PDA

View Full Version : Georgia v. Nicholls discussion.....

Daytripper
September 9th, 2016, 03:31 PM
http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article100825512.html

....The Nicholls State game was out of the hands of Smart, as the two teams agreed on this game two years ago. When asked about the matchup, which will give Nicholls State a $525,000 payday, Smart explained you have to see it from the perspective of both teams involved.
“It gives those kids an opportunity to play in a venue they don’t get to play in,” Smart said. “It’s not something that I can say I love or don’t love, because it’s not fair to them. Some of these teams fund their programs with these games, and they give their kids an opportunity to play football.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article100825512.html#storylink=cpy

BEAR
September 9th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Oh....I thought this was going to be about the score...xeyebrowx xlolx

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2016, 04:33 PM
How come no one ever talks about how G5 teams fund their programs with these games as well? All this stuff about "these teams need these games to balance their budget" applies just as much to Louisiana Tech as it does to Nicholls St. Except the check a school like Georgia cuts to Louisiana Tech is twice as much.

dgtw
September 9th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Why do the G5 schools get so much more. I think some are getting close to $2 million now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Why do the G5 schools get so much more. I think some are getting close to $2 million now.

Good question, I'd assume the pretense is that they're better opponents therefore they command more dollars for a guarantee game. That's what I always found comical about the Big Ten's FCS game ban. Cutting out FCS games isn't going to lead to better opponents, it's going to lead to more guarantee games against MAC and CUSA teams which are more expensive to begin with and especially now that those MAC and CUSA teams know that the Big Ten teams are going to be competing more for them without FCS games to take their place instead.

I'm sure an Iowa fan is going to be much more pumped about playing Buffalo instead of playing NDSU.

dgtw
September 9th, 2016, 04:42 PM
The Big Ten dropped the FCS when they went to a nine game league schedule, so the MACs aren't getting any extra games.

tigonian02
September 9th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Because G5 hold a better bargaining chip than FCS schools just being in the FBS. Add to that the threat of P5 conferences thinking about cutting out FCS schools and that helps boost what the G5 demands for their games. JMO.

Catatonic
September 9th, 2016, 05:02 PM
How come no one ever talks about how G5 teams fund their programs with these games as well? All this stuff about "these teams need these games to balance their budget" applies just as much to Louisiana Tech as it does to Nicholls St. Except the check a school like Georgia cuts to Louisiana Tech is twice as much.

I'd add, how come no one ever talks about how P5 programs like Georgia pad their profit by playing these games? It's not all altruism or love of the game that prompts big time programs to play FCS schools. It's also the revenue they generate from a bonus home game....ticket sales, concessions, parking....$$$$$$$$. It's a win-win situation.

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2016, 05:06 PM
The Big Ten dropped the FCS when they went to a nine game league schedule, so the MACs aren't getting any extra games.

We'll see, they still have a lot of FCS games still scheduled this year from before the ban was in place but I doubt many Big Ten schools are going to want to give up their 7 home games per year schedules. That means that in the years when they play 5 road conference games they're going to need all 3 OOC games to be home games. That doesn't leave much wiggle room for home-and-homes when you can go on the road OOC only once every two years.

I'd add, how come no one ever talks about how P5 programs like Georgia pad their profit by playing these games? It's not all altruism or love of the game that prompts big time programs to play FCS schools. It's also the revenue they generate from a bonus home game....ticket sales, concessions, parking....$$$$$$$$. It's a win-win situation.
Definitely, and they love the FCS even more for that extra home game because, as previously discussed, our teams are "the cheapest dates".

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2016, 11:05 PM

You are correct, sir.

Pay out 1/2 mil to bring in an additional 6-10 mil. Not a bad ROI. It's part of the reason why the rich keep getting richer, it is the same in athletics as it is in the real world.

It's why the NCAA finally just let the richest schools (P5) to basically start writing their own rules.

mvemjsunpx
September 10th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Oh....I thought this was going to be about the score...xeyebrowx xlolx

Now it is. 26-17 Georgia with 7:50 remaining. xeekx

Southern Bison
September 10th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Upset alert...Nicholls scores making it 26-24 with 3:42 left

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
September 10th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Upset alert...NS scores makig it 26-24 with 3:42 left

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Could we be seeing the biggest upset of all time? xnodxxeekxxrotatehx

Hood
September 10th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Bruh...

Seriously is this real life?

Nickels
September 10th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I'm not believing this score. Go Nicholls!

Catatonic
September 10th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Could we be seeing the biggest upset of all time? xnodxxeekxxrotatehx

Win or lose, a pretty impressive performance from the 10th best team in the Southland Conference.

Those Last Chance University boys are difference makers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Absurd! Even if NSU doesn't win it's still the greatest moral victory I've seen in the last 20 years of watching college football....

Catatonic
September 10th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Absurd! Even if NSU doesn't win it's still the greatest moral victory I've seen in the last 20 years of watching college football....

Seriously

SUUTbird
September 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM
YOU CAN DO IT! GO NSU!!

BEAR
September 10th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Can we consider the SLC a little better conference this year? or was this a fluke?

KPSUL
September 10th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Truly incredible performance!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Best FCS loss to a FBS school I've ever seen based on where Nicholls has been this decade and how good Georgia traditionally is. They were 55 point underdogs and lost by 2 points!! Helluva performance!!

This would be like Georgetown losing to Notre Dame by a TD imo....

KPSUL
September 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Can we consider the SLC a little better conference this year? or was this a fluke?

It's possible that Nichols is light years better, but other teams are at the same level. I lot has changed in the teams we considered lower level Southland over the past couple years: Lamar, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian, and now Nichols have all gotten better. If nothing else, the conference looks far more competitive.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Good work Nicholls! Very impressive! Trumps every FBS loss so far by far! http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luqf5h6J9T1r6rmhso1_400.gif

Hood
September 10th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I might go run down to campus and destroy a goal post. I could use the street cred being arrested would produce.

dgtw
September 10th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Did Nichols drop the State from their name?

lionsrking2
September 10th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Great performance by the Colonels! Much improved program and not to be overlooked by anyone.

BEAR
September 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM
That scoop and score.....man.....what could have been.

mamberso
September 10th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Nice work Colonels. Despite the loss, you will always remember this one.

Hood
September 10th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Did Nicholls drop the State from their name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I feel like a few seasons ago the radio guy said something about dropping "state" in sports for marketing and branding purposes. For academic purposes it is still "Nicholls State." I personally don't like it.

kdinva
September 10th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I wonder if Kirby Smart will have armed cops around his home the next five days......betcha the sale of eggs and bricks goes up in the Athens area....

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 10th, 2016, 08:26 PM
That scoop and score.....man.....what could have been.

?

catamount man
September 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Impressive showing by the Colonels. Was SO hoping they could pull that upset off. GO CATS!!!

VictoryViking
September 10th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Great work Nicholls! You did good. Georgia, You may regret the "Smart" move in getting rid of Richt. Dont get me wrong I love Kirby as a coach, but not sure if his cast of character coaches are as good. Georgia just dont look as good, play as hard, or have the edge they did.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23503&stc=1

MTfan4life
September 11th, 2016, 03:31 AM
So, if one of the top 15 teams played this close to Georgia, posters on here would surely be crowning them as national title contenders and deserving some first place votes. Heck, Brookings surely received hundreds of crowns in the mail from AGS posters after SDSU jumped ahead of a top 15 TCU for much of the game before losing by 17. Now a usually terrible team plays within 2 of a top 10 SEC team. What's the verdict on this one? How do people judge Nicholls?

I think the lesson here is to hold back from overreacting so greatly to FBS vs. FCS results. Maybe Nicholls is really good this season. Maybe Georgia sucks. Or maybe this was just a major fluke. One thing I know, though, is that if this was a team like Sam Houston State/Jacksonville State/Chattanooga/Montana/South Dakota State taking Georgia to the wire, we'd all be crowning them as the de facto favorite in the FCS. Just an opinion on early season overreaction, and not necessarily this game itself.

NSUColonels
September 12th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I played for Nicholls during the last successful run of Nicholls football, Daryl Daye/Jay Thomas era, before the football grim reaper named Charlie Stubbs sabotaged the program and set us back a decade. Tim Rebowe was on Daye's staff when I was being recruited, and he is doing things the right way. Keeping local talent (Every high school player signed in the last two signing classes are from Louisiana), beating out bigger schools for kids (Fourcade, starting true freshman QB, had G5 offers and a few power 5 offers, including Maryland; WR Booker had offer from GA Tech, etc.). He's selling an exciting brand of football, using his network to create unbelievable relationships in the Louisiana High Schools. We don't have any money so he's obviously playing by the rules (i.e., not an Ole Miss situation). Facilities are finally being upgraded, our terrible AD is finally gone, our new president is 100% committed to athletics. The "old guard" administrative staff that held back Coach Daye/Thomas are all retired, forced out by Dr. Murphy. There is good stuff happening on the bayou in Thibodaux.

Daytripper
September 12th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I played for Nicholls during the last successful run of Nicholls football, Daryl Daye/Jay Thomas era, before the football grim reaper named Charlie Stubbs sabotaged the program and set us back a decade. Tim Rebowe was on Daye's staff when I was being recruited, and he is doing things the right way. Keeping local talent (Every high school player signed in the last two signing classes are from Louisiana), beating out bigger schools for kids (Fourcade, starting true freshman QB, had G5 offers and a few power 5 offers, including Maryland; WR Booker had offer from GA Tech, etc.). He's selling an exciting brand of football, using his network to create unbelievable relationships in the Louisiana High Schools. We don't have any money so he's obviously playing by the rules (i.e., not an Ole Miss situation). Facilities are finally being upgraded, our terrible AD is finally gone, our new president is 100% committed to athletics. The "old guard" administrative staff that held back Coach Daye/Thomas are all retired, forced out by Dr. Murphy. There is good stuff happening on the bayou in Thibodaux.

This is good news. xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2016, 02:26 PM
So, if one of the top 15 teams played this close to Georgia, posters on here would surely be crowning them as national title contenders and deserving some first place votes. Heck, Brookings surely received hundreds of crowns in the mail from AGS posters after SDSU jumped ahead of a top 15 TCU for much of the game before losing by 17. Now a usually terrible team plays within 2 of a top 10 SEC team. What's the verdict on this one? How do people judge Nicholls?

I think the lesson here is to hold back from overreacting so greatly to FBS vs. FCS results. Maybe Nicholls is really good this season. Maybe Georgia sucks. Or maybe this was just a major fluke. One thing I know, though, is that if this was a team like Sam Houston State/Jacksonville State/Chattanooga/Montana/South Dakota State taking Georgia to the wire, we'd all be crowning them as the de facto favorite in the FCS. Just an opinion on early season overreaction, and not necessarily this game itself.

Extremely true!

mvemjsunpx
September 12th, 2016, 04:26 PM

Exactly. Nicholls beat an FBS a few years ago and it didn't springboard them anywhere.

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Exactly. Nicholls beat an FBS a few years ago and it didn't springboard them anywhere.

They did? -- who did they beat? Nicholls does seem to be the king of playing body-bag games as it feels like they play and get absolutely destroyed by 2 FBS teams every year. Hope this was more than just a fluke as they have had their fair share of tough times in recent seasons.

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I feel like a few seasons ago the radio guy said something about dropping "state" in sports for marketing and branding purposes. For academic purposes it is still "Nicholls State." I personally don't like it.

What is behind the obsession with public universities dropping the world "State" or U of X prefixes? Seems like the amount of alumni that would be upset in the traditional name change would outweigh any marketing benefits (if there even are any, which I doubt).

Just a few who have done this:

Towson (State)
Memphis (State)
(UNC) Charlotte
Kent (State)
(SUNY) Albany
(SUNY) Binghamton
(UW) Green Bay
(UW) Milwaukee

Catatonic
September 12th, 2016, 07:47 PM
They did? -- who did they beat? Nicholls does seem to be the king of playing body-bag games as it feels like they play and get absolutely destroyed by 2 FBS teams every year. Hope this was more than just a fluke as they have had their fair share of tough times in recent seasons.
Western Michigan. Not exactly Georgia, but still an FBS team.

Hood
September 12th, 2016, 11:32 PM
I played for Nicholls during the last successful run of Nicholls football, Daryl Daye/Jay Thomas era, before the football grim reaper named Charlie Stubbs sabotaged the program and set us back a decade. Tim Rebowe was on Daye's staff when I was being recruited, and he is doing things the right way. Keeping local talent (Every high school player signed in the last two signing classes are from Louisiana), beating out bigger schools for kids (Fourcade, starting true freshman QB, had G5 offers and a few power 5 offers, including Maryland; WR Booker had offer from GA Tech, etc.). He's selling an exciting brand of football, using his network to create unbelievable relationships in the Louisiana High Schools. We don't have any money so he's obviously playing by the rules (i.e., not an Ole Miss situation). Facilities are finally being upgraded, our terrible AD is finally gone, our new president is 100% committed to athletics. The "old guard" administrative staff that held back Coach Daye/Thomas are all retired, forced out by Dr. Murphy. There is good stuff happening on the bayou in Thibodaux.AN ALLY!! HI!!!!!

BE MY FRIEND!?!?!?!?! :D

Western Michigan paid us a few hundred thousand in 2013 and we beat them. We also played them in 2011 and lost.

But yea, we play a LOT of body bag games. And now that we only get two OOC games there's no sub DI tune up game opportunities for us.

McNeese75
September 13th, 2016, 08:26 AM
WOW, two Colonel fans in the house xsmileyclapx

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Well success will bring them out ;)

Daytripper
September 13th, 2016, 08:47 AM
WOW, two Colonel fans in the house xsmileyclapx

Yep. Do they have a legitimate fan forum?

McNeese75
September 13th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Yep. Do they have a legitimate fan forum?

ummmmm, not really. The delphi board they have is pretty dead. http://forums.delphiforums.com/nicholls/

I have not looked to see if there is anything on FB for them.

BEAR
September 13th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Well success will bring them out ;)

And just like most fans failure will send them away....it's human nature. Nicholls has always played the top SLC teams tough..well at least my Bears. I never understood how they have been so down for so long. Louisiana, crawfish, gators, football...one would think it would be a mecca.

Daytripper
September 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM
And just like most fans failure will send them away....it's human nature. Nicholls has always played the top SLC teams tough..well at least my Bears. I never understood how they have been so down for so long. Louisiana, crawfish, gators, football...one would think it would be a mecca.

I hope they stay competitive. It is good for the conference.

McNeese75
September 13th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I hope they stay competitive. It is good for the conference.

Well they got those EMCC bookend DT's so they just might be pretty salty.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2016-09-10/last-chance-u-stars-marcel-andry-ronald-ollie-shine-sanford-stadium

Hood
September 14th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Well success will bring them out ;)I check this forum a lot, just usually have diddly-poo to post. Especially in the offseason.

Yep. Do they have a legitimate fan forum?Outside of the aforementioned dead Delphi forum, we do not.

SU DOG
September 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Thibodaux, one of the BEST towns that I ever travelled to for an away Samford Game. I wish we still played the Colonels. Bubba's II - best food you ever tasted, and the late Norm Swanner, terrific guy who never met a stranger. Wonderful memories of those trips down there.