View Full Version : Jim Donnan on FCS Success

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Jim Donnan was on the Bulldawg Roundtable, a weekly show on a radio station here in Atlanta focused on UGA football. He was asked by the host why we are seeing FCS programs (or new FBS programs like App State or Georgia Southern) be successful against the big boys. My ears perked up as I looked forward to him talking about how the talent gap between FCS and FBS is smaller than you think, how technology has allowed FCS coaches with smaller recruiting budgets have more reach, improved training creates bigger pool of players to draw from, everyone is on some type of TV (or streaming now), coaching at the FCS level can be and is really good, or even just good old fashioned "sometimes those kids just want it more."

His answer? "The spread."

*blink* *blink*

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Jim Donnan was on the Bulldawg Roundtable, a weekly show on a radio station here in Atlanta focused on UGA football. He was asked by the host why we are seeing FCS programs (or new FBS programs like App State or Georgia Southern) be successful against the big boys. My ears perked up as I looked forward to him talking about how the talent gap between FCS and FBS is smaller than you think, how technology has allowed FCS coaches with smaller recruiting budgets have more reach, improved training creates bigger pool of players to draw from, everyone is on some type of TV (or streaming now), coaching at the FCS level can be and is really good, or even just good old fashioned "sometimes those kids just want it more."

His answer? "The spread."

*blink* *blink*

Is that the same Jim Donnan that told Cartersville's Ronnie Brown that he wasn't good enough to get a scholarship at UGA? Same kid that went on to rush for nearly 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns at Auburn.

Not sure he's the best one to evaluate talent.

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Is that the same Jim Donnan that told Cartersville's Ronnie Brown that he wasn't good enough to get a scholarship at UGA? Same kid that went on to rush for nearly 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns at Auburn.

Not sure he's the best one to evaluate talent.

First off, Cartersville Class of '93 right here. So, well done on the reference.

Secondly, I totally agree with you. It's just frustrating for someone to get that question in a city the size of Atlanta, who is supposed to know football, and that's the answer he gives. Not even a tip of the cap to the players. Nope. It's just the offensive scheme. Lol.

walliver
September 14th, 2016, 10:16 AM
I don't think he's completely off the mark. With the spread offense, A team with 2-3 exceptional players can compete with almost anyone. The O-line just needs to hold off the defense long enough for the QB to get rid of the ball. By spreading the defensive players across the field, a speedy second-tier QB just has to outrun the defensive line.

Where he misses the point is that offenses alone can't win football games. Most of the FCS over G5 wins and close calls have been accomplished by great defensive play. Last year, the Citadel beat the South Carolina Lamecocks by holding the chickens to 22 points, not by scoring repeatedly. TCU and Baylor have never made the College Football Playoffs despite outrageous scoring, because the have atrocious defenses.

VictoryViking
September 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Jim Donnan should be Jim "Dontknow" what he's talking about. The spread offense creates space, I get it, but over the years with scholarship numbers staying the same and the football prospect population growing each year, do the math. More talent not being picked up by the FBS. The other reason ...IMO... is that these kids don't want to go and sit for 2-3 years before they play. With the reach of social media and the ability to 'be discovered" by the NFL no matter where you play, kids can stay closer to home and play at an FCS school. When the FCS networks improve games on TV you will see more and more migration and less of a gap in talent. Its already there today.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23532&stc=1

OL FU
September 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Same Jim Donnan that coach Marshall and ran a Ponzi scheme taking money from his former players?

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Where he misses the point is that offenses alone can't win football games. Most of the FCS over G5 wins and close calls have been accomplished by great defensive play. Last year, the Citadel beat the South Carolina Lamecocks by holding the chickens to 22 points, not by scoring repeatedly. TCU and Baylor have never made the College Football Playoffs despite outrageous scoring, because the have atrocious defenses.

Affirmative.

References

"Redbirds at Wildcats." Illinois State Footbal​l. ​BTN, Evanston, 9 Sept. 2016

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I wonder what the stats are for FBS upsets by teams that run spread offenses vs not.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I don't think he's completely off the mark. With the spread offense, A team with 2-3 exceptional players can compete with almost anyone. The O-line just needs to hold off the defense long enough for the QB to get rid of the ball. By spreading the defensive players across the field, a speedy second-tier QB just has to outrun the defensive line.

As a Furman fan, I can only paraphrase Frodo Baggins

"I wish the spread had never come to us"

Schism55
September 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Jim hasn't coached in 16 years, safe to say he is out of touch.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Same Jim Donnan that coach Marshall and ran a Ponzi scheme taking money from his former players?

This Jim Donnan?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0uMKH2Q5r2g/VhRV1X7hnnI/AAAAAAAAA8M/U4kcD8cPRDA/s1600/resolver.jpg

The QB, from Burlington, NC, who led the NC State Wolfpack to a 14-7 victory over Georgia in the 1967 Liberty Bowl?

What does he know about the spread?

TEAM STATISTICS UGA NCSU
First Downs 14 14
Rushes-Yards 53-140 36-79
Passing Yards 136 128
Comp-Att-Int 11-23-1 17-25-1
Fumbles-Lost 2-0 2-1
Penalties-Yards 6-67 3-45
Punting 5-35.6 6-41.6

OL FU
September 14th, 2016, 02:21 PM
This Jim Donnan?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0uMKH2Q5r2g/VhRV1X7hnnI/AAAAAAAAA8M/U4kcD8cPRDA/s1600/resolver.jpg

The QB, from Burlington, NC, who led the NC State Wolfpack to a 14-7 victory over Georgia in the 1967 Liberty Bowl?

What does he know about the spread?

TEAM STATISTICS UGA NCSU
First Downs 14 14
Rushes-Yards 53-140 36-79
Passing Yards 136 128
Comp-Att-Int 11-23-1 17-25-1
Fumbles-Lost 2-0 2-1
Penalties-Yards 6-67 3-45
Punting 5-35.6 6-41.6

I looked it up. He was acquitted for the Ponzi charges.

But he is still guilty of being Marshall's coachxrolleyesx Should have went away a long time for that. xnodx

CID1990
September 14th, 2016, 05:36 PM

Yep.

Whenever I hear his name I think of the most bush league period in the Thundering Turd's history

And that's saying something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk