PDA

View Full Version : State rankings...e$pn strikes again

AppGuy04
December 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
per ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=communityfbIP

hmmmmmm, funny, I could swear there were more than 5 DI teams in North Carolina, ignorance is bliss I guess

AppGuy04
December 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Others of note:

49. MontanaNo. 50 pro | No. 42 college | No. 46 high school: The Treasure State has no DI or NFL teams.

48. MaineNo. 45 pro | No. 47 college | No. 49 high school: The Pine Tree State has no DI or NFL teams.

46. North DakotaNo. 48 pro | No. 44 college | No. 40 high school: The Peace Garden State has no DI or NFL teams.

42. New HampshireNo. 38 pro | No. 45 college | No. 48 high school: The Granite State has no DI or NFL teams.

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
assholes better start counting FCS teams or we'll riot!!

AppGuy04
December 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM

I sent them a message saying that they are forgetting the only North Carolina team with a national championship

HiHiYikas
December 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Montana has no DI teams?

:bang:

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
They list Iowa as having 2 Division I teams. We actually have 4. I sent them a msg. ;)

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM
NDSU beat a FBS team and dominated another but didnt win. NDSU beat Wisconsin and Marquette in basketball. I think that can deserve a little credit IMO.

griz8791
December 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Montana has no DI teams?

They list Iowa as having 2 Division I teams. We actually have 4. I sent them a msg.

It's not like this is a mere technicality, because our BB team could not have played in the tournament this year if we were not Division I in all sports. The more I hear the media equate I-A with Division I the more I approve of the FCS name change. It's worth it if it causes even one of these thoughtless people to pause even for a moment to try to understand what "Division I" really means.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
We need to start AGSN. Then we'll talk Ralph into covering some FBS for the network only and we'll run them out of business.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Also, they should ask Iowa and Iowa State how many D-I schools are in Iowa. We almost beat Iowa State in football and Drake and UNI both beat Iowa and Iowa State in Men's basketball. :nod:

catbob
December 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
They list the Cats as winning three I-AA national championships, when we only have one. Also they said we won a NC in 1965 - we were something like 3-7 in 65. 56' was a different story, though. :)

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
They have the #1 state right...

1. Texas
No. 4 pro | No. 1 college | No. 1 high school: The Lone Star State has 10 DI teams, six Heismans*, six national titles**, three AFL titles***, five Super Bowl wins and 24 NFL Hall of Famers****.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM

1. Texas
No. 4 pro | No. 1 college | No. 1 high school: The Lone Star State has 10 DI teams, six Heismans*, six national titles**, three AFL titles***, five Super Bowl wins and 24 NFL Hall of Famers****.

interesante.

HiHiYikas
December 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I don't feel like searching for the earlier thread, but some time ago, an article naming Mississippi the best per capita football state in the U.S. was posted here on AGS. I thought that was pretty interesting.

LeopardFan04
December 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Glad to see PA place high at #4, although a lot of the info in the description seems suspect...

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
ESPN would never have suspect information. ;)

LeopardFan04
December 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Of course not. :rotateh:

UNHWildCats
December 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM

we can call upon UMass to lead the way, they have fresh experience:D xlolx xlolx

December 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
E$PN IS A JOKE!
BOYCOTT E$PN!

UNHWildCats
December 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.espn.go.com/photo/2006/1226/sn_newHampshire_450.jpg

blukeys
December 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Rhode Island ahead of Delaware (3 NFL Hall of Famers) and Montana. You know these guys really do their homework.

OhioHen
December 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM

True - to be suspect information it would have to improve from incorrect information. :nod:

gophoenix
December 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I sent them a message saying that they are forgetting the only North Carolina team with a national championship

Either quantify that statement or get the facts straight.

Lenoir-Rhyne won the first Football National Championship for a NC school.
Elon won back to back, including winning the national championship _IN_ NC.
Western Carolina went to a I-AA championship in the 80s.
Then Gardner-Webb went to the D-II championship in 1992.

All of this before App had played in a championship game, let alone won one. Be proud of the domination that you are displaying presently, but don't dump on what the other guys in the state have done too.

I think it is safe the say that outside of the Duke's one Rose Bowl bid, and East Carolina's lone top 10 finish in I-A .... that the lower divisions own football in NC.

KJ Eagle
December 28th, 2006, 07:15 AM

All of this before App had played in a championship game, let alone won one. Be proud of the domination that you are displaying presently, but don't dump on what the other guys in the state have done too.

I think it is safe the say that outside of the Duke's one Rose Bowl bid, and East Carolina's lone top 10 finish in I-A .... that the lower divisions own football in NC.

Don't get your panties in a wad... he's talking about this year only. If you weren't so upset about the fact that you are an Elon fan, you may have realized that...:smiley_wi

andy7171
December 28th, 2006, 07:20 AM

:rolleyes: Oh please, he's talking about this year.:rolleyes:

AppGuy04
December 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM

It's quite obvious I am referring to ESPN's oh so short memory, say 2 weeks ago:rolleyes:

spelunker64
December 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
They have a picture of the Nickel Trophy, which we haven't played for since we moved up and UND refused to play us. Also they have the high school and college reports reversed. Guess we should be glad that E$PN included little 'ol ND in their rankings...

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I don't feel like searching for the earlier thread, but some time ago, an article naming Mississippi the best per capita football state in the U.S. was posted here on AGS. I thought that was pretty interesting.

It is particularly interesting consider Mississippi doesn't have any capita:eyebrow: :o

ccd494
December 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=communityfbIP

Apparently ESPN doesn't realize that Montana, Maine, etc. have division one football teams.

henfan
December 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I nuked them.

gophoenix
December 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ok sorry, I thought this a "recent history" type of poll. When the poll talks about hall of famers and such, it seems that it is going into more than just a "this year" type of stance.

andy7171
December 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Doesn't explain your 4 obscure facts, two of which dealt with Division II.

UNHWILDCATS05
December 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Already sent them a message

UNHWILDCATS05
December 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Just sent them a message... doubt anything will change...

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
E$PN IS A JOKE!
BOYCOTT E$PN!

It's hard to when they broadcast a few of our basketball games. : smh :

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
True - to be suspect information it would have to improve from incorrect information. :nod:

xlolx very true.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM

oh snap. :cool:

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:24 AM
message sent yesterday.

Go Bison
December 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
They have a picture of the Nickel Trophy, which we haven't played for since we moved up and UND refused to play us. Also they have the high school and college reports reversed. Guess we should be glad that E$PN included little 'ol ND in their rankings...

The poll question has the Nickel Trophy, Sitting Bull Trophy, and the Potato Bowl? What about the Dakota Marker Trophy which had a sellout with over 19,000 people in attendance.

I can't believe they didn't mention Phil Hansen who played for the Buffalo Bills for 11 years as a starter.

NDSUFREAK
December 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
The poll question has the Nickel Trophy, Sitting Bull Trophy, and the Potato Bowl? What about the Dakota Marker Trophy which had a sellout with over 19,000 people in attendance.

I can't believe they didn't mention Phil Hansen who played for the Buffalo Bills for 11 years as a starter.

played in 4 super bowls I believe.

Stress Reliever (http://www.hortplus.com/FreeStuf/Stress/Stress.htm) Go there and scroll to the bottom. Press one of the links and the game is that you can hammer, shoot, or do what ever to you computer screen. Not sure if you can get a website on it or not.

edit: just go to espn.com before starting the game.

MarkCCU
December 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
They will probably leave Robert Porcher. he played for SCSU in the 1980's and then with the Detroit Lions and will probably get into the HOF.

Cobblestone
December 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
No surprise that R.I. ranks dead last in high school football.

MarkCCU
December 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Staggering differences such as a ranking of 49th in public education and 12th in high school football are numbers you can only expect to find in a state like South Carolina. If you looked at USA Today's Super 25 this past season, you might have been shocked to notice that South Carolina had three ranked schools at one time, tied for most in the country with Ohio.

It might be small, but 51 current NFL players call South Carolina home, including Troy Brown, Richard Seymour and Stephen Davis. Hall of Fame lineman and current Raiders coach Art Shell was born in Charleston. Spring 2006 DI signees: 34. Fall 2006 high school football teams: 190.

hmmmm

GrizDen
December 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Others of note:
49. MontanaNo. 50 pro | No. 42 college | No. 46 high school: The Treasure State has no DI or NFL teams.

48. MaineNo. 45 pro | No. 47 college | No. 49 high school: The Pine Tree State has no DI or NFL teams.

Even with the flawed process of not counting the FCS teams as DI (way to go E$PN), I must fight for Montana to jump Maine for the coveted #48 spot. :p Montana is 5 below in pro's, 5 ahead in college, so that is a tie. Montana's High School Ranking is 3 higher than Maine, so why are their overall rankings not reveresed????

I've lost a lot of respect for ESPN over the last two years. The few positives:
Getting most of the FCS playoffs on national TV (although the announcer need work).
College GameDay crew (even though it sure would be nice if they picked one FCS game each year to attend, let's start with next years chipper).
Ummmmm....I can't think of any other positives at this time

gophoenix
December 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Sure it does.... if this was over the lifetime of the state and football, then a championship is a championship.

Besides, if D-II doesn't matter, then why do you guys get your panties ina wad over I-A guys dissing you? Pot meet kettle.

JALMOND
December 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM
They list the Cats as winning three I-AA national championships, when we only have one. Also they said we won a NC in 1965 - we were something like 3-7 in 65. 56' was a different story, though. :)

Cats won a national championship in 1976 and 1984 I believe. Can't recall the other one.

HiHiYikas
December 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
What kind of National Championship did MSU win in 1976? That was 2 years before I-AA existed, wasn't it?

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Sure it does.... if this was over the lifetime of the state and football, then a championship is a championship.

Besides, if D-II doesn't matter, then why do you guys get your panties ina wad over I-A guys dissing you? Pot meet kettle.

Elon meet the bottom of the SoCon. :thumbsup:

jstate83
December 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Mississippi has held that title for a while.
Colleges be burning this state up during recruiting season.
You know the saying...........The South........Football.........Religion. xlolx

We number 25 on this list in a state that barely has 3 million people.

Mississippi has flooded the NFL with talented players over the years. Jackson State alone boasts a Hall of Fame lineup of Walter Payton (21,803 yards rushing and receiving), Lions cornerback Lem Barney and tackle Jackie Slater (20 seasons for the Rams). And it's only a matter of time until Mississippi Valley State receiver Jerry Rice and Southern Miss quarterback Brett Favre join them. Mississippi tackle Frank "Bruiser" Kinard earned his nickname in the NFL of the 1930s and '40s.

Literary legends are nice, but quarterback Archie Manning's story is nonfiction. Current Giants quarterback Eli Manning walked through The Grove, as did running back Deuce McAllister. Coach Johnny Vaught's teams won 190 games, including a share of the 1960 national title. The Rebels battle for the Golden Egg with Mississippi State, a charter member of the SEC. Among the Bulldogs in the NFL are wide receiver Eric Moulds. Punter Ray Guy played at Southern Miss.

Pound-for-pound, Mississippi has some of the most talented football players in America, with nine ESPN 150 players over the past two years. It also has tough national high school programs such as Meridian and South Panola. Spring 2006 DI signees: 50. Fall 2006 high school football teams: 237

The University of South Panola finished #9 in the USATODAY Highschool football poll.
60 game win streak, 4 5A state championships in a row, 7 overall.

They took an undefeated and VERY GOOD Meridian team apart for the second year in a row for the 5A State Championship.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM
What kind of National Championship did MSU win in 1976? That was 2 years before I-AA existed, wasn't it?

That would have been a D-II National Championship. (They took out UNH in the Quarterfinals.)

ucdtim17
December 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I usually don't jump on these 'bash the ignorant sportswriter/media company' bandwagons that you guys get going here, but I couldn't help myself with this one.

They should probably inform the NCAA that FCS schools are no longer DI. It'll be news to them

aggie6thman
December 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I usually don't jump on these 'bash the ignorant sportswriter/media company' bandwagons that you guys get going here, but I couldn't help myself with this one.

They should probably inform the NCAA that FCS schools are no longer DI. It'll be news to them

Unfortunately, they will never change their ways. As long as the money still exists in the BCS, it will drive their articles and programming. :( :nonono2:

MR. CHICKEN
December 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM

1. Texas

DELAWARE IS DUH.....FIRST STATE..........UH KAT...NAMED "CEASAR RODNEY".....CLINCHED IT!................:nod:........AWK!

TUBBY CUDDAH MADE DAT RIDE...BACK IN DUH DAY......:nod:...BRAWK!

chiapet9
December 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM

JMU is the only DI school in VA with a National Championship....I feel your pain. :bang:

RockJMUStar
December 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
JMU is the only DI school in VA with a National Championship....I feel your pain. :bang:

I made sure to inform ESPN of this matter yesterday! :thumbsup: That should bump Virginia up to #1 right?:eek:

chiapet9
December 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I made sure to inform ESPN of this matter yesterday! :thumbsup: That should bump Virginia up to #1 right?:eek:

should at least put us in the top 10 right? :nod:

RockJMUStar
December 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM
JMU is the Virginia Flagship. Top 10! Even though UVA is a bunch of cookie dough eatin, zima drinkin, ascot wearing weenies that drags our ranking down.