View Full Version : Citadel, Charleston Southern agree to renew football rivalry

El Cid 80
August 30th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Looks like this rivalry will begin in 2018...

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829386/citadel-charleston-southern-agree-to-renew-football-rivalry

kdinva
August 30th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Looks like this rivalry will begin in 2018...

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829386/citadel-charleston-southern-agree-to-renew-football-rivalry

I like the idea that CSU will get 3,000 tickets for all the games at Johnson-Hagood (all 4 games), and keep the cash. All things considered, that's good for CSU to add to their bank account, and renovate their FB (and hoops?) facility.

ASU33
August 30th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Nice!xbowx

CSU18
August 30th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Looking forward to it. Hopefully both programs will still be thriving then.

Schism55
August 30th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I like to hear this. Well done by both sides.

Redbird007
August 30th, 2016, 10:34 PM
Good to hear...too often classic rivalries get lost due to conference affiliation or egos.

ElCid
August 30th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Good to hear...too often classic rivalries get lost due to conference affiliation or egos.

Yeah but I am not sure it is a classic. We really have no history with CSU (10 games). It can possibly make for a good rivalry given time, but we have so much better history with Furman (95 games), VMI (71 games), and even Wofford (68 games) for rivalry games. Obviously the low count is since their football program is so new. But it could become a Charleston classic given another 20 years or so. CSU just does not resonate with the Corps like Furman does.

dgtw
August 31st, 2016, 04:56 AM
How did they get 8,451 people in a 4,000 seat stadium. Are there plans for expansion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SENOREIDA
August 31st, 2016, 06:00 AM
How did they get 8,451 people in a 4,000 seat stadium. Are there plans for expansion?

Lawn chairs and portable bleachers. There is not a plan for expansion that I know of, and there really isn't a need for one that I am aware of.

walliver
August 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM
Hopefully they will have somewhere to sit:
http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829380/citadel-considers-tearing-down-visitors-side-at-johnson-hagood-stadium

dgtw
August 31st, 2016, 12:35 PM
Lawn chairs and portable bleachers. There is not a plan for expansion that I know of, and there really isn't a need for one that I am aware of.

If you double stadium capacity for a playoff game that sounds like a need. Then they take NDSU to overtime in Fargo. That should increase interest in the program.

walliver
August 31st, 2016, 02:27 PM
If you double stadium capacity for a playoff game that sounds like a need. Then they take NDSU to overtime in Fargo. That should increase interest in the program.

I don't think losing to NDSU is going to increase interest in the football program to any significant degree.
CSU has a number of issues:
1) The school is fairly young with no football tradition. Hence there are not many alumni buying season tickets.
2) It is a private Baptist school in a market with two other D-I schools, both public. It can be very hard for private schools to generate much community interest. The Citadel was at one time the local team, but even in their case, attendance is down significantly from its peak 15 years ago.
3) The large playoff crowd (which really wasn't that large) was due to a very great extent to the fact that they were hosting a Charleston school with a large local alumni base. How many fans are buying tickets to watch PC, Gardner-Webb, and the D2's? And their biggest rival is leaving FCS.
4) The only people who would understand the significance of going to OT with NDSU are already at the games.

When you consider the obstacles CSU faces, it makes Jamie Chadwell's accomplishment even more impressive. If he acts more mature dealing with the press he will quickly find a better job. Some of his antics towards the Citadel have been juvenile, and I wonder if this is why his name rarely came up in coaching searches last year.

SENOREIDA
August 31st, 2016, 03:08 PM
I don't think losing to NDSU is going to increase interest in the football program to any significant degree.
CSU has a number of issues:
1) The school is fairly young with no football tradition. Hence there are not many alumni buying season tickets.
2) It is a private Baptist school in a market with two other D-I schools, both public. It can be very hard for private schools to generate much community interest. The Citadel was at one time the local team, but even in their case, attendance is down significantly from its peak 15 years ago.
3) The large playoff crowd (which really wasn't that large) was due to a very great extent to the fact that they were hosting a Charleston school with a large local alumni base. How many fans are buying tickets to watch PC, Gardner-Webb, and the D2's? And their biggest rival is leaving FCS.
4) The only people who would understand the significance of going to OT with NDSU are already at the games.

When you consider the obstacles CSU faces, it makes Jamie Chadwell's accomplishment even more impressive. If he acts more mature dealing with the press he will quickly find a better job. Some of his antics towards the Citadel have been juvenile, and I wonder if this is why his name rarely came up in coaching searches last year.

All of his antics are juvenile. Like when he kept a chicken in a dog kennel for a week at practice prior to the Coastal game, and his shenanigans with a broom for the Citadel. He is a good coach, and I think he bolts before 2018 to the FBS or a bigger FCS school. Their program will fall back to earth after this. In 2018 a meh CSU will play a meh El Cid squad at less lead contaminated Hagood Stadium. This is my prediction.

Sandlapper Spike
August 31st, 2016, 08:10 PM
Chadwell wouldn't comment on the agreement. I would be really surprised if he is still at CSU by 2018.

ASU33
August 31st, 2016, 08:53 PM
Chadwell wouldn't comment on the agreement. I would be really surprised if he is still at CSU by 2018.

I'm shocked that he didn't get the gig at Georgia Southern!

ElCid
August 31st, 2016, 10:21 PM
Hopefully they will have somewhere to sit:
http://www.postandcourier.com/20160829/160829380/citadel-considers-tearing-down-visitors-side-at-johnson-hagood-stadium

Yeah, this whole thing is somewhat disturbing. If they decide to condemn or tear down half our stadium mid season, it will be interesting. It will take years to replace.

BigSouthFan
September 1st, 2016, 09:37 AM
All of his antics are juvenile. Like when he kept a chicken in a dog kennel for a week at practice prior to the Coastal game, and his shenanigans with a broom for the Citadel. He is a good coach, and I think he bolts before 2018 to the FBS or a bigger FCS school. Their program will fall back to earth after this. In 2018 a meh CSU will play a meh El Cid squad at less lead contaminated Hagood Stadium. This is my prediction.

Ehh. I think this is an unfair shot at what he does to motivate his team. No other coach goes to these great lengths and these weekly "championships" because they don't endure what he endures at CSU. Turner Gill, Joe Moe, Mike Houston, the coaches of all these big level high dollar programs that he has been handling and beating throughout his era at CSU, they don't face the tests he does at CSU. He finds a way to get his team up to beat them, and my oh my if it doesn't work. As fans, who are we to call him juvenile for antics that are obviously working? That CSU team isn't as talented from top to bottom as Liberty, Coastal, or The Citadel, IMO.

2-1 against Coastal
2-1 against Liberty
4-0 against The Citadel

Hell, bring on the brooms and chicken coops.

CSU18
September 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM
Ehh. I think this is an unfair shot at what he does to motivate his team. No other coach goes to these great lengths and these weekly "championships" because they don't endure what he endures at CSU. Turner Gill, Joe Moe, Mike Houston, the coaches of all these big level high dollar programs that he has been handling and beating throughout his era at CSU, they don't face the tests he does at CSU. He finds a way to get his team up to beat them, and my oh my if it doesn't work. As fans, who are we to call him juvenile for antics that are obviously working? That CSU team isn't as talented from top to bottom as Liberty, Coastal, or The Citadel, IMO.

2-1 against Coastal
2-1 against Liberty
4-0 against The Citadel

Hell, bring on the brooms and chicken coops.

^^^^^this right here......

Spot on