PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1

Pages : [1] 2

carney2
August 16th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Week 1

Everyone is getting anxious so let’s start early. The first week features a mixture of cupcakes and potential blowouts. The two top contenders for League honors are looking to climb tall mountains, while one of the expected cellar dwellers may be playing the most important game on its 2016 schedule.

Friday, September 2nd:
LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
HOLY CROSS @ Morgan State
BUCKNELL @ Marist

GAME OF THE WEEK: LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut – A loss in this very winnable opener would give the Pards a solid shot at going 0-5 in a rugged OOC schedule. That would make the hole they dug for themselves last year even deeper. Is this a MUST win? You bet your ever lovin’ backside it is!

NOTE: This thread is double posted – at AGS (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?2-FCS-Discussion) and at the CSJ Message Board Patriot League Forum (http://forums.college-sports-journal.com/viewforum.php?f=39). Feel free to post at either or both - and to make different picks.

RichH2
August 16th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you :)

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I'll kick it off:

Easy picks:
Syracuse - Red Raiders play tough for 2-3 quarters, but not enough to beat the Orangemen
Holy Cross - Pujols lights them up!
Navy - Fordham has demonstrated relative dominance over the last few years in PL play; however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they've folded (exception was Temple). They'll put up points, but will get worn down by the Middies.
Bucknell - I know almost nothing about the Red Foxes, but the Bison play real-deal defense (you hear that Lehigh and Fordham!)

More Challenging:
G'Town - Theoretically, this should be a no-brainer for the Hoyas, but it won't be.
Lehigh - Lehigh has struggled in early season match-ups with NEC teams as of late and this one not likely to be different. Difference is that Lehigh's O is superior to the Beach Hawks.

Tough One:
Lafayette - I'm going with the Pards because they showed some improvement late last year and they couldn't possibly have a more plagued group this year than last, can they? If this was being played in Easton, it would be an easier pick. Pards (and frankly for the PL's sake) needs this one.

Right now, I'm rooting for all the PL squads - even the spotted cats.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2016, 11:00 AM
LUHawker,

Monmouth is now a full schollie Big South program.

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 11:04 AM
LUHawker,

Monmouth is now a full schollie Big South program.

I still think of them as NEC. Last I checked New Jersey isn't in the south; maybe its because they're in South Jersey. xsmiley_wix

Either way, Lehigh should pull this one out at home.

KillaBee
August 16th, 2016, 11:13 AM
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............. TIME TO WIN WIN WIN.... THE HIVE IS FLOURISHING, WITH VICTORY OOZING OUT INTO THE FUTURE... I AM IN THE FUTURE...TODAY!!!!

MY PREDICTIONS THIS 2016 PATRIOT LEAGUE FOOTBALL YEAR WILL BE AS ACCURATE AS EVER. IN THE PAST, A FEW CHICKEN HAWKS WHO HAD NO ACCREDITATION SEEMED TO CLUCK ABOUT MY IMPERFECT/PERFECT PREDICTIONS AN WE BOTH LANDED IN THE SAME SPACE.
THEREFORE THIS YEAR, I WILL FOCUS ON ACCURACY!!!! THANKS CARNEY

LAFAYETTE @ ccsu....... LAFAYETTE BY 30..... BET THE HOUSE!!!!!
COLGATE @ SYRACUSE SYRACUSE BY 7
FORDHAM @ NAVY NAVY BY 14
MONMOUTH @ LEHIGH MONMOUTH BY 7
DAVIDSON @ GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN BY 3
HOLY CROSS @ MORGAN STATE HOLY CROSS BY 14
BUCKNELL @ MARIST BUCKNELL BY 7

DOWN GOES THE BLUE DEVILS.. IN CLASSIC LEOPARD STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BET THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gater
August 16th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Very hard to argue with KillaBee, a man of many, many houses.

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I'll kick it off:

Navy - Fordham has demonstrated relative dominance over the last few years in PL play; however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they've folded (exception was Temple). They'll put up points, but will get worn down by the Middies.

xdontknowx??

We've been underdogs in the regular season a total of six times since 2013 and won three of them (Villanova, Temple and Army). Not sure where the allusion to our inability to knock off higher ranked opponents comes from but I'll take .500 as an underdog all day long. My guess is that it's from our playoff losses, which is fine, but I'd argue that everyone not named NDSU ends their playoff run with a loss if so. Also, I note that if the same ratio continues this year we will be 'dogs in 2 games, which means a split W/L between Navy & Colgate, which I'd sign up for in a heartbeat.

I'd be curious to know what Lehigh's record was in games where they were underdogs was over the same time frame? I took a glance and saw the one nice win v UNH but otherwise wasn't sure off the top of my head which teams Lehigh was an underdog to.

All that said, Navy is a VERY tall order for us in week 1. Much, much tougher than getting past Army imo and we are, and should be, significant underdogs.

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 11:36 AM
xdontknowx??

We've been underdogs in the regular season a total of six times since 2013 and won three of them (Villanova, Temple and Army). Not sure where the allusion to our inability to knock off higher ranked opponents comes from but I'll take .500 as an underdog all day long. My guess is that it's from our playoff losses, which is fine, but I'd argue that everyone not named NDSU ends their playoff run with a loss if so. Also, I note that if the same ratio continues this year we will be 'dogs in 2 games, which means a split W/L between Navy & Colgate, which I'd sign up for in a heartbeat.

I'd be curious to know what Lehigh's record was in games where they were underdogs was over the same time frame? I took a glance and saw the one nice win v UNH but otherwise wasn't sure off the top of my head which teams Lehigh was an underdog to.

All that said, Navy is a VERY tall order for us in week 1. Much, much tougher than getting past Army imo and we are, and should be, significant underdogs.

FU has been a playoff underperformer, which predominates in my mind. As noted, with exception of NDSU, everyone's playoff run ends - its just that Fordham's has ended too early and more with a whimper. Not sure the relevance of posing the Lehigh questions; its simply a statement about FU, not a comparative discussion. Fordham has done a nice job of building the program in the last few years, but as the banner carrier for the PL (in most of the last 4-5 yrs), it has underperformed IMO. Ok if you see it differently.

UNHWildcat18
August 16th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Week 1

Everyone is getting anxious so let’s start early. The first week features a mixture of cupcakes and potential blowouts. The two top contenders for League honors are looking to climb tall mountains, while one of the expected cellar dwellers may be playing the most important game on its 2016 schedule.

Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

GAME OF THE WEEK: LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut – A loss in this very winnable opener would give the Pards a solid shot at going 0-5 in a rugged OOC schedule. That would make the hole they dug for themselves last year even deeper. Is this a MUST win? You bet your ever lovin’ backside it is!

NOTE: This thread is double posted – at AGS (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?2-FCS-Discussion) and at the CSJ Message Board Patriot League Forum (http://forums.college-sports-journal.com/viewforum.php?f=39). Feel free to post at either or both - and to make different picks.

CCSU
Syracuse
Navy
MU
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Bucknell

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 12:22 PM
FU has been a playoff underperformer, which predominates in my mind. As noted, with exception of NDSU, everyone's playoff run ends - its just that Fordham's has ended too early and more with a whimper. Not sure the relevance of posing the Lehigh questions; its simply a statement about FU, not a comparative discussion. Fordham has done a nice job of building the program in the last few years, but as the banner carrier for the PL (in most of the last 4-5 yrs), it has underperformed IMO. Ok if you see it differently.
your line was "however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they folded" and that's completely false as we are 3 - 3 with those regular season wins v Villanova, Temple and Army and not just having the win over Temple that you noted. As the banner carrier for the PL, that's not just ok imo - that's exceeding expectations. The Lehigh comparison is because I think it's rare for a team to be .500 (or even .333) in games where they're the clear underdog. I could be wrong but I do think you'd find that Lehigh's record when playing up the past few seasons is much worse. Not a knock but trying to show you that .500 in the regular season isn't "average", similar to the way that hitting .500 in MLB isn't "average". I'd argue it's pretty rare.

If you want to shift now to make this line all about the playoffs then, that's fine and I agree that we'll agree to disagree. Getting to round two in 2 of the last 3 years and getting knocked out by Towson (finals), UNH (semis) and Chattanooga, does sting a bit given the lopsided results (especially against UNH & Chatty) but we definitely have not underperformed overall as the banner carrier over the past 3 seasons when it comes to playing up.

My picks btw:

Colgate
Lafayette
Navy
HC
Lehigh
Gtown
Bucknell

I think it's going to be a corner turning year for the PL

LeopardBall10
August 16th, 2016, 12:40 PM
An early start, I like it. Although with this group we all know the extra time will just be used toward the devolution of this thread into partially incoherent ramblings of PL coaches, expansion, and budgets. But until then, some picks...

Leopards - Huge game. You need confidence to win. You gain confidence by winning.

Syracuse - I won't be surprised if Gate plays with them, but they need to be able to run the ball to win, and I think Syracuse will just have better Jimmy's and Joe's up front.

Navy - By far the best of the academies. This will be a totally different task than Army

Lehigh - Monmouth has showed some growth as a program in recent seasons so this will not be a cupcake by any stretch. But Lehigh should compete for the league crown and should start with a win here.

GTown - They need this win to be taken seriously this season. A lot of question marks.

HC - In Puljos They Trust

Bucknell - Let's see if Bucknell can put it together this year.

carney2
August 16th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Friday, September 2nd:
LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut - With some minor detours, Lafayette has been busy digging a huge hole since the late season collapse in 2009. The unthinkable - a loss to CCSU - would mean that they are still digging and have broken through rock bottom.

COLGATE @ Syracuse - Nolo contendere.

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy - See Colgate @ Syracuse above.

Monmouth @ LEHIGH - A loss here would not speak well for the remainder of the Squawks' 2016 season.

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN - Davidson may be THE worst FCS team in the country.

HOLY CROSS @ Morgan State - Expecting a Pujals statement and an unmitigated blowout.

BUCKNELL @ Marist - A look-see at Buckie's offense - do they have one? The defense should get some rest in this one.

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Getting to round two in 2 of the last 3 years and getting knocked out by Towson (finals), UNH (semis) and Chattanooga, does sting a bit given the lopsided results (especially against UNH & Chatty) but we definitely have not underperformed overall as the banner carrier over the past 3 seasons when it comes to playing up.

FU has never gotten past the round of 16, so citing getting to round 2 in last 3 years is underwhelming. FU's recent playoff wins were both against Sacred Heart followed by blow-outs against Towson, UNH and Chatty; this feels like underwhelming to me. I'd characterize that as underperforming.

Perhaps implicit in my commentary is that Fordham was a very strong program relative to its PL competition and in large part stems from its head start in the scholly game (thank you BTW), but wasn't as strong relative to the rest of the existing scholly FCS.

I doubt we're going to bridge our perception gap here - I suspect the it comes from our respective starting points.

eiu1999
August 16th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
DAVIDSON @ GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN BY 3

So, let me get this straight: a home opener against Davidson, arguably the lowest ranked team in the subdivision, a school which has not defeated a Division I school out of conference in 11 years, and Georgetown wins by three? (Care to pick that Georgetown game at Fordham?)

RichH2
August 16th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Off we go :)
Pards- CCSU.
Should be easy W for Pards. May not be.
Syracuse- Gate
Gate has balance and talent on both sides of the ball to make it a game but not enough for a W. Key is to emerge healthy particularly at QB.
Navy -Fordham Rams have the talent to score points but not the D to stop Navy time consuming drives. Navy
LU- Monmouth
More of a test than I want for an opener this year. O should carry the day as D grows up.
Hoyas-Davidson
Hoyas breaking in a lot of new skills players on O but should beat an outmanned Davidson easily.
Cross- Morgan St
A tune up for Crusaders. Easy W.
Bucknell- Marist
A cupcake for Bison. Interested to see if Bison have an offense this year.
Now over to Patriot board to hedge my picks :)

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I doubt we're going to bridge our perception gap here - I suspect the it comes from our respective starting points.

it's actually easily bridged. Your 'respective starting point' was 100% factually incorrect when you wrote the following, where I'll take the step of underlining the incorrect 'starting point' for you. The rest of it is fine, including the opinion that the lopsided playoff losses carry a lot of weight in your opinion. I would not have responded if not for the original line being flat out wrong:

Navy - Fordham has demonstrated relative dominance over the last few years in PL play; however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they've folded (exception was Temple). .

Fordham 37 Army 35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVkY00kNio

Fordham 29 Temple 29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAUmUG78DQ

Fordham 27 Villanova 24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jba50MHyZI

More than anything, thanks for getting me to look back on those 3 highlights. All time great Fordham FCS wins!

smilo
August 16th, 2016, 02:35 PM
LAFAYETTE by 6
Syracuse by 17

Navy by 6
LEHIGH by 13
GEORGETOWN by 17
HOLY CROSS by 10
BUCKNELL by 20

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I think Colgate has more of a shot than they're being given here. Cuse has a new coach and system, Gate has the same system and almost everyone back. Tough system to play against imo. I'm definitely taking 'Gate in this one. Have they given a spread yet?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM
it's actually easily bridged. Your 'respective starting point' was 100% factually incorrect when you wrote the following, where I'll take the step of underlining the incorrect 'starting point' for you. The rest of it is fine, including the opinion that the lopsided playoff losses carry a lot of weight in your opinion. I would not have responded if not for the original line being flat out wrong:

Fordham 37 Army 35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVkY00kNio

Fordham 29 Temple 29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAUmUG78DQ

Fordham 27 Villanova 24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jba50MHyZI

More than anything, thanks for getting me to look back on those 3 highlights. All time great Fordham FCS wins!

The Villanova win is a quality win. The other two were terrible FBS opponents. Likewise with Lehigh's and Colgate's wins over Buffalo in '02/'03 respectively. I'm pretty sure Army was sucked in '01 when HC beat them.

The league needs to pick-up where Colgate left off in the playoffs last year. Beating power conference teams in the playoffs will earn yourself and the league respect.

Fordham has had a nice run the last few years. But they haven't done anything we haven't seen before from the non-schollie PL. I still think their Eakin, Dudley and Watson teams were better.

GATA2016
August 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM
First round of picks

Lafayette over CCSU by 21

Navy over Fordham by 21

Syracuse over Colgate by 14

Lehigh over Monmouth by by 10

Georgetown over Davidson by 7

Holy Cross over Morgan State by 3

Bucknell over Marist by 17

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM
The Villanova win is a quality win. The other two were terrible FBS opponents. Likewise with Lehigh's and Colgate's wins over Buffalo in '02/'03 respectively. I'm pretty sure Army was sucked in '01 when HC beat them.

The league needs to pick-up where Colgate left off in the playoffs last year. Beating power conference teams in the playoffs will earn yourself and the league respect.

Fordham has had a nice run the last few years. But they haven't done anything we haven't seen before from the non-schollie PL. I still think their Eakin, Dudley and Watson teams were better.

?!?! You mention Temple as the exception to us folding but now took that back and replaced it with Villanova? It seemed clear that you originally just forgot about our two other big upsets in the past three years when you wrote that but now I guess I was mistaken and you are more so trying to make it sound as though those don't count in your measurement as "tougher foe"s? Is that the case or did you actually forget about those other two when you posted that? So strange, especially with giving us credit for Temple and then taking it away. The fact is that we were big underdogs going in to all three and won. The rest of the discussion is subjective; however, your line "Fordham has demonstrated relative dominance over the last few years in PL play; however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they've folded (exception was Temple)" is not and simply isn't correct.

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 04:18 PM
?!?! You mention Temple as the exception to us folding but now took that back and replaced it with Villanova? It seemed clear that you originally just forgot about our two other big upsets in the past three years when you wrote that but now I guess I was mistaken and you are more so trying to make it sound as though those don't count in your measurement as "tougher foe"s? Is that the case or did you actually forget about those other two when you posted that? So strange, especially with giving us credit for Temple and then taking it away. The fact is that we were big underdogs going in to all three and won. The rest of the discussion is subjective; however, your line "Fordham has demonstrated relative dominance over the last few years in PL play; however, every time they've played a tougher foe, they've folded (exception was Temple)" is not and simply isn't correct.

Dude - chill out. Go Lehigh TU owl is a different poster than LUHawker.

Gangtackle11
August 16th, 2016, 05:12 PM
CCSU 28 Lafayette 19 - the Leopards don't change their spots here.

Syracuse 37 Colgate 14 - get out healthy & cash the FBS check.

Monmouth 31 Lehigh 30 - Mountain Hawks can score, but can they defend?

Navy 41 Fordham 23 - The Midshipmen navigate past the feisty Rams.

Georgetown 41 Davidson 10 - The Hoyas find themselves atop the PL!

Holy Cross 28 Morgan State 23 - The Crusaders find Bears from Baltimore have some bite.

Bucknell 19 Marist 14 - NDSU aren't the only undefeated Bison, but the Red Foxes give Bucknell a scare.

Lehigh'98
August 16th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I still think of them as NEC. Last I checked New Jersey isn't in the south; maybe its because they're in South Jersey. xsmiley_wix

Either way, Lehigh should pull this one out at home.

Technically, It's north of I195. It's either central or north nj depending whether or not you count central NJ.

Gangtackle11
August 16th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Technically, It's north of I195. It's either central or north nj depending whether or not you count central NJ.
It's central jersey for sure.

Fordham
August 16th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Dude - chill out. Go Lehigh TU owl is a different poster than LUHawker.
Ha!

sorry to both of you

Bill
August 16th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks to Carney for getting this started again!
Friday, September 2nd:
LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut - Lafayette, 23-20. Have to pull for the PL here, even when it's the school from Easton.
COLGATE @ Syracuse - Syracuse, 43-16...but I think this game will be close for a half or so. I think the final score won't be indicative of how it was played - just a hunch.

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy - Navy, 37-20. I think Navy will have a hard time replicating the Rams' ability to throw the ball in practice, leading to some early scores. However, the talent of Navy takes over late.
Monmouth @ LEHIGH - Lehigh, 46-44. I hope we've found a defense, but I'm not counting on it. PS - I still thank Monmouth...and Albany...and the rest of the current/former NEC. I truly believe it was their push towards scholarships which allowed them to get competitive with the PL that finally forced our hand!
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN - Hoya Paranoia, 26-10. G-town starts off strong.
HOLY CROSS @ Morgan State - The Jesuits, 28-16. I'm an un-apologetic Gilmore fan, and I hope they start off strong.
BUCKNELL @ Marist - Go Bison, 30-18.

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 09:25 PM
CCSU
Syracuse
Lehigh
Navy
Gtown
HC
Bucknell

LUHawker
August 16th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Ha!

sorry to both of you

xpeacex

carney2
August 17th, 2016, 09:17 AM
As predicted, the early start allowed this thread to be hijacked. Not by expansion, the value of scholarships or even the heaving of verbal Molotov cocktails by rivals, but by two normally rational posters who are going at it over some poorly researched and badly chosen words. No touchdowns or tackles recorded yet, but the season has officially begun.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 09:32 AM
As predicted, the early start allowed this thread to be hijacked. Not by expansion, the value of scholarships or even the heaving of verbal Molotov cocktails by rivals, but by two normally rational posters who are going at it over some poorly researched and badly chosen words. No touchdowns or tackles recorded yet, but the season has officially begun.

Dont be sad carney. I have faith that the thread will be hijacked more than once.Give it a few more pages and this thread will be unrecognizable.

carney2
August 17th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Dont be sad carney. I have faith that the thread will be hijacked more than once.Give it a few more pages and this thread will be unrecognizable.

OK, then, let's hear your potential expansion candidates (again, and again, and ...). Just to keep it borderline sane divide them into two categories, Favorites and Realistic.

LUHawker
August 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM
OK, then, let's hear your potential expansion candidates (again, and again, and ...). Just to keep it borderline sane divide them into two categories, Favorites and Realistic.

My new favorite expansion candidates:

G'Town
Rutgers
Gettysburg
Johns Hopkins

Realistic: None

DFW HOYA
August 17th, 2016, 10:08 AM
My new favorite expansion candidates:

G'Town
Rutgers
Gettysburg
Johns Hopkins

Realistic: None

When did this thread jump back to 1972?

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Really,expansion?? We have to find a new go to topic.:)
Summary
PL wants an 8th football member. Would prefer all sports candidate but will take a football only.
There are no candidates for expansion.
Perhaps we should revisit the best cheeseburger places! :)

LUHawker
August 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Seriously, the PL has 4 solid contenders (Colgate, FU, LU and HC), 1 wildcard (BU), a program in need of a booster shot (LC) and one that remains the "sleeping giant" (GU).

All of the FCS media outlets are picking Colgate to win the league again. While that is certainly a seemingly safe bet given they won the title last year and had a good playoff run, I'm a little surprised that Colgate is an across-the-board pick. They squeaked by Lehigh, held on by a whisker against Fordham, and hardly were dominant in wins against Bucknell (14-10), G'town (17-13) and LC (28-19). I think the league will be tighter than last year. A couple of different bounces of the ball and Colgate was a 3-loss team. The same could be said of the other teams, but the point is that no team is head-and-shoulders above. It should be a fun season. PL could turn the corner this year....

LeopardBall10
August 17th, 2016, 11:22 AM
PL could turn the corner this year....

Not the first time this has been said already in this very young thread. But I feel like a lot of us were saying the same things last year; 3 years of scholarships, poised to strike, yadda yadda yadda. And then the first two weeks of the season happened and the PL OCC record was abysmal. Not saying I don't have the same hopes, I am just more cautious than optimistic at this point.

LUHawker
August 17th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Not the first time this has been said already in this very young thread. But I feel like a lot of us were saying the same things last year; 3 years of scholarships, poised to strike, yadda yadda yadda. And then the first two weeks of the season happened and the PL OCC record was abysmal. Not saying I don't have the same hopes, I am just more cautious than optimistic at this point.

I'd say that last year did start to demonstrate that pivot - maybe not in the early part of the season, but certainly by season's end. Colgate and Lehigh improved a lot and Fordham stayed the course. HC also improved down the stretch. I don't think its unfair to say that we really had 2 classes of schollies getting real playing time (sophs and juniors) with some frosh getting in the mix. This is the first year that the league (sans FU) has scholly seniors - I think that makes a big difference. It won't bridge the red-shirt issue, but the gap is now down to a year vis-a-vis the rest of FCS.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM
True enough. The only template we havecfor scholarship progression is Fordham. Not perfect given initial coaching staff issue but the only example we have. Do think that PL didvturn the corner last year by the playoffs. Gate 6-0 but hardly dominant in PL yet won 2 games in the playoffs. The 6 schollie teams all now have 4 classes in hand and all seem to have mastered the learning curve for schollie recruiting.
Expect we will progress a bit more this year. Dont expect a much better W % given the FBS games but do think we will represent well again in the playoffs.

Fordham
August 17th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Wow, I think there is a HUGE difference between how '14 ended and how '15 ended and I think Colgate's playoff run solidified the argument in favor of us turning the corner. I understand that being a PL fan will make even the most cockeyed optimist into a glass is pretty empty guy but I really do think we've turned the corner.

I often see posts here harkening back to a pre-scholarship time when some PL team made deep playoff runs and we did great against tough OOC foes. I view those days almost akin to a Fordham Block of Granite days reference though. The real comparison to make is the trend that developed some point around 2005 imo where every year the trend became that we did worse and worse in OOC games, saw the NEC and other schools catch up and surpass us pretty quickly, started getting trounced by FCS power conf schools, became a one bid- AQ only league and were served up as chum against the top ranked schools in the country for a first round whoopin'.

Scholarships are not even fully implemented and we've shown consistent playoff wins. Given that we hit our stride in the back half of the year imo, I think you're going to now start seeing the impact on the OOC side of things starting this year.

Be optimistic.

carney2
August 17th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Soliciting input from Crossers and/or knowledgeable PL folks: What happens to Holy Cross after Pujals? They seem to be more like Lafayette than any other League member. Can we expect them to follow Tavani and Company down the endless also-ran road?

GATA2016
August 17th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Soliciting input from Crossers and/or knowledgeable PL folks: What happens to Holy Cross after Pujals? They seem to be more like Lafayette than any other League member. Can we expect them to follow Tavani and Company down the endless also-ran road?

Lafayette is going shock some people this year.

GATA2016
August 17th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Lafayette is going to shock some people this year

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Wow, I think there is a HUGE difference between how '14 ended and how '15 ended and I think Colgate's playoff run solidified the argument in favor of us turning the corner. I understand that being a PL fan will make even the most cockeyed optimist into a glass is pretty empty guy but I really do think we've turned the corner.

I often see posts here harkening back to a pre-scholarship time when some PL team made deep playoff runs and we did great against tough OOC foes. I view those days almost akin to a Fordham Block of Granite days reference though. The real comparison to make is the trend that developed some point around 2005 imo where every year the trend became that we did worse and worse in OOC games, saw the NEC and other schools catch up and surpass us pretty quickly, started getting trounced by FCS power conf schools, became a one bid- AQ only league and were served up as chum against the top ranked schools in the country for a first round whoopin'.

Scholarships are not even fully implemented and we've shown consistent playoff wins. Given that we hit our stride in the back half of the year imo, I think you're going to now start seeing the impact on the OOC side of things starting this year.

Be optimistic.
Agree overall. Those great preschollie likely were better than many post schollie teams. It was an entirely different landscape. A lot of players on those squads couldn't even get admitted now. Moreover, there was significantly less competition for players. Today schollies are an absolute necessity for PL to compete.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Dont think Cross and Pards are all that comparable. Quite different issues at both schools. Similarities for a while with inept ADs. Cross has moved on with Pine who has been a force in rebuilding their whole program.
My question is whether Cross will redo Randolph cycle with Pujols' departure?

Sader87
August 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM

My opinion, but I don't think HC is the "one-trick pony" they were in the Dom Randolph years anymore. The recruiting with scholarships has solidified (I think, I hope) the program.

At the QB position itself, Blaise Bell ('18) is an intriguing backup for Pujals. Very good athlete, sort of in the Dartmouth QB last year Williams mold. A 2017 HS Sr, Conor Degenhardt is a 6'6" kid who was highly recruited but chose to attend his Dad's alma mater in Wissstahh.

carney2
August 17th, 2016, 03:35 PM

At times I agree with you and at other times I just want to agree with you. Care to be more specific? Wins? PL wins? OOC wins?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 03:51 PM

Lafayette will be improved no doubt. I just don't see them recovering to a winning record given just how bad they were last year and recent history. That doesn't mean they can't "upset" a couple of teams with winning records.

Lehigh will need to be bring in Easton no matter the records.

If Lafayette is indeed better then a 2-1 start is not out of the question. An improved Leopard team should beat CCSU and be highly competitive with Delaware/Princeton. That's not murders row. Delaware and Princeton at best are probably fringe Top 40 this year.

LUHawker
August 17th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Agree overall. Those great preschollie likely were better than many post schollie teams. It was an entirely different landscape. A lot of players on those squads couldn't even get admitted now. Moreover, there was significantly less competition for players. Today schollies are an absolute necessity for PL to compete.

Rich - how do you square your comment with Lehigh in 2010 & 2011. LU finished #5 in 2011 (and who knows had Rob Ambrose not gotten vindictive against Spadola?)

Sader87
August 17th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I think the "scholarship vs non-scholarship" as to who/what was bettah then should be done more in a school by school manner imo.

Schools like Colgate and Lehigh had always run their football programs undah a technically "non-athletic scholarship" model and thus during most of the non-scholarship era (HC last had scholarships in 1991) 1992-2012, they were two of the dominant programs in the PL.

Holy Cross (and newcomers FU and GU) never seemed to have a good handle on how to assemble/develop a strong football program undah this model and struggled through much of this era.

With everyone (save GTown) now essentially in the same boat scholarship-wise, it should both help the league in general and make for more parity within the league.

We shall see.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Rich - how do you square your comment with Lehigh in 2010 & 2011. LU finished #5 in 2011 (and who knows had Rob Ambrose not gotten vindictive against Spadola?)

Excellent preschollie teams. Built a bit differently than Kevin's teams. A bunch of solid players around a core of excellent one's. Lum was our key. Injured in his Jr yr. Under the radar and we could give him a close to a full package in need aid. Spadola also under the radar with 1 other offer from Monmouth.
Excellent recruiting built on Lehigh's strong rep and a good bit of luck. Program quickly dropped back to 500as Ivies amped up recruiting as did the NEC. Tougher landscape for need only recruiting which is always hit or miss as you are limited both academically and finding those future stars with big need to compete with schollie teams.
Never did like Ambrose.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Excellent preschollie teams. Built a bit differently than Kevin's teams. A bunch of solid players around a core of excellent one's. Lum was our key. Injured in his Jr yr. Under the radar and we could give him a close to a full package in need aid. Spadola also under the radar with 1 other offer from Monmouth.
Excellent recruiting built on Lehigh's strong rep and a good bit of luck. Program quickly dropped back to 500as Ivies amped up recruiting as did the NEC. Tougher landscape for need only recruiting which is always hit or miss as you are limited both academically and finding those future stars with big need to compete with schollie teams.
Never did like Ambrose.

The 2011 team also had some key 5th year guys iirc, Flizack was definitely one. They were also good in trenches. Chagani was, imo, the best interior DL Lehigh's had in the last 20 years. The OL was extremely good all year despite some position reshuffling at times due to injury. I feel like Schauder(sp?) played just about every position on the line. Groome was monster at LB too. Probably the most physically gifted LB I've ever seen at Lehigh. The group of skill guys were about as good as there was in FCS.

The 2012 team was better than 2010 but was robbed of an opportunity to show it. The 2010 team was similar to Colgate last year...

Go...gate
August 17th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Lafayette 23, Central Connecticut 21

Syracuse 35, Colgate 17

Navy 38, Fordham 21

Lehigh 27, Monmouth 20

Georgetown 20, Davidson 13

Holy Cross 24, Morgan State 19

Bucknell 16, Marist 14

Go...gate
August 17th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Be optimistic.

Amen, brother. I take nothing for granted.

carney2
August 17th, 2016, 07:02 PM
If Lafayette is indeed better then a 2-1 start is not out of the question. An improved Leopard team should beat CCSU and be highly competitive with Delaware/Princeton. That's not murders row. Delaware and Princeton at best are probably fringe Top 40 this year.

CCSU is indeed a winnable game and will be an indicator as to whether or not the program has wandered in from the cold. The Hens are not your father's Delaware and are beatable. But, are they beatable by a team with all these questions? Princeton is an unclimbable mountain. Don't bother with the analytics. The Pards cannot and will not beat the Tabbies.

Gangtackle11
August 17th, 2016, 07:31 PM
CCSU is indeed a winnable game and will be an indicator as to whether or not the program has wandered in from the cold. The Hens are not your father's Delaware and are beatable. But, are they beatable by a team with all these questions? Princeton is an unclimbable mountain. Don't bother with the analytics. The Pards cannot and will not beat the Tabbies.

Dont sleep on Delaware this season. They are big on both sides of the ball & may have put together a top CAA defense. It pains me to acknowledge them, but if they get any improvement in the passing game they will be better than most think.

UNHWildcat18
August 17th, 2016, 07:56 PM
CCSU returns 20 starters this year and will only improve as they started to play much better towards the end of last season. Can someone explain why almost everyone is writing off a Lafayette that was horrid last year as an almost guaranteed, more than likely, and very winnable.... Win over CCSU.

ngineer
August 17th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Leotards win in a must win game. Not a 'stretch' but 'tards win 27-20

'gate will be respectable, but wear down. Orange 'crush', 31-17

Navy has too many weapons even for guys from da Bronx. Middies, 35-20

Lehigh "O" starts on all cylinders and the 'D' shows improvement. Mtn. Hawks,34-21

Hoyas in a must win situation. Lose this and it will be a loooong season. "The Rocks", 28-14

Holy Cross lights it up with Pujols, 30-20.

Bucky wins in a tight one. Red Foxes no laughing matter. Little Nell, 21-17.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
CCSU returns 20 starters this year and will only improve as they started to play much better towards the end of last season. Can someone explain why almost everyone is writing off a Lafayette that was horrid last year as an almost guaranteed, more than likely, and very winnable.... Win over CCSU.

I think it's the result of Lafayette coming off a 1-10 season and the need to search for W's in a new year. My guess is the Pard faithful (and PL fans) hope that Lafayette will also see a benefit from having 4 scholarship classes. I know they were hit by injury hard last year but 1-10 shows a complete lack of depth, talent base or staff cohesion imo. So I'm not sure where this season is headed. After six straight losing seasons (there was that legendary PL champ team in '13 which is right there with '15/'16 HC hoops in PL lore) and last years train wreck its hard to see THAT much improvement. Fordham was able to turn their 1 win season around by bringing in an entire new coaching staff. I'm not sure what Lafayette has really done to suggest they're going to completely turn the corner and go on a run. I have a hard time seeing more than 3-4 wins given the schedule.

CCSU did lose their final two games to close out the year 4-7. Given the Devils shaky recent history I totally get why this game is circled as a must win by the 'Pard faithful. CCSU fans should have the same perspective. If nothing else, Lehigh was able to start last year with a W in New Britain which helped ease the pain of their 3-8 2014 campaign.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Pard 1-10 record a bit deceptive . They lost the bulk of their 2 deep early in the season. At times their OL was frosh and Dlinemen. Most of the injured are back. Plus all those frosh got a lot of PT. Expect they will have a solid D. O has some good players but a lot of questions. OL should be solid with a lot of starters and lettermen. But Pards have been very inconsistent over the years under similar circumstances. Biggest issue is QB where Reed has under performed the last 2 years.
CCSU will not be a cupcake for this team. While veteran laden Pards are really a very new squad. Confidence will be a major issue. If Pards can jump in front early they can win. A shaky start and this is anyone's game.

Gangtackle11
August 17th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I don't see the Leopards winning Delaware, @ Princeton, Villanova, & @ Army games. I think they will have a tough time beating CCSU. So unless they make a run in the PL where exactly are they going to get 4-5 wins?

Andy
August 17th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Dont think Cross and Pards are all that comparable. Quite different issues at both schools. Similarities for a while with inept ADs. Cross has moved on with Pine who has been a force in rebuilding their whole program.
My question is whether Cross will redo Randolph cycle with Pujols' departure?

Right you are, rich. Not comparable. Gilmore has accomplished far less with more talent. One championship with Randolph and Pujols?! One championship in 12 years? Tavani has 4 over the same period. Who's following whom? Only at Lafayette would a fan compare the 2 with LC on the short end.

Bill
August 17th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Chagani was, imo, the best interior DL Lehigh's had in the last 20 years. The OL was extremely good all year despite some position reshuffling at times due to injury. I feel like Schauder(sp?) played just about every position on the line. Groome was monster at LB too. Probably the most physically gifted LB I've ever seen at Lehigh. The group of skill guys were about as good as there was in FCS.

The 2012 team was better than 2010 but was robbed of an opportunity to show it. The 2010 team was similar to Colgate last year...

Go Lehigh - since we have nothing better to discuss right now...xdrunkyx , I'll take Royce Morgan at DT...and Kevin Jefferson was easily the most physically gifted LB I've seen at LU - although I would still take McGeoy or Bubba over Groome at LB....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Go Lehigh - since we have nothing better to discuss right now...xdrunkyx , I'll take Royce Morgan at DT...and Kevin Jefferson was easily the most physically gifted LB I've seen at LU - although I would still take McGeoy or Bubba over Groome at LB....

I think Morgan would have been an All-American level player had he not suffered the broken leg against 'Nova to start the '04 season. He never seemed the same after that. Imagine how good that defense would have been with a healthy Morgan? JMU might still be trying to score....xsmiley_wix

I do remember Jefferson and while he was a great player I think Lee Picorello (sp?) was a slightly more dominant force during that time. McGeoy was great at covering ground. He would make plays sideline to sideline. Groome to me was just a beast, 6'3 240/250 and could move. He was awesome in pass coverage for his size. Ian Eason and Bubba Young are two other guys that come to mind. Bubba's game against WIU in the 2000 playoffs might be the best performance by a Lehigh LB ever. He outplayed Edge Hartwell BADLY. I'm pretty sure Young was a finalist for the National Defensive POY. An award Hartwell won...

Matt Cohen got a ton of praise but I never saw him as a game changer like the above mentioned. I actually liked Diamond from that period a little more but he battled injuries much of his career.

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Chagani at NG gets a slight edgevovervRoyce. Both in my top 5 DL over the years. LovevGroome but Jefferson the best LB I have ever seen at Lehigh hands down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Talking about Kevin Jefferson had me thinking, it's been 25 years since 1991. I actually put together a quick bullet point months ago for that year because I feel there's some real historical significance for the league. Honestly, you could do a great essay about the 1991 PL season imo. With a Lehigh slant of course, lol. If I had more time I'd do more with it. Next to 1998 there's not a year I remember more and I was just a young buck back then...

- The 1991 team was filled with some tremendous individual talent who faced a
terrific schedule. They ultimately finished2 points shy of an undefeated season.

- It was Lehigh's best start, 6-0, in many years..

- The Epic Lehigh-Holy Cross game that received national attention...

- The riot to conclude the Lehigh-Lafayette game and the aftermath (early start
times, increased security). Also what led up to the unfortunate incident...

NY Times article

Officials from Lafayette College and Lehigh University are going back to the drawing board on efforts to prevent violence following football games after their latest move ended by turning students against the police. Ten Bethlehem police officers were injured slightly in a melee after last weekend's football game that involved hundreds of students and scores of officers. In the nation's oldest college football rivalry, Lehigh won the 127th game between the schools, 36-18.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/01/us/post-game-melee-and-new-concern.html

- Erik Bird's death in December following routine surgery when a brain tumor
was discovered. I still remember the WPVI Channel 6 news report from Goodman
Stadium...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-12-20/news/9112200617_1_david-bird-erik-bird-lake-howell (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-12-20/news/9112200617_1_david-bird-erik-bird-lake-howell)

This was also Holy Cross's last great team of the scholarship era which is quite significant imo. The Crusaders finished #3 in the country. What led to that moment and the ensuing years are worthy of a book in itself...

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I think Morgan would have been an All-American level player had he not suffered the broken leg against 'Nova to start the '04 season. He never seemed the same after that. Imagine how good that defense would have been with a healthy Morgan? JMU might still be trying to score....xsmiley_wix

I do remember Jefferson and while he was a great player I think Lee Picorello (sp?) was a slightly more dominant force during that time. McGeoy was great at covering ground. He would make plays sideline to sideline. Groome to me was just a beast, 6'3 240/250 and could move. He was awesome in pass coverage for his size. Ian Eason and Bubba Young are two other guys that come to mind. Bubba's game against WIU in the 2000 playoffs might be the best performance by a Lehigh LB ever. He outplayed Edge Hartwell BADLY. I'm pretty sure Young was a finalist for the National Defensive POY. An award Hartwell won...

Matt Cohen got a ton of praise but I never saw him as a game changer like the above mentioned. I actually liked Diamond from that period a little more but he battled injuries much of his career.

Avgreat list of LBs. Pic an excellent OLB but I dont recall him asvbeing more dominant. In his time Eason likely thevmist dominant. He was a difference maker. Pearce Boyko were also very good. Fun going down memory lane. Certainly more enjoyable than fretting over whether our 2 ndary will improve. :)

RichH2
August 17th, 2016, 11:31 PM
owl
Those years were magical for us old farts also.Perhaps not a book but an article on those 2 years would be fascinating.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2016, 11:44 PM
owl
Those years were magical for us old farts also.Perhaps not a book but an article on those 2 years would be fascinating.

A "First Five Years, 1986-1991" book. Just off the top of my head

- How the league came about, name, Davidson/William & Mary
- Gordi Lockbaum and an All-Time great FCS team in '87
- Kenny Gamble wins first ever Payton Award in '87
- Last game at Taylor Stadium '87
- Lafayette knocks of the king in '88 rise of Baur/Costello
- Baur on cover of Sports Illustrated to start '89
- Name Change to PL 1990
- Fordham comes aboard 1990
- HC goes 10-1 finishes 4th 1990
- 1991 season, what I said above
- The decline of the league that started in 1992 (ohh Lafayette :D) and lasted until 1998.

bison137
August 18th, 2016, 09:08 AM
CCSU returns 20 starters this year and will only improve as they started to play much better towards the end of last season

Depends on how you define starters. They graduated five full-time starters, three of whom started on the OL.

RichH2
August 18th, 2016, 10:04 AM
A "First Five Years, 1986-1991" book. Just off the top of my head

- How the league came about, name, Davidson/William & Mary
- Gordi Lockbaum and an All-Time great FCS team in '87
- Kenny Gamble wins first ever Payton Award in '87
- Last game at Taylor Stadium '87
- Lafayette knocks of the king in '88 rise of Baur/Costello
- Baur on cover of Sports Illustrated to start '89
- Name Change to PL 1990
- Fordham comes aboard 1990
- HC goes 10-1 finishes 4th 1990
- 1991 season, what I said above
- The decline of the league that started in 1992 (ohh Lafayette :D) and lasted until 1998.

That rates a book :)

aceinthehole
August 18th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I think it's the result of Lafayette coming off a 1-10 season and the need to search for W's in a new year. My guess is the Pard faithful (and PL fans) hope that Lafayette will also see a benefit from having 4 scholarship classes. I know they were hit by injury hard last year but 1-10 shows a complete lack of depth, talent base or staff cohesion imo. So I'm not sure where this season is headed. After six straight losing seasons (there was that legendary PL champ team in '13 which is right there with '15/'16 HC hoops in PL lore) and last years train wreck its hard to see THAT much improvement. Fordham was able to turn their 1 win season around by bringing in an entire new coaching staff. I'm not sure what Lafayette has really done to suggest they're going to completely turn the corner and go on a run. I have a hard time seeing more than 3-4 wins given the schedule.

CCSU did lose their final two games to close out the year 4-7. Given the Devils shaky recent history I totally get why this game is circled as a must win by the 'Pard faithful. CCSU fans should have the same perspective. If nothing else, Lehigh was able to start last year with a W in New Britain which helped ease the pain of their 3-8 2014 campaign.
Lafayette-CCSU is a tough game to call. The Leopards were certainly hit by the injury bug last year, but CCSU was very young and generally played better than their record. For example, Central outplayed Lehigh in the 2nd half. In any case, this should be a close game and is very winnable for either team.

I don't have a lot of confidence picking Central, but of course I will. IMO this is a MUST WIN for Coach Ross, if we want to think the program is headed in the right direction in his 3rd season. That being said, the pride of a historical football power is on the line when they travel to face the lowly Teachers College in New Britain. ;)

Central is rebuilding its O-Line, but I’m willing to bet we have more speed and talent at most skill positions. If we can spread the ball around on offense without turning it over, I think we win at home under the lights.

Usually, home field is advantage, but CCSU might actually be a better team on the road. Since 2005, CCSU is 10-7 at Arute Field, but just 4-7 vs. FCS opponents and 6-0 vs. D-II/III teams.

· 10/17/2015 - L, 7-34 vs. Dartmouth
· 9/4/2015 - L, 14-20 vs. Lehigh
· 11/15/2014 - L, 25-28 vs. Howard
· 9/27/2014 - W, 38-14 vs. Rhode Island
· 9/6/2014 - L, 0-19 vs. Albany
· 9/14/2013 - L, 21-52 vs. Holy Cross
· 9/8/2012 - L, 14-35 vs. Lehigh
· 9/2/2006 - W, 34-6 vs. Marist
· 10/1/2005 - W, 56-20 vs. St. Peter’s
· 9/10/2005 - L, 10-56 vs. Rhode Island

However, in that same period of time CCSU recorded 7 ROAD wins vs. teams offering more schollys/aid:

· 9/3/2005 - W, 24-22 at Colgate (Patriot)
· 9/9/2006 - W, 17-13 at #13 Georgia Southern (SoCon)
· 9/27/2008 - W, 28-10 at Delaware St. (MEAC)
· 9/5/2009 - W, 28-21 at Lehigh (Patriot)
· 9/26/2009 - W, 22-13 at Columbia (Ivy)
· 9/21/2013 - W, 20-17 at Albany (CAA)
· 8/30/2014 - W, 31-27 at #7 Towson (CAA)

BucBisonAtLarge
August 18th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Lafayette
Syracuse
Navy
HC
Lehigh
Gtown
Bucknell

bison137
August 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Central outplayed Lehigh in the 2nd half.

I imagine some Lehigh fans might dispute that. In the second half, LU gained 175 yards on 32 plays with no turnovers. CCSU gained 125 yards on 31 plays, also with no turnovers. Additionally, LU was able to make three first downs with the game on the line in the final 3:40, without having to throw a pass. True, CCSU did get a TD in the second half and LU didn't - but in terms of play, it has to be debatable that Central outplayed Lehigh.

carney2
August 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I don't see the Leopards winning Delaware, @ Princeton, Villanova, & @ Army games. I think they will have a tough time beating CCSU. So unless they make a run in the PL where exactly are they going to get 4-5 wins?

Good points all. CCSU is the best shot at an OOC win. Beyond that the Pards will have to play well in the Patriot League where there are truly no unwinnable games. Most level headed observers have them winning 3 or 4, not 4 or 5. It comes down to an improvement at QB where Reed was once a "prospect," and having an offensive line for the first time in 6 or 7 years. That last item can only be achieved without any serious injuries because the numbers just aren't there for any real depth.

NY Crusader 2010
August 18th, 2016, 04:43 PM
How improved is Delaware supposed to be? I actually put down Lafayette-Delaware as one of my bigger PL OOC upsets this season. Along with HC-Harvard.

Gangtackle11
August 18th, 2016, 04:48 PM
How improved is Delaware supposed to be? I actually put down Lafayette-Delaware as one of my bigger PL OOC upsets this season. Along with HC-Harvard.

Delaware has a physical defense especially now with Penn State transfer LB Troy Reeder. Offensively they have 3/4 quality backs to run behind a big offensive line. How good they are lies on Joe Walker QB & receivers. Word out of Newark is its been an upgrade from last season. May not be saying much as they ranked 127th in FCS pass rankings.

Delaware loses to Lafayette than it will most certainly signal a death knell for Coach Brock. IMHO.

bgsmitty43
August 18th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Colgate has a legitimate shot at upsetting Syracuse? I give them a 50-50 shot at the win. They have a solid defense and some tools including an elusive QB on offense. Syracuse is only an hour down the street, so travel isn't an issue. I am a BGSU alum and saw what Dino Babers did at BG. They will run tons of plays and throw the ball around the lot. The offense revolves around the QB and not sure they have what Babers wants yet. I think Colgate has some veterans to handle this. This, in my opinion, is their season with a chance to make the PL proud. Fordham-Navy is a different story. Navy defense will hold Edmonds in check and their offense will look like a track team, up and down the field. Hope that game is competitive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 18th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Colgate has a legitimate shot at upsetting Syracuse? I give them a 50-50 shot at the win. They have a solid defense and some tools including an elusive QB on offense. Syracuse is only an hour down the street, so travel isn't an issue. I am a BGSU alum and saw what Dino Babers did at BG. They will run tons of plays and throw the ball around the lot. The offense revolves around the QB and not sure they have what Babers wants yet. I think Colgate has some veterans to handle this. This, in my opinion, is their season with a chance to make the PL proud. Fordham-Navy is a different story. Navy defense will hold Edmonds in check and their offense will look like a track team, up and down the field. Hope that game is competitive.

A 50/50 shot to win?!?! A against an ACC team?!?! This game won't be competitive. Syracuse has quite a bit of team speed and the Dome will be rocking (if only for one night) with a new head coach. Babers will get his skill guys in space which will be eat up Colgate's defense all game.

Both Fordham and Colgate are in deep chit.....

carney2
August 18th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Colgate has a legitimate shot at upsetting Syracuse?

Yes you are.

ngineer
August 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Avgreat list of LBs. Pic an excellent OLB but I dont recall him asvbeing more dominant. In his time Eason likely thevmist dominant. He was a difference maker. Pearce Boyko were also very good. Fun going down memory lane. Certainly more enjoyable than fretting over whether our 2 ndary will improve. :)

Keep in mind, but wasn't Eason only 16 when he entered Lehigh? I know we had a great LB back around then who entered early and actually had a cup of coffee in the NFL--maybe it was Jeffeson?

NY Crusader 2010
August 18th, 2016, 09:29 PM
A Colgate upset over Syracuse isn't impossible. After all, Villanova was a couple of short kicks away from beating the Orange last year. But, 2015 Villanova WITH Robertson is a couple of TDs better than what I expect 2016 Colgate to be (which should still be very, very good by PL standards).

A Fordham win over Navy is less likely IMO just because the Mids will score at will.

ngineer
August 18th, 2016, 09:52 PM
A Colgate upset over Syracuse isn't impossible. After all, Villanova was a couple of short kicks away from beating the Orange last year. But, 2015 Villanova WITH Robertson is a couple of TDs better than what I expect 2016 Colgate to be (which should still be very, very good by PL standards).

A Fordham win over Navy is less likely IMO just because the Mids will score at will.

"You may fire when ready, Gridley."---Commodore Perry, The Battle of Manila Bay.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind, but wasn't Eason only 16 when he entered Lehigh? I know we had a great LB back around then who entered early and actually had a cup of coffee in the NFL--maybe it was Jeffeson?

Jefferson was 16 when he entered Lehigh in 1990.

RichH2
August 18th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Jefferson was 16 as a Frosh.Not sure about Eason altho he is one of the best.
Kevin did have a couple of years in the NFL.

2ram
August 18th, 2016, 11:00 PM

agreed, 'nova that year was tremendous, and even though 'gate will be better than last years playoff squad, i'm not sure it will do better against da 'cuse than that 3OT loss 'nova suffered.

navy will be a bigger FBS challenge than we've faced. bigger than 21st ranked cincinnati (5-0) in 2012, where we lost 49-17. not because navy will be ranked higher, but because i think that offense will give us more trouble.

still, the homer in me believes it will be a competitive game :) we are going to be better than last year, and we weren't half bad last year.

Fordham
August 18th, 2016, 11:01 PM

Here was my earlier post ... you're not alone

I think Colgate has more of a shot than they're being given here. Cuse has a new coach and system, Gate has the same system and almost everyone back. Tough system to play against imo. I'm definitely taking 'Gate in this one. Have they given a spread yet?

Go...gate
August 18th, 2016, 11:42 PM
That rates a book :)

Agreed.

Lehigh'98
August 19th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Jefferson was 16 as a Frosh.Not sure about Eason altho he is one of the best.
Kevin did have a couple of years in the NFL.

Eason was of normal college age. Best LBer in my tenure. Probably responsible for my future CTE issues. Extremely fast.

Bubba and Brendan Moore were both excellent as well.

The turnaround from 98 on was due to speed on defense. Something we lacked prior to that.

Fordham
August 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM
A 50/50 shot to win?!?! A against an ACC team?!?! This game won't be competitive. Syracuse has quite a bit of team speed and the Dome will be rocking (if only for one night) with a new head coach. Babers will get his skill guys in space which will be eat up Colgate's defense all game.

Both Fordham and Colgate are in deep chit.....
I agree that it's not 50/50 but I don't think 'Gate is in it deep like you say. They likely will lose and have the potential to lose big; however ...
*They return pretty much everyone from a team who made it to the semis last year and I would argue FCS opponents that deep in the playoffs are in the same ballpark as low end FBS ones, even a P5 one.
*Colgate has a unique offense that can frustrate the heck out of a team adjusting to new coaches and a new system on D.
*Syracuse will also be installing a new O. Maybe it'll go well but if there's a time to strike imo, it will be in game 1 when they're not as likely to have the nuances and consistency down as they should later on in the year.

Again, it could be a blowout and I was surprised to see that they were picked to be middle of the pack in the Atlantic division when I thought they were expected to be much worse. Nonetheless, they have a shot imo and not just in the Lloyd Christmas way.

edit - Fordham, on the other hand ... well, I'm not expecting much from our D against that brutally unique and pounding offense. I'm just going to enjoy having the family in Annapolis and getting ready for the season.

Lehigh'98
August 19th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I agree that it's not 50/50 but I don't think 'Gate is in it deep like you say. They likely will lose and have the potential to lose big; however ...
*They return pretty much everyone from a team who made it to the semis last year and I would argue FCS opponents that deep in the playoffs are in the same ballpark as low end FBS ones, even a P5 one.
*Colgate has a unique offense that can frustrate the heck out of a team adjusting to new coaches and a new system on D.
*Syracuse will also be installing a new O. Maybe it'll go well but if there's a time to strike imo, it will be in game 1 when they're not as likely to have the nuances and consistency down as they should later on in the year.

Again, it could be a blowout and I was surprised to see that they were picked to be middle of the pack in the Atlantic division when I thought they were expected to be much worse. Nonetheless, they have a shot imo and not just in the Lloyd Christmas way.

There's always a shot, but in this case it's pretty small inside the dome. Although I think Nova gave them hell last year and we saw what Colgate did to the CAA last year!

Gate was a quarterfinalist last year, not semi.

Gangtackle11
August 19th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Early Vegas line Syracuse -27 1/2 over Colgate.

Not saying it can't happen, but it's unlikely.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2016, 09:37 AM

Seems about right. The Colgate defense was shaky last year. The Raiders might score but they're not going to stop the Orange.

RichH2
August 19th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Seems about right. The Colgate defense was shaky last year. The Raiders might score but they're not going to stop the Orange.

Gate does get back Steffen at DT and Bridgeforth at DB. IMO, they will stabilize D. Gate may stay with Cuse for longer than many think. Not enuf to win tho.
Dont think it will be a body bag but Gate cannot afford to lose Melville.

Andy
August 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Lafayette-CCSU is a tough game to call. The Leopards were certainly hit by the injury bug last year, but CCSU was very young and generally played better than their record. For example, Central outplayed Lehigh in the 2nd half. In any case, this should be a close game and is very winnable for either team.

I don't have a lot of confidence picking Central, but of course I will. IMO this is a MUST WIN for Coach Ross, if we want to think the program is headed in the right direction in his 3rd season. That being said, the pride of a historical football power is on the line when they travel to face the lowly Teachers College in New Britain. ;)

Central is rebuilding its O-Line, but I’m willing to bet we have more speed and talent at most skill positions. If we can spread the ball around on offense without turning it over, I think we win at home under the lights.

Good stuff, Ace. Uncanny how similar the situations and perspectives of the 2 teams are: both coming off poor seasons, both viewing as must win, both facing daunting OOC to follow. I feel positive about our OL for the first time in a long while, but know you have some on D who will present a major challenge. We need to demonstrate we can handle the speed rushers. Already lost our LT for the season, but veterans remain. Like you, we feel good about our skill positions on O. Lehigh is aware of our 6-4 WR, Mrazek, not sure if the rest of the league is. RB Brown is a good one and high hopes, too, for 3* CJ Amil, who has been moved to RB from slot. If indeed you prove to have more speed and talent at the skills, my hat will be off to you guys.

On D, we should have a strong front 7. Pass rush improvement is imperative. Worries come from 2 new starters in the secondary who were embarrassed at times last year when replacing injured starters.

Any suggestion as to parking? Picking up some fam in Meriden, trying for an early arrival. Tavani in press conference mentioned something about a festival ("hullabaloo" I believe he said) on campus Fri night. What's up with that? I'm looking into tickets today.

bison137
August 19th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Colgate has a legitimate shot at upsetting Syracuse?

As Carney pointed out, yes you are. I would consider it a good job by Colgate if they stay within 17 points.

Fordham
August 19th, 2016, 10:43 AM

ouch

I'm seeing us as 15pt dogs right now. I really think 'gate has a better shot at the upset than we do. admittedly, though, neither of us has much of one. maybe it really is Lloyd Christmas time

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Good stuff, Ace. Uncanny how similar the situations and perspectives of the 2 teams are: both coming off poor seasons, both viewing as must win, both facing daunting OOC to follow.

Any suggestion as to parking? Picking up some fam in Meriden, trying for an early arrival. Tavani in press conference mentioned something about a festival ("hullabaloo" I believe he said) on campus Fri night. What's up with that? I'm looking into tickets today.

Yes, this is a great matchup for both sides.

Love to get the fans feedback on Arute Field. It has been refurbished and is still on the smaller side, but I think it compares well with any of the current New England CAA stadiums. Fans should not be too disappointed with a road trip. Speaking of ... for any fans making it to Hard Hittin' New Britain, here are a few recommendations:

- Capitol Lunch (http://www.capitollunch.com (http://www.capitollunch.com/))
A local institution has been serving its hot dogs with its famous sauce for more than 80 years.

- East Side Restaurant (http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com (http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com/))
Traditional German-Bavarian setting and food.

- "Little Poland" (Broad Street, New Britain)
One of the largest Polish neighborhoods in the U.S., check out www.staropolska.net (http://www.staropolska.net/) for traditional Polish cuisine

BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE - Not because of a sell out, but because you will waste a ton of time in line.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/athletics/Tickets

From Meriden you can literally take CT-71 straight to campus, or more efficiently take the Berlin Turnpike (US-5/CT-15) to CT-9 Expressway to Exit 29 (CT-175 Newington).

CCSU Campus Map - http://web.ccsu.edu/campusmap/?redirected

The main, and really only, tailgating is in the "Kaiser Lot" off Ella Grasso Blvd. Get there at least a few hours early because it isn't too big and will definitely fill up. Its a pretty good atmosphere there and should be packed with students, especially if the weather is good. If you can't park there, I recommend the "Copernicus Garage" off Manafort Drive. Drive to the upper street level or take the Wells Street entrance. Or you can park in the Student Center lot or garage; its not far, but is an uphill walk to the stadium.

Our AD has done a great job with our image (branding) and school spirit. I don't know of any events, but it would not surprise me if they have something planned for that day leading to the game. It isn't a very big or pretty campus, but you will certainly "feel" like your at a college football game. I'm bet some Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Dartmouth fans can provide additional insight to the logistics and atmosphere as a visitor.

Gate83
August 19th, 2016, 07:53 PM

I'm not a betting guy but 27 1/2 is a lot of points. Was with a bunch of Syracuse folks today who have no idea what to expect from their team... good D they hope, no clue what to expect on O, particularly with the new coach. I'll settle right now for staying competitive for a half... and getting out injury free. Didn't happen last year at Navy, though I do have a picture of the scoreboard when we were up 3-0!

bgsmitty43
August 19th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Colgate holds 'Cuse to less than 30 points they have a great shot at the upset. Syracuse will probably start a QB that was not recruited for Dino Babers offense which could lead to some mistakes. Gets some points off turnovers and it could be a great afternoon.

van
August 19th, 2016, 09:04 PM
LAFAYETTE @ Central Connecticut, healthy Pards should be just enough fire power to handle Kizer and company

COLGATE @ Syracuse, Gate should score enough to make it respectable

FORDHAM @ Navy, Mids are stout and Rams D still MIA

Monmouth @ LEHIGH, could be a high scoring affair, but I am counting on some improvement in the D this year (or hoping)

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN, Hoyas may be bottom of PL but Dave is bottom of FCS

HOLY CROSS @ Morgan State, don't see this as competitive

BUCKNELL @ Marist, Buffs may not have much O, but enough to power past the red flashers

RichH2
August 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Lots of chalk for the first week. The only ifs I see from this thread are Lehigh and Lafayette. For both it cannot be overstated how important Ws are for them. The rest of their OOC schedules are difficult. Pards have more question marks but face a CCSU aquad with almost as many. For LU, it may be a shootour vs a full schollie Monmouth. Theoretically both should be Ws for PL but neither game is a tuneup.

Lehigh'98
August 20th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Didn't Morgan St take HC to the wire a year or two ago?

Sader87
August 20th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Didn't Morgan St take HC to the wire a year or two ago?

yup...HC held on for a 29-26 win at Fitton....that MSU team did win the MEAC that year.

Gangtackle11
August 20th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Current PL lines provided @5dimes.eu

Lafayette at Central Connecticut - Friday, September 02, 2016 6:00 PM

431 Lafayette
+3˝ -120

432 Central Connecticut

Monmouth NJ at Lehigh - Saturday, September 03, 2016 12:30 PM

443 Monmouth NJ
+3 -120

444 Lehigh
-3 -120

-3 -120

Davidson at Georgetown - Saturday, September 03, 2016 1:00 PM

445 Davidson
+29˝ -120

446 Georgetown
-29˝ -120

Holy Cross at Morgan State - Saturday, September 03, 2016 2:00 PM

447 Holy Cross
-19 -120

448 Morgan State

Bucknell at Marist - Saturday, September 03, 2016 6:00 PM

463 Bucknell
-6˝ -120

464 Marist

Colgate at Syracuse - Friday, September 02, 2016 7:00 PM

253 Colgate
+27 -120

254 Syracuse
-27 -120

Fordham at Navy - Saturday, September 03, 2016 12:00 PM

261 Fordham
+28˝ -120

262 Navy
-28˝ -120

Lehigh'98
August 21st, 2016, 08:03 AM
yup...HC held on for a 29-26 win at Fitton....that MSU team did win the MEAC that year.

Do you have any idea if they have significantly regressed since then?

Andy
August 21st, 2016, 09:33 AM
Yes, this is a great matchup for both sides.

Love to get the fans feedback on Arute Field. It has been refurbished and is still on the smaller side, but I think it compares well with any of the current New England CAA stadiums. Fans should not be too disappointed with a road trip. Speaking of ... for any fans making it to Hard Hittin' New Britain, here are a few recommendations:

- Capitol Lunch (http://www.capitollunch.com (http://www.capitollunch.com/))
A local institution has been serving its hot dogs with its famous sauce for more than 80 years.

- East Side Restaurant (http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com (http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com/))
Traditional German-Bavarian setting and food.

- "Little Poland" (Broad Street, New Britain)
One of the largest Polish neighborhoods in the U.S., check out www.staropolska.net (http://www.staropolska.net/) for traditional Polish cuisine

BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE - Not because of a sell out, but because you will waste a ton of time in line.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/athletics/Tickets

From Meriden you can literally take CT-71 straight to campus, or more efficiently take the Berlin Turnpike (US-5/CT-15) to CT-9 Expressway to Exit 29 (CT-175 Newington).

CCSU Campus Map - http://web.ccsu.edu/campusmap/?redirected

The main, and really only, tailgating is in the "Kaiser Lot" off Ella Grasso Blvd. Get there at least a few hours early because it isn't too big and will definitely fill up. Its a pretty good atmosphere there and should be packed with students, especially if the weather is good. If you can't park there, I recommend the "Copernicus Garage" off Manafort Drive. Drive to the upper street level or take the Wells Street entrance. Or you can park in the Student Center lot or garage; its not far, but is an uphill walk to the stadium.

Our AD has done a great job with our image (branding) and school spirit. I don't know of any events, but it would not surprise me if they have something planned for that day leading to the game. It isn't a very big or pretty campus, but you will certainly "feel" like your at a college football game. I'm bet some Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Dartmouth fans can provide additional insight to the logistics and atmosphere as a visitor.

Perfect, ace, thanks! Actually bought my tickets online Friday, easy, efficient process. Print from email, nice to have them in hand. Great job, CCSU.

Did not see what we wanted from the OL, running game, in yesterday's scrimmage. Worries....

Sader87
August 21st, 2016, 12:27 PM
Do you have any idea if they have significantly regressed since then?

Unsure to be honest...new coach as formah Crusadah Lee Hull took the WR position with the Colts. Interim HC is also a formah Sader....Fred Farrier.

Picked for 7th in the MEAC preseason poll.

ngineer
August 21st, 2016, 09:03 PM

While I don't think 'gate can beat the Orange, I'd take the points.

ngineer
August 21st, 2016, 09:06 PM
Current PL lines provided @5dimes.eu

Lafayette at Central Connecticut - Friday, September 02, 2016 6:00 PM

431 Lafayette
+3˝ -120

432 Central Connecticut

Monmouth NJ at Lehigh - Saturday, September 03, 2016 12:30 PM

443 Monmouth NJ
+3 -120

444 Lehigh
-3 -120

-3 -120

Davidson at Georgetown - Saturday, September 03, 2016 1:00 PM

445 Davidson
+29˝ -120

446 Georgetown
-29˝ -120

Holy Cross at Morgan State - Saturday, September 03, 2016 2:00 PM

447 Holy Cross
-19 -120

448 Morgan State

Bucknell at Marist - Saturday, September 03, 2016 6:00 PM

463 Bucknell
-6˝ -120

464 Marist

Colgate at Syracuse - Friday, September 02, 2016 7:00 PM

253 Colgate
+27 -120

254 Syracuse
-27 -120

Fordham at Navy - Saturday, September 03, 2016 12:00 PM

261 Fordham
+28˝ -120

262 Navy
-28˝ -120

Can you tell me what the "120" stands for? I don't play the lines, though I understand the +/-.

aceinthehole
August 22nd, 2016, 07:25 AM
Can you tell me what the "120" stands for? I don't play the lines, though I understand the +/-.

It means you need to bet or "risk" $120 for the odds to win or "collect" $100.

So I would have to put up $240 for CCSU to beat Lafayette by 4 points just to win $200.

Vegas doesn't make it easy on purpose :)

jimbo65
August 22nd, 2016, 08:52 AM
Lafayette
Syracuse (unfortunately)
Fordham ( picked listening to my heart rather than my brain)
Lehigh
Gtown ( Davidson has been rated by Sagarin almost at the bottom if all FBS & FCS programs)
Holy Cross
Bucknell

bgsmitty43
August 22nd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Lafayette
Syracuse (unfortunately)
Fordham ( picked listening to my heart rather than my brain)
Lehigh
Gtown ( Davidson has been rated by Sagarin almost at the bottom if all FBS & FCS programs)
Holy Cross
Bucknell

Fordham - They say when in doubt follow your heart. The problem is there is no doubt.

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2016, 11:09 AM

Can't Georgetown schedule a better opponent than Davidson at this point?

Lehigh'98
August 22nd, 2016, 11:48 AM
It means you need to bet or "risk" $120 for the odds to win or "collect" $100.

So I would have to put up $240 for CCSU to beat Lafayette by 4 points just to win $200.

Vegas doesn't make it easy on purpose :)

That's why it's tough betting FCS games. The standard vig is -110, but for FCS it gets raised to -120 alot.

jimbo65
August 22nd, 2016, 12:01 PM
Can't Georgetown schedule a better opponent than Davidson at this point?

No knock at Gtown intended on my part, just gave reason for pick.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
Time to Give it Hell....

CCSU 24 Lafayette 21 - This is basically a coin flip. I'll take the home team with the 3 points.

Syracuse 51 Colgate 21 - Babers is going to have the Orange prepared to play. The Colgate defense was shaky all last year. Playing a motivated Syracuse team in the dome is not the ideal way to start the season...

Navy 45 Fordham 27 - I've come around on the idea the Rams will be modestly competitive in this game. Navy did lose a ton of talent from last years team. While they have a proven coach and talent base they'll need some time to work out the kinks. The Rams have the weapons to hang in for a bit....

Georgetown 34 Davidson 16 - The Hoyas need this one bad...

Bucknell 38 Marist 10 - If the Bison are contenders they win this game rather comfortably....

Holy Cross 42 Morgan State 17 - I think the Crusaders are going to be a 7 or win team this year. They roll to the first one....

Lehigh 42 Monmouth 27 - Lehigh's offense should have no trouble putting up points. Monmouth will score given their solid talent base. But they can't keep up...

RichH2
August 22nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Time to Give it Hell....

CCSU 24 Lafayette 21 - This is basically a coin flip. I'll take the home team with the 3 points.

Syracuse 51 Colgate 21 - Babers is going to have the Orange prepared to play. The Colgate defense was shaky all last year. Playing a motivated Syracuse team in the dome is not the ideal way to start the season...

Navy 45 Fordham 27 - I've come around on the idea the Rams will be modestly competitive in this game. Navy did lose a ton of talent from last years team. While they have a proven coach and talent base they'll need some time to work out the kinks. The Rams have the weapons to hang in for a bit....

Georgetown 34 Davidson 16 - The Hoyas need this one bad...

Bucknell 38 Marist 10 - If the Bison are contenders they win this game rather comfortably....

Holy Cross 42 Morgan State 17 - I think the Crusaders are going to be a 7 or win team this year. They roll to the first one....

Lehigh 42 Monmouth 27 - Lehigh's offense should have no trouble putting up points. Monmouth will score given their solid talent base. But they can't keep up...

If Lehigh can hold teams under 30 they should have a very good year. Do hope tho D gels a bit more by PL games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2016, 01:34 PM
If Lehigh can hold teams under 30 they should have a very good year. Do hope tho D gels a bit more by PL games.

My hope is a defense that holds teams in the 25 ppg range. That's what it will take to be a playoff team if health is on their side. Monmouth and Villanova are two good tests to start the year. Monmouth might have a few more weapons than the Wildcats. Neither team should run rampant over an improved Lehigh defense. '

Nova's defense will likely be the Lehigh O's biggest challenge. They have the front 7 to get after Shafnisky. Their DE might be a second day draft pick. LU's OL is legit though....

RichH2
August 22nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
My hope is a defense that holds teams in the 25 ppg range. That's what it will take to be a playoff team if health is on their side. Monmouth and Villanova are two good tests to start the year. Monmouth might have a few more weapons than the Wildcats. Neither team should run rampant over an improved Lehigh defense. '

Nova's defense will likely be the Lehigh O's biggest challenge. They have the front 7 to get after Shafnisky. Their DE might be a second day draft pick. LU's OL is legit though....

We would be great. Probably be necessary to get title. Gate and Fordham are hoping for better Ds also. Gate may have a more solid start than we do

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2016, 04:37 PM
Here's Hero Sports PL preview...

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/patriot-league-football-2016-preview

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2016, 05:38 PM
Here's Hero Sports PL preview...

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/patriot-league-football-2016-preview

From the preview, the last win these schools have had over a I-A school:

Fordham: 2015
Colgate: 2003
Lehigh: 2002
Holy Cross: 2002
Lafayette: 1971
Bucknell: 1971
Georgetown: 1950

Sader87
August 22nd, 2016, 05:50 PM
From the preview, the last win these schools have had over a I-A school:

Fordham: 2015
Colgate: 2003
Lehigh: 2002
Holy Cross: 2002
Lafayette: 1971
Bucknell: 1971
Georgetown: 1950

And it was Holy Cross.....xrotatehx

Go...gate
August 23rd, 2016, 01:36 AM
Interesting description of the Lafayette - Lehigh game as the "oldest FCS rivalry".

Also loved the comment that Civil War veterans attended the first LC - LU game in 1884.

One cannot say that the PL schools do not have some history.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2016, 08:36 AM
Interesting description of the Lafayette - Lehigh game as the "oldest FCS rivalry".

Also loved the comment that Civil War veterans attended the first LC - LU game in 1884.

One cannot say that the PL schools do not have some history.

Just one quibble , it is the Lehigh-Lafayette Rivalry. :)

LeopardBall10
August 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23341&stc=1

NY Crusader 2010
August 23rd, 2016, 08:55 AM
Anyone want to predict the next PL over FBS upset? I don't see any happening this year.

I'd love to say HC over UConn in 2017 but it seems like the Huskies are on the rise right now. We won't be facing the level of team that got embarrassed by Towson a few years back.

Fordham
August 23rd, 2016, 12:05 PM
Pretty sure we're next to play Army. Anyone playing Army has to be towards the top of the next FBS win list, I would think

Edit: just saw that next up with Army is Lafayette, so they have a shot to be the next one imo

Sader87
August 23rd, 2016, 12:54 PM
Lafayette is at Army this year. I think all the FBS PL games this year are a stretch for a W but it's great to see schools like Navy and Syracuse on our schedules.

Sandlapper Spike
August 23rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

RichH2
August 23rd, 2016, 02:45 PM
Anyone want to predict the next PL over FBS upset? I don't see any happening this year.

I'd love to say HC over UConn in 2017 but it seems like the Huskies are on the rise right now. We won't be facing the level of team that got embarrassed by Towson a few years back.

Given that upsets by their very nature are not predictable, looking at the list for this year and next, Pards vs Army may be the best. Talent level not all that different. Dont expect either to score a lot of points.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2016, 05:22 PM

Colgate might have a shot against Buffalo next year.

Andy
August 23rd, 2016, 07:43 PM

So, after beating UConn and winning 3 playoff games in 2013, Towson lost their opener to CCSU in 2014. Not what I need to read right now.......

RichH2
August 23rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
So, after beating UConn and winning 3 playoff games in 2013, Towson lost their opener to CCSU in 2014. Not what I need to read right now.......

NEC teams are not guaranteed cupcakes any longer. The better teams usually have very good skills players. Not much depth.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2016, 08:06 PM
NEC teams are not guaranteed cupcakes any longer. The better teams usually have very good skills players. Not much depth.

Yup! I think Duquesne is going to give YSU a run for their money...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
The Wedge Previews for each team...

Bucknell
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-patriot-league-preview-bucknell/

Colgate
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-preseason-patriot-league-preview-colgate-empty/

Georgetown
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-preseason-patriot-league-preview-georgetown-empty/

Holy Cross
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-preseason-patriot-league-preview-holy-cross/

Lafayette
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-preseason-patriot-league-preview-lafayette/

Lehigh
http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-preseason-patriot-league-preview-lehigh/

carney2
August 24th, 2016, 07:59 AM

You have it backasswards in every possible way.

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2016, 08:05 AM

Skill players = scholarship players. This is where Georgetown falls short this season.

bison137
August 24th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Duquesne has been able to attract a lot of transfers who failed to get enough playing time at big-time schools. They currently roster three transfers from Penn State, one from Pitt, one from Arizona, one from Ohio State, one from West Virginia, and one from UConn. Also transfers from Idaho, Eastern Michigan, ODU, Monmouth, Buffalo, and two California juco's.

RichH2
August 24th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Duquesne has been able to attract a lot of transfers who failed to get enough playing time at big-time schools. They currently roster three transfers from Penn State, one from Pitt, one from Arizona, one from Ohio State, one from West Virginia, and one from UConn. Also transfers from Idaho, Eastern Michigan, ODU, Monmouth, Buffalo, and two California juco's.

Impressive list. How many are on the 2 deep?

carney2
August 24th, 2016, 10:57 AM
You people seem to be starved for the season to begin. At over 140 posts with 9 days to go, this is the biggest Pick 'em thread I can remember.

RichH2
August 24th, 2016, 11:45 AM
You people seem to be starved for the season to begin. At over 140 posts with 9 days to go, this is the biggest Pick 'em thread I can remember.
Yup :)
Not much else to drink during the last of the summer doldrums. Besides our threads are addictive. You never know where they are going to go. :)

NY Crusader 2010
August 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Colgate might have a shot against Buffalo next year.

I either didn't realize this was scheduled or I had forgotten. This could be an opportunity for a PL win -- before our league stopped playing FBS games in 2005 because of the "counter rule", Buffalo was chopped down by both Colgate and Lehigh at least once each. I believe the 15-1 Colgate team in '03 played Buffalo and won pretty soundly.

jayhawkdaddy
August 24th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Lafayette
Syracuse
Navy
Lehigh
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Bucknell

carney2
August 24th, 2016, 06:47 PM
21 people have picked the seven games.* Here are the results so far:

LAFAYETTE 16, CCSU 5
Syracuse 20, COLGATE 1
Navy 20, FORDHAM 1
LEHIGH 18, Monmouth 3
GEORGETOWN 20, Davidson 1
HOLY CROSS 21, Morgan State 0
BUCKNELL 21, Marist 0

No surprises.

*Note to aceinthehole: This is the "Patriot League Pick 'em" thread, not the "CCSU Pick 'em" thread. You had to pick all seven games, not just one to be counted.

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I believe the 15-1 Colgate team in '03 played Buffalo and won pretty soundly.

Raiders won 38-15. It was Jamaal Branch's first big game, as he had 170 rushing yards and 2 TDs. 'Gate outgained UB 621-243 overall. First of many big days in a Walter Payton campaign xthumbsupx

http://athletics.colgate.edu/Football/archives/2003season/03stats/GAME2.HTM

UNHWildcat18
August 24th, 2016, 07:06 PM
21 people have picked the seven games.* Here are the results so far:

LAFAYETTE 16, CCSU 5
Syracuse 20, COLGATE 1
Navy 20, FORDHAM 1
LEHIGH 18, Monmouth 3
GEORGETOWN 20, Davidson 1
HOLY CROSS 21, Morgan State 0
BUCKNELL 21, Marist 0

No surprises.

*Note to aceinthehole: This is the "Patriot League Pick 'em" thread, not the "CCSU Pick 'em" thread. You had to pick all seven games, not just one to be counted.

love being one of 5 CCSU picks and one of 3 Monmouth picks! ONE MORE WEEK!

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2016, 08:01 PM
love being one of 5 CCSU picks and one of 3 Monmouth picks! ONE MORE WEEK!

You are not alone my friend.

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2016, 08:07 PM
You are not alone my friend.

Stop playing hard to get and just join the PL already

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Stay thirsty Lehigh '98 stay thirsty!

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Bring your friends Bill & Mary and things will get real crazy

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Raiders won 38-15. It was Jamaal Branch's first big game, as he had 170 rushing yards and 2 TDs. 'Gate outgained UB 621-243 overall. First of many big days in a Walter Payton campaign xthumbsupx

http://athletics.colgate.edu/Football/archives/2003season/03stats/GAME2.HTM

Lehigh was ranked #2 in the TSN poll when they beat Buffalo in 2002. They dominated the stat sheet enroute to a 37-26 win. I was there that night! Fun weekend! The following week they crushed Georgetown 69-0....

LEHIGH UB
FIRST DOWNS................... 26 13
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 45-174 30-111
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 334 154
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 42-23-2 31-12-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 87-508 61-265
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 2-14 1-83
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-106 4-93
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-31 2-47
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-38.0 6-37.7
Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 0-0
Penalties-Yards............... 2-21 6-50
Possession Time............... 35:56 24:04
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 2-11 2-7

"But showing the character of a national championship contender, the Engineers(!!) shook off the early Bull rush, got off the canvas and scored the next 23 points en route to a 37-26 victory before 21,103 fans.

Lehigh, which extended its nation's best win streak to 24 games, capped one of its most stunning comeback wins in years...."

http://articles.mcall.com/2002-08-30/sports/3418046_1_lehigh-ub-stadium-first-half

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11401421_992483604117404_5477613536179967925_n.jpg ?oh=066d66a973e1f17047830af972010e76&oe=583D1C62

UNHWildcat18
August 24th, 2016, 09:15 PM

But then Villanova would be downgrading 😁

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM
But then Villanova would be downgrading 

Villanova likes to window shop in the PL, but never buys anything permanent.

Bill
August 24th, 2016, 09:56 PM

It's not very appropriate - although we have hi jacked our own threads before - but I felt the need to dust this one off:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23357&stc=1

Bill
August 24th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Lehigh was ranked #2 in the TSN poll when they beat Buffalo in 2002. They dominated the stat sheet enroute to a 37-26 win. I was there that night! Fun weekend! The following week they crushed Georgetown 69-0....

LEHIGH UB
FIRST DOWNS................... 26 13
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 45-174 30-111
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 334 154
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 42-23-2 31-12-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 87-508 61-265
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 2-14 1-83
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-106 4-93
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-31 2-47
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-38.0 6-37.7
Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 0-0
Penalties-Yards............... 2-21 6-50
Possession Time............... 35:56 24:04
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 2-11 2-7

"But showing the character of a national championship contender, the Engineers(!!) shook off the early Bull rush, got off the canvas and scored the next 23 points en route to a 37-26 victory before 21,103 fans.

Lehigh, which extended its nation's best win streak to 24 games, capped one of its most stunning comeback wins in years...."

http://articles.mcall.com/2002-08-30/sports/3418046_1_lehigh-ub-stadium-first-half

I was there that night too - first game on sideline at LU - what a great time. Especially after Lawrence Williams bailed out my rookie special teams blunder. I had the wrong kicker get loose...he missed the long FG.

L. picked off the next pass for a TD, and all was forgiven :)

RichH2
August 24th, 2016, 10:35 PM
It's not very appropriate - although we have hi jacked our own threads before - but I felt the need to dust this one off:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23357&stc=1

Oh Bill over the years I haven't noticed that we have shown any discrimination in who we hijack. If we show up we will hijack the thread. :)

World
August 25th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

carney2
August 25th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Bring your friends Bill & Mary and things will get real crazy

Group discounts are available.

And, we are now in the 160s for this thread - kind of a mini Lafayette @ UNH thing.

Lehigh'98
August 25th, 2016, 09:20 AM
But then Villanova would be downgrading 

You take Nova for granted. We will treat her like the wildcat she is every season

LeopardBall10
August 25th, 2016, 12:13 PM
So another AGS user, Keeper, posted the Lost Starter numbers in another thread. If you want to see his method or the full chart you can pull it all up HERE (http://file:///C:/Users/enardone/Downloads/fcsstats0825.htm). But we have talked about returning starters and lost offense or defense for a while now, this is one way to quantify those losses. I pulled the PL teams out of his full list and left the FCS averages as a comparison:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23371&stc=1

I think this kind of shows a few things that we already knew. First of all, GTown lost all of it's QB offense, and they threw the ball a lot more than they ran it last year. And the offensive numbers seem to hold true to what we have all be thinking about the large number of underclassmen getting playing time, at least on offense where the PL lost less than average.

the last indian
August 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
As for Colgate's win at Buffalo in 2003, it was Branch's first game. The week before, while he sat on the bench, we nearly lost to Georgetown. Won on the last play of the game, if I am not mistaken. Hard to imagine that the coaches overlooked Branch, but the then coach, Biddle always liked to go with experience and rarely substituted. He had few faults as a coach, but I think that was one of them.

ColgateTD
August 25th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Pards
Orange
Middies
Engineers
Hoyas
Crusaders
Bison

carney2
August 25th, 2016, 09:33 PM
It appears that the injury monster is stalking Lafayette again. They have lost a starting O-lineman and a starting D-linemen via what are reported as non-contact injuries. Both will be out for at least a few weeks, certainly missing the opener at CCSU. The offensive line was a problem to begin with as depth was an issue, and at least one defensive lineman has already been switched over to build the numbers. It now appears that there will be a freshman starter in the group at CCSU - never a good sign.

2009 was the last time that Lafayette had an offensive line. How can a coach still be employed when he allows a problem this obvious and this critical to go on for six (seven?!) years? 2010 and 2011 can be forgiven after former President of the College, Dan Weiss, gutted the program, but somewhere around 2012 we should have seen some corrective action setting in. Tavani now says he is "one recruiting class away" from getting this solved. In the working world that you and I occupy things would have changed long before "next year." At Lafayette, however, it's the same people doing the same things and expecting different results. If you want to know how this program has fallen deep in the toilet, look no further than this.

LeopardBall10
August 26th, 2016, 07:07 AM
It appears that the injury monster is stalking Lafayette again.

I would also like to see the data. Maybe I'm biased as a Pards fan, but I feel like we see much more than our fair share of injuries. I don't think there is any argument that Lafayette experienced the most Games Lost To Injury last year, but the injuries do feel like a recurring problem. Makes me wonder what the potential cause is. This, putting all of the other shortcomings aside.

RichH2
August 26th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I would also like to see the data. Maybe I'm biased as a Pards fan, but I feel like we see much more than our fair share of injuries. I don't think there is any argument that Lafayette experienced the most Games Lost To Injury last year, but the injuries do feel like a recurring problem. Makes me wonder what the potential cause is. This, putting all of the other shortcomings aside.

From the outside,other than last year, I dont get the impression that Pards have consistently suffered greater numbers of injuries than other PL squads. Pard fans may be more sensitive to injuries this year.
OL? An annual issue for Leopards. Pards have had all PL linemen but not consistently effective OL play over the last 5-6 years. Why has been debated exhaustively without much consensus or improvement.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2016, 09:10 AM
From the outside,other than last year, I dont get the impression that Pards have consistently suffered greater numbers of injuries than other PL squads. Pard fans may be more sensitive to injuries this year.
OL? An annual issue for Leopards. Pards have had all PL linemen but not consistently effective OL play over the last 5-6 years. Why has been debated exhaustively without much consensus or improvement.

I don't think Lafayette has been hit any harder either. Lehigh was hit hard by injury in '13 and '14 and dealt with it the best the could. Other teams have as well. This year Colton Caslow went down early in camp and might not play in the opener. There's been very little talk about it because its water under the bridge. The more pressing issue is building depth and experience across the board.

For whatever silly reason 'Pard fans feel they're cursed. Whether it be injuries or their inability to beat certain teams there's always a poor me attitude. I really think there needs to be a major overhaul in the program. They seem destined for their 7th straight losing season. That's literally insane. A good Lafayette is good for he league AND Lehigh...

Lehigh'98
August 26th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Assuming their injury rate is higher, the place to start would be strength and conditioning program.

LeopardBall10
August 26th, 2016, 09:39 AM
There's been very little talk about it because its water under the bridge. The more pressing issue is building depth and experience across the board.

They seem destined for their 7th straight losing season. That's literally insane.

I don't think I disagree with much of what you are saying. I think the issue for the PL, and Lafayette even more so, is a lack of depth. The PL wide issue is created through the lack of walkons/redshirts. The Lafayette issue is just a lack or hitting on the recruits we have been getting and not having enough at the right potions.

And I don't think it is so much poor us. It is a lot more of just utter disbelief and frustration with exactly what you mentioned. 6 straight losing seasons and no obvious improvements where they have been needed for years.

bison137
August 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Agree.

carney2
August 26th, 2016, 10:06 AM

I disagree, and you know that of all the Pard People, I am the least paranoid. It has been a problem for years, with last year being a devastating outlier. Conditioning has been examined - and, supposedly, dealt with. The playing surface has been replaced for 2016. We are quickly approaching the "gods don't like us" phase of the investigation. As for the O-line problems, I have already commented. It's on Tavani, his recruiting, and probably Stan Clayton, his O-line coach. More than that, however, it's on the College community where no one apparently cares enough to take action. Tavani has a job for life with no performance requirements built into his (written or unwritten) contract. The AD is a yes man and a puppet of the administration and does not even report to anyone with real authority. The administration ignores the whole thing with the attitude that athletics and winning are an embarrassment to the institution, showing that its priorities are misplaced. A seismic cultural shift is needed, and just how do you accomplish that?

RichH2
August 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM
I disagree, and you know that of all the Pard People, I am the least paranoid. It has been a problem for years, with last year being a devastating outlier. Conditioning has been examined - and, supposedly, dealt with. The playing surface has been replaced for 2016. We are quickly approaching the "gods don't like us" phase of the investigation. As for the O-line problems, I have already commented. It's on Tavani, his recruiting, and probably Stan Clayton, his O-line coach. More than that, however, it's on the College community where no one apparently cares enough to take action. Tavani has a job for life with no performance requirements built into his (written or unwritten) contract. The AD is a yes man and a puppet of the administration and does not even report to anyone with real authority. The administration ignores the whole thing with the attitude that athletics and winning are an embarrassment to the institution, showing that its priorities are misplaced. A seismic cultural shift is needed, and just how do you accomplish that?
Never thought you were paranoid carney. I get the frustration and anger at losing and no one at LC seeming to care.
My only point is that Pards' injuries year to year dont seem disproportionate to other PL teams.
We all have depth issues. Roster management will be a challenge under the current PL restrictions.
I still think Pards can be a middle of the pack team this year. A resurrected Reed and you could be better.

carney2
August 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM
My only point is that Pards' injuries year to year dont seem disproportionate to other PL teams.
We all have depth issues.

I know, and that's what I disagree with. No way to prove it, but I firmly believe that Lafayette's injury issues in this decade far surpass anyone else in the Patriot League. Of course, if one averages last year in with other years it is probably a done deal, but I'm talking more than that. The depth issues in Pardland on the other hand, are self-inflicted with the finger always pointing back at Tavani who, like his predecessor, appears to be phoning in the final years of his reign. (And why not, with the pay checks rolling in, the retirement fund growing, and no one holding his feet to the fire over ... [anything].)

carney2
August 26th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I still think Pards can be a middle of the pack team this year. A resurrected Reed and you could be better.

We'll know soon enough. If it's 0-2 at 9:15 or so on Saturday the 10th, you can pretty well count on this being just another year in Toilet City. These first two games are HUGE for a program that looks down and finds that it is already anchored on rock bottom.

carney2
August 26th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I'm proud of myself - I've managed to hijack this thread from the hijackers. We are no longer talking about BrownTurd teams from the middle ages.

Lehigh'98
August 26th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Carney's relentless bashing of the entire Lafayette program from the top down lets me know that football season is really here!! Let's roll

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2016, 03:37 PM
LAFAYETTE
SYRACUSE
NAVY
LEHIGH
GEORGETOWN
HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL

bison137
August 26th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I know, and that's what I disagree with. No way to prove it, but I firmly believe that Lafayette's injury issues in this decade far surpass anyone else in the Patriot League.

I really doubt that. You just don't notice the injuries of the other teams.

RichH2
August 26th, 2016, 03:52 PM
You nailed it 98. And he is already in mid season form. :)

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2016, 06:41 PM
The depth issues in Pardland on the other hand, are self-inflicted with the finger always pointing back at Tavani who, like his predecessor, appears to be phoning in the final years of his reign. (And why not, with the pay checks rolling in, the retirement fund growing, and no one holding his feet to the fire over ... [anything].)

From 2014:

"Frank Tavani likes just where he is. "What a quality of life we have at Lafayette College," the Leopards' football coach said. "And we get to deal with pretty solid kids in the Patriot League."

Tavani will enjoy that quality of life for the next three years after he received a contract extension today that will keep him on College Hill through 2016.

Tavani has been coaching at Lafayette for 28 years, 14 as head coach; he is 76-82 on his career and has won four PL titles, the most recent this fall, rallying from a 1-5 start to clinch the championship with a 50-28 win at Lehigh...

"I just try and keep hanging around," he said.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette/index.ssf/2014/01/what_a_quality_of_life_we_have.html

ngineer
August 26th, 2016, 09:37 PM

It would be interesting to compare the frequency of injuries with the change in practicing on the artificial turf in Fisher as opposed to the grass up the road at Metzger.

RichH2
August 26th, 2016, 10:38 PM
It would be interesting to compare the frequency of injuries with the change in practicing on the artificial turf in Fisher as opposed to the grass up the road at Metzger.

When did Pards switch?

Sader87
August 27th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Jesus Christ.....can we please stop with the "woe is me" from both Carney and DFW Hoya.....man up and join the scholarship era of PL football.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2016, 01:34 AM
Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

World, the book you have as your avatar is a very good one. Saw the Tigers in camp Thursday and Coach Surace was doing a fine job with his charges.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Can we please stop with the "woe is me" from both Carney and DFW Hoya.....man up and join the scholarship era of PL football.

Both of these teams have valid, though different concerns.

And "woe" has never been a part of the dialogue at the Cross? From the final whistle of the 1986 BC game, the older fans have been yelling at the clouds.

http://www.holycross.edu/sites/default/files/files/libraryarchives/sports_1986lockbaum.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/91sn32Q.jpg?fb

carney2
August 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Carney's relentless bashing of the entire Lafayette program from the top down lets me know that football season is really here!! Let's roll

"Relentless?" I think not. Reasoned and consistent is more to the point.

carney2
August 27th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Jesus Christ.....can we please stop with the "woe is me" from both Carney and DFW Hoya.....man up and join the scholarship era of PL football.

C'mon, 87, you know better than this. One shotgun blast cannot possibly hit both of these targets. They are too different.

And, for the record, no "woe is me/us" from yours truly. Just telling it like it is.

Sader87
August 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Both of these teams have valid, though different concerns.

And "woe" has never been a part of the dialogue at the Cross? From the final whistle of the 1986 BC game, the older fans have been yelling at the clouds.

http://www.holycross.edu/sites/default/files/files/libraryarchives/sports_1986lockbaum.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/91sn32Q.jpg?fb

Very true and I have been one of the most vocal "old men" but a new day has dawned with the return of football scholarships. No more excuses.

There is no justifiable reason (imho) that Georgetown can't have football scholarships. Quit complaining, either start giving them or leave the league. I actually would like to see a strong football program at GTown....it would only make the league stronger.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2016, 03:05 PM
There is no justifiable reason (imho) that Georgetown can't have football scholarships. Quit complaining, either start giving them or leave the league. I actually would like to see a strong football program at GTown....it would only make the league stronger.

The justifiable answer is the most obvious one: it's a $4 million annual expense for 60 scholarships (double it for Title IX) for a program that cannot raise the revenues to support it. Georgetown only carries about 60 scholarships across its 14 men's sports (roughly 13 in basketball, 12 in track, 12 in lacrosse, nine in soccer, and 14 for everyone else. Rellocating some or all these grants to one sport is not possible because the Big East Conference mandates minimum scholarship coverage across a specific sports as a condition of membership.

Offering some number less than 60 would be marginally productive but competitively inert. Ten scholarships turned the Georgetown men and women's soccer program into national powers within three years. The same could not be said for ten football scholarships.

I'm not against scholarship support. I have not found, however, a specific number of grants to propose that would make financial and competitive sense within the Patriot League system.

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/district-of-columbia/georgetown-university/admission/

carney2
August 27th, 2016, 03:33 PM
The justifiable answer is the most obvious one: it's a $4 million annual expense for 60 scholarships (double it for Title IX) for a program that cannot raise the revenues to support it.

To move this discussion in a new and, I think, justifiable, direction, DFW makes a good point. Who, among the League members, is even coming close to breaking even in the world of D-1 college football? I think it's a legitimate question that speaks to the true long term viability of Patriot League football. I have no idea, but am hoping that some of our more savvy commenters like DFW, 137 and sader87 may begin to move us toward some reasonable opinions, if not answers.

bison137
August 27th, 2016, 04:05 PM
To move this discussion in a new and, I think, justifiable, direction, DFW makes a good point. Who, among the League members, is even coming close to breaking even in the world of D-1 college football?

No PL team is remotely close to breaking even - which is true of almost all FCS schools. For example, only one CAA team and one MVC team claim to have made money in 2014, based on their own data. One is Albany and the other is Indiana State. I suspect there is some unusual accounting in both cases.

RichH2
August 27th, 2016, 04:15 PM
To move this discussion in a new and, I think, justifiable, direction, DFW makes a good point. Who, among the League members, is even coming close to breaking even in the world of D-1 college football? I think it's a legitimate question that speaks to the true long term viability of Patriot League football. I have no idea, but am hoping that some of our more savvy commenters like DFW, 137 and sader87 may begin to move us toward some reasonable opinions, if not answers.

Dont quite get what you are seeking.
No sport in the PL is a money making enterprise. Football certainly isn't. For those booking FBS games , football income will surely go up quite a bit. Enough to break even? Unlikely but others can address their team's numbers more specifically.
Viability of the Patriot League?? How does merit aid raise that specter? Not a major spending increase for Gate,Lehigh or Fordham( certainly not for Hoyas). A bit more for Bucknell and Cross, both of whom actively scheduled FBS. Lafayette likely had the biggest impact given their Title IX issues. All seem to be adapting well uf at slightly different paces.
Do you see future events that will endanger the PL ?

Sader87
August 27th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Just tired of hearing the "woe is us" bantah coming out of some corners of the PL... in many ways, the PL is (or could be) the flagship league of 1-AA football. Historic programs that also take pahht in the playoff system unlike the Ivy League.

RichH2
August 27th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Just tired of hearing the "woe is us" bantah coming out of some corners of the PL... in many ways, the PL is (or could be) the flagship league of 1-AA football. Historic programs that also take pahht in the playoff system unlike the Ivy League.

Agree. Top teams of PL will be a fixture in playoffs in years to come. A lot of factors other than schollies ie coaching ,admin support are crucial.
Pards and Hoyas have their self inflicted issues. I can understand carney and DFW's angst. Carney particularly. Pards have a rich heritage in football. The frustration of 6 losing seasons with scant hope of any change would drive any fan nuts. I would cut carney some slack. We all need a place to bitch. Others dont have to read or respond, if they find it annoying.

bluefish
August 28th, 2016, 08:50 AM
CCSU
Gate (Homer and alma mater)
Navy
Davidson (Upset special)
Saders
Bison

carney2
August 28th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Just tired of hearing the "woe is us" bantah coming out of some corners of the PL.

No "woe is us" coming from me. That is your interpretation. I am merely describing the situation as I see it. All of it is self-inflicted. No "woe" there when you do it to yourself. It is what the powers that be want it to be.

Colgate Raider Redux
August 28th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Carney, your cynicism and negativity is getting stale.
Lafayette's athletic policy overall may be just out of sync with the way the top of the PL is evolving.
That's an institutional problem that really doesn't interest us as much as it interests you.

Colgate Raider Redux
August 28th, 2016, 10:35 AM

So far, H.C.'s only contribution to this "flagship" phenomena is its scheduling prowess into the future. Methinks it's way premature for the Saders to show anything but abject humility.

Pard4Life
August 28th, 2016, 10:58 AM
So my thoughts about the upcoming football season:

-"Wake up son! It's time for the Lafayette Leopards football season!"
-"Awwwwh... do we have to??"

carney2
August 28th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Lafayette's athletic policy overall may be just out of sync with the way the top of the PL is evolving.
That's an institutional problem that really doesn't interest us as much as it interests you.

Two hands, but only one finger showing. Guess which one.

Bill
August 28th, 2016, 08:38 PM
This one? :D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23384&stc=1

Gate83
August 28th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Two hands, but only one finger showing. Guess which one.

Carney's one of the best posters on the PL threads, enjoy your take & appreciate the insight into what's up at Lafayette. Redux, relax!

RichH2
August 28th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Carney's one of the best posters on the PL threads, enjoy your take & appreciate the insight into what's up at Lafayette. Redux, relax!

+1

Go...gate
August 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM

Colgate Raider Redux, as you are new here, may I suggest that you show a bit of common courtesy to Carney2 and other posters on the board. It is SOP around here.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2016, 10:27 PM

Yes.

KillaBee
August 29th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Its chicken Hawk season...!! Wake Up chicken hawk!!

carney2
August 29th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Good to hear from you P4L. I've been combing the obits with fear and dread looking for your name. Cheer up. Better times are coming. Can't promise you when, but it is an eventual guarantee.

Franks Tanks
August 29th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Good to hear from you P4L. I've been combing the obits with fear and dread looking for your name. Cheer up. Better times are coming. Can't promise you when, but it is an eventual guarantee.

Agree, good to see P4L. No juice for the Pard's this year, and the head coach seems to be tempering expectations before the season even starts. Despite a great home slate, it may be hard to generate excitement in Easton this year.

bluefish
August 29th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Is the other prison still there in Easton??

carney2
August 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Is the other prison still there in Easton??

You are obviously referring to the witless incarceration area on the side of South Mountain in South Bethlehem. No one hears much of them due to their inferior education and woefully poor communication skills. One occasionally sees a brown stain and remembers that they are probably still there. After all, where else could they be? Where would they go/ Who would have them?

bluefish
August 29th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I forgot about them.

van
August 29th, 2016, 04:56 PM
talk it up now Carney, come late November you will be singing a different tune

Lehigh'98
August 29th, 2016, 05:30 PM
It's game week ladies! Getting chippy in here, I like it. How about we go out and win a few OOC games for once???

TheValleyRaider
August 29th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Let there be football. There shall now be football, and it is good :)

Happy to be back for another round of Patriot League Pick 'em. Missed last season for personal and professional reasons, but I'm back and ready for another great run xthumbsupx

Friday
Lafayette at Central Connecticut State Lafayette An intriguing match-up between two programs that have seen better days. I learned long ago that Lafayette is the team to never bet for or against if I can help it. Taking a league-mate in Week 1, with no confidence either way. Pards haven't had a winning campaign since 2009, and they definitely don't get to one without a win in New Britain. Or maybe they do.

Saturday
Fordham at Navy Navy The Rams reached new heights a year ago at West Point, grabbing the first FBS win for the League in over a decade. Now they look to take the next step against the next academy. Unfortunately for the Rams, the Middies are in a different class from Army, even without the newest member of the Baltimore Ravens. Fordham has the offense to make this interesting, but I'm not sure they can keep up over the full game.

Monmouth at Lehigh Lehigh I think the PL hawks deserve a little more confidence coming into this season then they've been getting compared to Colgate and Fordham, especially given they get both at home. But that is for later in the year. This weekend, it's about hosting a middling Monmouth team. The beach Hawks got their first win against the Mountain Hawks back in 2014, but if Lehigh is as good as I think they can be, this is a game they should pull away and win.

Davidson at Georgetown Georgetown Rob Sgarlata deserves plenty of credit for the work he's done so far, but it's not hard to wonder what the next step will be, or even if there can/will be one for the Hoyas. The first step, though, is beating up on the Wildcats, a team they have handled as of late. Davidson has been dreadful, and the Hoyas should be able to expect a win here.

Holy Cross at Morgan State Holy Cross These two played a tight one back in 2014, a season that saw the Bears best 6 wins for the first time since 2002. I think the Crusaders are better than that 4-7 side from 2014, but is that going to be enough in Worcester? There are tales of talented players joining Pujals in purple, and the time is now to make a move, if not to the top, at least to 7 wins again. I'm always hesitant to read much into the season opener, but a big win could go a long way to building confidence for this program.

Bucknell at Marist Bucknell 12 years and running for the Bison and Red Foxes, the rivalry no one saw coming. This has gone from a tight game that the Bison almost always pulled out to a much more comfortable pair of shutouts. My question is not can the Foxes win but can they score (2 straight shutouts for the Bison defense)? If the Bison are the dark horse contender people seem to think they are, I say yes to the latter, but definitely not the former.

Colgate at Syracuse Colgate And now, I shall close with a reading from Pearson, A Roar From the Valley:

Chapel was mandatory [in 1925]; after the religious segment everyone would stay seated for a pep rally, which was perhaps no less mandatory. On one of those occasions preceding a Syracuse game, Dean William H. Crawshaw, a noted scholar and wonderful speaker, delivered a few words at the close of the religious ceremony. When he started to step down from the podium, signifying the beginning of the pep rally, everyone began chanting, "Craw, Craw, Craw!" The chanting of his nickname continuing unabated in spite of his reluctance to speak. He finally turned, walked slowly back to the podium, and raised his arm in a clenched-fist salute. The chapel fell silent. He said simply, "Syracusa delenda est!" (Syracuse must be destroyed!) The place went wild.
So shall it be written, so shall it be done. My (and no doubt Dean Crawshaw's) apologies to Cato the Elder.

carney2
August 29th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I forgot about them.

Oh so easy to do.

carney2
August 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM
talk it up now Carney, come late November you will be singing a different tune

Ah, yes, November's song. We sing and dance as turkeys and mythical ChickenSquawks are devoured with glee.

Lehigh'98
August 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Let there be football. There shall now be football, and it is good :)

Happy to be back for another round of Patriot League Pick 'em. Missed last season for personal and professional reasons, but I'm back and ready for another great run xthumbsupx

Friday
Lafayette at Central Connecticut State Lafayette An intriguing match-up between two programs that have seen better days. I learned long ago that Lafayette is the team to never bet for or against if I can help it. Taking a league-mate in Week 1, with no confidence either way. Pards haven't had a winning campaign since 2009, and they definitely don't get to one without a win in New Britain. Or maybe they do.

Saturday
Fordham at Navy Navy The Rams reached new heights a year ago at West Point, grabbing the first FBS win for the League in over a decade. Now they look to take the next step against the next academy. Unfortunately for the Rams, the Middies are in a different class from Army, even without the newest member of the Baltimore Ravens. Fordham has the offense to make this interesting, but I'm not sure they can keep up over the full game.

Monmouth at Lehigh Lehigh I think the PL hawks deserve a little more confidence coming into this season then they've been getting compared to Colgate and Fordham, especially given they get both at home. But that is for later in the year. This weekend, it's about hosting a middling Monmouth team. The beach Hawks got their first win against the Mountain Hawks back in 2014, but if Lehigh is as good as I think they can be, this is a game they should pull away and win.

Davidson at Georgetown Georgetown Rob Sgarlata deserves plenty of credit for the work he's done so far, but it's not hard to wonder what the next step will be, or even if there can/will be one for the Hoyas. The first step, though, is beating up on the Wildcats, a team they have handled as of late. Davidson has been dreadful, and the Hoyas should be able to expect a win here.

Holy Cross at Morgan State Holy Cross These two played a tight one back in 2014, a season that saw the Bears best 6 wins for the first time since 2002. I think the Crusaders are better than that 4-7 side from 2014, but is that going to be enough in Worcester? There are tales of talented players joining Pujals in purple, and the time is now to make a move, if not to the top, at least to 7 wins again. I'm always hesitant to read much into the season opener, but a big win could go a long way to building confidence for this program.

Bucknell at Marist Bucknell 12 years and running for the Bison and Red Foxes, the rivalry no one saw coming. This has gone from a tight game that the Bison almost always pulled out to a much more comfortable pair of shutouts. My question is not can the Foxes win but can they score (2 straight shutouts for the Bison defense)? If the Bison are the dark horse contender people seem to think they are, I say yes to the latter, but definitely not the former.

Colgate at Syracuse Colgate And now, I shall close with a reading from Pearson, A Roar From the Valley:

So shall it be written, so shall it be done. My (and no doubt Dean Crawshaw's) apologies to Cato the Elder.

Has the PL ever gone 6-1 in week 1 before. I would bet big $ we have not, but I haven't a clue. Great line about Syracuse!

bluefish
August 29th, 2016, 07:34 PM
The early OOC games are like going to the doctor for a routine check up. No big deal until you find out that they are checking your temperature with a big rectal thermometer.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2016, 07:42 PM
ValleyRaider,

Just a note; Fordham beat Temple in 2013....

ngineer
August 29th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Must say Coach Coen was the most optimistic at this past week's Steak Fry as I have seen him in the past. Shafnisky bubbling with enthusiasm. If our defense plays "respectable" we could have a banner year, knocking wood for health. The other concern is the punting game as consistency has not shown its face as yet. We have been blessed with some very good punters in recent years and they can do wonders for your defense. Hopefully, if the "O" is as good as advertised, this won't be an issue.

RichH2
August 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Must say Coach Coen was the most optimistic at this past week's Steak Fry as I have seen him in the past. Shafnisky bubbling with enthusiasm. If our defense plays "respectable" we could have a banner year, knocking wood for health. The other concern is the punting game as consistency has not shown its face as yet. We have been blessed with some very good punters in recent years and they can do wonders for your defense. Hopefully, if the "O" is as good as advertised, this won't be an issue.

Its been a while since we've seen unbridled enthusiasm from Andy. Last time I recall we had a pretty fair year :) :)

TheValleyRaider
August 29th, 2016, 09:28 PM
ValleyRaider,

Just a note; Fordham beat Temple in 2013....

I knew I'd get something wrong there. Of course you would remember... ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2016, 09:39 PM
My tickets arrived today!! It's almost nice to return to Fisher Field. Although, I could get use to this every 4 year Olympic schedule from a parking standpoint...

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14203252_1265123186853443_3709074721227113478_n.jp g?oh=a7498e3b2a1a5f775dfbab51ce7b061f&oe=583F0E42

Sader87
August 29th, 2016, 09:57 PM
You know we coulda been in the Big East, right????? xdrunkyx

RichH2
August 29th, 2016, 11:12 PM
You know we coulda been in the Big East, right????? xdrunkyx

Thanks :) The crew is assembled. Enjoy OOC, I get to root for all of us .

bonarae
August 30th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Friday, September 2nd:
COLGATE @ Syracuse

Saturday, September 3rd:
FORDHAM @ Navy
Monmouth @ LEHIGH
Davidson @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ Marist

KillaBee
August 30th, 2016, 08:36 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LEOPARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

since it's non conference games.. I wish the best to all Patriot league teams...

Im predicting a victory for the leopards by 45!!!!!!! You can bet the House!!!!!!!!!!!

carney2
August 30th, 2016, 09:51 AM
After more drama than most expected, Coach Tavani has named Drew Reed the starting QB on Friday over fellow senior Blake Searfoss. Tavani hints that each will have a short leash and needs to produce. Do not, however, expect a two QB rotation from Frank Tavani. Word is that both Reed and Searfoss have looked sharp in the preseason and it was a close call,

Captains have been named and, for the first time in my memory, there are four. Three are from the defense where there are high expectations: Collin Albershardt, DE; Draeland James, S; and Matt Rothrock, DT. From the offense we have Connor Staudle, OL. Rothrock is injured (partially torn ligament in his foot) and will not play in the opener at CCSU.

Tavani says that the injury situation isn't too bad, but he is missing one starting offensive lineman (senior, Nick Zataveski, who suffered a knee injury that was ameliorated by the fact that he was wearing a knee brace) and one starting defensive lineman (Rothrock). This, of course, compares to 2015 when there were 20 players not available for the opener against William & Mary.

Tavani does not see the CCSU game as a "must win" situation. He is more concerned about how they play and what it says about the next three months.

carney2
August 30th, 2016, 10:21 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LEOPARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

since it's non conference games.. I wish the best to all Patriot league teams...

Im predicting a victory for the leopards by 45!!!!!!! You can bet the House!!!!!!!!!!!

The Killa of many houses has spoken. Ya just gotta love his unrestrained mania. You will rarely agree with him, but he'll leave you smiling every time he posts.

LUHawker
August 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM
After more drama than most expected, Coach Tavani has named Drew Reed the starting QB on Friday over fellow senior Blake Searfoss. Tavani hints that each will have a short leash and needs to produce. Do not, however, expect a two QB rotation from Frank Tavani. Word is that both Reed and Searfoss have looked sharp in the preseason and it was a close call,

Captains have been named and, for the first time in my memory, there are four. Three are from the defense where there are high expectations: Collin Albershardt, DE; Draeland James, S; and Matt Rothrock, DT. From the offense we have Connor Staudle, OL. Rothrock is injured (partially torn ligament in his foot) and will not play in the opener at CCSU.

Tavani says that the injury situation isn't too bad, but he is missing one starting offensive lineman (senior, Nick Zataveski, who suffered a knee injury that was ameliorated by the fact that he was wearing a knee brace) and one starting defensive lineman (Rothrock). This, of course, compares to 2015 when there were 20 players not available for the opener against William & Mary.

Tavani does not see the CCSU game as a "must win" situation. He is more concerned about how they play and what it says about the next three months.

Tavani won the one "must-win" game at the 150th. Anything else seems to be gravy right now. Even for me a 1-10 Lafayette and 6 straight losing seasons is bad for the quality of the rivalry.

Franks Tanks
August 30th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Tavani won the one "must-win" game at the 150th. Anything else seems to be gravy right now. Even for me a 1-10 Lafayette and 6 straight losing seasons is bad for the quality of the rivalry.

With Bruce in charge nothing is a must win.

The current state of the program will continue for as long as Frank is there. The win totals may change a bit, and the Pards may win some big games, but the core is rotten. The team will continue to be mistake prone and inconsistent. They will continue to underperform and drive us all crazy. The only thing consistent with Frank is his inconsistency.

I really hope we can beat CCSU, but I wont be shocked is the Pards get beat by 35. I do think you will see plenty of penalties, missed assingments and just junk that goes beyond the normal 1st game issues for most teams.

Fordham
August 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Word is that we are without all PL level guys in DE Crook and LB Thorpe to injury. Could be a long day in Annapolis for the Rams.

KillaBee
August 30th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Squaker.. you have no idea what gravy taste like.. Chickenhawks eat chickens.I doubt you will.BET THE HOUSE against the Monmouth HAWKS.......

Fordhamanhattan
August 30th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Like the Spotted Ones up in New Britain 24-10
See big upset with Tootpaste Boys shocking the Orange 38-32
Fordham offense sinks Navy whose new offense turns the ball over much too often 45-35
The erstwhile Engineers defend their home turf 32-23
Christy's Boys easily over Bill O'Reilly's Boys 34-10
The Cross easily over Howard 54-21

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Like the Spotted Ones up in New Britain 24-10
See big upset with Tootpaste Boys shocking the Orange 38-32
Fordham offense sinks Navy whose new offense turns the ball over much too often 45-35
The erstwhile Engineers defend their home turf 32-23
Christy's Boys easily over Bill O'Reilly's Boys 34-10
The Cross easily over Howard 54-21

Your Georgetown pick?

crusader11
August 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Has the PL ever gone 6-1 in week 1 before. I would bet big $ we have not, but I haven't a clue. Great line about Syracuse!

2008 got off to a good start:

Drake University
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Lehigh.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Lehigh

12:30 PM
Bethlehem, Pa.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/site/site.png?s.grayscale=true&mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Massachusetts
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Holy-Cross.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Holy Cross

1:00 PM
Worcester, Mass.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/site/site.png?s.grayscale=true&mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Duquesne
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/bucknell_logo.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Bucknell

6:00 PM
Lewisburg, Pa.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Lafayette.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Lafayette
MARIST

Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

SUNDAY9.7.08FOOTBALL

Rhode Island
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Fordham.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Fordham

12:00 PM
Bronx, N.Y.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Georgetown.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Georgetown
HOWARD

Washington, D.C.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Colgate_.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Colgate
Coastal Carolina

Fordhamanhattan
August 30th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Bill Clinton's Boys over Brian Adrian's Alma Mater 24-16

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 04:38 PM
2008 got off to a good start:

Drake University
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Lehigh.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Lehigh

12:30 PM
Bethlehem, Pa.

Massachusetts
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Holy-Cross.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Holy Cross

Worcester, Mass.

Duquesne
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/bucknell_logo.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Bucknell

Lewisburg, Pa.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Lafayette.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Lafayette
MARIST

Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

SUNDAY9.7.08FOOTBALL

Rhode Island
http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Fordham.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Fordham

12:00 PM
Bronx, N.Y.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Georgetown.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Georgetown
HOWARD

Washington, D.C.

http://patriotleague.com/images/logos/Colgate_.png?mode=crop&width=28&height=28&paddingWidth=5
Colgate
Coastal Carolina

Wow, that was a helluva start. Didnt realize we had it in us. Thanks for the research Crusader

crusader11
August 30th, 2016, 04:44 PM
And it could have been a perfect week had HC eked it out against UMass...one of the most entertaining football games I've ever witnessed in person.

It should be known that Colgate lost to Stony Brook the week prior -- they were the only PL team in action that weekend.

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Colgate
Coastal Carolina

Ahh yes, the game that saw Biddle pass Andy Kerr for the school wins record. And it ended like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MccRP8YqrNM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MccRP8YqrNM)

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2016, 05:58 PM

I would say that is a very fair statement, hopefully the beat em

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM
what kind of crowd are the Leopards expecting for the BlueHen game ? is the local populace of Easton all worked up about Delaware paying a visit? the Hen fans are complaining about only one home game in September and only 5 for the year, I don't know when the last time that happened.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Fordham and Ball State agree to play in 2019. Nothing too exciting about this one imo. Colgate played them two years ago. If nothing else, Muncie is located near some great golf courses.....

Bill
August 30th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Fordham and Ball State agree to play in 2019. Nothing too exciting about this one imo. Colgate played them two years ago. If nothing else, Muncie is located near some great golf courses.....

Agreed. Any PL game vs. Ball State would have been interesting when Pete was coaching BSU, though!

carney2
August 30th, 2016, 09:53 PM
With Bruce in charge nothing is a must win.

The current state of the program will continue for as long as Frank is there. The win totals may change a bit, and the Pards may win some big games, but the core is rotten. The team will continue to be mistake prone and inconsistent. They will continue to underperform and drive us all crazy. The only thing consistent with Frank is his inconsistency.

I really hope we can beat CCSU, but I wont be shocked is the Pards get beat by 35. I do think you will see plenty of penalties, missed assingments and just junk that goes beyond the normal 1st game issues for most teams.

Tanks and I are in the same boat, pulling the same oars. We differ on one subtle point however. F'sTs thinks that Tavani is the problem. I think that Tavani is merely a symptom of the problem. Either way, his continued occupancy of the corner office in Bourger Varsity House is an impediment to progress.

carney2
August 30th, 2016, 09:59 PM
what kind of crowd are the Leopards expecting for the BlueHen game ? is the local populace of Easton all worked up about Delaware paying a visit? the Hen fans are complaining about only one home game in September and only 5 for the year, I don't know when the last time that happened.

Think! The Leopards have had six consecutive losing seasons and are coming off a 1-10 season. How worked up do you really think anyone, besides maybe KillaBee, is at this point? If, as I believe, you are worried about ticket availability, don't. Delaware, East Stroudsburg State, or Notre Dame, it won't make much difference on the home side of the field. If there's a push for tickets it will come from Delaware people, and you would know that better than anyone in Easton.

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Think! The Leopards have had six consecutive losing seasons and are coming off a 1-10 season. How worked up do you really think anyone, besides maybe KillaBee, is at this point? If, as I believe, you are worried about ticket availability, don't. Delaware, East Stroudsburg State, or Notre Dame, it won't make much difference on the home side of the field. If there's a push for tickets it will come from Delaware people, and you would know that better than anyone in Easton.

whoa, ten losses last year, I didn't know that. Yea, I admit I'm not up to speed on the attendance figures for Laffy games, all I can really remember about last years game is that it was a monsoon and all the fans left, some Delaware fans behind the Leopards bench were having a great time with some cheers and your coach called security... haha, what a turd

ngineer
August 30th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Tanks and I are in the same boat, pulling the same oars. We differ on one subtle point however. F'sTs thinks that Tavani is the problem. I think that Tavani is merely a symptom of the problem. Either way, his continued occupancy of the corner office in Bourger Varsity House is an impediment to progress.

Yes, I cannot imagine Lehigh putting up with the same coach for 6 straight losing seasons in two sports: wrestling and football. The natives were restless enough when Andy had three seasons of 5-6, 5-6 and 4-7.