PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-5

JALMOND
September 4th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Football has always been a nice distraction from the problems of everyday life. Therefore, after a one week hiatus, I am pleased to bring back the Big Sky Power Rankings, however with some changes, mainly due to the personal issues I'm going through. The explanations will be short, the writeup will be the same on both AGS and CS, I'm sure there will be much more discussion as my analysis will be limited, and the days may fluctuate as well. The weeks have been crazy, but the weekends have been fine so here are the first rankings this year. The numbers in parenthesis represent the ranking in the preseason that never did get posted. Have at it!!!

1. Eastern Washington (6)---Last week beat Pac-12 Washington State 45-42, this week at Missouri Valley North Dakota State---Kupp is the real deal, but the Eagles found someone to throw the ball to him.

2. Northern Arizona (1)---Last week lost to Pac-12 Arizona State 44-13, this week at Missouri Valley Western Illinois---Close but not quite as the Lumberjacks could not stay with the bigger Sun Devils.

3. Montana (3)---Last week, beat Northeast St. Francis, 41-31, this week at Missouri Valley Northern Iowa---Grizzlies struggled at home at first, but recovered enough to get the win at home. Tough times coming, though.

4. Portland State (4)---Last week beat DII Central Washington 43-26, this week at Mountain West San Jose State---Vikings struggled early against the lower division foe, but came on late to secure the win. Now they are the hunter this weekend.

5. Cal Poly (8)---Last week lost at Mountain West Nevada 30-27 in OT, this week at home against Pioneer San Diego---The Mustangs looked great as they stayed with Nevada throughout the whole game and on to overtime.

6. North Dakota (2)---Last week lost at CAA Stony Brook 13-9, this week at MAC Bowling Green---The Fighting Hawks, even with quality returnees on offense, still look like they will need to rely on defense again in an offensively charged conference.

7. Northern Colorado (7)---Last week beat NAIA Rocky Mountain 56-27, this week at Southland Abilene Christian---Big Bears had little trouble with the little Bears but things will start to get tough.

8. Weber State (5)---Last week lost to Mountain West Utah State 45-6, this week at Missouri Valley South Dakota---The Wildcats knew they were playing up a level, but they were hoping for a better showing.

9. Montana State (10)---Last week lost to Sun Belt Idaho 20-17, this week at home against Northeast Bryant---The Bobcats fought back from a early deficit against the future Big Sky opponent but could not get the win.

10. Idaho State (12)---Last week beat DII Simon Fraser 47-3, this week at Pac-12 Colorado---The Bengals may not have much but they did what they were supposed to against their lower division foe. Now on to the Pac-12.

11. Southern Utah (9)---Last week lost to Pac-12 Utah 24-0, this week at home against Southland Southeastern Louisiana---Thunderbirds defense shown but the offense could not get going against their bigger Pac-12 brother.

12. UC-Davis (11)---Last week lost to Pac-12 Oregon 53-28, this week at home against NAIA Southern Oregon---The Aggies did about as well as anyone expected, but the Ducks are quite the opponent.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost to DII Western Oregon 38-30, this week at Mountain West Fresno State---The Hornets struggled from the start with the lower division foe. Think anything will change moving up a level?

RECAP: 1-6 together, 7-9 just off the pace, 10-12 holding tight, 13 falling fast.

slostang
September 4th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Good read as always Jalmond. I think SUU is better than the 11th spot. Guess we will find out as the season progresses.

dudeitsaid
September 4th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Good read as always Jalmond. I think SUU is better than the 11th spot. Guess we will find out as the season progresses.

I agree with this. They will need to get some offense going, but defensively, the didn't do terribly against their FBS opponent. Most FCS teams had much higher scores on their defenses.

grizband
September 5th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Very nice, Jalmond! I'm glad you'll be continuing to carry the torch for Big Sky rankings! If you need any help, please let me know.

bobcathpdevil56
September 6th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks J, always a great read!!!

BadlandsGrizFan
September 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Can we split this ranking up into Montana 1st half team..and Montana 2nd half team????

wapiti
September 6th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Looks good. I may have bumped Cal Poly up a notch or two after nearly beating Nevada.

tomq04
September 6th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I like cal poly, nau, montana and Psu all tied up for 2nd. All have a great chance to win the division.

SUUTbird
September 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
SUU is way to low, I'm not surprised we had a rough time against one of the best defense in the Pac12 if not at the P5 level, I expect us to rebound well against SELU. Cal Poly should be number 2 or 3 with NAU behind Montana SUU should be behind North Dakota.

cpalum
September 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I think you have Cal Poly right where they belong for now maybe even a spot to high. I'd love to be wrong but everyone may recall that after beating Montana on the road they put a good scare into Arizona State last year.....they wrapped up at 4-7. Now if they win this Saturday and then manage a win at SDSU the following weekend I'll be the first guy on here saying they are #1 xnodx