PDA

View Full Version : Richmond over Virginia

spdram
September 3rd, 2016, 07:13 PM
Felt this one deserved its own thread for a lot of reasons. score 37-20 was not that close, Richmond controlled all game from opening drive. Had to beat the refs also 8 penalties against Richmond, none against UVA. refs also threw out one of our starting D line men on a bogus targeting call (IMHO) early in the 2nd quarter. First win against Hoos in 70 years, 10 game losing streak -- UR replacing one of its best running backs ever, out ran UVA 187 to 38 yards -- total offense 524 to 302, much of the Hoos yardage after Spiders went to backups -- possession UR 39:26 to 20:34 -- just a few cherry picked stats, another great day to be a Spider!

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2016, 07:19 PM
Felt this one deserved its own thread for a lot of reasons. score 37-20 was not that close, Richmond controlled all game from opening drive. Had to beat the refs also 8 penalties against Richmond, none against UVA. refs also threw out one of our starting D line men on a bogus targeting call (IMHO) early in the 2nd quarter. First win against Hoos in 70 years, 10 game losing streak -- UR replacing one of its best running backs ever, out ran UVA 187 to 38 yards -- total offense 524 to 302, much of the Hoos yardage after Spiders went to backups -- possession UR 39:26 to 20:34 -- just a few cherry picked stats, another great day to be a Spider!

Complete bitch slapping of Virginia, it wasn't as close as the score indicated and the score indicated it was a blow out. Richmond looked great, it was men vs. boys out there, probably the most physically dominant performance I have seen in an FCS/FBS game. I watched the first half and part of the third quarter, Virginia has two yards rushing in the first half.

Congrats to the Spiders.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2016, 07:24 PM
Congrats to the Spiders

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Great win by the Spiders! Colgate will have its work cut out for them in a few weeks.

32counter
September 3rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
We are clearly looking for a rematch with Bizon.It's our focus with that goal.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 3rd, 2016, 07:39 PM
Great game for the Spiders! Congrats

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2016, 07:54 PM
I was impressed. Based on the 1st game, I'd say Richmond looks like the best team in FCS thus far.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
Wow, pretty dang impressive.

FargoBison
September 3rd, 2016, 08:06 PM
Congrats Spiders!

ngineer
September 3rd, 2016, 08:16 PM
I don't consider this an upset. I picked Richmond on my "card" at home that I do each week with my wife! But more glad to see the dominance of the win!

Matt
September 3rd, 2016, 08:36 PM
Agree with earlier post. I'm not sure there's been a more dominant performance by an FCS team against an FBS opponent. I know we will lose a winnable game or two this season because we are Richmond, but I've never felt better about our playoff hopes. Defense was dominant, Lauletta was basically perfect. What a game

Matt
September 3rd, 2016, 08:39 PM
PS the ejection in our game was garbage. The targeting rule is a great one but I have yet to see it applied correctly.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2016, 08:51 PM
Congrats to the Spiders. Nice work. I picked you too.

Da Bison
September 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Congrats Spiders!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Green1
September 3rd, 2016, 09:08 PM
Well done Spiders!

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 3rd, 2016, 09:33 PM
This one feels good.

I'll add more analysis after my headache subsides tomorrow afternoon.

laxVik
September 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
Congrats!

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2016, 10:00 PM
congrats Richmond, not just win but win convincingly !

UNIFanSince1983
September 3rd, 2016, 10:01 PM
Agree with earlier post. I'm not sure there's been a more dominant performance by an FCS team against an FBS opponent. I know we will lose a winnable game or two this season because we are Richmond, but I've never felt better about our playoff hopes. Defense was dominant, Lauletta was basically perfect. What a game

As dominating as this was the 66-7 drubbing that PSU put on North Texas last year was much more dominating.

Matt
September 3rd, 2016, 10:09 PM
As dominating as this was the 66-7 drubbing that PSU put on North Texas last year was much more dominating.
I stand corrected.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2016, 10:28 PM
My poll will be adjusted accordingly. Congrats Spiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyx

dewey
September 3rd, 2016, 10:49 PM
The top 5 to 10 of the poll is interesting now. Richmond with big win, EWU looks to win at Washington State, UNI will beat Iowa State, South Dakota State gives #13 TCU all they want. Plus Richmond rolls Virginia.

Does NDSU lose #1 ranking?

Dewey

Bisonator
September 3rd, 2016, 11:01 PM
The top 5 to 10 of the poll is interesting now. Richmond with big win, EWU looks to win at Washington State, UNI will beat Iowa State, South Dakota State gives #13 TCU all they want. Plus Richmond rolls Virginia.

Dewey
Why?

thebootfitter
September 3rd, 2016, 11:03 PM
I don't see any justification for that yet. But really the next five to ten or so are all knocking.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2016, 11:06 PM
Why?

If voting is based on how good teams are at any given moment, it is possible.

Bisonator
September 3rd, 2016, 11:08 PM

NDSU beat the #6 team correct?

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2016, 11:09 PM
NDSU beat the #6 team correct?

It's all relative.

dewey
September 3rd, 2016, 11:09 PM

Agreed. Wins by Richmond and UNI were more impressive. I am not saying I will vote others ahead I am just saying there is more justification if others do.

Also EWU beat a top 25 or Fri get top 25 Washington State team.

Dewey

clenz
September 3rd, 2016, 11:12 PM
NDSU lost my #1 vote. Not because if what they did, but what I saw from a team like Richmond today.

dewey
September 3rd, 2016, 11:17 PM
NDSU lost my #1 vote. Not because if what they did, but what I saw from a team like Richmond today.

I can't argue with that at all. Richmond throttled Virginia. Plus SDSU gives #13 TCU all they want and more.

Dewey

clenz
September 3rd, 2016, 11:30 PM
I can't argue with that at all. Richmond throttled Virginia. Plus SDSU gives #13 TCU all they want and more.

Dewey

Yep.

NDSU won't fall past 3, if past 2, but what I saw from UNI and UR (who I had 2 and 3 preseason) is tough to ignore at this moment

Wisent
September 3rd, 2016, 11:32 PM

The thing is NDSU beat all those teams, except EWU, less than a year ago, including routs of South Dakota State and Richmond, and two wins over UNI. NDSU is #1 until someone beats them.

Bisonator
September 3rd, 2016, 11:33 PM
The thing is NDSU beat all those teams, except EWU, less than a year ago, including routs of South Dakota State and Richmond, and two wins over UNI. NDSU is #1 until someone beats them.
LOL last year means nothing at this point.

clenz
September 3rd, 2016, 11:34 PM

What does last year have to do with it? I didn't know last year's players and rosters were playing this year.

Good to know.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2016, 11:34 PM

Last season... It's a new year.

dewey
September 3rd, 2016, 11:36 PM
Last season... It's a new year.

Agreed! As far as I know NDSU doesn't get any points for winning 5 straight championships. Is there a mental edge....perhaps.

Dewey

MacThor
September 4th, 2016, 02:11 AM
That last garbage TD bu UVA really hacked me off. I had UR +14.5 in my cover5 pool and could have had 37.5 points.

Hey, gotta find something to nitpick. 😀

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Dewey

This was discussed in the parking lot post game and it was generally agreed on our end that the Bison are #1 until they get beaten.

The Yo Show
September 4th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Good win for Richmond!

Catsfan90
September 4th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Its simple math. NDSU has won the Championship 5 years in a row, so until someone beats them 6 times in the final they remain at #1. Get with the program! xdrunkyx

mainejeff
September 4th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I don't have a problem with basing pre-season polls on last season, but last season only means something until the first games are played.

POD Knows
September 4th, 2016, 08:25 AM

North Texas is not Virginia, but yea, that was a big time ass kicking. The NDSU/Iowa State game was an ass kicking as well.

catamount man
September 4th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Good job Richmond and UNI, EWU, Albany. Hope someday my CATS will get an FBS win. We are 0-52.

paward
September 4th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I don't have a problem with basing pre-season polls on last season, but last season only means something until the first games are played.

∆ my thoughts as well

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Every year it happens...someone gets an early nice-looking win over an FBS team and there's a knee-jerk reaction to jack them up sky-high in the polls. Think Youngstown State versus Pitt in 2012 or McNeese State and South Florida in 2013. Heck NDSU's dominating win at Iowa State in 2014 pretty much belied how they would be that season (was arguably the least-dominant of NDSU's NC teams). That McNeese team lost in the first round of the playoffs and 2012 YSU missed the playoffs.

More often than not these teams that get a nice-looking FBS win on the first game of the year are closer to what the consensus thought they would be than what they appear to be in their FBS win.

If I was voting in the AGS poll NDSU would still be my #1. I don't believe in voting based on a complete "blank slate" that ignores everything from the previous year until at least 3 weeks have passed.

POD Knows
September 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Every year it happens...someone gets an early nice-looking win over an FBS team and there's a knee-jerk reaction to jack them up sky-high in the polls. Think Youngstown State versus Pitt in 2012 or McNeese State and South Florida in 2013. Heck NDSU's dominating win at Iowa State in 2014 pretty much belied how they would be that season (was arguably the least-dominant of NDSU's NC teams). That McNeese team lost in the first round of the playoffs and 2012 YSU missed the playoffs.

More often than not these teams that get a nice-looking FBS win on the first game of the year are closer to what the consensus thought they would be than what they appear to be in their FBS win.

If I was voting in the AGS poll NDSU would still be my #1. I don't believe in voting based on a complete "blank slate" that ignores everything from the previous year until at least 3 weeks have passed.

This, I don't like the "flash in the pan" stuff either. That being said, I think I will put UNI and Richmond at 2 and 3 (don't know the order yet) in my poll. NDSU is still #1.

UNIFanSince1983
September 4th, 2016, 09:06 AM
It is hard to ignore that fact that NDSU was number 1 and they are 1-0 with their win being over another Top 10 ranked FCS team. Just because they didn't play this week doesn't mean they should get jumped. That being said I would have had Richmond much higher than a lot of people did to being with. This win just justifies the fact to me they should have been #2 or 3 in the preseason poll to being with.

clenz
September 4th, 2016, 09:24 AM

UNI was 2 on the preseason poll with 1st place vote. I believe UR was 3rd with a 1st place vote.

I had them in that order and it was razor thin to have NDSU 1.

A win doesn't automatically mean moving up or keeping the ranking. What UR did to UVa is impossible to ignore.

catamount man
September 4th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Richmond has beaten UVA and Duke before on multiple occasions. Eventually the ACC cellar dwellers are going to quit scheduling them.

DallasSpider
September 4th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Duke already has xnodx

clenz
September 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM
To be clear. Zero issues with NDSU being #1. None. Less than none.

I just think that, right now, NDSU, UR and UNI can all make a legit claim to #1 when combing preseason expectations with how the one game each of them has played turned out.

It's fair to say NDSU played the weakest of the three, but by a very small margin, and got the game at home. UNI and Ur were both road wins against teams with football budgets larger than each schools athletic budget and 22 less scholarships

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Every year it happens...someone gets an early nice-looking win over an FBS team and there's a knee-jerk reaction to jack them up sky-high in the polls.

The Spiders were a national semifinalist last year and Top 5 preseason. I'm not going to vote them #1 but it would hardly be 'knee jerk' to do it.

Ivytalk
September 4th, 2016, 10:42 AM
So is Richmond that good, or is Virginia that bad?xeyebrowx

I'm thinking both.xcoolx

clenz
September 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM
The Spiders were a national semifinalist last year and Top 5 preseason. I'm not going to vote them #1 but it would hardly be 'knee jerk' to do it.

This

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2016, 10:52 AM
So is Richmond that good, or is Virginia that bad?xeyebrowx

I'm thinking both.xcoolx

I think you're right. We looked really good yesterday but there's a part of me that gets concerned seeing my team play that well that early in the season. That said, this Spider team has some great leadership and focus, in addition to talented personnel. And Virginia is definitely going to struggle this year.

With that said, some perspective is needed. We were picked to win the CAA and William and Mary was picked second. William and Mary got waxed by a strong ACC team and we boatraced a bad ACC team. We still need to beat William and Mary. Not much has changed since Thursday.

Thumper 76
September 4th, 2016, 10:57 AM
In the end I'm pretty confident that UNI and Richmond will grab some more first place votes but NDSU will still be in the number 1 spot.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
First, congrats to the spiders on going to cville and humbling their sorry asses. I know many a boohoo and their social media reaction was classic. One guy even said he and a bunch of drunken UVA frat boys could've fielded a team better than that. Richmond isn't even that good. Yadda Yadda Yadda. I had to lay off of trolling. That and I couldn't possibly stand up for the spiders haha.

Anyways, I'd say just last season, Portland state's record ass whooping of North Texas was the most dominant Fcs win over fbs. It was 69-9 or something like that. This may be the most dominant over a P5. Maybe wazzu has also lost bad?

Finally, I feel you all on the bogus targeting call. We also suffered a number of ridiculous officiating moments in our win yesterday (I know hard to believe given the score). We had a player thrown out for targeting. Replay showed it wasn't targeting. They let the call stand anyways. I've never known them to actually overturn targeting calls. It makes me wonder why we even bother to review it to begin with. It's just a waste of time.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2016, 11:09 AM

This is my mentality as well. You're #1 until you lose. They earned it with every consecutive title they win. Others are close, but until ndsu loses, on top they remain.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2016, 11:13 AM
North Texas is not Virginia, but yea, that was a big time ass kicking. The NDSU/Iowa State game was an ass kicking as well.

I thought of that but Iowa state went up 14-0 to start the game. I wouldn't say it was dominant throughout like UR yesterday.

McNeese75
September 4th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Virginia was a great win. There were a quite a few FBS scalps taken yesterday and Kudos to all those that went home with them. But at the end of the day, It is still the Bison. Until somebody beats them when it counts the most, it is all moot.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2016, 11:16 AM

Give this man a medal. He nailed it. I am not going to jump out of my britches over one win. My 2010 JMU team reminds me of that fact.

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2016, 11:32 AM
....NOT SUGGESTIN'...UH SHAKE-UP @ TOP UH POLL....AN' NOT TAKIN' ANYTHIN'...FROM RICHMOND/UNI....BUT EASTERN WASHINGTON'S W....OVERAH WASHINGTON STATE....WAS BIGGEST FCS UPSET....ACCORDIN' TA...LINDY'S COLLEGE FOOTBALL MAG.......COUGARS ARE RANKED #26........CAVS #54.........CYCLONES #86....AH TOO AGREE WHIFF....FCS_pwns_FBS's....POST.........AWK!

GreatAppSt
September 4th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Great game Spiders!

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I vote purely based on this season, so there are some pretty big swings over the first couple weeks with all the FBS games and sub D-I games. I can vote Richmond #1 this week, switch to NDSU next week, and switch to UNI the following week without any of the teams losing because I am voting for who I think is the best team in 2016.

spdram
September 4th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the kudos guys, still on a high. Time to come down and get ready to strap it on for game two. In the end it really only matters where you are in the final poll before the playoffs. That's the one I wan to be #1 in, give us home field as long as we win.

SFspidur
September 4th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Richmond has beaten UVA and Duke before on multiple occasions. Eventually the ACC cellar dwellers are going to quit scheduling them.
We did beat Duke three times in a row in recent years until they stopped playing us (and before they became a top 25 team), but we hadn't beaten UVA in 70 years. We'd only played them 10 other times over that span, but still...70 years betweens wins over them.

thebootfitter
September 5th, 2016, 04:50 AM
I just think that, right now, NDSU, UR and UNI can all make a legit claim to #1 when combing preseason expectations with how the one game each of them has played turned out.

It's fair to say NDSU played the weakest of the three, but by a very small margin, and got the game at home. UNI and Ur were both road wins against teams with football budgets larger than each schools athletic budget and 22 less scholarships
Based on this logic, I think both EWU and SDSU can make legit claims for the #1 spot too. And I'm not saying they shouldn't be voted #1, but I don't think it is justified after one game.

Everyone has a different scheme to voting though, and someone else may be able to justify it.

If you're voting as to where you think the teams will end up at the end of the year, I think the Bison are #1 until someone beats them. It will happen again. Probably more than once this year again. But if you are fine tuning the order based on the one game everyone has played so far (or CSU's two games), then I get it.

Hanca
September 6th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Great win for Spiders, especially if one lives in the Commonwealth and has to live with inflated media coverage of weak UVA football and "The University" crap poured down our throats. UVA is bad and new coach did not have his team ready to play. Rocco had his team ready. Hopefully, AD will now extend his contract and increase salary.