View Full Version : Charleston Southern at NDSU

Pages : [1] 2

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 12:06 PM
There may be a thread on this out there already, but I wanted to take it in another direction.

Short of going to the Fargo Dome and walking away with a W, what does CSU need to do in the opener to get some more love from the other FCS programs and fans. Yes, I think CSU is slowly getting that respect (before the last 3 seasons, the majority of FCS fans didn't even know who CSU was). IMO, there is no such thing as a moral victory, but if CSU hangs in there with NDSU and manages to keep it within 10 points, is that enough for some of those on the fence to get off the fence and give them some respect?

Obviously, I'm biased and think CSU can go up to Fargo and take care of business (what fan wouldn't), but I'm also a realist - this will be hands down the biggest FCS game we've been a part of, and it's definitely an uphill battle.

Thoughts/Comments?????

centennial
August 17th, 2016, 12:10 PM
There may be a thread on this out there already, but I wanted to take it in another direction.

Short of going to the Fargo Dome and walking away with a W, what does CSU need to do in the opener to get some more love from the other FCS programs and fans. Yes, I think CSU is slowly getting that respect (before the last 3 seasons, the majority of FCS fans didn't even know who CSU was). IMO, there is no such thing as a moral victory, but if CSU hangs in there with NDSU and manages to keep it within 10 points, is that enough for some of those on the fence to get off the fence and give them some respect?

Obviously, I'm biased and think CSU can go up to Fargo and take care of business (what fan wouldn't), but I'm also a realist - this will be hands down the biggest FCS game we've been a part of, and it's definitely an uphill battle.

Thoughts/Comments?????

If CSU can win, they'll probably be my new number 1. However, the Fargodome is really hard place to win. I don't remember the last time NDSU has lost a OOC game in it. Even great teams can get blasted.

Thumper 76
August 17th, 2016, 12:46 PM

Thoughts/Comments?????

If you as a fan didn't think CSU has a decent shot when you're ranked 6, then I'd question whether you really have a top ten team. That being said if they lose its all about how they lose.

walliver
August 17th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Moral victories still count as a loss. To gain any respect a win is needed. I can't think of a team which gained long-term this board by a close loss.

Professor Chaos
August 17th, 2016, 01:10 PM
If CSU can win, they'll probably be my new number 1. However, the Fargodome is really hard place to win. I don't remember the last time NDSU has lost a OOC game in it. Even great teams can get blasted.
That would be the D2 days. Since 2004 NDSU is 36-0 at home against OOC D1 teams (including the playoffs). So it would be accurate to say a non-conference D1 team has never won in the Fargodome.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 01:17 PM
NDSU by 33 or more

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 01:28 PM
NDSU by 33 or more

I'm torn. We should blow them out, but I want people on ESPN to not be bored and instantly start "NDSU shouldn't be FCS." Crap.

If it's close it's probably better for the FCS, but I honestly don't know how close it will be.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I'm torn. We should blow them out, but I want people on ESPN to not be bored and instantly start "NDSU shouldn't be FCS." Crap.

If it's close it's probably better for the FCS, but I honestly don't know how close it will be.
It's a putrid match up for CSU. NDSU will do to them on every single drive what they did to Kansas State a few years ago on that final drive. Just pound the hell out of them. The difference is, CSU probably doesn't stop NDSU as often as KSU did on that drive. It gets ugly...fast.

I understand wanting to feature NDSU. The reality is the better game to feature would have been NDSU/EWU or UNI/Montana.

Or...even though I despise conference games to start the season....NDSU @ UNI. That game would sell out in .005 seconds at $60 a seat and draw better than the playoff game on TV did last year, which was roughly 1.5 million, i believe.

Bison56
August 17th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Thoughts/Comments?????

You don't ask for respect you earn it.

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM
It's a putrid match up for CSU. NDSU will do to them on every single drive what they did to Kansas State a few years ago on that final drive. Just pound the hell out of them. The difference is, CSU probably doesn't stop NDSU as often as KSU did on that drive. It gets ugly...fast.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. CSU had one of the best defenses in the country last year and didn't lose much, if anything, on that side of the ball. You can point to the opponents we faced last year all you want, but we held El Cid to the fewest rushing yards they had all season in the two games we played them. 181 yards in the first game and 199 in the second. El Cid was a team that averaged 347 yards a game against a schedule that wasn't exactly easy. Take away the two games against CSU and they averaged 400+ yards against all other opponents. We held CCU's Henderson to 91 yards and the team to 152 yards total.

Yes, that was last year, but as I mentioned, not much was lost on the defensive side of the ball after last season.

I think CSU is leading this one late and either wins or loses the game on the final drive of the game.

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM
You don't ask for respect you earn it.

I hear ya Bison56. Looking forward to the opportunity to earn in it in 10 days.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Man....ignorance of what they are walking into truly is bliss

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 03:10 PM
I respectfully disagree with this statement. CSU had one of the best defenses in the country last year and didn't lose much, if anything, on that side of the ball. You can point to the opponents we faced last year all you want, but we held El Cid to the fewest rushing yards they had all season in the two games we played them. 181 yards in the first game and 199 in the second. El Cid was a team that averaged 347 yards a game against a schedule that wasn't exactly easy. Take away the two games against CSU and they averaged 400+ yards against all other opponents. We held CCU's Henderson to 91 yards and the team to 152 yards total.

Yes, that was last year, but as I mentioned, not much was lost on the defensive side of the ball after last season.

I think CSU is leading this one late and either wins or loses the game on the final drive of the game.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

F'N Hawks
August 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM

I don't think you understand. And that's fine cause there is no way you would. But if you were paying attention at all to past history you should (at least a little bit).

TheKingpin28
August 17th, 2016, 03:19 PM

You can't be serious, right? Ask ANY fan of ANY team about their 1st time playing an OCC game in the Dome. They will tell you that you do not want to go in there.

“I’ve coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome,” Jeff Monken said. “There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It’s unbelievable. It’s the best atmosphere in college football – at any level.”

Take that from one of the better coaches out of GSU. Even they thought it was rough. If you want to believe that CSU is leading late, go ahead, but I would be more than glad to bet money (yeah I am serious) that CSU will not cover the spread of 17.5. Source http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Comparing The Citadel with NDSU is apples/oranges. Totally different run and blocking schemes. Option uses a lot of cut blocking and dive blocking. NDSU's power west coast scheme uses a lot of G-gap blocking and sustained blocks. Your small front 7 might be quick but they will get run over in the 2nd half.

NDSU by at least 21

Daytripper
August 17th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I wish CSU well, but this one will probably get real ugly.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I hope you understand we're not trying to cut you down, or your team, or mean any disrespect.

There is just another level of play/size, that not a lot of the FCS is on.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif
That really is the reaction i had as I was reading that.

RabidRabbit
August 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Has any team won in the FargoDome in their FIRST TIME there? Given the FCS record, I'd venture the answer is no. Until have played there at least once, to understand the dynamics of the crowd, no FCS program can fathom/practice for the situation. Once start playing regular (conference like) then have a shot.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Has any team won in the FargoDome in their FIRST TIME there? Given the FCS record, I'd venture the answer is no. Until have played there at least once, to understand the dynamics of the crowd, no FCS program can fathom/practice for the situation. Once start playing regular (conference like) then have a shot.
*Cough*

42-27...was 42-20 until NDSU scored a garbage time TD with 29 seconds left

http://unipanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=3665

Daytripper
August 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I hope you understand we're not trying to cut you down, or your team, or mean any disrespect.

This is true. CSU might hang around for a quarter or so, but inevitably the hammer will drop and all of their guts will be scattered on the field.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM
This is true. CSU might hang around for a quarter or so, but inevitably the hammer will drop and all of their guts will be scattered on the field.
Yup...

Playing NDSU is much like playing with a cat. It doesn't seem so bad at first. You get lulled into a sense that the stories of what that cat can do are exaggerated and before you know it they've ripped you completely apart and all that's left is trying to slow the bleeding while hoping it's over.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2CBmjEobr5nHi/giphy.gif

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2016, 03:41 PM
*Cough*
I

2009 was a bad year for the Bison. Drake would have given us a run that year.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 03:42 PM

A run?

Probably beaten us. Lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM
A run?

Probably beaten us. Lol

At least it wasn't Sioux Falls......lol

Professor Chaos
August 17th, 2016, 03:51 PM

A run?

Probably beaten us. Lol
Meh, let's not get carried away. 2009 was an awful season by NDSU standards but it's not like that team got ran off the field every week like what UNI did to them. The other 3 home losses were by a combined 10 points. That was just a team that didn't know how to win close games and didn't have the talent to blow out most teams (the few games they did win were blowouts for the most part). A non-scholly team would've done about the same as a partial scholly Wagner team did that year; lose by 30.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Meh, let's not get carried away. 2009 was an awful season by NDSU standards but it's not like that team got ran off the field every week like what UNI did to them. The other 3 home losses were by a combined 10 points. That was just a team that didn't know how to win close games and didn't have the talent to blow out most teams (the few games they did win were blowouts for the most part). A non-scholly team would've done about the same as a partial scholly Wagner team did that year; lose by 30.

You are true.

Twentysix
August 17th, 2016, 03:53 PM

I understand wanting to feature NDSU. The reality is the better game to feature would have been NDSU/EWU or UNI/Montana.

Or...even though I despise conference games to start the season....NDSU @ UNI. That game would sell out in .005 seconds at $60 a seat and draw better than the playoff game on TV did last year, which was roughly 1.5 million, i believe.

.. CSU was $50 a seat and sold out in less than 4 minutes. It would have sold out just fine at $150 a seat.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 03:55 PM
.. CSU was $50 a seat and sold out in less than 4 minutes. It would have sold out just fine at $150 a seat.
Hate to pull a lakes on this one but UNI/NDSU in US Bank Stadium probably draws 35-50K this year.

20-30K Bison fans and 15-20K UNI fans.

RabidRabbit
August 17th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Sioux Falls, in their last year of NAIA football, would have given most D-2 teams fits, and a LOT of FCS teams. They've been a good addition to the Northern Sun D-2 conference, and help Augie retain/create local rival now that SDSU/USD have moved up.

BTW, why I am not surprised that UNI is a team that wins its first game in the FargoDome? I'll note that UNI is also the one other dome team that comes pretty close to mimicking NDSU. USD does to, at least for SDSU.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Sioux Falls, in their last year of NAIA football, would have given most D-2 teams fits, and a LOT of FCS teams. They've been a good addition to the Northern Sun D-2 conference, and help Augie retain/create local rival now that SDSU/USD have moved up.

BTW, why I am not surprised that UNI is a team that wins its first game in the FargoDome? I'll note that UNI is also the one other dome team that comes pretty close to mimicking NDSU. USD does to, at least for SDSU.
If I'm not mistaken UNI is the only team to have won more than 1 game against NDSU since NDSU moved D1...and is something like a combined 57 seconds and 4 points from winning 2 of the 3 games in the in the FargoDome the last few years

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Hate to pull a lakes on this one but UNI/NDSU in US Bank Stadium probably draws 35-50K this year.

Whatsup LakesPanther?

Do we need to PUMP IT UP!?

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Whatsup LakesPanther?

Do we need to PUMP IT UP!?
I think this year is probably the extreme exception.

You don't think a ESPN game on Aug 27th in US Bank Stadium between #1 NDSU and #2 UNI wouldn't draw really ****ing well for both fan bases? It's damn near a 50/50 split for miles for both schools.

Set ticket prices ranging for the:
grey at $50
purple at $35
All other seats at $25

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/stadium/2016/map/usbs-map-2016.jpg

Split the gate... and each school walks out with over a half million plus an epic recruiting tool for what that game would be.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2016, 04:07 PM
NDSU/UNI would bring a ton of fans to US Bank Stadium.

They would probably put more in TCF than the hapless Gophers this year.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2016, 04:07 PM

You don't think a ESPN game on Aug 27th in US Bank Stadium between #1 NDSU and #2 UNI wouldn't draw really ****ing well for both fan bases? It's damn near a 50/50 split for miles for both schools.

grey at $50
purple at $35
All other seats at $25

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/stadium/2016/map/usbs-map-2016.jpg

Split the gate... and each school walks out with over a half million plus an epic recruiting tool for what that game would be.

It would be amazing....I'm not disagreeing with you at all, Lakes.

MarkCCU
August 17th, 2016, 04:12 PM

You serious, Clark? Unless NDSU ****s the bed or plays the water boy, training staff and mascot, CSU won't win. Sorry.

kdinva
August 17th, 2016, 04:24 PM
a NDSU/UNI game here would get 50K easily......

grey at $50
purple at $35
All other seats at $25

Twentysix
August 17th, 2016, 04:30 PM
a NDSU/UNI game here would get 50K easily......

Probably, if it happened now, while both teams are really good and the stadium is new.

Idk about UNI but Minneapolis is NDSU's biggest alumni concentration (after Fargo). Loads of people from ND and western MN would travel to the game and NDSU has a huge alumni base in Minneapolis to being with.

The same is probably true for UNI.

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Probably, if it happened now, while both teams are really good and the stadium is new.

Idk about UNI but Minneapolis is NDSU's biggest alumni concentration (after Fargo). Loads of people from ND and western MN would travel to the game and NDSU has a huge alumni base in Minneapolis to being with.

The same is probably true for UNI.

Des Moines, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago and Kansas City are hot spots for UNI grads

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Moral victories still count as a loss. To gain any respect a win is needed. I can't think of a team which gained long-term this board by a close loss.

My respect for Wofford's loss to NDSU in the postseason is no good anymore?

dewey
August 17th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Holy crap you sound like Lakes. Can you talk about going FBS too:D

Dewey

POD Knows
August 17th, 2016, 05:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken UNI is the only team to have won more than 1 game against NDSU since NDSU moved D1...and is something like a combined 57 seconds and 4 points from winning 2 of the 3 games in the in the FargoDome the last few years

Keep living the dream.

POD Knows
August 17th, 2016, 06:03 PM
We stink, 32-10 CSU, book it

Libertine
August 17th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Everybody else is objecting to the last statement but I'm going to harp on the second one. Do you really understand who you played last year? I mean, really really understand?

1. North Greenville was 57th in the country in scoring -- in D2.
2. ETSU, a program who scored in double digits only 5 times and managed to lose to a D3 school.
3, 4. Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian, who finished nearly last and so very close to last in scoring offense. Nationally. Those two schools combined scored 10 points less a game than NDSU did in a much tougher conference.
5. Kennesaw State, another first year program actually had CSU on the ropes early until their star QB tore up his shoulder in the 2nd quarter and was lost for the season. They didn't threaten anyone offensively for the rest of the year.

As for the "good teams" you mentioned:
1. You still gave up 400+ yards to Coastal and while, yes, you held Henderson to 92 yards on the ground, he only had 3 carries in the 4th quarter. Also, 92 yards was only 20 or so yards below his season average so I don't know how much your defense contained him so much as Coastal's season-long inability to stop the run late kept him off the field.
2. The Citadel, -- no disrespect intended to El Cid because I grew up going to games at Johnson-Hagood -- despite their gaudy rushing numbers, is a team that won games on speed and scheme but just doesn't have the hogs up front that NDSU does. NDSU can beat you with size and speed and, if necessary, scheme as well.
3. Jacksonville State -- I know you didn't mention JSU but I will -- had over 500 yards rushing and 58 points against you in a game that, were it not for Darius Hammond's absurdly and uniquely productive day returning kickoffs, would never have been even close.

All of this, of course, only partially matters because, you know, passing.
1. Troy only rushed for 125 yards against you but still put up 40+.
2. Liberty may have set a record for offensive inefficiency against you and you still needed a late TD to get that one.
3. Alabama -- granted, Bama is Bama -- only rushed for 195 but still won by 50.

As for not losing much, that's extremely relative. Historically, CSU has not been a program that easily absorbs personnel losses for any reason. Seniors have always been a precious commodity there and, looking at last year's 2-deep for your back 7 on defense, I see that 6 of the 14 names have 'Sr' next to them. Young guys are going to have to learn some gameday leadership which might be a little tough to do when they're locked in a room with 19,000 screaming North Dakotans.

BisonTru
August 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM
*Cough*

First off we were awful that year.

Second, the atmosphere has completely changed in the last 7 years. You used to get scowled at for standing. Now you'll get scowled at if you're not standing on defense.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 17th, 2016, 07:05 PM

grey at $50
purple at $35
All other seats at $25

This concept has me drooling.... It would be awesome, both fan bases would show up in a big way, great showcase for the division. Why don't we make it Thanksgiving weekend.

kdinva
August 17th, 2016, 07:10 PM
both fan bases would show up in a big way, great showcase for the division. Why don't we make it Thanksgiving weekend.

then both would not be able to participate in the playoffs..........unless you played Thusday afternoon, and had 48 hours to recover, travel, rest, and prepare for saturday game, unless you could guarantee a bye thanksgiving Saturday.......see the SWAC.......

Professor Chaos
August 17th, 2016, 07:21 PM
then both would not be able to participate in the playoffs..........unless you played Thusday afternoon, and had 48 hours to recover, travel, rest, and prepare for saturday game, unless you could guarantee a bye thanksgiving Saturday.......see the SWAC.......
Yabut then we could brag about how much better the attendance for the NDSU/UNI game was than all the playoff games being played that weekend.

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Yabut then we could brag about how much better the attendance for the NDSU/UNI game was than all the playoff games being played that weekend.

ZING! xlolx that was savage.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 17th, 2016, 08:40 PM

Literally why I posted it in purple..... Kinda the joke.....

Twentysix
August 17th, 2016, 08:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/9nohQh4.jpg

Bisonator
August 17th, 2016, 08:55 PM
This concept has me drooling.... It would be awesome, both fan bases would show up in a big way, great showcase for the division. Why don't we make it Thanksgiving weekend.

Hey is clenz suggesting we move the game to the Bank this year? I'm all in! :D

POD Knows
August 17th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Hey is clenz suggesting we move the game to the Bank this year? I'm all in! :D

Yea, I would go for this year and 2018, then after that I might get boring.

SENOREIDA
August 17th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Everybody else is objecting to the last statement but I'm going to harp on the second one. Do you really understand who you played last year? I mean, really really understand?

2. ETSU, a program who scored in double digits only 5 times and managed to lose to a D3 school.
3, 4. Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian, who finished nearly last and so very close to last in scoring offense. Nationally. Those two schools combined scored 10 points less a game than NDSU did in a much tougher conference.
5. Kennesaw State, another first year program actually had CSU on the ropes early until their star QB tore up his shoulder in the 2nd quarter and was lost for the season. They didn't threaten anyone offensively for the rest of the year.

1. You still gave up 400+ yards to Coastal and while, yes, you held Henderson to 92 yards on the ground, he only had 3 carries in the 4th quarter. Also, 92 yards was only 20 or so yards below his season average so I don't know how much your defense contained him so much as Coastal's season-long inability to stop the run late kept him off the field.
2. The Citadel, -- no disrespect intended to El Cid because I grew up going to games at Johnson-Hagood -- despite their gaudy rushing numbers, is a team that won games on speed and scheme but just doesn't have the hogs up front that NDSU does. NDSU can beat you with size and speed and, if necessary, scheme as well.
3. Jacksonville State -- I know you didn't mention JSU but I will -- had over 500 yards rushing and 58 points against you in a game that, were it not for Darius Hammond's absurdly and uniquely productive day returning kickoffs, would never have been even close.

2. Liberty may have set a record for offensive inefficiency against you and you still needed a late TD to get that one.

As for not losing much, that's extremely relative. Historically, CSU has not been a program that easily absorbs personnel losses for any reason. Seniors have always been a precious commodity there and, looking at last year's 2-deep for your back 7 on defense, I see that 6 of the 14 names have 'Sr' next to them. Young guys are going to have to learn some gameday leadership which might be a little tough to do when they're locked in a room with 19,000 screaming North Dakotans.
This is pretty spot on. CSU is about to be in a world of hurt. This game will mess with them.
this year the conference is between Liberty and Kennessaw St.

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM

You've apparently misinterpreted my statement. Nobody is denying the weak schedule. I'm simply pointing out that all the opponents that were supposed to "run it down our throats" didn't do so. With Henderson's 92 yards I believe he broke one run for 50+/-, but otherwise was contained. I hate how last season the Citadel was a "front runner" in a great conference last year and now looking back, they were just ok????? Troy put up points that our offense gave up. The points that our defense gave up in that game came defending a short field. No game is too big for CSU....I believe they've proved that over the last several years. 19,000 fans isn't going to bother our guys. They've had there share of big games against D1 opponents and contended with much more than 19,000. Hope to be able to get on here after the game and say I told you so, but we'll see.

BisonTru
August 17th, 2016, 09:53 PM
They've had there share of big games against D1 opponents and contended with much more than 19,000. Hope to be able to get on here after the game and say I told you so, but we'll see.

Every damn time we get this. 19,000 doesn't sound intimidating and I don't doubt you've witnessed bigger, but we aren't saying this chit to be arrogant. If you're players and coaches have the same attitude you do about the Fargodome this will be ugly.

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 09:57 PM

I completely understand. No doubt NDSU is at the top of FCS. I just know how our team is coached and no game or stadium will be too big for us (unless we're talking about Bama, UGA, etc.....then we're screwed).

dewey
August 17th, 2016, 10:02 PM
19,000 fans isn't going to bother our guys. They've had there share of big games against D1 opponents and contended with much more than 19,000. Hope to be able to get on here after the game and say I told you so, but we'll see.

You have certainly played in front of more people. What fans don't seem to understand is that the Fargodome is closed so all the sounds stays in the stadium and that yes the crowd is smaller but so is the stadium. So saying that NDSU isn't as loud as the big FBS teams because they have more fans isn't correct. It is the size of the crowd in relation to the building volume plus a closed structure to keep the sound in.

Like others have said NDSU fans are not trying to be arrogant about this just that it is tiresome hearing the same comments from teams coming to Fargo for the first time.

Look at my signature from Jeff Monken the Georgia Southern coach after the 2012 semifinal game. Look back to what the Richmond coach said after last year's semifinal game. Look back at what Joe Moglia said after the 2013 quarterfinal game.

I keep hearing that CSU has such a great defense but they were abused by JSU in the quarterfinals. The same team that NDSU whooped in the finals.

No disrespect to your team but teams that come to Fargo for the first time the last 6 times do not fair well. I am sure they will be ready for the bug game. If CSU wins I will be on here congratulating CSU on the victory along with countless other NDSU fans.

Dewey

CSU18
August 17th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Every damn time we get this. 19,000 doesn't sound intimidating and I don't doubt you've witnessed bigger, but we aren't saying this chit to be arrogant. If you're players and coaches have the same attitude you do about the Fargodome this will be ugly.

Listen - slow your roll. Nobody is saying that NDSU, The Fargo Dome, or anything about the state of North Dakota isn't great. I understand you've won 5 NC in a row - that is unreal. It would be impressive to say you've won 5 NC's in a 10 year span, let alone 5 in a row. The Fargo Dome is great. I've seen it on TV - the fans are great, it's a great atmosphere, and it's tough to win there. I'm simply saying, our guys will be fine. The game won't be too big for them. Your fans and stadium do not win games - they may help you win games, but they're not the things that win football games. What happens between the lines is what wins. Can't wait for next weekend. We may lose by 50 or we may win by 1, and that's fine either way because I'll wake up the next day and continue to live my life. But I really feel like we'll be fine next weekend.

Bisonoline
August 17th, 2016, 10:11 PM
You've apparently misinterpreted my statement. Nobody is denying the weak schedule. I'm simply pointing out that all the opponents that were supposed to "run it down our throats" didn't do so. With Henderson's 92 yards I believe he broke one run for 50+/-, but otherwise was contained. I hate how last season the Citadel was a "front runner" in a great conference last year and now looking back, they were just ok????? Troy put up points that our offense gave up. The points that our defense gave up in that game came defending a short field. No game is too big for CSU....I believe they've proved that over the last several years. 19,000 fans isn't going to bother our guys. They've had there share of big games against D1 opponents and contended with much more than 19,000. Hope to be able to get on here after the game and say I told you so, but we'll see.

I will also say that the moment wont be too big for you guys. The football field is the same size as the one you have in your backyard . You were a playoff team for a reason. Football is football.
BUT----
Let me try and give you a perspective on the noise in the Dome. Ive played in front of 80K + fans and had no problem communicating on the field which was important because I was an offensive center. At the dome Ive been in my seat and couldnt hear the person next to me. Down on the field it is deafening. But I guess its one of those things you just need to experience to believe it. I know I didnt believe it either when I first started going back to the games..

TheKingpin28
August 17th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I'm still waiting for you to take my bet. Please do it so you can understand why teams who underestimate The Dome the first time around fare horribly in OOC. If you do not want to take it then back down from your comments. Put your money where your mouth is.

TheKingpin28
August 17th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I know I sound brash but time and time again people say the exact same ideas and it turns ugly real fast. I will back up my comments and am willing to front it, but to say that you will be different when no one in OOC has, is beating the same bush that others have before you.

Laker
August 17th, 2016, 10:21 PM

I'd be there to see that matchup.

dewey
August 17th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I'd be there to see that matchup.

Hell yeah! Giant AGS part on my block if that game happened at US Bank Stadium...maybe.

Dewey

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2016, 10:33 PM
(Team NDSU is playing) has played in front of *insert FBS/SEC* so we won't have an issue.

Keep adding them in the pile with Georgia Southern, Furman, SHSU, Richmond, Coastal, UNH and other OOC teams making their first trip.....it's a broken record.

BisonTru
August 17th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Listen - slow your roll. Nobody is saying that NDSU, The Fargo Dome, or anything about the state of North Dakota isn't great. I understand you've won 5 NC in a row - that is unreal. It would be impressive to say you've won 5 NC's in a 10 year span, let alone 5 in a row. The Fargo Dome is great. I've seen it on TV - the fans are great, it's a great atmosphere, and it's tough to win there. I'm simply saying, our guys will be fine. The game won't be too big for them. Your fans and stadium do not win games - they may help you win games, but they're not the things that win football games. What happens between the lines is what wins. Can't wait for next weekend. We may lose by 50 or we may win by 1, and that's fine either way because I'll wake up the next day and continue to live my life. But I really feel like we'll be fine next weekend.

I didn't say anything about you respecting our team or the championships. They speak for themselves and you and everyone else in the FCS I think has more than enough respect for what we have accomplished.

What we are saying is your team and coaches need to really understand how difficult it is coming into the Fargodome. I've seen many teams come in with the "we will be fine" attitude, and I've seen teams come in with a ton of respect for the dome, and both have always underestimated what the Fargodome will be like their first go around. Maybe your team will break the mold, but it isn't likely bud. Especially if your coaches and players are coming in with the "we will be fine" expectation.

And to top everything off this game is the kickoff, it's on ESPN, we're lowering the banner again. There's going to be a lot to pump up our players and fans. I'd give you guys a better shot if this game was played later in the season.

Time will tell, be excited. We're fans, but I don't think this game will be close. Who knows, if you guys do pull the upset, you're doing it on national tv. That would be damn cool for your program.

Libertine
August 18th, 2016, 07:20 AM

The Citadel was never considered a "front runner" last year. In fact, 2015 was only their 4th winning season in 20 years and they were picked to finish 7th (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=210228193)out of 8 teams in the SoCon to start the year. Yes, they had a relatively great year getting to the playoffs and beating an SEC team to end the season but it's not like any of that was expected in September.

I have been to a lot of FBS games with serious hardcore people in the stands and, without question, the loudest and most intense environment I've ever been in was at Montana. The FBS stadiums may have had more numbers in the seats but the UM fans were smart about the game and the architecture of the stadium contained the noise so that it was impossible to hear words coming out of your own mouth. I can only imagine what would have happened if they had a roof on the place as does NDSU. 19,000 doesn't sound like an overwhelming number of people until every last one of them is yelling right in your ear. I think the Coastal fans who have been to both the FargoDome and Wa-Griz could attest to what I'm saying.

"No game is too big for CSU" is a subjective statement. Yes, you guys punch above your weight class a lot but you can also read that statement as "no paycheck is too big for CSU" or "no chance to get on TV is too big for CSU". I grew up one exit away from CSU and I can tell you that, as an institution, CSU has long labored under the mistaken belief that all press is good press. Judging solely by your username, you're probably too young to remember the Baptist College "steeple" fiasco in the 80's or the BC/CSU name change controversy in the 90's or the Al Parish debacle in the 00's but trust me when I say that CSU's own history has shown the error of that idea. As to this game, it's not that any one game is "too big" for CSU or anyone else. None of that matters. Both teams are going to show up, the ball will be kicked, the game will be played regardless of its thematic size and, usually, they'll all do the same thing against someone else the following week. What's objectionable is the assumption that one game or one stellar season can and should give a program instant national credibility as your initial post suggests. I hope CSU acquits themselves well here because that's good for the conference. But, beyond that, it's just one game. Just like Kentucky State a week later.

CSU18
August 18th, 2016, 08:44 AM
The Citadel was never considered a "front runner" last year. In fact, 2015 was only their 4th winning season in 20 years and they were picked to finish 7th (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=210228193)out of 8 teams in the SoCon to start the year. Yes, they had a relatively great year getting to the playoffs and beating an SEC team to end the season but it's not like any of that was expected in September.

I have been to a lot of FBS games with serious hardcore people in the stands and, without question, the loudest and most intense environment I've ever been in was at Montana. The FBS stadiums may have had more numbers in the seats but the UM fans were smart about the game and the architecture of the stadium contained the noise so that it was impossible to hear words coming out of your own mouth. I can only imagine what would have happened if they had a roof on the place as does NDSU. 19,000 doesn't sound like an overwhelming number of people until every last one of them is yelling right in your ear. I think the Coastal fans who have been to both the FargoDome and Wa-Griz could attest to what I'm saying.

"No game is too big for CSU" is a subjective statement. Yes, you guys punch above your weight class a lot but you can also read that statement as "no paycheck is too big for CSU" or "no chance to get on TV is too big for CSU". I grew up one exit away from CSU and I can tell you that, as an institution, CSU has long labored under the mistaken belief that all press is good press. Judging solely by your username, you're probably too young to remember the Baptist College "steeple" fiasco in the 80's or the BC/CSU name change controversy in the 90's or the Al Parish debacle in the 00's but trust me when I say that CSU's own history has shown the error of that idea. As to this game, it's not that any one game is "too big" for CSU or anyone else. None of that matters. Both teams are going to show up, the ball will be kicked, the game will be played regardless of its thematic size and, usually, they'll all do the same thing against someone else the following week. What's objectionable is the assumption that one game or one stellar season can and should give a program instant national credibility as your initial post suggests. I hope CSU acquits themselves well here because that's good for the conference. But, beyond that, it's just one game. Just like Kentucky State a week later.

Agree with the majority of what you say here. I think some of what I'm saying is getting misinterpreted through text. El Cid wasn't a front runner early - correct, but as the season progressed, they became a front runner. I don't doubt that the Fargo Dome will be shaking, and that it's a tough place to play - hell, they're practically unbeaten at home. You're correct in that no paycheck is too big. I also feel like we've gone into games that others say we have a 0% chance of winning ex. Coastal twice when they were in the top 5 in the country, the Citadel 3 of the last 4 times we played, and Vandy when they scored late to beat us (stop rolling your eyes, I know it's Vandy and they're terrible but it's still an SEC team...lol).

I do know all about the Al Parrish debacle. I was in school then. Please tell me about the steeple fiasco and the name change debacle though - never heard anything about that - I can only imagine.

walliver
August 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM
My respect for Wofford's loss to NDSU in the postseason is no good anymore?

We received a lot more respect by beating Montana in Missoula and knocking App State out of the AP's "others receiving votes" poll after their Michigan win.

I was proud of our team's performance against NDSU, especially having to start a third-string walk-on QB due to injuries, and like many fans, still second-guess our OC's decision on the final 4th down not to give the ball to the running back who brought us to the dance in the first place... But, in the end, it's the wins that count.

In the case of CSU, they are still waiting for the "big win" to generate respect. Vanderbilt should have been that win, but somehow the Commodores came back.

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2016, 09:51 AM
$100 that CSU doesn't score more than 12 Points.

Ursus, you want to be the middleman?

Libertine
August 18th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Please tell me about the steeple fiasco and the name change debacle though - never heard anything about that - I can only imagine.

Sure. In '82 or '83, CSU was known as Baptist College and was sponsored then as it is now by the SC Baptist Convention. The convention had appropriated funding to the school to build academic buildings at the same time that the school was raising money on its own to finish Lightsey Chapel. Lightsey had been under construction for several years at that point and was way over budget. Fundraising for that project had stalled so the school president took the money allocated by the SCBC for academics and used it complete Lightsey. This included adding a steeple which had not allegedly been in the original plans but, to roughly quote him at the time, "people can see the steeple from the interstate and they'll know there's something Christian here". The irony of that statement was you really couldn't see the steeple from I-26. You couldn't then and you can't now. The SCBC was justifiably upset about this and, for a period, froze funding to the school entirely. It was quite a tempest in the Baptist teapot for a year or so and the president was nearly forced out both due to going against the convention's wishes as well as nearly bankrupting the school due to the massive debt incurred by Lightsey's construction. He survived it but ended up resigning a year or so later right around the time that construction on the chapel was completed.

The name change was more of a regional/alumni controversy. Baptist College had been Baptist College for 25 years but changed the name when they achieved university status in 1991. Rather than simply change it to "Baptist University" as I suppose was expected. They changed it to the current name, "Charleston Southern University" in order to broaden their appeal to potential students, affiliate themselves with the city of Charleston (16 miles away to the southwest) and make it more of a regional institution as opposed to a niche denominational school. Everybody hated the change and I mean everybody. The Baptist College alumni was a small group but were very vocal and felt the school was betraying its roots and beliefs; the College of Charleston was not happy about it because of the similarity in names; The Citadel hated it because the "Southern" aspect appropriated part of the name of Georgia Southern -- the Citadel and GSU had a little bit of a budding rivalry at the time -- ; the citizens of Charleston proper weren't happy because they felt CSU was appropriating the name of a city that it's not located in; and the citizens of North Charleston were unhappy because CSU had NOT appropriated the name of the city that it actually is located in (yes, some really thought CSU should have gone with North Charleston Southern University). It wasn't a big deal outside of the tri-county area but the name change earned CSU a lot of bad blood from the locals for a while, even from those who had never heard of the place.

I bring those up in relation to the NDSU game because CSU, historically, has a habit of over-reaching for the sake of notoriety or social buzz, as if there were some sort of magic bullet that would grant institutional respect or credibility. This is what led them to support and promote in every way possible, including with their investments, an economics professor who ran around in a purple jump suit and called himself Economan. You obviously know how that story ended. The point I'm getting at is that NDSU has built their respect over time and time is not something that can be bought, won, or lucked into.

Hammerhead
August 18th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Are Bison crowds usually amped for the opener? I had tickets last year, but had to sell them since I ended up working all weekend. :( I know it's hard to compare to playoff games when some of the openers haven't been against the best opponents.

Professor Chaos
August 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Are Bison crowds usually amped for the opener? I had tickets last year, but had to sell them since I ended up working all weekend. :( I know it's hard to compare to playoff games when some of the openers haven't been against the best opponents.
At the start of the game most definitely. Of course this year you've got a primetime nationally televised kickoff with the banner raising, new video boards (and new intro video), and tribute to the late great Scott Miller. It's going to be a playoff atmosphere in there at the start of the game. Usually most home openers have been snoozers by mid-2nd quarter so the crowd has calmed down considerably. Honestly, I think CSU's best chance is to weather the early storm and hang around within 7-10 points in the 1st half and creep back into it in the 2nd half. I doubt the home opener crowd is going to be conditioned to be yelling at the top of our lungs into the 4th quarter so if the Bucs keep it close the crowd won't be as much of a factor late in the game as it would be in the playoffs if the game is tight.

Bisonator
August 18th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I like the bluster from fans of new teams playing NDSU for the first time. They should be confident and proud of their teams. It's also fun to hear their thoughts after the game. Not sure why some Bison fans need to try to pound it in to other fans about how tough it is to play in the FD or against NDSU. They'll find out eventually. Just enjoy the ride!

Bison56
August 18th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Richmond fans "At the same time, the crowd noise is not going to make our team shrivel up and hide in a corner. You'll have to play a great game to beat us, and we'll have to do the same to beat you."

GSU fans 2011 "Considering we held up pretty well against Bama's 100k, I think we can handle 18k."

I could go on.

Lehigh'98
August 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Good luck Chuck!!

Catamount87
August 18th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Yes, y'all held Citadel to season lows in rushing. But I'd like to toss a couple of statistics into the discussion. The Citadel offensive line averages roughly 6'-2" and 265 pounds. NDSU's line averages 6'-5" and 291 pounds. That's a more like a good solid FBS program offensive line. CSU played one FBS team last year, 4-8 Troy and got throttled 44-16 and gave up an average of 4.5 ypc to an offensive line that averages 303 pounds.

Sorry, but I don't see y'all having the same success against the run or pressuring the QB.

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Yes, y'all held Citadel to season lows in rushing. But I'd like to toss a couple of statistics into the discussion. The Citadel offensive line averages roughly 6'-2" and 265 pounds. NDSU's line averages 6'-5" and 291 pounds. That's a more like a good solid FBS program offensive line. CSU played one FBS team last year, 4-8 Troy and got throttled 44-16 and gave up an average of 4.5 ypc to an offensive line that averages 303 pounds.

Sorry, but I don't see y'all having the same success against the run or pressuring the QB.

Our starting O line for the CSU game: 305, 331, 302, 322, 298. 6'5", 6'4", 6'4", 6'7", 6'7"

Oh baby.

clenz
August 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Our starting O line for the CSU game: 305, 331, 302, 322, 298. 6'5", 6'4", 6'4", 6'7", 6'7"

Oh baby.
As I said.

CSU is going to get ****ing crushed at the point of attack. CSU better hope their linebackers are as agile as most defensive backs because they are going to have OL on them in a second at the second level.

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2016, 03:32 PM
As I said.

CSU is going to get ****ing crushed at the point of attack. CSU better hope their linebackers are as agile as most defensive backs because they are going to have OL on them in a second at the second level.

If our O-line is getting to the second level consistently, this one won't even be close. That means the ones making the tackles on our Running backs will be Safeties and Corners....which doesn't bode well for a team.

CSU18
August 18th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Point taken. I'm well aware that The Citdel and NDSU have completely different rushing attacks. With that said we held them to 380 rushing yards for two games total. They had 310 against GA Southern, 291 against UTC, 350 against South Carolina, and 524 against Coastal. They obviously weren't that bad at what they did, even with a smaller than FBS o-line.

Again, I know it's a different style with different size o-linemen....simply stating that in the previous year, we weren't too bad at stopping the run.

clenz
August 18th, 2016, 03:34 PM
If our O-line is getting to the second level consistently, this one won't even be close. That means the ones making the tackles on our Running backs will be Safeties and Corners....which doesn't bode well for a team.
And NDSU running backs are the same size, or bigger, than CSU linebackers. That makes 1 on 1 tackles even harder.

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2016, 03:35 PM
And NDSU running backs are the same size, or bigger, than CSU linebackers. That makes 1 on 1 tackles even harder.

If they can wrap like NDSU's or UNI's LBs, I'll be concerned. I've never seen another team wrap as well as NDSU or UNI, though.

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2016, 03:38 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/colten-heagle-on-the-insiders-aug-17-2016

Great listen from Colton Heagle, probably NDSU's top safety during this run.

Listen to how much he knows about the defense and it makes sense how our d is so insanely good.

clenz
August 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM
If they can wrap like NDSU's or UNI's LBs, I'll be concerned. I've never seen another team wrap as well as NDSU or UNI, though.
Coach K is a big reason for that at both places.

When we lost Coach K to NDSU we went through a season or two of guys trying to hit stick, especially the secondar. When that got corrected it made a huge difference

RowdyRabbit
August 18th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I'll be stunned...stunned if CSU puts up more than 14 and/or allows less than 31.

clenz
August 18th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I'll be stunned...stunned if CSU puts up more than 14 and/or allows less than 31.
This could play out like the EIU/UNI playoff game.

Maybe NDSU comes out a touch shaky and CSU even gets on the board first and lands a couple blows...then NDSU drops damn near 60

BisonTru
August 18th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Oh baby.

Average: 312, 6'5"

How many FBS programs are bigger than that?

Schism55
August 18th, 2016, 04:59 PM
http://sportsnola.com/size-matters-college-footballs-biggest-offensive-linemen-2016/

TheKingpin28
August 18th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Still waiting on that bet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM

If CSU stays in a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5 then they will be run out of the dome, esp in the 2nd half.

Johnson - Kuhnert - Plankers on the inside......holy **** they are going to plow teams over on the inside. They are going to crush CSU's DL.

- - - Updated - - -

Still waiting on that bet.

What's the bet?

Twentysix
August 18th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Average: 312, 6'5"

How many FBS programs are bigger than that?

Looks like 19.

BisonTru
August 18th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Looks like 19.

I rounded up we were 311.6, iirc. So 20s range. Not too shabby, for a JV FCS program.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM
So where are all the CSU fans?

Thumper 76
August 18th, 2016, 06:29 PM
So where are all the CSU fans?

After beat down the one dude has gone through would you post much? xlolx

TheKingpin28
August 18th, 2016, 06:56 PM
You can't be serious, right? Ask ANY fan of ANY team about their 1st time playing an OCC game in the Dome. They will tell you that you do not want to go in there.

“I’ve coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome,” Jeff Monken said. “There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It’s unbelievable. It’s the best atmosphere in college football – at any level.”

Take that from one of the better coaches out of GSU. Even they thought it was rough. If you want to believe that CSU is leading late, go ahead, but I would be more than glad to bet money (yeah I am serious) that CSU will not cover the spread of 17.5. Source http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

From Page 2. I want this to happen.

TheKingpin28
August 18th, 2016, 06:57 PM
I'm still waiting for you to take my bet. Please do it so you can understand why teams who underestimate The Dome the first time around fare horribly in OOC. If you do not want to take it then back down from your comments. Put your money where your mouth is.

From Page 7.

I am willing to let him set the $ amount just has to be willing to do it

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Sure. In '82 or '83, CSU was known as Baptist College and was sponsored then as it is now by the SC Baptist Convention. The convention had appropriated funding to the school to build academic buildings at the same time that the school was raising money on its own to finish Lightsey Chapel. Lightsey had been under construction for several years at that point and was way over budget. Fundraising for that project had stalled so the school president took the money allocated by the SCBC for academics and used it complete Lightsey. This included adding a steeple which had not allegedly been in the original plans but, to roughly quote him at the time, "people can see the steeple from the interstate and they'll know there's something Christian here". The irony of that statement was you really couldn't see the steeple from I-26. You couldn't then and you can't now. The SCBC was justifiably upset about this and, for a period, froze funding to the school entirely. It was quite a tempest in the Baptist teapot for a year or so and the president was nearly forced out both due to going against the convention's wishes as well as nearly bankrupting the school due to the massive debt incurred by Lightsey's construction. He survived it but ended up resigning a year or so later right around the time that construction on the chapel was completed.

The name change was more of a regional/alumni controversy. Baptist College had been Baptist College for 25 years but changed the name when they achieved university status in 1991. Rather than simply change it to "Baptist University" as I suppose was expected. They changed it to the current name, "Charleston Southern University" in order to broaden their appeal to potential students, affiliate themselves with the city of Charleston (16 miles away to the southwest) and make it more of a regional institution as opposed to a niche denominational school. Everybody hated the change and I mean everybody. The Baptist College alumni was a small group but were very vocal and felt the school was betraying its roots and beliefs; the College of Charleston was not happy about it because of the similarity in names; The Citadel hated it because the "Southern" aspect appropriated part of the name of Georgia Southern -- the Citadel and GSU had a little bit of a budding rivalry at the time -- ; the citizens of Charleston proper weren't happy because they felt CSU was appropriating the name of a city that it's not located in; and the citizens of North Charleston were unhappy because CSU had NOT appropriated the name of the city that it actually is located in (yes, some really thought CSU should have gone with North Charleston Southern University). It wasn't a big deal outside of the tri-county area but the name change earned CSU a lot of bad blood from the locals for a while, even from those who had never heard of the place.

I bring those up in relation to the NDSU game because CSU, historically, has a habit of over-reaching for the sake of notoriety or social buzz, as if there were some sort of magic bullet that would grant institutional respect or credibility. This is what led them to support and promote in every way possible, including with their investments, an economics professor who ran around in a purple jump suit and called himself Economan. You obviously know how that story ended. The point I'm getting at is that NDSU has built their respect over time and time is not something that can be bought, won, or lucked into.

Great informative post!!!!

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 18th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I was trying to coax some of them out.

Thumper 76
August 18th, 2016, 08:26 PM
From Page 7.

I am willing to let him set the $ amount just has to be willing to do it

I'd bet a case of beer on it if it makes you feel better. And I don't remember what the bet is cause I'm too lazy to go back and look.

CSU18
August 18th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Not too worried about the NDSU fans. If we had just gone 5 straight I'd be full of myself too.

CappinHard
August 19th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Not too worried about the NDSU fans. If we had just gone 5 straight I'd be full of myself too.

They may be full of themselves, but seriously, CSU is going to lose by 30. Not even a question. I'll have plenty of money on it, and it will be an easy win.

dewey
August 19th, 2016, 12:16 AM
They may be full of themselves, but seriously, CSU is going to lose by 30. Not even a question. I'll have plenty of money on it, and it will be an easy win.

Looks like from another thread the point spread is 17.5. I still think NDSU wins by more than that.

I found out tonight that I have tickets to take my 3 boys and my wife to banner raising/season opener in 9 days...happy day for me.

Dewey

BisonTru
August 19th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Looks like from another thread the point spread is 17.5. I still think NDSU wins by more than that.

I found out tonight that I have tickets to take my 3 boys and my wife to banner raising/season opener in 9 days...happy day for me.

Dewey

Massey has it at -21.5. I think that's reasonable.

TheKingpin28
August 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM
I'd bet a case of beer on it if it makes you feel better. And I don't remember what the bet is cause I'm too lazy to go back and look.

I want it to be with CSU18 but if I have to settle I will. I want it to be with him since he is extremely confident that his team will finally break that tradition of not being beaten badly on their first trip of an OOC game. If he will not take it, you down for the original line of 17.5?

Thumper 76
August 19th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I want it to be with CSU18 but if I have to settle I will. I want it to be with him since he is extremely confident that his team will finally break that tradition of not being beaten badly on their first trip of an OOC game. If he will not take it, you down for the original line of 17.5?

Sure why not.

TheKingpin28
August 19th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Sure why not.

Well alright then. Good news is we both live in Fargo so that will be an easy transportation. I live about 1.5-2 blocks from the dome so you have an idea where to drop it off. xdrunkyx :D

Thumper 76
August 19th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Well alright then. Good news is we both live in Fargo so that will be an easy transportation. I live about 1.5-2 blocks from the dome so you have an idea where to drop it off. xdrunkyx :D

That's why I figured it would be worth it, easy distance to settle up. xlolx

TheKingpin28
August 19th, 2016, 10:11 AM
That's why I figured it would be worth it, easy distance to settle up. xlolx

Yeah I just moved back into my house of 2 years yesterday and it felt weird to move from the Twin Cities back to Fargo. I missed it too much.

CSU18
August 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM

I love it. I went to CSU - remember, gambling is a sin 😄. But honestly I like the 17.5 point line. Think the hook saves CSU.

TheKingpin28
August 19th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I love it. I went to CSU - remember, gambling is a sin . But honestly I like the 17.5 point line. Think the hook saves CSU.

So you want to take the line of 17.5? If so, tell me what you want to go for? Cost of a case of beer as well?

CSU18
August 19th, 2016, 12:47 PM
So you want to take the line of 17.5? If so, tell me what you want to go for? Cost of a case of beer as well?

I'm good. Gambled on CSU three times last year and lost - all three times as the favorite, but I swore I wouldn't take another bet with my team. Heart gets in the way too much.

mango433
August 19th, 2016, 01:15 PM

SDSU has multiple wins against NDSU since they moved up, including three straight from 2007-2009. But if it's since they have been playoff eligible, then only 1 in 2009, the last time SDSU beat them. Also, only one has come in Fargo, the first time SDSU won there since the 60s.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 20th, 2016, 06:37 AM
SDSU has multiple wins against NDSU since they moved up, including three straight from 2007-2009. But if it's since they have been playoff eligible, then only 1 in 2009, the last time SDSU beat them. Also, only one has come in Fargo, the first time SDSU won there since the 60s.

8 game winning streak for the Bison as of now.....must make the Jack faithful a little restless......xnodxxthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 20th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Just listened to a replay of Coach K on Bison1660 from yesterday. He says CSU's 3-3-5 defense will make some plays but the Bison will run the ball.

A lot of "coach speak" by coach K. CSU's offense reminds him of SHSU's from a few years ago and GSU's from a few years ago.

I just don't see CSU's defense stopping the Bison on offense and being a heavy run oriented team does not bode well for CSU.

IMO, this game could easily be a rout.

Bisonwinagn
August 21st, 2016, 01:00 AM
Just listened to a replay of Coach K on Bison1660 from yesterday. He says CSU's 3-3-5 defense will make some plays but the Bison will run the ball.

A lot of "coach speak" by coach K. CSU's offense reminds him of SHSU's from a few years ago and GSU's from a few years ago.

I just don't see CSU's defense stopping the Bison on offense and being a heavy run oriented team does not bode well for CSU.

IMO, this game could easily be a rout.

I think NDSU's defense will dominate, but not sure about the offense. It could be a low scoring game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 21st, 2016, 07:17 AM
I think NDSU's defense will dominate, but not sure about the offense. It could be a low scoring game.

I highly doubt it but if you go by what the Fargo Fishwrap says, CSU's triple option is scary as heck and it might be GSU all over again.

Stop the dive for CSU and they are in trouble. The Bison defense is fast enough to contain the edge with that option. All 3 LBs can run for NDSU.

dewey
August 21st, 2016, 10:39 AM
I highly doubt it but if you go by what the Fargo Fishwrap says, CSU's triple option is scary as heck and it might be GSU all over again.

Stop the dive for CSU and they are in trouble. The Bison defense is fast enough to contain the edge with that option. All 3 LBs can run for NDSU.

Agreed. The key for CSU running the triple option is to have a quick, elusive quarterback running the show like Jerrick McKinnon did for GSU in 2012. He was the reason they were so much better in 2012 than 2011.

I doubt CSU'S 3-3-5 will be able to match up to NDSU with 2 TE'S, 2 FB'S and a RB. For CSU to have a chance they had better force turnovers, hit some homer passes and make some big plays in the return game.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM
Agreed. The key for CSU running the triple option is to have a quick, elusive quarterback running the show like Jerrick McKinnon did for GSU in 2012. He was the reason they were so much better in 2012 than 2011.

I doubt CSU'S 3-3-5 will be able to match up to NDSU with 2 TE'S, 2 FB'S and a RB. For CSU to have a chance they had better force turnovers, hit some homer passes and make some big plays in the return game.

Dewey

Watching some of their games last year, they did a lot of blitzing when teams were in a run look on first down and I suspect they will do that to the Bison to try and get them in 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

CSU's defense is quick but they will get beat on in the 2nd half.

NDSU's defense is too good to have this form of option be successful for the whole game. Stop the dive and this team is history.

dewey
August 21st, 2016, 03:32 PM
Looks like we are wearing yellow next.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM
I can't believe there's football this week! Unfortunately, I'll be traveling during the game...

IBleedYellow
August 21st, 2016, 04:17 PM
Looks like we are wearing yellow next.

Dewey
This isn't much of a surprise.

HELL YES IT IS GAME WEEK!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
August 21st, 2016, 05:22 PM
Even though just NDSU is playing this Saturday, man is it going to be good to have football back!

Bisonwinagn
August 21st, 2016, 10:11 PM
Even though just NDSU is playing this Saturday, man is it going to be good to have football back!

Yes but other games start Thursday so only 5 days to wait for more good games.

The Yo Show
August 21st, 2016, 11:31 PM
Oh I know! Its 10 days away for a good number of other games including my team xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2016, 06:03 AM
This week is going to crawl by.....xsmhx

This game is going to have an awesome atmosphere!!!

GO BISON

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2016, 07:36 AM
Can't wait for gameday, can wait for the quarter to start... 1 more month xdrunkyx

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2016, 07:39 AM
I find it super weird that PAC football starts way before the school year starts. Anyone else feel weird about that?

UCLA has its 4th game two days after classes start on Sept 22nd.

Looks like UCB (Berkeley) starts like a month before UCLA and UCSD. So I guess that one isn't weird.

Last year UCLA played Virginia and BYU at home before school even started.

Bison56
August 22nd, 2016, 08:45 AM
I tinkle a little every time I think about the game Saturday.xhypedx

clenz
August 22nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
I find it super weird that PAC football starts way before the school year starts. Anyone else feel weird about that?

Looks like UCB (Berkeley) starts like a month before UCLA and UCSD. So I guess that one isn't weird.

Last year UCLA played Virginia and BYU at home before school even started.
Nope. Want to know why no one else feels weird about that? We all start school at a normal date.

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Nope. Want to know why no one else feels weird about that? We all start school at a normal date.

lol touche

kdinva
August 22nd, 2016, 09:32 AM

UCLA obviously is on the Quarter schedule, not Semester.......

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
UCLA obviously is on the Quarter schedule, not Semester.......

Indeed they are, it creates weird home games before school starts.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 22nd, 2016, 05:10 PM
NDSU game notes......

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/gobison.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/8/22/20160822_NDSU_Football_Notes_vs_Charleston_Souther n.pdf?id=1871

dewey
August 22nd, 2016, 10:16 PM
NDSU starting center Austin Kuhnert is ineligible for the first two games.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4099372-bison-changed-practice-routine-after-sluggish-opener-last-year-montana

One seasoned player who won't play on Saturday night at Gate City Bank Field at the Fargodome is center Austin Kuhnert, who will serve a two-game NCAA academic suspension. Klieman said Kuhnert faced the possibility of being ineligible for the entire season, but got his classwork done to limit his absence to the Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington games.

"He didn't fulfill requirements in the classroom," Klieman said. "He did everything we asked of him to regain his eligibility back. Once we get through the two games, we're behind Austin 100 percent. He made mistakes academically and he's paying the penalty."

Dewey

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Here is a good video from the Bison Media Blog about the NDSU vs Charleston Southern matchup.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-video-blog-season-opener-preview/

Dewey

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2016, 07:48 AM
NDSU game notes......

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/gobison.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/8/22/20160822_NDSU_Football_Notes_vs_Charleston_Souther n.pdf?id=1871

The key stats I see from last year are the kick returns, which should be as good with Bruce, and punting, which will be a challenge to replace Lecompte.

CSU18
August 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Never really listened to Dom Izzo much, but after watching that short clip of him, he seems to be a pretty classy guy with great understanding of FCS football. Love the fact that he's definitely for the Bison, but gives an unbiased opinion.

Professor Chaos
August 23rd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Never really listened to Dom Izzo much, but after watching that short clip of him, he seems to be a pretty classy guy with great understanding of FCS football. Love the fact that he's definitely for the Bison, but gives an unbiased opinion.
He is a fantastic at following the NDSU and FCS beat. Unfortunately (long story) his employer is a jackhole. As weird as it sounds I wouldn't mind seeing him catch on elsewhere, perhaps nationally but still on the FCS beat.

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 12:57 PM

Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack ae the best in the FCS. They do a great job with publishing their weekly top 25 polls, bracket projections and anything else in the FCS that is newsworthy. They also are the BEST at covering NDSU athletics. From pregame shows, post game shows and weekly opponent previews.

Dewey

Matt
August 23rd, 2016, 02:16 PM

All of this (essentially) is what i thought (hoped) going into the 2015 semis. We had shut down W&M and Kendall Anderson in back-to-back games and kicked the crap out of ill st while shutting down coprich. And we got murdered in fargo. You guys don't know what you're walking into. you can't.

Matt
August 23rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
All of this (essentially) is what i thought (hoped) going into the 2015 semis. We had shut down W&M and Kendall Anderson in back-to-back games and kicked the crap out of ill st while shutting down coprich. And we got murdered in fargo. You guys don't know what you're walking into. you can't.

And, respectfully, we are a lot better than CSU

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
And, respectfully, we are a lot better than CSU

Watching both teams last year, I agree. Richmond is way more balanced compared to CSU.

We'll see what kind of team CSU brings to the FargoDome on Saturday. NDSU's starting center is now suspended for 2 games for academic reasons and a sophomore is starting in his place. Lucky for him he has 2 outstanding guards on both sides.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this CSU defense in person. They were good against a weak conference but got totally lambasted by Jacksonville State in the semis to the tune of 500 yards rushing and 600 total yards. If CSU consistently runs that 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 on defense, this game will be a rout.

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2016, 08:13 PM
Watching both teams last year, I agree. Richmond is way more balanced compared to CSU.

We'll see what kind of team CSU brings to the FargoDome on Saturday. NDSU's starting center is now suspended for 2 games for academic reasons and a sophomore is starting in his place. Lucky for him he has 2 outstanding guards on both sides.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this CSU defense in person. They were good against a weak conference but got totally lambasted by Jacksonville State in the semis to the tune of 500 yards rushing and 600 total yards. If CSU consistently runs that 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 on defense, this game will be a rout.

Losing a center against a team that uses a lot of blitzing and stunts could be very problematic. It's almost like losing a MLB for your defense. I still think NDSU wins by a bunch, but it could cause some hiccups on offense.

Thundar
August 23rd, 2016, 08:21 PM
Slow start, but NDSU blows it open mid Second. Like every other first time Eastern school that comes here they get totally shook up by the crowd, physicality etc.., Menard and Deluca have stud days on D and I think Bruce Anderson will get many of yards

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 08:28 PM
Losing a center against a team that uses a lot of blitzing and stunts could be very problematic. It's almost like losing a MLB for your defense. I still think NDSU wins by a bunch, but it could cause some hiccups on offense.

Could be. The 2nd string center has had an outstanding fall camp I guess. That is why I mentioned the 2 guards. One is 6-4 and 331 and the other is 6-7 and 321...nice to have some "athletic beef" beside him!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Slow start, but NDSU blows it open mid Second. Like every other first time Eastern school that comes here they get totally shook up by the crowd, physicality etc.., Menard and Deluca have stud days on D and I think Bruce Anderson will get many of yards

I agree. Menard will disrupt that option trying to get to the edge and the LBs will clean up.

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2016, 08:33 PM
Could be. The 2nd string center has had an outstanding fall camp I guess. That is why I mentioned the 2 guards. One is 6-4 and 331 and the other is 6-7 and 321...nice to have some "athletic beef" beside him!!

I'm more interested in all the calls a center makes and him not getting flustered with his snaps by a really quick player. I have no doubt he's a good player, and he's got plenty of warning that it's gonna happen. It's definitely the only factor I see going in CSU's favor.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 08:35 PM
I'm more interested in all the calls a center makes and him not getting flustered with his snaps by a really quick player. I have no doubt he's a good player, and he's got plenty of warning that it's gonna happen. It's definitely the only factor I see going in CSU's favor.

That is a good point. Both guards are 5th year seniors......I'm sure they will help him out with whatever calls need to be made.

Bisonator
August 23rd, 2016, 08:48 PM

We'll be fine, Tanner is a stud.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2016, 08:56 PM
Have classes started at NDSU? Thus will all the students be back?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 08:59 PM

Yep. Student section will be full, including my kid!

Drblankstare
August 23rd, 2016, 09:06 PM
If CSU wants to be in this, their going to have to find a way to pass the ball halfway decent. One dimensional offensive teams don't beat the Bison.

On the flip side, I'll be curious to see how much NDSU has Stick throwing the ball. Do they open things up for him right away or do they go cautious.

IBleedYellow
August 23rd, 2016, 09:08 PM

Students sold their allotment out in less than an hour this morning.

BisonFan02
August 23rd, 2016, 09:11 PM

Slow computers...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2016, 09:14 PM

Damn! That's impressive! It's going to be a great atmosphere Saturday evening!

IBleedYellow
August 23rd, 2016, 09:17 PM
Slow computers...

Yeah, I'm sure they crashed the servers, causing it to take longer than 10 minutes...

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 09:39 PM
Damn! That's impressive! It's going to be a great atmosphere Saturday evening!

Too bad the tailgating lots don't open until about 1 pm. Stupid that they only open about 5 hours before the game starts. No there will be people partying it up along the city streets waiting for the lots to open.

I am SUPER excited for the game! I am going to get a photo of my family with the big championship banner in the background.

Dewey

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 09:47 PM

As I said about playing with a cat

Cats aren't too bad to play with at first. Sense of security sets in. Think the stories about the cats biting and clawing are over stated. Then the switch flips and next thing you know it's just blood and confusion hoping the car is done

That's exactly like playing at NDSU.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 24th, 2016, 08:33 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-video-blog-season-opener-preview/

August 24th, 2016, 09:47 PM
I knew it I just knew it! I should not have come here to read this stuff. Now I am so fired up I will not be able to sleep the next 2 nights. Which means I will be so tired by game time I will fall asleep at kick off..........

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Just had Thunderstruck blasting while working out.....xhypedx

Man, what a long week!

Saturday cannot get here soon enough!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8YP7mtNss

Kick some ASS Bison!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Another great pre-game song.....best AC/DC song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOUsxR7NWs

xthumbsupx

Lehigh'98
August 26th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Another great pre-game song.....best AC/DC song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOUsxR7NWs

xthumbsupx

You shook me all night long. No contest

Drblankstare
August 26th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Like most here I dont think the Bucs are going to be able to hang, though I believe the 1st half will be closer than some think. It wouldn't shock me to see the Bison offense start out slow.

Bison 34 Bucs 17

Now onto the important stuff. What's everybody making for tailgating/game watching pleasure?

Im going with Hunter's sausage and Sauerkraut in the crockpot also making a batch of cheeseburger soup.

Cheers to football being back xbeerchugx

Bison56
August 26th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Like most here I dont think the Bucs are going to be able to hang, though I believe the 1st half will be closer than some think. It wouldn't shock me to see the Bison offense start out slow.

Bison 34 Bucs 17

Now onto the important stuff. What's everybody making for tailgating/game watching pleasure?

Im going with Hunter's sausage and Sauerkraut in the crockpot also making a batch of cheeseburger soup.

Cheers to football being back xbeerchugx

Would love to know how you make that, or is it a old secret family recipe?

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2016, 09:16 AM
CSU is really, really in trouble now. Dom just stated that NDSU's front seven is as good as any front seven in college football. FCS or FBS. As good as Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan State....anybody.

Bison56
August 26th, 2016, 09:25 AM
CSU is really, really in trouble now. Dom just stated that NDSU's front seven is as good as any front seven in college football. FCS or FBS. As good as Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan State....anybody.

And?

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2016, 09:28 AM
And?

Your fanbase is so salty, geez. Ridiculous. I used to think they were better than that but not anymore. Straight sodium.

AmsterBison
August 26th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Your fanbase is so salty, geez. Ridiculous. I used to think they were better than that but not anymore. Straight sodium.

And?

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2016, 09:48 AM
And?

GEEEEZZZ! Sorry.

POD Knows
August 26th, 2016, 09:53 AM
GEEEEZZZ! Sorry.

Apology accepted, don't let it happen again xlolx

Bison56
August 26th, 2016, 09:56 AM
That's
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23372&stc=1
to you.

Drblankstare
August 26th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Would love to know how you make that, or is it a old secret family recipe?

Nope not a family secret. It's a tailgating buddies' mom's recipe i got a few years back.

4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 cups chicken broth
1 pound lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk ( I use 2%)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (16 oz.) package Velveeta processed cheese, cubed OR 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Place potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, dried basil and parsley in a large crock pot. Pour chicken broth over vegetables. Cover with lid. Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours OR on high heat 4 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
About 45 minutes before serving, cook and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain any grease. Pour cooked ground beef into crock pot. Carefully wipe out hot skillet with a paper towel then add butter. When butter is melted whisk in flour and cook until golden brown and bubbly (about 1 minute.) Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the crock pot and stir to combine everything.
Add the cubed velveeta cheese or shredded cheese to crock pot. Stir again. Cover with lid and cook another 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I also throw in a couple tsb of ground mustard to get a little more flavor.

Bison56
August 26th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Nope not a family secret. It's a tailgating buddies' mom's recipe i got a few years back.

1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 cups chicken broth
1 pound lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups milk ( I use 2%)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (16 oz.) package Velveeta processed cheese, cubed OR 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Place potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, dried basil and parsley in a large crock pot. Pour chicken broth over vegetables. Cover with lid. Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours OR on high heat 4 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
About 45 minutes before serving, cook and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain any grease. Pour cooked ground beef into crock pot. Carefully wipe out hot skillet with a paper towel then add butter. When butter is melted whisk in flour and cook until golden brown and bubbly (about 1 minute.) Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the crock pot and stir to combine everything.
Add the cubed velveeta cheese or shredded cheese to crock pot. Stir again. Cover with lid and cook another 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Thank you

The Yo Show
August 26th, 2016, 11:32 AM

1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 cups chicken broth
1 pound lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups milk ( I use 2%)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Indeed, I second Bison56 with another thank you! I am definitely going to make this. It sounds amazing.

MarkCCU
August 26th, 2016, 11:42 AM

1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 cups chicken broth
1 pound lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups milk ( I use 2%)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Sounds good. However... chicken broth, while unnecessary because you can't taste any chicken unless you drink it, is an interesting choice for something with beef in it. The other seasonings and flavors mask any chicken flavor. You're better off using vegetable broth.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 26th, 2016, 11:57 AM
So if Chuck South wins this game, what will the NDSU excuses be? They cant use smoke, they used that last year............

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2016, 12:09 PM
So if Chuck South wins this game, what will the NDSU excuses be? They cant use smoke, they used that last year............

They beat us? Good for them?

What excuses did I tell you to your face last year? :P

Schism55
August 26th, 2016, 12:10 PM
And how did last year end for the Griz and the Bison?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 26th, 2016, 12:50 PM

Im trying to ***** with some folks here............help a brotha out and quit being such a millennial

Bisonator
August 26th, 2016, 02:07 PM

The new video boards had us mesmerized. Overslept. Past our bedtime. Too much tailgating. The possibilities are endless.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 26th, 2016, 02:48 PM

http://almostthere.net/images1/Jasons_night_hook.jpg

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 04:03 PM
http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/from-walk-ons-to-all-americans-north-dakota-state-and-charleston-southern-make-it-happen-fcs?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Photo&utm_campaign=FCSFootball

At North Dakota State (http://herosports.com/colleges/teams/north-dakota-state-mens-football), Charleston Southern (http://herosports.com/colleges/teams/charleston-southern-mens-football), and many FCS (http://herosports.com/colleges/sports/fcs-mens-football) programs, the walk-ons are none-of-the-above. In many cases, these are players who had lower-division scholarship offers and chose the walk-on route because they wanted to play Division I football at a good school with a good football program. The coaching staffs make it clear--if you come in here, do what you're told and buy into the program, you'll get your shot to prove yourself. And if you prove yourself? You'll earn that scholarship.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160826123944598061504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2016, 05:11 PM

You could have just listened to me when I picked Montana to win in the tailgating lot before the game. :D

Katfan
August 26th, 2016, 07:00 PM
At best close at half time,but then they wear you down. Can't wait to watch. Good luck to both times!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 07:23 PM

If CSU wins they will have earned it tomorrow.

thebootfitter
August 26th, 2016, 07:25 PM
You could have just listened to me when I picked Montana to win in the tailgating lot before the game. :D
I think I remember you saying that. It was a forgotten memory until now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 07:27 PM
You shook me all night long. No contest

Here's to you '98: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuoXkMZD5Q&list=RDxuoXkMZvD5Q#t=2

xthumbsupxxnodx

xhypedx

maybe this will work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6iOVXOBULI

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 07:35 PM

xrolleyesx

xcrazyx

Thundar
August 26th, 2016, 07:46 PM
If CSU wins they will have earned it tomorrow.

and bisonville wont have any members left

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 07:52 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/20160826/160829494/sapakoff-far-from-home-the-csu-bucs-deserve-the-fargo-spotlight

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 26th, 2016, 07:54 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/secretly-we-all-hate-north-dakota-state/

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 07:57 PM
and bisonville wont have any members left

Bisonville meltdown.

xlolx

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Bisonville meltdown.

xlolx

Always one of my favorite times of year. Hasn't been a really good one for a while now though. I mean like a REALLY good one.

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2016, 08:22 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/2753015_o.gif

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2016, 11:20 PM
ESPN promo looked cool as hell! I'll be traveling out to Toledo, OH during the game so I won't see anything live. :( But, I'll watch the replay on ESPN3....xthumbsupx

dewey
August 27th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Woooooo hoooooo! It is GAMEDAY!

Go Bison!

Dewey

Twentysix
August 27th, 2016, 02:08 AM
ESPN promo looked cool as hell! I'll be traveling out to Toledo, OH during the game so I won't see anything live. :( But, I'll watch the replay on ESPN3....xthumbsupx

Anyway to see it online?

Grizalltheway
August 27th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Always one of my favorite times of year. Hasn't been a really good one for a while now though. I mean like a REALLY good one.

Wasn't on there after the kickoff game last year, but I have to think it was at least worth a read.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 27th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Woooooo hoooooo! It is GAMEDAY!

Go Bison!

Dewey

I could hardly sleep last night.

The road to 6 in a row starts today!!!

GO
BISON

Bison: 38-9

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 27th, 2016, 06:36 AM
GO BISON!!!

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2016, 06:59 AM
you guys are like the ancient Romans walking into the coliseum before the open the Lion cage ..... all excited about a slaughter haha

Gil Dobie
August 27th, 2016, 07:05 AM
All packed and ready to travel to Fargo. It's Gameday Pukes.

344Johnson
August 27th, 2016, 07:24 AM
NDSU 41
Chuck South 17

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 27th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I had some Casey's Bacon breakfast pizza this morning. I'm ready for the game now.

IBleedYellow
August 27th, 2016, 09:19 AM
HOLY **** WE BACK BOYS!!!

DAMN IT'S GOOD TO BE A BISON!!!!!!!!!!

Thumper 76
August 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I had some Casey's Bacon breakfast pizza this morning. I'm ready for the game now.

Fan PED's. You're going to need to submit to a random za test.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Who has the farthest single day drive? There were Montana State fans that would drive 6 hours one away to home games! Insane xdrunkyx

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Fan PED's. You're going to need to submit to a random za test.

I have never knowingly taken any breakfast pizza

SU DOG
August 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM
But CSU does have a nice hype video:

http://footballscoop.com/news/heres-video-charleston-southern-showed-players-taking-north-dakota-state/

Daytripper
August 27th, 2016, 12:05 PM
A true test to see how far Chuck South has come. I really hope to see a competitive game and CSU stay with the Bison. But.....NDSU 48 CSU 20

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2016, 12:14 PM
didn't ChaSo have one of the top ranked Defenses in FCS last year, until Jacksonville State came calling?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 27th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Yeah maybe but east coast defense doesnt do very well against the Northern toughness of teams out West.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Let the caribou Lou commence. I'll be tailgating shortly so if any of you see a mid 20s guy with a red Sox hat and about 5 10, that is me. Say hi and I'd be more than glad to shoot the breeze with you.

Lehigh'98
August 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Yeah maybe but east coast defense doesnt do very well against the Northern toughness of teams out West.

They have that southern speed though..

Katfan
August 27th, 2016, 02:59 PM
They have that southern speed though..
Southern speed isn't worth much when you get knocked on your butt

IBleedYellow
August 27th, 2016, 04:31 PM
BF02 IS IN THE HOUSE!

Someone save me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Drblankstare
August 27th, 2016, 04:48 PM
1st NDSU tailgate for my in laws, they were impressed. Very relieved.

Gangtackle11
August 27th, 2016, 05:28 PM

I'll say it again. It's 1 school from Fargo that has any claim to this Northern toughness out west. As for Montana see Matt Szczur. That said I'm excited for the season. GL to both teams.

BisonFan02
August 27th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Whoa video boards.... xlolx

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I'll say it again. It's 1 school from Fargo that has any claim to this Northern toughness out west. As for Montana see Matt Szczur. That said I'm excited for the season. GL to both teams.

this right here..... tough out West? I don't think so ..... it all starts and stops with the Bison

Lehigh'98
August 27th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Cue the MVFC posters with OOC records in 3.2.1....

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Man....ignorance of what they are walking into truly is bliss

speaking of arrogant... man you really whiffed it up here

CSU18
August 29th, 2016, 08:31 AM
speaking of arrogant... man you really whiffed it up here

I've been biting my tongue since the final buzzer on exactly what you posted - I'm a true believer in karma so I find it best to keep quiet🤐. In NDSU fans defense, they didn't know much about CSU and the way they play, only that we play in a weak conference with a historically weak OCC schedule - all of which is true.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2016, 08:42 AM
If I were NDSU I would stop playing in that kickoff game. Hasn't exactly worked out great for them the last two years.

Bizon9
August 29th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Why wouldn't they have been impressed? One of the best tailgates in the nation.

Gil Dobie
August 29th, 2016, 09:08 AM
If I were NDSU I would stop playing in that kickoff game. Hasn't exactly worked out great for them the last two years.

Been a couple of great games to watch.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 10:08 AM
this right here..... tough out West? I don't think so ..... it all starts and stops with the Bison
That's funny AND cute

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
August 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Cue the MVFC posters with OOC records in 3.2.1....

Well is it wrong? Honestly. Make a statement like that in spite of the facts I guess.

AmsterBison
August 29th, 2016, 11:43 AM

Dunno about that - it's been working out pretty well so far.

Grizalltheway
August 29th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Yep, he was a great player...but I guess you've forgotten the time you went to Cheney the next year and were held to 250 total yards...

REALBird
August 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM

At least they learned where they're at, can't say playing Valparaiso in our home opener will tell us much about our team, nor will getting beat by NW in the second game of the season. If the game has value, it's competitive and your team learns from it, then I see it as a win/win.

F'N Hawks
August 29th, 2016, 11:59 AM
NDSU/CSU Game drew a overnight 0.4 rating.

Gangtackle11
August 29th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Yep, he was a great player...but I guess you've forgotten the time you went to Cheney the next year and were held to 250 total yards...

So true. That's 50-50 for great defenses out west & outside of Fargo vs Villanova. Not exactly worthy of puffing any chests out about west defensive dominance which is what I replied about originally.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2016, 06:09 PM
No you didnt reply about defensive dominance

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2016, 07:15 PM

where are your in-laws from, if I may be so bold?

and congrats on the getting married xpeacex

POD Knows
August 29th, 2016, 11:13 PM

Compared to what, we lose to Montana and we let some freaking team from nowhere almost beat us in our own building. **** that.

Twentysix
August 30th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Compared to what, we lose to Montana and we let some freaking team from nowhere almost beat us in our own building. **** that.

Well we won the national championship last year, so its working in that way....xeyebrowx

dewey
August 30th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Well we won the national championship last year, so its working in that way....xeyebrowx

Agreed. I would rather have the team challenged in the OOC and then have 2 weeks to work on issues so when it comes to the EWU game the coaches and players will have a lot of the kinks worked out. The OOC schedule is tough this year as there rely isn't a cupcake to get the backups in against and build depth but you don't really learn what the teams issues are either.

It is weird to say that EWU appears to be our weakest OOC opponent yet they are still top 20.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 30th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Agreed. I would rather have the team challenged in the OOC and then have 2 weeks to work on issues so when it comes to the EWU game the coaches and players will have a lot of the kinks worked out. The OOC schedule is tough this year as there rely isn't a cupcake to get the backups in against and build depth but you don't really learn what the teams issues are either.

It is weird to say that EWU appears to be our weakest OOC opponent yet they are still top 20.

Dewey

History has proven over the last 6 years that EWU has a very good offensive scheme but where they are always lacking is on the defensive side. They gave up 450 total yards/game last year and 250 rushing/game. Maybe they can turn that around; the Washington State game will be interesting to watch. More than likely it will be a track meet.

CSU's defense was very good and the Bison still had 425 total yards. NDSU will have more than that with EWU.

Drblankstare
August 30th, 2016, 08:09 AM
where are your in-laws from, if I may be so bold?

and congrats on the getting married xpeacex

The in laws are from So Dak, I've been married 14 years, They don't get up North very often, I think their scared of Canadians. :D

POD Knows
August 30th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Yea that is a good point. Playing Iowa right before conference games start is a little interesting.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 30th, 2016, 09:02 AM
History has proven over the last 6 years that EWU has a very good offensive scheme but where they are always lacking is on the defensive side. They gave up 450 total yards/game last year and 250 rushing/game. Maybe they can turn that around; the Washington State game will be interesting to watch. More than likely it will be a track meet.

CSU's defense was very good and the Bison still had 425 total yards. NDSU will have more than that with EWU.

WSU will win by a minimum of 4 TDs

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2016, 09:16 PM
The in laws are from So Dak, I've been married 14 years, They don't get up North very often, I think their scared of Canadians. :D

14 years.... I was thinking you were some kind of rookie newly wed... haha

Gangtackle11
September 1st, 2016, 09:42 PM

Ah hummmmm......Stony Brook 13 North Dakota 9

dewey
September 1st, 2016, 10:29 PM

I am not sure why you have UNoD and toughness in the same post. This is not hockey.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2016, 07:56 AM

Toughness and UND do not go together.