PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS Rivalry games(s) outside of your own would you love to attend?

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
For me I would want to go check out Montana State v Montana in Missoula
Harvard v Yale
The Rivalry (Lehigh–Lafayette)
The Aggie-Eagle Classic(North Carolina A&T vs NC Central)

UNIFanSince1983
August 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Those are some great options. My top two are:

Harvard v Yale at the Bowl
Montana v Montana St in Missoula

1992Bison
August 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
For me I would want to go check out Montana State v Montana in Missoula
Harvard v Yale
The Rivalry (Lehigh–Lafayette)
The Aggie-Eagle Classic(North Carolina A&T vs NC Central)

For me it would be Griz vs Bobcats in Missoula

Go Green
August 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Harvard-Yale.

Always the same day as Dartmouth-Princeton, and I ain't missing that. :)

Thumper 76
August 12th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Harvard-Yale
Montana-Montana State
Lehigh-Lafayette

KPSUL
August 12th, 2016, 09:16 AM
This season I'm going to: JMU @ Richmond; JMU's chance at revenge after the Spiders ruined their ESPN "Gameday" debutant ball last season. JSU @ Liberty, not exactly an established rivalry, but an interesting OOC game in a stadium with a big home-field advantage. And last but not least, whoever vs NDSU in their home away from home in Frisco, TX. I couldn't care less about Harvard vs Yale.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 12th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I would like to see NDSU vs UNI or NDSU vs SDSU

I love that so many are picking the annual Bobcat funeral!xsmiley_wix

TheKingpin28
August 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Brawl of the Wild at Washington-Grizzly
The Game at The Bowl
Bayou Classic at Superdome

JSUSoutherner
August 12th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Probably UNI vs. NDSU in Fargo.

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I would love to see Jacksonville State/Troy again!

LUHawker
August 12th, 2016, 09:36 AM
W&M vs. Richmond
Montana vs. Montana St.

JSUSoutherner
August 12th, 2016, 09:36 AM
I would love to see Jacksonville State/Troy again!
Yeah, us too.

Unfortunately their move to Ye Mighty Sunbelt has made them too prestigious for us to kick their butt again. So they won't schedule us.xcoffeex

I said it in another thread on here the other day but it would be nice if we could get another in state D1 team to play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I missed "The Brawl" the 3 years I lived in Bozeman. I would fly back for Lehigh-Lafayette/Thanksgiving the Friday before. One day I'll get to it..

Harvard-Yale is the other one I'd love to see.

The biggest issue is a lot of these games fall on the same day as Lehigh-Lafayette. When you grow up in a LU house that game is above all. This year will be my 20th straight and 23rd overall...

Go Green
I couldn't care less about Harvard vs Yale.

Given that the outcome of The Game has been as predictable as Army vs. Navy for the past half-generation, there are probably others that share your opinion.

Grizalltheway

Yeah, I could have sworn this thread was about rivalries...

ASU33
Yeah, us too.

Unfortunately their move to Ye Mighty Sunbelt has made them too prestigious for us to kick their butt again. So they won't schedule us.xcoffeex

I said it in another thread on here the other day but it would be nice if we could get another in state D1 team to play.

JSU would've absolutely curb stomped Troy these last few years. We got em next season so that'll be VERY interesting. Our coach has a history of beating instate G5 schools from his days at Bethune-Cookman.

KPSUL
August 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Given that the outcome of The Game has been as predictable as Army vs. Navy for the past half-generation, there are probably others that share your opinion.

Of course I'll be at the UNH @ Dartmouth game this season. It's too bad there is not anything else scheduled near future. We may have reached point where we could have a real rivalry, instead of one team winning 20 in a row followed by the other winning 20 in a row.

RichH2
August 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Harvard Yale is my pick. I never have and never will unless that game or Lehigh-Lafayette were to be moved.

JSUSoutherner
August 12th, 2016, 10:01 AM
JSU would've absolutely curb stomped Troy these last few years. We got em next season so that'll be VERY interesting. Our coach has a history of beating instate G5 schools from his days at Bethune-Cookman.
Yeah.

Troy knows we would kill them.

UAB and Bill Clark couldn't afford to lose to us. It would look really REALLY bad for them.

USA would be interesting but we've never played them.

Samford hasn't played us outside the playoffs in almost 10 years. Not sure what the deal is there. We use to play them all the time and reviving that series would be AWESOME.

ASU would be fun the have in Jacksonville.

Auburn's probably still in shock and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't answer our calls for 10 years.

And obviously Bama won't schedule because they are the only team in the state and Roll ****ing Tide.

Sammy94
August 12th, 2016, 10:06 AM
And obviously Bama won't schedule because they are the only team in the state and Roll ****ing Tide.

Plus Jax St fans would have a really hard time figuring out who to root for.

Montana/Montana St would be mine.

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 12th, 2016, 10:10 AM

It's even better since most are specifying they want to see the game in Missoula.

RootinFerDukes
August 12th, 2016, 10:16 AM
This season I'm going to: JMU @ Richmond; JMU's chance at revenge after the Spiders ruined their ESPN "Gameday" debutant ball last season. JSU @ Liberty, not exactly an established rivalry, but an interesting OOC game in a stadium with a big home-field advantage. And last but not least, whoever vs NDSU in their home away from home in Frisco, TX. I couldn't care less about Harvard vs Yale.

UR said that their motivation going into our game day game last year was us embarrassing them at home in 2014, 55-20. The largest margin of victory for either side in the rivalry I believe. It's one revenge after another. I do think the Dukes will have a chip on their shoulder going against them this season and will look to make it two straight embarrassments in the breadbox.

RootinFerDukes
August 12th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I would like to see UR/WM at WM because 11k is more than 8k if my math is correct. I'd like to see UM/UNH at UNH and VU/UD at UD. I like bigger stadiums and bigger crowds. Sue me.

JSUSoutherner
August 12th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Plus Jax St fans would have a really hard time figuring out who to root for.

Montana/Montana St would be mine.

The sad part is you're not wrong.

Our bookstore sells these SGA T shirts and just in case JSU colors aren't your thing they also offer them in Auburn and Bama colors....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23203&stc=1

I'm also pretty sure our Wal-Mart has no clue who we even are. I've seen Jackson State crap in there a few times. One time they even had SEMO gear...

BEAR
August 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Harvard/Yale
SHSU/SFA
Montana/Montana State

WileECoyote06
August 12th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana State
Magic City Classic Alabama A&M vs Alabama State
Florida Classic Florida A&M vs Bethune-Cookman
Norfolk State vs Hampton

SU DOG
August 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Our bookstore sells these SGA T shirts and just in case JSU colors aren't your thing they also offer them in Auburn and Bama colors....

I'm also pretty sure our Wal-Mart has no clue who we even are. I've seen Jackson State crap in there a few times. One time they even had SEMO gear...

+1 Sadly in this state if you're not UA or AU, you are in some sort of insignificant division that is NOT D-1. Samford kids, especially coeds, don't want to miss a party in T-Town or Auburn on a football week-end. These scenarios are so unfair to the players at JSU, Samford, and several other programs. I don't think fans of schools in other states can possibly imagine the unfortunate situation that exists here.

SU DOG
August 12th, 2016, 11:29 AM
To follow up on my previous post, I think that JSU and Samford have both taken some steps to help alleviate these problems. They still exist, but are not unsurmountable obstacles. The Auburn Game last year has really helped the Gamecocks' image. Samford now has put FIVE players in the NFL in the last 4 years, some were higher draft picks than any Auburn player for those years. We also had a former NFL Pro Bowler play in the Super Bowl last year who retired after the season. Hopefully FCS is slowly gaining some degree of respect in this state.

As for my pick to follow the thread I would love to see NDSU vs UNI in either venue.

uni88
August 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
+1 Sadly in this state if you're not UA or AU, you are in some sort of insignificant division that is NOT D-1. Samford kids, especially coeds, don't want to miss a party in T-Town or Auburn on a football week-end. These scenarios are so unfair to the players at JSU, Samford, and several other programs. I don't think fans of schools in other states can possibly imagine the unfortunate situation that exists here.

I can imagine it but to a lesser degree. Iowa and Iowa State have similar roles in the state of Iowa as Alabama and Auburn do in Alabama. The fanbase isn't as rabid but it's similar enough for me to understand how it feels.

For me it's:
- Montana/Montana St at WaGriz (I need to see a game there and that would be my 2nd choice after UNI/Montana - hopefully that will happen in 2018).
- Lehigh/Lafayette
- Grambling/Southern
- Harvard/Yale

A couple of Falls spent traveling the country going to classic college football games is on my bucket list.

BEAR
August 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Nope. No idea. xlolx

Inside the state of Arkansas, the University of Arkansas has continued to maintain the policy of not competing against other in-state Division I schools.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks#cite_note-19)[20] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks#cite_note-20)

Let's add to the fact that every major channel in the state has their own Razorback segments even when they aren't razorbacks.

http://katv.com/sports/hog-central/more

I'd say the coverage of ASU, UCA, and UAPB equals 5% of the media coverage.

In a bad year, which happens quite often, they bring up the 1964 shared national title..over and over.

Radio shows that call themselves sports talk shows only speak about the pigs.

I could go on and on about a failing program that doesn't belong in the SEC and refuses to even associate with other instate division I programs.

But I only focus on the FCS and my program. Huck the Fogs.

NY Crusader 2010
August 12th, 2016, 12:17 PM
1) NDSU vs. UNI
2) Montana vs. Montana State
3) Harvard-Yale
4) VMI vs. The Citadel
5) Villanova-Delaware

Sader87
August 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I wish we still had a football rival.......:(

DFW HOYA
August 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
1) Harvard-Yale
2) VMI -The Citadel
3) Richmond-William & Mary
4) SFA-SHSU
5) Holy Cross-Boston College xchinscratchx

ST_Lawson
August 12th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Like most have mentioned, "The Game" (Harvard/Yale) is a classic, even it it hasn't been very competitive in a while. Same with the Brawl of the Wild (Montana/Montana State)...both would be fun to just experience once.

I think the Battle of Piney Woods (SFA/SHSU) and the Military Classic of the South (El Cid/VMI) would be pretty cool as well. And the more recent NDSU/UNI "rivalry" has been super-competitive lately.

Makes me wish we had an actual rivalry with someone at our school. Not sure if there's just not enough animosity between us and any other one team to have one.

One game that I need to get up to see sometime isn't FCS...it's actually DIII...the Bronze Turkey Bowl between Monmouth College and Knox College: https://www.knox.edu/news/news-archive/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-turkey-bowl
They're ~17 miles apart and both are within an hour of Macomb.

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Yeah.

Troy knows we would kill them.

UAB and Bill Clark couldn't afford to lose to us. It would look really REALLY bad for them.

USA would be interesting but we've never played them.

Samford hasn't played us outside the playoffs in almost 10 years. Not sure what the deal is there. We use to play them all the time and reviving that series would be AWESOME.

ASU would be fun the have in Jacksonville.

Auburn's probably still in shock and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't answer our calls for 10 years.

I'm hoping we can come to Jacksonville soon. I really enjoy playing you guys.

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana State
Magic City Classic Alabama A&M vs Alabama State
Florida Classic Florida A&M vs Bethune-Cookman
Norfolk State vs Hampton

C'mon down!

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 01:48 PM
To follow up on my previous post, I think that JSU and Samford have both taken some steps to help alleviate these problems. They still exist, but are not unsurmountable obstacles. The Auburn Game last year has really helped the Gamecocks' image. Samford now has put FIVE players in the NFL in the last 4 years, some were higher draft picks than any Auburn player for those years. We also had a former NFL Pro Bowler play in the Super Bowl last year who retired after the season. Hopefully FCS is slowly gaining some degree of respect in this state.

As for my pick to follow the thread I would love to see NDSU vs UNI in either venue.

I cant lie. I feel bad for Samford when you guys have a home game on the day of the Magic City Classic. The local Birmingham tv media is all Magic City Classic all week, plus the usual Bama/Auburn stuff that has to be frustrating for a quality program like Samford.

SU DOG
August 12th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I cant lie. I feel bad for Samford when you guys have a home game on the day of the Magic City Classic. The local Birmingham tv media is all Magic City Classic all week, plus the usual Bama/Auburn stuff that has to be frustrating for a quality program like Samford.

Sept. 1, 1990 Samford vs Alabama State @ Legion Field Final: Samford 24 ASU 24
Oct. 19, 1991 Samford vs Alabama State @ Crampton Bowl Final: Samford 28 ASU 31 - FG by Jacques Cothern on the final play of the game. Other heroes for ASU were "Downtown Reggie Brown" and Ricky Jones. ASU was ranked #7 after this game, and Samford went all the way to the national semi-finals of the Playoffs.
Seems to me that rivalry should have continued.

ASU33
August 12th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Sept. 1, 1990 Samford vs Alabama State @ Legion Field Final: Samford 24 ASU 24
Oct. 19, 1991 Samford vs Alabama State @ Crampton Bowl Final: Samford 28 ASU 31 - FG by Jacques Cothern on the final play of the game. Other heroes for ASU were "Downtown Reggie Brown" and Ricky Jones. ASU was ranked #7 after this game, and Samford went all the way to the national semi-finals of the Playoffs.
Seems to me that rivalry should have continued.

I agree 100%.

slostang
August 12th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Montana - Montana State
Harvard - Yale
UC Davis - Sac State
NDSU - UND
Grambling - Southern

geaux_sioux
August 12th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Without a doubt NDSU vs Delaware.

Go...gate
August 12th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Harvard - Yale
Lafayette - Lehigh
Villanova - Delaware

Ivytalk
August 12th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Montana-Montana State
Lafayette-Lehigh
Furman-Wofford
Grambling-Southern
UNI -Youngstown

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 12th, 2016, 09:37 PM
1- Brawl of the Wild, if only because it has the greatest name.
2- ND State v South Dakota State.
3- UD v Villanova.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 12th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I would like to see UR/WM at WM because 11k is more than 8k if my math is correct. I'd like to see UM/UNH at UNH and VU/UD at UD. I like bigger stadiums and bigger crowds. Sue me.

I would sue you but I know you're just another pimple faced 25 year old JMU supporter with no assets worth acquiring like the rest of your fanbase.

I'd suggest that I'd like to attend the Madison Women's College of Harrisonburg's rivalry game but they really have no rival. Is Morehead State your rival at this point, considering the volume of contests?

Sitting Bull
August 12th, 2016, 09:48 PM
With Zable renovation, capacity will now be near 13,000.

RootinFerDukes
August 12th, 2016, 09:53 PM
With Zable renovation, capacity will now be near 13,000.

Thanks. Then 13k is definitely more than a "sold out" 8k. I'm sure zable will be nicer than that glorified high school track facility which is why I'd rather see it there. If only I could break myself away from the Harrisonburg women's college games to go see those spatters get splattered.

uni88
August 12th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Like most have mentioned, "The Game" (Harvard/Yale) is a classic, even it it hasn't been very competitive in a while. Same with the Brawl of the Wild (Montana/Montana State)...both would be fun to just experience once.

I think the Battle of Piney Woods (SFA/SHSU) and the Military Classic of the South (El Cid/VMI) would be pretty cool as well. And the more recent NDSU/UNI "rivalry" has been super-competitive lately.

Makes me wish we had an actual rivalry with someone at our school. Not sure if there's just not enough animosity between us and any other one team to have one.

One game that I need to get up to see sometime isn't FCS...it's actually DIII...the Bronze Turkey Bowl between Monmouth College and Knox College: https://www.knox.edu/news/news-archive/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-turkey-bowl
They're ~17 miles apart and both are within an hour of Macomb.

I grew up down Hwy 136 from Macomb and more people from my HS class went to WIU than UNI so for me that's a rivalry. And my brother played for Knox so I've actually seen that game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 12th, 2016, 10:26 PM
If only I could break myself away from the Harrisonburg women's college games.

Glad you're accepting your heritage. A big step.

dewey
August 12th, 2016, 10:38 PM
For me it is The Montana Grizzlies beating Montana State Bobcats in Missoula and then the next year watching Montana beat Montana State in Bozeman.

I would also add;
SDSU vs USD
Sam Houston State vs Stephen F Austin

Go Griz!

Go Bison!

Dewey

ST_Lawson
August 12th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I grew up down Hwy 136 from Macomb and more people from my HS class went to WIU than UNI so for me that's a rivalry. And my brother played for Knox so I've actually seen that game.

Awesome. I like to consider UNI something of a rivalry, although it seems like a lot of people at UNI don't really since they've had more success overall in football and (obviously) a lot more success in basketball. We're kinda seen as "beneath" them.

Twentysix
August 13th, 2016, 02:59 AM
Probably Yale-Harvard @ Yale.
I never went to the Yale Bowl the whole time I studied there. I always kind of wanted too, but I was always ridiculously busy.

The Brawl @ Wa Griz

NDSU v UNI needs a trophy. I mean it doesn't, but it should have one. Something stupid, like a corn cob.

The Dakota Marker is a game that everyone in the FCS should see/want to see. It is quite something while being pretty friendly overall.

Twentysix
August 13th, 2016, 03:04 AM

The NDSU section in one of the Fargo Wal-Marts has Oregon and Marshall **** hung in with the NDSU stuff. They are all the same color (the clothing items).

KPSUL
August 13th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks. Then 13k is definitely more than a "sold out" 8k. I'm sure zable will be nicer than that glorified high school track facility which is why I'd rather see it there. If only I could break myself away from the Harrisonburg women's college games to go see those spatters get splattered.

Actually, I just purchased a ticket to JMU @ Richmond yesterday, they are just about sold out. If the collegial feelings of you two guys are any indication, it should be fun!

RootinFerDukes
August 13th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Glad you're accepting your heritage. A big step.

If only I owned five red sweater vests.

catamount man
August 13th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Brawl of the wild or NDSU-Northern Iowa.

CHIP72
August 13th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Slightly OT, but even though the Midshipmen have dominated the Army/Navy series for the last decade and a half, the Army/Navy game is a game that really is worth going to at least once, even if you have no rooting interest in either team. I can honestly say that I probably have less interest in the service academies' football programs than most people, but decided to check out the Army/Navy game last season for the hell of it (in large part because the Eagles were hosting the Bills the next day at the same venue, Lincoln Financial Field, and had planned for a few months to attend the Bills/Eagles game). The excellent, unseasonably warm December weather helped, as did the fact last year's game was close and competitive, but the activities before and during the Army/Navy game really are worth seeing at least once. And I can honestly say that prior to about early 2015, I had zero interest in attending the Army/Navy game; now I want to attend this year's game in nearby Baltimore.

VikingPSU
August 13th, 2016, 09:39 PM
I saw this good list here from 2003 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?8369-Trophy-Games-Rivalry-Games&p=167332&viewfull=1#post167332

bulldog10jw
August 13th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Like most have mentioned, "The Game" (Harvard/Yale) is a classic, even it it hasn't been very competitive in a while.

While Yale has lost 14 out of 15, several have been competitive.

2002, 2005 (triple OT), 2009, 2010, and 2014 were all decided by a TD or less and it can be said that Yale outplayed Harvard in 3 of those games. At least in my mind, that's a little bit competitive.

dewey
August 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM
NDSU v UNI needs a trophy. I mean it doesn't, but it should have one. Something stupid, like a corn cob.

There is a trophy for the winner. The Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship trophy:D

Dewey

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2016, 10:14 PM
There is a trophy for the winner. The Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship trophy:D

Dewey

Sometimes..... xlolx

dewey
August 13th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Sometimes..... xlolx

I am sure Clenz can chime in with stats but to me it is either NDSU or UNI for the MVFC championship trophy. Dating like the way back to....2008 I guess. Or back to the old NCC days.

Dewey

BisonFan02
August 13th, 2016, 10:58 PM
I am sure Clenz can chime in with stats but to me it is either NDSU or UNI for the MVFC championship trophy. Dating like the way back to....2008 I guess. Or back to the old NCC days.

Dewey

NDSU lost to UNI in 2014 and ended up sharing the conference title with ISUr. That was the point about winning the "trophy". xthumbsupx

longtimemocfan
August 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Would have to say UNI vs NDSU.

BisonFan02
August 14th, 2016, 09:04 AM
and I'm still sitting here waiting for a UNI fan to tell me that NDSU isn't their actual rival. :D xlolx

JayJ79
August 14th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Rivalries adapt and change.
Some teams that are rivals now weren't necessarily 5-7 years ago.
Some teams that were rivals 5-7 years ago aren't necessarily now.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Montana vs Montana State at Wash Griz
NDSU vs SDSU in Brookings

Sorry, but the Yale and Harvard game has no appeal.

Thumper 76
August 14th, 2016, 11:46 AM
NDSU vs SDSU in Brookings

That's gunna get some bison panties in a bunch xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McNeese75
August 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM

Meh, not a fan of domes :D

Hell, let's play it on Hobo day as well

Thumper 76
August 14th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Meh, not a fan of domes :D

Hell, let's play it on Hobo day as well

Agree completely. I'd rather have McNeese again for Hobo Day, revenge is necessary after the last epic game! Besides, the Marker Game is sold out regardless of when it's played, no need to add Hobo Day craziness to it!

McNeese75
August 14th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Agree completely. I'd rather have McNeese again for Hobo Day, revenge is necessary after the last epic game! Besides, the Marker Game is sold out regardless of when it's played, no need to add Hobo Day craziness to it!

If it ever happens, I will be there again buying shots at Skinners.

Thumper 76
August 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM
If it ever happens, I will be there again buying shots at Skinners.

Well then, I will be there to have some with you sir!

BisonFan02
August 14th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Would have gotten alot more argument out of me pre-renovation. I'm not upset about it now. xlolx

BisonTru
August 14th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Meh, I'm kinda excited to get down there next year and see the new place. I hate when we have to go to say Indiana St and you watch guys watching the game in their pickups like we're playing at some high school. Plus if anyone wants to come up for that game it's going to be a lot easier to get tickets if it's @SDSU compared to @NDSU.

Thumper 76
August 14th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Meh, I'm kinda excited to get down there next year and see the new place. I hate when we have to go to say Indiana St and you watch guys watching the game in their pickups like we're playing at some high school. Plus if anyone wants to come up for that game it's going to be a lot easier to get tickets if it's @SDSU compared to @NDSU.

Well yeah, there's more seats at SDSU ;) xlolx

dewey
August 14th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Well yeah, there's more seats at SDSU ;) xlolx

A lot more empty seats on non NDSU gamesxlolx

Dewey

Laker
August 14th, 2016, 03:20 PM
NDSU-SDSU. How times have changed. UND-NDSU used to be the biggest rivalry in D2.

Montana-Montana State. Always made me think of FCS.

Harvard-Yale. For the history of it all.

Citadel-VMI. Sort of like the FCS version of Army-Navy. Someday the players really will be fighting.

BisonTru
August 14th, 2016, 03:26 PM
What's the most heated rivalries in the CAA?

Terry2889
August 14th, 2016, 03:53 PM

Most storied/longest would be W & M vs. Richmond. Battle of the Blue between 'Nova and Delaware is always great. UNH vs. Maine is meh lately, UNH's biggest rival was UMass prior to them bolting for the MAC. And I believe that Albany and Stony Brook have a pretty intense rivalry.

Sader87
August 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM
One of the biggah problems with PL football imo...is the lack of any "true" rivalry game outside of Lafayette-Lehigh. Holy Cross has bounced around between playing Colgate, Georgetown and Bucknell in the last game of the year ovah the past few seasons. It just makes for a season ending on a "whimpah" rather than a bang. With 7 schools, i know this makes for a logistical problem i.e. 1 school would be left out but I think more end of the season rivalry games would only help the PL.

From a HC perspective, I know the lack of such a game has hurt the ovahall support/interest in HC football....particularly with the end of the BC rivalry game. I know the BC "rivalry" was particularly one-sided ovah the last couple of decades before it ended in 1986, but it was the game you always looked forward to despite how often we won.

We've had this discussion on the HC board and the sentiment seems to be torn ovah who HC's "rivalry game" should be. One school of thought thinks it should be Colgate due to the long history of the series with the Red Raidahs. Another group feels Fordham would be the bettah choice due to institutional ties, more alums from both schools in the NYC-area etc.

ndsubison
August 14th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Geauxsioux mentioned NDSU s Delaware. An obvoius jab. Sorry bro, und and bubbaball dont rate in ND or the region. Your smack talking asses got ran out of town last time. 39-10, before Klieman took his foot off the pedal. -4yds rushing. FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. Plus, your physically inferior tough guys couldn t hold up. You guys are way soft up there. Work on it. 2019 wont be any different.

ndsubison
August 14th, 2016, 05:28 PM
On a healthier note, SDSU is supposedly our rival. The games are always close and heated (with the exception of last yrs anomoly in Btown). Most Bison fans actually like the Jacks. I know I always root for them in non-conf. They were our brothers in the DI transition. I think our true rival is UNI. Those games are nasty because we are so much alike.

JSUSoutherner
August 14th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I think JSU-UTC could become a pretty big rivalry if the games keep going the way they have been. It sure felt like a major rivalry game in the playoffs last year.

NY Crusader 2010
August 14th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Most storied/longest would be W & M vs. Richmond. Battle of the Blue between 'Nova and Delaware is always great. UNH vs. Maine is meh lately, UNH's biggest rival was UMass prior to them bolting for the MAC. And I believe that Albany and Stony Brook have a pretty intense rivalry.

William & Mary-Richmond has started to really feel like a big-time Southern rivalry again. For much of the past 25 years, at least from the perspective of someone who grew up a Tribe fan, this hasn't been the biggest game on the calendar. Richmond went a 12-year stretch where they lost every game and at many times W&M-UD, W&M-Nova and W&M-JMU have felt like greater rivalries. When UR finally started to turn things around in 2005, the Tribe were beginning their own mini-stretch of mediocrity. The Spiders had a tremendous turnaround a decade ago, going from PL/PFL rumors to hoisting the Stagg Trophy in about two and a half years. Now that the two programs have been consistently finishing in the top tier of the CAA for a few years now and are fresh off of a 2015 playoff rematch, I expect there to be a ton of juice surrounding this years game and in the seasons to come.

I expect Stony Brook-Albany to blossom into a tremendous rivalry as well -- as both settle in to the CAA and continue to raise their level of play, this could become the premier college football rivalry in New York State. All of Buffalo's divisional mates are in Ohio. Syracuse and Army, the only two legacy FBS programs in the state, haven't played in forever ('96 last I remember). The biggest college football rivalry in-state right now is probably Cortland State-Ithaca, the Battle for the Cortaga Jug.

Bisonoline
August 14th, 2016, 07:00 PM
FCS rivalry game I would like to see? I will preface this as the game isnt nearly as important as the atmosphere and tailgate and food. So I would have to go with Montana-Montana State and McNeese and who ever their rival is. Ive heard they have a great tailgate for their food.

NY Crusader 2010
August 14th, 2016, 07:03 PM
One of the biggah problems with PL football imo...is the lack of any "true" rivalry game outside of Lafayette-Lehigh. Holy Cross has bounced around between playing Colgate, Georgetown and Bucknell in the last game of the year ovah the past few seasons. It just makes for a season ending on a "whimpah" rather than a bang. With 7 schools, i know this makes for a logistical problem i.e. 1 school would be left out but I think more end of the season rivalry games would only help the PL.

From a HC perspective, I know the lack of such a game has hurt the ovahall support/interest in HC football....particularly with the end of the BC rivalry game. I know the BC "rivalry" was particularly one-sided ovah the last couple of decades before it ended in 1986, but it was the game you always looked forward to despite how often we won.

Without beating the dead and mutilated horse that is the topic of PL expansion, here is the best scenario to develop a PL "rivalry week".

Lehigh-Lafayette
Holy Cross-Fordham
Colgate-Bucknell
Georgetown-Duquesne

As far as BC goes, no FBS-FCS crossover matchups will ever develop into true rivalries at this point. It'll be great to have the Eagles on the schedule once or twice a decade moving forward but, that's all it will be. The only crossover that has even any bit of a rivalry feel to it is Villanova-Temple and I wish this game would be played every year. Navy-Delaware to an extent until Navy put a couple solid beat-downs on them more recently. Montana-Idaho played home-and-home for a while after Idaho moved up to the Big West but that fizzled when the Vandals kept losing to their FCS foe.

carney2
August 15th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Does Army-Navy count? They're both Patriot League members.

POD Knows
August 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM
On a healthier note, SDSU is supposedly our rival. The games are always close and heated (with the exception of last yrs anomoly in Btown). Most Bison fans actually like the Jacks. I know I always root for them in non-conf. They were our brothers in the DI transition. I think our true rival is UNI. Those games are nasty because we are so much alike.

Always close? We have out scored them 174 to 79 in regular season games since 2010, (I didn't include earlier games because it doesn't support my rant). We had a close playoff game with them in 2014, it was a fluke.

I hate the Jacks, I would only root for them when they play UND or somebody from the FBS. xcoffeex

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Always close? We have out scored them 174 to 79 in regular season games since 2010, (I didn't include earlier games because it doesn't support my rant). We had a close playoff game with them in 2014, it was a fluke.

I hate the Jacks, I would only root for them when they play UND or somebody from the FBS. xcoffeex

I can smell the fear. You've seen how far we've come and are scared of how much farther we can go. xcoffeex (This smack brought to you from the UXD's book of smack talk xlolx)

Don't worry, though, the feeling is mutual :D

Daytripper
August 15th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I think I would like to check out Montana-Montana St. And Bisonoline, you are correct. McNeese does a great tailgate. They have sort of turned into a secondary rivalry, but there is no hate like SHSU-SFA hate.

ASU33
August 15th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Does Army-Navy count? They're both Patriot League members.

No. But the Army-Navy game is one helluva experience. I went last year with my dad and its definitely something everyone should experience.

Tribal
August 22nd, 2016, 08:43 PM
EWU @ Roos Field. Then, I'd pack my family in a Yukon and drive up to Glacier NP for a couple days. That's a damn fine long weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ngineer
August 22nd, 2016, 09:14 PM
Harvard Yale is my pick. I never have and never will unless that game or Lehigh-Lafayette were to be moved.

Same here. My 46th L-L game coming up this year. Missed only one since 1970. But seeing the Johnnies and Eli go at it would be cool.

katstrapper
August 23rd, 2016, 05:37 AM
Harvard/Yale
SHSU/SFA
Montana/Montana State

SHSU/SFA rivalry is one of the oldest in Texas with 90+yrs of existence. Even though moving the game to Houston has increased attendance every year, I wish this rvalry would go back to the campus sites!! It was a lot more fun.

As Daytripper mentioned, there is hate , but then there is SFA/ SHSU hate..

Matt
August 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM

At this point, definitely JMU-UR. Fans hate each other, teams hate each other, and both are (almost) always good. W&M-UR is good but we've beaten them six straight time. Have a feeling that may end this year...

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 23rd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Only 2 options and I cant pick one of them

So UNI at NDSU would be cool to see again. (A distant 3rd would be SDSU NDSU)

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2016, 07:03 AM
UNI vs Iowa St or Iowa

clenz
August 24th, 2016, 08:00 AM
UNI vs Iowa St or Iowa

UNI/Iowa is a lame atmospheres I be honest.

UNI/Iowa State is a good time

UNIFanSince1983
August 24th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Iowa City is a little overrated in the tailgating aspect. Sure there are a lot of people, but it is so spread out. You have to walk so much to get to the many different places there are to tailgate.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Iowa City is a little overrated in the tailgating aspect. Sure there are a lot of people, but it is so spread out. You have to walk so much to get to the many different places there are to tailgate.

I've been to a couple Iowa games with a season ticket holder. The guy behind him, on every defensive play, would rock back and forth and say fumble, fumble, fumble continuously. It was an Ok atmosphere, but not a UNI game.

clenz
August 24th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I've been to a couple Iowa games with a season ticket holder. The guy behind him, on every defensive play, would rock back and forth and say fumble, fumble, fumble continuously. It was an Ok atmosphere, but not a UNI game.
I've either sat by that guy or there are a few of those.

Iowa City is a decent time but it's overrated unless you have "your group" you go with every game or you just want to get belligerently drunk...which is 99% of Iowa fans.

It's amped up for Iowa State but UNI is a "We are going to crush them" so the game is ignored. Then it is close in the second half and it gets anxious in the stadium and then when the game is over it's a "We told you" and they start drinking again.

Katfan
August 27th, 2016, 03:02 PM
UNI vs NDSU

JayJ79
August 27th, 2016, 07:32 PM
the biggest problem with the atmosphere in Iowa City is all the Hawk fans. Very annoying group of people.
NDSU fans can be annoying too (as can UNI fans), but they have their fun sides. Haven't found many redeeming qualities of the Hawkeye fanbase.

tigonian02
August 27th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Yeah, us too.

And yet, they played Charleston Southern last year...hmm...a conundrum indeed xthumbsupx

bjtheflamesfan
August 27th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Harvard-Yale
Grambling-Southern
UNI-NDSU