PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Update - Samford Football Predictions 2016.

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Picking them to win the SoCon. In the Samford Circle the light still shines....10-1 due to a prolific "Hatch Attack" and slightly improved defense. The Southern Conference lost some great players last year. Too Hard to replace for UTC with their loss of a great QB, and the Citadel Coaching change prove too much. Samford gains 8 starters back on offense and a returning Quarterback Devlin Hodges. This offense was red hot ending up last year. Head Coach Chris Hatcher taking a more active role in the offense along with New Offensive Coordinator Russ Callaway and OLine Coach S. Bostick get the offense clicking on all cylinders. Samford had the Number 7 total offense in the nation in 2015 and will be stronger this year. Their Defense will be greatly improved due to talented returnees and Coach B. D'Ottavio and DB Coach Sam Shade. They have added a great Freshman Class spearheaded by TD Marshall - Number #86 Overall Athlete in the Nation, Nate lee - OL - Number #33 center in the nation, Both will be doing a lot of learning this year but could contribute on some level. Other notable freshmen that can contribute are Yassar El-Amin, Liam Welch, Armond Lloyd, Nick Nixon.

2016 Predictions

Mars Hill - W 52-17
@UCA - W 35-21
@UTC - W 27-24 - Catch them early, new QB and offense not clicking
Wofford - W 44-28
@Furman - W 38-15
VMI - W 56-21
Western - W 48-40 - Close game key is stopping Newsome RB
@Miss. State - L 28-38 Big losses from last year, playing Samford late, they will be banged up.
@The Citadel - W 39-20 New coach struggles
Mercer - W 54-20
@ETSU - W 64-18
1 Playoff win

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2016, 05:35 PM
*Que UTC fan that tells you you're dumb and to GFYS.*

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 07:03 PM
*Que UTC fan that tells you you're dumb and to GFYS.*

You just keeping reading the zombie hype in the Chattanooga Times/News free press. Too many losses from the senior class. Too many at the skill and trench positions. Alot of 1st and 2nd team all-Socon players. Reality will set in after you play PC and Furman.

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2016, 07:05 PM
You just keeping reading the zombie hype in the Chattanooga Times/News free press. Too many losses from the senior class. Too many at the skill and trench positions. Alot of 1st and 2nd team all-Socon players. Reality will set in after you play PC and Furman.
You know I'm a Jacksonville State guy, right?

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 07:12 PM

I do. I forgot you guys don't read. You must be drinking the UTC kool-aid....

JSUSoutherner
August 7th, 2016, 07:13 PM
I do. I forgot you guys don't read. You must be drinking the UTC kool-aid....
You're new so let me help you out, I was poking fun at a certain UTC fan on here. IDGAF if UTC sucks or not.

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Lets be friends...

FUBeAR
August 7th, 2016, 07:53 PM
2016 Predictions
Mars Hill - W 52-17
@UCA - W 35-21
@UTC - W 27-24 - Catch them early, new QB and offense not clicking
Wofford - W 44-28
@Furman - W 38-15
VMI - W 56-21
Western - W 48-40 - Close game key is stopping Newsome RB
@Miss. State - L 28-38 Big losses from last year, playing Samford late, they will be banged up.
@The Citadel - W 39-20 New coach struggles
Mercer - W 54-20
@ETSU - W 64-18
1 Playoff win

1) Has Chattttttown caught a case of multiple personality disorder?

2) Only 1 Playoff win? If Sammy runs the table in the SoCon with an average margin of victory exceeding 3 TD's (23 points), won't they be able to win more than 1 playoff game?

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I have no problem notching them as a dark horse or a team to watch, but 11-2? Based on what?

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2016, 11:34 PM
2) Only 1 Playoff win? If Sammy runs the table in the SoCon with an average margin of victory exceeding 3 TD's (23 points), won't they be able to win more than 1 playoff game?

Right? Damn what's his opinion of the SoCon if that's the expectation.

Toby
August 8th, 2016, 06:49 AM

I highly doubt this was written by a Samford fan. Sounds more like a UTC fan trying to rile things up. So you may be right about the multiple personalities....

tenNesseeCat
August 8th, 2016, 08:06 AM
I don't buy that SU was a better team in the second half of the year. They ended on a good streak, but the first 5 games of the year they were 3-2 against tougher competition in UTC, Louisville, and UCA. Their O averaged 35.2 ppg, and the D gave up 25.2 ppg, +10. The last 6 games of the year (WCU, Mercer, Citadel, includes Clark Atlanta) they went 3-3, with O=34.2 and the D=27.7, +6.5. They scored less and gave up more on their weaker half of the schedule. I attended the game in Cullowhee, and it wasn't pretty for them. My whole crew was wondering how they got that bad that quick. It would have been worse had they not put up 200+ yards and 20 4th quarter points on a Catamount D that was trying to figure out how to work the cruse control for the first time. All we heard last year was watch out for the "hatch attack." They are hanging their hats on kinda the same thing this year. In a league with what looks to have more parity than last year, I don't see it. They'll be improved, but so will most of the others.

Now, I could see a hand full of teams doing well, SU included, but not untarnished in SoCon play. I see two log jams in the SoCon this year with playoff possible teams in UTC, Mercer, WCU, and The Citadel. Not far behind that is SU, WC, FU, and VMI.

KPSUL
August 8th, 2016, 08:17 AM

Really? Who woulda known. Perhaps the goofy looking giant red gamecock wearing a Jacksonville State U jersey shoulda been a hint.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Really? Who woulda known. Perhaps the goofy looking giant red gamecock wearing a Jacksonville State U jersey shoulda been a hint.
Nah. It's a confused red Moc.

Cat-in-GA
August 8th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I'm no UTC fan, but I don't think for a minute that UTC is gonna miss a beat with Benefield at QB. I would venture to say that every team in the conference will be better this year than last. Anybody who thinks their team is going undefeated in the conference this year is delusional.

tenNesseeCat
August 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I'm no UTC fan, but I don't think for a minute that UTC is gonna miss a beat with Benefield at QB.

You could be right, but usually teams don't just replace a loss like Huesman. I'm sure the new guy is quality though.

Cat-in-GA
August 8th, 2016, 09:10 AM
You could be right, but usually teams don't just replace a loss like Huesman. I'm sure the new guy is quality though.

I saw Benefield play in high school. He was good then and has been in tutelage for 3 years. I have no doubt that he is ready.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I saw Benefield play in high school. He was good then and has been in tutelage for 3 years. I have no doubt that he is ready.

Just personal experience, but at the FCS level, teams do not simply replace great players. UTC graduated an overwhelming amount of their offensive production both in the pass and the run.

UTC lost the best player they've had in a generation. I'm sure the backup is a quality player. He will undoubtedly be something less than the best player UTC has had in a generation.

Again, just my opinion, but I think you'll find that teams at this level that graduate great players (especially at QB) have a difficult time replacing them.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I don't buy that SU was a better team in the second half of the year. They ended on a good streak, but the first 5 games of the year they were 3-2 against tougher competition in UTC, Louisville, and UCA. Their O averaged 35.2 ppg, and the D gave up 25.2 ppg, +10. The last 6 games of the year (WCU, Mercer, Citadel, includes Clark Atlanta) they went 3-3, with O=34.2 and the D=27.7, +6.5. They scored less and gave up more on their weaker half of the schedule. I attended the game in Cullowhee, and it wasn't pretty for them. My whole crew was wondering how they got that bad that quick. It would have been worse had they not put up 200+ yards and 20 4th quarter points on a Catamount D that was trying to figure out how to work the cruse control for the first time. All we heard last year was watch out for the "hatch attack." They are hanging their hats on kinda the same thing this year. In a league with what looks to have more parity than last year, I don't see it. They'll be improved, but so will most of the others.

Now, I could see a hand full of teams doing well, SU included, but not untarnished in SoCon play. I see two log jams in the SoCon this year with playoff possible teams in UTC, Mercer, WCU, and The Citadel. Not far behind that is SU, WC, FU, and VMI.

I watched a really bad Furman team run up, over, and around Samford and held their vaunted offense to 20 points and bupkiss for a half.

I am wary of backing teams that don't play a lot of defense. Scoring is great, but at the end of the day you need to get stops. I'm not sure Samford is going to get a lot of stops against some really good SoCon offenses.

BEAR
August 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I can't wait to see how our coach handles their passing game that tore us up last year. How strange was that...xlolx two safeties back? Is Samford even going to have that kind of game? How good are they?

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Defense wins championships. They will have the tools to run the SoCon with the strong offense, but not the defense to go very deep in the playoffs. Also have a sophmore QB that needs some payoff experience. That's the thinking.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Defense wins championships. They will have the tools to run the SoCon with the strong offense, but not the defense to go very deep in the playoffs. Also have a sophmore QB that needs some payoff experience. That's the thinking.

Not a very good defense, but they'll win 11 games?

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I can't wait to see how our coach handles their passing game that tore us up last year. How strange was that...xlolx two safeties back? Is Samford even going to have that kind of game? How good are they?

Furman had good success against them last year. Held them to 79 yards rushing and 281 passing. Hodges completed a lot of passes (34-48), but Furman really didn't let Samford receivers behind them. Same sort of game plan Furman used to employ against App State - I don't care how many passes you complete as long as you don't get behind us. Forces passing teams to put together 10-12 play drives to score. Defense has to defend the deep ball and come up and make tackles.

The stat that jumps off the page, though, is time of possession. Furman held the ball for nearly 20 minutes longer than Samford did and nearly 12 minutes of the 4th Quarter. Best way to defend Samford's offense is to keep them hanging out on the sideline.

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I have no problem notching them as a dark horse or a team to watch, but 11-2? Based on what?

Where do I start...

Samford

Stronger Offense (was 7th in the nation last year),
Improved Defense, Lots of returning starters,
Great recruiting class that will bring depth and speed right away - (including transfers in the trenches)
Head Coach Chris Hatcher taking a more active role in the development and play calling due to Tricketts exit

UTC and The Citadel

Loss of critical players and Coaches last year at UTC and the Citadel,

UTC

UTC has a new inexperienced QB and other All-SOCON losses, Offense and defense will have a rebuilding year
UTC has Furman, The Citadel, and Western Carolina away which could mean disaster for the Mocs.

The Citadel

The Citadel has a new inexperienced Head coach
No real replacement for exiting HC M. Houstons Defensive mind. Defense wains.

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Not a very good defense, but they'll win 11 games?

Defense is much improved. But playoffs will depend on the draw. Not projecting past the first game.

BEAR
August 8th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Furman had good success against them last year. Held them to 79 yards rushing and 281 passing. Hodges completed a lot of passes (34-48), but Furman really didn't let Samford receivers behind them. Same sort of game plan Furman used to employ against App State - I don't care how many passes you complete as long as you don't get behind us. Forces passing teams to put together 10-12 play drives to score. Defense has to defend the deep ball and come up and make tackles.

The stat that jumps off the page, though, is time of possession. Furman held the ball for nearly 20 minutes longer than Samford did and nearly 12 minutes of the 4th Quarter. Best way to defend Samford's offense is to keep them hanging out on the sideline.

Our stats last year had us holding the ball for 37 minutes. Total passing yards was 343 for us and 372 for them. Here's the kicker. Their average pass was 10 yards with a total of 17 yards gained. Not only did we play OFF the receiver for 10 yards but the receivers were able to get 7 more yards after the catch. Zone defense? xlolx I'm glad the defense is different this year. I hated seeing such a good offense last year play comeback constantly..but it was the first game of the year last year too at their place. Bears squeaked out 7 wins in their last 8 games.

FUBeAR
August 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM

All-righty then, glad to see you, at least, have some kind of logic behind your spectacular prognostication. General wisdom would say that you are either very much underestimating the SoCon, or greatly overestimating the Bulldogs, or both. But, maybe not. People on this board used to make fun of Chatttttttttown and his wild predictions too, but look who's laughing now that the Mocs have run off the string of FCS National Championships that he has been predicting for the past 7 years.

Go BIG or go home VV! I like it!

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Furman did a great job last year. Samford was very one dimensional in that game. Right at 3 yds per carry. Great job by Furmans defense. Samford could not run the ball. I believe them to be much improved in this area due to healthy returning starters, transfers and signees for depth.

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Our stats last year had us holding the ball for 37 minutes. Total passing yards was 343 for us and 372 for them. Here's the kicker. Their average pass was 10 yards with a total of 17 yards gained. Not only did we play OFF the receiver for 10 yards but the receivers were able to get 7 more yards after the catch. Zone defense? xlolx I'm glad the defense is different this year. I hated seeing such a good offense last year play comeback constantly..but it was the first game of the year last year too at their place. Bears squeaked out 7 wins in their last 8 games.

This is a great early test for both schools this year.

longtimemocfan
August 8th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Where do I start...

Samford

Stronger Offense (was 7th in the nation last year),
Improved Defense, Lots of returning starters,
Great recruiting class that will bring depth and speed right away - (including transfers in the trenches)
Head Coach Chris Hatcher taking a more active role in the development and play calling due to Tricketts exit

UTC and The Citadel

Loss of critical players and Coaches last year at UTC and the Citadel,

UTC

UTC has a new inexperienced QB and other All-SOCON losses, Offense and defense will have a rebuilding year
UTC has Furman, The Citadel, and Western Carolina away which could mean disaster for the Mocs.

The Citadel

The Citadel has a new inexperienced Head coach
No real replacement for exiting HC M. Houstons Defensive mind. Defense wains.

Ok I'll give you the inexperienced QB, but rebuilding on offense and defense ? Not hardly. We returned more letterman than any other year since Huesman has been here. Both offensive and defensive lines are deep and talented.
Defense should be better than last year. You are not exactly establishing a premise for all your predictions.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Read between the lines here, and I have no more proof of this than just my own conspiracy theory, but one player can have a huge negative effect on your team. That is even more true if that player is a QB. This problem can be a blow to both the offense AND defense, as it affects the whole team morale. I am a Kool-Aid drinker, but I also know that the SoCon is going to be strong this year. IMO, most fans in other areas don't realize just how good this conference is. Sure there are hiccups, but when The Citadel can bite the USC bird's butt, and a struggling Furman team can beat UCF(regardless of their year), UTC can give the national runner-up a down to the wire game, and a new program-Mercer shows they are ready to with their first real Sr. class to compete, then I think that speaks loudly. Also, I am firmly convinced that the SoCon has more strength, top to bottom, than last year.

I say all that to say that I'm not picking my team to go undefeated in the SoCon. We should, however, be far better than last year. The last few recruiting years for Samford have been the best EVER IMO. Current NFL rosters will verify that statement. We are loaded with outstanding athletes on both sides of the ball, but there are certainly questions. For example what if Hodges gets injured or just has the Sophomore Slump? Can Hatcher get over the reputation of having "bad" defenses? Will our lack of DB depth become a factor? Obviously there are other concerns, but I am optimistic enough to say we win enough to make Playoffs.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 01:10 PM

I was in the stands when Richie Williams completed, what, 44 of 45 passes against Furman. Despite gaudy numbers, App State had not put many in the endzone and Furman had the lead in the fourth quarter.

At the end of the day, what do I care if a team puts up 600 yards of offense and doesn't score? If you are going to play a bend-don't-break defense, though, against a team like Samford that can nickle and dime you to death on quick passes, your defenders have to come up and put the ball carrier on the ground.

chattanoogamocs
August 8th, 2016, 01:10 PM

There is nothing I hate worse than using Tennessee-Knoxville as an example, but remember what happened when UTK graduated their once in a generation QB (some guy named Manning)?

They won a National Championship with Tee Martin.

Peyton was the better QB by far (then and now), but it was Tee that won the title.

It's a team game and Huesman was amazing, but if anything, UTC relied on him too much offensively. UTC will spread the wealth around more with A.B. and A.B. has a more accurate and stronger arm the Jacob. A.B. can get it downfield and on target, Jacob relied on short passes and long runs (I used to cringe every time I would see Jacob throw it deep).

No, I am not predicting a National Championship or guaranteeing a SoCon title (though I dream of them every year) :) But I think UTC will not take quite the step back that some people are expecting. Coach Huesman has built great depth in his time at UTC (building a team with redshirt freshmen, not a lot of JUCO's and transfers). Much like ASU and GSU in the past, they are in a mode now of being a top 10 team every year and being a favorite to win the SoCon every year. As long as Huesman is there, they are always going to be in the SoCon title picture (not saying they'll win it ever year, but they are always going to be near the top).

I agree that I don't think anyone will go through the conference unscathed, which is not a bad thing. I want to see the SoCon with 3 top 25 teams and 3 teams in the playoffs. I want to see SoCon teams battle tested before they enter the playoffs.

FUBeAR
August 8th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Read between the lines here, and I have no more proof of this than just my own conspiracy theory, but one player can have a huge negative effect on your team. That is even more true if that player is a QB. This problem can be a blow to both the offense AND defense, as it affects the whole team morale. I am a Kool-Aid drinker, but I also know that the SoCon is going to be strong this year. IMO, most fans in other areas don't realize just how good this conference is. Sure there are hiccups, but when The Citadel can bite the USC bird's butt, and a struggling Furman team can beat UCF(regardless of their year), UTC can give the national runner-up a down to the wire game, and a new program-Mercer shows they are ready to with their first real Sr. class to compete, then I think that speaks loudly. Also, I am firmly convinced that the SoCon has more strength, top to bottom, than last year.

I say all that to say that I'm not picking my team to go undefeated in the SoCon. We should, however, be far better than last year. The last few recruiting years for Samford have been the best EVER IMO. Current NFL rosters will verify that statement. We are loaded with outstanding athletes on both sides of the ball, but there are certainly questions. For example what if Hodges gets injured or just has the Sophomore Slump? Can Hatcher get over the reputation of having "bad" defenses? Will our lack of DB depth become a factor? Obviously there are other concerns, but I am optimistic enough to say we win enough to make Playoffs.

+1

Of that which you are not speaking...go back and review some of my posts on samfordbulldogs.com during last year's pre-season practice. Just a very few things Coach Hatcher was saying after those 1st few practices along with my own 'diagnostic' of the topic which you are not mentioning, I had a strong feeling this was going to be an issue for Sammy last year & I think you are dead on the money (if you were discussing it). So, I disagree with the earlier poster who said Samford in the latter part of the season was not a much better team than they were earlier. They were - it just took a few games to work thru the issue that is not covered here.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with you about the strength of the SoCon. You didn't mention that El Cid also cut FBS-wanna-gonna-be and everyone's 'darling,' Coastal Carolina, in last year's playoffs AND I, too, believe Samford will be one of the Top 4 Teams in the SoCon this year, so that should certainly warrant a Playoff berth!

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Feels like UTC is a lot like Ill. State this year. Lost a huge chunk of their offense but have a lot of their offense back. Should be interesting to watch.

BEAR
August 8th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I was in the stands when Richie Williams completed, what, 44 of 45 passes against Furman. Despite gaudy numbers, App State had not put many in the endzone and Furman had the lead in the fourth quarter.

At the end of the day, what do I care if a team puts up 600 yards of offense and doesn't score? If you are going to play a bend-don't-break defense, though, against a team like Samford that can nickle and dime you to death on quick passes, your defenders have to come up and put the ball carrier on the ground.

Exactly. We saw the defense play off the receiver all year and Samford and SHSU burned us with it. Fans in the stands just gave collective sighs watching it happen. UCA has never cared that teams get 500 yards on them. They just want to stop them scoring.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Got to give credit where it is due. FUBeAR is correct. He gave an early prediction last year about Samford's upcoming season, and as it turned out, hit the nail on top of the head. I also hope you are as accurate about the number of SoCon playoff teams this season.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM
There is nothing I hate worse than using Tennessee-Knoxville as an example, but remember what happened when UTK graduated their once in a generation QB (some guy named Manning)?

Peyton was the better QB by far (then and now), but it was Tee that won the title.

It's a team game and Huesman was amazing, but if anything, UTC relied on him too much offensively. UTC will spread the wealth around more with A.B. and A.B. has a more accurate and stronger arm the Jacob. A.B. can get it downfield and on target, Jacob relied on short passes and long runs (I used to cringe every time I would see Jacob throw it deep).

No, I am not predicting a National Championship or guaranteeing a SoCon title (though I dream of them every year) :) But I think UTC will not take quite the step back that some people are expecting. Coach Huesman has built great depth in his time at UTC (building a team with redshirt freshmen, not a lot of JUCO's and transfers). Much like ASU and GSU in the past, they are in a mode now of being a top 10 team every year and being a favorite to win the SoCon every year. As long as Huesman is there, they are always going to be in the SoCon title picture (not saying they'll win it ever year, but they are always going to be near the top).

I agree that I don't think anyone will go through the conference unscathed, which is not a bad thing. I want to see the SoCon with 3 top 25 teams and 3 teams in the playoffs. I want to see SoCon teams battle tested before they enter the playoffs.

Of course, that is a completely different scenario.

FBS programs (especially SEC programs) just reload. They have virtually limitless resources and a never ending conga line of four and five star recruits to fill in every gap.

FCS teams do not typically have that luxury. The better example would be to look at teams at the FCS level that lose a great player and go on the next year to win a championship. I can think of App State with Williams/Edwards. Maybe some others can come up with a few.

This is not that Benefield isn't a good player. It isn't that UTC is necessarily going to take a "step back." It is more that the Mocs have to figure out how to replace over half of their touches, 62% of their offense, and over half their touchdowns. At the end of the day, defenses had to respect Huseman's ability to beat them on the ground and in the air. That opens up the entire offense. Maybe the new guy gets the same treatment.

I look at it this way, can anyone (outside of diehards) name the QBs that replaced Ingle Martin and Armanti Edwards? Both those backups quarterbacked top 10 teams into the playoffs. No question good players that took the reigns of elite teams. They just weren't quite the players their predecessors were.

chattanoogamocs
August 8th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Of course, that is a completely different scenario.

I am not sure FBS vs FCS doesn't really matter in the example I gave. I was speaking to the fact the sometimes a team is actually better when the big star is gone because they play more like a team again. That's what happened at UTK...Tee Martin was a good, but not great, QB. He also had less pressure because no one expected him to be Peyton, the whole team loosened up and that is the same feeling at UTC this year. There are plenty of good experienced athletes (juniors and seniors) on offense that are chomping at the bit for more production. It's not a young team and they are returning an All-America RB. And don't think for a moment that A.B. can't run, he definitely can. He just isn't a bruiser like Huesman was. It will be more like 75/25 pass to run instead of 50/50 at the QB slot. If Huesman had won a title (like Edwards) there would be immense pressure on the next QB, but like Peyton, Huesman never won a title.

Without googling, was it Presley that replaced Edwards? I remember they won the SoCon, but didn't do well in the playoffs. And I would not consider myself a diehard, I couldn't name all the current coaches in the SoCon. DOH! :)

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I am not sure FBS vs FCS doesn't really matter in the example I gave. I was speaking to the fact the sometimes a team is actually better when the big star is gone because they play more like a team again. That's what happened at UTK...Tee Martin was a good, but not great, QB. He also had less pressure because no one expected him to be Peyton, the whole team loosened up and that is the same feeling at UTC this year. There are plenty of good experienced athletes (juniors and seniors) on offense that are chomping at the bit for more production. It's not a young team and they are returning an All-America RB. And don't think for a moment that A.B. can't run, he definitely can. He just isn't a bruiser like Huesman was. It will be more like 75/25 pass to run instead of 50/50 at the QB slot. If Huesman had won a title (like Edwards) there would be immense pressure on the next QB, but like Peyton, Huesman never won a title.

Without googling, was it Presley that replaced Edwards? I remember they won the SoCon, but didn't do well in the playoffs. And I would not consider myself a diehard, I couldn't name all the current coaches in the SoCon. DOH! :)

Presley is correct.

Renaldo Gray (who, incidentally, is Armanti Edward's first cousin) replaced Martin.

Really not a terribly significant point, but just examples of two guys who spent a number of years backing up top flight FCS QBs. Talented players, but just not the same as the guys they replaced.

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 03:47 PM

I agree things like this can happen, but Tee Martin appears to be an anomaly. Tennessee returned virtually all their assets and a few players really stepped up that year. Not a usual result. But it could happen. Not probable.

VictoryViking
August 8th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Right? Damn what's his opinion of the SoCon if that's the expectation.

Not weighing in on the strength of the SoCon nationally. though you make a good point. Also I did not want to project past the 1st playoff game. Too many variables to weigh in on this early for me.

PaladinNation
August 8th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I love this time of the year… we all have HOPE.

Glad Furman Plays both Chattanooga and Samford at home.
I'm not sure it matters, with the current state of the program.
But, based on very early practices this Furman team seems to have some urgency and are ahead of past teams.

I think Chatty, Citadel, and Samford will get Mercer, FU, Western and Wofford's best shots.
I think the SoCon could be a black and blue conference this season.

Mocs123
August 8th, 2016, 07:10 PM
There are a lot of teams in the SoCon that can win the conference this year. I have Chattanooga as the favorite, but The Citadel returns a bunch, Samford is uber talented, Western has quite a bit coming back, Furman has players if they can ever put it together, and Mercer has a full senior class and is ready to contend. I could see any team short of ETSU winning the conference.

Will we get more than one team in the playoffs? Probably not without going undefeated (or close) in FCS OOC games. Unfortunately, Chattanooga is of no help this year with a very weak OOC schedule.

We might not have another player like Huesman, and I don't expect Bennifield to be the SoCon offensive player of the year the next two years in a row (I know Huesman had 3) but his arm will allow us to open up the offense a little more. We did rely on him a little too much the past couple of years. We may or may not be better on offense this year, but I do agree it will be a tall order.

My worry, along with a new QB, is a lack of experienced depth at RB, and young and untested players at CB. I think we have the talent to be really good, but we have to have some young guys step up.

I had Samford #3 last season, and they did have talented players, but were somehow less than the sum of their parts. If they work through whatever their daemons were they could be dangerous.