PDA

View Full Version : Dom Izzo - Bracketology 2016

SU DOG
August 22nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
Super early, but he gives it a shot. I'm not at all an expert on the CAA, but FIVE teams get in?

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2016-bracketology-1-0/

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2016, 09:49 AM
No. Just no.

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2016, 09:50 AM
Well, there goes my playoff travel plans.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
UND vs. South Dakota State. Yes please.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 10:00 AM

You don't want that game. You really really don't want that game.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Oh yah we do. We damn well do.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 10:05 AM
Oh yah we do. We damn well do.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want it. It'll be a home game, now way we get outbid by anyone other than NDSU or Montana for a home playoff game in the new stadium. I love a matchup with Wieneke against your secondary. He'll have 100+ yards by halftime.

clenz
August 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, I definitely want it. It'll be a home game, now way we get outbid by anyone other than NDSU or Montana for a home playoff game in the new stadium. I love a matchup with Wieneke against your secondary. He'll have 100+ yards by halftime.
Yeah...but you get a second trip to the UNIDome as a reward.

Much like our reward for curb-stomping EIU and PSU in the playoffs last season being told "Good job...go to Fargo again"

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
Yeah...but you get a second trip to the UNIDome as a reward.

Much like our reward for curb-stomping EIU and PSU in the playoffs last season being told "Good job...go to Fargo again"

Unless we get a seed our reward will be, for now and forever more, to go to Montana, NDSU, or the UNIdome occasionally.

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2016, 11:14 AM
No. Just no.

Sorry that Lehigh doesn't make the cut, once again.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
NDSU.... In Fargo.... No thanks.

Save them for Frisco. xnodx

melloware13
August 22nd, 2016, 11:35 AM
I would think that Villanova and Towson could be flipped, given similar capacities and Towson's better avg. attendance

jacksfan29
August 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM

Totally agree. If we aren't getting a 1st round bye, I'll take an easy, non-physical game to start things off.

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2016, 11:46 AM
Totally agree. If we aren't getting a 1st round bye, I'll take an easy, non-physical game to start things off.
I care for UND as much as the average NDSU fans does... which is not at all but I'll give them and Bubba some credit. They're building themselves more in the MVFC image than the Big Sky image (weight room jokes non-withstanding). Power football with an emphasis on the trenches moreso than the edges. They're already better equipped than most Big Sky teams to play physical MVFC style football.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2016, 11:47 AM

Bracketologies in August are only slightly more useful as birdcage linings than a way to wipe your ass

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 11:48 AM

You really know your FCS football. xdrunkyx

Professor Chaos
August 22nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Bracketologies in August are only slightly more useful as birdcage linings than a way to wipe your ass
Feel free to not comment on it then. Very little we chat about during the offseason has much usefulness. This is really no different from a preseason poll, it's good for discussion but shouldn't be taken that seriously.

clenz
So this is what draws LFN out of hiding....interesting

Sammy94
Looks good to me.....NDSU vs SHSU in Frisco, 3rd times the charm. It's only fitting that it be Sam that finally dethrones the champ.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
NDSU.... In Fargo.... No thanks.

Save them for Frisco. xnodx

Oh, poor poor JSU. You would have to beat NDSU in Fargo. Tell me how unfair life is as the Jacks have only had to opportunity to NOT go to fargo in the playoffs once.

clenz
August 22nd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Oh, poor poor JSU. You would have to beat NDSU in Fargo. Tell me how unfair life is as the Jacks have only had to opportunity to NOT go to fargo in the playoffs once.
Yeah...imagine having to play a real team in the playoffs prior to the title game.

What a rough ****ing life.

Oh...wait...we have to play NDSU every damn year no matter what. Twice a year at this point with how the playoffs are set up

smilo
August 22nd, 2016, 12:29 PM
Wow, you guys are rough. I was expecting ridiculous teams in this based on the response. Honestly, flip in WIU over ISU-r, flip JMU and W&M on the bye, and maybe get Portland St in there over YSU or Nova, and that would be OK with me. It's August - don't freak out over 2 seeds!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2016, 12:31 PM
I'd wager that Colgate and Fordham do not finish 1-2 in the PL. The second PL team in the playoffs will either be Lehigh or Holy Cross....xnodx

jacksfan29
August 22nd, 2016, 01:20 PM
You really know your FCS football. xdrunkyx

That's right, your guys have been in the weight room, working hard. Sorry, not real concerned about UND in any round.

jacksfan29
August 22nd, 2016, 01:23 PM
I care for UND as much as the average NDSU fans does... which is not at all but I'll give them and Bubba some credit. They're building themselves more in the MVFC image than the Big Sky image (weight room jokes non-withstanding). Power football with an emphasis on the trenches moreso than the edges. They're already better equipped than most Big Sky teams to play physical MVFC style football.

Watched them play last year. Sorry, not concerned; at all.

And the post was a shot at a Whioux fan who "WANTS" the SDSU game. They are still a mid-pack BSC school. An easy schedule that may get them into the playoffs won't change that. They will be the SUU of 2016.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Watched them play last year. Sorry, not concerned; at all.

And the post was a shot at a Whioux fan who "WANTS" the SDSU game. They are still a mid-pack BSC school. An easy schedule that may get them into the playoffs won't change that. They will be the SUU of 2016.

Seen you guys play many times. Much rather play SDSU than NDSU/UNI, simple as that. Not saying UND would win but match up pretty well, IMO.

Will be interesting to see how big your AD goes on bidding this year.

clenz
August 22nd, 2016, 01:34 PM
Seen you guys play many times. Much rather play SDSU than NDSU/UNI, simple as that. Not saying UND would win but match up pretty well, IMO.

19k seat stadium in inaugural season. I'd bet a minumum of 400K. That's an average of $21 per ticket. That isn't too bad.

That means UND would have to bid based on a complete sell out at an average of $34 a ticket to outbid SDSU and not lose money

Given a 1.4 BILLION dollar shortfall in the budget, I doubt UND gets close

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 01:39 PM
19k seat stadium in inaugural season. I'd bet a minumum of 400K. That's an average of $21 per ticket. That isn't too bad.

That means UND would have to bid based on a complete sell out at an average of $34 a ticket to outbid SDSU and not lose money

They shut down campus the other day. 1.4 billion was too much to overcome. :D

I think UND would go up to 200K or so. No way they can bid 400K.

geaux_sioux
August 22nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Kinda do actually. Really really kinda do.

geaux_sioux
August 22nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
You do know Mussman isn't here anymore right? I'll bet UND is the more physical team this year and I hope we get to show you in person.

clenz
August 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
They shut down campus the other day. 1.4 billion was too much to overcome. :D

I think UND would go up to 200K or so. No way they can bid 400K.
Bids are due sometime in October. By then they'd have a good idea of how many playoff seats they'd be looking at. Given how bidding has rumored to have gone in the past I'd bet a bid of between 375-400 would be likely, to protect themselves from Liberty/JMU/SHSU as much as possible.

geaux_sioux
August 22nd, 2016, 01:56 PM
That's right, your guys have been in the weight room, working hard. Sorry, not real concerned about UND in any round.
Last time we played, when we were a finesse team, you guys escaped Grand Forks with a 35-28 win and that was one of your better teams.
http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3051599

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 02:12 PM
You do know Mussman isn't here anymore right? I'll bet UND is the more physical team this year and I hope we get to show you in person.

No, they aren't and won't be. Keep dreaming.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 02:16 PM

In what ways would UND match up well? The garbage secondary against one of the most potent passing attacks in the country? Or would it be against our really good defense? I don't see where the good match ups are other than "it's better than UNI or NDSU".

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2016, 02:17 PM
UND has one decent season and this is what their posters say?

Go back to the Ralph. Your football teams are trash.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bison56
August 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM

xblahxxblahxxblahxxblahx

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
Seriously. You are not even a top team in the Big Sky, I've seen the top teams in the Big Sky.

Go away. You can talk all this game, but it's literally worthless.

I can't wait to see your dumbasses spout off come playoffs because you "own" your ****tastic schedule and end up losing in the first ****ing round.

Your team isn't very good, and I doubt it will be anytime soon. At least not good enough to actually fight for an FCS title, which apparently according to your posters is so easy to do.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 02:42 PM
Stepping back, there are two ways UND fans could be thinking about this game. Number one is they believe they are as good as SHSU, NDSU, UNI, JSU, ect. I really don't think they do because they aren't upset about playing in the first round.

Number two option is they don't think SDSU is that good. If you don't follow the Valley that's fairly easy thought to fall into. Consistently in the playoffs but never farther than the second round, always loses to NDSU, generally around 3rd in the conference. Lost to WIU last year. That's what I think they are thinking. Similar to what EIU fans and the OVC thought when they went to Brookings. When you're in the MVFC, it's easy to not look like a great team when you're constantly having 7-4 seasons. Which would make it easy to think it would be a good match up for them. What you don't see is how hard it is to win in Brookings, ask UNI. Especially late in the season, in the cold. Ask EIU, YSU, and ISUr. Hell even ask NDSU. The last time SDSU beat them was late in the season in Brookings. Teams more often than not fold in that environment from what I've seen. Especially teams that aren't used to extremely physical play. Read clenz's write up. Lost in the shuffle with how good UNI and NDSU were last year is how good SDSU was on defense. And we really didn't lose that much. This will not be a team you want to face in the playoffs. The only logic that passes the sniff test is thank god we don't have to go to UNI or NDSU. That logic works. I really don't see it being a good match up. Hell, you guys have to be worried about USD at home. Let alone SDSU.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
SDSU sucks

In the last 8 games, NDSU has outscored SDSU 229 to 106, average score of 29 to 13.

UND Sucks

Verdict - UND sucks more than SDSU sucks, SDSU by 10 (if it ever happens)

McNeese72
August 22nd, 2016, 02:58 PM
Super early, but he gives it a shot. I'm not at all an expert on the CAA, but FIVE teams get in?

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2016-bracketology-1-0/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Doc

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 02:58 PM
Seriously. You are not even a top team in the Big Sky, I've seen the top teams in the Big Sky.

Go away. You can talk all this game, but it's literally worthless.

I can't wait to see your dumbasses spout off come playoffs because you "own" your ****tastic schedule and end up losing in the first ****ing round.

Your team isn't very good, and I doubt it will be anytime soon. At least not good enough to actually fight for an FCS title, which apparently according to your posters is so easy to do.

Considering SDSU has never even come close to fighting for an FCS title, not too crazy.

mango433
August 22nd, 2016, 03:04 PM
Considering SDSU has never even come close to fighting for an FCS title, not too crazy.

Because they constantly have to go into Fargo in the second round due to regionalization. SDSU just about beat NDSU two years ago and could have made a serious run that year if not for NDSU.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Because they constantly have to go into Fargo in the second round due to regionalization. SDSU just about beat NDSU two years ago and could have made a serious run that year if not for NDSU.

Twice in the last 6 years is not constantly but I suppose it seems like that.

Get a home game against UND and beat them to dust, although it could be tough as UND will probably only have 1 or 2 losses and won't get a seed and will be even more pissed and pumped up. :D

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 03:28 PM

If not for NDSU, EWU and Montana you guys would have won a bunch more playoff games. Unfortunately, those teams existed.

If not for Northern Colorado and NWMS, UND would have won multiple D2 National Championships. Oh well.

Wait a second....SDSU is 2-3 against the fluffy, soft Big Sky in the playoffs? No way.

mango433
August 22nd, 2016, 03:28 PM
Twice in the last 6 years is not constantly but I suppose it seems like that.

Get a home game against UND and beat them to dust, although it could be tough as UND will probably only have 1 or 2 losses and won't get a seed and will be even more pissed and pumped up. :D

Well, if SDSU beat Montana last year they would have gone there again. So 3 of the 4 years both SDSU and NDSU have been in the playoffs SDSU was placed to face NDSU in the second round. The other time they went to Eastern Washington in the second round.

mango433
August 22nd, 2016, 03:30 PM
If not for NDSU, EWU and Montana you guys would have won a bunch more playoff games. Unfortunately, those teams existed.

If not for Northern Colorado and NWMS, UND would have won multiple D2 National Championships. Oh well.

Wait a second....SDSU is 2-3 against the fluffy, soft Big Sky in the playoffs? No way.

Curious, how is UND doing against SDSU in the last 5 years?

You haven't even made the playoffs and act like have won multiple national titles.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 03:35 PM
Curious, how is UND doing against SDSU in the last 5 years?

Way to avoid the big, glaring stat at the end.

UND is 0-2 vs. SDSU, with those UND teams being a combined 6-16. Which obviously means there is no way they hang with SDSU ever again.

Hambone
August 22nd, 2016, 03:42 PM
People be getting salty and **** already over the playoffs......should be an excellent year xslapfightx xpopcornx xthumbsupx

mango433
August 22nd, 2016, 03:43 PM
Way to avoid the big, glaring stat at the end.

UND is 0-2 vs. SDSU, with those UND teams being a combined 6-16. Which obviously means there is no way they hang with SDSU ever again.

Aww, yes the old SEC thought process. Only 2-3 against our conference in the playoffs so they can't be any good.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2016, 03:44 PM
Well, if SDSU beat Montana last year they would have gone there again. So 3 of the 4 years both SDSU and NDSU have been in the playoffs SDSU was placed to face NDSU in the second round. The other time they went to Eastern Washington in the second round.

Ok, good point on the Montana game, you would have had to go through NDSU but you didn't so it doesn't count. But, yea, 1/2 of your playoff games going to NDSU is a not good. I should have just included the SDSU playoff years in my previous post.

F'N Hawks
August 22nd, 2016, 03:46 PM
Aww, yes the old SEC thought process. Only 2-3 against our conference in the playoffs so they can't be any good.

Aww, yes, the old rationalizing what somebody actually said.

Did I ever say SDSU sucked? No. I just don't think you are nearly as good as NDSU or UNI when it would come to playoff time and I think UND would be able to make it a game vs. the mighty, history rich J-Rabbs.

The reason I brought up the Big Sky is because it was said earlier (and about a million times before that) how bad they are and how soft they all are.

Bison56
August 22nd, 2016, 03:49 PM
They are mad and stuff, and they are like lifting weights, they are going to smash teams.xcoffeex

Jackal
August 22nd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Lol at the rough hawk posters talking smack. So delusional

UNDColorado
August 22nd, 2016, 04:20 PM
This was a comical read all around. Thanks for the laughs on a slow Monday in the office. Maybe let's play a few games before we argue like children?

Yotes21
August 22nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
Man it would be nice to see an actual coversation on the topic rather than "my dad is tougher than your dad" garbage.

PantherRob82
August 22nd, 2016, 04:32 PM
Man it would be nice to see an actual coversation on the topic rather than "my dad is tougher than your dad" garbage.

Well my dad has been working out with the UND football team, so......

Yotes21
August 22nd, 2016, 04:34 PM
lol, that actually made me laugh. So is he stronger or weaker than if he trained with SDSU?

PantherRob82
August 22nd, 2016, 04:45 PM
lol, that actually made me laugh. So is he stronger or weaker than if he trained with SDSU?

Well they've been in the weight room since they got snubbed. Never left. I miss my dad.

The Yo Show
August 22nd, 2016, 04:54 PM
Did anybody else notice the seeded teams were on the wrong line in the bracket? I.E. they should have all been on the blank lines??? xdrunkyx
Also, pretty pumped as a penguins fan that YSU is projected to make playoffs this year, even if it means we have to play Duquesne twice if this bracket held up.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 05:02 PM
Aww, yes, the old rationalizing what somebody actually said.

Did I ever say SDSU sucked? No. I just don't think you are nearly as good as NDSU or UNI when it would come to playoff time and I think UND would be able to make it a game vs. the mighty, history rich J-Rabbs.

The reason I brought up the Big Sky is because it was said earlier (and about a million times before that) how bad they are and how soft they all are.

However they are 2-1 when the team is not named Montana. Also, every one of those games were on the road. What team out there has a winning record or even a .500 record at Montana since SDSU started being playoff eligible. I'm going to guess it's less than two. Let's see what the record is overall against the Big Bad Sky. Since 2009, when the Jacks made the playoffs the first time, they are 9-5. However, from 2009 to 2011, they were 2-3, with all the losses on the road and all the wins at home. That's an important time frame because those teams were not near as good as the teams from 2012-present day, having two 5-6 teams in there. After that they have been 7-2, with a 4-2 record on the road and 3-0 at home. Also, after 2011, they are 2-2 in the playoffs vs the Big Sky, with all games being on the road and one loss being to the eventual National Champions. Since 2009, no Big Sky team has won a game in Brookings. In fact, the average score is 37-12 in home games for SDSU. I hear it already, but those weren't playoff teams. Well some were, but I'll give that to you. Let's look at the away games. The average score has been SDSU 28-24.33 big Sky Home Team. In the playoff games only, you get an average of 26.75-28. So if you figure in the 3 point swing for home vs away, I think you see quite the different record. In fact, you can scoff at SDSU's record in the playoffs, but every loss has been on the road, they have only gotten one home playoff game, and 2 losses were in Montana and 2 were in Fargo, the two toughest places to play in the FCS. So go ahead and point at the record all you want, but those numbers are pretty misleading considering who and where they games were played. Also, it's glossing over the fact that one loss at Montana was the biggest choke job in the history of the playoffs, the other game they were close to finishing off a come back, and one of the playoff losses in Fargo they were leading with 2 minutes left and lost by three.

If you come down to Brookings in the playoffs you'll see there is a pretty big gap between being a playoff team and being a team a step away from a championship team. Edit: Speaking of coming to Brookings, the average OOC home game State averages 46 points and the visitors average 13.71. And before you cry about weak OOC teams, the two of the biggest blow outs were against conference champions.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 05:03 PM

Well, I kinda have a thread like that in the locker room xlolx

Also, how is a conversation about one of the projected match ups not on topic?

thebootfitter
August 22nd, 2016, 05:14 PM
Did anybody else notice the seeded teams were on the wrong line in the bracket? I.E. they should have all been on the blank lines??? xdrunkyx
Yes. I'm a pretty mellow, easy going guy. And that bugged the $h!t out of me. Just stupid! Gaaahh!

xdrunkyx

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 22nd, 2016, 08:15 PM
JMU v Fordham for a shot W&M would just be a brutal way for those 3 schools to start the tournament. Then the winner goes to Fargo.

This is mostly just a conversation piece but I enjoy the conversation. Izzo is good at his job.

SDFS
August 22nd, 2016, 08:20 PM

Not sure SDSU is going to go crazy with the bidding process. Last home playoff game attendance: 4367. This could change with the new home field in fact I hope that it does. SDSU has always had attendance drop off late in the year.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2016, 08:23 PM
JMU v Fordham for a shot W&M would just be a brutal way for those 3 schools to start the tournament. Then the winner goes to Fargo.

This is mostly just a conversation piece but I enjoy the conversation. Izzo is good at his job.

Yes it is, but if these were the teams it would be better if Nova played Fordham & set up a potential last time Talley vs. Laycock matchup. Of course, Fordham would have to comply.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2016, 08:27 PM
Note sure SDSU is going to go crazy with the bidding process. Last home playoff game attendance: 4367. This could change with the new home field in fact I hope that it does. SDSU has always had attendance drop off late in the year.

This is true. Not trying to knock the fans but they have got to toughen up and be out there shen the team and school need them in the playoffs. There should be a slight and expected drop on Thanksgiving but after that should be cooking at over 15k again or as a fan you are letting that program down as far as playoff swag goes.

SDFS
August 22nd, 2016, 08:41 PM
In what ways would UND match up well? The garbage secondary against one of the most potent passing attacks in the country? Or would it be against our really good defense? I don't see where the good match ups are other than "it's better than UNI or NDSU".

Whats kind of funny with your statements today is that you are saying SDSU is tough and physical. But, you are calling out your passing offense. But, when you look at the numbers last year you have:

Rushing Offense: UND ranked 12th. SDSU not in the top 50 for FCS rushing attacks.

Passing Offense: SDSU ranked 22nd in FCS with 6 Big Sky teams ahead of SDSU. I am not saying UND would stop you guys, but it not like we won't see a passing attack this year.

Eastern Wash.

Montana St.

Northern Ariz.

Montana

Southern Utah

Idaho St.

South Dakota St.

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2016, 09:15 PM
Whats kind of funny with your statements today is that you are saying SDSU is tough and physical. But, you are calling out your passing offense. But, when you look at the numbers last year you have:

Rushing Offense: UND ranked 12th. SDSU not in the top 50 for FCS rushing attacks.

Passing Offense: SDSU ranked 22nd in FCS with 6 Big Sky teams ahead of SDSU. I am not saying UND would stop you guys, but it not like we won't see a passing attack this year.

Eastern Wash.

Montana St.

Northern Ariz.

Montana

Southern Utah

Idaho St.

South Dakota St.

Those teams were also facing atrocious defenses. Like a good chunk of them were ranked in the bottom third of the nation bad. And SDSU is always a run first team, this is just the most potent the passing game has been for a long time. Hard to not use it when you have the second best WR in the country. We didn't have the stud RB emerge like we're used to having. But, our O line was a MASH unit last year, so that doesn't help. Either way, SDSU is called NDSU lite a lot, and we saw how that matchup went last year. I don't think it would be that ugly, but I don't think it's a good matchup for UND. A couple more years of Bubba? Sure, maybe. He still needs a year or two to turn that defense all the way around. But it's definitely not a matchup I would be going "Oh YAY!" about if I was a UND fan. Reminds me of when Nebraska fans were talking trash coming into the B1G and lined up against Wisconsin and feeling confident because they weren't OSU or Michigan. That went well xlolx

UIWWildthing
August 23rd, 2016, 07:06 AM
Ctrl+F - Towson Found

Neat

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 07:49 AM
Kudos to Dom Izzo for taking a stab at the bracket from the preseason.

Here are a couple of my thoughts.
1.Would the committee would pair up Youngstown State and Duquesne again since they will have already played on 1 September.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/schedule

2. No seeded Big Sky team? His thought must be that the Big Sky will beat each other up or they will struggle in the OOC.
3. Montana coming to Fargo for the second round in the second straight year after they "bye" week against San Diego.
4. Another rematch of last years playoff game between Charleston Southern and cross city rival The Citadel.
5. JSU coming to Fargo for a semifinal game.
6. The Whioux at SDSU. I am cheering for the Jacks 100% in that game. Hoping for a blowout.
7. SHSU as the #2 seed? McNeese State was undefeated last year and got the #4 seed under a #2 seed 9-2 Illinois State and #3 seed 9-2 NDSU. Even if SHSU goes undefeated they have 10 D1 wins and 1 D2 win. Does that get them the #2 seed over a 9-2 UNI or a 9-2 JSU? I highly doubt it and I think the NCAA committee has shown that if you take the cupcake route you will get placed above teams that have actually challenged themselves in the OOC.

Dewey

Lehigh'98
August 23rd, 2016, 08:17 AM

We will see you in Frisco!! (Let me have my preseason rose colored dream please)

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
7. SHSU as the #2 seed? McNeese State was undefeated last year and got the #4 seed under a #2 seed 9-2 Illinois State and #3 seed 9-2 NDSU. Even if SHSU goes undefeated they have 10 D1 wins and 1 D2 win. Does that get them the #2 seed over a 9-2 UNI or a 9-2 JSU? I highly doubt it and I think the NCAA committee has shown that if you take the cupcake route you will get placed above teams that have actually challenged themselves in the OOC.

Dewey
An undefeated Sammy over a 9-2 JSU? Yeah probably unless we steamroll everyone. A 10-1 JSU? Nah. Also if Chatty can pull off a 10-1 season I would have them over Sammy as well.

IBleedYellow
August 23rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
We will see you in Frisco!! (Let me have my preseason rose colored dream please)
:)

Fordham
August 23rd, 2016, 08:27 AM
I'd wager that Colgate and Fordham do not finish 1-2 in the PL. The second PL team in the playoffs will either be Lehigh or Holy Cross....xnodx
Add in the Bison as well. There's as much parity heading into the season as I can remember.

Camp reports have been few and far between for us but the one or two that popped up from our scrimmages make it sound like our D hasn't had the overhaul it needs. Hope that's not the case or it could be a long season.

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM

1.Would the committee would pair up Youngstown State and Duquesne again since they will have already played on 1 September.

2. No seeded Big Sky team? His thought must be that the Big Sky will beat each other up or they will struggle in the OOC.

I did the playoff field according to the AGS Preseason Poll. No seeded Big Sky team there either.

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
An undefeated Sammy over a 9-2 JSU? Yeah probably unless we steamroll everyone. A 10-1 JSU? Nah. Also if Chatty can pull off a 10-1 season I would have them over Sammy as well.

I think NDSU and Illinois State's SOS in conference certainly helped them leapfrog McNeese State last year. It would be very interesting if SHSU goes undefeated, JSU is 10-1, Chattanooga goes 10-1 and 2 MVFC teams go 10-1 or 9-2.

I could see SHSU being the 4 or 5 seed in that scenario.

Dewey

The Yo Show
August 23rd, 2016, 04:10 PM

Dewey

To that thought, I think the answer is yes. The NCAA has shown they care more about minimizing travel cost than preventing rematches among regionally close opponents. Duquesne is close to YSU.

Wisent
August 23rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
Last time we played, when we were a finesse team, you guys escaped Grand Forks with a 35-28 win and that was one of your better teams.
http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3051599

IIRC, they "escaped" with a win in a game in which they led 28-0. The truth is SDSU could have named the score, but they called off the dogs too early and UND came back. Stuff happens, but it was clear that UND wasn't in SDSU's league that day.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Izzo's Bracket 3.0

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-version-3-0/ (https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-version-3-0/)

https://i1.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/09/2016-Bracketology-3.0.png?resize=768%2C899&ssl=1

MacThor
September 28th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Hmm. Looks like he's assuming the "de-regionalizer" proposal won't pass.

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Izzo's Bracket 3.0

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-version-3-0/ (https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-version-3-0/)

https://i1.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/09/2016-Bracketology-3.0.png?resize=768%2C899&ssl=1
I love our part of the bracket. UNI then Chatty would be fantastic. I just wish NDSU was the championship. I wouldn't mind an EWU rematch in the Semifinals. :D

Nickels
September 28th, 2016, 11:19 PM

You dont remember 2011? I guess you didn't start following the Bison until after they won their first natty.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Hmm. Looks like he's assuming the "de-regionalizer" proposal won't pass.

The new rule only allows for the committee to create one extra plane trip to balance out a conference with 4+ teams. Regionalization is still alive and kicking.

CappinHard
September 28th, 2016, 11:32 PM
I can understand dropping SDSU out for now after the 1-2 start, the way our defense has started, and with our difficult schedule. But 6 MVFC teams? Indiana State has had a good start, but I see them dropping off, and Illinois State hasn't really impressed me much. I guess if he's basing the selections on the current state of FCS teams, I can see the reasoning. I just don't see it ending up that way.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2016, 11:35 PM
My adjustments to Izzo's bracket:

Remove- SFA and Indiana St
Add - Samford and Southern Utah

Also swap JSU and SHSU in the seeds.

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2016, 11:41 PM
I can understand dropping SDSU out for now after the 1-2 start, the way our defense has started, and with our difficult schedule. But 6 MVFC teams? Indiana State has had a good start, but I see them dropping off, and Illinois State hasn't really impressed me much. I guess if he's basing the selections on the current state of FCS teams, I can see the reasoning. I just don't see it ending up that way.

Yeah, for this week it's a pretty decent bracket but there some things I don't imagine will be the same come playoff time. I'll be surprised if EWU is the #2 seed.

Bisonwinagn
September 28th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Yeah, for this week it's a pretty decent bracket but there some things I don't imagine will be the same come playoff time. I'll be surprised if EWU is the #2 seed.

Not sure anyone in the Big Sky can beat them, maybe Montana, but that's about it.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2016, 11:46 PM

At this point I think NDSU drops a game and JSU wins out, both sitting at 10-1. I'm thinking that's the 1 and 2 seeds. Eastern and Sammy will both get tripped up at least once, IMO.

dudeitsaid
September 28th, 2016, 11:50 PM

You really think NDSU is going to lose enough to boost us to the number 1 seed...:D

For what it's worth, it doesn't matter who we are playing to me, if we are blessed to make it to the playoffs. Most teams in the playoffs can present challenges, and bring a level of play to win any of those games. I just hope we can finally play NDSU in the NC. I think the backstories would create one of the more noticeable and exciting NC's, especially after our game earlier this season. No disrespect to any other teams out there, but that is my dream NC!

BisonTru
September 29th, 2016, 12:20 AM
My guess:

Albany/Sacred Heart vs. 1. North Dakota State
Villanova/Southern Utah vs. 8. Montana

Northern Iowa/Fordham vs. 5. Sam Houston St.
Charleston Southern/The Citadel vs. 4. Chattanooga

Cal Poly/San Diego vs. 3. Eastern Wash
Youngstown St/James Madison vs. 6. Richmond

Eastern Ill/Illinois St vs. 7. Western Illinois
Central Arkansas/Samford vs. 2. Jacksonville St

woffordgrad94
September 29th, 2016, 12:40 AM
My guess:

Are rematches of games that took place in the regular season allowed in the first round? I know Samford played Central Arkansas recently. It really doesn't matter though- once we beat Samford this weekend this playoff matchup possibility probably goes out the window anyway. xcoffeexxnodx

Gangtackle11
September 29th, 2016, 04:42 AM
My guess:

If this were to be the teams you would see Fordham/Villanova & Southern Utah/Northern Iowa pairings.

RootinFerDukes
September 29th, 2016, 06:00 AM
One caa seed at #8, who currently isn't leading in the standings. I know it's early.
Two seeded socon teams? I didn't know the socon SOS was that good.
Either he forgot or is like us and doesn't believe de-regionalizing will actually happen all that much.

FUBeAR
September 29th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Are rematches of games that took place in the regular season allowed in the first round? I know Samford played Central Arkansas recently. It really doesn't matter though- once we beat Samford this weekend this playoff matchup possibility probably goes out the window anyway. xcoffeexxnodx

Absolute insanity that anyone's rankings or bracket projections, at this point in the season, wouldn't include Wofford, whose defense is leading the entire FCS...unless these rankings/brackets also include Ole Miss, Florida State, Louisville, and Alabama....BUT, I disagree with your premise that Woffy beating Sammy this weekend would, in itself, knock Sammy out of, potentially, playing UCA in the playoffs. Even if Chatt, El Cid, and Woffy continue their winning ways, Sammy could still grab that 4th Playoff spot that the 2nd strongest FCS Conference should receive.

dewey
September 29th, 2016, 07:26 AM
You dont remember 2011? I guess you didn't start following the Bison until after they won their first natty.

I have been a Bison for 37 years and yes I do remember 2011 where you guys went undefeated in the regular season and got the #1 overall seed. My point was that your schedule this year is SOFT this year similar to what McNeese State had last year! In 2011 you guys beat Western Illinois, New Mexico (FBS) and UTSA along with going undefeated.

For the record the 2011 National championship for NDSU was the programs 9 Natty not the first.

Dewey

woffordgrad94
September 29th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Absolute insanity that anyone's rankings or bracket projections, at this point in the season, wouldn't include Wofford, whose defense is leading the entire FCS...unless these rankings/brackets also include Ole Miss, Florida State, Louisville, and Alabama....BUT, I disagree with your premise that Woffy beating Sammy this weekend would, in itself, knock Sammy out of, potentially, playing UCA in the playoffs. Even if Chatt, El Cid, and Woffy continue their winning ways, Sammy could still grab that 4th Playoff spot that the 2nd strongest FCS Conference should receive.
I still doubt the SoCon will get four teams in. I'm thinking (and there's a bit of hoping involved here to) that Chatty, The Citadel, and Wofford will be in while Samford will be left on the outside looking in. But that's just my opinion right now, and you know what they say about opinions...

kalm
September 29th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I still doubt the SoCon will get four teams in. I'm thinking (and there's a bit of hoping involved here to) that Chatty, The Citadel, and Wofford will be in while Samford will be left on the outside looking in. But that's just my opinion right now, and you know what they say about opinions...

And we still need to see more from Wofford and how they perform against tougher competition. This week should be a decent test with the winner in the drivers seat for that 3rd SoCon at large. Samford is a bit ahead right now with UTC out of the way and solid win against UCA.

As mentioned earlier, the scenario that interests me is the possibility of having 5-8 teams from power conferences finish 9-2 or better this year. I can see some SoCon, CAA, and SLC teams getting "screwed" out of an expected higher seed based on SoS.

eiu1999
September 29th, 2016, 08:36 AM
No EIU.....I can see that unfortunately.

kalm
September 29th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Really? Why? I can see you guys possibly getting a seed.

eiu1999
September 29th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Really? Why? I can see you guys possibly getting a seed.

I was commenting on his bracket he has JSU and EKU.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM

EIU at ISUb is what I have wanted to see in the 1st round (or later) for the last 2 years. this would be an awesome matchup. I assume ISUb would have to bid the minimum plus $1 to get it at home over EIU.

Bison56
September 29th, 2016, 09:51 AM

I didn't even know they had a football program before 2011.........xdontknowx

Daytripper
September 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM
My guess:

I'm hoping if we go undefeated that we can at least get a top 4 seed. With our schedule, I don't see any chance in hell we get into the top two.... unless the top group of teams has a collective meltdown.

JSUSoutherner
September 29th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I just hope we tear the OVC in half enough for a number two seed. I want home games. If EIU keeps on going like they have been and don't enter full meltdown mode like EKU did last year they could potentially be another notch in our belt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised he has Fordham as the PL winner over Colgate and Lehigh at this point. Next week's game between Lehigh and Colgate will go a long way in determining the league. Lehigh gets both Colgate and Fordham at home....

BisonTru
September 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM

Only conference rematches in the first round aren't allowed. Even if two teams in the same conference schedule a non conference game in the year they aren't paired in the conference slate they can be paired first round.

Gangtackle11
September 29th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I'm surprised he has Fordham as the PL winner over Colgate and Lehigh at this point. Next week's game between Lehigh and Colgate will go a long way in determining the league. Lehigh gets both Colgate and Fordham at home....

I wouldn't throw dirt on the Rams just yet. Didn't hurt Monmouth that they were in Goodman. Just saying.

MacThor
September 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM
The new rule only allows for the committee to create one extra plane trip to balance out a conference with 4+ teams. Regionalization is still alive and kicking.

Ahhh, I see. I thought seeding 1-16 was still on the table.

Twentysix
September 29th, 2016, 04:55 PM

I thought the new rule addition stated something along the lines of: "they can consider creating one extra plane trip"

Meaning that even if all 5 teams from one conference are on the same side of the bracket they aren't technically required to do anything.

BisonTru
September 29th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I thought the new rule addition stated something along the lines of: "they can consider creating one extra plane trip"

Meaning that even if all 5 teams from one conference are on the same side of the bracket they aren't technically required to do anything.

Correct. They aren't forced, but it gives them one anti regionalization card to play if it fits and they choose to use it.

Twentysix
September 29th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Correct. They aren't forced, but it gives them one anti regionalization card to play if it fits and they choose to use it.

Which is bull****.

BisonTru
September 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Which is bull****.

There's really no reason for the committee to not use it if it fits.

Gangtackle11
September 29th, 2016, 05:16 PM
There's really no reason for the committee to not use it if it fits.

They will use it especially to avoid the stuffed bracket conspiracy again.

BEAR
September 29th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Ugh..... UCA to Montana then if a W go to SHSU...crap. xbawlingx

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 29th, 2016, 06:42 PM
One caa seed at #8, who currently isn't leading in the standings. I know it's early.
Two seeded socon teams? I didn't know the socon SOS was that good.
Either he forgot or is like us and doesn't believe de-regionalizing will actually happen all that much.

Izzo does a nice job with this stuff and he's just looking through the present 'window' but i believe both Richmond and JMU will be seeded before things r done.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2016, 12:11 AM

IMO, the edge which could push the Engineers over the top.

Grizalltheway
September 30th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Not sure anyone in the Big Sky can beat them, maybe Montana, but that's about it.

Possibly Cal Poly, maybe PSU...you never know in a sort-of rivalry game.

BigSouthFan
September 30th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I'd like to see the Big South squeeze two in, but due to the way Liberty arranged their schedule, I see them finishing 6-5, with wins over Jacksonville U, Robert Morris, Monmouth, Kennesaw State, Gardner-Webb, and good ol' Presby. Losses to VT, SMU, Jacksonville State, Charleston Southern, and Coastal Carolina. All good teams, but no way a 6-5 Liberty makes the playoffs.

Also, this is a big game for Charleston Southern tomorrow. I say if they beat Coastal @ Coastal, then run the rest of the conference table as expected, then they are seeded somewhere 5-8 depending on how the rest of the playoff teams pan out. Losses to NDSU in OT, and to FSU, and finishing 9-2 is definitely seed worthy. I've seen worse. If they lose to Coastal and run the table in the conference, I say they are either seeded 8th, or barely go unseeded. Even at 8-3 with close losses to NDSU and CCU (depending on the outcome), I still see a small argument for an 8 seed. I guess the only thing that would hurt them with a CCU loss is that leaves no true quality wins.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2016, 11:06 AM
If they lose to Coastal and run the table in the conference, I say they are either seeded 8th, or barely go unseeded. Losses to NDSU in OT, and to FSU, and finishing 9-2 is definitely seed worthy. I've seen worse. Even at 8-3 with losses to NDSU, FSU, and CCU, I still see a small argument for an 8 seed. I guess the only thing that would hurt them with a CCU loss is that leaves no true quality wins.

They won't be seeded with six FCS wins. Or they damn well better not be. They won't have beaten anybody, just lost to the good teams on their schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see the Big South squeeze two in, but due to the way Liberty arranged their schedule, I see them finishing 6-5, with wins over Jacksonville U, Robert Morris, Monmouth, Kennesaw State, Gardner-Webb, and good ol' Presby. Losses to VT, SMU, Jacksonville State, Charleston Southern, and Coastal Carolina. All good teams, but no way a 6-5 Liberty makes the playoffs.

Also, this is a big game for Charleston Southern tomorrow. I say if they beat Coastal @ Coastal, then run the rest of the conference table as expected, then they are seeded somewhere 5-8 depending on how the rest of the playoff teams pan out. Losses to NDSU in OT, and to FSU, and finishing 9-2 is definitely seed worthy. I've seen worse. If they lose to Coastal and run the table in the conference, I say they are either seeded 8th, or barely go unseeded. Even at 8-3 with close losses to NDSU and CCU (depending on the outcome), I still see a small argument for an 8 seed. I guess the only thing that would hurt them with a CCU loss is that leaves no true quality wins.

There is no path for 2 teams from the Big South this year. CCU is out. CSU can only get in with the autobid. Liberty can only get the autobid.

FUBeAR
September 30th, 2016, 12:01 PM
There is no path for 2 teams from the Big South this year. CCU is out. CSU can only get in with the autobid. Liberty can only get the autobid.

So...if Liberty beats CSU (let's say in OT) and Liberty goes on to win the Big South and CSU finished 8-3 with losses to only the Big South Champion (in OT), the Defending FCS National Champion (in OT), and a highly ranked (probably) FBS Team, you have decreed CSU is unworthy of a Playoff bid?

OK...Let's say UNI goes 6-5 (5-3 in the MVFC) with losses to NDSU, Western Ill, and SDSU (who, let's say, finish 1, 2, 3 in the MVFC)....and you have only 1 spot left...and you HAVE to put 1 of those 2 Teams - the 8-3 CSU, 2nd Place in the Big South described above or 6-5 UNI, 4th place (or so) in the MVFC....which Team do you select?

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2016, 12:13 PM
So...if Liberty beats CSU (let's say in OT) and Liberty goes on to win the Big South and CSU finished 8-3 with losses to only the Big South Champion (in OT), the Defending FCS National Champion (in OT), and a highly ranked (probably) FBS Team, you have decreed CSU is unworthy of a Playoff bid?

OK...Let's say UNI goes 6-5 (5-3 in the MVFC) with losses to NDSU, Western Ill, and SDSU (who, let's say, finish 1, 2, 3 in the MVFC)....and you have only 1 spot left...and you HAVE to put 1 of those 2 Teams - the 8-3 CSU, 2nd Place in the Big South described above or 6-5 UNI, 4th place (or so) in the MVFC....which Team do you select?

So CSU's only good win is CCU(which might be assuming a lot)? I don't think they will be in.

UNI would have an FBS win, and wins over ranked teams ISUb and YSU.

That's a tough one.

BisonTru
September 30th, 2016, 12:14 PM

I think both get in, but UNI would get in first, IMO.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2016, 12:18 PM

UNI. CSU would have zero good wins in that situation vs a FBS win and almost every win for UNI would be a stronger than than any win CSU would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
September 30th, 2016, 12:23 PM

UNI wins
Iowa State (FBS)
Southern Illinois (FCS)
South Dakota (FCS)
Youngstown State (FCS)
Missouri State (FCS)
Indiana State (FCS)

CSU wins
Kentucky St (D2)
Monmouth (FCS)
Coastal Carolina (FCSish)
Albancy St (D2)
Presbyterian (FCS)
Bucknell (FCS)
Gardner Webb (FCS)
Kennesaw St (FCS)

No way the wins from CSU looks better than UNIs. Granted, neither will get in with those lackluster wins as the SoCon would get more in, but if I had to choose, I'd take UNI's 6 D1 wins over CSU's 6 D1 wins

Professor Chaos
September 30th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Idk... the playoff committee last year sure had a hard-on for "quality losses". I'd say for a 6-5 UNI to get in over an 8-3 CSU they'd need all the teams they lost to (Montana and EWU included) to be playoff teams.

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Idk... the playoff committee last year sure had a hard-on for "quality losses". I'd say for a 6-5 UNI to get in over an 8-3 CSU they'd need all the teams they lost to (Montana and EWU included) to be playoff teams.

Agreed. Since when do "better wins" matter?

ST_Lawson
September 30th, 2016, 12:47 PM
I was commenting on his bracket he has JSU and EKU.

Who's...Izzo's? He's got EIU in his, going against Indiana State with the winner heading to Macomb to play us.

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Since when do "better wins" matter?

But UNI would have both. xlolx

Schism55
September 30th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Who's...Izzo's? He's got EIU in his, going against Indiana State with the winner heading to Macomb to play us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWEfqW8PgJo
xthumbsupx