From College Sports Madness with link to projected brackets:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13517

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 10:42 AM
From College Sports Madness with link to projected brackets:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13517

You heard it here second!

August 31st, 2016, 02:15 PM

4 Teams; not 3 - not exactly sure which 4, because 7 or 8 are probably good enough to qualify...

walliver
September 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Outside of Sammy, there will likely be few, if any, prominent OOC FCS wins. The key to getting 4 teams in will be to avoid conference upsets and have 4 teams with 7-1 or 6-2 conference records. I can easily see a lot of teams at 5-3 in conference which would not bode well.

centennial
September 12th, 2016, 11:00 AM
4 teams means that you almost have a perfect OOC vs the rest of the FCS + a couple of FBS wins. I just don't see that happening.

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2016, 12:03 PM
The reality is, the SoCon is winning OOC games, which is great, but outside of UCA, none of them have been high quality. With the addition of ETSU, we only get 3 OOC games, 1 of which, for most schools, is a high level P5 (Michigan State, Alabama).

Add in that a number of teams play a Non DI leaving only 1 FCS OOC game, it doesn't really leave any room to stack on quality wins before conference play.

The SoCon has done a good job this year, so far, winning the games they are supposed to, but to be a real national player again, they have to start playing/beating ranked teams. The problem has been that the SoCon sticks pretty close to home on the OOC (which I have no problems with, cost containment) and one of the two traditional top 25 teams (CCU) is moving up (the other being JSU).

The Big Sky/MVFC are playing top 10 OOC games (and beating P5 FBS teams), the SoCon is beating Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian.

I still say we'll be lucky to get three in the playoffs.

Mocs123
September 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I agree- we will be lucky to get 3 in. We play 12 FCS OOC games this year and currently stand at 6-0. Going undefeated on the FCS OOC isn't beyond belief however the biggest question marks being Furman beating CCU and VMI topping Bucknell.

Still then our only real quality OOC wins would be CCU and UCA.

Somehow I don't see us winning any of our FBS games with Bama, UNC, Miss St, and USC remaining.

We also need to not beat ourselves up which I see happening this year.

tenNesseeCat
September 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I would love it, but I don't see 4 teams getting in. 3 with the last just squeezing in is where I see it. UTC, The Citadel, Samford, WCU, and Wofford all have good shots in descending order. FU, MU, VMI, and ETSU would have to play perfect from here on out.

centennial
September 12th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Good showings against P5 teams will help. As of now realistically I see 2 teams from the SoCon, 1 more if they can upset a P5 team. As mentioned in this thread the SoCon needs to schedule ranked teams in the FCS OOC, they aren't really doing that much. SOS might be respectable for some teams because of playing a SEC team, but most teams with 7 wins are going to not make it.

clenz
September 12th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Even the selection committee looks at that and goes "Holy ****, that's really regionalized"

BisonTru
September 12th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Using Massey as a predictor of future games. Wofford looks to be a 6-7 win team with a sub D1 win. They'll need to get to 7 wins and that only puts them in the bubble, IMO.

Three teams look likely tho.

walliver
September 14th, 2016, 10:29 AM
With 24 teams in the playoffs, the MEAC effectively unlikely to take a spot, and the Big South possible down to one team this year, the possibilities exists for 4, although 3 is more likely. Despite what the NCAA says they do, lack of OOC wins is not that significant after politics enter the picture. It really depends on what happens in the OVC, does the MEAC get an at-large, and what happens in the CAA.

CID1990
September 14th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Theres way too much football left to be played yet

The Citadel dropping 4 conference games is not outside the realm of possibility- theres a lot of parity this year

however, I dont see Wofford being there yet

I also see the top 3 teams having 2 conference losses each- that doesnt bode well for getting 4 in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
September 15th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Last years playoff performance by Chattanooga and the Citadel probably helped to bring that third team into the discussion, but I just can't see any scenario of the SoCon getting 4 in the playoffs.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Last years playoff performance by Chattanooga and the Citadel probably helped to bring that third team into the discussion, but I just can't see any scenario of the SoCon getting 4 in the playoffs.

I don't know if that matters. SoCon had Furman and App in the semifinals in 2005 and then only selected two teams in 2006, leaving 7-4 and top 25 Wofford at home.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2016, 04:25 PM
I just can't see any scenario of the SoCon getting 4 in the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5uqPUZxZHg