Wofford
Chattanooga
VMI

ElCid
September 18th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Power Ranking:

1) Chattanooga - Still king of the hill with road win
2) The Citadel - Keeps on finding ways to win
3) Samford - This week may tell all, pretender or contender?
4) Wofford - Who really knows yet for sure
5) Mercer - Got the OOC win...have they turned the corner?
6) ETSU - Guess they are better than many thought, but they get bonus points for winning in their SOCON debut with solid effort
7) VMI - Rested up after road win, hoping for another
8) WCU - Wow, all I can say is wow; they are obviously better than they showed this week, but good teams do not implode either
9) Furman - The purple headed step children, are, well, purple headed; nuf said

Predictions:

Furman @ Coastal Carolina - Furman just can't get it going - 27-20
ETSU @ Wofford - Clock strikes midnight for Bucs, but not bad - 31-17
Samford @ Chattanooga - SOCON game of the Week - Best O the Mocs have seen to date - 34-24
VMI @ Bucknell - Keydets have a break through - 31-24

sudog03
September 18th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Rankings -

1. Chattanooga - impressive start to the season
2. Citadel - 3 fourth quarter comebacks to start the season
3. Samford - Will see what this team is really about this week
4. Wofford - seem to have settled the QB position after the Jacks injury
5. Mercer - Lamb actually wins a close game
6. Furman - Not sure I've ever seen such a brutal start of a schedule @Mich.St., @Citadel, UTC, @Coastal.
7. ETSU - Big win in their return to the SoCon
8. WCU - Worst loss of the Spier era
9. VMI- close call against a poor Morehead St. team

OL FU
September 19th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Saturday, September 24

Furman at Coastal Carolina - Coastal by 7
ETSU at Wofford - Wofford by 17
Samford at Chattanooga - Chattanooga by 7
VMI at Bucknell - Keydets - no clue of the score

Catamount87
September 19th, 2016, 07:33 AM
8) WCU - Wow, all I can say is wow; they are obviously better than they showed this week, but good teams do not implode either

Implode is a good way to put it. The offense played well enough to win and well enough to beat anyone in the SoCon. The defense, an absolute collapse after we go up 21-3. Two personal foul calls and three pass interference calls led to 17 ETSU points. Those 2 PFs were on the same drive by the same player. That drive put ETSU ahead 24-21 and they never looked back. As for the PI calls, well the refs did seems to be calling that close both ways.

A side note, the refs pulled both the offensive and defensive lines for both teams to evidently have a chat about the defenses trying to bait the offenses on the snap counts.

tenNesseeCat
September 19th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Coastal Carolina
Wofford
Chattanooga
VMI

Power:
UTC
The Citadel
Samford
Wofford
ETSU
Mercer
Furman
VMI
WCU

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Implode is a good way to put it. The offense played well enough to win and well enough to beat anyone in the SoCon. The defense, an absolute collapse after we go up 21-3. Two personal foul calls and three pass interference calls led to 17 ETSU points. Those 2 PFs were on the same drive by the same player. That drive put ETSU ahead 24-21 and they never looked back. As for the PI calls, well the refs did seems to be calling that close both ways.

A side note, the refs pulled both the offensive and defensive lines for both teams to evidently have a chat about the defenses trying to bait the offenses on the snap counts.

If Furman's defense could play with WCU's offense, it'd be a pretty good football team.

Mocs123
September 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
If Furman's defense could play with WCU's offense, it'd be a pretty good football team.

Isn't that the truth. WCU is off this week, maybe you could work something out and take them to CCU. :)

eiu1999
September 19th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Furman at Coastal Carolina +14
ETSU at Wofford +7
Samford at Chattanooga +21
VMI at Bucknell +7

SU DOG
September 19th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I had fully expected, by now, to see the beloved poster chattownmocs, extolling the virtues of the Mocs, and how they will totally annihilate the hapless Samford Bulldogs this Saturday.
I'm not ready to predict yet, Mocs are definitely good, but I think we have a chance.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 19th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I have been incognito the past week. I was shocked when I heard about the ETSU win in Bristol. Here's where I have it after last Saturday.

1) The Citadel - Still undefeated with 2 SoCon wins
2) Chattanooga - Has not skipped a beat in conference play
3) Samford - Resting for next week's game against Chattanooga
4) ETSU - Now owns a three-game conference win streak (dating back to 2003) and a three-game overall win streak
5) Wofford - Blasted Johnson C. Smith
6) Mercer - Picks up win against Tennessee Tech at home
7) VMI - Resting up for Bucknell
8) Western Carolina - Fell apart in the second half
9) Furman - Had nothing to be ashamed of against Chattanooga

Predictions
East Tennessee State @ Wofford - Bucs' win streaks come to an end
Samford @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs hold on against determined Bulldogs
VMI @ Bucknell - Bison wins in a squeaker
Furman @ Coastal Carolina - Chanticleers rule the roost

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I had fully expected, by now, to see the beloved poster chattownmocs, extolling the virtues of the Mocs, and how they will totally annihilate the hapless Samford Bulldogs this Saturday.
I'm not ready to predict yet, Mocs are definitely good, but I think we have a chance.

Furman held UTC's much ballyhooed offense in check most of the night. 288 total yards for the Mocs. They had a couple downfield passes to pretty well covered receivers, but that was just about it.

Furman's defense was even out two starters (Conner Jackson and Jamari Miliken), and started two true freshmen (Jonah Tibbs at DT and Bryan Okeh at S)

Bennefield has a nice downfield throw and is a good athlete running the ball. I don't care what Moc fans say, though, he is not Jacob Huesman.

On defense, they are stout. Great defensive line and their linebacker Leslie is as good as they come. Moc fans are probably concerned that Reese Hannon entered the game in the 3rd quarter and went 14-20 for 174 yards. They couldn't find Thomas Gordon out there.

Furman's receivers could get free of UTC DBs, our coaching staff just doesn't seem to know that you can, in fact, call plays that don't require slow developing play fakes. Against a team like Samford, who has a lot of receivers and gets the ball out quick, that may be a problem for them.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Isn't that the truth. WCU is off this week, maybe you could work something out and take them to CCU. :)

I want to know how Jacksonville State had nearly 200 more yards of offense, 30 first downs, and only won the game against CCU by 1.

PaladinNation
September 19th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Furman held UTC's much ballyhooed offense in check most of the night. 288 total yards for the Mocs. They had a couple downfield passes to pretty well covered receivers, but that was just about it.

Furman's defense was even out two starters (Conner Jackson and Jamari Miliken), and started two true freshmen (Jonah Tibbs at DT and Bryan Okeh at S)

Bennefield has a nice downfield throw and is a good athlete running the ball. I don't care what Moc fans say, though, he is not Jacob Huesman.

On defense, they are stout. Great defensive line and their linebacker Leslie is as good as they come. Moc fans are probably concerned that Reese Hannon entered the game in the 3rd quarter and went 14-20 for 174 yards. They couldn't find Thomas Gordon out there.

Furman's receivers could get free of UTC DBs, our coaching staff just doesn't seem to know that you can, in fact, call plays that don't require slow developing play fakes. Against a team like Samford, who has a lot of receivers and gets the ball out quick, that may be a problem for them.

Talk about baptism by fire, Furman had two true freshmen tackles playing against the MOC defensive front.

SU DOG
September 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
No, Bennifield is not a Jacob Huesman. The very best stat to prove my comment: UTC is 2-18 in 3rd down conversions in the last 2 games. They were 0-9 against PC, and 2-9 against Furman(Shorter NA). xcoffeex That is not to say that Bennifield isn't a talented player, because he definitely is. Where they have the greatest edge on Samford is that they are not one dimensional like we appear to be. Also, our O-line, up to this point, just hasn't done what they will have to do for us to have a good year. Even our pass blocking hasn't been very good. Defensively, their power game could really hurt us, but I like our defense as we have great overall speed. I don't really think their DBs can stay with our WRs. This group would be a problem for about any FCS team. Question here is: Will Hodges have time to find them? One other slight advantage for Samford might be special teams. We have a great punter and some returners that can really fly.

One intangible that worries me is that the Mocs also have that WIN swagger that has been developed with success over time.

walliver
September 19th, 2016, 12:42 PM
1) UTC - undefeated and have finally beaten a decent team
2) The Citadel - Losing Mike Houston has hurt, but they are still winning
3) Samford - rested and ready to return
4) ETSU - I doubt they stay here long, but they are undefeated against D-I competition
5) Wofford - offense looked anemic last week, but defense gets better every week
6) Mercer - good win over TTU
7) WCU - I don;t know what to make of the schizoid kitties
8) VMI - no exciting wins yet
9) FU - no wins yet. They are likely much better than this, but they still have to win. They are already on the playoff bubble, and September isn't over yet.

This week:
FU at CCU - As much as I would love to see the Beach Chickens depart to the Sun Belt with as many losses as possible, the horsey people have not shown enough offense yet to keep up and fall on the Teal field 35-24
ETSU at Wofford - ETSU is no longer and automatic win. Terriers struggle early, but experience makes the difference down the strect in a 31-23 T-Dog win
Sammy at Chatty - Definitely the game of the week. Sammy scores a lot, but the Mockingbird Engineers score more. Chatty 42-31
VMI at Bucknell - I know nothing of the Buckies, so I'll pick the toy soldiers 21-13
The Citadel rallies late in the 4th to beat bye.
WCU may of may not show up against bye.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 12:53 PM
1) UTC - undefeated and have finally beaten a decent team
2) The Citadel - Losing Mike Houston has hurt, but they are still winning
3) Samford - rested and ready to return
4) ETSU - I doubt they stay here long, but they are undefeated against D-I competition
5) Wofford - offense looked anemic last week, but defense gets better every week
6) Mercer - good win over TTU
7) WCU - I don;t know what to make of the schizoid kitties
8) VMI - no exciting wins yet
9) FU - no wins yet. They are likely much better than this, but they still have to win. They are already on the playoff bubble, and September isn't over yet.

This week:
FU at CCU - As much as I would love to see the Beach Chickens depart to the Sun Belt with as many losses as possible, the horsey people have not shown enough offense yet to keep up and fall on the Teal field 35-24
ETSU at Wofford - ETSU is no longer and automatic win. Terriers struggle early, but experience makes the difference down the strect in a 31-23 T-Dog win
Sammy at Chatty - Definitely the game of the week. Sammy scores a lot, but the Mockingbird Engineers score more. Chatty 42-31
VMI at Bucknell - I know nothing of the Buckies, so I'll pick the toy soldiers 21-13

Withholding that Mercer vs. Bye pick until you get more info, I see. Good call. I'd wait until I knew who was on the Official's Roster before I made any pick of a Mercer game this season.

chattanoogamocs
September 19th, 2016, 02:02 PM
No, Bennifield is not a Jacob Huesman. The very best stat to prove my comment: UTC is 2-18 in 3rd down conversions in the last 2 games. They were 0-9 against PC, and 2-9 against Furman(Shorter NA). xcoffeex That is not to say that Bennifield isn't a talented player, because he definitely is.

So you're comparing the production of 4 year starter to a guy who has started 3 games?

I remember everyone on here after Huesman's 3rd start, they were all saying he only got play because his daddy was the coach and he should never be starting over Terrell Robinson.

No matter how good he is or isn't, every offense/line needs time to adjust to a new QB. Making a statement like this is kind of silly after only 3 games.

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 02:16 PM

The Catapurps.

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Withholding that Mercer vs. Bye pick until you get more info, I see. Good call. I'd wait until I knew who was on the Official's Roster before I made any pick of a Mercer game this season.

Not sure we can do it 4 weeks in a row.

I'll say Mercer gets flagged 8 times during its bye for unsportsmanlike conduct, specifically for whining about the refs.

xflaggedx

xlolx

kdinva
September 19th, 2016, 02:57 PM
.......I'll say Mercer gets flagged 8 times during its bye for unsportsmanlike conduct, specifically for whining about the refs.

xflaggedx

xlolx

OUCH.

SU DOG
September 19th, 2016, 03:01 PM
So you're comparing the production of 4 year starter to a guy who has started 3 games?

I remember everyone on here after Huesman's 3rd start, they were all saying he only got play because his daddy was the coach and he should never be starting over Terrell Robinson.

No matter how good he is or isn't, every offense/line needs time to adjust to a new QB. Making a statement like this is kind of silly after only 3 games.

I think you didn't get the meaning

SU DOG
September 19th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Sorry, tried to edit and failed, after accidentally posting early. One of your most infamous posters has bragged on this site that Bennifield is better than Jacob Huesman. My point is that, as of now, he isn't. Any QB would be hard pressed to be better, regardless of experience and adjustments. I think Bennifield is plenty good, but I also think that any team UTC faces is glad that Huesman is gone. And NO, pointing to those 3rd down stats is not silly when taken in the context of my statement.

BearDownMU
September 19th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Furple and Gold

BearDownMU
September 19th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Not sure we can do it 4 weeks in a row.

I'll say Mercer gets flagged 8 times during its bye for unsportsmanlike conduct, specifically for whining about the refs.

xflaggedx

xlolx

Totally possible. And (good for you) they'll be paying attention to us and y'all can hi-lo block total strangers in a Charleston Wal-Mart and it remain uncalled. lol

bobby.wilson.5667
September 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Sorry, tried to edit and failed, after accidentally posting early. One of your most infamous posters has bragged on this site that Bennifield is better than Jacob Huesman. My point is that, as of now, he isn't. Any QB would be hard pressed to be better, regardless of experience and adjustments. I think Bennifield is plenty good, but I also think that any team UTC faces is glad that Huesman is gone. And NO, pointing to those 3rd down stats is not silly when taken in the context of my statement.
I agree with you on the QB comparison, however it's still too early to evaluate Bennifield after just 3 games. He actually has more tools than Jacob H. He just lacks the experience and we'll just have to wait see how his leadership skills develope.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I agree with you on the QB comparison, however it's still too early to evaluate Bennifield after just 3 games. He actually has more tools than Jacob H. He just lacks the experience and we'll just have to wait see how his leadership skills develope.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Let me put it this way. UTC's offense is not as good as it was last year.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 03:53 PM

No, that's your fan base that was doing that. Or maybe just chattown, who I do not attribute to you.

Lot of chatter on here about how UTC isn't going to miss a step with Huseman gone. I'm just in the group that thinks you don't simply replace all time great players in a program with a next man up. If he was better than Huseman, he would have played over Huesman.

I was not in the Robinson camp. I said for two years that UTC would actually be a team to fear if they ever figured out that Huseman was their best QB and Robison should be left at receiver. They did defenses a favor trying to give both ample playing time.

moc n tn1991
September 19th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Bennefield is definitely different than Huesman. Bennefield is not the bruiser that Huesman was. But he has a much crisper throw than that of Huesman. This team has more of a big play capability. We can not grind it out like in the past, but Crane is still very strong. I am still very excited with what I see Bennefield doing, and what he can do as he matures as the leader.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Bennifield is not another huesman. He's a traditional pro-style qb with a vastly superior arm. The game the other night was 21-0 halfway through the 4th. It wasn't a close game at all. UTC was extremely conservative early and late but when they opened up the offense in the middle portion of the game Furman had no answer whatsoever. Furman didn't have many recievers open all night until to last 2 drives. What does that tell anyone who is familiar with the game of football?

Samford is a world of trouble, I have no idea why they would be on here talking ****. They are soft as charmin. How could you not see that you can't physically stand up to chattanooga. If chattanooga comes out agrressively offensively it will not be a 4 Qtr game. Just like this last game wasnt.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2016, 06:47 PM
No, that's your fan base that was doing that. Or maybe just chattown, who I do not attribute to you.

Lot of chatter on here about how UTC isn't going to miss a step with Huseman gone. I'm just in the group that thinks you don't simply replace all time great players in a program with a next man up. If he was better than Huseman, he would have played over Huesman.

I was not in the Robinson camp. I said for two years that UTC would actually be a team to fear if they ever figured out that Huseman was their best QB and Robison should be left at receiver. They did defenses a favor trying to give both ample playing time.

I never said that one time you punk bitch. You dissed huesman the whole time. " he's no ingle martin." Ingle martin sucks. Bennifield is better than ingle martin ever was. You don't get it, all it took to beat you was 14 passing attempts. If he needed to have a big game to beat you he would have. They knew they didn't need to put it on bennifield. You have a dumpster fire program. You can't beat chattanooga. Get real.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 07:12 PM
you punk bitch

Racist

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Furman at Coastal Carolina - 28-17 - as much as I would like to see the SoCon OOC FCS streak continue I think the BeachChicks take this one.
ETSU at Wofford - 38-28 - ETSU is much improved, but so is Wofford...pups by 10
Samford at Chattanooga - 31-17 - Mocs D is that good...I think they help the offensive effort this week.
VMI at Bucknell - 41-21 - VMI makes the SoCon look good.

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2016, 07:49 PM

I'm the guy that said UTC won't miss a beat with AB over Jacob. Jacob was almost too good, so the TEAM relied on him way too much. He was a special player, but I see the offense really stepping up to make the entire O a better UNIT vs last year. As much as it pains me to bring up the Knoxville Campus of UTC (that atleast makes me fell a little better) ....No One would argue Tee Martin was a better QB than Peyton, but Who is wearing the Ring? It took a good (but not great) player to rally the offense and win a National championship. I think AB can be that kind of guy this season. I also think he can have a better senior year than Jacob. He has got some great skills, and the season is setting up nicely for his confidence...easing into the position nicely....and he is 3-0.

moc n tn1991
September 19th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Coastal Carolina over Furman, 27 - 17
Wofford over ETSU, 35 - 22
Chattanooga over Samford, 35-21
VMI over Bucknell, 28-17

chattanoogamocs
September 19th, 2016, 08:10 PM
I go along with the Milltruck view of things...Huesman might be the better QB, but A.B. might end up directing the better TEAM.

It has been really nice seeing passes of more than 10 yards...I am sure Borishade and Board are loving it. I know Xavier is, he is leading the country in yard per reception.

It seems like the Mocs have a problem with 3rd down conversions (and offense in general) at the beginning of most seasons, then about the 3rd or 4th game, it all clicks together. 2 years ago, after two games they were 5/26 on 3rd down and then got it together, rolled over Austin Peay and then beat Samford at Finley 38-24.

Sounds good to me. ;)

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Huesman might be the better QB, but A.B. might end up directing the better TEAM..

In my best Data (from the Goonies) impersonation.....Dats watt I said, dats watt I said!!! You were a bit more concise, though.

chattanoogamocs
September 19th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I never said that one time you punk bitch.

Why do you have to be like that?

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 08:15 PM

Can't you guys keep your pets in line.

chattanoogamocs
September 19th, 2016, 08:17 PM

Not to get too political, but that would be the equivalent of telling Republicans to get Trump in line. ;)

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I'm the guy that said UTC won't miss a beat with AB over Jacob. Jacob was almost too good, so the TEAM relied on him way too much. He was a special player, but I see the offense really stepping up to make the entire O a better UNIT vs last year. As much as it pains me to bring up the Knoxville Campus of UTC (that atleast makes me fell a little better) ....No One would argue Tee Martin was a better QB than Peyton, but Who is wearing the Ring? It took a good (but not great) player to rally the offense and win a National championship. I think AB can be that kind of guy this season. I also think he can have a better senior year than Jacob. He has got some great skills, and the season is setting up nicely for his confidence...easing into the position nicely....and he is 3-0.

I don't disagree with you.

I liked what I saw out of Bennefield. He throws a great deep ball. The UTC offense looked less focused on the short and intermediate passing game than I remember. Lot of Craine, lot of speed sweeps with receivers, and then occasional haymakers downfield. That may explain a bit why UTC struggles on 3rd down conversions in that they don't seem to throw a lot of short routes.

The defense is going to allow you to play a bit more loose on offense. I don't see you set up for a lot of 10-12 play drives. I think that was more Huesman's game.

Mocs123
September 19th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Samford 28
Chattanooga 35 - Game of the Week - After a defensive slugfest, this game is a little more of an offensive shootout, but in the end, the Mocs D is the difference maker.

ETSU 17
Wofford 28 - ETSU is hot, but I think the triple option is too much for them and they come back to earth a little bit.
Furman 17
Coastal Carolina 21 - I hope Furman wins this, and I think their D is supurb, but I am not sure if they can generate enough points to come out with a win vs transitioning FBS Coastal Carolina, especially on the raod.
VMI 24 - Hopefully VMI is able to steal one from the Patriot League for the SoCon.
Bucknell 21

Rankings - Wow, where do I even start here…..I think the top three are starting to get settled (maybe not the order), but after that it is really anyone’s game. I think the top 3 can go to the playoffs if they can keep winning games they should win.
1.) Chattanooga - Gutted out a road win against a good defensive team in Furman.
2.) Samford - Had a week to prepare for their BIG showdown against Chattanooga
3.) The Citadel - Dropped them to #3 after a sloppy game against Gardner Webb, but you could make the argument that they should be 1 or 2 with 2 SoCon wins under their belt already.
4.) Wofford - dominated lesser competition
5.) Furman - TOUGH Schedule - The D is really solid, but the O is still a work in progress. How hot is Fowlers seat?
6.) Mercer - pulled out a OOC win against TTU
7.) ETSU - HUGE win for ETSU against a talented WCU team! Don’t look now but ETSU is 2-0 against 2 FCS scholarship teams that were preseason top half of their respective conferences.
8.) Western Carolina - I never saw this coming. This team is too talented to be #8 but I am not sure where else to put them.
9. VMI - VMI is a solid team and it says a lot of the SoCon that I have them ranked #9. I am not sure I remembered a time where I felt every team in the conference is as dangerous as I do now.

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I am not sure I remembered a time where I felt every team in the conference is as dangerous as I do now.

The parity is quite sickening. I like being 2-0 but with 6 to go (UTC, Samford, Wofford, WCU, VMI, and now even ETSU) all I can say is uhggg. Things might come into focus a little better the next 2 weeks.

CID1990
September 19th, 2016, 10:25 PM
My jury's still out on our team. I don't know what to think right now. The defense is stout at the right times, which is good, but we haven't seen a really good offense yet.

Furman and Mercer have decent defenses, but I saw us stopping ourselves as much as they did.

We sneaked up on a lot of teams last year. After all, we were picked what? 7th or 6th in the SoCon in the preseason? I know for a fact that Samford overlooked us, and to a lesser degree, so did WCU. Maybe these close games are a result of being taken more seriously, I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 11:21 PM
My jury's still out on our team. I don't know what to think right now. The defense is stout at the right times, which is good, but we haven't seen a really good offense yet.

Furman and Mercer have decent defenses, but I saw us stopping ourselves as much as they did.

We sneaked up on a lot of teams last year. After all, we were picked what? 7th or 6th in the SoCon in the preseason? I know for a fact that Samford overlooked us, and to a lesser degree, so did WCU. Maybe these close games are a result of being taken more seriously, I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is as good of an analysis as any. Our O is still in the wilderness. The QB "situation" did not help. That can account for some of the sluggishness regardless of what anyone says. I think the offensive line has a ways to go still until they gel like last year's crew did. It was almost like they were of one mind at times last year. I am also concerned about the cut blocking situation. We have been called a few times now (cue the care bears to chime how they lost due to it not being called the first week) and I don't think we have adjusted to the "new" rules. Not sure I really understand them myself but I am no technical guy. Our D has had moments of brilliance to be sure, but we have had a few gaffs as well, especially up the middle. Notably against Mercer and G-W. At least our special teams seem to be pretty good. Still worried about our transfer grad kicker. I can see us losing a game due to kicking, but maybe not. He at least has confidence and a pretty good leg. All three teams we played so far are good teams, including Furman. And we won 2 on the road. If we beat them with the issues we have, since we will only get better, I like our chances. Over the next 3 weeks, if we can pull it out against a fired up WCU and fine tune some with N Greenville, I think we can give Chatty a game. The one intangible that I really like, is that the boys really know how to win and they are not daunted by adversity. 2-3 years ago, I think we lose all three games we just won.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2016, 11:22 PM

Because he blatantly lied. That's why

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 11:57 PM
cut blocking..."new" rules. Not sure I really understand them myself but I am no technical guy.

Stop politicking for a job as a SoCon Football Official. You are clearly overqualified!

VictoryViking
September 20th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Watching the Furman/UTC game, Furman is highly underestimated in strength on defense this year. I like Furman's sheer determination. They could have and should have beat UTC. I like Samford as having the best opportunity to upset the Mocs of their remaining SoCon opponents. The Mocs are overrated this year in the polls, but I like the fact the SoCon is well represented. Thanks to the Mocs History, they have earned that ranking. They just are not as good as previous years, but they are solid and somehow find ways to win if the games is close. I dont think it will be that close this week, they will have to play from behind and muster more offense. It will be a good test.

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 01:05 AM
(cue the care bears to chime how they lost due to it not being called the first week)

Stop politicking for a job as a SoCon Football Official. You are clearly overqualified!

Thanks for not disappointing.xlolx

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2016, 01:21 AM
They could have and should have beat UTC.
They just are not as good as previous years, but they are solid and somehow find ways to win if the games is close.

I was on the sidelines for that game. We'll just have to disagree that Furman "could have and should have" beat UTC. Maybe I could be persuaded on the word "could," but the game I watched up close would not include the word "should."

Win close games? Now you've just lost me.

Chattanooga has been absolutely pathetically gawd awful in close game since Huesman has been head coach, that is the last thing a Moc fan ever wants to see.
Fortunately, they haven't had to play many close games in the last 3 years, particularly in SoCon play, so it kind of fixed (or at least masked) the problem.

20-3 in SoCon play the the last 3+ seasons...the three losses were by 3 points (at Mercer), 3 points (at Samford) and 2 points (at Georgia Southern).

If you take out Alabama, Tennessee and Florida State...every game the Mocs have lost in the previous 3 seasons have been close (less than a TD)...3 of them to JSU, 1 to New Hampshire.

Two rules for UTC:
1) Don't play in close games
2) Don't play in close games on the road

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2016, 04:45 AM

I completely ignore him. I suggest others do the same.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2016, 04:55 AM
I was on the sidelines for that game. We'll just have to disagree that Furman "could have and should have" beat UTC. Maybe I could be persuaded on the word "could," but the game I watched up close would not include the word "should."

Win close games? Now you've just lost me.

Chattanooga has been absolutely pathetically gawd awful in close game since Huesman has been head coach, that is the last thing a Moc fan ever wants to see.
Fortunately, they haven't had to play many close games in the last 3 years, particularly in SoCon play, so it kind of fixed (or at least masked) the problem.

20-3 in SoCon play the the last 3+ seasons...the three losses were by 3 points (at Mercer), 3 points (at Samford) and 2 points (at Georgia Southern).

If you take out Alabama, Tennessee and Florida State...every game the Mocs have lost in the previous 3 seasons have been close (less than a TD)...3 of them to JSU, 1 to New Hampshire.

Two rules for UTC:
1) Don't play in close games
2) Don't play in close games on the road

I wouldn't say Furman "should" have beaten UTC. I can get behind "could" have. If you had told me before the game Furman would hold the Mocs to 288 yards of offense, I'd have thought we'd have been right in the game.

I thought Furman played the game it needed to play. Kept pinning UTC deep and limiting what they could do on offense. Unfortunately, it wasn't until late in the game that we discovered what worked on offense and really started to move the ball.

Our offensive coordinator is in love with slow developing play action plays. Has been for years. That played right into UTC's hands and into the strength of their team. Down a couple of scores, and with Hannon in the game, we had to go to an up tempo passing game and, horror of horrors, started to move the football and score touchdowns.

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Furman had no opportunity to win the game. They could barely get a first down until chattanooga went to a conservative defense with a 3 td lead in the 4th qtr.

PaladinNation
September 20th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Furple and Gold

Be careful what you wish for… if Furman chooses to move on from CBF, I hope Mark Speir is on the list.

Mocs123
September 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Furmans defense is good and they did hold our offense in check.

I have said before I fear Samford because I think our weakness is on defense is the quick passing game, which Samford does very well.

I am not sure if we were intentionally soft D in the 4th qtr but after holding Furman to next to nothing for 3qtrs they exploded in the 4th.

In the end the game was a defensive battle and that was what I expected.

Furman is a better team than most think. Their schedule has killed them and their offense doesn't do justice to those fantastic defense and special teams.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Furmans defense is good and they did hold our offense in check.

I have said before I fear Samford because I think our weakness is on defense is the quick passing game, which Samford does very well.

I am not sure if we were intentionally soft D in the 4th qtr but after holding Furman to next to nothing for 3qtrs they exploded in the 4th.

In the end the game was a defensive battle and that was what I expected.

Furman is a better team than most think. Their schedule has killed them and their offense doesn't do justice to those fantastic defense and special teams.

From my seat? Furman was down three touchdowns and had to start throwing it and moving the ball quickly. Invariably our OC will forget that stuff worked this Saturday, and go back to action faking to every player in the backfield.

I think that's where UTC has worry about Samford. Mocs have a superb defensive front four, but a team like Samford is going to neutralize that by getting rid of the ball.

Catamount87
September 20th, 2016, 08:52 AM

We sneaked up on a lot of teams last year. After all, we were picked what? 7th or 6th in the SoCon in the preseason? I know for a fact that Samford overlooked us, and to a lesser degree, so did WCU. Maybe these close games are a result of being taken more seriously, I don't know. k

We definitely didn't overlook y'all last year. We knew playing y'all early in the season was a pivotal game. We didn't execute all that well nor did we make good adjustments. Y'all played brilliantly on defense and your offensive playcalling mixed it up at the right times. (The few passes were at perfect times and really did a great deal to swing momentum or keep drives alive.) We got outplayed a bit but that was fairly even. Y'all flat out, outcoached us from game plan to in-game strategy and adjustments. It was a well earned win by everyone on The Citadel sideline.

Catamount87
September 20th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Power Ranking
1. (Tie) Chattanooga, The Citadel - UTC hasn't been overly impressive and the Dogs continue to find ways to win
3. Samford - Oh so close but that only counts in horseshoes and hand granades
4. Wofford - 2016's silent killer in the SoCon?
5. ETSU - Huges strides made in the offseason = good coaching and motivated players
8. (Tie) Mercer - Can't seem to win the close ones
VMI - Good offense, questionable defense
WCU - Great offense, psychofrenic defense
9. Furman - Winless lands you here. A very good defense and lackluster offense.

Predictions - its a home team sweep
Furman @ Coastal - Coastal pulls away in the end
ETSU @ Wofford - Dogs run tough
Samford @ Chattanooga - Mocs play just a bit better on both sides of the ball and win another close one
VMI @ Bucknell - Battle of the beatens goes to the home team

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 09:59 AM
SOCON Preview on the Wedge.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-4-preview/

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Power Ranking
1. (Tie) Chattanooga, The Citadel - UTC hasn't been overly impressive and the Dogs continue to find ways to win
3. Samford - Oh so close but that only counts in horseshoes and hand granades
4. Wofford - 2016's silent killer in the SoCon?
5. ETSU - Huges strides made in the offseason = good coaching and motivated players
6. (Tie) Mercer - Can't seem to win the close ones - Mercer is 3-1 in their 4 most recent "close ones" (Chatt '15 - W+3, FU '15 - W(OT)+7, El Cid '16 - L-1, TTU '16 - W+7)...just sayin'
VMI - Good offense, questionable defense
WCU - Great offense, psychofrenic defense
9. Furman - Winless lands you here. A very good defense and lackluster offense.

Predictions - its a home team sweep
Furman @ Coastal - Coastal pulls away in the end
ETSU @ Wofford - Dogs run tough
Samford @ Chattanooga - Mocs play just a bit better on both sides of the ball and win another close one
VMI @ Bucknell - Battle of the beatens goes to the home team

1 edit & 1 piece of revised info for your consideration (see above)

SU DOG
September 20th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Lots of good intelligent discussion on this thread with just a few exceptions. Admittedly, if I had no connection to either UTC or Samford, I would pick the Mocs based on the available info. That is not the case, however, and I have to be a homer. Frankly, I can see us winning OR I can see us getting blown out. The bookies have us as a double digit underdog(11points). I would say that I CAN'T wait for Saturday, but at my age, thankful for every day that I am vertical - I CAN. xlolx

ETSU @ Wofford - Terriers by 18 points.
Furman @ Coastal - Teal Chickens by 6 points(Hope to be wrong).
VMI @ Bucknell - Keydets by 7 points.
SAMFORD @ UTC - SAMFORD by 10 points. xthumbsupx

Catamount87
September 20th, 2016, 02:08 PM
1 edit & 1 piece of revised info for your consideration (see above)

We can twist the stats a lot of different ways. Yes, Mercer is 3-1 in the last 4 decided by 7 or less (using that as a close game definition.) They are also 3-3 in the last 6, 3-6 in the last nine and 5-9 in the last 14. So, over time a pattern has emerged here, they aren't closing out the close games. Yes, they have 3 out of the last 4 but will that trend hold? We'll just have to see how the season progresses.

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2016, 03:01 PM
We can twist the stats a lot of different ways. Yes, Mercer is 3-1 in the last 4 decided by 7 or less (using that as a close game definition.) They are also 3-3 in the last 6, 3-6 in the last nine and 5-9 in the last 14. So, over time a pattern has emerged here, they aren't closing out the close games. Yes, they have 3 out of the last 4 but will that trend hold? We'll just have to see how the season progresses.

Is it just me, or did Catamount87 just disprove his own argument?

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2016, 03:01 PM

Oooohhhh, I like math and trends and such...Using your definition of a close game < or = 7 point differential, Mercer has played 14 close games since playing their 1st SoCon game, as you noted. If you assign a random, but equivalent + and - point value to those wins and losses; you derive the following data points and; the part that is relevant to this discussion...a Trend Line. Based on that trend line, it is (presently) inaccurate to state/project that "Mercer can't seem to win the close ones." It's math.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23576&stc=1

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Ok, it wasn't just me.

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Oooohhhh, I like math and trends and such...Using your definition of a close game < or = 7 point differential, Mercer has played 14 close games since playing their 1st SoCon game, as you noted. If you assign a random, but equivalent + and - point value to those wins and losses; you derive the following data points and; the part that is relevant to this discussion...a Trend Line. Based on that trend line, it is (presently) inaccurate to state/project that "Mercer can't seem to win the close ones." It's math.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23576&stc=1

Me thinks someone has too much time on their hands.

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2016, 03:37 PM

What?

Isn't that the primary reason Excel has multiple worksheets in a workbook? So, I can simultaneously calculate football trendlines AND the profitability of a $1/2 million proposal I just submitted to a Client. If not, then I'm doing it wrong. :)

BearDownMU
September 20th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Says the guy with 2,014 AGS posts to his name... xrotatehx

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2016, 05:28 PM
3-2 last week - Not good - pirates commandeered my pick of the kitty litter and the soft leather shoes stepped on me
13-7 - still batting .650 - meh

Furman at Coastal Carolina - Paladins put together a shining day on offense and exile the beach poultry down to the sludge belt with a neck-wringin' - 'Dins 34 - Teal Turkey Wannabe's 17

ETSU at Wofford - Wofford plays highly disciplined football; not sure the LandPirates have faced that yet - won't allow mountain-dwelling sea marauders to get underway - RatDogs rout 'em 31-3

Samford at Chattanooga - Wish I had seen more of either of these 5-0 combined record Teams' games against their worthy opponents (All 2 of them) - In a blind guess, Chatt 48 - Sammy 28

VMI at Bucknell - Keydets join Furman and sends the SoCon's 2016 undefeated record vs. OOC Non-FBS Opponents to 13-0 & 10-0 vs. OOC FCS - Kangaroos 27 - LesserBison 24

Power rankings
1. Chattanooga - moving them back over El Cid with their strong showing against a very good Furman Team

2, The Citadel - winning...barely, even vs. Big South middle-of-the-pack Team...gotta roll 'em back to #2 for that. If they struggle vs. bye this week & have to come back in the 4th quarter AGAIN, they will fall further

3, Samford - will leave them here, for now - move up to #1 if they upset Chatt; way down, if not. Just can't rush for -25 yards against anyone and stay high on my list; for long

4. Mercer - will have 0 penalties called and 0 phantom fumble returns for TD's against them this week, so they can stay in the SoCon's 4th Playoff spot...this week

5. Furman - probably better than 5th, but hard to rank them higher at 0-3. Will move up after win in Conway

6. Wofford - good football team, I think - competition has varied too widely to get a true reading - seem to have some strange team chemistry 'stuff' going on; not sure how that will play out

7. VMI - Better than they played vs. MoreHead State

8. ETSU - So much better than last year. Sledding gets tougher - Bucs will lose their next 4, but will be competitive in those games

9. Western Carolina - Really dynamic young QB, Excellent RB, Physically Talented WR's - All else is a mess right now. Thought they would rebound after EZU loss and they did vs. G-W; 2nd half vs. ETSU going to be tough to put behind them.

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Says the guy with 2,014 AGS posts to his name... xrotatehx

Hey don't hassle me I'm retired.

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 07:09 PM
What?

Isn't that the primary reason Excel has multiple worksheets in a workbook? So, I can simultaneously calculate football trendlines AND the profitability of a $1/2 million proposal I just submitted to a Client. If not, then I'm doing it wrong. :)

xlolx

I love excel and it sounds a bit geeky but I used to just experiment to see what I could do with it. I would do it at work as well. I didn't feel bad because I still got all the work done perfectly and way above expectations.

ElCid
September 20th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Power Ranking:

1) Chattanooga - Still king of the hill with road win
2) The Citadel - Keeps on finding ways to win
3) Samford - This week may tell all, pretender or contender?
4) Wofford - Who really knows yet for sure
5) Mercer - Got the OOC win...have they turned the corner?
6) ETSU - Guess they are better than many thought, but they get bonus points for winning in their SOCON debut with solid effort
7) VMI - Rested up after road win, hoping for another
9) Furman - The purple headed step children, are, well, purple headed; nuf said

Predictions:

Furman @ Coastal Carolina - Furman just can't get it going - 27-20
ETSU @ Wofford - Clock strikes midnight for Bucs, but not bad - 31-17
Samford @ Chattanooga - SOCON game of the Week - Best O the Mocs have seen to date - 34-24
VMI @ Bucknell - Keydets have a break through - 31-24

I think I was a bit hasty in my Furman Coastal game outlook. I actually think Furman can pull it off. Just got a hunch. I will flip the scores. Furman 27 CCU 20.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I think I was a bit hasty in my Furman Coastal game outlook. I actually think Furman can pull it off. Just got a hunch. I will flip the scores. Furman 27 CCU 20.

I don't get good feelings about games anymore, but I have do have a good feeling about this one.

Smitty
September 21st, 2016, 09:27 AM
I don't get good feelings about games anymore, but I have do have a good feeling about this one.

It is probably gas...

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2016, 02:34 PM
Coastal Carolina is starting to look like Furman's 2013 team. Chants are down two quarterbacks against Furman, and are starting their holder.

In something I've never seen before, Coastal is going to dress one of their football interns at backup QB http://www.grandstrandsportsreport.com/ccu-baseballs-chadwick-taking-swing-at-backup-qb/

BearDownMU
September 21st, 2016, 02:37 PM
Coastal Carolina is starting to look like Furman's 2013 team. Chants are down two quarterbacks against Furman, and are starting their holder.

In something I've never seen before, Coastal is going to dress one of their football interns at backup QB http://www.grandstrandsportsreport.com/ccu-baseballs-chadwick-taking-swing-at-backup-qb/

This is a movie starring Dennis Quaid waiting to happen.

walliver
September 21st, 2016, 02:48 PM

You'll still need to score at least once to beat them.:D

It looks like CCU will leave FCS with the same fanfare as ASU and GSU.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2016, 03:54 PM
You'll still need to score at least once to beat them.:D

It looks like CCU will leave FCS with the same fanfare as ASU and GSU.

As luck may have it, the only team our offense shows up against is Coastal. Maybe our defense will take one in and help us out.

In what may be one of the more inexplicable things in sports history, Furman has actually put up an average of 32 ppg against CCU the last 5 years. Which is bizarre largely because they've been quite good and we've been quite bad.

Schism55
September 21st, 2016, 04:00 PM
Gooooo Furman!!
Please spank that ass!
FCS thanks you

OL FU
September 21st, 2016, 07:19 PM
As luck may have it, the only team our offense shows up against is Coastal. Maybe our defense will take one in and help us out.

In what may be one of the more inexplicable things in sports history, Furman has actually put up an average of 32 ppg against CCU the last 5 years. Which is bizarre largely because they've been quite good and we've been quite bad.

I am not a fan of the historical results of this series. Hoping it ends well

Toby
September 21st, 2016, 08:15 PM
Just curious, but why does the OVC get 14 votes in the FCS poll and the SoCon only 8?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

woffordgrad94
September 22nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Mercer
6. Furman
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMI

These rankings are based on order of predicted finish, not current state of things.

Wofford 31, ETSU 14
Chattanooga 35, Samford 31
Coastal Carolina 17, Furman 10
Bucknell 45, VMI 42

MR. CHICKEN
September 23rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
COASTAL CAROLINA
CHATTANOOGA
WOFFORD
BUCKNELL

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Furman @ Coastal Carolina- Furman has a good defense and if they can keep QB upright they can keep this game close and maybe win. CCU-24 Furman-21.
ETSU @ Wofford- Terriers looked to have improved from last year. Bucs have been a big surprise, but Wofford will be a bit much for them. Wofford-28 ETSU-17
Samford @ Chattanooga- Samford will score points, but will it be enough ? Should be close game. Chattanooga-35 Samford-28.
VMI @ Bucknell- Bucknell doesn't look to be that bad. Can VMI win on the road. Toss up game- VMI-27 Bucknell-24

Chattanooga
The Citadel
Samford
Wofford
Mercer
Furman
ETSU
Western Car.
VMI

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
Just curious, but why does the OVC get 14 votes in the FCS poll and the SoCon only 8?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

There is no limit to how many people sign up (these are sports writers and SIDs). The OVC just appears to have more people interesting in filling out a poll.

In case anyone is wondering...

Jay Blackman -- Senior Associate AD - Communications & Innovation - Chattanooga
Kevin Brown -- Assistant Director for Media Relations/Sports Information - East Tennessee State
Daniel Hooker -- Assistant AD for Media Relations - Western Carolina
Joey Mullins -- Assistant AD Communications - Samford
Robbie Ross -- writer Southern Pigskin (Furman Sports Network 1997 - 2014)
Derek Satterfield -- Assistant AD for Media Relations - The Citadel
Todd Shanesy -- writer Spartanburg Herald-Journal
Brent Williamson -- Associate AD for Media Relations - Wofford

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
There is no limit to how many people sign up (these are sports writers and SIDs). The OVC just appears to have more people interesting in filling out a poll.

In case anyone is wondering...

Jay Blackman -- Senior Associate AD - Communications & Innovation - Chattanooga
Kevin Brown -- Assistant Director for Media Relations/Sports Information - East Tennessee State
Daniel Hooker -- Assistant AD for Media Relations - Western Carolina
Joey Mullins -- Assistant AD Communications - Samford
Robbie Ross -- writer Southern Pigskin (Furman Sports Network 1997 - 2014)
Derek Satterfield -- Assistant AD for Media Relations - The Citadel
Todd Shanesy -- writer Spartanburg Herald-Journal
Brent Williamson -- Associate AD for Media Relations - Wofford

My application was rejected this year... Again....

gofurman
September 23rd, 2016, 10:20 PM
I never said that one time you punk bitch. You dissed huesman the whole time. " he's no ingle martin." Ingle martin sucks. Bennifield is better than ingle martin ever was. You don't get it, all it took to beat you was 14 passing attempts. If he needed to have a big game to beat you he would have. They knew they didn't need to put it on bennifield. You have a dumpster fire program. You can't beat chattanooga. Get real.

Now this is an IDIOTIC statement. Just stupid. Three games in you are confident that an FCS QB is better than a guy who STARTED at QB for Florida... Was recruited to play for several schools in the SEC based just on speed and athleticism. As a superb QB for Furman set numerous records in just two years ( vs others having four years). As a freak QB won All-Socon punter too (he could have named his position) ... and led Furman to the national semifinals and playoffs ... Beating App State in regular season etc. Then went to the NFL but had the bad luck to be on the Packers ... Thus behind Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers.

Is Huesman even in the NFL. Will Bennifuekd get drafted?

Your Very own statement proves itself illogical - if Furman is such a "dumpster fire program" as you say.. why did you escape 21-14 with the almighty Bennifield etc. Either we aren't a dumpster fire... Or Chattanooga isn't that great. Great teams could beat dumpster fire programs 40-0.

Hasnt chattanooga been to the playoffs THREE times in history? Didn't Furman have a run of 15 consecutive victories vs Chattanoiga (answer: yes). Man, chill. Yall are very good but you aren't NDSU or anything. Be proud but maybe not quite so annoyingly loud.

chattownmocs
September 24th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Chattanooga completely toyed with furman. Very conservative early but as soon as chattanooga went deep one time furman no longer had an answer for anything chattanooga was doing. Chattanooga threw the ball down the field deep 3 times and hit all 3. All of furman points and the vast majority of furmans yards came late in the 4th when it was 21-0 against soft ultra conservative coverage.

As far as ingle martin goes, he failed at Florida, and did you just bring up punting? Bennifield is better than him and it will show. I don't know why anyone would bring up huesman but if you need a comparison you can open up the southern conference record book. BTW, did furman even attempt to recruit ingle Martin's highly regarded qb from cpa? That should tell you a lot about that dumpster fire. Your record under this loser coach should have already told you. Dumpster fire it is.

Your program is so terrible that you are bragging about a winning streakk that has been over for years against a program that currently has a winning streak against you with no realistic end in sight.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Now this is an IDIOTIC statement. Just stupid. Three games in you are confident that an FCS QB is better than a guy who STARTED at QB for Florida... Was recruited to play for several schools in the SEC based just on speed and athleticism. As a superb QB for Furman set numerous records in just two years ( vs others having four years). As a freak QB won All-Socon punter too (he could have named his position) ... and led Furman to the national semifinals and playoffs ... Beating App State in regular season etc. Then went to the NFL but had the bad luck to be on the Packers ... Thus behind Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers.

Is Huesman even in the NFL. Will Bennifuekd get drafted?

Your Very own statement proves itself illogical - if Furman is such a "dumpster fire program" as you say.. why did you escape 21-14 with the almighty Bennifield etc. Either we aren't a dumpster fire... Or Chattanooga isn't that great. Great teams could beat dumpster fire programs 40-0.

Hasnt chattanooga been to the playoffs THREE times in history? Didn't Furman have a run of 15 consecutive victories vs Chattanoiga (answer: yes). Man, chill. Yall are very good but you aren't NDSU or anything. Be proud but maybe not quite so annoyingly loud.

I suggest taking my approach and just stop responding to him.

He's a fool insistent on making inflammatory comments without basis in reality or fact. No rational sports fan would put Bennefield in the conversation with Martin. No rational person would watch the UTC/Furman game, where UTC put up virtually identical numbers to Furman, and say that it was a completely one-sided affair. All of that is nonsense. Treat it as such.

There is the old quote attributed to Mark Twain that encourages folks not to argue with stupid people, as they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. You cannot rationalize with those that are inherently irrational.

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2016, 02:46 PM
At halftime, Mocs Lead 21-7. Benefield is having his Breakout Game..... 14-20 for 206, 2 TDs 1 Int, 7 rushes for 37 yards and a TD..... And the Defense is playing pretty well too....the 4 man rush has Hodges on his heels trying to find a hole in the 7 defenders....It isn't there!!!!

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2016, 05:02 PM
VMI goes into a 2nd OT at Bucknell after neither team is able to score any points in OT1.

17-17

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Neither team scores in 2OT, now going to a 3rd OT.

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2016, 05:06 PM
1st OT
Bucknell turns it over on downs
VMI has its field goal blocked

2nd OT
VMI misses field goal
Bucknell throws an interception

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2016, 05:12 PM
1st OT
Bucknell turns it over on down
VMI has it's field goal blocked

2nd OT
VMI misses field goal
Bucknell throws an interception

VMI wins 23-17!

Keep the SoCon perfect in FCS OOC.

Now it's Furman's turn, go pluck the beach chickens!

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Furman at Coastal Carolina - Paladins put together a shining day on offense and exile the beach poultry down to the sludge belt with a neck-wringin' - 'Dins 34 - Teal Turkey Wannabe's 17

ETSU at Wofford - Wofford plays highly disciplined football; not sure the LandPirates have faced that yet - won't allow mountain-dwelling sea marauders to get underway - RatDogs rout 'em 31-3

Samford at Chattanooga - Wish I had seen more of either of these 5-0 combined record Teams' games against their worthy opponents (All 2 of them) - In a blind guess, Chatt 48 - Sammy 28

VMI at Bucknell - Keydets join Furman and sends the SoCon's 2016 undefeated record vs. OOC Non-FBS Opponents to 13-0 & 10-0 vs. OOC FCS - Kangaroos 27 - LesserBison 24

Great job Keydets; Come on my Paladins - make me, this week, like the SoCon in OOC games - PERFECT / UNDEFEATED!

Feelin' fairly prescient with the 3 game score projections so far...up to the 'Dins Offense to get going & make me look really good this week! <F>