PDA

View Full Version : Question for all I-AA fans

MiamiTorero
December 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have always wondered and thought it would be a decent discussion about how a 1AA all star team would do against a high top 25 1A team. What do you guys think?

PapaBear
December 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Football is the ultimate team sport, and football teams are ALWAYS greater than the sum of their parts,

For that reason, I believe a FCS all-star team would fare no better against a top 25 FBS team than would a quality FCS team, itself. In order for this hypothetical all-star team to play up the potential of its talent, it would have to practice together for several months and play several games together, as well.

Cobblestone
December 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Interesting question. Since I-AA teams have done a decent job competing against I-A teams in recent years, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to predict an upset here. However, if I was a betting man I'd still have to go with the top 25 I-A team. Those guys are I-A for a reason. In fact, unless you can catch that top 25 I-A team on a bad day, I think the results would be similiar to the old days when a college all-star team would always play the defending Super Bowl champs. I'm sure some of the older dudes on the board remember those games.

Fordham
December 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
If the FCS All Stars played together for a season and then played the top 25 BS team, I'd take the good guys.

If not, I agree with the assessment that it's a team game and getting together a bunch of all stars for one game wouldn't give that group a better shot than this year's Appy or UMASS teams would against them.

putter
December 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Was the Magnolia bowl this type of thing? It had BS players vs. CS and lower players?

Cobblestone
December 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Was the Magnolia bowl this type of thing? It had BS players vs. CS and lower players?

It was similar but the players from the I-A team had to be from teams that were not invited to Bowls.

They played against a team composed of players from I-AA,II and III. All in all a pretty good concept, I wish they'd kept it going.

jstate83
December 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM
It was similar but the players from the I-A team had to be from teams that were not invited to Bowls.

They played against a team composed of players from I-AA,II and III. All in all a pretty good concept, I wish they'd kept it going.

They will......................Just need to move the date.
Day before Christmas is not good for this type of game.
A bowl game with all your team-mates is one thing the day before Christmas.................An all-star game is another.

BTW: 1A crushed 1aa, 2, and 3.
35-14.

CSUBUCDAD
December 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM
My take is that there are plenty of players in FCS that had offers to bigtime programs but opted to go FCS so they could play right off the bat instead of sit out for 2 years or so. Make it a BCS vs FCS senior bowl and the FCS would have a heck of a good shot a giving to BCS team a go for their money.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Seems like a silly idea. I think some FCS teams could beat a Top 25 FBS team, but an all star team would probably lose because of the lack of teamwork.

nevadagriz
December 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
The real question is how would bcs allstars do against fcs allstars? Given the same amount of prep time.

andy7171
December 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with the majority. The FCS all-stars would have to develop chemistry over several months of practice. Another good idea would be take a FBS all-star team and pit them against the FCS champion. Eliminating the chemistry of the superior talent would level the playing field.
Intersting topic to think about.