PDA

View Full Version : CAA in Playoffs- predictions

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I didn't see a thread for this. Ignore me (and point me to it) if there is one already. I know it's early so we can revisit throughout the season, but what are people projecting for CAA teams in the playoffs? Right now, I think three teams: JMU, Richmond and Stony Brook as a dark horse. W&M don't look great and, aside from Richmond, play their toughest games on the road (Towson, SB, NH, JMU). SB don't play JMU or Nova, and I think that defense is good enough to get them to 8 wins. Plus the committee will overrate the ND win because the MVFC/BIG SKY are god's gift not only to sports, but to the world. Nova, NH or Towson also have the talent to get in.

Bison56
September 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I didn't see a thread for this. Ignore me (and point me to it) if there is one already. I know it's early so we can revisit throughout the season, but what are people projecting for CAA teams in the playoffs? Right now, I think three teams: JMU, Richmond and Stony Brook as a dark horse. W&M don't look great and, aside from Richmond, play their toughest games on the road (Towson, SB, NH, JMU). SB don't play JMU or Nova, and I think that defense is good enough to get them to 8 wins. Plus the committee will overrate the ND win because the MVFC is god's gift not only to sports, but to the world. Nova, NH or Towson also have the talent to get in.

xdrunkyx
At least you got it half right.

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM
First, UND is in the Big Sky. Second, there's no way we're only getting three teams in unless Rhode Island and Elon upset all of the top 5 preseason teams. Then two of the three teams will be URI and Elon. Third, I believe we've had four teams each year since the playoffs expanded to 24. Until we DON'T have four teams in, I have to give the CAA the benefit of the doubt there.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM
First, UND is in the Big Sky. Second, there's no way we're only getting three teams in unless Rhode Island and Elon upset all of the top 5 preseason teams. Then two of the three teams will be URI and Elon. Third, I believe we've had four teams each year since the playoffs expanded to 24. Until we DON'T have four teams in, I have to give the CAA the benefit of the doubt there.

My mistake. Brain fart. Point stands, though. Who are your third and fourth teams? If we get 4, its due to other conferences being crap, imo. We don't have 4 contenders.

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM
This is why it's hard to get upset at non fcs fans. Our fans don't even know other teams conferences.

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2016, 11:56 AM
My mistake. Brain fart. Point stands, though. Who are your third and fourth teams? If we get 4, its due to other conferences being crap, imo. We don't have 4 contenders.

Technically if you're talking national title contenders, I would say no one but the MVFC has a "title contender". Until NDSU goes down, no one is winning anything.
Now as far as deep playoff contenders? One right now. Richmond. Maybe JMU if we can make significant defensive improvements but the jury is out there. WM never gets it done deep in the playoffs so i'll believe it when I see it. UD has faded from their former selves.

Four playoff teams? UR, JMU, probably WM and then one of VU/UNH/UD or a dark horse like Albany. I don't get why everyone's freaking out about SB. They beat what is looking like a not so great UND team on a blocked punt TD. They have no offense. You need offense to win football games. Just look at the 2009-2012 JMU teams for proof of that.

paward
September 12th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Albany will be there. This team is going to surprise a lot of people.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 12:01 PM
This is why it's hard to get upset at non fcs fans. Our fans don't even know other teams conferences.

JFC I've edited it. FWIW, I DO know what conference UND is in, but overall, yeah, you're right. Part of it is CAA bias, part of it is lack of coverage, and I'm not really super compelled to go read and research about teams we'll likely never play. And this is why it's easy to get upset at FCS fans (and sports nerds in general): they wanna go "actuallyyyyyy" and push their glasses up instead of giving the benefit of the doubt and just having a discussion.

I think I gotta stop posting today. I'm leaving for Ireland on Wednesday and I'm too distracted to get any work done, which means I'm on here. At least this will give me the opportunity to bone up on the FCS conference members.

Gangtackle11
September 12th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Definitely: Richmond

Most Likely: James Madison

Contenders: Villanova, UNH, William & Mary, Towson

Make it interesting? : Albany, Stony Brook, Maine, Delaware

See you next season: Elon, Rhode Island

Towson - Villanova is the 1st of many CAA games that will start to separate the wheat from the chaff. (MVFC term)

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Where to in eireann?

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Great place. Sadly I only like the villages but couldnt take living in one again.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Definitely: Richmond

Most Likely: James Madison

Contenders: Villanova, UNH, William & Mary, Towson

Make it interesting? : Albany, Stony Brook, Maine, Delaware

See you next season: Elon, Rhode Island

Towson - Villanova is the 1st of many CAA games that will start to separate the wheat from the chaff. (MVFC term)

Nice MVFC term. I love the MVFC. Eastern Illinois is my personal favorite.

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Nice MVFC term. I love the MVFC. Eastern Illinois is my personal favorite.

.....UH......ER.......UMMM.........EASTERN ILLINOIS.....IS IN DUH OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE........xchinscratchx....BRAWK!

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 01:00 PM
.....UH......ER.......UMMM.........EASTERN ILLINOIS.....IS IN DUH OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE........xchinscratchx....BRAWK!

Cmon dude...

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Where to in eireann?

Greystones, Co. Wicklow. I have family there.

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Cmon dude...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23514&stc=1...........WHAT....xconfusedx...........BRAWK !

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Greystones, Co. Wicklow. I have family there.

Enjoy the craic. The west is the goodside of eire in my biased opinion