PDA

View Full Version : JMU gets transfer

blur2005
July 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
This is a week old, but I noticed it hasn't been mentioned.

Dukes Get Another Transfer

Receiver Arrives From N.C. State By MIKE BARBER

Daily News-Record

The highlight of Chris Hawkins' two years at North Carolina State was his 34-yard touchdown catch against Virginia in 2003. Hawkins, who transferred to James Madison this summer, hopes to have a more productive impact with the reigning Division I-AA football champions.

"I felt there was a need to move on," Hawkins said Thursday, declining to elaborate. "Different issues, I just felt better to move on to James Madison. It was a better opportunity."

Hawkins, who has been at JMU since May and is already taking classes, will have two years of eligibility for the Dukes. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound wide receiver from Henderson, N.C., caught just nine passes for 89 yards and one touchdown in two seasons for the Wolfpack.

"We're always looking for more offensive firepower," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Thursday. "He had played a lot as a freshman at N.C. State and didn't play as much last year."

Hawkins' playing time dipped from his freshman to his sophomore year, and he withdrew from school without completing the spring semester, he said.

N.C. State coaches were not available for comment. Hawkins' wide receivers coach there, Doc Holliday, is now an assistant at Florida. Holliday did not return a phone message Thursday.

Hawkins said he chose N.C. State out of Southern Vance High School in Henderson over Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Wake Forest. When it was time to transfer, he said the I-AA national champions were the only team he seriously considered.

Matthews said "close friends" on the N.C. State coaching staff helped him lure Hawkins to JMU. But Hawkins said he came because his brother went to high school with former Madison player Richard Hicks.

Also, Hawkins said his grandmother lives nearby in Woodstock.

Hawkins took a business course in the first summer session and plans to major in kinesiology.

At JMU, he'll join a passing attack that played second-fiddle to the Dukes' dominating running game last fall. The team ranked next-to-last in the Atlantic 10 in passing, averaging 154.7 yards per game, but was second in the conference and 20th in the nation in rushing offense, pounding out 212.9 yards per game on the ground.

The Dukes return talented pass-catchers from last year's team, including D.D. Boxley, their top receiver, and highly regarded L.C. Baker. As a freshman, Baker caught 18 passes for 135 yards. Boxley, a rising junior, caught 44 passes for 636 yards and five touchdowns, all team highs.

But Madison did lose its second- and third-most productive receivers from last year's team: receiver Nic Tolley and tight end Tom Ridley.

Hawkins is the second Division I transfer JMU is adding as it looks to defend its title. Virginia Tech offensive lineman Mike Parham joined Madison this summer, too.

Hawkins also is JMU's second N.C. State transfer in recent years. Quarterback Charles Berry transferred to Madison in Matthews' first season, 1999. In two years, he threw for 2,301 yards, ranking eighth all-time.

Another transfer quarterback, Justin Rascati from Louisville, led the Dukes to the 2004 national title. Other transfers haven't contributed as much.

Receiver Khary Sharpe (Duke) and safety Robbie Catterton (Virginia) were limited by injuries last season. Linebacker Mike Brown (Virginia Tech) played in 13 games totaling 18 tackles. But Brown was dismissed during spring practice for undisclosed disciplinary reasons.

Matthews said Thursday that Brown could be reinstated in the fall, but said no decision has been made.

Brown was a projected starter at the linebacker position, alongside former Harrisonburg High School standout Akeem Jordan. Jordan had surgery on his injured foot performed at U.Va. two weeks ago.

Matthews said Jordan will be on crutches for two more weeks and then in a boot for two weeks after that. He injured his fifth metatarsal playing pickup basketball three weeks ago, Matthews said.

Matthews said Jordan will miss the beginning of fall practice, which starts Aug. 7.

Copyright (c) 2005, Byrd Newspapers, All Rights Reserved

I didn't want to post the whole thing, but the Daily News-Record, Harirsonburg's paper, now makes you pay $2.95 for archived articles that are older than 14 days, which this one will be in about a week. So I threw in the copyright to show where I got it. You know, gotta cite your sources.

MR. CHICKEN
July 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
FIRST UMASS...NOW YOU GUYS!.........................BRAWK!

JMU2004
July 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
UD has many more transfers than JMU, so I think ya'll lead by example. Still, JMU and UD turn down MANY transfers per year

UMass is a whole nother animal.....if you can play, you can show up in Amherst. Prop 48 is very friendly to UMass

Hoo-ah
July 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM
UD has many more transfers than JMU, so I think ya'll lead by example. Still, JMU and UD turn down MANY transfers per year

UMass is a whole nother animal.....if you can play, you can show up in Amherst. Prop 48 is very friendly to UMass

Could you please back up this comment with data/numbers. If you are going to make a public accusation like this, it would be helpful to back it up. Personally, I feel that your statement is not just incorrect but uncalled for in a public forum such as this.

Thank you

blur2005
July 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Could you please back up this comment with data/numbers. If you are going to make a public accusation like this, it would be helpful to back it up. Personally, I feel that your statement is not just incorrect but uncalled for in a public forum such as this.

Thank you
Christ...

Hoo-ah
July 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Christ...

Not sure he has the data that I'm looking to see... :smiley_wi

JMU2004
July 8th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I think your starting RB is a perfect example

or Marcus Camby

I can keep going if you like

do you deny that UMass has prop-48 standards?

do you deny that Umass accepts questionable student-Athletes? I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with that AS long as those ahtletes graduate. I am simply saying that UD and JMU would not be able to enroll some of the athletes that UMass does on a regular basis.

If I am wrong, prove it to me, and I will admit it.

Hoo-ah
July 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM

or Marcus Camby

do you deny that Umass accepts questionable student-Athletes? I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with that AS long as those ahtletes graduate. I am simply saying that UD and JMU would not be able to enroll some of the athletes that UMass does on a regular basis.

Please keep going--you haven't given me any "real data" yet. Just one example of a student athlete (Baylark) who paid his OWN money to attend community college to get his grades up. He could have quit, transferred to a smaller school, but he didn't. I give him all the credit in the world for what he has accomplished.

Sorry to make this personal, but you need to get off your high horse. You went to JMU for Christ sakes!!!! Not UVA, Vatech, Gtown, or GW!

I'm still going to wait on your data/numbers...I called you out.

umassfan
July 9th, 2005, 12:38 AM

or Marcus Camby

Umm buddy if you wana try to post facts post the correct facts... Camby was never a prop 48 kid.

WMTribe90
July 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM

or Marcus Camby

No offense, but a school that graduated 33% of its football players according to the most recent NCAA statistics probably shouldn't be lecturing anyone about graduating players.

blur2005
July 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Sorry to make this personal, but you need to get off your high horse. You went to JMU for Christ sakes!!!! Not UVA, Vatech, Gtown, or GW!
Actually, I wouldn't include Virginia Tech on that list. Engineering, and I guess the Veterinary School are the only areas where Tech is really that much better than JMU, and JMU has some areas where it is better. So really, I wouldn't put VATech ahead of JMU.

Hoo-ah
July 9th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Fine, whatever--JMU has better programs in some areas then Vatech--you're right .

Below is from the most recent NCAA Graduation rates. Make your own judgment between JMU and Umass. Here is the link for the NCAA:

http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/index.html

Umass-Amherst

-------- FOOTBALL --------- ---------- OTHER ----------
FRESHMAN RATE TRANSFER FRESHMAN RATE TRANSFER
97-98 4-CLASS 4-CLASS 97-98 4-CLASS 4-CLASS
MEN % N % % % % %
Am. Indian/AN - - - - - -
Asian/PI - - - - 100-a -
Black 83-b 74-d 40-a - 100-a 100-a
Hispanic 0-a 0-a 0-a 0-a 0-a 100-a
White 100-b 72-e 25-a 87-c 69-e 64-c
N-R Alien - - - 33-a 71-b 100-a
Other 100-a 100-a 0-a 50-a 33-a -
Total 82-d 71-e 25-c 71-e 68-e 71-c

JMU

-------- FOOTBALL --------- ---------- OTHER ----------
FRESHMAN RATE TRANSFER FRESHMAN RATE TRANSFER
97-98 4-CLASS 4-CLASS 97-98 4-CLASS 4-CLASS
MEN % N % % % % %
Am. Indian/AN - 100-a - - - -
Asian/PI - - - - 100-a -
Black 10-b 35-e 67-b - 0-a -
Hispanic - - - 100-a 100-a -
White 80-a 70-e 50-b 69-c 79-e 100-a
N-R Alien - - - 100-a 100-a 33-a
Other - - - - - 100-a
Total 33-c 54-e 58-c 75-d 78-e 75-b

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
masshole

Hoo-ah
July 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
xidiotx
masshole

JMU Duke Dog
July 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
This is a week old, but I noticed it hasn't been mentioned.

I posted this topic awhile ago on AGS. Below is the link:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1727

blur2005
July 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM
My bad. I think I remember reading it, but somehow forgot. I was looking around for it, but couldn't find it.

rufus
July 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Was that guy serious about the VA Tech thing?? I can't really think of any Tech programs that are better than JMU programs, with the exception of those programs that JMU simply doesn't have (i.e. engineering, agricultural sciences).

JMU2004
July 9th, 2005, 08:21 PM
hey, if im wrong, im wrong.......So I admit it, I am wrong

but UMass does take prop 48s....that I know

didn't UMass get in a lot of trouble due to Camby?

and using the 97-98 gradt rate for JMU is a bit misleading....Alex Wood was a big fan of transfers and JUCO's, which count against the grad rate. With the way that UMass has loaded up on transfers the last few years, you too can expect to see a low grad number in a few years.

umassfan
July 10th, 2005, 01:45 AM
hey, if im wrong, im wrong.......So I admit it, I am wrong

but UMass does take prop 48s....that I know

didn't UMass get in a lot of trouble due to Camby?

and using the 97-98 gradt rate for JMU is a bit misleading....Alex Wood was a big fan of transfers and JUCO's, which count against the grad rate. With the way that UMass has loaded up on transfers the last few years, you too can expect to see a low grad number in a few years.
The Camby issues had nothing to do with prop 48's... Camby won every player of the year award his JR season and agents came calling. Thats where the issues happened.