View Full Version : SDSU vs Cal Poly

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Anyone else watching this?

17-17 atm.

Cal Poly looks weird with no gold in their uniform.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I'm watching UNI EWU. Where are you seeing the SDSU Poly game? What channel?

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I'm watching UNI EWU. Where are you seeing the SDSU Poly game? What channel?

Espn3.

I believe all MVFC games are on ESPN3 (that is games hosted at MVFC teams stadium).

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2876286/

The game is also on Midco Sports Network 2. But my midco login account only has one Midco SN so idk where to find Midco SN2.

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Watching the SDSU-CP game on Midco. Where can a guy get the UNI- EWU?

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Jacks had some issues with the option the first half.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:10 PM
http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/9/17/11-northern-iowa-at-7-eastern-washington

EWU UNI game. Bigsky football games are streamed free and legally.

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:15 PM
http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2016/9/17/11-northern-iowa-at-7-eastern-washington

EWU UNI game. Bigsky football games are streamed free and legally.

Thanks!

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:19 PM
SDSU's stadium looks really simple, but really nice. Its obvious (on tv) they built it to be an expanded FBS stadium. Good planning.

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:21 PM
SDSU getting blowed off the LOS on D. They've given up 250 yards rushing already. Not going to be good for the Jacks if that keeps up.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:22 PM
SDSU getting blowed off the LOS on D. They've given up 250 yards rushing already. Not going to be good for the Jacks if that keeps up.

cal poly is a legit option team... I don't think that rushing stats vs CP will translate into a bad season in the MVFC.

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:24 PM
cal poly is a legit option team... I don't think that rushing stats vs CP will translate into a bad season in the MVFC.

No I was just talking about this game.

And I agree CP is a tough option team to stop.

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I am impressed with CP's option game. They get 5 or more consistently on the dive. Jacks are in trouble!

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
And then they burn them with the pass! TD, Poly 24 jacks 17!

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Lol and then they beat you with a passing TD!

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:27 PM
TD CP. 24-17

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM
TD SDSU 23-24 (XP pending)

That was a thing of beauty

- - - Updated - - -

XP good, tie game 24 all.

semobison
Jacks strike back, one play, 48 yards, all tied again!

Bisonator
Yeah I hope we don't try that 3 man front against SDSU.xcoolx

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Not so fast...TD Poly! Damn!

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM
TD cal poly

TheKingpin28
This game is turning into a shootout

Bisonator
JFC what is it with BSC teams and shootouts!

Twentysix
Yeah I hope we don't try that 3 man front against SDSU.xcoolx

Honestly they may be the team to beat us. Their air attack is legit.

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:37 PM

Their D is very suspect.

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Or, they may be week up front defensively! Getting beat up the middle.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Or, they may be week up front defensively! Getting beat up the middle.

Maybe. Can't wait to see them play some MVFC teams.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:44 PM
SDSU with another one through the air.

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:44 PM
TD Jacks! Tie game.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I hate these unbalanced helmets with numbers on them. UND's looks horrible and so does SDSU's.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:46 PM
SDSU is going to get a stop this drive and will win the game off it.

As Alpha says #bookit

SUUTbird
September 17th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Cal Poly is going to drive the length of the field and put it in the end zone

semobison
September 17th, 2016, 08:49 PM
First team to get a Stop wins?

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 08:56 PM
​TD Poly

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Damnit Alpha #boookit didn't work.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 09:01 PM
gg wp thats game.

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 09:02 PM
TC is intercepted. That could be the dagger.

- - - Updated - - -

First team to get a Stop wins?

Looks like it'll be CP.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2016, 09:06 PM
wow, their DLine has like no push. CP hit the line right there and didn't advance at all and that gained them a yard.

mmiller_34
September 17th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Cal Poly is good. I think the Jacks are okay - but we're certainly not top ten right now.

the defense could not figure out the option.

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Love to see another triple option team win!

Thumper 76
September 17th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Cal Poly is good. I think the Jacks are okay - but we're certainly not top ten right now.

the defense could not figure out the option.

I think we're garbage after that embarrassing defensive performance. Actually I said that wrong. That would imply we played defense.

cpalum
September 17th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Good win for CP....xthumbsupx...might have to break open another bottle of IPA to celebrate

mmiller_34
September 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM
I think we're garbage after that embarrassing defensive performance. Actually I said that wrong. That would imply we played defense.

The D had no idea what was going on.

fencer24
September 17th, 2016, 09:33 PM
That offense is tough. Only thing that can stop it is the ambulance hauling all of its victims off.

Thumper 76
September 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM
That offense is tough. Only thing that can stop it is the ambulance hauling all of its victims off.

Or not having your d tackles getting blown back on every snap. Getting some interior push is a thing supposedly. At least I've heard rumors about it.

dudeitsaid
September 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Hell of a win, 'Stangs!

CappinHard
September 17th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Or not having your d tackles getting blown back on every snap. Getting some interior push is a thing supposedly. At least I've heard rumors about it.

I've also heard of some different defensive schemes to try to disrupt the option rather than letting it happen and waiting for them to come down hill at you. Apparently our defensive coaches haven't though. I understand that the triple option is hard to stop, but if it was this dominant, Cal Poly would have 5 straight ships, not NDSU, and every team would be adopting the triple option. If you play it like we did, you give yourself no chance. Completely inexcusable from a coaching standpoint.

TheKingpin28
September 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM
I've also heard of some different defensive schemes to try to disrupt the option rather than letting it happen and waiting for them to come down hill at you. Apparently our defensive coaches haven't though. I understand that the triple option is hard to stop, but if it was this dominant, Cal Poly would have 5 straight ships, not NDSU, and every team would be adopting the triple option. If you play it like we did, you give yourself no chance. Completely inexcusable from a coaching standpoint.

I expect some backlash for this, but when will SDSU realize that Stieg might not the answer anymore and that 1 of 2 things has to happen. Either he brings tenacity back to SDSU football or is forced to move over for someone who will. I know he is revered by a good amount of JACK ATTACK fans, but something has to give, and it does not seem like he is getting it done when it counts like he could back in 07-09. While I realize that was not the "best record" years, they had ferocity that was shown on the gridiron. While 12-15 were good record years, they just did not have that "X" factor that was needed to win the big games. It's unfortunate but complacency can only work for so long. I get that Stieg has been there for 2 decades, but there needs to be a sense of ferocity and I did not see that urgency that I have seen from them before in a game where a 1-2 and 2-1 make a huge difference early in the season.

CappinHard
September 18th, 2016, 12:04 AM
I expect some backlash for this, but when will SDSU realize that Stieg might not the answer anymore and that 1 of 2 things has to happen. Either he brings tenacity back to SDSU football or is forced to move over for someone who will. I know he is revered by a good amount of JACK ATTACK fans, but something has to give, and it does not seem like he is getting it done when it counts like he could back in 07-09. While I realize that was not the "best record" years, they had ferocity that was shown on the gridiron. While 12-15 were good record years, they just did not have that "X" factor that was needed to win the big games. It's unfortunate but complacency can only work for so long. I get that Stieg has been there for 2 decades, but there needs to be a sense of ferocity and I did not see that urgency that I have seen from them before in a game where a 1-2 and 2-1 make a huge difference early in the season.

I'm definitely not a stig apologist like many are. I am not ready to get out the pitchforks yet, but by the end of this season, we'll see. There have been some encouraging changes, especially with the offense seeming to be more aggressive and change things up a bit. But I completely agree with you on SDSU not having that X factor. They don't have that killer instinct at all. Honestly, for the most part that's who Stig recruits. He gets guys that are good athletes and many times even better people in general, but they never seem to have any "mean" players, or players with some attitude. I am definitely tired of talking about what SDSU could do different, and hearing the reply "yeah, but stig would never do that". It gets to a point where he's getting in the way of the program taking that next step. This is all being said while realizing that this era of SDSU football is one of if not the most successful ever, but something needs to change before we get over the hump. Exhibit 1a: Not being able to beat NDSU, most of the time not even compete with them. He's a super nice guy, but there's a saying about nice guys that can definitely be true at times.

Schism55
September 18th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I watched a good chunk of this game.
Congrats to CP on a gutsy road win!
As has already been said, Jacks D line got ragdolled and seemed to have no clue what to do.
Weineke is still a stud hah

POD Knows
September 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Congrats to CP, glad you beat SDSU on their new rug.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Did the SDSU defensive coaches try to reinvent the wheel defensively like the Bison tried to do against EWU?

IMO, play base defense and take it to them.

Thumper 76
September 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Did the SDSU defensive coaches try to reinvent the wheel defensively like the Bison tried to do against EWU?

IMO, play base defense and take it to them.

It didn't look like our normal base defense out there.

coover
September 18th, 2016, 06:37 PM
The major problem going against Cal Poly is that the Triple Option is rarely seen. In fact, the SDSU Coach said during the week prior to the game that Poly would be the only team the Jacks will face using that offense, and that it was so different from the typical offenses they see from game to game, teaching the defensive scheme in a week is almost impossible. Mistakes are bound to be made, and Cal Poly has the talent this year to benefit from those mistakes.

Those of us that follow Cal Poly closely each year are aware of the reasons that they have had a some very bad (for Cal Poly) seasons recently is not because of offense, mostly from defense, injuries, and from other issues that affected the team's talent and moral. Some of you are aware of the last, and I won't get into that. But Poly, this year, has fixed most of those problems. Our defensive backfield, while it still has certain problems, has much better talent this year. The defensive line and linebackers are very, very talented, the offensive line will match anybodies, and our backfield is full, yes, full of All-American and All-Conference candidates. And our QB has a great arm.

This is the Cal Poly offense of the last several years, but with a much better defense. We will win a lot of games this year and, depending on injuries, will probably be a strong playoff candidate, perhaps a top 10 candidate. Of course, a lot of that has to do with our future games with Montana (who with a bye last week will play in San Luis Obispo next Saturday) and later with Eastern Washington, who will also play in San Luis Obispo. Luckily, we will not have to play the Big Sky preseason favorite, Northern Arizona, this year.

kalm
September 18th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Good defensive performance. Poly might be for real.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Cal Poly triple O offense has the personnel this season to be very dominant. The key is having an O line that gets yardage. Vs. Jacks, their line was getting a consistent 2-3 yards, then the runners would add. But they also have a QB that can throw great passes. That bodes well for the 'Stangs.

Love that we have kept this former Great West conference mate on the schedule. Hate to take the loss, but these are two evenly matched teams.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2016, 07:27 PM
What changed in CPU's offense since last season?

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2016, 07:49 PM
What changed in CPU's offense since last season? I believe their QB, an Air Force? (or Army) transfer wasn't eligible last year. He's a 5K triple option QB in HS, and when his prior University dropped that, Cal Poly recruited, and he accepted. Poly folks, I'm going off the Midco broadcasters, so feel free to correct.

Thumper 76
September 18th, 2016, 08:29 PM
What changed in CPU's offense since last season?

New QB transfer from Air Force like Rabid was saying. Runs the triple O really well and can pass pretty well. He was murderous to us with hitting passes when we finally got them into 3rd and long. I think he converted 3 times on 3rd and 5 or longer on their last scoring drive.

Schism55
September 18th, 2016, 08:35 PM
New QB transfer from Air Force like Rabid was saying. Runs the triple O really well and can pass pretty well. He was murderous to us with hitting passes when we finally got them into 3rd and long. I think he converted 3 times on 3rd and 5 or longer on their last scoring drive.
He did look good, no doubt.
A good reason is that sdsu did not abide by the first rule of option D, you MUST stop the dive.

Thumper 76
September 18th, 2016, 08:36 PM
He did look good, no doubt.
A good reason is that sdsu did not abide by the first rule of option D, you MUST stop the dive.

Didn't even slow it down honestly.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2016, 09:24 PM

That makes sense.

coover
September 19th, 2016, 03:25 AM
I believe their QB, an Air Force? (or Army) transfer wasn't eligible last year. He's a 5K triple option QB in HS, and when his prior University dropped that, Cal Poly recruited, and he accepted. Poly folks, I'm going off the Midco broadcasters, so feel free to correct.He was at Air Force Academy for two years, competing on their Prep School team and then as a Freshman. Last year was his Senior Year, but he still had a Red Shirt Year available. He wasn't going to be the starting QB last year and either he or the Coaching Staff decided for him to take the Red Shirt. Ability wise, he was believed to be equal to last years starter, but because of his size (5-10, 180) wasn't chosen to start. He is starting this year, and you've seen what he can do.

coover
September 19th, 2016, 03:30 AM
What changed in CPU's offense since last season?Not much ... they were the #1 or #2 rushing team last year in D I football (FBS and FCS). Last years QB was much bigger than Graves, and ran a lot more than Graves. This year, while Graves will run and run well, being a small QB, he cannot afford to rush as often ... and he has a better arm.

kalm
September 19th, 2016, 05:58 AM
He was at Air Force Academy for two years, competing on their Prep School team and then as a Freshman. Last year was his Senior Year, but he still had a Red Shirt Year available. He wasn't going to be the starting QB last year and either he or the Coaching Staff decided for him to take the Red Shirt. Ability wise, he was believed to be equal to last years starter, but because of his size (5-10, 180) wasn't chosen to start. He is starting this year, and you've seen what he can do.

But he also got quite a bit of playing time at Cal Poly in 2014 and 2013 too. Correct? He's been in the system for quite awhile.