PDA

View Full Version : Montana at UNI

Pages : [1] 2

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Didn't get to watch the Montana game last night, but it seemed like their offense struggled. Could Griz fans or others who watched the game fill me in? I feel like Stitt's offense is going to leave their defense hurting and UNI's run game is going to be very successful.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I didn't get to see the Montana game but watched a lot of the UNI/ISU game and UNI is tough as heck again....which is not a surprise.

Bailey is very good running that offense.

UNI's DL will give Gustufson trouble.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 12:01 PM
I didn't get to see the Montana game but watched a lot of the UNI/ISU game and UNI is tough as heck again....which is not a surprise.

Bailey is very good running that offense.

UNI's DL will give Gustufson trouble.

UNI needs a better game plan for the defensive backfield. I'm worried about Montana and EWU getting plenty of yards on us in the air. We had a starting DB go down and put a WR in his place. Not sure if he will be ready for Montana or not.

Lazard from ISU is really good, so who knows. Kupp shredded us last year with better players at DB. Makes me nervous. We can obviously run the ball.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Our defense gave up 69 yards rushing 2.1ypc and 253 overall. I am less worried about stopping the run than I was 2 days ago our DL and LBs played better than I thought they would for a first game.

Our QB is what he is and that isnt great, he has 10 turnovers in the last 2 games..................so..............Here is what I know for a 100% lead pipe lock.

I will be in Cedar Falls at 12:20pm Wednesday the 7th

Everything else is pure conjecture..............................

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Our defense gave up 69 yards rushing 2.1ypc and 253 overall. I am less worried about stopping the run than I was 2 days ago our DL and LBs played better than I thought they would for a first game.

Our QB is what he is and that isnt great, he has 10 turnovers in the last 2 games..................so..............Here is what I know for a 100% lead pipe lock.

I will be in Cedar Falls at 12:20pm Wednesday the 7th

Everything else is pure conjecture..............................

You gave up 69 yards rushing to SFPA, not UNI.

I think your lead pipe lock is off. Aren't you flying into and staying in Cedar Rapids and going to Cedar Falls on Friday? xlolx

I will be coming up on Thursday to hang out. :D

mvemjsunpx
September 4th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Didn't get to watch the Montana game last night, but it seemed like their offense struggled. Could Griz fans or others who watched the game fill me in? I feel like Stitt's offense is going to leave their defense hurting and UNI's run game is going to be very successful.

They struggled in the first half (3 turnovers, among other things), but ended up with 520 yards. Gustafson had a Dave Krieg kinda game with 5 total touchdowns and 4 total turnovers.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Hoping we can pull out something along the lines of 27-24, but my head says 28-17 UNI.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I think it's safe to say that everyone had some first game hiccups. I am concerned about our special teams and DBs.

TheRevSFA
September 4th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I'm thinking 31-24 UNI

IBleedYellow
September 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I gave up guessing.

Things will happen and teams will win and teams will lose.

I just expect to see a good game.

POD Knows
September 4th, 2016, 04:56 PM
UNI by 10+ Book it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 06:28 PM
You gave up 69 yards rushing to SFPA, not UNI.

I think your lead pipe lock is off. Aren't you flying into and staying in Cedar Rapids and going to Cedar Falls on Friday? xlolx

I will be coming up on Thursday to hang out. :D

This here.

Pretty laughable comparing St Who and UNI.

- - - Updated - - -

UNI by 10+ Book it.

xnodx

SeattleBobcat
September 4th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Montana's O-line play was awful to say the least, BG is going to take a lot of punishment. If UNI has a good power back, it's over early.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 4th, 2016, 06:40 PM
UNI by 21

Schism55
September 4th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Watched the Montana/St Francis game on Altitude sports last night. Don't see how montana stops uni run game.
UNI D line will cause Griz serious problems too.

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 4th, 2016, 06:58 PM
It was a very sloppy game by Montana. UNI will run all over them if they don't do anything to improve in a week.

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 06:59 PM
UNI by 14+.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Watched the Montana/St Francis game on Altitude sports last night. Don't see how montana stops uni run game.
UNI D line will cause Griz serious problems too.

What leads you to believe that? The 69 rush yards that SF had?

Katfan
September 4th, 2016, 07:03 PM
UNI by 14

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2016, 07:24 PM
UNI needs to turn the UNIdome into a mini Fargodome...and the front 7 on D needs to hit Gus everytime he drops back for a pass....get some 3 n outs. If they do that, see NDSU/Montana playoff game.

Montana needs to exploit UNI's secondary and go fast/rhythm. See Montana/NDSU opener.

clenz
September 4th, 2016, 07:26 PM
UNI's secondary scars me. We started a kid, Charles Brown, at CB at Iowa State that was a WR on Monday (though he started his career at CB.

The front 7 and offense I'm not worried about.

Montana and EWU worry the hell out of me with their passing ability

Panther-State
September 4th, 2016, 07:40 PM
UNI's secondary scars me. We started a kid, Charles Brown, at CB at Iowa State that was a WR on Monday (though he started his career at CB.

The front 7 and offense I'm not worried about.

Montana and EWU worry the hell out of me with their passing ability

That's where I am too. They were underwhelming although other than maybe Kupp, UNI won't face another WR like Lazard for awhile I'd guess. Then again we were really spoiled with 2 NFL DB's last season.

Special teams left some things to be desired

FCSwatcher
September 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
It isn't going to be close, and Gus will not walk off the field. He will be punished. I will be surprised if he doesn't have 4 turnovers IF he is able to play the whole game. UNI is just to physical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FargoBison
September 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I watched some of the Montana game last night, if they play like that in the UNI Dome it is going to get ugly for them.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2016, 08:00 PM
It isn't going to be close, and Gus will not walk off the field. He will be punished. I will be surprised if he doesn't have 4 turnovers IF he is able to play the whole game. UNI is just to physical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, heard that about a billion times before the game in 2011.

mvemjsunpx
September 4th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Just make sure he's not the kicker. xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 08:11 PM

This game isn't in WGS either.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 08:15 PM
How do you guys think that UNI will deal with a level of physical play they wont see before or after we leave with the W?

Prepare to be punished for 4 quarters, this isnt the MVC

Silenoz
September 4th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Glad to see the usual suspects all letting us know how badly we'll lose. Real shocker there

31-28 UNI

Schism55
September 4th, 2016, 08:59 PM
UNI beat a P5 school on the road.
Griz struggled mightily at home to beat a bad team from one of the worst fcs conferences.
Game is at UNI.
What do you expect people to say?

Houndawg
September 4th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Griz struggled mightily at home to beat a bad team from one of the worst fcs conferences.
Game is at UNI.

In the Griz favor is that teams improve the most from week one to week two and that a let down from UNI is possible after a huge FCS win. Other than that

Silenoz
September 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Game is at UNI.

Yeah and you guys lost to USD last year and UNI barely beat a bad EWU team at home without Kupp in the second half. **** happens.

I'm just saying I'd be shocked if the MVFC conglomerate on this board actually tabbed us to keep it close with you guys for once. Because we never do that or anything.

Why am I talking though? 90% of this board is Bison fans, who are UNI biggest champions anymore.

SUUTbird
September 4th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Iowa State isn't what I would call a powerful P5 school as they have routinely lost to FCS teams in the past, it's like beating Kansas or a low tier Sun Belt team no one is surprised.

In regards to the game as long as Montana's QB doesn't play like he did in the first half against SFU it should be a good game, picking the Griz to win 28 to 24.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Game is at UNI.

I dont know.....how about Almost every FCS team beats Iowa St? Hell you guys even managed to pull it off somehow.

No_Skill
September 4th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Game is at UNI.

I wouldn't call St. Francis a "bad" team. They made a strong comeback at the end when we played them in 2011. They just ran out of time.

Final

T

SFU

NDSU

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't call St. Francis a "bad" team. They made a strong comeback at the end when we played them in 2011. They just ran out of time.

Final

T

SFU

NDSU

You wouldnt do that to the team we played on Saturday..............maybe you should STFU and worry about EWU this weekend

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2016, 10:02 PM
....COOD DUH GRIZWALDS....BE GUILTY UH OVERAH LOOKIN' ST. FRANCIS........AN' UNI....BEAT UH FBS RANKED #85......SAINT FRANCIS CONJURES UP...AN IMAGE UH NUNS & WINE & CRACKERS......NOT AS SCARY...AS SAY UH TEAM NAMED...BRICKYARD STATE......YER LULLED TA......NODDIN' AN' DROOLIN'.......IT'S DEY'RE DEFENSE MECHANISM.....LIKE UH PORCUPINES QUILLS......JES SAYIN'....AN' MAH DAWG.....IS ON DUH COUCH....................BRAWK!

No_Skill
September 4th, 2016, 10:06 PM
You wouldnt do that to the team we played on Saturday..............maybe you should STFU and worry about EWU this weekend

What are you talking about? I'm on your side, guy. They're not a bad team and the griz have nothing to be ashamed of. Never apologize for a win.

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Griz fans seem awfully defensive. xcoffeex

dewey
September 4th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Come on Griz! The good thing is Farley can see what NDSU did to Montana last year in the playoffs but Stitt also probably spent some time in the off season planning on how to handle that again. Should be a great game.

I will take the Griz 24-21.

Dewey

Bisonoline
September 4th, 2016, 10:32 PM
If we didnt have a game this weekend I would have drove down for this one.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Montana 77-0. Better? :)

Schism55
September 4th, 2016, 10:39 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23463&stc=1

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2016, 10:43 PM

Getting there.:D

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 10:45 PM

We are, we only gave up 253 yards last game and I expect less this game since they wont throw on us.

tomq04
September 4th, 2016, 10:59 PM
My heart is hoping for a big sky win, but my head says uni handles the griz by 7.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Not true, there is a changing of the guard, this weekend the BSC sweeps the MVC.....its so cute how hard they try to be relevant on the big stage.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2016, 12:35 AM

Odd, cuz I'm reading it and I see mostly MVFC douches doing what they normally do....perspective possibly?

Not all MVFC comments are douches btw, cuz I know how that gets you all worked up.

You are going to respect EWU, Montana, & Stitt next Saturday night. At least that is what I think.xthumbsupx

JayJ79
September 5th, 2016, 01:02 AM
In the Griz favor is that teams improve the most from week one to week two and that a let down from UNI is possible after a huge FCS win. Other than that

good thing UNI isn't coming off a huge FCS win, then. xcoolx

I could see the game going either way. I just hope it is a good one, with minimal injuries.
And I hope there is a good, fired up crowd, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

centennial
September 5th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Odd, cuz I'm reading it and I see mostly MVFC douches doing what they normally do....perspective possibly?

Not all MVFC comments are douches btw, cuz I know how that gets you all worked up.

You are going to respect EWU, Montana, & Stitt next Saturday night. At least that is what I think.xthumbsupx

Stitt beat an average FCS team. UNI beat a bad P5 team. EWU is much more likely to upset. Kupp is a beast.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM

xlolxxthumbsupx

Just like the Bison will get crushed 100-0 by the juggernaut that is THE EWU......

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2016, 08:20 AM
All I care about is that I'm glad we aren't playing garbage teams like Central State, Drake, or St Francis anymore. It's nice to have a chance to play other name programs and see posters from the board.

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 08:22 AM

And before we played ISU in 2012, and SDSU in 2013, and UNI last year when we put up 526 yards on them.

The Griz D and passing games are works in progress with the losses to graduation. The obvious strategy is to take away the run and make Bailey throw. Easier said than done.

This should be a good game.

Houndawg
September 5th, 2016, 09:18 AM
good thing UNI isn't coming off a huge FCS win, then. xcoolx

I could see the game going either way. I just hope it is a good one, with minimal injuries.
And I hope there is a good, fired up crowd, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I bet the players feel different given their recent struggles with FBS teams from Iowa.

I think that there is more pressure on UNI than on Montana. If UNI gets it done this week it will be a huge step towards erasing the previous long-standing relationship between the Panthers and pressure.xthumbsupx

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I bet the players feel different given their recent struggles with FBS teams from Iowa.

I think that there is more pressure on UNI than on Montana. If UNI gets it done this week it will be a huge step towards erasing the previous long-standing relationship between the Panthers and pressure.xthumbsupx

Recent struggles?

UNI is 3-3 vs ISU since 07

Houndawg
September 5th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Recent struggles?

UNI is 3-3 vs ISU since 07

Just checking to see if you're out of bed yet.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Just checking to see if you're out of bed yet.

You know damn well he does not sleep. xlolx

semobison
September 5th, 2016, 09:40 AM
And before we played ISU in 2012, and SDSU in 2013, and UNI last year when we put up 526 yards on them.

The Griz D and passing games are works in progress with the losses to graduation. The obvious strategy is to take away the run and make Bailey throw. Easier said than done.

This should be a good game.

The Griz biggest challenge on offense will be keeping their QB upright. UNI gets after the QB, leads the Valley in sacks annually. If they don't, it could get ugly!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Stitt beat an average FCS team. UNI beat a bad P5 team. EWU is much more likely to upset. Kupp is a beast.

Yes of course. It is possibly that simple. Then again, maybe not.

UNIFanSince1983
September 5th, 2016, 10:05 AM
All I know about the game is I am happy I will be in attendance!

Cleets
September 5th, 2016, 10:43 AM
UNI by 21

(You'll want to write that down)

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 10:47 AM
UNI by 21

We're ****ed

Grizalltheway
September 5th, 2016, 11:10 AM
UNI by 21

Why? Are you planning on deleting this later?

JayJ79
September 5th, 2016, 04:30 PM

by "FCS win", did you mean a win by the FCS team? I guess I usually refer to it as an "FBS win" as it was a win over an FBS team.

Houndawg
September 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM
by "FCS win", did you mean a win by the FCS team? I guess I usually refer to it as an "FBS win" as it was a win over an FBS team.wut?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 04:50 PM
UNI: 38-17

JayJ79
September 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM
wut?
you had said "a let down from UNI is possible after a huge FCS win.".

I wasn't sure what you meant by that.

fencer24
September 5th, 2016, 11:25 PM
The only thing about the Griz and Gus in particular that is for certain, is that nothing is for certain. Can the Griz roll UNI? Certainly. Could it go the other way? Same probability. But playing at home may be the difference for UNI. Unless the Iowa fan base has a home football game to go to.

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 11:36 PM
The only thing about the Griz and Gus in particular that is for certain, is that nothing is for certain. Can the Griz roll UNI? Certainly. Could it go the other way? Same probability. But playing at home may be the difference for UNI. Unless the Iowa fan base has a home football game to go to.

It's CyHawk week...in Iowa City.

If the students show up we will have 90+% capacity.

Thankfully with us beating Iowa State last week and Iowa being top 15 most people are assuming a blow out so they may drive people to go to Cedar Falls

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 11:59 PM
and UNI last year when we put up 526 yards on them.

And without Kupp in the second half. Plus we sucked.

floridagriz15
September 6th, 2016, 01:45 AM
UM: 34
UNI: 31

Hoping on a last minute FG for the Griz to maintain the 5-0 vs UNI.

Also hoping EWU and NAU can come away with wins this weekend no matter how unlikely. Going to be tough matches all the way around.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 6th, 2016, 01:57 AM
Smells like bacon..................

floridagriz15
September 6th, 2016, 02:09 AM
Smells like bacon..................

Never fails when your stirring the pot AG.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 6th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Honestly I'm not worried about how the Griz D will matchup against UNI's run game...its really strength vs strength......The Griz front 7 are very tough and fast.....Dline is very good against the run!!! Linebackers are fast, hard hitters....this should help spy on UNI's QB.....Griz secondary is essentially all Pac-12 or Big-10 transfers so the physicality shouldnt overwhelm them......

This game will come down to 2 things in my opinion

1)Can the Griz D hold the UNI run game....i think they can limit it with the LBs we have and good open field tackling from our secondary....i think the Griz do this!

2) Can our Oline give Brady time to throw...and run block???? I think we will again struggle with UNI's D-line...if Brady gets hit often the turnovers could start to fly.....

If you really watched the Griz game on Saturday it wasnt as close as it appeared....SFU has a safety that literally kept them in the game single handed....he had probably the best single performance against the GRiz ive ever seen

He had 2 INTs...one was just ridiculous...returned a kickoff for a TD...and about took two more kickoffs and punts to the house....i think he ended up with like 250 all purpose yards.....he was facinating to watch.

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I am not concerned with either one of our lines. They both just absolutely dominated Iowa State on Saturday. My only concern is the defensive backfield which did struggle against what are some pretty talented receivers from Iowa State. I didn't see all of the game, but I guess our special teams wasn't great either. The one punt I did see was terrible, but we were trying to do that running punt thing. Kuhter is a very good punter though so that doesn't concern me either.

deez_na
September 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM
alphagrizz has been pretty comical with his recent trolling. Makes for some good entertainment while at work.

clenz
September 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Honestly I'm not worried about how the Griz D will matchup against UNI's run game...its really strength vs strength......The Griz front 7 are very tough and fast.....Dline is very good against the run!!! Linebackers are fast, hard hitters....this should help spy on UNI's QB.....Griz secondary is essentially all Pac-12 or Big-10 transfers so the physicality shouldnt overwhelm them......

1)Can the Griz D hold the UNI run game....i think they can limit it with the LBs we have and good open field tackling from our secondary....i think the Griz do this!

2) Can our Oline give Brady time to throw...and run block???? I think we will again struggle with UNI's D-line...if Brady gets hit often the turnovers could start to fly.....

If you really watched the Griz game on Saturday it wasnt as close as it appeared....SFU has a safety that literally kept them in the game single handed....he had probably the best single performance against the GRiz ive ever seen

He had 2 INTs...one was just ridiculous...returned a kickoff for a TD...and about took two more kickoffs and punts to the house....i think he ended up with like 250 all purpose yards.....he was facinating to watch.
The thing to remember about UNI's ground game is that it doesn't stop.

QB Aaron Bailey is 6'2 225lbs
RB Tyvis Smith is 6'1 230lbs
RB J'Veyon Browning is 5'6 210lbs
RB Michael Malloy is 6'0 220lbs

What we saw against Iowa State was, what I call, the Adrian Peterson effect. There aren't many big runs in the first 2 quarters or so. Maybe a 10-15 yarder here or there, but that's about it other than 3-5 yard runs. However, you faced 30 run plays in the first half and no running back has more than 8 carries. By the middle of the third quarter you're still facing 5 300lb lineman and 4 running backs that are 210 plus pounds. Eventaully the 3 yard runs turn into 5 yard runs. The 5 yard runs start to hit 7 yards and then then the big plays start to happen. It's also not like Bailey and Smith are slow. They are legit 4.5-4.6 guys (Bailey might push mid to low 4.4...he had scholarship offers to every P5 school to play RB/WR but he wanted to play QB) For reference here is Bailey next to a 265lb DE for Iowa State

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/46504053f44d029f7da3566bc2801171a36ae6b9/c=0-0-2872-2159&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/09/03/IAGroup/IowaCity/636085392708507212-DSC-0705.jpg

That is exactly what we saw happen to Iowa State. They kept the ground game in check the first half, but as the game wore on we saw the OL start to move the trenches back more. We saw the runs from Bailey, Browning and Smith get just a bit longer and harder to take down.

I think Montana is the one Big Sky team build to be able to withstand the UNI ground game to a larger extent and am excited to see that play out.

Bailey is a better passer than he gets credit for. If the LB's start to cheat up UNI loves wheel routes with running backs. Scored a TD against Iowa State with one to Tyvis.

Should be a hell of a game

RedFlash
September 6th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Just my $.02 here, but a few things to keep in mind:

1.) StFU spent three weeks preparing for this game. I know for a fact that they had their kids watch hours and hours of film and I think it showed the first half that they were ready for what Montana was going to try to do;
2.) It was a completely different game in the 2nd half as Montana made some key adjustments and took advantage of the soft spots in the StFU defense;
3.) Outside of the final TD (a 73 yard pass I think) I don't think StFU had a scoring drive of more then 30 yards;
4.) If StFU doesn't have Lorenzo Jerome, this is probably a 41-14 game (at best) and no one is talking about an underwhelming performance. Jerome is legit.

Looking forward to seeing how Montana fares the rest of the season.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just my $.02 here, but a few things to keep in mind:

1.) StFU spent three weeks preparing for this game. I know for a fact that they had their kids watch hours and hours of film and I think it showed the first half that they were ready for what Montana was going to try to do;
2.) It was a completely different game in the 2nd half as Montana made some key adjustments and took advantage of the soft spots in the StFU defense;
3.) Outside of the final TD (a 73 yard pass I think) I don't think StFU had a scoring drive of more then 30 yards;
4.) If StFU doesn't have Lorenzo Jerome, this is probably a 41-14 game (at best) and no one is talking about an underwhelming performance. Jerome is legit.

Looking forward to seeing how Montana fares the rest of the season.

Agree on all points. Jerome is a stud and I'll be surprised if he isn't playing on Sundays.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM
The thing to remember about UNI's ground game is that it doesn't stop.

QB Aaron Bailey is 6'2 225lbs
RB Tyvis Smith is 6'1 230lbs
RB J'Veyon Browning is 5'6 210lbs
RB Michael Malloy is 6'0 220lbs

What we saw against Iowa State was, what I call, the Adrian Peterson effect. There aren't many big runs in the first 2 quarters or so. Maybe a 10-15 yarder here or there, but that's about it other than 3-5 yard runs. However, you faced 30 run plays in the first half and no running back has more than 8 carries. By the middle of the third quarter you're still facing 5 300lb lineman and 4 running backs that are 210 plus pounds. Eventaully the 3 yard runs turn into 5 yard runs. The 5 yard runs start to hit 7 yards and then then the big plays start to happen. It's also not like Bailey and Smith are slow. They are legit 4.5-4.6 guys (Bailey might push mid to low 4.4...he had scholarship offers to every P5 school to play RB/WR but he wanted to play QB) For reference here is Bailey next to a 265lb DE for Iowa State

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/46504053f44d029f7da3566bc2801171a36ae6b9/c=0-0-2872-2159&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/09/03/IAGroup/IowaCity/636085392708507212-DSC-0705.jpg

That is exactly what we saw happen to Iowa State. They kept the ground game in check the first half, but as the game wore on we saw the OL start to move the trenches back more. We saw the runs from Bailey, Browning and Smith get just a bit longer and harder to take down.

I think Montana is the one Big Sky team build to be able to withstand the UNI ground game to a larger extent and am excited to see that play out.

Bailey is a better passer than he gets credit for. If the LB's start to cheat up UNI loves wheel routes with running backs. Scored a TD against Iowa State with one to Tyvis.

Should be a hell of a game

As always with Stitt's offense, it'll be very important for them to not have a bunch of drives fizzle out early on. Against SFU our defense was able to bail them out long enough for them to get it together, but against UNI's offense they're going to wear out real quickly if it comes to that.

clenz
September 6th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I am not concerned with either one of our lines. They both just absolutely dominated Iowa State on Saturday. My only concern is the defensive backfield which did struggle against what are some pretty talented receivers from Iowa State. I didn't see all of the game, but I guess our special teams wasn't great either. The one punt I did see was terrible, but we were trying to do that running punt thing. Kuhter is a very good punter though so that doesn't concern me either.
The secondary worries me more than anything (outside of FG kicking). My hope is that the UNI pressure forces Gus to get through his reads faster than he wants and creates happy feet like they did with Lanning. If that doesn't happen, man it might be a long day.

The punting I think was an anomaly. Kuhter is the best punter in the league. His last punt was horrid, but they had him trying to be cute and do the rugby kick. It was a slightly shorter field and late in the game so I think they wanted him to kick a low bouncer on the run. That's not him. A punt or two earlier he sent one 58 yards, in the air, from the LOS. Well, it was probably about 64 yards in the air from the LOS but it landed in the endzone so it was only 58. He had 4 punts over 50 yards.

50 yarder fair caught at the 11
51 yarder that coverage failed on and allowed a 26 yard return...probably was a bit too low of a kick
42 yarder
38 yarder fair caught inside the 15
52 yarder that was caught inside the 20 with a 3 yard return
46 yarder from inside his own 11
58 yarder (as I said probably about 64-65 yards) that landed in the endzone
15 yarder which was the rugby style kick from midfield with 1:20 left in the game. They tried to be too cute.

Outside of that last punt he averaged 49 yards in the air on his punts and outside of the one broken return the average return was less than 6 yards.

Field goal kicking is a concern. Our kicker is a kid who transferred in from Drake, where he played soccer - not football. He has the leg, but his accuracy is an issue it appears. Maybe the fact it was his first football game in about 3 years and was infront of 61,000 at night got to him.

It's just odd going from Hallgren, Sievertson and Schmadeke to anyone else.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 6th, 2016, 12:25 PM

I agree with almost all of this. I really wonder how UNI is going to deal with our physicality? This isn't a MVC conference game this is big boy football.

Our special teams will be the difference in this one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nevadagriz
September 6th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Montana will lose by 35+
Ewu will lose by only 42, but that is because NDSU will be looking towards the Iowa game. Ndsu will probably play second stringers after 1st qtr.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 6th, 2016, 03:57 PM
As always with Stitt's offense, it'll be very important for them to not have a bunch of drives fizzle out early on. Against SFU our defense was able to bail them out long enough for them to get it together, but against UNI's offense they're going to wear out real quickly if it comes to that.

Yep...we cant give UNI any short fields when they get the ball back this weekend.....that will spell disaster.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 6th, 2016, 04:00 PM

Didn't get to watch your whole game. Thought last year your D-line was pretty dang good but another poster, don't remember who, had said that they thought they saw some O and D line regression under stitt. What are your thoughts on this? Just noise?

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Montana will lose by 35+
Ewu will lose by only 42, but that is because NDSU will be looking towards the Iowa game. Ndsu will probably play second stringers after 1st qtr.

Sounds about right ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Jerry Louie-McGee

Thinking he's gonna have a good day.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Jerry Louie-McGee

Thinking he's gonna have a good day.

I think he'll have far more good days than bad in a Griz uniform.

JayJ79
September 6th, 2016, 04:14 PM
J1.) StFU spent three weeks preparing for this game. I know for a fact that they had their kids watch hours and hours of film.

Game film/tapes and UNI/Montana. Always an interesting mix...

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Didn't get to watch your whole game. Thought last year your D-line was pretty dang good but another poster, don't remember who, had said that they thought they saw some O and D line regression under stitt. What are your thoughts on this? Just noise?

Still early, but they looked solid both against the run and rushing the QB. This week will obviously be a much tougher test in that regard.

clenz
September 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/o-ECwjcVgBM/hqdefault.jpg

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 6th, 2016, 04:22 PM
OL still sucks may not be as bad as last year but still not good at all. We might as well not have a RT, he gets worked inside...outside and bullrushed. It's embarrassing.

DLINE is better this year across the board and depth, I think we have 4 DEs that would start on most other teams in the BSC.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2016, 04:26 PM

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2016, 04:31 PM

There has been improvement under Stitt if truth be told. If you look at the size of the fellers he was given vs. what he went out and got..things look much better.

Trust me, we are used to 305-325 pounders on that line. We are just now starting to get back to that. The Oline recruiting wasn't Delaney's strength I don't think.

Our Dline is fine.

SeattleGriz
September 6th, 2016, 07:36 PM
There has been improvement under Stitt if truth be told. If you look at the size of the fellers he was given vs. what he went out and got..things look much better.

Trust me, we are used to 305-325 pounders on that line. We are just now starting to get back to that. The Oline recruiting wasn't Delaney's strength I don't think.

Our Dline is fine.
Nor QBs.

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2016, 12:11 AM
without thinking about it much, this is Northern Iowa's game to lose.

Houndawg
September 7th, 2016, 03:11 AM
you had said "a let down from UNI is possible after a huge FCS win.".

I wasn't sure what you meant by that.

My mistake, I meant huge FBS win.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 7th, 2016, 08:27 AM
In Minnesota right now waiting for my flight to Cedar Rapids......this humidity is doing nothing for my hair

clenz
September 7th, 2016, 09:11 AM
In Minnesota right now waiting for my flight to Cedar Rapids......this humidity is doing nothing for my hair

It's been thunderstorming since about 3AM down here. Humidity in the 90s.

You're going to love it

TheRevSFA
September 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM
To all going to this, I hope you enjoy.

Drink one for the Rev

Catbooster
September 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM

I would suggest a man-bun to deal with that problem.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 7th, 2016, 10:53 AM
When I get my bottle from you, you are getting punched in the arm for that comment

BadlandsGrizFan
September 7th, 2016, 10:57 AM

O line should be better...theyre older and bigger this year, they did an OK job against SFU....but not great.....overall they should be better than last year....

Dline as tough as it is to improve on last years...this one, many think will be better. We have great pass rushers and I think were stronger up the middle this year.....some really rock solid dudes in the middle of that d line, some tranfers.....I loved how they played against SFU...high energy swarmed to the ball and they were pretty disruptive in the backfield. Im not worried about the D line at all.

UNIFanSince1983
September 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM
O line should be better...theyre older and bigger this year, they did an OK job against SFU....but not great.....overall they should be better than last year....

Dline as tough as it is to improve on last years...this one, many think will be better. We have great pass rushers and I think were stronger up the middle this year.....some really rock solid dudes in the middle of that d line, some tranfers.....I loved how they played against SFU...high energy swarmed to the ball and they were pretty disruptive in the backfield. Im not worried about the D line at all.

Sounds like it will be a strength against a strength with the UNI oline and running game against the Montana dline. Should be interesting to watch. Can't wait until Saturday. So glad I chose this game as one of the two I come back for! Should be a great one!

clenz
September 7th, 2016, 11:28 AM
It's like the place knew who was coming into town.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/c909f4708d5918a81ae999b2c16c5927.jpg

POD Knows
September 7th, 2016, 12:31 PM
It's like the place knew who was coming into town.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/c909f4708d5918a81ae999b2c16c5927.jpg

That is classic.

Bisonoline
September 7th, 2016, 01:04 PM

I hate it when that happens.

I can see why you are so concerned considering your hair is always so well coiffed.

fencer24
September 9th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Hard to believe that there is no interest in this game on this board for the last two days. Either everyone in Griz land has surrendered already, or UNI fans have no concerns and even less interest.

Thumper 76
September 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Hard to believe that there is no interest in this game on this board for the last two days. Either everyone in Griz land has surrendered already, or UNI fans have no concerns and even less interest.

The only game that's gotten more interest has been the NDSU EWU game from what I can tell so I'm not sure what you're talking about?

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 9th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Its not that there is no interest............its just the real fans are in Iowa drinking not posting..................

gsf23nd
September 9th, 2016, 03:26 PM
62-12 UNI

Grizalltheway
September 9th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Its not that there is no interest............its just the real fans are in Iowa drinking not posting..................

I can see that

clenz
September 9th, 2016, 03:32 PM

I'm on my way to CF now.

I have a present for you.

BisonFan02
September 9th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I'm on my way to CF now.

I have a present for you.

If it's not a flaming bag of ****.....or some Casey's pizza......GTFO. xlolx

Grizalltheway
September 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM
62-12 UNI

Has UNI ever scored 60 points?

clenz
September 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM
If it's not a flaming bag of ****.....or some Casey's pizza......GTFO. xlolx

Too much of it, much like too much Caseys pizza, will make it easy to have a bag full of **** to light on fire

BisonFan02
September 9th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Too much of it, much like too much Caseys pizza, will ale it easy to have a bag full of **** to light on fire

It's only fitting since Grizo won't be there.....burn one for the hogs that are with us no more.

GetEmGriz
September 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Not sure, but they sure as hell have never scored more than 21 against Montana. xcoffeex

Schism55
September 9th, 2016, 05:24 PM
62-12 UNI
I needed a good chuckle, thanks man!
/hi-5

JayJ79
September 9th, 2016, 05:58 PM

scoring over 60 pts in a football game is only for people trying to compensate for something in their anatomy.
or teams that don't know how to play defense.

neverobeyed
September 9th, 2016, 08:40 PM

It's been a while ...

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/n/northern_iowa/most_points.php

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM
We're too busy having fun to worry about x's and o's

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2016, 08:29 AM
On my way into town last night we passed a Griz fan coming into Cedar Falls. Big truck with Griz plates and Griz stuff plastered all over the truck. Was that anyone on here?

Also it is gameday!!!

clenz
September 10th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I love jäger.

I hate mornings after jäger.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I love jäger.

See for me it's the ridiculous amount of cigarettes that I smoke with the Jäger that kills me.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I love jäger.

Why not just grab a gallon or two of E85 while getting your casey's pizza fix? Same thing, just without the pretty bottle.

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Stop talking about the holiness known as Casey's Breakfast Pizza. Now I need it and I do not want to walk 3 blocks to the Casey's next to the Fargodome.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2016, 10:21 AM
The guys still have not tried Casey's pizza. We told them they had to wait until after the game so they didn't give the Griz that Casey's magic.

h5322rsh
September 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Funny Montana is traveling to lowly Iowa to play, seems like they should have bought out the game and scheduled Chadron State.

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2016, 10:28 AM
The guys still have not tried Casey's pizza. We told them they had to wait until after the game so they didn't give the Griz that Casey's magic.

??? One does not simply go to a MVFC stadium and still not have Breakfast Pizza. Though I do recognize not wanting to give them any advantage.

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Funny Montana is traveling to lowly Iowa to play, seems like they should have bought out the game and scheduled Chadron State.

What is this, teams that have never beaten Montana solidarity?

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM

You still need it to be a breakfast pizza for their first time....

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Wide open TD pass, 7-0 Griz.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 04:18 PM
my first time seeing this louis-mcgee kid, i'm digging it.

chattownmocs
September 10th, 2016, 04:19 PM

uofmman1122
September 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM
JLM is the truth.

And holy crap we actually have a kicker!

floridagriz15
September 10th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Montana has a kicker, 10-0 Grizz

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 04:37 PM
not meaning too much disrespect, but im kinda ready for the Nguyen era to be over.

grizband
September 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Don't understand those play calls on 3rd & 4th and one fur the Griz...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM
The defensive stand on 3rd & 4th down has seemed to energize the Panthers.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 04:47 PM
not meaning too much disrespect, but im kinda ready for the Nguyen era to be over.

I've always been kind of a Nguyen fan, from afar. Scrappy back. Defiantely not a between the tackles kind of runner.

grizband
September 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Terrible pi call!

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Head linesman - learn to crouch more so I can see the goal line replay.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 05:01 PM
big stand griz.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Nice soccer injury by Gus out of the endzone on second down run

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 05:07 PM
If there is an illegal formation on MT, can UNI make them kick it again? Is that an option?

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 05:22 PM
damn LOUIS-MCGEE punt return TD.

really likin this lil dude

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Punt return for TD by JLM. 17-7 Griz.

Bisonator
September 10th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Didn't see this coming. Wtf does Montana have over UNI.xcoolx

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 05:27 PM
MT defense is playing run game very aggressive. UNI special teams have been shaky at best, for second week in a row.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 05:28 PM
UNI get ur **** together

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 05:35 PM
UNI get ur **** together
Already preparing for the "UNI isn't really that good" rationalizations.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 05:35 PM

Nah it'll be that UNI played a bad game ;)

Daytripper
September 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Letdown after a big win is always possibility.

X-Factor
September 10th, 2016, 05:38 PM
More like realizations that Iowa State is as bad as they always are, irrespective of UNI being the one that beat them this time.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
i expect UNI coming back strong 2nd half. hang in dere griz gawd dammit

uofmman1122
September 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Surprisingly good half by us.

Need to cut down on the mistakes, but it's nice that UNI doesn't seem to want to capitalize on anything we do wrong. lol

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 05:55 PM
More like realizations that Iowa State is as bad as they always are, irrespective of UNI being the one that beat them this time.

Nobody realized that when they were predicting a UNI blowout?

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Nobody realized that when they were predicting a UNI blowout?
Me . still think its a five point game if UNI gets out of its own way.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Me . still think its a five point game if UNI gets out of its own way.

i agree and i think they will.

Prime Power
September 10th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Wow...Bailey is a horrible passer.

Prime Power
September 10th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Wow...Bailey is a horrible passer.

Nevermind...that is a compliment.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 06:57 PM
UNI hasn't had a good pocket passer since we lost the NC game to Appy State. Farley is enamored with the dual threat concept.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 07:09 PM
UNI can barely pass. That kick return TD is looking bigger all the time. otherwise is a six point game.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Now a six point game. Bailey scores a passing TD finally - 12/31

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM
UNI hasn't had a good pocket passer since we lost the NC game to Appy State. Farley is enamored with the dual threat concept.

Dual threat implies that he can throw.....

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Dual threat implies that he can throw.....

Notice the most important word in that sentence - concept

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 07:34 PM

I see what you did there, now.

Prime Power
September 10th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Lol......

- - - Updated - - -

Cmon...pull it out here UNI!!

Prime Power
September 10th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Nevermind

uofmman1122
September 10th, 2016, 07:42 PM
6-0!!!!

Suck it, MVFC!!

SUUTbird
September 10th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Way to go Montana!

X-Factor
September 10th, 2016, 07:44 PM
6-0!!!!

Suck it, MVFC!!

You're guys have UNIs number, that is for sure.

uofmman1122
September 10th, 2016, 07:45 PM
In all fairness, that was a pretty ugly game.

Hopefully the Griz defense will finally get some respect.

Good game, UNI. Really hope we don't have to play you guys again in the playoffs.

Cleets
September 10th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Neither quarterback is as good as advertised... In fact they both kinda suck

Grizalltheway
September 10th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Neither quarterback is as good as advertised... In fact they both kinda suck

Nice damage control

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Good job MT - the initial tidal wave and advantage on ST was the difference. UNI D definitely won the second half. UNI Offense couldn't get out of their own way.

Bisonator
September 10th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Wow Montana owns UNI. xnodx

Red & Black
September 10th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Nice win for the Big Sky. Hopefully we can return the favor next week.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 07:53 PM
MT had 206 yards of total offense. And won. Crazy

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM
that wasn't pretty but we'll take the W. more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. i was sweatin' at the end there...

i'd love to see gus complete some passes in the next game tho. that looked real bad.

uofmman1122
September 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I'm really hoping the UNI defense is just that good, but I have a bad feeling about our offense.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 07:55 PM
double post

fencer24
September 10th, 2016, 08:04 PM

And we lost the TOP stat too. I wonder how many points that is worth?

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
If you told me you held the opposing team to 200 total yards of offense, I would take that ANY day.

fencer24
September 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
UNI by 21

Okay, I have it written down. Now what?

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Special Teams was absolutely the difference in the game. That return man for Montana was really good! Made so many people miss on the 3 that he got to return. Then our terrible kicker was terrible again.

Montana's D was really good! Dominated our O Line a lot of the game. Was very ugly boring game. Congrats to Montana. And we are still winless against the Griz.

fencer24
September 10th, 2016, 08:33 PM
That huge wind you feel blowing over Iowa is the exhale of surprise by most Griz fans. I wanted to believe, but wasn't sure. UNI is one heck of a football team.

Silenoz
September 10th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Good god. I'll take it though

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Also can I ask what is special about 37 for the Griz? Saw a bunch of fans with 37 either on jerseys or shirts or even a flag.

veinup
September 10th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Also can I ask what is special about 37 for the Griz? Saw a bunch of fans with 37 either on jerseys or shirts or even a flag.

37 is always worn by a montana born player, and passed down by the current wearer to whoever he chooses. it's like .. a special honorary montana number.

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2016, 08:54 PM
37 is always worn by a montana born player, and passed down by the current wearer to whoever he chooses. it's like .. a special honorary montana number.

Awesome. I figured it was something, but just didn't ever know.

BisonTru
September 10th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Son of a *****. GD UNI.

How do you shutdown Stitt's offense, and then fail to score points? You had to have had a ton of potential drives to score points.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Son of a *****. GD UNI.

How do you shutdown Stitt's offense, and then fail to score points? You had to have had a ton of potential drives to score points.

Apparently Iowa State's collective offensive suck ass is contagious.

Lehigh'98
September 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Do the UNI fans think the offense is improved from last year. Was impressed with their D in the playoffs, offense was meh.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Do the UNI fans think the offense is improved from last year. Was impressed with their D in the playoffs, offense was meh.

I would say defense almost as good as last year (check back after EWU game). Special teams is much worse. Offense is probably about the same.

Opponent's defensive scheme should be to pack the box and/or blitz, and make Aaron Bailey's arm beat you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 09:50 PM

Wow....only 206?.....cannot complain about the defense. I think Farley would take that any day.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Missed FG, avoided at least one, if not 2 other FG attempts (starting kicker is 1-4 in FG attempts in two games, I think). MT had a crazy punt return for TD.

Found ways on multiple "drives" on offense to end up needing 20+ yards for first down without a sack or fumble. All on penalties.

Carter Schulte DE had 2 sacks, 5.5 TFLs, and 10 total tackles. Being double teamed most of the night.

MT found a way to win. Farley found another way to finish 8-3 in regular season. And a 2nd or 3rd round exit.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Missed FG, avoided at least one, if not 2 other FG attempts (starting kicker is 1-4 in FG attempts in two games, I think). MT had a crazy punt return for TD.

Found ways on multiple "drives" on offense to end up needing 20+ yards for first down without a sack or fumble. All on penalties.

Carter Schulte DE had 2 sacks, 5.5 TFLs, and 10 total tackles. Being double teamed most of the night.

MT found a way to win. Farley found another way to finish 8-3 in regular season. And a 2nd or 3rd round exit.

I bet he's an AA this year. He was a beast against the Bison last year...twice.

CrunchGriz
September 10th, 2016, 10:05 PM

I have a feeling that won't be the last time JLM takes a crazy return to the house. Just the first. He's been doing that to the Griz defense ever since spring. Red shirt frosh. Love it.

Starting defensive and Ryan Johnson said earlier this week that he's glad that they don't have to chase him around anymore, and some other defense has to.

PantherRob82
UNI is the best. We outgained them.

ALPHAGRIZ1
I love jäger.

Keep it up dickbag.....

CrunchGriz
September 10th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Well, to be fair, Montana did sack Bailey six times. Which often put UNI in a big hole.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 10:24 PM
without thinking about it much, this is Northern Iowa's game to lose.

told ya so

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 10:27 PM
MT's plan worked. Force Bailey to pass. Unfortunately the number of false starts, holding calls, etc. were on UNI. Plus the OCs calling downfield throws when UNI's line often couldn't hold pass protection for 2 seconds, what do you expect?

dewey
September 10th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Congratulations to the Grizzlies on a big win today.

Dewey

Houndawg
September 10th, 2016, 10:33 PM

yes, but it took them four games...xlolx

dwtime
September 10th, 2016, 10:38 PM
What happened in this game? I saw UNI inside the 20 a bunch of times even inside the 10 and score stayed the same with them having 7 points......

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2016, 10:40 PM
"Dual threat" QB

SUUTbird
September 10th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Montanas defense was impressive, not looking forward to seeing them in a few weeks in Missoula.

clenz
September 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Keep it up dickbag.....

Done.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160911/09a8165552e684687337b4ac82e6176d.jpg

Houndawg
September 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM
In the Griz favor is that teams improve the most from week one to week two and that a let down from UNI is possible after a huge FBS win. Other than that

...already in mid-season form...xcoolx

clenz
September 10th, 2016, 11:17 PM
"Dual threat" QB

Bailey threw a bunch of beautiful balls over the top that Montana's DBs made great plays on. #1 for Montana had 4 or 5 on his own that probably saved 75-100 total yards and one or two TDs on.

The problem was the 2 or 3 teams UNI WRs had the DB beat he did over throw.

I knew as soon as I saw the final stats Bailey would be beaten down by Panther fans. His stat line was ugly but that's because the plays made by Montana's D. That was as good of a throwing performance he's ever had, honestly.

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Honestly Montana was continually blitzing, and we continually tried to go deep. The play calling was not setup to help him at all today in the passing game. And like Clenz said there were a few times where #1 from Montana just made outstanding defensive plays. We never once tried to set up a screen when they were clearly blitzing. Terrible terrible play calling is what I saw today.

polsongrizz
September 10th, 2016, 11:51 PM
UNI by 10+ Book it.xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcr azyx

Ronin
September 11th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Was impressed by Montana's punt returner. That kid has some moves.

UNI another lackluster performance and a dismal season awaits. UNI continues to try to rely on defense only (Farley is a defense guy). The offense once again goes into the season without a QB or an Offensive line. I think this will be the last game I attend this year as I can't see wasting money on a team that has such poor coaching.

Until Farley pulls his head out. I'll bid my time until B-Ball season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Was impressed by Montana's punt returner. That kid has some moves.

UNI another lackluster performance and a dismal season awaits. UNI continues to try to rely on defense only (Farley is a defense guy). The offense once again goes into the season without a QB or an Offensive line. I think this will be the last game I attend this year as I can't see wasting money on a team that has such poor coaching.

Until Farley pulls his head out. I'll bid my time until B-Ball season.

UNI will improve as the season goes on. To much talent not to. This is only 1 game.

JayJ79
September 11th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I knew that UNI was likely screwed when I saw everyone predicting them to win big.
And now PN is filled with Chicken Littles claiming the sky is falling and the season is over after one non-conference loss to a perennial power.

Drblankstare
September 11th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Was this on ESPN3. I'd like to watch a reply later today?

POD Knows
September 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazy x

I resigned from my odds making job, effective today.

Way to make me look bad, UNI, another reason to hate you as if there weren't enough already.

X-Factor
September 11th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Yes

Drblankstare
September 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I resigned from my odds making job, effective today.

Why to make me look bad, UNI, another reason to hate you as if there weren't enough already.

UNI only cares about beating Iowa St and NDSU I'm not completely sure why they even bother to play the other games :D

POD Knows
September 11th, 2016, 08:56 AM
UNI only cares about beating Iowa St and NDSU I'm not completely sure why they even bother to play the other games :D

xlolx Well, it is important to have goals and be focused on those goals. It will give me great pleasure to drop them a few spots in my poll.

Grizalltheway
September 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM

Yep

veinup
September 11th, 2016, 09:50 AM
when you watch the replay tell me if you think the UNI WR who caught the ball on his knees out of bounds in the 4th quarter was actually in or not. xconfusedx

BisonBacker
September 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx
UNI by 21

xrolleyesx

centennial
September 11th, 2016, 10:12 AM
UNI can we borrow your DC to teach ours not to play prevent all game? In lieu our QB coach can come help pick a real QB, move Bailey to RB.

PantherRob82
September 11th, 2016, 10:16 AM
when you watch the replay tell me if you think the UNI WR who caught the ball on his knees out of bounds in the 4th quarter was actually in or not. xconfusedx

He was OOB. clenz and I were in the north endzone and were hoping they wouldn't review it, but the angles they had couldn't overturn it.

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM

OOB fo sho.

As Rob said we were standing right next to each other looking direction down the sideline.

Thankfully there wasn't a camera angle down the sideline facing south.

To be fair, the FG called no good was right of my face. Pretty sure it was actually good. Neither changes the outcome of the game but worth mentioning.

Also, how the ****was there no personal foul I the fair catch in that one punt for UNI. That could have had a major impact on the game, I'd argue it did.

grizband
September 11th, 2016, 10:45 AM
OOB fo sho.

As Rob said we were standing right next to each other looking direction down the sideline.

Thankfully there wasn't a camera angle down the sideline facing south.

To be fair, the FG called no good was right of my face. Pretty sure it was actually good. Neither changes the outcome of the game but worth mentioning.

Also, how the ****was there no personal foul I the fair catch in that one punt for UNI. That could have had a major impact on the game, I'd argue it did.
Not sure on the no call on that point, Clenz. I would like to know why no pass interference was called when the UNI linebacker took out Nguyen on a pass play deep in Griz territory, before he even had a chance to catch the ball.

A few great scratcher calls on both sides, tbh...

veinup
September 11th, 2016, 10:45 AM
it's funny because on the espn3 broadcast they were making a big deal out of how many cameras and angles they had there, yet somehow they didn't have the right angle on that play..

agree that there should've been a personal foul on the punt. clear as day.

Bison56
September 11th, 2016, 10:47 AM
He was out of bounds.

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM
it's funny because on the espn3 broadcast they were making a big deal out of how many cameras and angles they had there, yet somehow they didn't have the right angle on that play..

We don't have any good sideline or end-line angles because of how tight everything is to the field.

I also feel like we were missing about 4 cameras we normally have.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 11th, 2016, 11:26 AM
One thing I learned is we are not a very good football team. Oh and never eat pizza in an Uber.......

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 11:42 AM

The reason I'm so "upset" about that lack of PF is:

That PF gets called and UNI starts that drive from the Montana 35 and not the 50. Even if that series unfolds exactly the way where it's 4th and 25 UNI is then punting from the 50 and not UNIs 35. That means the punt is completely different. That means the chances that the tiny jukey mother ****er doesn't get to break that big return for a TD.

And who knows how each team reacts to starting at be 35 rather than the 50

He called fair catch instantly and was still hit a full second after he caught it. IDGAF of he didn't take him to the ground. He made contact after the fair catch was called for and made. That's a damn flag.

Schism55
September 11th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Congrats to the Griz for a big win.
Jerry Louis Marie name is begging to me made into a song, get on it griz fans!
Aaron Bailey, oof. He was spraying passes wilder than my cock during morning pee after a night of vigorous shagging.

Grizalltheway
September 11th, 2016, 11:53 AM
The reason I'm so "upset" about that lack of PF is:

That PF gets called and UNI starts that drive from the Montana 35 and not the 50. Even if that series unfolds exactly the way where it's 4th and 25 UNI is then punting from the 50 and not UNIs 35. That means the punt is completely different. That means the chances that the tiny jukey mother ****er doesn't get to break that big return for a TD.

And who knows how each team reacts to starting at be 35 rather than the 50

He called fair catch instantly and was still hit a full second after he caught it. IDGAF of he didn't take him to the ground. He made contact after the fair catch was called for and made. That's a damn flag.
I'm not sure exactly how the rule is written, but isn't the a player supposed to clearly wave his hand above his head on a fair catch? He did a half assed little thing at about waist height that I'm sure the Griz player didn't even see.

AshevilleApp2
September 11th, 2016, 11:54 AM
When do we get the party pics?

uni88
September 11th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Bailey threw a bunch of beautiful balls over the top that Montana's DBs made great plays on. #1 for Montana had 4 or 5 on his own that probably saved 75-100 total yards and one or two TDs on.

The problem was the 2 or 3 teams UNI WRs had the DB beat he did over throw.

I knew as soon as I saw the final stats Bailey would be beaten down by Panther fans. His stat line was ugly but that's because the plays made by Montana's D. That was as good of a throwing performance he's ever had, honestly.
This!

While Bailey's performance wasn't great it was a huge improvement over where he was last year as a passer. If he makes similar strides over the course of this season as he did last then I think we'll be in good shape by the end of the season.

Congrats to Montana! It was an ugly game and the Griz earned the win. Their defense was excellent with the D Line putting pressure on Bailey and the D Backs making big plays. Special Teams was the difference.

I actually feel pretty good about this UNI team. Both teams showed some positives and learned what they need to work on and both can be contenders in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how UNI does it against Kupp & Co. next weekend.

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure exactly how the rule is written, but isn't the a player supposed to clearly wave his hand above his head on a fair catch? He did a half assed little thing at about waist height that I'm sure the Griz player didn't even see.

He made the signal while sprinting forward to catch the ball. It was the exact same signal he uses all night on every punt.

Doesn't matter if the Griz player didn't see it, that isn't part of the rule. He also hit him after the whistle blew and after a fair catch was made.

There is zero ways to make that missed call "okay"

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM
This!

While Bailey's performance wasn't great it was a huge improvement over where he was last year as a passer. If he makes similar strides over the course of this season as he did last then I think we'll be in good shape by the end of the season.

Congrats to Montana! It was an ugly game and the Griz earned the win. Their defense was excellent with the D Line putting pressure on Bailey and the D Backs making big plays. Special Teams was the difference.

I actually feel pretty good about this UNI team. Both teams showed some positives and learned what they need to work on and both can be contenders in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how UNI does it against Kupp & Co. next weekend.

I'm going to put chances of Kupp playing at near zero.

I was pissed during the game. Alphagriz1 has in game texts from me prove that.

The more I reflect on it the better I feel about the season. Bailey, even though Pike hates him, made throws last night and Montana's DBs made plays. Yes, he missed some but if the DBs don't make the plays they do his line is probably 20 or 21 of 36 for 250+ yards and a couple scores.

He did that while having about 1.3 seconds to make his reads.

PantherRob82
September 11th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I also thought Bailey made some decent throws and you can read threads from last year showing I never defended him.

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I also thought Bailey made some decent throws and you can read threads from last year showing I never defended him.

Same here. I was as anti Bailey through most of last year as anyone. He gets way too much **** from UNI fans that only watch the ball when watching games. They don't watch anything else develop. They don't watch how well a secondary might play the pass

Bailey threw the vast majority of his passes last night as well as yo could. The Montana secondary is just really damn good.

Also, Bailey can run and isn't a white pocket passer. Thus, UNI fans will always hate him.

As I said at Los Cabos last night, I hate our fan base most of the time.

JayJ79
September 11th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Also, Bailey can run and isn't a white pocket passer. Thus, UNI fans will always hate him.
Not sure if it's really a racial thing, or more of a dislike of playing style.
But "the world may never know", as I don't know if UNI will ever play with a white "dual threat" QB or a black "pocket passer" QB, to make any comparison of reactions.

clenz
September 11th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Not sure if it's really a racial thing, or more of a dislike of playing style.
But "the world may never know", as I don't know if UNI will ever play with a white "dual threat" QB or a black "pocket passer" QB, to make any comparison of reactions.

Pat Grace, outside of being a hot head, was more or less universally loved/liked at a quarterback.

BisonFan02
September 11th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Same here. I was as anti Bailey through most of last year as anyone. He gets way too much **** from UNI fans that only watch the ball when watching games. They don't watch anything else develop. They don't watch how well a secondary might play the pass

Bailey threw the vast majority of his passes last night as well as yo could. The Montana secondary is just really damn good.

Truth. Not all of us have the same perspective as you regarding UNI's love of awful white QBs....since you know... :D

fencer24
September 11th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Truth. Not all of us have the same perspective as you regarding UNI's love of awful white QBs....since you know... :D

Yeah, whatever happened to him? I thought he played at Wa Griz, but I could be mistaken.xlolx

JayJ79
September 11th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Pat Grace, outside of being a hot head, was more or less universally loved/liked at a quarterback.

I seem to remember plenty of complaints about him.

besides, Grace had better passing numbers and didn't rush as often as Bailey.

THE DANIMAL
September 11th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Congrats to the Griz for a big win.
Jerry Louis Marie name is begging to me made into a song, get on it griz fans!
Aaron Bailey, oof. He was spraying passes wilder than my cock during morning pee after a night of vigorous shagging.

http://youtu.be/4V1p1dM3snQ I have feeling this song will be playing before every punt return from here on out at Washington a Grizzly Stadium.

kalm
September 11th, 2016, 05:49 PM

We won't know how good Montana's secondary is until the NAU game.

Oddly enough there are really only 3 good passing attacks remaining in the BSC this year.