PDA

View Full Version : 2016-0903 - AGS GOTW Week 1

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Get your nominations in for Week 1 AGS Game of the Week

You can use our schedule if you need to look for week 1 games. NDSU/CSU was not week 1 for this purpose just to give you a reference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QeI/edit#gid=6
(Please note there are many years on this sheet so select "2016" for best results for games happening the first week of this season...xlolx)

You must say "I nominate" or "I second" or your nomination will NOT be counted! Cutoff is Tuesday noon East Coast Time.

You may nominate only one game. You may second as many as you'd like.

--------------------------------

Nominated:

Seconded:
The Citadel vs Mercer - 7
CCU at Lamar
North Dakota @ Stony Brook - 8
WIU vs EIU - 3
Duquesne @ YSU -

grizband
August 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I nominate North Dakota vs Stony Brook

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I pick Montana St Francis

TheRevSFA
August 28th, 2016, 06:59 PM
I nominate CCU at Lamar

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I nominate The Citadel vs Mercer

kdinva
August 28th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I nominate The Citadel @ Mercer...

McNeese75
August 28th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I nominate CCU at Lamar

I will second this. Let's see what Ray Ray is made of

Thumper 76
August 28th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I nominate The Citadel vs Mercer

I second The Citadel vs Mercer

melloware13
August 28th, 2016, 07:54 PM

I second North Dakota @ Stony Brook

RootinFerDukes
August 28th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I nominate CCU at Lamar

Just for my reference this season, I know there's a no fbs/Fcs games "rule" to this gotw nomination. Does ccu count as fbs due to this year being a transition year? I know the NCAA still recognizes them as Fcs this year.

JSUSoutherner
August 28th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I second Citadel at Mercer.

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Citadel @ Mercer

PantherRob82
August 28th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I second Citadel mercer

ElCid
August 28th, 2016, 11:57 PM

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Get your nominations in for Week 1 AGS Game of the Week

You can use our schedule if you need to look for week 1 games. NDSU/CSU was not week 1 for this purpose just to give you a reference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QeI/edit#gid=6
(Please note there are many years on this sheet so select "2016" for best results for games happening the first week of this season...xlolx)

You must say "I nominate" or "I second" or your nomination will NOT be counted! Cutoff is Tuesday noon East Coast Time.

You may nominate only one game. You may second as many as you'd like.

Nominated:

Seconded:

Not quite understanding this election process, in order to cover all the bases...

I nominate: The Citadel at Mercer....OR...
I second: The Citadel at Mercer...OR...
I eighth: The Citadel at Mercer...OR...
I vote for: The Citadel at Mercer

Regardless, as long as I don't have to vote for either of our current major party Presidential Candidates, I'm good.

JSUSoutherner
August 29th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Not quite understanding this election process, in order to cover all the bases...

I nominate: The Citadel at Mercer....OR...
I second: The Citadel at Mercer...OR...
I eighth: The Citadel at Mercer...OR...
I vote for: The Citadel at Mercer

Regardless, as long as I don't have to vote for either of our current major party Presidential Candidates, I'm good.
You can only nominate one new game to be voted on.

You can second as many previously nominated games as you like.

For example I could nominate EIU vs. WIU since no one else has yet and I haven't nominated anything. In addition to my nomination of Mercer and El Cid I could also second UND and Stony Brook.

Make more sense now?

Twentysix
August 29th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Man the lineup this week for FCS vs FCS is crap and NDSU isn't playing. Good week to watch New Hampshire vs SDSU at Qualcomm. God they practically give the tickets away. SDSU (San Diego State) tickets are $19 for lowest teir between the 20s after fees.

Also I second WIU vs EIU

Tribe4SF
August 29th, 2016, 05:43 AM
I second UND @ Stony Brook.

dgtw
August 29th, 2016, 05:48 AM
What exactly is the GOTW? Does it get some kind of special coverage on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
August 29th, 2016, 07:50 AM

second second

wapiti
August 29th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I second North Dakota @ Stony Brook

bobcathpdevil56
August 29th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I second North Dakota @ Stony Brook as well

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I could nominate EIU vs. WIU

I second this if you nominated it.

Man the lineup this week for FCS vs FCS is crap and NDSU isn't playing. Good week to watch New Hampshire vs SDSU at Qualcomm. God they practically give the tickets away. SDSU (San Diego State) tickets are $19 for lowest teir between the 20s after fees.

Also I second WIU vs EIU

Otherwise I nominate WIU vs EIU or Second the above nomination.

This is the only FCS matchup featuring a ranked opponent vs a "receiving votes" opponent. All others are unranked opponents. How is no one nominating this game? The only remotely marquee game.

Bison56
August 29th, 2016, 10:21 AM

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I also second WIU vs EIU (does it need more "second-ing"?)

I try not to go nominating my own team, so I was waiting for someone else to do it first.
WIU is ranked, EIU received votes, and both of us made the playoffs last year. It's not on the level of the "big" rivalry games around, but it will be the 67th meeting of WIU and EIU (for quite a while we were in the same conference), which is our second-most played rivalry (behind Illinois State), and the return game of the home-and-home that started last season when we beat Eastern 33-5 in Macomb. Western has the lead in the series with a 41-21-4 record going back to 1930 although Western has won the last 4 games. For a non-conference game, it's actually a pretty decent rivalry.

Also, in terms of the schools themselves and the communities, they're very similar:
EIU - ~8,500 students
WIU - ~11,00 students

Charleston, IL - population ~21.8k
Macomb, IL - population ~21.5k

Something else that's kinda interesting...the Jimmy John's sandwich shop chain...founded in Charleston in 1983. The second JJ's store...Macomb in 1986.

JSUSoutherner
August 29th, 2016, 01:10 PM

This is the only FCS matchup featuring a ranked opponent vs a "receiving votes" opponent. All others are unranked opponents. How is no one nominating this game? The only remotely marquee game.

I used it as an example. No officall nomination of the game from me.

So so far all I've officially done is Second El Cid and Mercer

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2016, 01:25 PM

This is the only FCS matchup featuring a ranked opponent vs a "receiving votes" opponent. All others are unranked opponents.T How is no one nominating this game? The only remotely marquee game.

Incorrect - The Citadel is ranked higher than WIU and Mercer is "receiving votes" in the STATS Poll http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I nominate The Citadel at Mercer. Unless a game can only receive one nomination? In that case, I second The Citadel at Mercer. If I can also nominate The Citadel at Mercer, then I second some other nomination of The Citadel at Mercer.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2016, 01:52 PM
You can only nominate one new game to be voted on.

You can second as many previously nominated games as you like.

For example I could nominate EIU vs. WIU since no one else has yet and I haven't nominated anything. In addition to my nomination of Mercer and El Cid I could also second UND and Stony Brook.

Make more sense now?

Incorrect - The Citadel is ranked higher than WIU and Mercer is "receiving votes" in the STATS Poll http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

I was referring to the AGS poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Also I second WIU vs EIU

I don't think it was nominated. JSU was explaining a point. Nominate it I assume? I will do that since we are all knocking the rust of things.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I second North Dakota at Stony Brook

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I nominate The Citadel at Mercer. Unless a game can only receive one nomination? In that case, I second The Citadel at Mercer. If I can also nominate The Citadel at Mercer, then I second some other nomination of The Citadel at Mercer.

A second nomination is never necessary for a team and after the first week in which I am infinitely more flexible due to the "getting back into it" type of procedure it would not be recognized. I will accept your second.

You also never 3rd, 4th, 5th, or whatever else. "I second" means you endorse the nomination. Nothing else will be recognized in ursus' nomination process or Parliamentary Procedure..or whatever someone else called it a few years back. xlolx

Thank you for your second.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Seconded:
CCU at Lamar
North Dakota @ Stony Brook - 4
WIU vs EIU - 1

UNDColorado
August 29th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Second

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 02:31 PM

I second this.

I nominate Duquesne @ YSU

Hambone
August 29th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Second.

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I second this.

I nominate Duquesne @ YSU

I second Duquesne @ YSU.
I will also second WIU vs EIU.

Matt
August 29th, 2016, 03:42 PM
ND-Stony Brook for sure.

bobcathpdevil56
August 29th, 2016, 04:07 PM
ND-Stony Brook for sure.

Be careful Matt, Ursus will punch you with words for a seconding that looks like this

Thumper 76
August 29th, 2016, 04:09 PM
ND-Stony Brook for sure.

After this week Ursus gets a bit touchy about this. The correct format is:

I second UND-Stony Brook

For sure :D

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 04:34 PM
ND-Stony Brook for sure.

Those fellers posting right after you give good advice. As a newb I am so happy to have you here I am going to count it this one time. I will summarily ignore anything like this in the future. There is a story behind it that goes back about a decade but I'm not gonna go over it now.:D

Thank you for participating Spidey.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 04:37 PM
After this week Ursus gets a bit touchy about this. The correct format is:

I second UND-Stony Brook

For sure :D

troof, ursus can be a real bitch sometimes.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Seconded:
CCU at Lamar
North Dakota @ Stony Brook - 7
WIU vs EIU - 2
Duquesne @ YSU -

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 04:51 PM
#2 for me as well

dakotadan
August 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I second NoDak @ Stony Brook.

Bisonwinagn
August 29th, 2016, 08:19 PM
WIU and EIU were the last teams in the playoffs last year and could be again this year. I third that one.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2016, 09:31 PM

Seconded:
CCU at Lamar
WIU vs EIU - 3
Duquesne @ YSU -

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Apologies if you already counted mine from earlier, but I'm not sure if it was officially nominated at that point (and therefore if it was or was not counted). If mine wasn't tallied yet...

I second WIU at EIU.

Catbooster
August 29th, 2016, 11:15 PM
To further explain for the new guys - the two games with the most seconds will be put up in a poll. The top vote getter is the GOTW

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2016, 01:15 AM

Seconded:
CCU at Lamar
WIU vs EIU - 3
Duquesne @ YSU -

As I believe I now have a bit better grasp of Ursus' version of Robert's Rules of Order for this process, I would like to petition the Chair for a recount of the interim total ballots cast. I recognize the great peril of making such a request, but I hope my petition will be viewed by the Chair as support for the integrity of the process, as opposed to a challenge to the authority of the Position. My humble, certainly unofficial, and likely flawed accounting of the ballots, at this point in the thread, yields a qualified nomination for The Citadel @ Mercer and 10, subjectively proper "Seconds" for that game. The Chair has recognized the nomination and 7 "Seconds" at this point. While that is almost certainly the correct tabulation, with mine being in error, perhaps a review will serve to remove any such unwarranted doubt.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2016, 01:08 PM
As I believe I now have a bit better grasp of Ursus' version of Robert's Rules of Order for this process, I would like to petition the Chair for a recount of the interim total ballots cast. I recognize the great peril of making such a request, but I hope my petition will be viewed by the Chair as support for the integrity of the process, as opposed to a challenge to the authority of the Position. My humble, certainly unofficial, and likely flawed accounting of the ballots, at this point in the thread, yields a qualified nomination for The Citadel @ Mercer and 10, subjectively proper "Seconds" for that game. The Chair has recognized the nomination and 7 "Seconds" at this point. While that is almost certainly the correct tabulation, with mine being in error, perhaps a review will serve to remove any such unwarranted doubt.

I like your style brother!

One additional piece of information that may be lost. A nomination gets you on the list under the "nominated" field. One second is burned moving you to the "Seconded:" list. Once there, all other properly done "seconds" start accruing with a numberical designation following the teams name.

I could be off by one. Or you could be counting someone that was dicking around not seconding correctly. I always give new guys leeway. I do not give this luxury to those that should know better.

A recount would be in order if this were closely contested but the top two teams are very clear and another second on either side would make no difference as the top two advance to the sudden death vote.

Noms & seconds are now closed. Poll to follow shortly.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Alright homeies, the poll is attached. Get to voting!

RootinFerDukes
August 30th, 2016, 01:35 PM
A GOTW that doesn't feature the matchup with the highest ranking opponents collectively.... hmmm.

Thumper 76
August 30th, 2016, 01:50 PM
A GOTW that doesn't feature the matchup with the highest ranking opponents collectively.... hmmm.

If that's what decided this every week I would kind of defeat the purpose of a vote don't ya think?

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Probably stepping out of line again...perhaps this is why I always scored "Needs Improvement" in the "Follows Directions" category on my Elementary School report cards...

"This poll will close on September 2nd, 2016 at 02:11 PM"
Does this poll closing time work considering both games will have been played before the poll closes?

Perhaps I should actually take the time to learn what a matchup being named as "AGS GOTW" actually means. I guess I was just so disappointed that Mercer's 2 prior contests vs. (soon-to-be) FBS Champion, Reinhardt, were not selected for this honor, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth...until this week.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM
If that's what decided this every week I would kind of defeat the purpose of a vote don't ya think?

Exactly. This is about what AGS fans get in and make their voices heard.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Probably stepping out of line again...perhaps this is why I always scored "Needs Improvement" in the "Follows Directions" category on my Elementary School report cards...

"This poll will close on September 2nd, 2016 at 02:11 PM"
Does this poll closing time work considering both games will have been played before the poll closes?

Perhaps I should actually take the time to learn what a matchup being named as "AGS GOTW" actually means. I guess I was just so disappointed that Mercer's 2 prior contests vs. (soon-to-be) FBS Champion, Reinhardt, were not selected for this honor, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth...until this week.

The poll always closes on Friday and I didn't even think about early games this week so yeah, it is screwed up but I don't think I can change it. I guess you'll just have to take account of where it was before games start. xlolx

skinny_uncle
August 31st, 2016, 07:58 AM
I'd second WIU vs EIU but I guess it is too late since the poll is up.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 31st, 2016, 12:03 PM
I'd second WIU vs EIU but I guess it is too late since the poll is up.

Yep, normally by Tuesdays @ 10a or somewhere a bit after that the narrowing down to two and sometimes three is done.

This is a closer race than I expected. For watever reason I sort of expected The Cit/Mercer gaem to walk away with it.

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2016, 12:22 PM
This is a closer race than I expected. For watever reason I sort of expected The Cit/Mercer gaem to walk away with it.

Russian Hackers

ursus arctos horribilis
August 31st, 2016, 12:55 PM
Russian Hackers

Oh good, I got some stuff I hope they fix on their way out the door.

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM
Since both games are on thursday, shouldn't it close sometime this afternoon and not tomorrow?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2016, 01:03 PM
Since both games are on thursday, shouldn't it close sometime this afternoon and not tomorrow?

You are apparently not reading along.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 1st, 2016, 01:04 PM
The poll always closes on Friday and I didn't even think about early games this week so yeah, it is screwed up but I don't think I can change it. I guess you'll just have to take account of where it was before games start. xlolx

About 5 posts back...

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 03:08 PM
You are apparently not reading along.

He's still miffed about the EIU/WIU game xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2016, 03:30 PM
He's still miffed about the EIU/WIU game xlolx

So miffed that it kept me from reading every post in every thread. I'm so sorry Ursus just trying to help and preserve the integrity of the GOTW vote. I know someone will vote after the games are final and taint the entire pool.

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM
Ha, I'm not even that miffed and it's my school. Not like we get an award for being the AGS game of the week or anything ;)

ElCid
September 1st, 2016, 10:15 PM
Boy I really think The Citadel Mercer game will be a close one. Maybe one point. And it may have Conf champ implications down the road. I guess I will vote for that game.xrolleyesx

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 10:26 PM
Boy I really think The Citadel Mercer game will be a close one. Maybe one point. And it may have Conf champ implications down the road. I guess I will vote for that game.xrolleyesx

xlolx Made me feel good I voted for that one though

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Here is a little write up on the GOTW.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/ags-gotw-week-1/