Game Time: 6pm
Series: Villanova leads 7-5
Last Lehigh win: 9/9/2006 31-28
Last Villanova win: 9/11/2010 35-0

Last Game:
Lehigh lost to Monmouth 23-21
Villanova lost to Pitt 28-7

Lehigh Head Coach:
Andy Coen 11th season (11th season @ Lehigh)
Record: 68-47

Villanova Head Coach:
Andy Talley 36th season (32nd season @ Villanova)
Record: 249-152-2 (221-133-1 @ Villanova)

Villanova Game Notes:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...0160908aaa.pdf (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20160908aaa.pdf)

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2016, 10:35 PM
This is going to be an interesting game. I would expect some urgency from both teams.

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Wonder how confident Andy will be strutting around Starters or South Side Grill or whatever dumpster dive this weekend. Outgained 5-1 in the first half?

crusader11
September 4th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Based on performances in Week One, 'Nova wins by two scores.

PAllen
September 5th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Based on performances in Week One, 'Nova wins by six scores.

FIFY

Go...gate
September 5th, 2016, 01:03 AM
Teams always improve the most from Week One to Week Two. I look for a great game.

Ivytalk
September 5th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Nova wins comfortably.

CHIP72
September 5th, 2016, 07:00 AM
One small edit - Lehigh lost to Monmouth 23-21.

I watched portions of the 1st half of both Monmouth/Lehigh and Pittsburgh/Villanova, and based on what I saw and the quality of the respective opponents, the Wildcats should be considered a solid favorite.

KPSUL
September 5th, 2016, 11:01 AM
The Patriot League seemed to make some progress last season towards parity with the CAA. This game, as well as HC @ UNH and Delaware at Lafayette will give us an indication if that progress will continue.

I'd make Villanova a solid, but not prohibitive favorite. Delaware is likely too strong for Lafayette. Holy Cross @ UNH might be the PL's best chance for victory. I see the Wildcats as a slight favorite, but we have a big question mark at QB, traditionally the cornerstone of our offense.

RichH2
September 5th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Cross looks to have the best chance to win. UD likely a bit too much for a Pard squad that struggled with CCSU. Lehigh will bounce back with a good game but not not quite enuf to win. D remains a very large issue.

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Lehigh game notes: http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Football/2016/Game%20two%20Lehigh%20at%20Villanova_091016_2.pdf

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Cross looks to have the best chance to win. UD likely a bit too much for a Pard squad that struggled with CCSU. Lehigh will bounce back with a good game but not not quite enuf to win. D remains a very large issue.

I feel like this game will come down to coaching. Personnel wise Lehigh has the horses to beat Villanova this year imo. But Talley>>>Coen. A first half like last week should never happen with an experienced team.

I had high hopes for this game heading into the year. Now I feel a 10-14 point loss is inevitable....

KillaBee
September 7th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Wonder how confident Andy will be strutting around Starters or South Side Grill or whatever dumpster dive this weekend. Outgained 5-1 in the first half?

Andy's brother is a HS coach somewhere in Jersey, and I've heard all the good players are transferring to other high schools. Apples do not fall to far...

RichH2
September 7th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I feel like this game will come down to coaching. Personnel wise Lehigh has the horses to beat Villanova this year imo. But Talley>>>Coen. A first half like last week should never happen with an experienced team.

I had high hopes for this game heading into the year. Now I feel a 10-14 point loss is inevitable....

Not quite as gloomy for Nova. Not expecting a W. I am counting on a good game. We play a good game and lise to a better team, well it happens. Play like crap again is what we must not do. We match up pretty well with Nova. Veteran LU offense vs veteran Nova D. Young Nova O vs a young LU D.
Agree coaching may be difference here.

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I'm predicting a Lehigh upset based solely on the fact that everyone is picking Nova and there is probably a strong week 1 overreaction going on.

Now, would it shock me if we lose by 35, no?

RichH2
September 7th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I'm predicting a Lehigh upset based solely on the fact that everyone is picking Nova and there is probably a strong week 1 overreaction going on.

Aint mood swings great :)
No rational basis for a W. I do believe we are capable of it.

LUHawker
September 7th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Way to hedge yourself '98.

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2016, 02:38 PM

I have read all offseason about Lehigh's explosive offense in this forum. I think it's going to find a tough test in the Villanova defense. The 'Cats matched the FBS Pitt Panthers in physical play (holding Pitt to 82 yards rushing & 171 passing). Pitt scored on 2 punt returns giving their offense a short field & a kickoff TD return. Only the last score was on the defense alone.

Lehigh is a spread team & have weapons no doubt, but my bet they will struggle unless Villanova turnovers or special teams give them short fields.

The Villanova offense did zip against Pitt, but I doubt they will see a defense like that the rest of the way. I see our QB using his legs to keep Lehigh off balance & in the end get 3 TDs or more.

I made a prediction of 35-17 win for Cats, but I think it maybe 21-3 or less than double digits given up by the Nova defense. At the FCS level that unit is going to be hard to deal with most Saturdays.

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Way to hedge yourself '98.

Aside from play solid defense, nothing this team does suprises me much anymore. Things will start getting testy in Bethlehem if we lose a couple more out of the gate.

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I have read all offseason about Lehigh's explosive offense in this forum. I think it's going to find a tough test in the Villanova defense. The 'Cats matched the FBS Pitt Panthers in physical play (holding Pitt to 82 yards rushing & 171 passing). Pitt scored on 2 punt returns giving their offense a short field & a kickoff TD return. Lehigh is a spread team & have weapons no doubt, but my bet they will struggle unless Villanova turnovers or special teams give them short fields.

The Villanova offense did zip against Pitt, but I doubt they will see a defense like that the rest of the way. I see our QB using his legs to keep Lehigh off balance & in the end get 3 TDs or more.

I made a prediction of 35-17 win for Cats, but I think it maybe 21-3 or 28-10. Nova defense at the FCS level is going to hard to deal with most Saturdays.

That is what concerns me about this game on offense, we have shown very little ability to stretch the field vertically(please don't bring up Lafayette last year as they were 1-10) with our QB. A physical, hard nosed defense will be able to shut down the short range stuff if there is no deep threat.

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM
That is what concerns me about this game on offense, we have shown very little ability to stretch the field vertically(please don't bring up Lafayette last year as they were 1-10) with our QB. A physical, hard nosed defense will be able to shut down the short range stuff if there is no deep threat.

We row in the same boat.

Our offense @ Pitt:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17457176

HailSzczur
September 7th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Can honestly say for the first time in probably the last 10 years I go into the season knowing little to nothing about the team. That said....I'm very excited to start the Andy Talley Victory lap. First the Mainline, then Frisco! (or at the very lest, a win in Newark...)

A little bummed the West End Zone Building (the Long Center or whatever it will be called) isn't going to be operational. It looks like the scoreboard should be up and running at least though, which will be pretty cool. Was talking to one of the players at Chipoltle in Wayne on Thursday before they headed out to Pittsburgh and he said they met some unexpected issues with it, and that team meetings have been interesting. They've been having them huddled together in the cramped existing locker room, because they've been doing something with the press box as well.
http://www.villanova.com/facilities/nova-construction-cam.html

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Can honestly say for the first time in probably the last 10 years I go into the season knowing little to nothing about the team. That said....I'm very excited to start the Andy Talley Victory lap. First the Mainline, then Frisco! (or at the very lest, a win in Newark...)This team should be a playoff team. Like I wrote before they are a very physical & quick defensive team. Offense is searching for playmakers and will be average IMHO. Special teams are problematic & hopefully won't cost them a game like in the recent past. All in all, they should be in the mix at the top of the CAA & playoff contention.

UNHWildcat18
September 7th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Villanova by 20

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Villanova by 20

If that happens then the mob will be after Coen and rightfully so imo. Lehigh MUST put forth a great effort Saturday night imo. This team should be battling for a league title and playoff berth this year....

Gangtackle11
September 8th, 2016, 04:36 AM
Villanova by 20

The line is Villanova -12.5 so another TD to 20 isn't too far fetched.

Nova09
September 8th, 2016, 08:44 AM
We row in the same boat.

Our offense @ Pitt:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17457176

I would make one caveat that 98 blames their qb for lack of vertical threat whereas I blame our receivers. Same end result, though.

PAllen
September 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I would make one caveat that 98 blames their qb for lack of vertical threat whereas I blame our receivers. Same end result, though.

I blame the OC and the offensive scheme. How someone can come into a program with one of the most storied high flying offenses in history and completely change the scheme to your version of the spread and completely fall on your face is beyond me. I'm not saying he should have just kept calling all of the same old plays (although they work), but he could have at least kept some of them around.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I blame the OC and the offensive scheme. How someone can come into a program with one of the most storied high flying offenses in history and completely change the scheme to your version of the spread and completely fall on your face is beyond me. I'm not saying he should have just kept calling all of the same old plays (although they work), but he could have at least kept some of them around.

This offense was in place in 2012 under Cecchini when Colvin was QB. The difference is there was a far more vertical passing attack with Kurfis and Spadola. Colvin had a cannon of an arm but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at times. That offense produced explosive plays. Far more than the ones under Folmar and Shafnisky. Colvin was more of a threat than Shafnisky in this type of offense. Despite his erratic accuracy with short passes, his was a big and fast and could easily toss it 60 yards on the dime.

RichH2
September 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM
It was a shock to see AirLehigh end. Folmar had a tough 1st year but has built a very productive offense. To be fair tho, Ceech ran his version of AirLehigh as did Pete and Kevin. All variarions on Hank's original.
We are what we are right now. A very good O with a suspect D. Bemoaning what we dont do anymore serves little purpose to my mind.

2ram
September 8th, 2016, 11:08 AM
The Patriot League seemed to make some progress last season towards parity with the CAA. This game, as well as HC @ UNH and Delaware at Lafayette will give us an indication if that progress will continue.

I'd make Villanova a solid, but not prohibitive favorite. Delaware is likely too strong for Lafayette. Holy Cross @ UNH might be the PL's best chance for victory. I see the Wildcats as a slight favorite, but we have a big question mark at QB, traditionally the cornerstone of our offense.

fordham's fortunes changed dramatically when we hired Joe Moorehead, it wasn't just scholarships. some teams in the PL, like lehigh, are holding onto legacy coaches... makes me wonder if the real league-wide step forward comes from a big shakeup in coaching as well.

Gangtackle11
September 8th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Villanova Game Notes:http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20160908aaa.pdf

RichH2
September 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM
fordham's fortunes changed dramatically when we hired Joe Moorehead, it wasn't just scholarships. some teams in the PL, like lehigh, are holding onto legacy coaches... makes me wonder if the real league-wide step forward comes from a big shakeup in coaching as well.

You may have a point on legacy coaches. Biddle/ Hunt appears to be the only ones to have transitioned successfully so far. Schollie recruiting had a steep learning curve. First year classes were a bit more hit and miss than subsequent classes. Ibthink for some legacy coaches this season is crucial. Even so I dont see any actually on the hot seat unless the team tanks. A 3-8 from any of them ( not named Tavani) would ignite a firestorm.

LUHawker
September 8th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Ding, ding, ding. Give 2ram man a cigar. Fordham was fortunate in that the prior HC to Moorehead performed so badly that FU had to make a change. It could be said, however, that he recruited well. While Coen and Gilmore and Tavani may eventually figure it out, there was a steep learning curve as RichH2 noted.

RichH2
September 8th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Ding, ding, ding. Give 2ram man a cigar. Fordham was fortunate in that the prior HC to Moorehead performed so badly that FU had to make a change. It could be said, however, that he recruited well. While Coen and Gilmore and Tavani may eventually figure it out, there was a steep learning curve as RichH2 noted.

Coen last 2 classes have improved markedly over prior classes. Enough? Remains to be seen. Tough to be consistent when the majority of your best athletes are frosh and sophs.

Gangtackle11
September 9th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Villanova 2 deep:

http://www.vuhoops.com/2016/9/9/12860668/villanova-football-depth-chart-week-2-lehigh

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Well there you go. Pitt is trashing PSU early on. Ugh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Well there you go. Pitt is trashing PSU early on. Ugh.

Pitt up 28-7 midway through the second quarter. PSU looks truly dreadful. Franklin's seat has to be getting warm. Especially with Harbaugh and Myer in the Big 10.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Pitt up 28-7 midway through the second quarter. PSU looks truly dreadful. Franklin's seat has to be getting warm. Especially with Harbaugh and Myer in the Big 10.

Moorhead 's transition a but bumpy :)
PSU getting beat on both sides of the LOS. Kinda hoping that PSU is really as bad as it looks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I see you have to buy a monthly subscription in order to see the game. What sucks is you basically have to cancel it immediately following the game otherwise you will keep getting charged since it automatically keeps you enrolled. I hate when companies do that.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Yuo owl. Snagged me a couple of years agi. Royal pain. Twitter game for me. Congrats on TU win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Yuo owl. Snagged me a couple of years agi. Royal pain. Twitter game for me. Congrats on TU win.

I pulled the trigger on the game. I'm interested to see how Lehigh looks. UD-Lafayette is free which is nice...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Lehigh forces an early punt, goes into endzone. Offense to start at the 20...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Lehigh with a quick 3 and out...

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:16 PM
And Mish yipped a 17 yd punt. Oops.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Villanova wr drops an easy TD then Nova misses a FG...Lehigh ball

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Shaf is off the mark early. Lehigh to punt again...

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM
61 yd punt.. Then we give up a 50 yd run .Leaks saved TD. On 11 of LU

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:32 PM
TD 'Nova! Starting Qb goes out but the back does an excellent job handing the ball off. But in usual 'Nova fashion miss the Xp

6-0 'Nova 1:39 1Q

Lehigh has to do something on offense this drive...

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Nova misses EP
6-0. Shaf better calm down soon. Missing too many plays.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Shaf runs for 1st down. Need a drive.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Shah hits Casy for another 1st down. At Nova 36.

- - - Updated - - -

At the 21 start 2q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Bragalone is churning out yard.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:38 PM
1st and goal 9 yd line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM
TD Lehigh! OL played great on that drive. They ran right at 'Nova's stud DE a couple of times....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Coen said Dom would be back this week. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Lehigh stops 'Nova on 4th and 1!! That might be the first time that's happened in 4 years.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
LU stuffs 4th and 1. LU ball.
Seems we do have a D today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Lehigh converts on their 4th down.

TP and Bragalone playing well..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Shaf with a bad pass at the goal line. Can't make that throw!! ugh....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 05:55 PM
****. Shaf INT at the 2 yd line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Lehigh defense is playing well the last 3 drives. Forces a three and out...

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Brags runs it to Nova 37.
Never thought I would say it but D is sturdy today and keeping us in this game.
Shaf 9bof his last 10. Over the 30 another 1st down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:02 PM
TD Lehigh after a big pass play to TP!

14-6 Lehigh 2:03 2Q

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Shaf runs it in. 10 of his last 11.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Lehigh defense forces another 3 and out. They've played great the last 20+ minutes of the first half...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Lehigh 14 'Nova 6 Half

Not a fluke. Lehigh is winning the LOS on both sides of the ball and the skill guys are doing their thing. TP and Bragalone were excellent. Shaf was solid minus one terrible decision. LU ball to start the second half...

That was an insanely fast first half....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM
We need to not have our usual slow start 3rd . Amazing 1st half. Talley will no doubt light a fire under his boys.

Lehigh'98
September 10th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Let's roll 2nd half!!! Stomp the pussycats!

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Let's roll 2nd half!!! Stomp the pussycats!

Yup.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:33 PM
LU driving TP and Bragalone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Drive stalls and Mish misses a FG...ugh...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM
and 'Nova recaptures momentum with a nice TD drive. The pretty much ran it down Lehigh's throat. They go for 2 and get it....

14-14 7:59 3Q

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Nova ran it down the field. Pounded us.
14-14

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Shaf hits TP for big gain.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:47 PM
3rd and 13 protection collapsed. Sack

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Lehigh forced to punt. The defense needs to step up. The last possession was back to ugliness...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:49 PM
'Nova ready to score again. Averaging about 10 yards a play in the second half...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM
TD 'Nova! Lehigh completely getting blown off the ball. Talley had his team ready to go this half. 'Cats on pace for close to 600 yards...But they can't kick XP's..

20-14 'Nova 2:36 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Shaf had Casey open on a deep pass and missed him, ugh....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Nova has taken over the LOS. D missing tackles now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 06:58 PM
'Nova with the ball to start the 4th Q. They can go for the kill shot on this drive.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2016, 06:59 PM
C'mon, Engineers!

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Thank God for Harvey sack. Our ball at the 25.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Moving TP another catch. Over 100 yds so far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Lehigh driving again! Need a TD!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:12 PM
TD Lehigh! XP Goo!

Lehigh 21 Villanova 20 8:03 4Q

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Knott on a pass over the middle. Wow.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Can they finish the deal? Perhaps no, Villanova two plays and already deep in LU territory...

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Nova starts from its own 17. Damn. 42 yd run. Damn damn damn.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Swiss cheese defense....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:23 PM
TD 'Nova!! 2 PT conversion fails

'Nova 26-21 4:20 4Q

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:25 PM
A bit harsh owl. You picked Nova to score 49. They didnt.
26-21 4:20 left. We start at the 34.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM
A bit harsh owl. You picked Nova to score 49. They dudnt.
26-21 4:20 left. We start at the 34.

I had it 34-24...

Allowing 400 yards rushing is not good....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:27 PM
We gave up 402 yds rushing so far. Two 2nd half drives and 3 long runs.

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:31 PM
At the Nova 31 1st down 1:14"left. Now 4th down.and 10.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM
'Nova gets the stop! They'll win the game.

Two games in a row that Lehigh can't step up and get a W. It's basically 3 out of the last 4 games. Villanova's solid but this is not a vintage Talley team imo....

RichH2
September 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM
9 yd catch and run by TP. Game.
Hell of an effort by LU.

Southsider
September 10th, 2016, 07:38 PM
9 yd catch and run by TP. Game.
Hell of an effort by LU.

You can be happy with a "great effort" I'm not! That's the problem at LU these days. They consider great efforts victories. Nova is so so, and they ran all over LU. This program is going backwards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 07:41 PM
You can be happy with a "great effort" I'm not! That's the problem at LU these days. They consider great efforts victories. Nova is so so, and they ran all over LU. This program is going backwards.

Yup! You need to step up and win a freakin game! 3 losses in the last 4 games in similar fashion. It doesn't get any easier next as Penn could very easily be better than 'Nova. 0-3 is staring them in the face....

PAllen
September 10th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Nova killed themselves in the first half. They were more concerned with getting in the LU players' faces after the play was over than playing the game. Without some really stupid penalties, VU takes at least a TD lead into the half. I am so tired of watching this D-III defense and D-II offense take the field. Can HC please fire Gilmore so we can bring him back as DC?

Lehigh'98
September 10th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Sorry to be hard on Shaf, but there's no moral victories. He's gotta win it on that last drive.

van
September 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM
guys were open, just had to hit them

HailSzczur
September 10th, 2016, 08:42 PM
My post game thoughts:

We probably cost ourselves 14 points in the first quarter on holding penalties. Haven't seen the numbers, but we easily had 100 yards of penalties in the first half. Andy muse have laid into the guys at the half.

Where have you gone Mark Hamilton? But seriously, that was the last time we've had any sort of consisting kicking game. At what point do we just start going for 2 every time? I think we could convert with 50% success rate.

Our running game. It is very good. Very impressed by White today.

Walked out with the Lehigh Band as they sang some song about engineers drinking 40 beers. I don't know what it was, but I loved it.

Gangtackle11
September 10th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Lehigh came to play. My 'Cats have a few things to work on. The kicking can't get any worse. I think it's time to go for 2 on every TD.

ngineer
September 10th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Well,I was there and, yes, frustrated over not getting a W that was there for the taking. If you would have told me before the game that we'd be down only 5 points, ball on our 35 and over 4 minutes to go, I would have said yes in heartbeat. To have the game right there on the table for the taking. Kids showed a lot of heart. You have no idea how bad the weather conditions were. Was still over 80 degrees at 9 p.m. and horrible humidity. VU much bigger in the trenches and that really came to the fore in the second have with the gouging running game. Our guys were spent, but didn't quit. They rallied and were oh so close. The missed FG earlier was a killer as we would have had about a 35 FG attempt at the end to win with the score 26-24. I agee 'nova probably didn't have complete focus in the first half. Seemed like a lot of "chirping" by the VU players, one got flagged for it. Would have liked to see Dom get the piggy a bit more in the first half. He got the ball on the first play and ripped 8 yards, and then we go to two straight passes..wtf. If you are having success why go away from it. I constantly see our coaches and other teams trying to "out think' the opposing coordinator. Just line up and play football. I still don't like our 3-whatever defense. we have been getting gashed on the ends for years now. Nova hardly threw the ball and their QB was very patient with his zone reads and made good cutting decisions, however, part of that is that we were not attacking/penetrating and forcing quick decisions or even errors. He had plenty of time to pick his openings. We did miss Sasha Kelsey,who pulled a hammy in warm ups. He is one of fastest on the team and would have put a little more vertical pressure on the VU secondary who definitely had two sets of eyes on Pellletier a lot, who still had a very productive game. Key thing is that there was a lot of improvement from week one. VU did a heck of a job on Pitt's O the previous week, so to see us ring up 350 yards and 21 points if promising. Still frustrating to lose games like these. We are not good enough, yet, to make as many mistakes and not pay dearly. I think we have a very good chance to win at Penn next week. They will be tough, but it will be their first game, so I would hope these two weeks will have set the table for the rest of the season.

Gangtackle11
September 11th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Villanova recap & boxscore:

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091016aaa.html

Villanova passing 6-13 46 yards
Villanova rushing 52-396 yards