along Lafayette Street is often poor due to parked cars along Lafayette Street, and it is dark at the end of 6 PM start time games.

centraljerseycat
September 23rd, 2016, 07:54 AM
What is the ticket situation like for Family Weekend? Can you go to the box office an hour before the game and get a ticket?

carney2
September 23rd, 2016, 07:58 AM
What is the ticket situation like for Family Weekend? Can you go to the box office an hour before the game and get a ticket?

There has been no "rush" on Lafayette football tickets for some years now. "Family Weekend" shouldn't make much difference. You should be OK just walking up with your wallet open.

centraljerseycat
September 23rd, 2016, 08:26 AM
There has been no "rush" on Lafayette football tickets for some years now. "Family Weekend" shouldn't make much difference. You should be OK just walking up with your wallet open.

Thanks!

HailSzczur
September 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
The main traffic flow on College Hill in Easton goes from the north-south Cattell Street to the east-west Lafayette Street one block before McCartney Street (which parallels Cattell Street). Traffic turning from Cattell Street to Lafayette Street doesn't have to stop at that intersection, Lafayette Street has relatively high traffic volumes, the sight distance at intersections along Lafayette Street is often poor due to parked cars along Lafayette Street, and it is dark at the end of 6 PM start time games.

Guess my sarcasm was lost.....

But I appreciate all the direction/parking help. Only time I've been to campus we just waltzed in and parked in the garage/lot right behind Fischer to go to an open house(been 6.5 years, memory is fuzzy).

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2016, 07:14 PM

Carney, looks like a cut and paste of the response some of the Delaware fans got, nice job by the Laffy AD by getting both Delaware and Nova to Easton separated by 14 days..... nice job

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Buy them first thing when you get there because you will be stuck in a line of oblivious and confused parents.

Also they will behave in a cookie cutter manner and insist they have to sit in the seat on their ticket.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 05:13 PM
TD 'Nova on a scoop and score 15 seconds into the game!

7-0 'Nova 14:57 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Villanova 10 Lafayette 0 13:56 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 06:29 PM
17-7 Villanova at the half

'Nova may very well be a playoff team but Bednarczyk is a limited QB imo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 06:55 PM
TD Lafayette! Reed is playing really well to start the year....

17-14 'Nova about 8 minutes left in 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 07:13 PM
'Nova blocks a punt and scores 5 plays later...

Villanova 24 Lafayette 14 3:32 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Lafayette self destructing. Reed with a bad pick 6....

Villanova 31 Lafayette 14 2:10 3Q

CHIP72
September 24th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Hard (as always) to post from the game in Easton because of terrible cellular reception, I finally was able to get on here.

We'll see if Lafayette can regain momentum after the Villanova muffed point. The Wildcats are up 31-14 early in the 4th quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Reed with another terrible pick! Villanova returns it 100 yards for a TD but a block in the back brings it back...

CHIP72
September 24th, 2016, 07:44 PM
The story of this game will be that Villanova scored 2 defensive touchdowns, set up another with a blocked punt (probably the biggest play of the game in terms of turning momentum), and prevented a Lafayette TD with an INT in the end zone.

centraljerseycat
September 24th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Good game. Was impressed with Lafayette's facilities. Working sound system, scoreboard and videoboard all in one, no missing bulbs on the light stanchions and good concessions. I hope someone at 'Nova took notes.

CHIP72
September 24th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Good game. Was impressed with Lafayette's facilities. Working sound system, scoreboard and videoboard all in one, no missing bulbs on the light stanchions and good concessions. I hope someone at 'Nova took notes.

It really is remarkable how much better (at least IMO) Lafayette's, and for that matter Lehigh's, football facilities are than Villanova's, yet Villanova has a better program than both schools (and at this point a lot better than Lafayette's program). Everybody already knows this, but Andy Talley really has done a remarkable job on the Main Line when you look at what he has to work with and the low level of interest in college football, especially at all levels below FBS/Division I-A, in the Philadelphia area.

VUCats02
September 24th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Agree with Go Lehigh TU Owl...........This Nova team looks very talented. They will own the trenches on both sides of the ball against most teams this year. However, the QB play is not good enough for the team to get very far in the playoffs.

ngineer
September 24th, 2016, 11:04 PM
I thought LC should a lot of fight tonight. Typically football games come down to a handful of plays that are key in swinging momentum, field position or outright flipping the table with a sudden score. LC hasn't learned to make those key plays and teams like 'nova do. LC hung in there but broke down on a half dozen plays that swung the game. Not good enough to overcome their mistakes, yet, which is key because all teams make mistakes. You have to overcome them.