View Full Version : EIU - ISU Meet For 105th Mid-America Classic

eiu1999
September 13th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Eastern Illinois at No. 5 Illinois State
Hancock Stadium (13,391) • Normal, Ill.
Sept. 17, 2016 • 2 p.m. • TV: Comcast Sports Net Chicago

NOTES TO KNOW
• Eastern Illinois beat Miami (Ohio) 21-17 on Saturday marking the sixth time the Panthers have beaten an FBS school. The last win over an FBS team was in 2013, a 40-19 win over San Diego State. Five of the six wins have come against current Mid-American Conference members.

• Mitch Kimble was named the Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player and Newcomer of the Week. He is the first EIU player to win the OVC Offensive Player award since Shepard Little on Oct. 26, 2014 following an EIU win over Tennessee State.

• Mitch Kimble hit Devin Church with 56 seconds remaining to give EIU the win over Miami. Kimble led two scoring drives for the Panthers in the final 7:53 of the game. The final drive began for EIU with 2:35 left on the clock.

• Nick Horne had a second quarter interception giving Eastern Illinois its first turnover gained this season. Last season EIU was third in the nation in turnovers gained with 31 and seventh in the country in interceptions with 19.

• This will mark the 15th time that Eastern Illinois and Illinois State have played the Mid-America Classic with at least one of the teams ranked. Illinois State is currently ranked No. 5 in the nation while EIU is one of the first teams also receiving votes in both polls.

• Eastern Illinois and Illinois State have had three games decided by overtime including last year's 34-31 ISU victory at O'Brien Field in Charleston.

• Last season Eastern Illinois made its 16th FCS playoff appearance. That total ranks sixth all-time for FCS playoff appearance. EIU has made ten playoff appearances since 2000.

THE SERIES
• This will be the 105th playing of the Mid-America Classic with Illinois State holding a 54-41-9 all-time series lead after snapping the home school's winning streak in the series last season. ISU won at O'Brien Field, 34-31, in overtime last season for the first win by a road team since EIU won in Normal in 2008. The rivalry is the 14th oldest in the FCS and the oldest FCS rivalry in the state of Illinois. The two schools began playing for a traveling trophy at the 100th meeting in 2012, that game was won by Eastern Illinois.

DaBurds!!
September 13th, 2016, 03:26 PM
only post that had no replies. Even the YSU/RM game had more interest, judging by the view (and replies). Well, this has always been a great rivalry, no matter what the spread is supposed to be. I think every year, this is how either team will judge how the rest of the year will go. Even with the tough loss last year, EIU went on to be one of the premier teams of the OVC. This will probably be ISU's toughest OOC game, no question--if EIU can get off the field in 3, this could be the makings of a tight game.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I don't know what to make of this game. Seems like it doesn't matter how good either team is before or after.

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I want to pick EIU by around 4, but with it being in Normal I have to think ISUr will pull this off.

ST_Lawson
September 13th, 2016, 04:54 PM
I know I'll be paying really close attention since we're very familiar with both teams and we play both this season.

ISUr is our most played rivalry. I think that EIU is #2.

I think that ISU takes this one by about 10, but it'll be a good test to see how we might match up with the Redbirds.

REALBird
September 13th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Always a good game when these two play. Much like playing any of the in-state FCS schools I throw out the record.

This will come down to which team controls the ball and commits the fewest turnovers.

Birds by 4.

ISU 24
EIU 20

Redbirdgrad
September 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Game will come down to ISU's defense. If they can get off the field on 3rd downs, it's a double digit win.

If they can't.. we have another field goal game either way.

Love this rivalry.

dgtw
September 14th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Go EIU. Win one for the OVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdsflyhigh
September 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Got the Redbirds by 10. This is definitely one of those "throw out the records" kind of rivalry games....should be a dandy war. ISU has won 21 of 22 in beautiful Hancock Stadium. Looking forward to the showdown between the Birds and the EIU Panthers.

GO BIRDS!

ASU33
September 15th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Give me the Birds by 7

Redbirdgrad
September 15th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Are there any EIU fans on this board?

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Outside of EIU1999, I don't think I've ever seen one. Maybe that's why they don't have their own message board. It'd just be like, one person just yelling into an empty room.

eiu1999
September 15th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Outside of EIU1999, I don't think I've ever seen one. Maybe that's why they don't have their own message board. It'd just be like, one person just yelling into an empty room.

There are very few 'fans' in terms of our level of interest. I think there is an occasional EIU fan on here.

eiu1999
September 15th, 2016, 04:45 PM

I'll just stew alone over a barely mediocre team.

Redbird007
September 15th, 2016, 05:00 PM

"It'd just be like, one person just yelling into an empty room" but still having an argument lasting a couple of days.

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I'll just stew alone over a barely mediocre team.

I've considered making you guys a message board, but I'm not sure if it's be able to get enough interest to keep it running. Our own Leatherneck Nation was actually started by a UNI guy and then handed off to us a few years later.

And I don't think you guys are mediocre...you've had some amazingly good QBs in your history, and even this year...you took down an FBS and are likely to be #2 or 3 in your conference. That's pretty decent, I'd say.

Redbirdgrad
September 16th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah, you're hardly "mediocre". I hate this game on our schedule, but love it at the same time. Great rivalry, and both teams always play well when they're against each other (outside of one year.....).

Any other OVC this year and I'd feel comfortable heading into tomorrow. You guys always scare the crap out of me because your offense can sling it!

ysubigred
September 16th, 2016, 12:47 PM
ISU-r 13 EIU 8 2 OT's xdrunkyx

ST_Lawson
September 16th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you're hardly "mediocre". I hate this game on our schedule, but love it at the same time. Great rivalry, and both teams always play well when they're against each other (outside of one year.....).

Any other OVC this year and I'd feel comfortable heading into tomorrow. You guys always scare the crap out of me because your offense can sling it!

Personally (and I know that there are plenty of people that don't feel this way), I'd love to have Eastern back in the MVFC and get to play them every year. I know that's fairly unlikely to happen, but it's another in-state "rivalry" for us, it'd make scheduling easier for ISUr and EIU, since it'd be a conference game every year instead of non-conference (unless you guys like it as a non-con), they're usually a pretty decent team, so they wouldn't be weighing down the conference "toughness" as much as someone like MSU currently is. Travel would be easier (this is assuming they'd be brought in because of a situation where YSU decides to join a more eastern conference) and the visiting crowds are larger at either place.

eiu1999
September 16th, 2016, 04:49 PM
ISU-r 13 EIU 8 2 OT's xdrunkyx

I'd watch.

- - - Updated - - -

We also turnover too much.

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Personally (and I know that there are plenty of people that don't feel this way), I'd love to have Eastern back in the MVFC and get to play them every year. I know that's fairly unlikely to happen, but it's another in-state "rivalry" for us, it'd make scheduling easier for ISUr and EIU, since it'd be a conference game every year instead of non-conference (unless you guys like it as a non-con), they're usually a pretty decent team, so they wouldn't be weighing down the conference "toughness" as much as someone like MSU currently is. Travel would be easier (this is assuming they'd be brought in because of a situation where YSU decides to join a more eastern conference) and the visiting crowds are larger at either place.

I would happily trade the fighting Pelinis for EIU with the OVC.

eiupantherfan94
September 17th, 2016, 11:04 AM

Haven't been on here as much as I used to, but I have seen at 2 or 3 other EIU fans on here during the Jimmy G/Dino Babers days. Anyway, it seems Mitch Kimble is our QB for the next few seasons. Hopefully this game doesn't come down to a missed field goal like last year's epic matchup. I'm still upset about that loss.

eiupantherfan94
September 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM

Financially, playing the MVFC makes more sense for EIU. The closest OVC teams are SEMO (about a 3 hour drive from Charleston) and Murray State (3 Hr, 40 minutes according to Google), so the travel costs would be cut for all sports. However, in terms of facilities, Eastern would be at the bottom of the ladder. Plans for a new football stadium were proposed back in 2010 but with the state funding issues it's not happening anytime soon. A renovation plan for the basketball arena was also proposed but that's not happening anytime soon either. As it's nice to see some respect from our in-state rivals, I don't think EIU would be much better than a .500 team in a loaded MVFC. Getting enough fan interest in the team when there isn't a future NFL QB on the team is hard enough as is (there seems to be barely enough buzz about us beating Miami-Ohio last week).

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Eastern Illinois seems to have a pretty good lock on this game up 24-7 late. They've looked pretty strong since their opening loss to WIU.

grizband
September 17th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Wow, heck of a QB run (62 yards) to score a TD for ISU(r)!

dwtime
September 17th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Kermit the Frog is announcing this game on comcast, what a treat!

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Looks like the Redbirds tried to come back?

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Financially, playing the MVFC makes more sense for EIU. The closest OVC teams are SEMO (about a 3 hour drive from Charleston) and Murray State (3 Hr, 40 minutes according to Google), so the travel costs would be cut for all sports. However, in terms of facilities, Eastern would be at the bottom of the ladder. Plans for a new football stadium were proposed back in 2010 but with the state funding issues it's not happening anytime soon. A renovation plan for the basketball arena was also proposed but that's not happening anytime soon either. As it's nice to see some respect from our in-state rivals, I don't think EIU would be much better than a .500 team in a loaded MVFC. Getting enough fan interest in the team when there isn't a future NFL QB on the team is hard enough as is (there seems to be barely enough buzz about us beating Miami-Ohio last week).

There is only ONE Charleston and it sure as hell doesn't belong to you yankee sons of bitches.

Sycamore62
September 18th, 2016, 10:25 PM
There is only ONE Charleston and it sure as hell doesn't belong to you yankee sons of bitches.
Abe Lincoln lived in this Charleston.

Thumper 76
September 19th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Abe Lincoln lived in this Charleston.

Ouch that's like a double burn on citdogs ass

Houndawg
September 19th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Ouch that's like a double burn on citdogs ass

Make it a triple - this Charleston has a better football team.

OSBF
September 19th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Whatever goes on with basketball, or any other sport for that matter is completely irrelevant.

As I'm sure you know, the MVFC and the MVC are separate and distinct conferences with separate and distinct memberships

EIU in the MVC? Hell no, not a chance

EIU in the MVFC? Hell yes, would love to see this happen

Would "free-up" EIU to get into a "better" league such as the Summit for other sports.

ysubigred
September 19th, 2016, 07:58 AM

****ing Democrats,,, Can't take you guys no where :D

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Whatever goes on with basketball, or any other sport for that matter is completely irrelevant.

As I'm sure you know, the MVFC and the MVC are separate and distinct conferences with separate and distinct memberships

EIU in the MVC? Hell no, not a chance

EIU in the MVFC? Hell yes, would love to see this happen

Would "free-up" EIU to get into a "better" league such as the Summit for other sports.

Yea, this is what I was referring to.
EIU being a MVFC/Summit school, like Western and the Dakotas.
They already play men's soccer in the Summit anyway.

Sycamore62
September 19th, 2016, 08:29 AM
making it 2 conferences with crossover or something would be better. Add EIU and UND. Maybe SEMO and Murray St. IM not sure how the decline in enrollment will hurt eiu athletically.

REALBird
September 19th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Looks like the Redbirds tried to come back?

They just made the score look better. They played like crap and deserved to lose.

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Can we not talk about the second best OVC team leaving the conference. This conference blows enough as is. :D

eiu1999
September 19th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I never liked the move to the OVC in 1996. I was in school at the time and the distances between other schools seemed odd with the 3 in-state school and Indiana State all within a few hours.

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Tale solace Illinois St fans.... despite this loss I've heard little birdies chirping that you guys might get your helmet on the set of College Gameday in the near future. :D

UNIFanSince1983
September 19th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Can we not talk about the second best OVC team leaving the conference. This conference blows enough as is. :D

Are you sure they aren't currently the best team in the OVC? ;)

eiu1999
September 19th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Sorry, I'd like to see it.

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2016, 09:28 AM
They could be.

If we keep playing like we have been we'll be lucky to end the season 5-2 in the OVC.

I'm just happy we get them at our place.

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM

I'm ok with that, considering we already beat them at their place ;)

Sycamore62
September 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Ive been told by people on the inside that the OVC wouldnt take them in other sports at the time without taking them in football too. I believe that about 59%. I think it did a good job making them look like they improved without actually having to do anything.

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Ive been told by people on the inside that the OVC wouldnt take them in other sports at the time without taking them in football too. I believe that about 59%. I think it did a good job making them look like they improved without actually having to do anything.

Part of it also was probably that the Mid-Con Conference (now Summit League) at the time was undergoing a huge shift in membership and it looked like it was becoming WAY more spread out (so...more expensive for travel...fewer visiting attendees for games).
In '94, the league lost Cleveland State, UI-Chicago, Green Bay, Northern Illinois, Wright State, and Milwaukee (who was only in the conference for 1 season anyway). Also, Akron had left in 1992.
The same year, the league added Central Connecticut State, Troy State, Buffalo, Northeastern Illinois, Chicago State, UMKC, and like 5 other associate members for a sport here or there.

So, we went from a bunch of schools in Illinois, Ohio, and Wisconsin (who have mostly ended up in the Horizon League), to having schools in Illinois, Connecticut, Alabama, New York, Missouri and one in Ohio (YSU, who would leave 5 years later). I can't say I blame them when you look at things that way, although the current makeup of the Summit as well as the MVFC would be a good fit for EIU now.

REALBird
September 19th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Tale solace Illinois St fans.... despite this loss I've heard little birdies chirping that you guys might get your helmet on the set of College Gameday in the near future. :D

We'll take it. Then all we have to do is get the W and make it that much more special. LOL. I penciled it in as a loss, but hey I'm learning to just take this team week by week.