View Full Version : SDSU vs CAL POLY

nevadagriz
September 14th, 2016, 10:00 AM
This is a game that I'm really interested in seeing how it unfolds.
I would like to hear more about the offense and defense of SDSU and the Defense of POLY.
Lets hear your take Jack and Mustang fans!

CappinHard
September 14th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I would consider SDSU's strength to be their defense, and considering this will not be the first time they have had to face the triple option, I can see SDSU winning by 17-20. Not saying that it's going to be an easy game, I just think our offense will score enough to the point where Cal Poly won't be able to keep up, and our defense will slow down the option.

Jacks02
September 14th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I'm not sold on our defense after seeing Drake put up 28 on us last week, but I think our offense is one of the tops in the nation, and should be able to continue putting up big numbers.

I'll go with a 42-24 Jacks win for my prediction.

CappinHard
September 14th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm not sold on our defense after seeing Drake put up 28 on us last week, but I think our offense is one of the tops in the nation, and should be able to continue putting up big numbers.

I'll go with a 42-24 Jacks win for my prediction.

I am not worried about our defense giving up 28 to Drake. Did you see the way they were flying around at the start of the game? If they played like that the whole time, Drake might have scored 7, maybe. Both sides of the ball obviously dialed it down and the play calling obviously became very vanilla, and I'm glad they did. No need for us to blow out Drake 80-0 just to prove a point. If I had to guess, the guys didn't have to expend near as much energy in this one compared to most games. Also hard to judge our defense against TCU. This game will be the first true test to see where this team stands this year defensively.

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I'm personally worried/anxious to see our defense. They need to step it up IMHO. I recognize they most likely coasted through after the first quarter, but I think the d line needs to step it up and put pressure on the QB. This game will show whether we have the defense to be a championship contender. We have the offense to be. I really believe our offense is close to EWU level. They put up more points on TCU than Arkansas could put up with two overtime periods. Our defense hasn't come out and played to the level they did last year yet IMO. If they do watch out.

This game is super important because the Cal Poly run game will really show how well the Jacks d can play. You need to be able to stop the run in the Valley, and Poly will really show that.

I personally think TC has looked like the best QB in the valley to this point. I know they played Drake as one of their games, but the majority of teams have played a cupcake right now and an FBS. He's top five in FCS in QBR, passing TDs, and completion percentage. He has 7 passing TDs and 2 rushing, and a 74% completion percentage. And before the NDSU fans jump on me about those numbers, Stick got to go against EWU, whose defense is a regular punchline. From what I've watched his passes have looked better, and he's made tougher throws much more regularly than Stick or Bailey. Bailey and Stick most likely run better, but TC is more mobile along the lines of a Russell Wilson, where he runs to gain time and if he has to, and isn't used nearly as much in the run game. He still takes sacks he shouldn't, but I'd rather he did that than threw INTs, which he has avoided to this point.

In the end, I think SDSU wins just because it's at home, but we're going to find out what the Jacks defense is really made of in this one. Poly doesn't want to get into a track meet with SDSU, they'll need to keep our offense off the field and have long, sustained drives to win. If they have a lot of 3 and outs it could get ugly like SUU did last year.

slostang
September 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM
For Cal Poly to make this a game they will need to hold on to the ball and grind it out offensively to keep SDSU's very explosive offense on the sidelines. Cal Poly was one of the best teams offensively holding on to the ball in 2014 with only 7 turnovers and very bad in 2015 with 15 fumbles lost (cost them 3 games last season - (PSU, SUU and EWU).

I also think if SDSU stacks the box to slow down Cal Poly's run game QB Dano Graves is more capable of making them pay by hitting them over the top with his arm than last year's QB Chris Brown. Brown had a stronger arm and was a more explosive runner, but Graves is far more accurate passer and the coaching staff has more confidence in his passing ability. Grave's does not have Brown's top end speed to break off as many 70+ yard runs, but he is cat quick and can make people miss in tight spaces and can turn a Brown 2 yard run into a 20 yard run.

I think Cal Poly's defense is considerably better this year than last, but they were not a good defense last year as injuries really hurt them. The last 3 or 4 years they ran a 4-3 defense and they were a very vanilla defense that tried to keep everything in front of you and did not bring much pressure. This year the have switched to a 3-4 defense and bring pressure almost every play and mix up and disguise were and if it is coming from. A big pick up this off season is the return of Payam Sadaat to the coaching staff. He was the Defensive Coordinator under Rich Ellerson back when Cal Poly was a top FCS defense that produced 3 straight Buchanan winners.

Cal Poly will have to play a near perfect game to compete with SDSU. I think they are capable of winning, but I would put it at 30-70 in SDSU favor. If the game was in SLO I would put it at 45-55 in SDSU's favor. Either way, I am looking forward to the game.

CappinHard
September 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I would put it at 30-70 in SDSU favor.

Fwiw, the implied win percentages based on 5dimes posted moneylines would be 81.65% to 18.35%. The spread is posted at 14.5 and Sagarin predicts a spread of 15.22. For comparison to Nevada, which Cal Poly took to OT, SDSU is 3 points higher in Sagarin than Nevada.

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2016, 11:53 AM
A couple of articles on the game. If you want in depth information abou SDSU going into this game, from what the Beef Bowl is to academic achievements of the team, go here.

http://gojacks.com/news/2016/9/14/football-beef-bowl-celebrates-50-years.aspx

Another really cool article written by Matt Zimmer, SDSUs beat writer, where he interviews the Sioux Falls DII coaches to get insight into the Poly option game. Obviously everybody on here understands what the option game is, but still a cool way to do it.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2016/09/14/cal-polys-triple-option-how-works-and-how-you-stop/90343442/

cpalum
September 14th, 2016, 01:58 PM
At risk of pissing off very other Big Sky fan on the board I'm going to say that I think SDSU is the best team Cal Poly will play all year. We have a chance but the Jacks are a very solid football team from what I've seen.

As Slo already mentioned I'd expect to see our defense, especially the LBs have some success. For those who have been around awhile, Payam Saadat is back and if you remember Cal Poly's defense under Rich Ellerson you will know how good they were at getting to the QB. The current team is not there yet but they are heading in a good direction. If Cal Poly can protect the football and succeed at the grind them out, wear down the defense drives they are known for they have a chance. They have a FB, Joe Protroe who is one of the best in the Country and very fun to watch if you like smash mouth style football.

Really exited to see this one

UNIFanSince1983
September 14th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I am going to go out a HUGE limb on this one. Going to say that one of the teams will score more points than the other, and that team will some how scrape together a victory ;)

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Note that Weineke was either pulled or no longer focus in Drake win after his 19 yards on 3 catched passes. Btw all 3 were TDs.

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Note that Weineke was either pulled or no longer focus in Drake win after his 19 yards on 3 caught passes. Btw all 3 were TDs.
FYI- sorry that was gunna bug the hell out of me.

Grizalltheway
September 14th, 2016, 03:30 PM
At risk of pissing off very other Big Sky fan on the board I'm going to say that I think SDSU is the best team Cal Poly will play all year. We have a chance but the Jacks are a very solid football team from what I've seen.

As Slo already mentioned I'd expect to see our defense, especially the LBs have some success. For those who have been around awhile, Payam Saadat is back and if you remember Cal Poly's defense under Rich Ellerson you will know how good they were at getting to the QB. The current team is not there yet but they are heading in a good direction. If Cal Poly can protect the football and succeed at the grind them out, wear down the defense drives they are known for they have a chance. They have a FB, Joe Protroe who is one of the best in the Country and very fun to watch if you like smash mouth style football.

Really exited to see this one

Bold prediction: you'll beat SDSU on the road but lose to Montana at home.

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I think SDSU wins by 14. Every time I have faith in Cal Poly they prove me wrong. :D

Jacks02
September 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
SDSU highlights from the win over Drake.

https://vimeo.com/182546828

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM
One thing is for sure, if Poly is going to win they will need to put up points, and quite a few of them. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure what offenses have more weapons available than SDSU other than EWU and maybe WIU. Even if you keep them off the field fairly well they're still going to score. I think Poly needs to put up at least 28 in order to win. If Poly runs the ball on SDSUs defense, I see this game as a 34-28 type game. If SDSU shows they have the defense worthy of the teams ranking, it could end up being like the SUU game last year, just because of how this offense can score.

I feel confident in SDSU winning, just because of how dominant they have been against Big Sky teams in Brookings recently, but it's going to be a very interesting game without a doubt.

ysubigred
September 16th, 2016, 12:38 PM
SDSU 93 - CP 58

xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Fun fact, there have already been 2000 more tickets sold to this game by Thursday than there were people at the Drake game. This one could be close to a sell out. The record crowd for a game in Brookings is 17,348. Hopefully this resets that baby.

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Also apparently yesterday Stig didn't spend one second watching the offense in practice. Every second was with the defense. I'll be disappointed if they don't come out with a fire under their asses.

Grizalltheway
September 17th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Bold prediction: you'll beat SDSU on the road but lose to Montana at home.
Halfway there.xcoolx

Bisonator
September 17th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Also apparently yesterday Stig didn't spend one second watching the offense in practice. Every second was with the defense. I'll be disappointed if they don't come out with a fire under their asses.

Lol he might want to spend less time with the defense.xlolx

malibudude
September 17th, 2016, 10:01 PM
One thing is for sure, if Poly is going to win they will need to put up points, and quite a few of them. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure what offenses have more weapons available than SDSU other than EWU and maybe WIU. Even if you keep them off the field fairly well they're still going to score. I think Poly needs to put up at least 28 in order to win. If Poly runs the ball on SDSUs defense, I see this game as a 34-28 type game. If SDSU shows they have the defense worthy of the teams ranking, it could end up being like the SUU game last year, just because of how this offense can score.

I feel confident in SDSU winning, just because of how dominant they have been against Big Sky teams in Brookings recently, but it's going to be a very interesting game without a doubt.

Well played.You darn near got it perfect. Good luck to the Jacks the rest of the way.

X-Factor
September 17th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Jack's got out gained by almost double. Ouch. Stig has some work to do on the defensive side before WIU or the 'necks will do the same thing with their great running game, and so will several other MVFC olines. I hate to say it so early in the season, but WIU is a must win for the Jacks if they are serious about playoffs.

mmiller_34
September 17th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Jack's got out gained by almost double. Ouch. Stig has some work to do on the defensive side before WIU or the 'necks will do the same thing with their great running game, and so will several other MVFC olines. I hate to say it so early in the season, but WIU is a must win for the Jacks if they are serious about playoffs.

I agree. Truthfully, SDSU needs to go 6-2 or better in the Valley to make the playoffs. Even at 7-4 SDSU might be edged out by a Big Sky team for and at-large.

BigGoosie13
September 17th, 2016, 10:36 PM
And here I thought we were onto something when we announced 12 starters on twitter pregame... our defense is truly and insult to the game of football. Wieneke and Goedert are phenomenal though.

Thumper 76
September 17th, 2016, 10:46 PM

Absolutely. Hopefully this was a wake up call for our supposed strength of our defense, the D line. When a fullback in a triple option attack puts up 200 yards the outlook for winning is poor. As is the outlook of stopping most rushing attacks. It would be a real shame for the offense to perform like they do and have it wasted. To put up 30+ every game but be 1-2 is really bad.

lionsrking2
September 17th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Absolutely. Hopefully this was a wake up call for our supposed strength of our defense, the D line. When a fullback in a triple option attack puts up 200 yards the outlook for winning is poor. As is the outlook of stopping most rushing attacks. It would be a real shame for the offense to perform like they do and have it wasted. To put up 30+ every game but be 1-2 is really bad.

Didn't watch the game but not sure struggling with CP's triple option, in of itself, is a true indicator of how well you'll defend the run in the MVFC. I've seen a lot of good defenses struggle with option football, especially if they never see it.

veinup
September 17th, 2016, 11:29 PM
watching that triple option gives me fits. hope we can slow it down next weekend..

Jacks02
September 18th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Was very impressed with Cal Poly, they dominated us on both sides of the line, and they have some very good skill players running that triple-option. I expect them to do well in conference play.

Really concerned about the Jacks going into conference play. I was worried after giving up 28 to Drake, and tonight showed that those concerns were valid. Guys out of place, missed tackles, and not getting any push up front. I have a feeling we could have a similar season to SIU last year; all offense, no defense.