PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS Rivalry?

mistersykes
December 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
There are some great ones. Furman/App is one of the best over the last few years. Lehigh/Lafayette and Grambling/Southern are classics. What are some of the best FCS Rivalries?

Oh, and try to keep it classy! I don't want this to end up on the smack board!:nono: :thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Soon it will be NDSU and und.

JALMOND
December 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Montana/Montana State. Always has been. Always will be.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
There's only 1 edition of "The Rivalry"

Lehigh/Lafayette

142 meetings

http://www.i-aa.org/images/articles/63838_LehighLafayette250w.jpg

December 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
2004 preview mag Top Ten, page 12-13:
"The Game" Harvard vs. Yale
"The Rivalry" Lafayette vs. Lehigh
"The Bayou Classic" Grambling vs. Southern
"The Brawl of the Wild" Montana vs. Montana State
"The Florida Classic" Bethune-Cookman vs. Florida A&M
"The Military Classic of the South" The Citadel vs. Virginia Military Institute
"The Battle for Chief Caddo" Northwestern State vs. Stephen F. Austin
"The Oldest Rivalry in the South" Richmond vs. William & Mary
"The Battle for the Old Mountain Jug" Appalachian State vs. Western Carolina
"The Battle of the Bluegrass" Eastern Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky

YaleFootballFan
December 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yale vs. Harvard (or if you're from Cambridge, its Harvard vs. Yale). Either way, its still THE GAME.

First meeting was in 1875 and its still going strong.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Yale-Harvard-Game.jpg/800px-Yale-Harvard-Game.jpg

Pards Rule
December 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Yes and I have now attended 27 games of The Rivalry! When we we start playing that for the Old Leather Helmet? How about at 150 games! Start a new tradition for #150!

mistersykes
December 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I don't consider The Battle for the Old Mountain Jug much of a rivalry...:D

December 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I don't consider The Battle for the Old Mountain Jug much of a rivalry...I'm not sure the ASU team of 2004 would agree with you. xlolx

70 meetings since 1932... since 1985 the rivalry has been a bit one-sided...

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
YSU-UNI has to be up there. If the teams were closer in distance it would be even more heated.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD will be good once they get going again.

NDSU/SDSU is not bad either and UND/USD has been pretty heated the last couple seasons.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Which of theses games have the most combined titles since the playoff format started? That helps make a rivalry to me, two teams that are great year in and year out. OSU and Michigian are legitimate top 20 teams every year. Do we have one of those rivalries in the FCS? Montana Montana State could be as MSU gets more consistent, but we aren't quiet there yet but the rivalry is better now that the streak is over. Does anyone have thoughts as to the best rivalry (or closest to) among "power houses?"

December 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Which of theses games have the most combined titles since the playoff format started? That helps make a rivalry to me...I don't think how good the teams are affects a rivalry. Playing a lot of times over many years is more important as well as the animosity and location. Otherwise you could have a couple teams who don't play that often but are always ranked high be called a rivalry.

December 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Which of theses games have the most combined titles since the playoff format started?...Maybe "The Game" with Harvard's seven national titles?

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I don't think how good the teams are affects a rivalry. Playing a lot of times over many years is more important as well as the animosity and location. Otherwise you could have a couple teams who don't play that often but are always ranked high be called a rivalry.

No, thats not what I was getting at. They have to play every year. I was just wondering what people thought the best rivalry between teams that are legitimate regular title contenders is? Teams that don't play often really aren't rivals in my opinion.

I suppose THE GAME maybe, but I was thinking more along the lines of FCS title contenders. I am not saying these are the only criteria for a rivalry, I'm just looking for an interesting discussion from a different angle.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I know GSU is a newbie when it comes to "Long Term Football Tradition", but I think the GSU has always had a good rivalry with Furman. Before we joined the SoCon we ran into them in the playoffs, National Championship games etc. Each year (except for maybe last) both teams field a really good team, and its always an exciting game.

December 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
... I'm just looking for an interesting discussion from a different angle.hahahahaaa :) You mean hijack the thread to what you want to talk about? :p xlolx

December 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I know GSU is a newbie when it comes to "Long Term Football Tradition"...:nod: At least compared to the others.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM
hahahahaaa :) You mean hijack the thread to what you want to talk about? :p xlolx

Well, no. The thread title is Best FCS rivalry, I'm just looking at a different perspective in FCS rivalries. This seems to be the perfect thread for this discussion, but maybe I am wrong.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I know GSU is a newbie when it comes to "Long Term Football Tradition", but I think the GSU has always had a good rivalry with Furman. Before we joined the SoCon we ran into them in the playoffs, National Championship games etc. Each year (except for maybe last) both teams field a really good team, and its always an exciting game.

That is a good one, that is kind of what I was looking for.

aggie6thman
December 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Yale vs. Harvard (or if you're from Cambridge, its Harvard vs. Yale). Either way, its still THE GAME.

I can't believe that Harvard painted an "H" at midfield? Does anyone ever get in trouble for that?

As for FCS rivalries, The Battle for the Golden Horseshoe has become a great game. It is a relatively new trophy to play for, but the games are great. Both sides have a lot of friends that go to the other school, not to mention it plays a large role in who wins the GWFC.

December 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM
... Teams that don't play often really aren't rivals in my opinion...I agree. Furman for example has played many teams more often than Georgia Southern and have a greater rivalry with those teams.

December 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM
How about the "Causeway Classic"?

Seven Would Be Nice
December 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I agree. Furman for example has played many teams more often than Georgia Southern and have a greater rivalry with those teams.

Also, I see rivalry games that have been so lopsided for more than a decade not much of a rivalry either. Like ASU/WCU, yes it's a rivalry game, but I would think app fans get much more pumped up for Furman and GSU at this point.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I agree. Furman for example has played many teams more often than Georgia Southern and have a greater rivalry with those teams.

I apologize for having an independent thought Ralph. I will stay on subject. Complete Homer Alert, The Brawl of the Wild is the best rivalry in FCS.

December 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I apologize for having an independent thought Ralph. I will stay on subject. Complete Homer Alert, The Brawl of the Wild is the best rivalry in FCS.Don't apologize to me, I am just conversing with you. BOTW is an awesome rivalry.

December 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Also, I see rivalry games that have been so lopsided for more than a decade not much of a rivalry either. Like ASU/WCU, yes it's a rivalry game, but I would think app fans get much more pumped up for Furman and GSU at this point.WCU won two years ago though. Also, when thinking about how teams have competed in the short past, rivalries are build out of decades and decades of playing. Hey, these are only my opinions, don't anyone get bent out of shape because I express them. Your opinion is as valid. xcoffeex

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD will be good once they get going again.

NDSU/SDSU is not bad either and UND/USD has been pretty heated the last couple seasons.

It probably will be the most heated rivalry where nobody would cheer for the other team in any situation when NDSU and und are both DI. It will get nasty when the time comes.

December 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
...It will get nasty when the time comes.oh boy, can't wait. :(

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
and neither can I. :smiley_wi

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Well, no. The thread title is Best FCS rivalry, I'm just looking at a different perspective in FCS rivalries. This seems to be the perfect thread for this discussion, but maybe I am wrong.

There are a lot of ways to look at it:

-most heated rivalry
-rivalry that matters the most towards a playoff berth
-rivalry game with the largest attendance
-rivalry with the most difficult ticket.
etc

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
oh boy, can't wait. :(

exactly. the smack board alone will crash the server.

NDSUFREAK
December 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM
exactly. the smack board alone will crash the server.

So do you know a little bit the the Nickel Trophy game and the rivalry at hand?

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:39 PM
So do you know a little bit the the Nickel Trophy game and the rivalry at hand?

I've dealt with enough UND idiots to know. Met a lot of nice fans in players when they handed it to us in the Dome though. Talked to their fans for about an hour before the game, and then talked to the players and parents and such post game.

aggie6thman
December 27th, 2006, 05:45 PM
How about the "Causeway Classic"?

Well the title of the thread is "Best FCS Rivalry." :rotateh: Our games with slac have not been that exciting for the last 7 years. To me, the game against Cal Poly means more, it has the chance for a conference title on the line. If slac were to somehow join the GFWC, then it would become that much more important.

To use PantherRob's guidelines:

-most heated rivalry
etc

You can check off all four of the points for the Golden Horseshoe, but as for the Causeway, it is a different story. The game is always sold out at Toomey (mostly because it only seats 7,500), but the largest crowd to see a game at Spanos was against us. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. Hopefully slac can hire a new coach to make the Causeway more of a rivalry and less of an auto "W."

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'd love to have a regional rivalry. Thing is the closest teams we play are:

-Western Illinois
-Illinois State
-Drake

Western Illinois has been somewhat of a rival at times. Some people consider it a rival, I don't see it much different than any other conference game.

Illinois State has never been much of a rival to my knowledge.

Drake isn't competitive as long as they are FCS-NS, this will not be a rivalry.

Distant teams:
-Missorui State
-Southern Illinois
-Youngstown State
-SDSU

Missouri State is a rival. They haven't held up their end of it for a while, but that could be changing.

Southern Illinois has become a rivalry the last few years. Would be better if we weren't 8 hours apart.

Youngstown State has become pretty heated as of late. A little one sided, but as they remind us, they have the NC flags. Would be a much better rivalry if they were closer than 10-12 hours.

South Dakota State hasn't played us much since they just moved up. 2007 will be the 2nd year in a row. If they join the Gateway or make it an annual game I could see a rivalry developing.

carney2
December 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Et tu, Ralphie? Et tu?

GOKATS
December 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I don't think how good the teams are affects a rivalry. Playing a lot of times over many years is more important as well as the animosity and location. Otherwise you could have a couple teams who don't play that often but are always ranked high be called a rivalry.

Using that criteria it's hard to beat Cat/Griz......100 years and going strong, we're 200 miles apart in a huge state and we despise each other:nod: , and though lately it's 'the battle of the brawl', historically it is simply Cat/Griz but it's also been known as the 'Divide War' as the Rocky Mountains (Continental Divide) is in between.

GoAgs72
December 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I still think the rivalry between UC Davis and Sac State (Causeway Classic) is bigger than the Horseshoe with Cal Poly. The rivalry with Cal Poly was always more heated on the San Luis Obispo end than at Davis but I think that is changing. Actually every team we play on a regular basis seems to want to make us one of their one or two top games of the season. For example, St. Mary's when we were playing them.

patssle
December 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM

I'm going to have to disagree there. Nothing in the Southland conference compares to the "Battle of the Piney Woods" of SHSU/SFA. It has drama. Its the highest rated game on FSN Southwest. Its guranteed to be on TV when played at Sam. It breeds serious hate between the two schools.

aggie6thman
December 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I still think the rivalry between UC Davis and Sac State (Causeway Classic) is bigger than the Horseshoe with Cal Poly. The rivalry with Cal Poly was always more heated on the San Luis Obispo end than at Davis but I think that is changing. Actually every team we play on a regular basis seems to want to make us one of their one or two top games of the season. For example, St. Mary's when we were playing them.

It is changing because we play Cal Poly for a conference title, and hopefully in the next couple of years, a playoff spot. It would be like if cal and stanfurd were in different conferences. cal's game vs. USC would mean more because they are playing for a title.

Old Cat Fan
December 27th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Have to throw in UNH - UMASS been going at it since 1897 :nod:

Mountaineer#96
December 28th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure the ASU team of 2004 would agree with you. xlolx

Uh yeah member of 2004 here.............:nonono2: :nonono2: :o

December 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Uh yeah member of 2004 here...No disrespect intended... just some folks think that an ASU victory is assured. Folks at WCU don't think the same way and it is a rivalry.

Peems
December 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM
even though i always want the griz to win, i think a rivalry isnt a rivalry if one team always wins like when we had the streak. plus when the griz and cats play the entire state shuts down. there are no other teams in the state everyone has a side.

December 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM
...i think a rivalry isnt a rivalry if one team always wins...folks who are on the current winning side always think that... but true rivalries run for so long that one team never "always wins". Win or lose does not diminish true rivalries because there's always next year. :nod:

mistersykes
December 28th, 2006, 04:25 AM

-most heated rivalry
etc

Originally, I was going for the most exciting current rivalry, but what we got going works!

JoltinJoe
December 28th, 2006, 05:44 AM

-most heated rivalry
etc

You're right. Depends on what you mean by "the best." Best, how? You mean toughest? Or easiest to bribe? xlolx

th0m
December 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Although JMU's team is relatively young, when I think of 'rivalry', I think Delaware, W&M and Richmond. I'm sure Delaware's biggest rival is nova (and this year must only have added fuel to the fire), and Richmond and W&M have their thing going (although I've no idea how heated that really is). But Delaware is always a big game for JMU, Richmond is just kind of natural and also has a lot to do with the basketball days when Richmond was in the CAA plus we recruit a lot of the same players, and I think the W&M game kind of blossomed after the '04 year with two very exciting games (and their first game under the lights was vs. JMU, I think all our games at Zable since have been night games). The W&M series has been played the most, and is the most evenly balanced (15-14 in favor of JMU), then Richmond (13-11 in favor of UR), then Delaware (10-6 in favor of UD).

andy7171
December 28th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Being a newbie to I-AA/FCS, 1988, Towson only has only had less than 20 years to build rivals. When I was there as an independant team, our rivals were Howard, Del State and JMU, with Delaware coming in later. Now that we are in the A10/CAA, I would have to say Delaware is our main rival, and in all sports.
Having won the last 2 and an even 3-3 record against a traditionally strong program combined with being less than an hour away, I think we can antagonize UD into feeling the same way. A budding heated rival you could call it.

Of course we also play Morgan State, which is 4 miles away, but that game is so one sided in Towsons favor, 14-5, it doesn't really feel like a rivalry.

AZGrizFan
December 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I used to REALLY like the Griz/Cal Poly rivalry.....until the playoffs last year..... :eek: :eek: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :p

RockJMUStar
December 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
JMU vs. W&M is ALWAYS a good game. I have yet to see a bad one. In 2004, when Madison won the title a better rivalry couldn't have been scripted. W&M wins on a last second FG in Harrisonburg to beat the Dukes and stun the crowd. Then JMU tears through the playoffs on the road to meet the Tribe on their turf for the first time under the lights. That game was classic. Very emotional game for me, being from Williamsburg area and attending JMU. Go Dukes!

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
even though i always want the griz to win, i think a rivalry isnt a rivalry if one team always wins like when we had the streak. plus when the griz and cats play the entire state shuts down. there are no other teams in the state everyone has a side.

We've won 6 straight against YSU and still hate them plenty. :nod:

JALMOND
December 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Which of theses games have the most combined titles since the playoff format started? That helps make a rivalry to me, two teams that are great year in and year out. OSU and Michigian are legitimate top 20 teams every year. Do we have one of those rivalries in the FCS? Montana Montana State could be as MSU gets more consistent, but we aren't quiet there yet but the rivalry is better now that the streak is over. Does anyone have thoughts as to the best rivalry (or closest to) among "power houses?"

To answer your question here and to stay on track of the thread, take a look at the history of the Cat/Griz game, going back to the early 1900's. The game is similar to a pendulum swinging back and forth. The Cats were the dominate team, then the Griz became the dominate team. Now the power might be swinging back. The Cats may not have been the most consistent team recently, yet the Griz were not the most consistent back in the late 70's/early 80's, when it was the Cats that were a national title contender. Whatever it has been called ("The Game", "The Butte Game", "The Divide Game", "Cat/Griz", "Bozo/Mizzo Game", and now "The Brawl of the Wild"), to me it is the determining factor as to what a rivalry game is, far above any other DI (BS or CS) game.

We at Portland State look forward to our game with Montana. We like to consider it a "rivalry" game but it pales drastically when compared to any other true rivalry game. In recent years, the Montana State game has become sort of a rivalry game, but not as big as the Montana game.

ngineer
December 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yes and I have now attended 27 games of The Rivalry! When we we start playing that for the Old Leather Helmet? How about at 150 games! Start a new tradition for #150!

Sounds good to me, though why not sooner? I have 36 games under my belt, now. Unless a catastrophe of some type occurs in the next 14 years, my 50th Game will be 2020--"I can see clearly,now...":thumbsup:

ngineer
December 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
One of the best measures of a rivalry is how many people show up when both teams are lousy and nothing but pride is at stake? Lehigh and Lafayette have sold out their respective stadiums for this battle regardless of record. In 1966 or so, I think both teams came in at 1-8 and battled to a 6-6 tie before a packed house. 'nuf said....:nod:

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2006, 10:45 PM
NDSU/und will be the most heated FCS rivalry when und starts FCS play without a doubt, bar none. I don't think any of you know what the Bison/Sioux rivalry is like. You wanna talk about vitriol, I mean, GODDAMN... These two schools (athletically, academically AND politically) HATE each other with such a heated passion... This rivalry will make Lehigh/Lafayette and Cats/Griz look like a sorority pillow fight. This is a rivalry that's probably up there with Chelsea/Arsenal. I've heard of Bison and Sioux fans getting in drunken fights in bars in Fargo and GF before and after the games in the past. This thing is NOT pretty.

75 percent of the posts on the Smack Board will be NDSU/und. You can count on it. You're gonna have to brace yourselves, people. And as Tony (AmsterBison) said, "pick a side". Both school's fans will be acting like idiots (although you'll see that und fans act more arrogant, IMO:D), and you're gonna have to decide which school's fans act like they have an IQ the closest to 15 without going over.

This rivalry permeates STATE LEGISLATIVE POLITICS, fer crying out loud. und politicians will try to pass bills that cut funding to NDSU, etc. etc. It sometimes makes me with that North Dakota was like Nebraska or Wyoming, and only had one major public university in the state that the whole population could get behind, instead of having the population bitterly split. The University of North Dakota Bison. Located in Bismarck. That sometimes sounds nice to me.

I know it'll never happen, though. We're already such a small state with not much to do, and so this kind of thing brings out the "small-town vendetta" mentality amongst the sides.

Prepare for it.

NDSUFREAK
December 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM
NDSU/und will be the most heated FCS rivalry when und starts FCS play without a doubt, bar none. I don't think any of you know what the Bison/Sioux rivalry is like. You wanna talk about vitriol, I mean, GODDAMN... These two schools (athletically, academically AND politically) HATE each other with such a heated passion... This rivalry will make Lehigh/Lafayette and Cats/Griz look like a sorority pillow fight. This is a rivalry that's probably up there with Chelsea/Arsenal. I've heard of Bison and Sioux fans getting in drunken fights in bars in Fargo and GF before and after the games in the past. This thing is NOT pretty.

75 percent of the posts on the Smack Board will be NDSU/und. You can count on it. You're gonna have to brace yourselves, people. And as Tony (AmsterBison) said, "pick a side". Both school's fans will be acting like idiots (although you'll see that und fans act more arrogant, IMO:D), and you're gonna have to decide which school's fans act like they have an IQ the closest to 15 without going over.

This rivalry permeates STATE LEGISLATIVE POLITICS, fer crying out loud. und politicians will try to pass bills that cut funding to NDSU, etc. etc. It sometimes makes me with that North Dakota was like Nebraska or Wyoming, and only had one major public university in the state that the whole population could get behind, instead of having the population bitterly split. The University of North Dakota Bison. Located in Bismarck. That sometimes sounds nice to me.

I know it'll never happen, though. We're already such a small state with not much to do, and so this kind of thing brings out the "small-town vendetta" mentality amongst the sides.

Prepare for it.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Any und topic that pops up on the BISON boards are directly relocated to the Smack boards.
I agree....get ready for nastyness. I will be making an SSS club when the time comes a callin. (sioux suck ****) club.

cpstang
December 28th, 2006, 11:14 PM
The problem with Cal Poly is that our true rival is UC Santa Barbara, but since UCSB dropped football Davis has filled the spot. Even so, there are at least 10 times more students who wait in line for the Davis game than any other sport against UCSB. We are beginning to take it very seriously: http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2006/roadralph/gohomedavis.mp3

aggie6thman
December 29th, 2006, 12:38 AM
The problem with Cal Poly is that our true rival is UC Santa Barbara, but since UCSB dropped football Davis has filled the spot. Even so, there are at least 10 times more students who wait in line for the Davis game than any other sport against UCSB. We are beginning to take it very seriously: http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2006/roadralph/gohomedavis.mp3

Cute, I especially like the link. But here is a little something for you. This quote was taken from our play-by-play radio guys from our game against you last year on October 29, 2005.

Archived audio from 1140 AM of the UC Davis-Cal Poly football game...

I kinda have my eyes on a sign by the UC Davis student section. Basically tells the Cal Poly students who have made the trek up here, You. Will. Work. For. Us. Wow. Oh no question. That is strong. The Aggie Pack is out in full force today. Whoever is responsible for coordinating that did a masterful job.

Your's truly made the sign and it was held up in the student section!
Here is a link to the photohttp://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=ucddhs&gallery_id=286381&image_id=114, which now is framed on my wall in my room!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mistersykes
December 29th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Prepare for it.
What are some major differences in the two schools? Different academic focus? Success level? Types of people who attend? These questions could be helpful for outsiders to try to find out why you guys are such bitter rivals.

FargoBison
December 29th, 2006, 02:56 AM
What are some major differences in the two schools? Different academic focus? Success level? Types of people who attend? These questions could be helpful for outsiders to try to find out why you guys are such bitter rivals.

Here is a good report on the history of the NDSU-UND rivalry...

http://www.bisonville.com/bisonugf.html

TheBisonator
December 29th, 2006, 03:18 AM

The two things I just bolded are the reasons.

Both are the state's flagship doctorate universities:

NDSU is the more research-based, "career-oriented" university focusing on nano and bioresearch, engineering, architecture, pharmacy, agriculture, computer sciences, etc.

und is the more liberal arts-based "classical" university focusing on law, medicine, aviation, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, etc.

The people who hail from the two schools tend to be different types of people, and come from different types of families, even when comparing families from the same small town.

Just my opinion, but from my experiences, I think NDSU alums and students tend to be more down-to-earth, humble, populist, regular-joe kind of people, while und alums and students tend to be the more upper-class, elitist, arrogant, "dinner party" kind of people.

Again, JMO.

And remember: If you want to own a computer, go to und. If you want to own a billion-dollar computer software company, go to NDSU.:D

aggie6thman
December 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM

That was the most objective report on the rivalry between the two schools. It reeks of a Bison slant, but it was a good read. I guess that it comes with the territory when you are dealing with two bitter rivals!xlolx :nod:

carney2
December 29th, 2006, 08:22 AM
One of the best measures of a rivalry is how many people show up when both teams are lousy and nothing but pride is at stake? Lehigh and Lafayette have sold out their respective stadiums for this battle regardless of record. In 1966 or so, I think both teams came in at 1-8 and battled to a 6-6 tie before a packed house. 'nuf said....:nod:

You have the right idea, but in the interest of accuracy, you are, I believe, referring to 1964 which was the 100th game. I have often heard it said that Homecoming is a non-starter at both schools because "everyone" shows up on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, but you had better call around to find out who is going to be at Homecoming.

spelunker64
December 29th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Best Part:

You can usually spot a Sioux fan from a long distance because no self-respecting Bison fan is going to walk around in a mint green sweatshirt with a white turtleneck underneath it. Goat cheese and Volvos are also telltale signs of their presence. Do not approach them, although slow of wit and nearsighted, their sense of superiority is very acute and they could easily bore you to death. The average Sioux fan is pretty good-natured about the rivalry and when confronted with a Bison fan, is likely to lean back, give a chuckle, and say something like "If you want to work on a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND." Since it's impossible to argue with something like that, a Bison fan might respond with something like, "Hey, that's a nice sweatshirt-turtleneck combo you've got there, Skipp or Tadd or Chipp or whatever you said your name was; do they have a men's department where you bought it?" Of course this works better if the Sioux fan is a male who hasn't seen "Footloose", but you get the idea.

MplsBison
December 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I think the main problem that UND has with NDSU is that NDSU is growing so fast and overtaking UND. They hate this more than anything.

UND was supposed to be like the U of Wyoming or U of Nebraska. The state legislature calls for a medical, law, and mines (engineering) university in Grand Forks and an agricultural college in Fargo.

But Fargo has long been growing faster than GF and with that NDSU has been growing faster than UND and has expanded its programs. NDSU does have some unique programs (nursing, pharmacy, and obviously agriculture) but a lot of the programs NDSU is good at are duplicate programs of UND (business, engineering, etc.).

If they had put the agriculture college up at UND, there never would've been a NDSU and likely the U of ND would be the same as U of WY. But the state of North Dakota likes to give every city with a population of more than 50 (including cattle) a university.

andy7171
December 29th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Best Part:

You can usually spot a Sioux fan from a long distance because no self-respecting Bison fan is going to walk around in a mint green sweatshirt with a white turtleneck underneath it. Goat cheese and Volvos are also telltale signs of their presence. Do not approach them, although slow of wit and nearsighted, their sense of superiority is very acute and they could easily bore you to death. The average Sioux fan is pretty good-natured about the rivalry and when confronted with a Bison fan, is likely to lean back, give a chuckle, and say something like "If you want to work on a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND." Since it's impossible to argue with something like that, a Bison fan might respond with something like, "Hey, that's a nice sweatshirt-turtleneck combo you've got there, Skipp or Tadd or Chipp or whatever you said your name was; do they have a men's department where you bought it?" Of course this works better if the Sioux fan is a male who hasn't seen "Footloose", but you get the idea.
Hold up! There are preppy yuppies all the way up in North Dakota? What the he11? xcoffeex

OL FU
December 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM
The rivalries between the big three in the SoCon are rivalries based on competetion for conference championships each year. No doubt Furman/GSU is big because the first two games were played for national championships.Furman/ASU is big because the games are typically close games (what happened this year). But I don't know if you could say they are rivalries in the purest sense like a Harvard-Yale or Lehigh- Lafayatte or Montana- Montana St. This doesn't diminish the intensity, but it is not the same thing.

Furman's oldest rivalry is the Citadel. It has diminished some since Furman has dominated in recent history, but let the Dogs get good again and this one will really heat up.

My opinion is that Furman's rival of the future will be Wofford. It is a natural. I don't think it will ever be one that stirs up hatred because the schools have had a long good natured history between them.

PantherRob82
December 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM
"In 1963, Darrell Mudra became coach. Up until that time, the Bison were a horrific 20-45-3 (.316) against their arch foe but starting with Mudra, the Bison learned to win and have gone 25-17-0 (.595) since then. Over the last ten years, the two teams have matched up very well and produced some excellent games."

Mudra is the man. :bow:

mistersykes
December 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM

NDSU is the more research-based, "career-oriented" university focusing on nano and bioresearch, engineering, architecture, pharmacy, agriculture, computer sciences, etc.

und is the more liberal arts-based "classical" university focusing on law, medicine, aviation, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, etc.

The people who hail from the two schools tend to be different types of people, and come from different types of families, even when comparing families from the same small town.

Just my opinion, but from my experiences, I think NDSU alums and students tend to be more down-to-earth, humble, populist, regular-joe kind of people, while und alums and students tend to be the more upper-class, elitist, arrogant, "dinner party" kind of people.

Again, JMO.

And remember: If you want to own a computer, go to und. If you want to own a billion-dollar computer software company, go to NDSU.:D

In that case, I gotta side with NDSU! Gotta support the Agriculture (although hopefully they teach that family farms are better than agri-business) rather than the Law and Philosophy (some really snooty people in those majors, from my experiences, no smack intended). My major deals heavily with agriculture.

spelunker64
December 29th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I'm a 2001 Agricultural Economics grad of NDSU. Corperate farming is illegal in ND, family farms are supported even though we lose more and more farmers every year.

I'd say und is known for thier aviation and medica centers mostly, where NDSU is engineering, pharmacy, and ag.

Purple Knight
December 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Rivalries, usually depend on the degree of emotion felt by the fans and players against a particular opponent. These frequently are bitter rivalries. I think rivalries are at their best when they mature to evoke a feeling of respect and apprehension regarding the opponent. IMO, Furman vs ASU and GSU are great rivalries (students still consider them as bitter rivalries). But I did use the word 'mature'.

mistersykes
December 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I'm a 2001 Agricultural Economics grad of NDSU. Cooperate farming is illegal in ND, family farms are supported even though we lose more and more farmers every year.

I'd say und is known for thier aviation and medica centers mostly, where NDSU is engineering, pharmacy, and ag.

Why is co-op illegal? What are the main crops in ND?

NDSUFREAK
December 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM
"In 1963, Darrell Mudra became coach. Up until that time, the Bison were a horrific 20-45-3 (.316) against their arch foe but starting with Mudra, the Bison learned to win and have gone 25-17-0 (.595) since then. Over the last ten years, the two teams have matched up very well and produced some excellent games."

Mudra is the man. :bow:

2000 was the one to remember. Even though I was the only on we won in the 2000 era:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: it just was going all the right way at the time. I am excited for und to go DI because then we can shove it in there asses that we are now better than you!
(But that is the most riled up I will be until the 2008 season..)
SSS

spelunker64
December 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Co-op's are legal, I meant to say Corporate (bad spelling).

ND Crops: Wheat, Corn, Soybean, Hay, Canola, Sunflower, Dry Pea, Dry Beans, Cattle, Mustard, Flax, Lentils, Chickpea

MplsBison
December 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I think he meant corporate.

Franks Tanks
December 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Again, JMO.

When I think about " upper-class, elitist, arrogant, "dinner party" kind of people" I automatically think of North Dakota. I mean the Ivy's and G-town and Holy Cross and Lafayette have their share of elitists, but really nothing when compared to the state university of a state with approximately 300 people who are predominatly pig farmers.

spelunker64
December 29th, 2006, 01:01 PM
When I think about " upper-class, elitist, arrogant, "dinner party" kind of people" I automatically think of North Dakota. I mean the Ivy's and G-town and Holy Cross and Lafayette have their share of elitists, but really nothing when compared to the state university of a state with approximately 300 people who are predominatly pig farmers.

It's 650,000 and cattle not pigs. Yeah, so there:nod:

:smiley_wi

PantherRob82
December 29th, 2006, 01:10 PM
It's 650,000 and cattle not pigs. Yeah, so there:nod:

:smiley_wi

typical coastal thinking.

andy7171
December 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

GRZZ
December 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

mistersykes
December 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Co-op's are legal, I meant to say Corporate (bad spelling).

ND Crops: Wheat, Corn, Soybean, Hay, Canola, Sunflower, Dry Pea, Dry Beans, Cattle, Mustard, Flax, Lentils, Chickpea

Oh! In that case, awesome! I wish they were illegal in NC. The corporate pig farms are all over the place (especially toward the coast). I'm seriously contemplating a career in agriculture on some level. I'll get a taste after my Principles of Agroecology class. Some good crops you got growin' over there! :D

Franks Tanks
December 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
typical coastal thinking.

Just a little joke, dont worry I love you fine Midwesterns

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Just a little joke, dont worry I love you fine Midwesterns
;)

I know. I'm playing around too. :D

BrevardMountaineer03
December 30th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I would have to say for me it's the Battle for the Old Mountain Jug.

But I can't get away from Furman and Appalachian State as a great rivalry as well.
(Especially since the "Miracle on the Mountain")

ngineer
December 30th, 2006, 10:50 AM
You have the right idea, but in the interest of accuracy, you are, I believe, referring to 1964 which was the 100th game. I have often heard it said that Homecoming is a non-starter at both schools because "everyone" shows up on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, but you had better call around to find out who is going to be at Homecoming.

Yes, I was close. In 1964--the 100th meeting of the two schools, Lehigh entered with a 1-7 record and Lafayette at 0-7-1. To quote from 'the Bible' of the series authored by Davidson and Donchez, "With only one victory between them, the Fisher Field stands were absent of bowl scouts. Instead, over 19,000 devoted fans packed the bleachers to watch the 100th game of the nation's most-played football rivalry."
The game feature a couple goal line stands by both teams, including one where the Leopards had the ball at the one-foot line, but were stopped. Lehigh couldn't move the ball and had to punt from the back of the endzone, but luckily benefited from a 64 yard punt to keep Lafayette out of scoring position. Later in the fourth quarter, Lehigh drove inside the 10 only to fumble the ball away. Final score 6-6. The ball used at the intial kickoff was sent the the College Football Hall of Fame.
Interesting quote from the New York Times, "When it's Lehigh vs. Lafayette, it matters not how you play the game, but how many times you play it."--Steven Cady, 11/22/64.
It should be noted, that the 1963 game is the only game where a capacity crowd is not recorded due to the Game's postponement due to the assassination of President Kennedy. Game was pushed back to the Thanksgiving weekend and only 7,000 appeared.
What other rivalry has a hard-bound book written just about IT? Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette first published in 1995 and updated in 2005 is an excellent read. From the Preface:
"...we realized that for most, Lehigh-Lafayette is more than a football game. The spirit of competition that exists in every athletic contest is taken a step further to create not only a football game, not only a rivalry, but a way of life.":nod:

Maroons
December 31st, 2006, 11:34 AM

I'm not sure how long this game will be played since Western is leaving the subdivision. However, it is a game that has been played over 80 times, features 3 national titles, a dispute over the accurate record and all kinds of history.

SU Jag
January 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Southern vs Grambling
Southern vs Jackson State
FAMU vs Tennessee State
FAMU vs Bethune-Cookman
Alabama A&M vs Bama State
Jackson State vs Tennessee State
Hampton vs Norfolk State

just a few

MR. CHICKEN
January 3rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
DELAWARE vs MONTANA...........DIS IS DUH BIGGEST RIVALRY IN ALL O' SPORTS........AS DUH GRIZZWOLDS......WOULD MORTGAGE WASH/GRIZ...STADIUM......FO' UH CHANCE TA AVENGE...DUH 49-48!......HEY NEXT TIME........LET'S DO IT....IN NEWARK... (WE HAVE UH ELKS CLUB)......BRING YER OWN DROOL....MONTE.............xlolx....BRAWK!

TonkaBison
January 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM

Well, well, well I was wondering when Frank da Tank was going to resurface under another moniker? For those of you who didn't have the enjoyment of listening to his venom on the Fargo Forum's opinion site for the last 4 years we are all simeon apes for not playing D-II football and for having the general arrogance to leave the vaunted North Central Conference. I would strongly encourage you not to encourage him further.

If you think I am making this up I may be willing to shell up the money that the Forum requires for their archives so that the true Frank may be revealed.

Good luck Frank in your latest venomous campaign! xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
January 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
DELAWARE vs MONTANA...........DIS IS DUH BIGGEST RIVALRY IN ALL O' SPORTS........AS DUH GRIZZWOLDS......WOULD MORTGAGE WASH/GRIZ...STADIUM......FO' UH CHANCE TA AVENGE...DUH 49-48!......HEY NEXT TIME........LET'S DO IT....IN NEWARK... (WE HAVE UH ELKS CLUB)......BRING YER OWN DROOL....MONTE.............xlolx....BRAWK!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think we have a winner

GAD
January 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Southern vs Grambling
Southern vs Jackson State
FAMU vs Tennessee State
FAMU vs Bethune-Cookman
Alabama A&M vs Bama State
Jackson State vs Tennessee State
Hampton vs Norfolk State

just a few
You forgot Southern vs. FAMU this one finally gets renewed again after 5 years

GaSouthern
January 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
as far as games go

ASU vs. FU has had some AMAZING GAMES

they get my vote...

GSU vs. FU was a huge startup rivalry but until recently it has been alot of one sided games.

NoCoDanny
January 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I'd say us and Southern Utah is right there at the top... :rolleyes:

AppMan
January 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure the ASU team of 2004 would agree with you. xlolx

With ASU holding a 52-18-1 advantage in the series, I'd venture to say it hasn't ever been a rivalry!

proasu89
January 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Yale-Harvard-Game.jpg/800px-Yale-Harvard-Game.jpg
As Aggie6th mentioned earlier...What's up w/ the crimson H at midfield? Did Yale lose a bet?:confused:

ngineer
January 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM

C'mon Cluckmeister--how many times have the Cluckers and the Grizzlies met???;)

MR. CHICKEN
January 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
UH....ER....UM..........ONE.......:o.....AWK!

OhioHen
January 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM
You forgot Southern vs. FAMU this one finally gets renewed again after 5 years

A rivalry is a regularly-played, "most important game on our schedule," "gotta win or the season's a bust" type of matchup.

If playing the game has to "finally get renewed after 5 years" then it isn't currently a rivalry. Maybe the SU/FAMU series WAS a rivalry in the past and maybe it CAN BE a rivalry in the future, but right now it's just a game that fans would like to see more often. :twocents:

Franks Tanks
January 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well, well, well I was wondering when Frank da Tank was going to resurface under another moniker? For those of you who didn't have the enjoyment of listening to his venom on the Fargo Forum's opinion site for the last 4 years we are all simeon apes for not playing D-II football and for having the general arrogance to leave the vaunted North Central Conference. I would strongly encourage you not to encourage him further.

If you think I am making this up I may be willing to shell up the money that the Forum requires for their archives so that the true Frank may be revealed.

Are you serious??? I am not Frank da Tank of the NDSU boards. I live in Eastern PA--I played and support Lafayette College football. I made a joke, and surely never been on the NDSU boards. Please dont sully my good name :D

YaleFootballFan
January 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
As Aggie6th mentioned earlier...What's up w/ the crimson H at midfield? Did Yale lose a bet?:confused:

Every year at THE GAME, both the Harvard and Yale logos are painted at midfield. It's a tradition that both Yale and Harvard honor at their respective stadiums when hosting THE GAME.

Yale also does this for the Princeton game, where a blue "Y" and an orange "P" are painted at midfield.

65 Pard
January 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM

It was in 1964 and it was the 100th game...I was there, my senior year...

proasu89
January 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Every year at THE GAME, both the Harvard and Yale logos are painted at midfield. It's a tradition that both Yale and Harvard honor at their respective stadiums when hosting THE GAME.

Yale also does this for the Princeton game, where a blue "Y" and an orange "P" are painted at midfield.
Thanks for the info...seems like a unique tradition.

ngineer
January 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
It was in 1964 and it was the 100th game...I was there, my senior year...

Yes, I corrected myself on page 9 of the thread when Carney alerted me to the actual date...I did qualify my repaste with an "...or so"..At our age, the memory just aint as sharp or as quick as it used to be....:(

R.A.
January 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
A rivalry is a regularly-played, "most important game on our schedule," "gotta win or the season's a bust" type of matchup.

If playing the game has to "finally get renewed after 5 years" then it isn't currently a rivalry. Maybe the SU/FAMU series WAS a rivalry in the past and maybe it CAN BE a rivalry in the future, but right now it's just a game that fans would like to see more often. :twocents:

I'm just going to assume you've made this statement, knowing the history of the game.

But for those of you who don't know this history, aside from the money issues, essentially, these two schools hated each other so much, that they had to be seperated from each other... it's pretty deep.

JoltinJoe
January 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
In terms of FCS rivalry, this one is hard to top. This has been discussed on AGS before, but for our new arrivals:

Yale's "We Suck" Prank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale's_%22We_Suck%22_Prank#_note-0)

Harvard-Yale is quite a rivalry.:nod:

appfan2008
January 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
APP v FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkCCU
January 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Citadel/VMI or Citadel/Furman

Those teams have a great rilvarly as well as great stories of things that have happened.

The Sheriff
January 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I was wondering about that little coincidence...

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM
UNH vs UMASS -- especially after the two epic games this past season... So often, back in the Yankee Conference days, the game had title implications. Today, quite often the game has had playoff implications. Should be a season ending game for each team (as it was back in the old YC days), but UNH vs UMAINE currently has that distinction -- another nice rivalry, mostly for the state's proximity to each other and historical similarities of lifestyle, ..... The UNH vs UMASS game annually features many state of Massachusetts players whose college choices came down to UNH or UMASS, ...

cowbellnation
January 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
South Dakota State vs. usd(II)

once the little tykes down south catch up, though highly doubtful, this has been one of the best rivalries in the country hatewise that is. it will be back to dead animals all over the field again, fights, and just pure old fashioned hate. i am split on the game though, usd(II) left out to dry when we went DI, and now they come up once we paved the road for them. but i do miss kickin 'yote butt.

AZBison
January 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM
How about NDSU - Montana (the entire state) there sure seems to be enough pissed off NDSU and Montana fans. It's like a "cold rivalry" we don't actually play but we still hate each other. xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
January 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM
South Dakota State vs. usd(II)

once the little tykes down south catch up, though highly doubtful, this has been one of the best rivalries in the country hatewise that is. it will be back to dead animals all over the field again, fights, and just pure old fashioned hate. i am split on the game though, usd(II) left out to dry when we went DI, and now they come up once we paved the road for them. but i do miss kickin 'yote butt.

sorry - but if you're split on the game as you say -- the rivalry automatically loses against one like Griz-Cat where there IS NO riding the fence. ;)

saccat
January 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
sorry - but if you're split on the game as you say -- the rivalry automatically loses against one like Griz-Cat where there IS NO riding the fence. ;)

IT'S CAT/GRIZ NOT GRIZ/CAT GET IT RIGHT!!!!;)

Grizzaholic
January 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Last year it was Griz/Cat this year it is Cat/Griz

elkmcc
January 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Last year it was Griz/Cat this year it is Cat/Griz

My book says it is always Griz/cat. Sorry

redbirdtim
January 13th, 2007, 12:24 AM
ISU vs SIU has become pretty good, in not just FB; however it's no where close to the top rivalry.

I'd say Montana-MSU. That game is usually always for something.

Bobcat in NC
January 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM
My book says it is always Griz/cat. Sorry

Must have been a misprint. ;) It is, was, and always will be Cat/Griz.

CSUBUCDAD
January 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Although in it's infancy as far as rivalries go, the annual war between CSU and Coastal is bound to build into a classic FCS rivalry over the years. The last two years of that game have provided two of the best battles I have seen on a football field at any level in a long long time.

The Sheriff
January 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
NDSU/UND was hands down the best D2 rivalry there was. It provided D2 sort of a Michigan/Ohio State flavor in that, not only did the game have an impact on all fans in a certain area of the country, but it also had national implications in terms of the playoffs and conference championship. That added fuel to the fire.

Now, it may be the biggest "cold war" in D2/FCS. Both sides can say all they want that they moved on until the other comes calling, but you can't deny that the rivalry hasn't been forgotten with the fans. You mention "Sioux" to a NDSU fan and "Bison" to a UND fan and you will see some spiked blood pressures.

If/When the game is played again, NDSU will probably be the overwhelming favorite until UND proves that it belongs. But i'm sure ticket availability will not be long.

Sonic98
September 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well if I had to take into consideration how heated the fans get with each other, closeness of the game, and attendance, I think the Jackson State vs Southern U game is a pretty big rivalry.

OL FU
September 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Not a rivalry at all but this week I am buying Crestxthumbsupx xnodx

813Jag
September 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Well if I had to take into consideration how heated the fans get with each other, closeness of the game, and attendance, I think the Jackson State vs Southern U game is a pretty big rivalry.
Plus some of us Jags have Mississippi roots. Plus I have some cousins that are J-State grads. My parents are from the Sip.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
wow... talk about digging up an old thread!!!

App v. Furman

Sonic98
September 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I agree with what someone said about the quality of the teams having no barring on if the game is a rivalry or not.

Also, I guess I could somewhat add Jackson State vs Tennessee State since both schools have a big fan-base and alumni-base in Memphis.

I didn't even realize this was an old thread at first. It came up when I was searching for another thread. LOL. I didn't notice til after I'd applied.

citdog
September 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
THE BEST IN THE FCS IS STILL

THE CITADEL VS THE V@GINA MILITARY INSTITUTE

Go...gate
September 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Not in the top 10, but some good ones:

Princeton - Yale
Wofford - Presbyterian
Colgate - Cornell
Lehigh - Delaware

cmaxwellgsu
September 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
In pure football, to me it is Eagles-Mountaineers. 23 meetings, each team's record is 11-11-1. Eagles-Paladins is great because so many games have come with high stakes. We lead the series 12-6, but Furman has a NC win and a trip to Chatty in their column. I don't think they could handpick six any better than they have already.

furman94
September 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
THE BEST IN THE FCS IS STILL

THE CITADEL VS THE V@GINA MILITARY INSTITUTE

Its not a rivalry unless its competitive! Haha!

BEST FCS RIVALRIES:

App vs Furman
GSU vs Furman
The Citadel vs Furman
ASU vs Cantamounts
Lehigh vs Lafeyette
VMI-El Cid

Skjellyfetti
September 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM

BEST FCS RIVALRIES:

App vs Furman
GSU vs Furman
The Citadel vs Furman
ASU vs Cantamounts
Lehigh vs Lafeyette

DISQUALIFIED!

(2004 does not make the series competitive)

furman94
September 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'm talking Historical Rivalries here bud. If you have a name for the game, its a great rivalry.

introvertedGSUfan
September 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I would hope that GSU is Furman's biggest rival and not App.

Skjellyfetti
September 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm talking Historical Rivalries here bud. If you have a name for the game, its a great rivalry.

Eh, I guess just naming a game makes it a great rivalry. I get much more excited for the Furman and Georgia Southern games, though.

Why would you dismiss VMI-Citadel as not historical rivalries because they aren't competitive over... App-WCU?

Citadel is 34-30-2 all-time against VMI. Appalachian is 20-4-2 against WCU.

I was just pointing out if you want to dismiss Citadel-VMI you have to throw out App-WCU.

furman94
September 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I forgot about the Socon ditchers! I'll add VMI too

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Rivalries are about more than a name. Pageantry, hatred, usually family ties; or ties bigger than just a conference game.

UNCBears2010
September 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'll put in a vote for the Brawl of the Wild.

citdog
September 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM

IT'S CALLED

"THE MILITARY CLASSIC OF THE SOUTH"

Grizalltheway
September 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
You know it's an old thread when you see posts from *****. xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
September 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Wolfman vs. Wolfman

BALD EAGLE
September 12th, 2008, 01:57 AM
If Ga. Southern is not one of Furman's rivals then the word rival has no meaning.

To begin with Furman always seems to have more players from the state of Geogia than any other state including South Carolina. It also seems a significant number of Furman's students are from Georgia.

Except for a few games, either a National Championship or a Southern Conference Championship has always seemed to be riding on the outcome of their game.

Since GSU joined the SoCon in 1993 Ga. Southern and Furman have won outright or shared 11 SoCon Championships with the Eagles winning 8 of those.

Just for the record since the Eagles joined the SoCon Appalachian State has won outright or shared 5 SoCon Championships.

Even though ASU does not have the records that the Eagles do we still consider them a great rival.

Ga. Southern's Playoff Record:

6 National Championships

38 Wins 10 Loses

Appalachian State's Playoff Record:

3 National Championships

20 Wins 12 Loses

GO EAGLES "JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Sonic98
September 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM
So, it has to be potentially for the conference championship or a conference championship or a national title has to be on the line for it to be a rivalry.

appfan2008
September 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Ga. Southern's Playoff Record:

6 National Championships

38 Wins 10 Loses

Appalachian State's Playoff Record:

3 National Championships

20 Wins 12 Loses

what are you going for here?

we all know gsu has a more extensive playoff resume than app...

Appstate29
September 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
So, it has to be potentially for the conference championship or a conference championship or a national title has to be on the line for it to be a rivalry.

Sort-of. The SoCon is traditionally top-heavy (ask any CAA fan), so for the past twenty+ years, these same three (four if you count the team that will not be named), see each other every year, and almost always its a battle for the conference championship and later a national championship. It has created its own rivalry of need. However, now, its gotten to the point where we hate Furman and GSU no matter what their record is, and hope to stomp them in the ground and then ram a goal-post through the teams bus. And we hope that BVG has a flourishing career.

A little off-topic, but since I haven't seen another JSU poster in a while (what happened to Jstate83?), how is the new stadium plans coming along?

Wolfman
September 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
There is no rivalry in the FCS to top Montana vs. Montana State. It is the longest rivalry, as well as the most intense.

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
To me the biggest rivalry we have is recently against SIU. I know there is no team I care if UNI beats more than SIU!!

SwacFans
September 12th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Sort-of. The SoCon is traditionally top-heavy (ask any CAA fan), so for the past twenty+ years, these same three (four if you count the team that will not be named), see each other every year, and almost always its a battle for the conference championship and later a national championship. It has created its own rivalry of need. However, now, its gotten to the point where we hate Furman and GSU no matter what their record is, and hope to stomp them in the ground and then ram a goal-post through the teams bus. And we hope that BVG has a flourishing career.

A little off-topic, but since I haven't seen another JSU poster in a while (what happened to Jstate83?), how is the new stadium plans coming along?

I don't know what happened to JS83. Every time it looks like a new stadium deal is about to go through something comes in a screws it up.

AppStateSVX
September 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
at App, I'm pretty sure we are in the search for a new rival. James Madison is close.

WileECoyote06
September 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM

I wouldn't think so. Neither Tennessee or Alabama have won an SEC title in this decade, yet that continues to be a heated rivalry.

Skjellyfetti
September 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
There is no rivalry in the FCS to top Montana vs. Montana State. It is the longest rivalry, as well as the most intense.

Montana - Montana State is not the longest rivalry in FCS...

introvertedGSUfan
September 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
To highlight some of the GSU-Furman rivalry, last year some junkyard card was bought and painted purple with "Furman" written on the car and then placed near our rotunda on campus where many students are walking (obviously so people would see this car). Students took turns wailing on it with a sledgehammer all day long.

Also, lots of GSU students have t-shirts that have some sort of purposeful misspelling/anagram so that it reads like '****** Furman.'

bobbythekidd
September 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
PB&J ya beat me to it.

citdog
September 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
To highlight some of the GSU-Furman rivalry, last year some junkyard card was bought and painted purple with "Furman" written on the car and then placed near our rotunda on campus where many students are walking (obviously so people would see this car). Students took turns wailing on it with a sledgehammer all day long.

Also, lots of GSU students have t-shirts that have some sort of purposeful misspelling/anagram so that it reads like '****** Furman.'

sorry pigs ass, ga you cannot qualify in this one....has to be at least 30 years old to be considered

ashram
September 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Its unique beginning will always set apart the Furman-Georgia Southern rivalry from any other. I consider them Furman's biggest rival, even though The Citadel is our historic one. If the Furman-The Citadel matchups had been consistently close throughout the years, I'd say that would be one of the best in all of college football, especially after the horse incident. But it just went through too long of a period when that was a "gimme" game for Furman. I think a lot of people who were at FU around the time that I was (class of 2000) would first name Georgia Southern as our most hated rival, but App. State is doing a pretty good job of moving up the list.

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Its unique beginning will always set apart the Furman-Georgia Southern rivalry from any other. I consider them Furman's biggest rival, even though The Citadel is our historic one. If the Furman-The Citadel matchups had been consistently close throughout the years, I'd say that would be one of the best in all of college football, especially after the horse incident. But it just went through too long of a period when that was a "gimme" game for Furman. I think a lot of people who were at FU around the time that I was (class of 2000) would first name Georgia Southern as our most hated rival, but App. State is doing a pretty good job of moving up the list.

The Citadel screwed up the rivalry in the early 90s when they thought they were going to be a consistent playoff team by (1) changing the date of the game from the last game of the year and (2) losing most of the time for the next fifteen yearsxnodx xlolx

skinny_uncle
September 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM
YSU-UNI has to be up there. If the teams were closer in distance it would be even more heated.
SIU-UNI in recent years.
How many years in a row have they alternated wins?

The Cats
September 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
To all you asu fans that say that the WCU game is NOT a rivalry......

Tell me the ONE team you play year in and year out that would give you more heartburn losing to, than a loss to Western..........

cats2506
September 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM

What is? Harvard Yale is longer than Cat/griz but what others are over 100 years and still playing each other

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
What is? Harvard Yale is longer than Cat/griz but what others are over 100 years and still playing each other

Wofford Furman is over 100 years old but as people have said before I don't think it ever really reached the rivalry description. My guess is that it is more of a rivalry for the Wofford fans than Furman because for years FU was DI will Wofford was something else.

Furman Citadel is probably close to 100 years. Unfortunately FU took down all the old archived stuff from the website. Hopefully they are just updating it cuz there was some really good historical info on the page.

But I would not place FU/Citadel in the same category as either you mentioned above.

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Its unique beginning will always set apart the Furman-Georgia Southern rivalry from any other.

I agree. I think the start of the FU and GSU rivalry is unique enough to make it qualify as one of the better rivalries around the country. with that said the rivalry is not very old.

crunifan
September 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
SIU-UNI in recent years.
How many years in a row have they alternated wins?

I agree, I view SIU a much bigger rival than UNI. Generally means more in conference standings as well.

Also, I looked it up, we have alternated wins for the past 10 years.

The overall series, UNI leads a close one, 15-11-0.

After this year, sadly, it will go to 11 in a row and 15-12-0, haha!

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
With all due respect to Patssle, I don't think the Sam Houston/Stephen F. Austin battle is the best the Southland has to offer in terms of rivalries...

Maybe it's the best that the Southland has in Texas, but I think it pales in comparison to Northwestern/Stephen F. Austin (c'mon, admit it. That 7 foot tall wooden Indian is a pretty cool trophy to play for, and - considering the historical legends surrounding how Natchitoches and Nacogdoches got their starts from Caddo Indian siblings, it's a pretty fitting symbol). Beyond all that, the game between SFgAy and the S.H.I.T (Sam Houston Institute of Technology) certainly is not contested as fiercly as Northwestern/McNeese generally is...

Northwestern could be 0-10 and McNeese could be 10-0 and it's still gonna be a dog fight....

citdog
September 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM

54-51 you VERMIN SCUM!

citdog
September 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The Citadel screwed up the rivalry in the early 90s when they thought they were going to be a consistent playoff team by (1) changing the date of the game from the last game of the year and (2) losing most of the time for the next fifteen yearsxnodx xlolx

SEE ABOVE

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
SEE ABOVE

And Hello to you too you Citadel Knob:p xlolx

cats2506
September 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Wofford Furman is over 100 years old but as people have said before I don't think it ever really reached the rivalry description. My guess is that it is more of a rivalry for the Wofford fans than Furman because for years FU was DI will Wofford was something else.

Furman Citadel is probably close to 100 years. Unfortunately FU took down all the old archived stuff from the website. Hopefully they are just updating it cuz there was some really good historical info on the page.

But I would not place FU/Citadel in the same category as either you mentioned above.

Well I guess their first game was over 100 Years ago but they have missed a lot of games
Furman vs Wofford 81 games
Furman vs Citadel 87 games
Cat/Griz 107 games

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Well I guess their first game was over 100 Years ago but they have missed a lot of games

Cat/Griz 107 games

I am surprised we played that many.

I also said it really wasn't close to that kind of rivalryxrolleyesx :p

GaSouthern
September 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I've got to go w/ my homer pick on this one

GSU/Furman/App State threeway hateogy is the best in the FCS!

griz&beer
September 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Cat ,griz ..... Montana, Montana State. xrolleyesx

Walkon79
September 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM

BEST FCS RIVALRIES:

App vs Furman
GSU vs Furman
The Citadel vs Furman
ASU vs Cantamounts
Lehigh vs Lafeyette
VMI-El Cid

EAST COAST BIAS!! You should work for ESPN!!

Walkon79
September 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Furman vs Citadel 87 games
Cat/Griz 107 games

And the longest running rivalry west of the Mississippi, ANY division.

Skjellyfetti
September 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
And the longest running rivalry west of the Mississippi, ANY division.

Missouri - Kansas in FBS and Coe - Cornell in Division III are both older and have played more games.

(I assume you were talking about Montana State - Montana)

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Missouri - Kansas in FBS and Coe - Cornell in Division III are both older and have played more games.

Lafayette and Lehigh have met more times on the football field then any other schools. It is the best? I dont know but its up there with Harvard-Yale, Montana-Montana St. and Grambling-Southern.

Skjellyfetti
September 12th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Lafayette and Lehigh have met more times on the football field then any other schools. It is the best? I dont know but its up there with Harvard-Yale, Montana-Montana St. and Grambling-Southern.

Yeah, I agree that Lehigh - Lafayette is up there with any rivalry in the country as far as history. I was just talking about rivalries "west of the Mississippi."

Reed Rothchild
September 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Now that North Dakota is transitioning to FCS, their renewed onfield rivalry with NDSU will be the best.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Now that North Dakota is transitioning to FCS, their renewed onfield rivalry with NDSU will be the best.

These two teams have not played for several years and to this day, due to the short 72 miles between the schools, even the newspapers in Grand Forko and Fargo stir the pot with rivalry talk, every sporting event that takes place in the State eventually turns into BISON, SIOUX Smack in a way its fun but its getting really old. I for one am Looking forward to the first rematch, it will definatley be worth watching, although the fans will make a bigger deal about it as none of the players have stepped on the field with each other.

cats2506
September 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM

FBS Kansas vs Missouri (border war) 107 games, a good rivaly that ranks with Cat/griz

Cant find info on the DIII rivalry