PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State at Northwestern

bonarae
September 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Wow. Nobody made a thread while the game was in progress?! xeekx

No wonder Northwestern was snucked in by a MAC school (a close game) the week before this game.

Surely the Redbirds have improved on both sides of the ball...

REALBird
September 10th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Still some inconsistent QB play, but the DEF played out of this world. Still room for improvement, but I like what I see so far. Keep improving on both sides of the ball.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Impressive win! Northwestern was thought to be pretty good. Many people thought they'd challenge for the Big 10 West. WMU is legit so that wasn't a bad loss.

kdinva
September 10th, 2016, 06:25 PM
a toast to the Redbirds...

Twentysix
September 10th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Congrats redbirds

DaBurds!!
September 10th, 2016, 08:20 PM
If no one paid attention; Redbird defense was prepared and solid. Sniffed out their 1k yard rusher and and pressured their QB. We probably left 15 points on the field.
The refs attempted to grab MVP but it went ISUs way.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 08:30 PM
good work birds

making michael wilbon cry xsmileyclapx

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Congrats Deadbirds.

catamount man
September 10th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Awesome job Illinois State!

Bisonator
September 10th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Congrats Redbirds!

Jacks02
September 10th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Nice win Redbirds, congrats!

REALBird
September 10th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Kolbe 31-41, 287 yds, 2 INT in only his third start. The first one he just made a bad throw. Second he threw up a ballon after being pressured.

Classic case of growing pains. First one he should have tucked it and ran. Second one he should have taken the sack.

Neither led to points for NW. But we won't be so lucky all the time. For a kid making his third start, the fact that he went 7-7 on the game winning drive shows he took control when needed most. Still a work in progress, but lots of upside for the kid.

birdsflyhigh
September 10th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Can I get my vote here for the biggest FCS win of the day? WOW! The Birds go into Big 10 turf and get it done against a NW Wildcat team that should win a good amount of games this season. Will this be enough to vault the ISU Redbirds into the FCS top 3? Now it's back home to beautiful Hancock Stadium to play our oldest rival EIU. Man, getting off to a 3-0 start would be amazing. Great day to be a Bird fan :)

semobison
September 10th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Yup, nice win by the Redbirds! Looking forward to this years game in Fargo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Wow. Nice win for the Redbirds!!!

Red & Black
September 10th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Congrats, Redbirds!

ST_Lawson
September 10th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Does this mean Illinois State gets to inherit the "Chicago's Big Ten Team" nickname now?

Jrbird2
September 10th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Cannot wait to read the Chicago Tribune tomorrow! So much pro-NU stuff in there these days.

bonarae
September 10th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Does this mean Illinois State gets to inherit the "Chicago's Big Ten Team" nickname now?

Not exactly. Normal is quite far from Chicagoland.

Cannot wait to read the Chicago Tribune tomorrow! So much pro-NU stuff in there these days.

And then... what shall they replace those stuff with? Those of pro sports? xconfusedx

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2016, 12:07 AM
Not exactly. Normal is quite far from Chicagoland.

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke. I know full-well where Normal is...I've actually been to the stadiums of every DI school in the state (SIU's was old McAndrew though), including 2 games in Normal and one in Champaign (just down the road from Normal) last year alone.

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Congrats Redbirds!

Laker
September 11th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Redbirds knock off a BIG team. Usually it is a MAC team that does that. Nice win!

underdawg
September 11th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Congrats to Dead birds--but don't get too big of heads--Northwestern's Clayton Thorson was one of the worse FBS QB's I've seen (17 for 41 passing)

REALBird
September 11th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I commented that he wasn't very accurate. But we did hold their 1000 yard running back to something like 35 yards before he was injured.

Playing on the road, against a team that supposed to win. Yeah, we'll take it and some of us will have a big head about it. Our QB was more accurate but he was starting his 3rd/4th game. A FBS win is a win. They should have shown up.

kdinva
September 11th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Redbirds knock off a BIG team. Usually it is a MAC team that does that. Nice win!

So Barry Alvarez was correct to ask Big 10 teams to quit playing 1-AA's.....and the MAC, on paper, seems to have fallen below the Sun Belt...

Thumper 76
September 11th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Nice win Readbirds!

Schism55
September 11th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Way to go Ill St! Get that scalp!
Going to be a looong year in Evanston.

Redbird 4th & short
September 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I commented that he wasn't very accurate. But we did hold their 1000 yard running back to something like 35 yards before he was injured.

Playing on the road, against a team that supposed to win. Yeah, we'll take it and some of us will have a big head about it. Our QB was more accurate but he was starting his 3rd/4th game. A FBS win is a win. They should have shown up.

Hey RealBird .. from my simiiar redbird forum post ... Pass defense was very strong at all levels .. note these stats:

- pass break ups advantage was 9 to 3, with 4 of ours coming from tall DL .. Thorson is 6'4" and still struggled

- QB hurries advantage was 6 to 0, though we both had 3 sacks.

This largely explains why Kolbe completed 30 of 41, and Thorson only completed 17 of 41, and why we were able to overcome 2 to 0 turnover deficit.

Passing 30-41-2 17-41-0
Yards per Attempt 7.0 4.7 .. this 4.7 is anemic especially since we also held their run game to 2.8 yards per carry.
Yards per Completion 9.6 11.2

Our entire defense at all 3 levels made Thorson uncomfortable all day and we still stuffed their run game as well .. pleasantly surprising given our horrible Q1 against Valpo. Key was speed and schemes run with our rotation of 230-235 DE's. NU o-line could not keep up. And our secondary coverage was tight all game. Our game plan was very good and we executed despite not getting our run game going. Very surprised we won game in trenches as much as we did .. great game planning.

catamount man
September 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM
So Barry Alvarez was correct to ask Big 10 teams to quit playing 1-AA's.....and the MAC, on paper, seems to have fallen below the Sun Belt...

Toledo has punk slapped Arkansas State now for 2 seasons in a row.

dewey
September 11th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Great win for Illinois State. Congratulations Redbird fans.

Dewey

REALBird
September 11th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Their receivers also dropped at least 5-6 passes during the game, minimum. Some hit them right in the hands on what would have been gains.

Thorson could have completed at least 50% of his passes.cant throw it and catch it too. That being said, our guys still played pretty good DEF and tackled guys once they did catch it for short gains or losses.

Solid DEF effort.

Redbird007
September 11th, 2016, 04:57 PM
A very nice win for both Illinois State and the MVFC. I was surprised by how much time ISU QB Kolbe had to get him self set and observe the play development. Usually one of the big differences FBS schools have over FCS's is the battle in the trenches. For whatever reason that was not the case....I am hoping it was predominately Illinois State's qualities and not Northwestern's deficiencies.

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Good job Redbirds

OSBF
September 12th, 2016, 07:26 AM
$400K and the win

cool

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Scoring 9 points = not impressive
Allowing 7 to a B1G opponent = impressive
Beating said B1G opponent = impressive

Overall = Impressive!

Good Job Birds!

OSBF
September 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Keep SOME perspective,

This will likely turn out to be the 3rd/4th "best" or "toughest" team on the schedule

Twentysix
September 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Again congrats. I have to wonder id ndsu sdsu uni are better than nw. Clearly isur is.

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Again congrats. I have to wonder id ndsu sdsu uni are better than nw. Clearly isur is.

So is Western Michigan.

Redbird007
September 12th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Keep SOME perspective,

This will likely turn out to be the 3rd/4th "best" or "toughest" team on the schedule

Agree that could be the case and although some Lake Michigan fogged-over-brain NU fan had posted that he still believes that NU will come in second place in the Big Ten West this year the rest of their posts on the NU board seems to think NU may be second worst in the BIG with only Purdue underneath. This weeks game vs EIU will be a much better reference point as to where ISU stands.