PDA

View Full Version : Pick 5-Which 5 MVFC make the playoffs this year?How many share a side of the bracket?

Twentysix
August 31st, 2016, 06:57 PM
Who are the playoff teams from the MVFC this year?

How many are placed on a single side of the bracket?

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2016, 07:00 PM
We get 10 this year, and every single one of them is on the same side of the bracket.

Twentysix
August 31st, 2016, 07:01 PM
NDSU 9-2 (Iowa, UNI)
SDSU 9-2 (TCU, NDSU)
UNI 8-3 (SDSU, YSU, Iowa St)
YSU 7-4 (WVU, ISUr, SDSU, NDSU)
ISUr 7-4 (NW, NDSU, SDSU, USD)

Thumper 76
August 31st, 2016, 08:13 PM
NDSU 9-2 (Iowa, UNI)
SDSU 9-2 (TCU, NDSU)

I like where your head is at

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 31st, 2016, 08:19 PM
NDSU
UNI
SDSU
YSU
Ill State

It wouldn't surprise me if UNI runs the table. I'm going to watch the UNI/Cyclone game, if I can, to see how UNI has improved....although 1st games can be rusty. Plus they have SIU, SDSU and NDSU at home and no Ill State this year.

Could be "their" year.

PantherRob82
August 31st, 2016, 08:25 PM
NDSU, UNI, SDSU

Maybe YSU, ISUr or WIU?

MTfan4life
August 31st, 2016, 08:49 PM
NDSU 9-2 (Iowa, UNI)
SDSU 9-2 (TCU, NDSU)

Three of those teams play a strong Western Illinois team in Macomb.

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2016, 08:47 AM
NDSU 9-2 (Iowa, UNI)
SDSU 9-2 (TCU, NDSU)

I'm pretty close with you on this, but what about this situation:
NDSU, SDSU, UNI and YSU are the same as you've listed, but instead of ISUr losing at USD, they win that one, but lose at WIU? And WIU loses games against NIU, SDSU, NDSU and UNI.
NDSU and SDSU are 9-2, UNI is 8-3, so they're all obviously in the playoffs

YSU is 7-4 with a win over UNI
ISUr is 7-4 with a win over YSU
WIU is 7-4 with a win over ISUr

YSU does not play WIU this year, just fyi.

Do all 3 make the playoffs....or none (and how easy is it going to be to justify not including 7-4 MVFC teams when we got in last year at 6-5)? In that situation, does the MVFC actually get 6 teams in, or do they find a way to rank the three 7-4 teams and only take 1 or 2 of them?

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 08:55 AM
You're all in agreement that SDSU beats UNI in Cedar Falls, but UNI beats NDSU in Cedar Falls, this year then?

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2016, 09:03 AM
You're all in agreement that SDSU beats UNI in Cedar Falls, but UNI beats NDSU in Cedar Falls, this year then?

Not necessarily.

I'm fully in agreement that NDSU, UNI, and SDSU are practically "locks" for the playoffs. Personally I think the conference champion will actually come down to the NDSU vs UNI game. Whoever wins gets 1st in the conference, whoever loses gets 2nd, but both make the playoffs.

Maybe it's UNI at 10-1 with a loss to Iowa State, NDSU at 9-2 with losses to Iowa and UNI, and SDSU at 8-3 with losses to NDSU, UNI, and TCU.

So, I was pretty much saying that I agreed that those three would be the top 3 in the conference, but it might shuffle a little bit based on who beats whom.

The next 3 is where the big question marks are. ISUr, WIU, YSU...all strong, but not "top of the conference" teams (at least, that's how it looks to me right now).

EDIT: and theoretically, all of those "next 3" could finish 7-4, which usually would be a lock for the playoffs out of the MVFC, but they might leave someone out because it'd mean 6 MVFC teams in the playoffs.

mango433
September 1st, 2016, 09:11 AM

I'm not. I think SDSU loses to TCU, NDSU and UNI. Knowing them, they will probably lose another game they shouldn't as well.

eiu1999
September 1st, 2016, 09:16 AM
NDSU
SDSU
ISU
UNI
WIU

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2016, 09:24 AM
NDSU
SDSU
ISU
UNI
WIU

This lineup seems most likely to me.

And the Youngstown, Ohio media leads their news broadcasts on selection Sunday with reports of a 7.2 earthquake with an epicenter in the approximate location of Coach Pelini's office.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 09:30 AM
I'm not. I think SDSU loses to TCU, NDSU and UNI. Knowing them, they will probably lose another game they shouldn't as well.

I'm really worried about that YSU game the week after NDSU. It's the Hobo Day game as well and it just doesn't feel like we've played well in that game recently.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty close with you on this, but what about this situation:
NDSU, SDSU, UNI and YSU are the same as you've listed, but instead of ISUr losing at USD, they win that one, but lose at WIU? And WIU loses games against NIU, SDSU, NDSU and UNI.
NDSU and SDSU are 9-2, UNI is 8-3, so they're all obviously in the playoffs

Do all 3 make the playoffs....or none (and how easy is it going to be to justify not including 7-4 MVFC teams when we got in last year at 6-5)? In that situation, does the MVFC actually get 6 teams in, or do they find a way to rank the three 7-4 teams and only take 1 or 2 of them?

Thats a V not an I. YSU's first loss on my list is to West Virginia.

JayJ79
September 1st, 2016, 09:35 AM

Traditionally, YSU would be left out of the playoffs in that scenario. (see 2014, 2013, 2012, 2007, 2005). Of course part of that could be due to their non-conference scheduling

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:39 AM
If USD can pickup a win today they could hit 7-4 imo. I suspect they will top out at 6-5 though. It's possible that either USD or WIU will also hit 7-4 and one of the MVFC 7 win teams will be left out.

EDIT: USD plays today, not saturday.

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM
Thats a V not an I. YSU's first loss on my list is to West Virginia.

Right, I got that. I'm just saying that it's possible that YSU, ISUr, and WIU could all be 7-4. And my "just fyi" comment was really more for anyone curious about WIU vs YSU being used as a tiebreaker, since they don't play each other.

Traditionally, YSU would be left out of the playoffs in that scenario. (see 2014, 2013, 2012, 2007, 2005). Of course part of that could be due to their non-conference scheduling

That would be my assumption as well.

Daytripper
September 1st, 2016, 09:47 AM
NDSU
UNI
SDSU
YSU
Ill State

It wouldn't surprise me if UNI runs the table. I'm going to watch the UNI/Cyclone game, if I can, to see how UNI has improved....although 1st games can be rusty. Plus they have SIU, SDSU and NDSU at home and no Ill State this year.

Could be "their" year.

I see what you are doing here. You know that UNI historically folds when the pressure/spotlight is there. You are just being mean! xcoffeex

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 09:50 AM
I see what you are doing here. You know that UNI historically folds when the pressure/spotlight is there. You are just being mean! xcoffeex
UNI has ran the table before...in the last decade even

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM

So, I haven't slept yet, and I read that as "in the last seven decades." It made me laugh. You should rewrite it my way.

CappinHard
September 1st, 2016, 09:55 AM

Aaaand part of it could be due to them completely collapsing down the stretch, and the committee takes into account how teams finish the year.

Yote 53
September 1st, 2016, 10:14 AM
If USD can pickup a win today they could hit 7-4 imo. I suspect they will top out at 6-5 though. It's possible that either USD or WIU will also hit 7-4 and one of the MVFC 7 win teams will be left out.

EDIT: USD plays today, not saturday.

Honestly, if USD goes 7-4 but gets snubbed from the playoffs I won't even be pissed. I'll just be happy we went 7-4.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 10:15 AM
Honestly, if USD goes 7-4 but gets snubbed from the playoffs I won't even be pissed. I'll just be happy we went 7-4.

So when I look at your schedule, beating UNM seems like a critical peice of being 7-4. And beating UNM and being 7-4 probably guarantees you a slot in the playoffs. Good luck later today!

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 10:16 AM

You say that now......

Bison56
September 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM

I will hold you to that.xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
September 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM
You say that now......

Eh they probably don't even need to worry about that they won't be 7-4 xcoffeex

JayJ79
September 1st, 2016, 11:11 AM

They ran the regular season table, but then folded when they reached the more important table.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM

NO, UNI is going to be tough as nails this year, like almost every year. They gave NDSU all they could handle twice last year and IMO were the 2nd best team in the playoffs.

If Bailey and Smith stay healthy, they will be a two man wrecking crew this year.

Redbird007
September 1st, 2016, 02:47 PM
You say that now......

LOL...That is so accurate...the fans of any team (me included) that is on the bubble and is left out at 7-4 when others make it will be spewing venom at everyone.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 08:18 PM
You can watch USD vs UNM here http://campusinsiders.com/live/football-south-dakota-at-new-mexico-root-2016-08-29

but you have to be outside the roots footprint for it to work.

mmiller_34
September 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM
LETS GO COYOTES

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM
LETS GO COYOTES

Their offense is absolutely shredding UNM. They look ****ing dangerous.

Their option QB has 117yd on the ground.

3/3 for 25 yds through the air.

14-7 USD leads with 5min left in the 1st.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 08:37 PM
Keep it up yotes

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 08:52 PM
14-14 to start the 2nd qtr. UNM ball.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
Well I'll be damned, Misery St covered the spread.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:07 PM
Omg usd. They just held unm to their 3 yd line then ****ing dropped the punt for a huge to

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:11 PM
28-14 unm

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 09:20 PM
Well I'll be damned, Misery St covered the spread.

I stopped watching one I realized they couldn't get a white helmet to match a white jersey for color

And when you wear white at home vs and NAIA school I can't watch that

Twentysix
September 1st, 2016, 09:30 PM
35-14 unm going into half. This one is done.

Yotes21
September 1st, 2016, 09:39 PM
Held UMN to a punt from their end zone and the guy muffed it. That last TD hurt.