PDA

View Full Version : 2 reasons why the North dominates FCS (Yet the common North fan is too naive to see)

BigSouthFan
August 7th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Great article on SBNation on 2 reasons why the North dominates the FCS, Division 2, etc.. Pretty much common sense for any unbiased college football fan, yet a lot of FCS fans up North still can't grasp the fact that it is NOT an "even playing field". Even through reading the comments a lot of people needed to see it in this perspective and now they see why it makes sense that the North ends up better than the South at the lower levels.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/22/7430243/fcs-football-north-dakota-state-illinois-state

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Holy article necro. Consider this....last year's semifinal included Richmond, SHSU, and Jacksonville State. Other than Illinois St (when the article was written...heaven forbid two Valley teams are in the natty), NDSU's natty opponents have been SHSU, Towson, and Jacksonville St.....Alabama, Texas, and Maryland. Its not the north's fault that the Sunbelch is littered with your top FCS programs. Do better.

Northern "coast" bias: Winning at FCS football and wars since 1865! xlolx

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Great article on SBNation on 2 reasons why the North dominates the FCS, Division 2, etc.. Pretty much common sense for any unbiased college football fan, yet a lot of FCS fans up North still can't grasp the fact that it is NOT an "even playing field". Even through reading the comments a lot of people needed to see it in this perspective and now they see why it makes sense that the North ends up better than the South at the lower levels.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/22/7430243/fcs-football-north-dakota-state-illinois-state

Then go to DII if it's so unfair. Or get better and don't suck. It would be pretty easy for a team like SDSU to pull the same crap. Town of 22,000 in the middle of nowhere. Had **** facilities top to bottom as recently as 2007. Have to compete with NDSU just up the road, Nebraska just down the road, Minnesota the same distance, stigma of having a state with nothing to do, no trees, people, or anything. A state with under 900,000 people. Is it less recruited? Well, ya, there's barely any kids there to be honest. There's some talent don't get me wrong, but nothing like in the southern states. It's not like every recruit they get only has an offer from them.

Also, if the northern schools are dominating EVERY lower level, I hate to tell you this, but that means the southern schools aren't doing a good job. There's no way a DIII kid is getting looked at by Bama or any SEC school. I don't care where he is. Just shows me the southern schools do a good job with the top of the barrel, but a poor job with the rest. It's is an even playing field. Every school has its positives and negatives from recruiting all the way down the line. Every school is allowed to offer the same things if they so choose.

BisonTru
August 7th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Northern Pride

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e4/53/d9/e453d935ce6b6843cd384ab6408ebc47.jpg

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM
There have been some really good runs from the Northern teams. That is all about to come to a crashing halt. 2018, the tables will turn.

PantherRob82
August 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Well that was dumb.

VictoryViking
August 7th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Well that was dumb.

Like your colors and your helmets....

Schism55
August 7th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Viking coming out the gate firing!

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2016, 06:40 PM

Portland State fan?

PantherRob82
August 7th, 2016, 07:11 PM

xcoffeex

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 7th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Portland State fan?

Portland State looked so minor league i'm surprised they can afford helmets. Field/jerseys looked like a JV high school was playing.

Grizalltheway
August 7th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Portland State fan?

He started a Samford predictions thread. Odd thing for a PSU fan to do.xlolx

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Isn't NDSU grabbing most of their talent from out of state more than ND? They may have a pipeline to ND's top FB recruits who probably don't want to go to a further P5 school that's awful anyways, but they're getting recruits from neighboring states with P5 programs and even from FL, etc. North Dakota's best football talent isn't anything compared to other parts of the country, I think I can say that much.

If you can convince players to go to North Dakota of all places (never been :P), then give their coaches credit.

That argument applies more to their fan base than their football players. They get a monopoly on local fan support due to a lack of P5 presence, without question.

IBleedYellow
August 7th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Isn't NDSU grabbing most of their talent from out of state more than ND? They may have a pipeline to ND's top FB recruits who probably don't want to go to a further P5 school that's awful anyways, but they're getting recruits from neighboring states with P5 programs and even from FL, etc. North Dakota's best football talent isn't anything compared to other parts of the country, I think I can say that much.

If you can convince players to go to North Dakota of all places (never been :P), then give their coaches credit.

That argument applies more to their fan base than their football players. They get a monopoly on local fan support due to a lack of P5 presence, without question.
The majority of NDSU's players are from North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin....not exactly in that order.

The most come from Minnesota.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Without even reading the article I could have come up with those two reasons. Several southern schools that dominated this level have moved on, and there's far less competition for recruits.

Herder
August 7th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Without even reading the article I could have come up with those two reasons. Several southern schools that dominated this level have moved on, and there's far less competition for recruits.

You mean GASo and App? The two schools that were both FCS eligible for the NDSU's 3-peat? And APP, who won 3 titles when NDSU was not eligible? Those schools?

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2016, 10:04 PM
You mean GASo and App? The two schools that were both FCS eligible for the NDSU's 3-peat? And APP, who won 3 titles when NDSU was not eligible? Those schools?

App State and GSU shared 9 national titles.

If those two programs were still in the FCS, the article wouldn't really have a premise, would it?

Twentysix
August 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
App State and GSU shared 9 national titles.

If those two programs were still in the FCS, the article wouldn't really have a premise, would it?

Yeah, he means App 3 peated during NDSU's transition years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Then go to DII if it's so unfair. Or get better and don't suck. It would be pretty easy for a team like SDSU to pull the same crap. Town of 22,000 in the middle of nowhere. Had **** facilities top to bottom as recently as 2007. Have to compete with NDSU just up the road, Nebraska just down the road, Minnesota the same distance, stigma of having a state with nothing to do, no trees, people, or anything. A state with under 900,000 people. Is it less recruited? Well, ya, there's barely any kids there to be honest. There's some talent don't get me wrong, but nothing like in the southern states. It's not like every recruit they get only has an offer from them.

Also, if the northern schools are dominating EVERY lower level, I hate to tell you this, but that means the southern schools aren't doing a good job. There's no way a DIII kid is getting looked at by Bama or any SEC school. I don't care where he is. Just shows me the southern schools do a good job with the top of the barrel, but a poor job with the rest. It's is an even playing field. Every school has its positives and negatives from recruiting all the way down the line. Every school is allowed to offer the same things if they so choose.

If they are offering 63 scholarships, then they are on equal footing.

Article is crap.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 8th, 2016, 06:59 AM
NDSU's winning isn't new. Winners win. NDSU has great tradition, a rabid fan base that EXPECTS CHAMPIONSHIPS, and the best home field advantage at any level. A correction to that article needs to be made. Virginia and Maryland are not culturally Southern anymore. They've been occupied, like Florida, for decades.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2016, 07:17 AM

The Big South will likely never have a national champion, especially with CCU gone now. There is another factor in all of this. Go back several years ago and the north was not really king of FCS. The south and north both produced champions and there were times when the south dominated. Years when GSU won 4 out of 5, App State won 3 in a row, years where VA schools won, Furman won, etc.

Then north has had years of success as well with EWU, Villanova, Marshall, YSU, Montana, etc. to appear the north was more dominant.

The shift has completely gone from the south to the north the last 5-6 years because of so many new schools in the south that ended up going FBS and several powerhouses in the south who went FBS.

Someone asked me recently who the top conferences in FCS are and I told them that the landscape has surely changed. At one point it was the SoCon and CAA missing with a team from the Big Sky or MVFC occasionally winning the title but now it has changed and the MVFC and Big Sky along with 1-2 CAA teams are king and the SoCon has fallen behind.

The only powers we see from the south now is Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State and maybe UTC will move up there but now we have NDSU, Illinois State, UNI, Montana, UNH, SDSU, Villanova, etc. all usually making it pretty far in the playoffs.

The south is definitely mined more with several new FBS programs down south and I expect this **** to be somewhat permanent but there will always be a few teams in the south who make it far. There is just too much talent down south for even a more depleted south not to have a couple teams make the quarerfinals and perhaps a title game participant.

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2016, 07:25 AM
NDSU's winning isn't new. Winners win. NDSU has great tradition, a rabid fan base that EXPECTS CHAMPIONSHIPS, and the best home field advantage at any level. A correction to that article needs to be made. Virginia and Maryland are not culturally Southern anymore. They've been occupied, like Florida, for decades.
I guess you've never been to VA? We're definitely southern. I guess if we don't vote for the republican candidate every election, we must be a bunch of damn yankees?

KPSUL
August 8th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I guess you've never been to VA? We're definitely southern. I guess if we don't vote for the republican candidate every election, we must be a bunch of damn yankees?

I agree. As a New Englander living in the Shenandoah Valley for the past 9 years, I can attest to the fact that Virginia, outside of the DC Metro area, is "Southern". Virginia may lead the nation in the most confederate battle flags per pick-up truck.

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Perhaps it's because the good northern schools don't take 15 drop down transfers a year and actually develop players for 5 years? Just a hunch.

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2016, 09:59 AM

If sweet tea is on the menu, you are southern.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:16 AM
This is accurate...they benefit strictly off of the Big 10 and Big 12 schools closest to them sucking real bad....Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa State.

As far as the in state talent you are also correct, its proven every year during what is called the Badlands Bowl.....all star high schoolers from Montana and ND meat up to play every year.....

The talent that Montana puts on the field annually is unquestionably better than ND's.....it has become rare to see Top Dakota win the Badlands Bowl as of late.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Slow your roll bud

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Slow your roll bud

I mean, most schools that claim to have the best home field advantage wouldn't let a Division 2 school roll in and beat them while they are Division 1, would they? Or lose in the playoffs at said home field.

Am I right, guys? Guys?

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Well since the Beezon started playing at the Fargodome in 1993 they have a .854 home winning percentage.....almost as good as the Griz in Wa-Griz...a measly .880.....I dont know how numbers work, but I think I have this right???

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Well since the Beezon started playing at the Fargodome in 1993 they have a .854 home winning percentage.....almost as good as the Griz in Wa-Griz...a measly .877.....I dont know how numbers work, but I think I have this right???

16-0 in the playoffs (you know - the part that matters)@ home. I rest my case.

No_Skill
August 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM

The griz have a 1.125 home win percentage in the playoffs. Nice try IBY.

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Cold and loud >>>> just loud

....or so I've heard.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 8th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Cold and loud >>>> just loud

....or so I've heard.

No no no...you should all know by now...that the new mantra is Hot..Smokey..and Loud......we have found the winning recipe!!!!

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 11:09 AM
No no no...you should all know by now...that the new mantra is Hot..Smokey..and Loud......we have found the winning recipe!!!!
I can't argue with the results I guess.

UNIFanSince1983
August 8th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Seems to be a much smaller sample size than what Montana has for home playoff games.

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Seems to be a much smaller sample size than what Montana has for home playoff games.

Almost double - to be precise. Yet one has way more loses.

Bison56
August 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Well since the Beezon started playing at the Fargodome in 1993 they have a .854 home winning percentage.....almost as good as the Griz in Wa-Griz...a measly .880.....I dont know how numbers work, but I think I have this right???

I think Bubba should apologize to Teh Bizun for UND's winning record in the Fargo Dome.

No_Skill
August 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I think Bubba should apologize to Teh Bizun for UND's winning record in the Fargo Dome.

DII wins..argument invalud.

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM
DII wins..argument invalud.
You guys claim D2 wins even though you're D1 now so this is me doing the same.

No_Skill
August 8th, 2016, 12:37 PM

Nah only we can do that. :)

The Eagle's Cliff
August 8th, 2016, 03:07 PM

I've been to Virginia and Maryland. The rural areas are still Southern, but the populated areas are over run with Yankee culture from 150 years of occupation. The same thing is seen in North Carolina and Metro Georgia.

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I've been to Virginia and Maryland. The rural areas are still Southern, but the populated areas are over run with Yankee culture from 150 years of occupation. The same thing is seen in North Carolina and Metro Georgia.
You mean they have running water and dentists? :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 08:01 PM

I'll take 5 consecutive FCS titles over a head to head series match up any day.

Oh by the way......how many of those 62 UND wins were in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.........................

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Oh by the way......how many of those 62 UND wins were in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.........................

45 of them were pre-1960.

POD Knows
August 8th, 2016, 08:12 PM

Missoula smelled like ash the last time the herd was in town.

Bisonoline
August 8th, 2016, 08:16 PM

They gotta have something to hang there hat on.

Cocky
August 8th, 2016, 08:18 PM
The main reason Northern teams win are the same as Southern team(when their winning), its because they were the best on the field.

My personal opinion is the Northern teams have better coaches as a group than the Southern teams. This is just one reason to go with the above.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 08:20 PM
45 of them were pre-1960.

Kudos....beat me to it!!

- - - Updated - - -

They gotta have something to hang there hat on.

Thumbs up PL!!!

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 10:49 PM

So they don't count all of a sudden? How about we omit the decade of the 80's then? Sounds good to me.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2016, 01:15 AM
So they don't count all of a sudden? How about we omit the decade of the 80's then? Sounds good to me.

Have you not heard of stats-records that are compiled from the modern era? But hey what ever puffs your cheeto.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 9th, 2016, 08:57 AM

Sure they all count but that is what the fan base up north loves to highlight......a head to head winning record with most wins coming before JFK was president.

NDSU is the better FB program and always will be. Hockey is #1 at your school and that will never change.

Keep your head up, UND has a weak conference schedule and should do be ok......

eiu1999
August 9th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I agree. As a New Englander living in the Shenandoah Valley for the past 9 years, I can attest to the fact that Virginia, outside of the DC Metro area, is "Southern". Virginia may lead the nation in the most confederate battle flags per pick-up truck.

Ever driven in Bama?

kperk014
December 13th, 2017, 01:17 PM

We can't stop michigan, ohio state, penn state, nebraska, michigan state etc from recruiting our players. It's against the law, bozo. For all the players those schools sign, that makes the Troys and Southern Mississippis have to reach down and sign players who used to go to Jax State or Tennessee Tech which makes them have to reach down to sign players North Alabama, Valdosta State etc used to sign. Like it or not, trickle down is REAL. Every action has a reaction.

As you can see from this article, if we could stop northern schools from recruiting the South, a ton of talent we are losing would be distributed to smaller schools and the northern advantage would disappear without all that Southern speed they've been swiping. By the way, the South produces the most defensive and offensive linemen by far. Surprising, huh. xnodx

California leads but with a population of almost 40,000,000 the should. For what's really interesting, check out players per capita in the article.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/blue-chip/story/daddy-where-do-nfl-players-come-from-101414

TheKingpin28
December 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM
We can't stop michigan, ohio state, penn state, nebraska, michigan state etc from recruiting our players. It's against the law, bozo. For all the players those schools sign, that makes the Troys and Southern Mississippis have to reach down and sign players who used to go to Jax State or Tennessee Tech which makes them have to reach down to sign players North Alabama, Valdosta State etc used to sign. Like it or not, trickle down is REAL. Every action has a reaction.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/4/0/5/8/0/necrobumpbatman.jpg

wapiti
December 13th, 2017, 01:35 PM
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/4/0/5/8/0/necrobumpbatman.jpg

It's that southern speed Robin.

kperk014
December 13th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Ever driven in Bama?

Funny, I haven't seen one in years. Do all of you drive with your signal lights on?

kperk014
December 13th, 2017, 01:41 PM

As you can see from this article, if we could stop northern schools from recruiting the South, a ton of talent we are losing would be distributed to smaller schools and the northern advantage would disappear without all that Southern speed they've been swiping. By the way, the South produces the most defensive and offensive linemen by far. Surprising, huh. xnodx

California leads but with a population of almost 40,000,000 they should. For what's really interesting, check out players per capita in the article.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...me-from-101414

I'm sorry to post FACTS. I know how that makes yankee heads explode.
(https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/blue-chip/story/daddy-where-do-nfl-players-come-from-101414)

kperk014
December 13th, 2017, 01:55 PM
You mean they have running water and dentists? :D

The dakotas. Like you have room to talk. xlolx

Schism55
December 13th, 2017, 02:00 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26781&stc=1

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2017, 02:40 PM

California leads but with a population of almost 40,000,000 they should. For what's really interesting, check out players per capita in the article.

(https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/blue-chip/story/daddy-where-do-nfl-players-come-from-101414)

Suck less. There are multiple cities in the south with more people than the entire state of SD. Guess what, these northern teams also manage to get players from the south. You poor things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uni88
December 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM

So what? First, northern schools have been recruiting the south for decades. UNI has recruited Florida since when I was in school 30 years (probably because Coach Mudra had strong ties there from his time at FSU). Second, you want to tell athletes where they can and can't go to school (i.e. take away freedom of choice)? Its up to the southern schools to win those recruiting battles. Maybe athletes want to go to northern schools for the quality of the education (SEC schools don't stack up to B1G schools).

MTfan4life
December 13th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Seems like the South has used this article to rise up and overcome! This season, of the 10 teams remaining in FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA, 5 of them are from the South. (Texas A&M Commerce, Sam Houston State, West Florida, Reinhardt, and Mary Hardin Baylor)

jacksfan29
December 13th, 2017, 05:14 PM
This is accurate...they benefit strictly off of the Big 10 and Big 12 schools closest to them sucking real bad....Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa State.

As far as the in state talent you are also correct, its proven every year during what is called the Badlands Bowl.....all star high schoolers from Montana and ND meat up to play every year.....

The talent that Montana puts on the field annually is unquestionably better than ND's.....it has become rare to see Top Dakota win the Badlands Bowl as of late.

Maybe you should come play against the South Dakota high school kids. Far stronger programs with more D1 and D2 talent coming from South Dakota.

UNHWildcat18
December 13th, 2017, 06:21 PM
UNH is in da north ammaaright?

TheKingpin28
December 14th, 2017, 12:28 AM

Is "Southern Speed" trademarked yet?

kperk014
December 14th, 2017, 03:22 AM
So what? First, northern schools have been recruiting the south for decades. UNI has recruited Florida since when I was in school 30 years (probably because Coach Mudra had strong ties there from his time at FSU). Second, you want to tell athletes where they can and can't go to school (i.e. take away freedom of choice)? Its up to the southern schools to win those recruiting battles. Maybe athletes want to go to northern schools for the quality of the education (SEC schools don't stack up to B1G schools).

NOT like they are now. Look at Jim Hardball. He would set up permanent camps across the South if he could. He's already ran satellite camps in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Tennessee. LSU managed to keep him out of the Bayou State but that doesn't mean he's not recruiting the state like a mad man. By far Louisiana produces the most NFL players per capita than any other state. I was merely pointing out the deleterious effect it has on Southern schools. I'm not not saying there aren't a lot of good players up north. There obviously are and the fact that the majors in the north are so busy going after Southern talent that you get to reap the rewards of that by grabbing those players who were passed over. I wish that was the case down here.

The SEC will always get as much of the talent in the South as scholarship limits will allow but the players that aren't chosen by the SEC now have the opportunity to still play big time football at Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State etc, bypassing schools like Southern Miss. That starts the trickle down I referred to earlier. From 1984 through 2007, SIX different GSC teams won ten National Championships so the conference was never top heavy. The region has always been heavily recruited but nothing like what's been going on for the last 10 years and the conference has won only one championship since due to that and the mass exodus of D2 schools to D1. Of course this same analogy applies to FCS as well.

There has been somewhat of a resurrection this year but for the most part, the best teams have been north of the Mason-Dixon line for the last several years in FCS and D2. Just wanted to point out valid reasons for some of the swing. After watching UNA suffer the most injury-plagued season I've seen since the mid 60s, I wish for ALL teams: NO INJURIES in 2018!

th0m
December 14th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Seems like the South has used this article to rise up and overcome! This season, of the 10 teams remaining in FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA, 5 of them are from the South. (Texas A&M Commerce, Sam Houston State, West Florida, Reinhardt, and Mary Hardin Baylor)

I think you missed a southern team there

BNATION
December 14th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Yea no matter what these guys say they have no clue what it's like to have 15 FBS programs on a relatively short drive. It makes a difference absolutely. It's not a excuse just real life. Still I think that the southern football teams are competing very well. It's been a incredible run by NDSU, I wouldn't say all Northern teams.... we sure like to beat the **** out of Northern teams, again other than NDSU.

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Everyone has their challenges. If New Hampshire can recruit and compete up there then no one has a right to complain. It’s not like NH is a recruiting hot bed. They go to work and take care of their business.

th0m
December 14th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Yea no matter what these guys say they have no clue what it's like to have 15 FBS programs on a relatively short drive. It makes a difference absolutely. It's not a excuse just real life. Still I think that the southern football teams are competing very well. It's been a incredible run by NDSU, I wouldn't say all Northern teams.... we sure like to beat the **** out of Northern teams, again other than NDSU.

You don't like to beat the **** out of NDSU?

Cocky
December 14th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I stated in these type thread before the reason, coaching.

BNATION
December 14th, 2017, 07:07 AM
You don't like to beat the **** out of NDSU? LOL i would love to, we just have not done it. I would write a big check to see it happen hahaha.

clenz
December 14th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Maybe you shouthern guys should start recruiting Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...

From Bisontrue in the geographic roster thread the combined rosters for NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, and UNI

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26743&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26747&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26752&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26746&stc=1

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2017, 07:38 AM

I don't get worked up over this sort of stuff, but it is just a completely different market. Even trying to compare the two is apples and oranges.

At bottom, this stuff is cyclical. The SoCon was the top football conference at this level for 20 years bar none. That's changed and we've gone through a lot of upheaval while more northern conferences have taken up the flag. None of this is permanent.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Florida must not have very many FBS schools, looks like the northern MVFC schools are finding quite a few gems there.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2017, 08:07 AM

I would say that strip from say Newport News up towards Williamsburg and Henrico area are still very southren

clenz
December 14th, 2017, 08:27 AM
I guess if you're going off of how people act - Iowa is definitely south as well.

I'm amazed at the people in Iowa who have southern accents and all of that ****.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Florida must not have very many FBS schools, looks like the northern MVFC schools are finding quite a few gems there.

7, I think: Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Miami
Plus 4 FCS programs: BCU, A&M, Jacksonville, Stetson
3rd largest state by population at ~20.6 million

By comparison, very few schools per capita vs states like...Ohio (11.6m people, 8 FBS schools) or North Carolina (10.1m people, 7 FBS schools).

I think in states where you see higher population and fewer numbers of DI schools...that's where you get a lot of people recruiting.

California has nearly 40m people, but only 7 FBS schools (and 4 FCS), so lots of recruiting going on there too

I guess if you're going off of how people act - Iowa is definitely south as well.

I'm amazed at the people in Iowa who have southern accents and all of that ****.

It's not really a North/South divide anymore. It's much more Urban/Rural.

Plenty of people around here act and sound like they're from the south, when they've never been further south that maybe St. Louis.

McNeese72
December 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I don't know how many of you guys actually read the article and I don't know about other southern schools but the first reason is definitely true for McNeese in one way. You can get some good skill position players because they are a lot of them down here. But when it comes to getting quality offensive and defensive linemen, there is a problem. There aren't as many of them down here and all the FBS schools, big and little, grab them up before McNeese and the other FCS schools and we are left with the leftovers. I'd love to see McNeese skill players playing by NDSU's lines. That is one advantage the Northern teams have over us and why they can play a more physical type game. I don't care how good your skill people are, if you getting beat up front, it isn't going to turn out good for you.

Bison56
December 14th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Beat the **** out of who?

OhioHen
December 14th, 2017, 10:11 AM
7, I think: Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Miami
3rd largest state by population at ~20.6 million.

But a significant portion of that population is over 60 - not exactly producing college football players out of that pool of bodies.

walliver
December 14th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Aren't the NEC and Patriot considered "Northern". Are they dominating FCS?

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Aren't the NEC and Patriot considered "Northern". Are they dominating FCS?

Idk....I think of them more as "northeastern"...and outside of the CAA and a handful of decent FBS schools...there's not much good DI football being played in that region. And even in the CAA, it seems like in general, the more southern teams have historically done better. Seems like most football fans in that area are WAY more interested in the NFL than college football too.

Calling them "northern" feels to me probably the same way that someone calling Texas or New Mexico "the south"...I mean technically they are in the south part of the US, but there's a big difference between "the south"/southeast region and southwest...just like there's big differences between northeastern, northwest, and "the north".

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2017, 11:09 AM
3rd largest state by population at ~20.6 million

By comparison, very few schools per capita vs states like...Ohio (11.6m people, 8 FBS schools) or North Carolina (10.1m people, 7 FBS schools).

I think in states where you see higher population and fewer numbers of DI schools...that's where you get a lot of people recruiting.

California has nearly 40m people, but only 7 FBS schools (and 4 FCS), so lots of recruiting going on there too

It's not really a North/South divide anymore. It's much more Urban/Rural.

Plenty of people around here act and sound like they're from the south, when they've never been further south that maybe St. Louis.

Beat me to it. Florida has 21 million people. Every team East of the Rockies recruits Florida.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 11:19 AM
But a significant portion of that population is over 60 - not exactly producing college football players out of that pool of bodies.

Well, no, but Florida has a high enough population that they still have more kids than many other states. I found a site that has state population distributions by age and you can filter down. So, for states with the most 0-18 year olds (as narrow as I could get that age range), the top ones are, in order: California (9.67m), Texas (7.73m), Florida (4.45m), New York (4.39m), Illinois (3.05m), Pennsylvania (2.84m), Ohio (2.80m), Georgia (2.67m), North Carolina (2.45m).

EDIT - ran some basic numbers calculating available DI scholarships in each state estimating 85 for FBS and 63 for FCS removing Pioneer schools (and yes, I know that the Ivy and NEC situations kinda skew things in the northeast...and some schools don't offer their full allotment of scholarships, but it's the best I can do for right now). I took a look at the estimated population 18 and under of a state as compared to estimated number of scholarships available.
Technically Alaska and Vermont are #1, because they don't have any DI football teams, and Wisconsin is #2 because they don't allow DI other than UW-Madison. Otherwise, you've got, in this order...California, Minnesota (1 DI), New Jersey, Washington, Arizona, New York, Illinois, Missouri, Florida, Nebraska (1 DI), Massachusetts, and Michigan. Those would be states where you have 2000 or more kids in that age range per scholarship.

Of course, then you have to take into account things like...what is the state's "culture of football"...are kids raised on football, raised playing football from the time they can walk (Texas, Alabama)...or is it more of an afterthought (Vermont, Massachusetts). Like, even though MA might have more of the total number of kids in that age range per scholarship available than Texas...what % of those kids play youth football...I'd bet it's a LOT higher in Texas than it is in MA, so even if the total number of kids that age were the same, there'd still be more kids available to play in Texas just because of the culture around the sport.

clenz
December 14th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Well, no, but Florida has a high enough population that they still have more kids than many other states. I found a site that has state population distributions by age and you can filter down. So, for states with the most 0-18 year olds (as narrow as I could get that age range), the top ones are, in order: California (9.67m), Texas (7.73m), Florida (4.45m), New York (4.39m), Illinois (3.05m), Pennsylvania (2.84m), Ohio (2.80m), Georgia (2.67m), North Carolina (2.45m).

EDIT - ran some basic numbers calculating available DI scholarships in each state estimating 85 for FBS and 63 for FCS removing Pioneer schools (and yes, I know that the Ivy and NEC situations kinda skew things in the northeast...and some schools don't offer their full allotment of scholarships, but it's the best I can do for right now). I took a look at the estimated population 18 and under of a state as compared to estimated number of scholarships available.
Technically Alaska and Vermont are #1, because they don't have any DI football teams, and Wisconsin is #2 because they don't allow DI other than UW-Madison. Otherwise, you've got, in this order...California, Minnesota (1 DI), New Jersey, Washington, Arizona, New York, Illinois, Missouri, Florida, Nebraska (1 DI), Massachusetts, and Michigan. Those would be states where you have 2000 or more kids in that age range per scholarship.

Of course, then you have to take into account things like...what is the state's "culture of football"...are kids raised on football, raised playing football from the time they can walk (Texas, Alabama)...or is it more of an afterthought (Vermont, Massachusetts). Like, even though MA might have more of the total number of kids in that age range per scholarship available than Texas...what % of those kids play youth football...I'd bet it's a LOT higher in Texas than it is in MA, so even if the total number of kids that age were the same, there'd still be more kids available to play in Texas just because of the culture around the sport.
https://twitter.com/NCAAResearch/status/854330443629572097

Twentysix
December 15th, 2017, 04:40 AM

I'm amazed at the people in Iowa who have southern accents and all of that ****.I randomly heard that in Omaha too. I couldn't believe it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

phoenix3
December 15th, 2017, 07:01 AM

This ^^^^

POD Knows
December 15th, 2017, 11:16 AM

I'm amazed at the people in Iowa who have southern accents and all of that ****.Weird you should say that, I was down in the Mt Pleasant area, 3 hours SE of Iowa Falls, or 90 minutes if Kingpin is driving (sorry, it was too easy) and I had never been down there before, I thought I was in southern Missouri, WTF.

clenz
December 15th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Weird you should say that, I was down in the Mt Pleasant area, 3 hours SE of Iowa Falls, or 90 minutes if Kingpin is driving (sorry, it was too easy) and I had never been down there before, I thought I was in southern Missouri, WTF.
Mt Pleasant is about an hour and a half from where I work. I'm there once a month or so for a client.

South of I80 and you'd swear you were in the deep south. It's so weird.

Everyone is dressed like a cow boy, lifted big ass trucks, massive exhaust stacks, confederate flags, accents, etc...

ST_Lawson
December 15th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Mt Pleasant is about an hour and a half from where I work. I'm there once a month or so for a client.

South of I80 and you'd swear you were in the deep south. It's so weird.

Everyone is dressed like a cow boy, lifted big ass trucks, massive exhaust stacks, confederate flags, accents, etc...

Welcome to west central illinois.

uni88
December 15th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I grew up about an hour south of Mt. Pleasant so F you all! JK - My hometown was originally settled by people moving from Kentucky so Mt. Pleasant is way more northern than where I grew up. My mom grew up in Minnesota and majored in English in college. She hammered us relentlessly to make sure we used proper English without a drawl.

Comparing us to Missouri is going a little too far though. Unlike those goat ropers (our affectionate term for those living in Misery), we bathed on a regular basis.

ST_Lawson
December 15th, 2017, 04:11 PM
I grew up about an hour south of Mt. Pleasant so F you all!

Keokuk?

uni88
December 15th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Keokuk?
Yep

clenz
December 15th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Yep

Gross

I mean, I’m sorry.

I mean, that’s nice.

uni88
December 15th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Gross

I mean, I’m sorry.

I mean, that’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's a different town from when I grew up there. It had a strong manufacturing base and it's lost a lot of that and the jobs it provided. Infrastructure and basic services have suffered as population and tax revenue have dropped. The town's history is pretty cool though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
December 15th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Weird you should say that, I was down in the Mt Pleasant area, 3 hours SE of Iowa Falls, or 90 minutes if Kingpin is driving (sorry, it was too easy) and I had never been down there before, I thought I was in southern Missouri, WTF.

I appreciate the acknowledgement of my horrible driving.

clenz
December 15th, 2017, 10:02 PM
It's a different town from when I grew up there. It had a strong manufacturing base and it's lost a lot of that and the jobs it provided. Infrastructure and basic services have suffered as population and tax revenue have dropped. The town's history is pretty cool though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It’s not as bad as Fort Madison, but close.

I’m glad I shifted all my customer base from those cities to other managers in the quad cities.

ming01
December 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM

Tell that to Kennesaw

uni88
December 16th, 2017, 08:05 AM
It’s not as bad as Fort Madison, but close.

I’m glad I shifted all my customer base from those cities to other managers in the quad cities.

All Roads Led to Keokuk-A Trip to One of Iowa’s Most Historic and Important Towns (https://theiowagallivant.com/2014/09/13/all-roads-led-to-keokuk-a-trip-to-one-of-iowas-most-historic-and-important-towns/)

kalm
December 16th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Welcome to west central illinois.

Or North Idaho.

Sonic98
December 16th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Interesting

ST_Lawson
December 16th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Or North Idaho.

Probably most areas of the US outside of decently sized cities. It's not North/South now, it's Urban/Rural.