PDA

View Full Version : Samford Dark Horse in the Southern Conference

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 08:06 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23259&stc=1

Samford could be the team to watch this year in the Southern Conference. As coach Chris Hatcher leads his team into his second year, key coaching changes, a strong group of returning starters, and a great recruiting class could mean big changes ahead for a Samford program that has began to catch the eyes of NFL scouts and teams. Recruits are beginning to understand the significance of Samford University as well and with addition of a great replacement for former coach Pat Sullivan in Chris Hatcher, who had really began to ignite the program again, the program continues to improve.

Coaching
When you look at the coaching staff, great additions were made with a new Strength and Conditioning coach, New Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line coach, and Offensive Quality control additions. The offense will be coached very well. On the defensive side of the ball, not too many new additions, but a strong core group returns to lead Samford in 2016/2017.

Returning Players
When you talk about returning players, there are a lot to look forward to with (8) returning starters on the #7 offense in the nation last year and (7) on defense. On Offense, Devlin Hodges at quarterback, WR - Karel Hamilton, and a strong Offensive line led by NFL prospect Armondo Bounheur will make things difficult for any defense this year. On Defense, Tonne Osaigbovo will lead the linebacker core and strong defensive backs coached by former NFL player Sam Shade will anchor the defense.

Recruiting Class
The recruiting class includes the #33 center in the nation, the #86 Athlete in the nation (according to 247 sports) and numerous under rated talented players that had been missed by the bigger schools. Cudo's to the administration and coaching staff along with Ross Newton Director of Recruiting for bringing in such a talented group.

Predictions
Picking Samford to win at least 8 games this year and as many as 10 with one loss to Mississippi State and two games that could go either way, at The Citadel and UT Chattanooga.

Smitty
August 18th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I doubt they will get through the SoCon with just 2 losses but they should be towards the top. They have been my number 2 team in the league this preseason.

SU DOG
August 18th, 2016, 09:34 AM
WOW! What a great way to start my day by reading this glowing report. Samford does have the talent to be a contender for the SoCon title this year. Everything in the post is true, and certainly Samford fans are understandably more excited than usual. There are some barriers, however, that we must overcome. While we were highly ranked on offense last season, our run defense was near the bottom of the SoCon. The offense this year looks to be even better, but the defense MUST improve. I think that will happen as so many players on that side of the ball are returning. We have also kept out longtime DC, who has had some really good defenses in the past. From what I have seen so far, this defense is much faster, so I am very hopeful.

As I have said repeatedly, however, this is a conference that, IMO, is very underrated. An injury, a fumble, a bad decision, or just having an inexplicably bad game, and teams in this conference will make you pay dearly. Samford is a good "dark horse" candidate, but probably teams 3-8 also consider themselves to be right in that underdog mix for the SoCon title. Going to be interesting.

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2016, 09:39 AM
WOW! Everything in the post, may be, subjectively-speaking, true

FIFY

BEAR
August 18th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I think Samford's first test at Estes on The Stripes will tell a lot about the team. Will it be a repeat of last year? Are they stronger? Beating a second place SLC team may not be noteworthy, but it's a road trip in a very tough place for any team to win. Of course, if Samford is picked that high in their conference, this will be a good measuring stick for the Bears too.

Schism55
August 18th, 2016, 11:05 AM
FIFY
Haha. Hope springs eternal in August. See how they are feeling in October ;)

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 11:10 AM
WOW! What a great way to start my day by reading this glowing report. Samford does have the talent to be a contender for the SoCon title this year. Everything in the post is true, and certainly Samford fans are understandably more excited than usual. There are some barriers, however, that we must overcome. While we were highly ranked on offense last season, our run defense was near the bottom of the SoCon. The offense this year looks to be even better, but the defense MUST improve. I think that will happen as so many players on that side of the ball are returning. We have also kept out longtime DC, who has had some really good defenses in the past. From what I have seen so far, this defense is much faster, so I am very hopeful.

As I have said repeatedly, however, this is a conference that, IMO, is very underrated. An injury, a fumble, a bad decision, or just having an inexplicably bad game, and teams in this conference will make you pay dearly. Samford is a good "dark horse" candidate, but probably teams 3-8 also consider themselves to be right in that underdog mix for the SoCon title. Going to be interesting.

Great Points about the defense. The unknown and suspense continues to build in Birmingham and the SoCon!

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I think Samford's first test at Estes on The Stripes will tell a lot about the team. Will it be a repeat of last year? Are they stronger? Beating a second place SLC team may not be noteworthy, but it's a road trip in a very tough place for any team to win. Of course, if Samford is picked that high in their conference, this will be a good measuring stick for the Bears too.

Excellent point UCABEAR. Central will be a strong test for the Bulldogs. The stripes make me dizzy...lol...Hope the Bulldogs can stay focused. If not UCA could be an upset artist.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23262&stc=1

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Haha. Hope springs eternal in August. See how they are feeling in October ;)

How is NDS Shaping Up?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23263&stc=1

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I doubt they will get through the SoCon with just 2 losses but they should be towards the top. They have been my number 2 team in the league this preseason.

Who do you see beating them in the SoCon? Please dont ride the history wagon with the Citadel and UTC. I see both of those programs being down this year. Your thoughts?

Daytripper
August 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Who do you see beating them in the SoCon? Please dont ride the history wagon with the Citadel and UTC. I see both of those programs being down this year. Your thoughts?

First loss will be to UCA. Conway is a difficult place to play.

Mocs123
August 18th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Samford has a lot of offensive talent especially at the skill positions. I can see them having a very good year, however they had some chemistry? Issues last year and if that continues, they could be middle of the pack.

There are 5-6 teams that could legitimately win the SoCon this year. Either way we need Samford to dispose of UCA.

VictoryViking
August 18th, 2016, 02:43 PM
First loss will be to UCA. Conway is a difficult place to play.

Interesting thought. Dont see UCA pulling it out, but anything is possible on the dizzy striped field.

The Cats
August 18th, 2016, 03:07 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23259&stc=1

Samford could be the team to watch this year in the Southern Conference. As coach Chris Hatcher leads his team into his second year, key coaching changes, a strong group of returning starters, and a great recruiting class could mean big changes ahead for a Samford program that has began to catch the eyes of NFL scouts and teams. Recruits are beginning to understand the significance of Samford University as well and with addition of a great replacement for former coach Pat Sullivan in Chris Hatcher, who had really began to ignite the program again, the program continues to improve.

Coaching
When you look at the coaching staff, great additions were made with a new Strength and Conditioning coach, New Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line coach, and Offensive Quality control additions. The offense will be coached very well. On the defensive side of the ball, not too many new additions, but a strong core group returns to lead Samford in 2016/2017.

Returning Players
When you talk about returning players, there are a lot to look forward to with (8) returning starters on the #7 offense in the nation last year and (7) on defense. On Offense, Devlin Hodges at quarterback, WR - Karel Hamilton, and a strong Offensive line led by NFL prospect Armondo Bounheur will make things difficult for any defense this year. On Defense, Tonne Osaigbovo will lead the linebacker core and strong defensive backs coached by former NFL player Sam Shade will anchor the defense.

Recruiting Class
The recruiting class includes the #33 center in the nation, the #86 Athlete in the nation (according to 247 sports) and numerous under rated talented players that had been missed by the bigger schools. Cudo's to the administration and coaching staff along with Ross Newton Director of Recruiting for bringing in such a talented group.

Predictions
Picking Samford to win at least 8 games this year and as many as 10 with one loss to Mississippi State and two games that could go either way, at The Citadel and UT Chattanooga.

Defense is always Hatcher's weakness. Will be the same this year.

Catamount87
August 18th, 2016, 03:16 PM
If there is any time with a bigger question mark in the SoCon going into this season it has to be Samford. Why? Defense. Hatcher isn't known for having great defensive teams. Samford does have the talent the big question is coaching, game preparation and in-game defense adjustments. I'm not sold on the defensive side holding up their end of the game across a full season.

SU DOG
August 18th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Chemistry extra credit question that I used to give my students to solve into a simple sentence.

2c(AlPO) + 1(hgry)k9 yields 1 :) K-9

Samford chemistry problems are GONE - "thy took the Last Train for The Coast" the day the season died.

To dispose of UCA is no easy order. It Is so long , dark, and snaky to get there that I just can't make it. Then there are those stripes to blind you and a bunch of Southland officials - hope they're not the same ones that used to jab us in Thibodaux - still my favorites trips. Besides this UCA has Fourteen, I said 14 players who tip the scales at over 300 lbs each(getting on the scales one at a time I'm talking about). We thought only Razorbacks grew that BIG in Arkansas. And these guys ain't fat either. Then there is former Samford Asst. Coach Clint Clonque, a favorite of mine, who I could strike up an old acquaintance with, but I understand that he is no longer in Conway. UCA Cats and I will certainly have things to talk about soon.

lionsrking2
August 18th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Chemistry extra credit question that I used to give my students to solve into a simple sentence.

2c(AlPO) + 1(hgry)k9 yields 1 :) K-9

Samford chemistry problems are GONE - "thy took the Last Train for The Coast" the day the season died.

It Is so long , dark, and snaky to get there that I just can't make it.

Really? It's all interstate from Birmingham to Conway. Six hours isn't that far to drive.

Toby
August 18th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Samford could be the team to watch this year in the Southern Conference.

Hasn't Samford been a SoCon favorite for years? Weren't they picked #2 preseason last year?

Now if you want a REAL Dark Horse..........

SU DOG
August 18th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Really? It's all interstate from Birmingham to Conway. Six hours isn't that far to drive.
Maybe the new I-22 corridor is finally open, and if so that would save a bunch of time.

SU DOG
August 18th, 2016, 03:46 PM
You're right Toby, ETSU is REALLY a DARK HORSE.

lionsrking2
August 18th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Maybe the new I-22 corridor is finally open, and if so that would save a bunch of time.

It's been open for a while.

BEAR
August 18th, 2016, 04:10 PM
So wait... the striped field is what is causing our players to win games? CRAP! I thought it was talent...xlolx

BEAR
August 18th, 2016, 04:11 PM

I saw Hatch play years ago. He won. Kid had talent. As a coach he has ability. He's a winner. As much as I hate Corky. Life goes on...

http://www.harlonhill.com/Winners/hatcher_hht.jpg

http://www.celebrityparentsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/chris-burke.jpg

Toby
August 18th, 2016, 05:44 PM
You're right Toby, ETSU is REALLY a DARK HORSE.

Well...OK...but don't you have to be a "horse" first?

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Well...OK...but don't you have to be a "horse" first?

This SoCon guy has a horse;...

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/photos/0003/PatrioticPaladin2008UTC1.jpg

...it's not DARK though...

Thumper 76
August 18th, 2016, 08:30 PM
This SoCon guy has a horse;...

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/photos/0003/PatrioticPaladin2008UTC1.jpg

...it's not DARK though...

You would expect to get a horse to look war like, this one looks like it should have a princess on it

ASU33
August 18th, 2016, 08:36 PM

It opened back on June 20th

Smitty
August 19th, 2016, 07:07 AM

Until somebody takes down UTC they will pretty much always remain on top. I see a close game with Mercer, Western, and depending on how far Citadel falls (with the new coach, I don't believe much else has changed on the team).

It is interesting that you talk about the history wagon and added Citadel to it considering they surprised everybody last year with how well they did (and that they haven't been successful in a while).

Smitty
August 19th, 2016, 07:08 AM
You would expect to get a horse to look war like, this one looks like it should have a princess on it

Blame the costume crew not the horse!

VictoryViking
August 19th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Hasn't Samford been a SoCon favorite for years? Weren't they picked #2 preseason last year?

Now if you want a REAL Dark Horse..........

I think Mercer is on the rise. They are improving, but I am not sure they are ready this year.

VictoryViking
August 19th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Could be right. Whats the old saying, defense wins championships? You still gotta score more than your opponent though.

VictoryViking
August 19th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Until somebody takes down UTC they will pretty much always remain on top. I see a close game with Mercer, Western, and depending on how far Citadel falls (with the new coach, I don't believe much else has changed on the team).

It is interesting that you talk about the history wagon and added Citadel to it considering they surprised everybody last year with how well they did (and that they haven't been successful in a while).

Really? UTC has been there the past 3 years, but not before that. they had a good group come through, but many key contributers have moved on. Still have some talent. But definitely a different level of team this year. Down a bit.....1984 was there last SOCON Championship. Not a real power house.

Smitty
August 19th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Really? UTC has been there the past 3 years, but not before that. they had a good group come through, but many key contributers have moved on. Still have some talent. But definitely a different level of team this year. Down a bit.....1984 was there last SOCON Championship. Not a real power house.

Until the teams play each other this year you have no idea if the team level is going to be worse. They lost a few people and their QB (not easily replaceable I know) but until they finish worse than 1st it is hard to put a team above them.

As for a power house, really? Who are your power houses of the SoCon then? If you say Furman or Wofford in their current state...

FYI I hate that I am even saying this considering they have consistently put a beat down on us for the past few years.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM
In watching some of UTC QB Bennifield's videos from last year, this guy is scary. He is big, has a strong arm, and runs really well. Not saying he can replace Huesman with 100% performance, but don't underestimate his abilities and potential. He could and very well will be one of the top SoCon QBs this season - xbawlingx

ElCid
August 19th, 2016, 03:08 PM
I don't think folks are giving Samford enough respect. I got them at 19 in my AGS poll. They are not what I would call a dark horse. They could easily win the SOCON...along with others. The UCA game will tell the tale I think. They blow them out on the road, they could run the SOCON. Not sure it will be a blowout, although I think a win is likely. They finally got in sync late last year after sleepwalking most of the year. They have the offensive talent, whether they have the defense is the question. A win in game 3 against UTC would also give Samford a huge confidence boost early. Right now, I think they will go 8-3 or 9-2.

BEAR
August 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Right now, I think they will go 8-3 or 9-2.

Alot of teams would like to go that!

VictoryViking
August 19th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Until the teams play each other this year you have no idea if the team level is going to be worse. They lost a few people and their QB (not easily replaceable I know) but until they finish worse than 1st it is hard to put a team above them.

As for a power house, really? Who are your power houses of the SoCon then? If you say Furman or Wofford in their current state...

FYI I hate that I am even saying this considering they have consistently put a beat down on us for the past few years.

The past power houses have left the conference. Georgia Southern, Appalachian State. Furman had been there a number of times as well. The QB loss is one of the biggest along with a few guys on offense and defense. All socon types. Hard to immediately replace. Since 2000 the list is below. Samford Joined in 2008.

2000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Georgia Southern
7–1

2001 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Georgia Southern
Furman
7–1

2002 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Georgia Southern
7–1

2003 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Wofford (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wofford_Terriers)
8–0
Elon joins the Southern Conference.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-SoConMembers-11)
VMI leaves the Southern Conference.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-SoConMembers-11)

2004 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Furman
Georgia Southern
6–1

2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Appalachian State
6–1
Appalachian State wins NCAA Division I-AA national championship.[17] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-17)
East Tennessee State leaves the Southern Conference.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-SoConMembers-11)

2006 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Appalachian State
7–0
Appalachian State wins NCAA Division I FCS national championship.[18] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-18)

2007 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Wofford
Appalachian State
5–2
Appalachian State wins NCAA Division I FCS national championship.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-19)

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Appalachian State
8–0
Samford joins the Southern Conference.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Conference_football_champions#cit e_note-SoConMembers-11)

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Appalachian State
8–0

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Appalachian State
Wofford
7–1

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Georgia Southern
7–1

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Wofford
6–2

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Furman
Chattanooga
Samford
6–2
Appalachian State, Elon, and Georgia Southern leave the Southern Conference.

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Chattanooga
7–0
Mercer joins the Southern Conference. ETSU and VMI rejoin the Southern Conference. ETSU to resume football in 2015.

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Chattanooga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chattanooga_Mocs_football_team)
The Citadel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_The_Citadel_Bulldogs_football_team)
6–1
ETSU plays as FCS Independent in first year of program return.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2016, 07:02 PM
As I've said, jury's still out for me on Samford.

Furman was as bad on offense as any team in the country and they looked like the '99 Rams against that Samford defense last year. I don't have a whole lot of faith in teams that cannot rely on their defense to shut their opponent down when trying to close out a football game.

That said, they may prove me wrong.

walliver
August 22nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
Last year, it seems that Samford was a different team every week.

kdinva
August 22nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
Herosports.com SoCon preview.

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/southern-conference-football-2016-preview

VictoryViking
August 23rd, 2016, 08:46 AM
Herosports.com SoCon preview.

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/southern-conference-football-2016-preview

I hear you. I saw Hero sports' publication. Good article, but not much depth in explaining their predictions. They do get one thing right in saying that Samford could be the Dark horse in the SoCon as well as Mercer. Mercer has a lot of returning starters (20) so I get it. However Samford has 16 returners, added great talent in the trenches, and at skill positions. They are big, fast and have significantly improved on defense. Need to be consistent in their play (like every other team) but they look very good....xnodx

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016 ... aking.html

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2016, 09:07 AM
I hear you. I saw Hero sports' publication. Good article, but not much depth in explaining their predictions. They do get one thing right in saying that Samford could be the Dark horse in the SoCon as well as Mercer. Mercer has a lot of returning starters (20) so I get it. However Samford has 16 returners, added great talent in the trenches, and at skill positions. They are big, fast and have significantly improved on defense. Need to be consistent in their play (like every other team) but they look very good....xnodx

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016 ... aking.html

Hot take: Every team in the SoCon not named UTC, the Citadel, or ETSU is a potential "dark horse" that needs to improve consistency.

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Samford has...significantly improved on defense.

You MAY be right, but I think it might be pretty hard to make a case for this claim until the Bulldogs prove that on the field.

Samford lost 10 Sr's/R-Sr's on the Defensive side of the ball. This included at least 5 full-time starters (LB Cooper, LB Killett, DT Pierce, DB Wesley, DB Bradberry) and 55 Total 2015 'Starts' on D. At least 2 of those guys are in NFL Camps this Fall with one being a 2nd round draft choice (Bradberry). They lost their top tackler, a multi-year starter/FBS transfer LB, as well as 2 of their top 3 tacklers and 5 of their Top 8. 43% of their 2015 total tackles, about 1/2 of their TFL's, 1/2 of their sacks, and 1/2 of their INT's have left Homewood behind.

Maybe the replacements for all these guys with this amount of production are all better than their predecessors, but I think it's hard to be certain of that before the 2016 Sammy D has played at least one game.

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Hot take: Every team in the SoCon not named UTC, the Citadel, or ETSU is a potential "dark horse" that needs to improve consistency.

Do you think with the loss of QB Evan Jacks that Wofford falls out of the potential 'dark horse' category? I know they have 2 others with some significant game experience, but their 2015 production in those games pales when compared to Jacks' level of production.

NOTE: This is an HONEST question; not a rhetorical one. I'm honestly not sure how much this will affect the Terriers and I am interested in others' opinions...no ankle-biting please.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM
Do dark horses bite ankles.xembarrassedx

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2016, 10:55 AM
Do dark horses bite ankles.xembarrassedx

Yep...
http://67.media.tumblr.com/bfe60b5d6a2d8017ec1007f1d37166a7/tumblr_inline_nhmnhr28gN1rvhqwv.jpg

SU DOG
August 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
I'm very excited about our defense from what I have seen this preseason. With the talent we had last year, we did underachieve, and I do believe that we will be better, especially against the run this year. Team unity was such an issue last year that IMO, it affected us on both sides of the ball. Replacing individuals is one thing, but bettering production as a team is quite another, and I DO see that happening. Of course, none of us actually know what our teams will be like this season, but we should all be optimistic and excited right now. Yes, we are a dark horse, but like PaladinFan said, so are several others.

For the question from FUBeAR, I definitely believe that losing Jacks is a terrible blow for the Terriers. I have never understood the Wofford QB carrousel that we have seen in the past. I know that HCMA knows what he is doing, but I just always thought that Jacks was head and shoulders above the others. In their offense, it is IMO, more important to be precise and make good decisions than to be statistically a better passer or faster runner. I hate this for the young man, and I certainly hope the Terriers can win the upcoming OOC game, but YES, I think this injury takes the Wofford expectations down several notches.

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2016, 01:37 PM
Do you think with the loss of QB Evan Jacks that Wofford falls out of the potential 'dark horse' category? I know they have 2 others with some significant game experience, but their 2015 production in those games pales when compared to Jacks' level of production.

NOTE: This is an HONEST question; not a rhetorical one. I'm honestly not sure how much this will affect the Terriers and I am interested in others' opinions...no ankle-biting please.

No doubt a big loss. Still, when you run the option based offense and know your QB is going to typically get hit a bunch, I imagine they have to have someone ready to go.

I mentioned this on our forum a couple of days ago, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone other than Wofford fans who could actually name a Terrier QB in the last 10 years. If there is an offense that can more easily withstand the loss of a QB, it is that one.

Besides, I think it is always a bad idea to count out Wofford. Looking at their schedule, they don't see a conference team until September 24 in ETSU. The first real SoCon test won't be until they go on the road to Samford in October. Should give the new QB plenty of opportunity to get acclimated. Better than having to run a new guy out there against a tough conference opponent in week 1.

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm very excited about our defense from what I have seen this preseason. With the talent we had last year, we did underachieve, and I do believe that we will be better, especially against the run this year. Team unity was such an issue last year that IMO, it affected us on both sides of the ball. Replacing individuals is one thing, but bettering production as a team is quite another, and I DO see that happening. Of course, none of us actually know what our teams will be like this season, but we should all be optimistic and excited right now. Yes, we are a dark horse, but like PaladinFan said, so are several others.

For the question from FUBeAR, I definitely believe that losing Jacks is a terrible blow for the Terriers. I have never understood the Wofford QB carrousel that we have seen in the past. I know that HCMA knows what he is doing, but I just always thought that Jacks was head and shoulders above the others. In their offense, it is IMO, more important to be precise and make good decisions than to be statistically a better passer or faster runner. I hate this for the young man, and I certainly hope the Terriers can win the upcoming OOC game, but YES, I think this injury takes the Wofford expectations down several notches.

I'm always interested to know how a team like Samford replicates physicality in practice.

The Air Raid, by design, uses space, up tempo, and relies on spreading the field. How does Samford (honest question) prepare for a team with physical running games? That's something I think they would struggle to replicate in practice.

I personally think that the SoCon has as many strong running teams as they've had in 10-15 years. Samford may just think they can outscore everyone - and maybe they can. At some point, though, I think the Bulldog defense is going to have to stand toe to toe with one of these physical running games and be called on to win the contest in the fourth quarter.

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2016, 02:22 PM
The first real SoCon test won't be until they go on the road to Samford in October. Should give the new QB plenty of opportunity to get acclimated. Better than having to run a new guy out there against a tough conference opponent in week 1.

Didn't realize this - excellent point. I haven't seen any of the Woffy fans mention that, but I bet they are/will be glad that's the case. Yes - essentially, a 4 game pre-season for their 'replacement' QB to iron out the kinks and get up-to-speed. Based on that alone, I would say they are still comfortably within the 'Dark Horse' category.

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
I'm always interested to know how a team like Samford replicates physicality in practice.

The Air Raid, by design, uses space, up tempo, and relies on spreading the field. How does Samford (honest question) prepare for a team with physical running games? That's something I think they would struggle to replicate in practice.

I personally think that the SoCon has as many strong running teams as they've had in 10-15 years. Samford may just think they can outscore everyone - and maybe they can. At some point, though, I think the Bulldog defense is going to have to stand toe to toe with one of these physical running games and be called on to win the contest in the fourth quarter.

2 Excellent Points in a Row PF! This reminded me of the ACC Defensive Coordinator who, at the time, was Coaching for a school running that type of offense. He told me that he was having a really hard time building a TOUGH defense there because they just never have an opportunity to practice tough. The OLmen may be excellent in PassPro, but they can't run block and they couldn't get any kind of 'look' from lead blockers out of the backfield. So, when they come up against Teams that do those things, they just aren't prepared to face it. He said they may be OK for a while, but they just weren't used to taking on that kind of pounding for 60-70 plays. He also said he noticed that it 'spiraled' season-by-season...that they were worse off on D in Year 2 of running that Offense than they were in Year 1. Maybe he was just making excuses, but I've known him for almost 40 years and I can't think of a single other time where he came off (to me) as an excuse-maker. Maybe Coach Hatcher and his DC have found the 'secret sauce' so those things don't affect the Bulldogs this season...we will see.

walliver
August 23rd, 2016, 02:42 PM

It is definitely a loss, but the two replacements are both redshirt Juniors in their 4th years in the program. On a pure talent level, they are probably each as good as Jacks, but Jacks brought something extra to the game that Butler and Goodson did not.

Most Terrier fans are at a complete loss as to the QB carousel last year since most feel that Jacks was clearly the best QB, although it is acknowledged that Jacks was nursing a clavicular injury all of last year. Hopefully Butler and Goodson can gain real world experience before the conference season starts. We also have a promising true freshman, but I hope he can be redshirted.

I expect a two QB system, at least for the first 3-4 games.

I am still optimistic about returning to the playoffs this year. The schedule is stacked against us with road games at WCU, Chatty, Samford and FU.

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2016, 03:26 PM
Didn't realize this - excellent point. I haven't seen any of the Woffy fans mention that, but I bet they are/will be glad that's the case. Yes - essentially, a 4 game pre-season for their 'replacement' QB to iron out the kinks and get up-to-speed. Based on that alone, I would say they are still comfortably within the 'Dark Horse' category.

With all the bloodshed in the conference the first few weeks of the season, I had not realized that Wofford really doesn't face a stiff conference opponent until week 5. They do have ETSU before that, and I may be underselling them, but I think the Bucs are still a ways away.

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2016, 03:29 PM
It is definitely a loss, but the two replacements are both redshirt Juniors in their 4th years in the program. On a pure talent level, they are probably each as good as Jacks, but Jacks brought something extra to the game that Butler and Goodson did not.

Most Terrier fans are at a complete loss as to the QB carousel last year since most feel that Jacks was clearly the best QB, although it is acknowledged that Jacks was nursing a clavicular injury all of last year. Hopefully Butler and Goodson can gain real world experience before the conference season starts. We also have a promising true freshman, but I hope he can be redshirted.

I expect a two QB system, at least for the first 3-4 games.

I am still optimistic about returning to the playoffs this year. The schedule is stacked against us with road games at WCU, Chatty, Samford and FU.

If it makes you feel better, Furman won a conference championship in 2013 playing Reese Hannon (an actual QB), Dillon Woodruff (now a linebacker), Duncan Fletcher (now a TE), Terry Robinson (a RB), and Richard Hayes (a S turned RB turned S turned RB).

BEAR
August 23rd, 2016, 03:44 PM
Alright Samford fans...what do you return on offense? What can we expect to see? Besides being scored on like last year. xembarrassedx

How many starters return? How many transfers? QB coming back? ETC....

SU DOG
August 23rd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks for asking Bear Man - though you might be baiting me.xeyebrowx In Devlin Hodges, we have a much better QB than Eubank was. He has all 3 leading WRs back that gave your DBs some problems last year. We also have the same RBs, as all returned. The O-Line that you saw lost 3 players, but we have our center Gordon Crozier, RS-Sr. 6-1, 290 and our AA candidate RS-Sr. LG Armando Bonheur, 6-3, 305 that return. RT projected starter is Royus Amos, Sr. 6-7, 345, and LT Soph. Antwan Johnson, 6-6, 300. Not sure about RG position, but Sr. Ryan Hughes, 6-5, 297 and USA Jags xfer RS-Sr. Daniel Aust 6-2, 280 are in the mix. All of these players have size and experience, so we actually expect some better play there.

On defense, we have been strengthened by 2 FBS transfers - Ladarius Banks from Vandy and CB Marquis McCullum from ULM have looked outstanding in camp. Banks is a down and dirty DL, expected to be starting tackle while McCullum is a CB that can fly. McCullum currently holds the state 5A record in the 60 yard dash. Other DL starters will be All SoCon RS-Soph Ahmad Gooden, returning starter Jr. Xavier Forrest, and returning starter Roosevelt Donaldson. All conference S Jamerson Blount returns at FS, and Jr. Omari Williams who was a starter returns at CB. We are very strong at LB, and may be improved with that group.

For a new KO returner, we have the services of true Fr. 3*** TaDarryl Marshall, who had about a half dozen SEC offers. His dad played at SU under Terry Bowden and we were obviously thrilled to get this athlete.

You never know how the season will go(Capt. Obvious) but there is some serious talent with this squad.

BEAR
August 24th, 2016, 08:06 AM
SU DOG...that wasn't baiting you. I seriously want to know what our out of conference opponent is bringing to Estes. Looks like another good team. xthumbsupx What you'll get is something vastly different than last year. A third of the roster are freshman. We have some transfers but not in the amounts of SLU or SHSU and other SLC schools. We usually only have 1 or 2 SEC type players. We do have some injuries to our O line to the upperclassmen..which is exactly what we didn't need. What's working for us however is now instead of averaging 5'9" at CB or DB we are about 6' to 6'1" with much better speed and what I call "stickiness" (when a DB can hang with a WR long enough to eliminate him as a target for a pass or make it difficult to catch that pass.) Last year we had DBs and CBs that wouldn't turn their head ever...much different this year. But even so, we're a very young team and that plays in your favor. On offense we have very talented WRs, RBs, QB and TEs. All FCS level and maybe a couple beyond that. But I must warn you Estes is a very difficult place to play. Teams win on fluke events (early snaps for a scoop and score or a 53 yard field goal) and late season matchups where the Bears are just worn out. (Yes, the coach is addressing depth). We'll see you in a few weeks!

Two things going for Samford. UCA's youth and Samford's experience.
Two things going for UCA: Estes Stadium and skill players.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I'm actually excited to see Samford's offense lineup against Furman's defense this season. Last season Furman held them to 360 yards, 17 points, and 0 second half points. Had similar results against a pass-happy VMI team as well.

In my general malaise about the 2015 season, I had forgotten that Furman was top 20 nationally against the pass. Maybe that is because we were so bad against the run (quite possibly), but Furman returns a pretty stellar defensive backfield. Will be excited to see them line it up against a team that is going to throw it all over the yard.

SU DOG
August 24th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Really the only difference last year was the inability of the UCA secondary to cover our WRs. I said, after it was over, that the score was NOT indicative of the actual closeness of the game. YES, it will be a huge task for us to win at Estes. You also left out another little fact about this year's Bear team - there are FOURTEEN guys on that roster over 300 pounds. xeyebrowx I know we both have openers with opponents that we should beat. Mars Hill, however, played UTC deep into the 4th quarter last year, so we may learn more about our team in that game than we want to.

With his Alabama connections and several key players from over here, I know Coach Campbell will be fired up for this one. We only have one player from Arkansas. We think that eventually he will be a good one. He is RS-Fr. Justin Curry, an All-State RB from Fort Smith.

FCS Football - ain't it fun? xnodx

SU DOG
August 24th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I'm actually excited to see Samford's offense lineup against Furman's defense this season. Last season Furman held them to 360 yards, 17 points, and 0 second half points. Had similar results against a pass-happy VMI team as well.

In my general malaise about the 2015 season, I had forgotten that Furman was top 20 nationally against the pass. Maybe that is because we were so bad against the run (quite possibly), but Furman returns a pretty stellar defensive backfield. Will be excited to see them line it up against a team that is going to throw it all over the yard.

We will definitely throw the ball of course, but there has been a great deal of time spent on our running game for this season. With all RBs returning, an experienced OL, and a commitment to the run, opponents may see improved rushing stats this year from the Dogs. Another weapon this year will be more of a true Read Option. Hodges will turn it upfield and run very effectively where Eubank didn't.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2016, 10:52 AM
We will definitely throw the ball of course, but there has been a great deal of time spent on our running game for this season. With all RBs returning, an experienced OL, and a commitment to the run, opponents may see improved rushing stats this year from the Dogs. Another weapon this year will be more of a true Read Option. Hodges will turn it upfield and run very effectively where Eubank didn't.

As I understand the air raid, the linemen have incredible spacing trying to spread the defense as wide as possible. By spreading teams out, it allows the offense to win the numbers game in the box.

Even with the running game, I imagine Furman is a tough matchup for them. Furman is (in my opinion) one of the few teams that Samford will face that can stay in a cover-1 defense with a high safety. Corners keep their man outside and Trey Robinson can cover just about everything downfield. I'm sure it happened, but its hard to recall a time when Furman was really beaten downfield on a pass last season.

The air raid running game requires numbers in the box and spreading out the defense. If the defense can cover the downfield pass with three players, they can outnumber the offense in the box. That is one reason, I think, you saw Samford rush for only 79 yards against Furman, and then 154 against Wofford and 262 against Mercer.

Two of Samford's weakest rushing games were against the teams with the league's arguably two best defensive backfields - Furman and the Citadel. Those two teams can throw more men at the line of scrimmage because they can take away the deep ball with fewer players.

Now, sure as I say this, Samford will throw for 400 and rush for 200 aginst us.

tenNesseeCat
August 24th, 2016, 11:24 AM
its hard to recall a time when Furman was really beaten downfield on a pass last season.

I found 3 in one game.:) They may not have been thrown downfield however.

TD - 14:03 - Tyler Sexton 29 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 21-0
TD - 9:27 - Steffon Hill 36 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 28-0
TD - 11:13 - Karnorris Benson 21 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 48-10

VictoryViking
August 24th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I found 3 in one game.:) They may not have been thrown downfield however.

TD - 14:03 - Tyler Sexton 29 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 21-0
TD - 9:27 - Steffon Hill 36 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 28-0
TD - 11:13 - Karnorris Benson 21 Yd pass from Troy Mitchell 48-10

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23346&stc=1
The Tennessee Cat on the prowl!

Catamount87
August 24th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Let's see what else can we find in the 2015 Furman stats...

vs Samford
2nd 14:43 SAM Karel Hamilton 31 yd pass from Devlin Hodges (1 play)
vs VT
3rd 04:48 VT Ford, I 32 yd pass from Motley (1 play)
vs Coastal
4th 08:15 COAST MAPP, Bruce 24 yd pass from ROSS, Alex

And if you go back to 2014...

1st 12:27 WCU - Spearman Robinson 39 yd pass from Troy Mitchell
2nd 09:15 WCU - Spearman Robinson 21 yd pass from Troy Mitchell

That all aside, Furman gave up 25 rushing TDs last year (8th in SoCon), 222 rushing YPG, 5.2 YPC (both 8th in SoCon) and faced 474 rushing plays (6th in SoCon). So teams knew they really didn't need to throw the ball against Furman.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Let's see what else can we find in the 2015 Furman stats...

vs Samford
2nd 14:43 SAM Karel Hamilton 31 yd pass from Devlin Hodges (1 play)
vs VT
3rd 04:48 VT Ford, I 32 yd pass from Motley (1 play)
vs Coastal
4th 08:15 COAST MAPP, Bruce 24 yd pass from ROSS, Alex

And if you go back to 2014...

1st 12:27 WCU - Spearman Robinson 39 yd pass from Troy Mitchell
2nd 09:15 WCU - Spearman Robinson 21 yd pass from Troy Mitchell

That all aside, Furman gave up 25 rushing TDs last year (8th in SoCon), 222 rushing YPG, 5.2 YPC (both 8th in SoCon) and faced 474 rushing plays (6th in SoCon). So teams knew they really didn't need to throw the ball against Furman.

1. I didn't say it never happened. I just said I didn't recall it happening. Furman had the second lowest ypc in the conference, so, on average, they did not give up the long ball.

2. You know as well as I do that a 70 yard touchdown pass may only go 5 yards in the air.

3. Every defense is going to give up big plays here and there. The Mapp touchdown catch against Coastal was Coastal's best receiver matched up man to man on a backup linebacker. Furman isn't going to ever win that matchup.

4. Teams attempted to throw on us pretty regularly. No, the rushing defense was not good, but Furman only faced 8 fewer pass attempts last season than Western Carolina.

BEAR
August 24th, 2016, 02:50 PM
So is Samford still the darkhorse of the conference? I mean 7 pages of discussion and I'm still wondering..xlolx Guess we'll know when we find out if anyone cares about the U.S. citizens in the Caribbean...

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2016, 05:39 PM
So is Samford still the darkhorse of the conference? I mean 7 pages of discussion and I'm still wondering..xlolx Guess we'll know when we find out if anyone cares about the U.S. citizens in the Caribbean...

dark horse
noun

a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

I think clearly the detailed information provided in this thread disqualifies Samford from being a Dark Horse due to the "about whom little is known" test. So, the answer to your question is "No, Samford is NOT the Dark Horse of the Southern Conference."

SU DOG
August 24th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Until the season starts, little is known about how any team will actually play, therefore I disqualify your disqualification.

VictoryViking
August 24th, 2016, 08:30 PM
dark horse
noun

a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

I think clearly the detailed information provided in this thread disqualifies Samford from being a Dark Horse due to the "about whom little is known" test. So, the answer to your question is "No, Samford is NOT the Dark Horse of the Southern Conference."

How about this......The revised title should be "Samford "Not" the Dark Horse of the Southern Conference but possibly the "Favorite", but since its a prediction, its not confirmed so maybe, maybe not? "

HMMMMM?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23356&stc=1

VictoryViking
September 2nd, 2016, 08:52 PM
Samford wins Big versus a good Mars Hill Team. Mars Hill Ranked #61 (in D2) in the nation, was beaten by Samford 77-7.

Samfords defense is much improved and has depth giving up only 136 yards of total offense to Mars Hill. Their offense was balanced and ran the ball well which is a big change from previous years. 573 yards of total offense. Dark Horse is moving into the light. I was super impressed by the QB, RB, and defensive line. The oline looked very good.... at times averaging around 6'6-325. 77 points is second best in school history since 1903. Samford was able to score despite their two greatest receivers being out with nagging injuries.

chattanoogamocs
September 2nd, 2016, 11:27 PM
Samford wins Big versus a good Mars Hill Team. Mars Hill Ranked #61 (in D2) in the nation, was beaten by Samford 77-7.

Samfords defense is much improved and has depth giving up only 136 yards of total offense to Mars Hill. Their offense was balanced and ran the ball well which is a big change from previous years. 573 yards of total offense. Dark Horse is moving into the light. I was super impressed by the QB, RB, and defensive line. The oline looked very good.... at times averaging around 6'6-325. 77 points is second best in school history since 1903. Samford was able to score despite their two greatest receivers being out with nagging injuries.

This. Is. Awesome.