View Full Version : Students leaving at halftime

The Cats
September 8th, 2016, 12:41 PM
This topic may have been addressed to some extent in other threads, but I'd like to see how widespread this is and how many programs at the FCS level have a significant departure of students during halftime or the third quarter.

This has been a very noticeable situation in Cullowhee for a while, but most fans wrote off the departure of students at or after halftime to the poor performance in the win/loss record in Cullowhee. However, for the last two seasons, the Cats have completed the season with a winning record and finished in second or third place. Still many students leave after the halftime performance of the band.

How have other programs addressed this situation to keep students in their seats the entire game?

Catsfan90
September 8th, 2016, 12:49 PM
UNH doesn't really have this problem, because the students don't really come to begin with.

melloware13
September 8th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I think it was 2011, they did a series of giveaways through the game for students, progressively getting better as the game went on. I think the last one was like $1000 to use at the bookstore. Our issue is that the noon games a large portion of the student body isn't functioning enough to get down to the game, and the 6pm games most want to get out early to go to parties.

Then again, the only season I remember the student section being full in November was 2010 (I was a freshman in 2009), when the team had one loss and was #1 going into the Villanova game. Most issues seem to be an apathy for sub-excellent teams (look at other northeastern sports teams, from Pros on down) and the distance between the dorms (and center of campus) and stadium.

eiu1999
September 8th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Overall the student attendance does leave after halftime. Sometimes there is a promotion that they do during the 3rd quarter.

Basketball is worse.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2016, 01:00 PM
I will say this, Nick Saban lectured Alabama students about leaving at half time.

If it is an issue at Alabama, then I imagine it will be an issue most everywhere else too.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 01:30 PM
We usually lose a lot of people at halftime. Partially because halftime is the Southerners and they leave after us and partially because we are already blowing people out and we've already won the game.

All things considered it's not really a bad problem to have. :D

REALBird
September 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I think it happens at every school to a degree. I saw a number leave last week at Illinois State, but then again....it was a warm Saturday night, the game was already decided (and kinda boring) so I can't blame them. Now if you leave a close game to go do Jello shots vs. a rival or conference foe. Well you were just there because student tickets were only $3-4 or whatever and I don't really consider you a football fan anyway. LOL

Daytripper
September 8th, 2016, 01:41 PM
By halftime they have their hookup lined up and are leaving to get laid. As much as I want to, I can't really argue against that.

F'N Hawks
September 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM
UNH doesn't really have this problem, because the students don't really come to begin with.

UND has the halftime problem for the first two games and then the last three games are similar to your situation. Not good at all.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM
When i went to NDSU like half the students left and half stayed. I guess that means like 10% of the student body were football fans.

Sammy94
September 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM
We usually lose a lot of people at halftime. Partially because halftime is the Southerners and they leave after us and partially because we are already blowing people out and we've already won the game.

And partially due to Alabama being on.

I remember going to a McNeese game and it seemed like 75% of the crowd left at halftime, just went out to tailgate some more and watch LSU never made it back in to watch the game.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2016, 02:33 PM
20% of the body can attend games

BEAR
September 8th, 2016, 02:45 PM
By halftime they have their hookup lined up and are leaving to get laid. As much as I want to, I can't really argue against that.

This week the bonus goes to Daytripper. Exactly. You posted that and a bunch of frat guys on campus just raised a glass. xthumbsupx xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 02:47 PM

This week the bonus goes to Daytripper. Exactly. You posted that and a bunch of frat guys on campus just raised a glass. xthumbsupx xdrunkyx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23490&stc=1

GetEmGriz
September 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
The question is what are most program's return policies? Can you re-enter the stadium when you leave?

Montana's student section is packed most games, the students leave at halftime and then most return for the 2nd half.

Catamount87
September 8th, 2016, 02:52 PM
It's an issue at every level and in every conference. Even the likes of Alabama, Georgia and Auburn are having issues with it. Mostly, it appears that the students a) want to go back and tailgate more, b) have other entertainment options they want to see/do, c) want to experience a little of everything but not all of anything and d) suffer entertainment ADD!

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2016, 03:07 PM

Yep gotta get out of there and take care of business before they get too drunk and forget that there is business to take care of.

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2016, 03:14 PM
It was an issue at UNI. I didn't go to enough games last year to know if it was still a problem. I know last year they implemented the rule where you could no longer re-enter at halftime. I am assuming it was because there were a lot of people not coming back in. I will have to be sure to look this Saturday when I am there if it does help or not.

ElCid
September 8th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Well I have to say that we at The Citadel have no such problem. 100% of the student body watches the entire game. I am sure other schools are green with envy.

I am not going to mention that the entire Corps marches to the stadium and it is a mandatory formation except those on other duty. Now if we could only get the alumni to come in the stadium during the game instead of sitting out in the parking lot and watching the Tigers or Lamecocks play, we would be doing a lot better.

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2016, 03:20 PM
It was an issue at UNI. I didn't go to enough games last year to know if it was still a problem. I know last year they implemented the rule where you could no longer re-enter at halftime. I am assuming it was because there were a lot of people not coming back in. I will have to be sure to look this Saturday when I am there if it does help or not.

If a lot of fans werent coming back in why would the make a rule to not allow re-entry? Isnt that already happening?

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2016, 03:28 PM
If a lot of fans werent coming back in why would the make a rule to not allow re-entry? Isnt that already happening?

Honestly I have no idea why they made that rule. However, I think some people were going out fully intending on coming back in, but once out decide to just listen on the radio and drink. My only guess is they hope they keep more people in because they don't go out at half with the chance they may not come back in.

seattlespider
September 8th, 2016, 03:45 PM

I mean, I can't hate...

BEAR
September 8th, 2016, 04:21 PM
The question is what are most program's return policies? Can you re-enter the stadium when you leave?

I never laughed so hard in my life when I read this. xlolx You mean they return? xlolxxlolx They have to write a policy for that? xlolx Heck, show up halftime of our games and you get in free. xlolx Show up halftime of most SLC schools and they GIVE you something. xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 8th, 2016, 04:59 PM
This is very much a problem at JMU, but I try to not get too upset for the following reasons:

1) I hear it's a problem at almost any school except for a ranked P5 with a pivotal, nationally televised game.
2) If our cell phone reception sucks, which it always does with up to 25-26k people at times at the stadium, they can't stand not being able to access their phones.
3) If it's a later game and they want to get to the dining hall before it closes for dinner, or they want to start getting ready to party and pre-game, they're gone.

The reality is that we're FCS and students are only going to care so much. They get in for free (not really but most don't realize what they're paying in student fees). They have no financial skin in the game motivating them to stay. There are so many conflicting forms of entertainment that students can and will pursue. Our student newspaper polled students a few years back as to why they don't stay the whole game. The top two reasons were "my phone is dying or getting bad reception" and "my friends wanted to leave, so we left together".

I've been following for over a decade. They leave at the half in mass (probably 2/3 of them I'd say). It doesn't matter who we're playing, blow out or the best football game you've ever seen with so much on the line. It doesn't matter if it's the most beautiful day you've ever seen. They still leave. It's a ritual that has been passed down for decades.

I look at it this way. We're FCS. The 2nd best attended program recently (not last year thanks to the yale/harvard game's unusually large crowds). Our student support for our athletic programs is EXCELLENT for probably anything shy of a high end G5 or P5 program. We've sold out our student ticket alotments in the past with as much as 8k students of our 20k students. How many FCS schools get 40% student turnout?

I'd rather be grateful they came in the first place than complain that they left early. We also won last week 80-7 against a school no one cared about or even knew where it was. I probably would've left to go eat too if I were still a student and wanted to go hang out with friends more.

RootinFerDukes
September 8th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Montana's student section is packed most games, the students leave at halftime and then most return for the 2nd half.

We don't allow fans to return after exiting the stadium without a new ticket. It was very unpopular at first but I think people just love to complain. It didn't hurt attendance but it did leave people to not come back for the second half IF they left to begin with. I think it's also kept some people in the stadium throughout.

Now students, I doubt it has had an effect on them. If they're going to leave, they're going to leave.

bjtheflamesfan
September 8th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I have my thoughts about it but I will defer to Libertine before I share

Twentysix
September 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM
This is very much a problem at JMU, but I try to not get too upset for the following reasons:

1) I hear it's a problem at almost any school except for a ranked P5 with a pivotal, nationally televised game.
2) If our cell phone reception sucks, which it always does with up to 25-26k people at times at the stadium, they can't stand not being able to access their phones.
3) If it's a later game and they want to get to the dining hall before it closes for dinner, or they want to start getting ready to party and pre-game, they're gone.

The reality is that we're FCS and students are only going to care so much. They get in for free (not really but most don't realize what they're paying in student fees). They have no financial skin in the game motivating them to stay. There are so many conflicting forms of entertainment that students can and will pursue. Our student newspaper polled students a few years back as to why they don't stay the whole game. The top two reasons were "my phone is dying or getting bad reception" and "my friends wanted to leave, so we left together".

I've been following for over a decade. They leave at the half in mass (probably 2/3 of them I'd say). It doesn't matter who we're playing, blow out or the best football game you've ever seen with so much on the line. It doesn't matter if it's the most beautiful day you've ever seen. They still leave. It's a ritual that has been passed down for decades.

I look at it this way. We're FCS. The 2nd best attended program recently (not last year thanks to the yale/harvard game's unusually large crowds). Our student support for our athletic programs is EXCELLENT for probably anything shy of a high end G5 or P5 program. We've sold out our student ticket alotments in the past with as much as 8k students of our 20k students. How many FCS schools get 40% student turnout?

I'd rather be grateful they came in the first place than complain that they left early. We also won last week 80-7 against a school no one cared about or even knew where it was. I probably would've left to go eat too if I were still a student and wanted to go hang out with friends more.

NDSU doesn't allow 40% to attend. Only about 20% of the student body can attend a game. Thus a complicated electronic ticketing system.

RootinFerDukes
September 8th, 2016, 05:48 PM
NDSU doesn't allow 40% to attend. Only about 20% of the student body can attend a game. Thus a complicated electronic ticketing system.

I think anyone but high end P5 programs would LOVE to have 40% or 20% student turnout, let alone on a consistent basis. Our student turnout norm is probably in the 3-5k range I would guess. On good days, it looks half full and if they're packed to the brim, it's 8k, thus 4k most games.

ASU33
September 8th, 2016, 05:49 PM
This is a problem depending on who we play and if the opposing band made the trip or not. If the game is out of hand and the opposing band is not there our student are headed to the tailgate area or going back home for the after parties. If the game is close they'll stay or if the opposing band is there they'll stay for the 5th quarter between the bands like in the picture below.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23492&stc=1

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I think anyone but high end P5 programs would LOVE to have 40% or 20% student turnout, let alone on a consistent basis. Our student turnout norm is probably in the 3-5k range I would guess. On good days, it looks half full and if they're packed to the brim, it's 8k, thus 4k most games.
We generally pull about 30-40% of our students.

Mocs123
September 8th, 2016, 05:54 PM

I would love to have to limit the amount of students we have room for at the games. NDSU has great fan and student support and I admit that I am jealous of. JSU and App (now FBS) too.

TheRevSFA
September 8th, 2016, 06:35 PM
**** I'll leave at halftime as an alum to go drink a beer or two. I'll always be back for 2nd half

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM
**** I'll leave at halftime as an alum to go drink a beer or two. I'll always be back for 2nd half
xnodxxnodx

PAllen
September 8th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Back in my day (I can't believe I just said that), the issue was the opposite. They would shut down student tailgates at the end of the first half, and the stadium would fill with a long line of inebriated students trying to make it in before they closed the gates at the beginning of the second half.

PAllen
September 8th, 2016, 07:04 PM
The one that really shocked me was the Lehigh/Towson playoff game a few years ago. Midway through the 4th qtr of a tied 2nd round playoff game and half or more of the Towson fans start streaming out of the stadium to go get ready to party or go to the early season basketball game across the street. I just couldn't believe it.

catamount man
September 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Longtime WCU SID Steve White wrote a piece about students and lack of attendance/concern 15 years ago at the official WCU athletics website. Nothing has changed since 2000.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102500aab.html

ASU33
September 8th, 2016, 07:56 PM
We generally pull about 30-40% of our students.

We get about the same typically. Its a LOT higher for the Jackson State, Southern, and Turkey Day Classic games.

neverobeyed
September 8th, 2016, 09:28 PM

Do we get to count the band as students? Because at UNI, that's literally 250+ kids ... with some of the best seats ... and a director who cues them to play at the worst times for the UNI football team. But at least they don't leave at halftime.

No idea why they instituted the no re-entry rule. With the limited women's restrooms in the Dome, there was always a flood of women to McLeod next door at halftime (the Dome is 40 years old now and though structurally pretty solid - at least to my layman's eyes - it needs serious updating, including more women's restrooms).

ST_Lawson
September 8th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Yea, outside of a few select schools, I think it's a problem just about everywhere. If we get students at all, they either wander in halfway through the first half, head on out midway through the second half, or both. Seems like by the end of some games it's just me and the band sitting there in the stands.

https://i.imgur.com/77X3cnI.jpg

KPSUL
September 8th, 2016, 10:06 PM

But of those that do, many leave after the first half. The exception were the home playoff games in 2014.

KPSUL
September 8th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I have my thoughts about it but I will defer to Libertine before I share

Having gone to one Liberty game a year the last few seasons, I'm waiting to hear your comments. My observations from a few games was that your student sections, which is the whole Visitor side of the stadium, are just about full, the kids seem into the game, and I didn't notice many leaving early.

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2016, 01:43 AM

So, would the dispensing of free condoms AFTER the final whistle be an effective counter-measure for FCS programs to insert into their game-day activities?
Perhaps an adapter to a Tee Shirt Cannon could be utilized for spraying them into the crowd at the end of the game.
Regrettably, no FCS Teams use Trojans as their mascot; missing out on possible marketing tie-ins for this idea.

Just brainstorming folks..after all, y'know, the Chia-Pet wasn't put into production without an intensive creative process.

http://0.tqn.com/d/inventors/1/S/U/9/ramchia.jpg

RootinFerDukes
September 9th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Having gone to one Liberty game a year the last few seasons, I'm waiting to hear your comments. My observations from a few games was that your student sections, which is the whole Visitor side of the stadium, are just about full, the kids seem into the game, and I didn't notice many leaving early.

*must refrain from pointing out the obvious about Liberty* *must refrain from pointing out the obvious about Liberty*

Redbird007
September 9th, 2016, 08:39 AM
In order to keep most of the students in the second half the stadiums would have to sell inexpensive beer in a patio type setting. It would also help attendance if the schools got rid of the halftime marching band show. The band is certainly a football tradition but nothing more than that at best especially to students. The marching band routine is the biggest rerun in life. Was at the Nebraska vs Fresno State game this past weekend and with 90,000+ fans attending I could hear all 15 fans applauding once the band finished playing....and obvious sign of little interest. HEY I AM NOT BASHING THE BAND JUST SHARING OBSERVATIONS. The times are a changing.

veinup
September 9th, 2016, 09:46 AM
In order to keep most of the students in the second half the stadiums would have to sell inexpensive beer in a patio type setting. It would also help attendance if the schools got rid of the halftime marching band show. The band is certainly a football tradition but nothing more than that at best especially to students. The marching band routine is the biggest rerun in life. Was at the Nebraska vs Fresno State game this past weekend and with 90,000+ fans attending I could hear all 15 fans applauding once the band finished playing....and obvious sign of little interest. HEY I AM NOT BASHING THE BAND JUST SHARING OBSERVATIONS. The times are a changing.

maybe we could have youtube videos of cute animals doing silly things played during halftime instead of a marching band, eh?

BEAR
September 9th, 2016, 10:48 AM

Hope to join you this year...xthumbsupx

walliver
September 9th, 2016, 10:49 AM
When I was in school, the drinking age was 18 (21 for distilled spirits). I and my friends would take our flasks in for the first half (everybody wore sports coats for that reason), leave at the half to drink beer and reload the flasks, and then return for the second half. The gate attendants went home after the first half, and anyone could walk into the stadium. With changes in on-campus drinking policies for students, that system doesn't work well anymore.

the real issue, I suspect, is a decrease in the importance of football to current young people. For my generation (I was born in 1960), most of us played youth football. Panthers' owner, Jerry Richardson, was the receives coach on my team - we ran the single wing and almost never passed in an actual game. When looking at current college students, most of them have never played a down of organized football. Although I was never any good, and didn't play after the 6th grade, my pee-wee experience has enriched my attitude toward football.

While I was in college, there was only one nationally televised college game per week, and if we wanted to see a college game, we did that by walking to the stadium. The current generation has a plethora of college games to watch in the dorm, fraternity house or a bar.

The combination of less overall interest in football and multiple other options for football accounts for diminishing attendance and involvement. Long-term, I worry about decreased donations and lowered ticket-demand for all but the Top 20 teams are so. A lot of P5 teams are having problems filling the stands already.

Redbird007
September 9th, 2016, 11:16 AM
maybe we could have youtube videos of cute animals doing silly things played during halftime instead of a marching band, eh?

I already told you it is not my fault students are leaving at half and remaining fans not cheering for the band. Just sharing observations. Now go put your college band uniform back on and take your poodle for a walk.

Redbird007
September 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Agree with you walliiver that students have many more options than we did and that is a big driver. Hard to criticize students for doing something we never had the chance to do as a student.

veinup
September 9th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I already told you it is not my fault students are leaving at half and remaining fans not cheering for the band. Just sharing observations. Now go put your college band uniform back on and take your poodle for a walk.

didn't mean to offend you there guy, take it easy.

Hammerhead
September 9th, 2016, 11:44 AM
When I was in college (1986-1991) most NDSU games weren't on TV so it was either go to the game or listen on the radio. If we were way ahead, students would start chanting the name of a nearby liquor store and many would leave early -- especially when it was really cold.

I can see people getting anxious about not being able to use their smartphones normally for 3 hours.

Redbird007
September 9th, 2016, 11:59 AM
didn't mean to offend you there guy, take it easy.
Apology for the short fuse. I celebrated a good friend's birthday last night. To say my head is fogged over would be an understatement.

PAllen
September 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM
When I was in college (1986-1991) most NDSU games weren't on TV so it was either go to the game or listen on the radio. If we were way ahead, students would start chanting the name of a nearby liquor store and many would leave early -- especially when it was really cold.

I can see people getting anxious about not being able to use their smartphones normally for 3 hours.

That right there is what is wrong with this generation. Unplug and live life for a little bit. Trust me, nobody will miss you twitter and facebook updates. You can tell us all about it when you get back.

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Was at the Nebraska vs Fresno State game this past weekend and with 90,000+ fans attending I could hear all 15 fans applauding once the band finished playing....and obvious sign of little interest. HEY I AM NOT BASHING THE BAND JUST SHARING OBSERVATIONS. The times are a changing.

Put out a superior product and people take notice. When the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is ready to march, everyone is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur09wez6pMo

veinup
September 9th, 2016, 12:56 PM
i'm not really into marching bands but that video is nuts.

Go Green
September 9th, 2016, 01:02 PM
The one that really shocked me was the Lehigh/Towson playoff game a few years ago. Midway through the 4th qtr of a tied 2nd round playoff game and half or more of the Towson fans start streaming out of the stadium to go get ready to party or go to the early season basketball game across the street. I just couldn't believe it.

Same thing happened to Dartmouth against Holy Cross in 2013.

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-week-2-went-down-for-big-green.html (read "Green Alert Take")

Catsfan90
September 9th, 2016, 01:13 PM
But of those that do, many leave after the first half. The exception were the home playoff games in 2014.
That crowd was incredible! It's crazy how much energy they brought into the stadium with them.

IBleedYellow
September 9th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Put out a superior product and people take notice. When the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is ready to march, everyone is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur09wez6pMo

I stayed in my seat during the most recent Title game because I was pumped to see the Marching Southerners.

Hype was warranted.

UNIFanSince1983
September 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTca2nrIn4U

If all marching bands were this good it would be hard not to stay and watch.

ST_Lawson
September 9th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I stayed in my seat during the most recent Title game because I was pumped to see the Marching Southerners.

Hype was warranted.

I would definitely stick around to watch the Marching Southerners. That video of TA&M's band...I mean...they're clean...it's very "old-school"...doesn't really do much for me though.

gokats85
September 9th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I would definitely stick around to watch the Marching Southerners. That video of TA&M's band...I mean...they're clean...it's very "old-school"...doesn't really do much for me though.

Prairie View plays at Texas A&M tomorrow, and they're bringing their band. A chance to see polar opposites when it comes to halftime!

ElCid
September 9th, 2016, 02:28 PM

That right there is what is wrong with this generation. Unplug and live life for a little bit. Trust me, nobody will miss you twitter and facebook updates. You can tell us all about it when you get back.

That's about it. It is just part of the problem of the younger generation(s). They have mostly been used to immediate gratification and fast results in so many things. TV, remotes, computers, 1,000 cable channels, internet, fast food, etc. Their entire psyche has been built on immediate everything. To not have their phone is like a newborn not being able to suckle at feeding time.

Most baby boomers were brought up by people who experienced the depression or WWII where sacrifice or shortages were common. They brought up their children with at least an acknowledgement of those times. The baby boomers had pretty much more and more as time went on and while they did not experience tough of times, they were at least exposed to it by first hand accounts. But the boomers did not pass on the lessons that they were taught since they did not experience it. Now that the kids of Gen X are between 12-32'ish, they are in general very much removed from any sort of hard life where sacrifice or delayed gratification play any meaningful role in their daily lives. So couple together a life of plenty with little knowledge of tough times and the technological advances we now have, and they have very different habits and priorities. Not saying that this applies to all of them or that they are stupid somehow, but in my view they at least have a handicap in regard to social interaction and sustainable life long habits. They will adapt to be successful or they will flounder just like any other generation has. Those that use technology as a tool will succeed. Those who rely on it as part of their self worth will not.

ST_Lawson
September 9th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Prairie View plays at Texas A&M tomorrow, and they're bringing their band. A chance to see polar opposites when it comes to halftime!

Whoah....yea, that'd be about as far apart on the spectrum as you can get.

Redbird007
September 9th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Good luck with that approach as I had tried to do something similar....which was to get my kids to read a newspaper with me. What a joke of an attempt that was for me. They had no interest as they could not understand the concept of reading yesterday's news when you can pull up current happenings or watch news live. BTW the good news is that high school and college kids have moved on from Facebook so you don't have to worry about that one. Bad news it is now Snapchat, Instagram and others that are their rage.

ASU33
September 9th, 2016, 05:29 PM

We of the HBCU delegation can't relate to a boring halftime show or marching band.

dgtw
September 9th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Good luck with that approach as I had tried to do something similar....which was to get my kids to read a newspaper with me. What a joke of an attempt that was for me. They had no interest as they could not understand the concept of reading yesterday's news when you can pull up current happenings or watch news live. BTW the good news is that high school and college kids have moved on from Facebook so you don't have to worry about that one. Bad news it is now Snapchat, Instagram and others that are their rage.

When old people got into Facebook, that ruined it for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAllen
September 9th, 2016, 06:55 PM

My approach is to take them out into a national forest with no cell service, carrying gear, and living self sufficiently for the weekend. They get to see things that their friends only see pictures of, they get to do things (like start a fire, OMG) that they would never be allowed to do in "society", they get to realize that there is a lot more to life than what scrolls across a screen in front of them.

Will it work forever? I don't know. I do know that my daughter learned a priceless lesson when she told her inner city school teacher what she did that first weekend. Her teacher told her that she didn't really climb a mountain, that she wasn't old enough and in fact, nobody at the school had been on top of a mountain. When I heard this, I told her we'd just show them. I put together a quick collage of some of the photos of the trip, including my daughter on a rock outcropping looking out off the ridge of the mountain we camped on. I labelled the campsite on the photo (a peak in the distance) and both campsite and outcrop on a topo map of our trip. I told her to take it in and show her teacher. She was the star of the show for the rest of the week. Those kids couldn't get enough of her stories, and she was so proud of herself. "You mean you dug your own hole and pooped in the woods?" "There were animals all around you when you slept?"

Rjones61
September 9th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Eastern students usually leave at halftime, but they eventually come back hammered.

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2016, 07:11 PM

No the polar opposite would be Columbia, the worst college band in the nation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j2ct_6uUg

Schism55
September 9th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks for posting! That is hilariously bad xdrunkyx

TTUEagles
September 9th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Tennessee Tech students come out en masse and stay beyond the fourth quarter and usually well into the night, revelry 'til dawn!

JayJ79
September 9th, 2016, 09:07 PM
They get to see things that their friends only see pictures of, they get to do things (like start a fire, OMG) that they would never be allowed to do in "society", they get to realize that there is a lot more to life than what scrolls across a screen in front of them.
Galaxy Note 7 owners are doing that now.

Ivytalk
September 10th, 2016, 08:14 AM
That's the real problem at many schools: getting the students to show up at all.

ST_Lawson
September 10th, 2016, 09:31 AM
We of the HBCU delegation can't relate to a boring halftime show or marching band.

http://i.imgur.com/PuC6NF5.png?1

ASU33
September 10th, 2016, 10:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PuC6NF5.png?1

xlolx

citdog
September 10th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Cadets don't leave until after the Alma Mater is played at the conclusion of the game.

Ivytalk
September 10th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Cadets don't leave until after the Alma Mater is played at the conclusion of the game.
That's because Cadets don't have a prayer of hooking up and getting laid afterwards!:p:D

Go Green
September 10th, 2016, 05:25 PM

In my day, hookups happened a lot more at 200 AM than 200 PM.

But maybe things have changed....

citdog
September 10th, 2016, 06:29 PM
That's because Cadets don't have a prayer of hooking up and getting laid afterwards!:p:D

The "Sally Port Sallies" from the college of Charleston beg to differ...