PDA

View Full Version : Big South Pre-Preseason Predictions

OLDLCOACH111
December 28th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I know it is early but I have to know peoples opinions about how they think the Big South will shape up..

My Predictions are as follows:

1st Liberty Or Gardner Webb
2nd Liberty Or Gardner Webb
3rd Coastal Carolina
4th Chuck South
5th VMI

Liberty and Gardner-Webb are returning allot of players with allot of game experience. Both teams have the ability to redshirt their entire 2007 signing class and still make a run at the crown. Coastal Carolina can be a sleeper due to the fact of the loss of a big chunk of their players which were seniors. But Coach Bennett has the skills and the resources to lead the team to a good mark. I Do not know much about Chuck South or VMI next season but am looking forward in learning about them in further post responses.

Coastal-Effect
December 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
This is the way I see it.
#1 Coastal or Liberty
#2 Liberty or Coastal
#3 Gardner Webb
#4 Chuck South
#5 VMI

We may have lost 36 Seniors but we still have a Good group of guys that can get the job done and will trust me.:thumbsup: :nod: :smiley_wi

ATrain
December 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM
1. Liberty
2. Coastal or Gardner-Webb
3. Coastal or Gardner-Webb
4. VMI
5. CSU

Yes, I'm a homer picking LU first. We return a lot of offensive talent, and our schedule should be somewhat tougher before conference play than it was last year. However, on any given saturday...

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Coastal loses 36 seniors, but they have something like 25 seniors next year. People think there's going to be a huge drop off but they still have a ton of talent/experience coming back. The biggest thing is who is going to play quarterback.

Personally, I think LU will be on top becaue of the close losses, the talent returning, and the possible transfers. Coastal would be second, G-W third, VMI fourth, and CSU fifth. CSU was nothing after Drafts got hurt last year. Jim Reid will keep VMI in games, especially in Lexington.

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Coastal loses 36 seniors, but they have something like 25 seniors next year. People think there's going to be a huge drop off but they still have a ton of talent/experience coming back. The biggest thing is who is going to play quarterback.

Personally, I think LU will be on top becaue of the close losses, the talent returning, and the possible transfers. Coastal would be second, G-W third, VMI fourth, and CSU fifth. CSU was nothing after Drafts got hurt last year. Jim Reid will keep VMI in games, especially in Lexington.

Any idea of how many of the 36 stacked up on the depth chart.

MarkCCU
December 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
#1 Coastal or Liberty
#2 Liberty or Coastal
#3 Gardner Webb
#4 Chuck South
#5 VMI

:thumbsup:

of course VMI will be last..that's a gimme

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm saying VMI won't finish last next year.

chantman
December 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Any idea of how many of the 36 stacked up on the depth chart.

On onfense, CCU returns 6 full time starters. The returning RT, TE and RB got a lot of time last season. The big holes will be at QB and C.

On defense, CCU returns guys who were starting at the end of the season. Questions will need to be answered at MLB and one of the DT spots. If DE Adrian Grady gets a medical redshirt for last season, he will add depth to the DL.

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
On onfense, CCU returns 6 full time starters. The returning RT, TE and RB got a lot of time last season. The big holes will be at QB and C.

On defense, CCU returns guys who were starting at the end of the season. Questions will need to be answered at MLB and one of the DT spots. If DE Adrian Grady gets a medical redshirt for last season, he will add depth to the DL.

How about Simpson?

bodoyle
December 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM
#1 Coastal or Liberty
#2 Liberty or Coastal
#3 Chuck South
#4 GDubb
#5 VMI

bodoyle
December 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM
How about Simpson?

He will be a senior this coming season.

chantman
December 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Jermone Simpson will return for his senior season.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
How many playoff appearances does Liberty have?

rokamortis
December 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
This is like deja vu. For the past 3 years, at the beginning of every year the talk is that Liberty and Gardner-Webb are going to be back on top. I'm hoping that we can help spoil those wishes again. It won't be easy, but I don't think we are in as bad of shape as some want to believe.

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM
How many playoff appearances does Liberty have?

I don't think we've ever made it. We barely missed it in 96 I think when we had a 9-2 record. The schedule was the problem that year.

CSUBUCDAD
December 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I predict yet a third straight shootout between CCU and CSU for the title.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think we've ever made it. We barely missed it in 96 I think when we had a 9-2 record. The schedule was the problem that year.

Would be great to see them make it. 9-2 or 10-1 is the only way I'm guessing.

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
10-1 would be the only way we made it next year. Well, that depends on the other two games we add. If it's an upper echelon I-AA team then we could afford a second loss. However, Presby counts as a DII next year and we have the typical season opening DII. That's the problem.

ATrain
December 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I predict yet a third straight shootout between CCU and CSU for the title.

And your reasons for discounting LU and GW out of the race next year are...?

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
He's somehow forgetting the fact his team lost by 14 to Coastal and Liberty.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
10-1 would be the only way we made it next year. Well, that depends on the other two games we add. If it's an upper echelon I-AA team then we could afford a second loss. However, Presby counts as a DII next year and we have the typical season opening DII. That's the problem.

2 D-II's :nonono2:

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM

The war in Iraq? :nod:

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
2 D-II's :nonono2:

Presby is moving up to I-AA next year and they will be in our conference in 08 I think. All of the Big South schools are playing them in football but since it's their first year, they still count as a DII.

justsaying
December 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I predict this......
1. Gardner-webb & Liberty tie
2. Coastal Carolina
3 Chuck South
4 VMI

PCbluehose
December 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Presby is moving up to I-AA next year and they will be in our conference in 08 I think. All of the Big South schools are playing them in football but since it's their first year, they still count as a DII.

We will be part of the Big South in 07-08. This year was last year PC was a member of D-II. We will be ineligible for any post season or championships until 2011.

So add us to the bottom of the list placewise until then.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM

right, so good reason not to schedule another D-II

Thumper250
December 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
1. LU
2. G-W
3. CCU
4. VMI
5. CSU

bodoyle
December 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
He's somehow forgetting the fact his team lost by 14 to Coastal and Liberty.

SJ, I don't think that he is counting on his team getting that much better, as much as he is assuming CCU drops off with the loss of our seniors.

Just my though.

CSUBUCDAD
December 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Not so much discounting them as I am counting on the fact that save for Collin Drafts, the Bucs are returning the large majority of the skill players on offense and defense. You go back and look at the starters for the Bucs and we did not start that many seniors at all in the skill positions.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Not so much discounting them as I am counting on the fact that save for Collin Drafts, the Bucs are returning the large majority of the skill players on offense and defense. You go back and look at the starters for the Bucs and we did not start that many seniors at all in the skill positions.

Where is Angelo St? Cool picture.

CSUBUCDAD
December 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Where is Angelo St? Cool picture.
San Angelo, Texas

chantman
December 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
True Papa Buc. The real question for CSU is what will the 2007 schedule look like. If is similar to 2006, :nonono2: expect another run.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM
True Papa Buc. The real question for CSU is what will the 2007 schedule look like. If is similar to 2006, :nonono2: expect another run.

The schedule seemed to work fairly well for them. :D

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM

You guys were absolutely lost without Drafts in last year. You scored a TD but it was in garbage time. The backup QB just kept getting drilled too. I'm not trying to talk trash, but unless your backup steps it up big time, you guys aren't going to contend.

Coastal89
December 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I think we might have the answer at QB. He's 6'5" 225lb, runs a 4.7 40YD, out of Hargrave MA and he starts at Coastal in January.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73NrnmznZ-8

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I think we might have the answer at QB. He's 6'5" 225lb, runs a 4.7 40YD, out of Hargrave MA and he starts at Coastal in January.

Looks pretty good. Think he'll contribute as a freshman?

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM

When did you guys pull him in? I know the big question was if it was going to be Will or Ren or whatever. Is this kid a transfer or is he just graduating high school early?

Coastal89
December 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
When did you guys pull him in? I know the big question was if it was going to be Will or Ren or whatever. Is this kid a transfer or is he just graduating high school early?
He graduated from Wando HS in 06 and went to Hargrave Military last semester in order to get out of an LOI that he signed with Newberry.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
He graduated from Wando HS in 06 and went to Hargrave Military last semester in order to get out of an LOI that he signed with Newberry.

smart kid.

SuperJon
December 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Makes sense. I read Hargrave and figured he went there, but the MA through me off.

Coastal89
December 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
smart kid.
1400 on the SAT:nod:

Coastal89
December 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Here's an article about him.

Hargrave quarterback looks like big-timer

The lunchtime spread wasn’t up to its normal standards, but a trip to Chatham for Hargrave Military Academy’s preseason media day Monday was no less beneficial.

You could have called it the Jamie Childers coming out party.

Childers is a 6-foot-5, 225-pound quarterback from Mt. Pleasant, S.C., and what he’s doing at Hargrave, nobody knows.

When Hargrave offensive coordinator Ryan Sulkowski got his first look at Childers, here’s what he thought:

“NFL,” Sulkowski said.

(That’s the same Sulkowski who saved the day Monday by heading to Subway and bringing back food for the masses; i.e., his boss and assorted media gadflies.)

As usual, there was an obscene amount of talent on hand, much of it placed at Hargrave by Division I-A programs, but Childers is at Hargrave with no strings attached.

Childers signed a letter-of-intent with Newberry, a Division II program, but elected not to enroll – to re-enter the draft, so to speak – and try to improve his stock at Hargrave. Grades aren’t an issue. According to Hargrave coach Robert Prunty, Childers has 1,400 on the SAT.

Prunty thinks that Childers is going to be the best quarterback to play for him, but who would that include?

“That’s what I’m saying,” Prunty said. “We’ve only had Cory Holt.”

Holt is battling for the No. 2 quarterback spot at Virginia Tech. He may not be chicken wings, cold cuts and potato salad, but, hey, Subway’s not bad.

It turns out, Childers was born in Roanoke, living in the Star City only briefly before Westvaco transferred his father to the Charleston, S.C., area.

“You just talked to [Childers],” Prunty said. “He comes off as the All-American kid. Nice-looking. Tall. Well-proportioned. Real respectful. Can play.

“This guy is going to get a big-time scholarship out of here. I don’t know who’s going to sign him, but it will be a huge program when they come in and see this guy.”

So, why wasn’t Childers more heavily recruited? For one thing, he was a baseball player. For another, he only went to one camp, at South Carolina, where he got good reviews, but Gamecocks’ coach and passing guru Steve Spurrier can pick and choose his QBs.

Childers played in a run-oriented offense, although he did pass for 1,800 yards as a senior. He can run 40 yards in close to 4.5 seconds and can do a 360-degree dunk in basketball.

“I want to go big-time – SEC, ACC, Big 10, someplace like that,” Childers said. “My dad heard about [Hargrave] through word of mouth. Once I found out I could come here and was free to sign again, I was all for it.”
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/notebookplus/wb/wb/xp-79742

rokamortis
December 28th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Looks pretty good. Think he'll contribute as a freshman?

I have the same question. He'll have all 4 years plus a redshirt when he comes in.

We return a senior, McKinnon, who shared time in 03 and 04 with Thigpen and did a good job when he took over with about 4 games left in 04 when Thig got hurt. He is very quick and more of a runner than a passer. He was moved to WR in 05 and was hurt in 06 and missed all of last season. We also have a RS junior, Richardson, who is a pocket passer but doesn't have much speed. The guy is big too at 6-5 230, he is roughly the same size as Childers but doesn't have the wheels.

Does Bennett give the nod to the new guy or let the older guys have the first shot? I would bet he gives the older guys the first shot, but will also let the best man win. Right now my gut is telling me that they'll use McKinnon as a utility back/WR with Richardson and Childers fighting over who will be the trigger man. But I guess we'll know a little more after Spring training as a lot can happen between now and then.

chantman
December 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
With Jamie coming in January, he will get all of the Spring work.

The Gadfly
January 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
#1 - CCU

#2 - Gardner-Webb

#3 - Liberty

#4 - CSU

#5 - VMI

As for QB's I would like see Will get the nod, but he needs to earn it.

Sly Fox
January 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Just for grins, I'll add the Hose to the list:

1. Liberty
2. G-W
3. CCU
4. VMI
5. CSU
6. PC

Frankly, I see the Top 3 as fairly close. And I agree with SJ that VMI is a comer. Reid will have that team giving the rest of us fits this fall (he nearly did in '06). And Presby was going to have a tough enough time this fall before having to deal with a coaching change.