PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern is without a head coach for October 8

bonarae
September 2nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
He and an unnamed assistant were both suspended for a recruiting-related violation. The assistant will sit out the Noles game next week, Chadwell on October 8 against D-II Albany State.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160901200316035274804&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Meanwhile...

The university also announced that it is investigating for possible NCAA rules violations, whose actions include withdrawing of several student-athletes from action.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2016, 12:14 AM
Ohh this is big....and not good for Chucky South...xcoffeex

Chadwell's job could be in serious jeapordy if the NCAA investigation picks up over the next few days. Where there's smoke there's fire...

SENOREIDA
September 2nd, 2016, 06:02 AM
This doesn't surprise me. Let's see a termination and some win forfeitures.

Cocky
September 2nd, 2016, 06:34 AM
Albany must suck?

Libertine
September 2nd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Albany must suck?

On the contrary, they're the best team in the SIAC. Possibly even the best team in all of Division II. They're an elite and respected program whose name strikes fear into the hearts of millions of people. It's inconceivable that so many other millions of people have never heard of them.

Sorry. I think I may have been channeling a CSU SID there.

IBleedYellow
September 2nd, 2016, 07:58 AM
Well ****.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BigSouthFan
September 2nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Well ****.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old teammate of mine's son plays DL for CSU. Said the news is, they sent a recruiting graphic on Twitter out to a few kids back in April or May stating that they were offered, and it wasn't supposed to be done until June or July, something like that.

Also, the campus bookstore influenced some players to use excess book money for expensive headphones and gear and whatever else is in the bookstore there. Violation.

Suspend the bookstore, don't make these players suffer for it!

Side note: don't see any games being taken away for this, minor violations, 1-game suspensions at most for players and Chadwell. Couldn't find out who the other coach was that's suspended for the FSU game. They should be fine.

CSU18
September 2nd, 2016, 08:28 AM
Old teammate of mine's son plays DL for CSU. Said the news is, they sent a recruiting graphic on Twitter out to a few kids back in April or May stating that they were offered, and it wasn't supposed to be done until June or July, something like that.

Also, the campus bookstore influenced some players to use excess book money for expensive headphones and gear and whatever else is in the bookstore there. Violation.

Suspend the bookstore, don't make these players suffer for it!

Side note: don't see any games being taken away for this, minor violations, 1-game suspensions at most for players and Chadwell. Couldn't find out who the other coach was that's suspended for the FSU game. They should be fine.

Talked to a good buddy who has close ties with the coaching staff and AD. The unnamed assistant made the error - sent something out on Twitter and/or Instgram during a period of time that was prohibited (as mentioned above). Due to the fact that Chadwell is "responsible" for his staff's actions, they're going to suspend both the assistant and Chadwell. They've talked to the NCAA and that is the worst punishment they would bring down on them, so CSU has decided to go ahead and enforce the worst case scenario punishment to avoid a suspension for a critical game. As for the student athletes - not much info from my guy on that - just that they don't think any rules were violated, but wanted to get it cleared up with NCAA before allowing them to play (basically to avoid any further issues). Sounds to me like CSU caught the infractions in time and are trying to be above board in getting them handled - probably being a little too precausious, but I can't say I blame them given what's at stake.

IBleedYellow
September 2nd, 2016, 08:28 AM
You guys aren't UNC.

The book will be thrown at you.

CSU18
September 2nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
You guys aren't UNC.

The book will be thrown at you.

Lol - probably right. Maybe this will be enough to keep other suitors from calling Chadwell after this season 🙏🏼

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM
Lol - probably right. Maybe this will be enough to keep other suitors from calling Chadwell after this season 

Nah, this gives him street cred, won't effect his stock.

Redbird007
September 2nd, 2016, 08:42 AM
Certainly does sound minor in nature. However strongly disagree about holding the bookstore and employees responsible/accountable. It does not make sense that the bookstore and employees should have to learn NCAA rules and make certain the players follow them. Let the bookstore employees hawk whatever they can inside the store. Players and coaches are responsible for knowing NCAA rules and they all take a mandatory NCAA rules education session. Give the players involved a few game suspension and take their BEATS away. That said i would be a little spooked if I was a CSU fan that there could be more once they start investigating as you never know what the h*ll is going on at these schools.

Libertine
September 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Couldn't find out who the other coach was that's suspended for the FSU game.

It's a recruiting violation so I would guess that coach is going to be the recruiting coordinator, Willy Korn.

Redbird007
September 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
It's a recruiting violation so I would guess that coach is going to be the recruiting coordinator, Willy Korn.

If he was over 35 i would given him a social media hall pass on the violation but he is too young to not know how to tweet.

BigSouthFan
September 2nd, 2016, 09:04 AM

This makes a lot of sense, but The Scoop says its an "unnamed defensive assistant" and Will Korn coaches the WR's so that narrows him out. Though its very minor so I don't believe it really matters who it is.

dgtw
September 2nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Certainly does sound minor in nature. However strongly disagree about holding the bookstore and employees responsible/accountable. It does not make sense that the bookstore and employees should have to learn NCAA rules and make certain the players follow them. Let the bookstore employees hawk whatever they can inside the store. Players and coaches are responsible for knowing NCAA rules and they all take a mandatory NCAA rules education session. Give the players involved a few game suspension and take their BEATS away. That said i would be a little spooked if I was a CSU fan that there could be more once they start investigating as you never know what the h*ll is going on at these schools.

The bookstore should know an athlete can only get books with the voucher or whatever they give him to "buy" stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SENOREIDA
September 2nd, 2016, 09:39 AM
This seems fishy to me. I didn't think CSU students could read books, let alone players on their football team. 🤔

Mayville Bison
September 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM
Just so I have this right....Sending a tweet out a month early is a larger infraction than selling drugs?

Had to do it one last (first?) time...xdeadhorsex

LUnpretty11
September 2nd, 2016, 10:25 AM
This shouldn't get blown out of proportion, but knowing the NCAA it probably will. Especially since it's a "little guy". The suspension seems reasonable.

CSU18
September 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
This seems fishy to me. I didn't think CSU students could read books, let alone players on their football team. 🤔

Lol. We never read a book - our program has always been so elite that the University allowed us to do as we pleased.

BigSouthFan
September 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM
This shouldn't get blown out of proportion, but knowing the NCAA it probably will. Especially since it's a "little guy". The suspension seems reasonable.

Yeah, Clemson had 15 level 3 secondary infractions last year and you barely heard anything about it, including Dabo FaceTiming a kid a month outside of legal contact time. Little guy always loses but I think Chadwell and CSU will be all clear and past all of this by conference play.

Redbird007
September 2nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
The bookstore should know an athlete can only get books with the voucher or whatever they give him to "buy" stuff.

Maybe but in the end it is still the athlete's responsibility. If i F'up something I don't get to blame it on someone else.

jsnow84
September 2nd, 2016, 07:56 PM
I am just impressed CSU has an on campus bookstore. :) Nice facilities.

ASU33
September 2nd, 2016, 08:06 PM
On the contrary, they're the best team in the SIAC. Possibly even the best team in all of Division II. They're an elite and respected program whose name strikes fear into the hearts of millions of people. It's inconceivable that so many other millions of people have never heard of them.

Sorry. I think I may have been channeling a CSU SID there.

They might be the 3rd best team in the SIAC behind Miles and Tuskegee who both beat them last year.

Nickels
September 2nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Agreed 100%. This on the players and coaches not some minimum wage students doing their jobs.

citdog
September 2nd, 2016, 10:56 PM
Coach Cheatwell

Bisonoline
September 3rd, 2016, 12:55 AM

The athlete knows what those vouchers are for. They are not for headphones. This is all on the players trying to put one over on the system.

dgtw
September 3rd, 2016, 06:42 AM
The athlete knows what those vouchers are for. They are not for headphones. This is all on the players trying to put one over on the system.

I agree it is the players to blame. But someone should have sent a memo to the bookstore to only let them have books. I think the bookstore knew what they were doing and trying to boost sales.

It was a lack of institutional control all around.

walliver
September 3rd, 2016, 07:30 AM
If the NCAA enforces these rules across the board, the sidelines at SEC games will be empty.

In the end this isn't much of a penalty. A few players will be held out of a game against a junior high school, and Chadwell will be suspended for a game against another junior high school.