PDA

View Full Version : First Time ever in the history of College Football?

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Has there ever been a college football game when the losing team had 14 minutes less time of possession and double the total offensive yards gained, and still lost. It happened tonight with Samford and University of Central Arkansas. Is it the first time ever?

BEAR
September 10th, 2016, 10:35 PM
No idea.

If you were to tell me UCA would
Run 115 plays.
Hold Samford to -25 yards rushing.
Get 577 yards offense.
Hold the ball for nearly 40 minutes.
Get like 15 tackles for loss
Have 2 receivers with 130 yards receiving.
Have one RB with 125 yards.
A QB with a rating of over 100.

and we lose. I'd have to laugh. Not possible. But there it is.

We will drop in the polls but hopefully not much.

Samford played good D but got worn down in the second half. Plus like 5 of their players were walked off the field. Samford may have won but at what price.

ElCid
September 10th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Has there ever been a college football game when the losing team had double the time of possession and double the total offensive yards gained, and still lost. It happened tonight with Samford and University of Central Arkansas. Is it the first time ever?

I know Samford can score fast so the TOP checks but yards.....? I have to see the play by play (since i can't see the video) and see how it happened. That pretty much is a heartbreaker. You have to ask why. Looks like Samford's D is bit suspect. Looks like they gave up with the big lead plus an inopportune INT.

citdog
September 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Any team coachec by hatcher will be soft on defense and guts. dude is a loser plain and simple.

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I know Samford can score fast so the TOP checks but yards.....? I have to see the play by play (since i can't see the video) and see how it happened. That pretty much is a heartbreaker. You have to ask why. Looks like Samford's D is bit suspect. Looks like they gave up with the big lead plus an inopportune INT.

Samfords Offensive line just got whipped tonight. The QB, backs and receivers played well. I think the defense played well, but just got tired. Play callingand coaching was okay though Samford didnt run the ball to kill the clock, but frankly they couldn't. Its the first college football game when the losing team had double the time of possession (40 minutes to under 20 ) and double the total offensive yards gained (577 to 257), and still lost. It happened tonight with Samford and University of Central Arkansas. Unheard of.

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Any team coachec by hatcher will be soft on defense and guts. dude is a loser plain and simple.

It really wasnt that the defense played soft. It was the craziest game I have ever watched in my life time. No way Samford should have won the game, but they did. The big issue was the OLINE tonight, especially up the middle.

BEAR
September 10th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Your defense did enough to win it.

Ive never seen Hildebrand throw route passes where receivers werent there. But thats part of our inexperience.

Northwestern State is in trouble.

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Your defense did enough to win it.

Ive never seen Hildebrand throw route passes where receivers werent there. But thats part of our inexperience.

Northwestern State is in trouble.

Northwestern State is in UNBearable Trouble!

ElCid
September 10th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Samfords Offensive line just got whipped tonight. The QB, backs and receivers played well. I think the defense played well, but just got tired. Play callingand coaching was okay though Samford didnt run the ball to kill the clock, but frankly they couldn't. Its the first college football game when the losing team had double the time of possession (40 minutes to under 20 ) and double the total offensive yards gained (577 to 257), and still lost. It happened tonight with Samford and University of Central Arkansas. Unheard of.

Not quibbling, but ESPN box score shows about 37 to 23. Is that wrong? Still pretty amazing (weird, unheard of, sad, perplexing).

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Not quibbling, but ESPN box score shows about 37 to 23. Is that wrong? Still pretty amazing (weird, unheard of, sad, perplexing).

Final was Samford 35-UCA 29. Check out the stats....Unbelievable.

ElCid
September 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Final was Samford 35-UCA 29. Check out the stats....Unbelievable.

Actually I was talking about the TOP. Sorry I did not specify. 37 minutes to 23.

MTfan4life
September 11th, 2016, 12:48 AM
I think the TOP difference was only about 6 minutes, but in 2007 Montana beat Eastern Washington even though the Eagles outgained them 576-289.

VictoryViking
September 11th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I updated the time of possession from the original last night. UCA 36:46 and Samford 23:14 (13 Minutes and 32 seconds) ...But still amazing.

BEAR
September 11th, 2016, 04:49 PM
If a team can dominate time of possession, run and pass stats, defensive stats, and most every category but still losses, then that team gave it away more than the other team took it.

For example the two picks were thrown and the receivers ran the wrong routes. Hiw do we know that for sure? The receiver ran right and the ball was thrown left to nobody. You could even see it during a critical 3rd down play where the receiver ran toward the line and the ball whizzed by him outside. I witnessed it at least 4 times last night. Running 115 plays I couldnt keep up with every play.

But in all fairness Samford played great defense in the first half which is where the 21 point quarter came from. Second half not so much but in the end not only did they do enough to stop the final drive but they won the one stat that matters....the score.

VictoryViking
September 11th, 2016, 04:54 PM
If a team can dominate time of possession, run and pass stats, defensive stats, and most every category but still losses, then that team gave it away more than the other team took it.

For example the two picks were thrown and the receivers ran the wrong routes. Hiw do we know that for sure? The receiver ran right and the ball was thrown left to nobody. You could even see it during a critical 3rd down play where the receiver ran toward the line and the ball whizzed by him outside. I witnessed it at least 4 times last night. Running 115 plays I couldnt keep up with every play.

But in all fairness Samford played great defense in the first half which is where the 21 point quarter came from. Second half not so much but in the end not only did they do enough to stop the final drive but they won the one stat that matters....the score.

Well said.

Still...First time ever? or just Highly unusual? I cant recall it ever happening like ths before.