PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Idea

BlueHen86
December 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
This may have been covered before, but I don't remember seeing it.

I was reading some of the threads regarding the SWAC and playoffs and it occurs to me that Thanksgiving weekend is not the best time to start the playoffs. Some schools have traditions that take precedent over the playoffs and many students are home for the holidays and attendence at games is not at its optimum level.

How about starting the playoffs during the regular season on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving weekend would be the final regular season game. Teams would play 10 games (or 11 games if schools vote for a 12 game schedule), participate in round 1 of the playoffs (or have a bye week) and then finish the regular season. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds of the playoffs would finish just as they do now.

This may sound a little goofy but Pennsylvania uses a similar formula for it's high school playoffs.

Some of the pros would include:
no playoffs over Thanksgiving
more students on campus for games
SWAC could participate

The biggest con would be that the last regular season game would have little meaning for many schools.

What do you guys think?

December 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
What about AQs that are decided and the required D-I wins achieved with the last regular season game?

BlueHen86
December 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
What about AQs that are decided and the required D-I wins achieved with the last regular season game?
I know my idea isn't perfect, obviously there would be some tweaking to do. Teams would have to complete their playoff resume prior to the completion of the regular season, after 10 of 11 games or 11 of 12.

I don't expect this to actually happen, just floating an idea for discussion.

December 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Of course this won't happen, starting the playoffs on rivalry weekend. Even more teams would be affected than the three from the SWAC and the SWAC teams wouldn't forego their Thanksgiving games to play in the playoffs anyway.

LehighFan11
December 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Are you saying start the playoffs over Lehigh/Lafayette weekend....I think not! If anything start the playoffs the week after thanksgiving and end the playoffs weekend of christmas.

jmuroller
December 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
worst idea ever

December 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
worst idea everno, I think the idea to make the entire regular season part of the playoffs was worse. :rotateh:

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
very odd idea. Let's starts the season earlier. :hurray:

BlueHen86
December 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
worst idea ever
Thanks for your constructive criticism.:rolleyes:

th0m
December 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
It's hard enough to decide who gets in after 12 weeks of play (someone getting 'woofed'), so there would be even more problems after 'only' 11 weeks. Plus as has been mentioned, many rivalry games take place on the 12th weekend.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
:thumbsup: How about we just sponser two football teams per school and have two football seasons seeing how we can't get enough of it

proasu89
December 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
:thumbsup: How about we just sponser two football teams per school and have two football seasons seeing how we can't get enough of it
A Fall squad and a Spring squad. Over the last few years I've found myself looking past basketball season in anticipation of football:nod:

blukeys
December 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I don't like the idea of making special arrangements for one conference. The SWAC knows all about the playoffs since they have played in 19 games. They have made their choice for financial reasons and I respect that. If the SWAC wants to get back in they can and they know how.

umassfan
December 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
A Fall squad and a Spring squad. Over the last few years I've found myself looking past basketball season in anticipation of football:nod:
Is that because App doesnt have a quality basketball program ;)

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
I love basketball too. It's hard to get into college baseball. Especially in our municipal dump of a stadium for $6.

appfan2008
December 25th, 2006, 09:41 PM
What would be the purpose of the game on thanksgiving weekend?
If a team is already in the middle of a playoff run why in the world would they want to risk injury, plan for another game, or even possibly travel during the playoffs.
JUST STUPID

Lionsrking
December 25th, 2006, 09:53 PM

I was reading some of the threads regarding the SWAC and playoffs and it occurs to me that Thanksgiving weekend is not the best time to start the playoffs. Some schools have traditions that take precedent over the playoffs and many students are home for the holidays and attendence at games is not at its optimum level.

How about starting the playoffs during the regular season on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving weekend would be the final regular season game. Teams would play 10 games (or 11 games if schools vote for a 12 game schedule), participate in round 1 of the playoffs (or have a bye week) and then finish the regular season. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds of the playoffs would finish just as they do now.

This may sound a little goofy but Pennsylvania uses a similar formula for it's high school playoffs.

SWAC could participate

The biggest con would be that the last regular season game would have little meaning for many schools.

What do you guys think?

Realizing you made your suggestion in good faith, I think it's safe to say if it came to a vote by the committee, it would receive zero votes.

appmountaineermaniac
December 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
umassfan actually thats not the case. we recently beat virginia, central florida and vanderbilt in a 3 day span to win the san juan shootout in puerto rico. that is pretty good to beat an acc,c-usa,and sec teams in back to back to back games. we are starting to come along.

BlueHen86
December 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM
What would be the purpose of the game on thanksgiving weekend?
If a team is already in the middle of a playoff run why in the world would they want to risk injury, plan for another game, or even possibly travel during the playoffs.
JUST STUPID
This isn't the smack board. I was just throwing an idea out for discussion. It's fine if you don't like it. Posting JUST STUPID is uncalled for.

89Hen
December 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I don't like the idea of making special arrangements for one conference. The SWAC knows all about the playoffs since they have played in 19 games. They have made their choice for financial reasons and I respect that. If the SWAC wants to get back in they can and they know how.
If I'm the SWAC, there is no way I vote to move the three games in conflict to join the playoffs. :twocents:

Lehigh Football Nation
December 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
If I'm the SWAC, there is no way I vote to move the three games in conflict to join the playoffs. :twocents:

I'm still not sold as to why the SWAC games cannot be moved. I really don't see the big deal about playing the Bayou Classic and Alabama State/Tuskeegee two weeks or a week before Thanksgiving. As the Bayou Classic stands now, it's in the worst possible time slot: competing against rivalry FBS games (also against LSU when they are good), and competing against the first round of the FCS playoffs for the rest of the fans of the subdivision.

Wouldn't more FCS fans in particular be watching if it was two weeks or a week before the FCS playoffs, and if the games had playoff ramifications? I know for sure I would be following it more closely. It's the same story with the Ivy league with their games not having FCS ramifications. They're alienating hundreds of thousands (yes, that's right) of fans across that would potentially be watching these games.

:twocents:

December 26th, 2006, 10:12 AM
This isn't the smack board. I was just throwing an idea out for discussion. It's fine if you don't like it. Posting JUST STUPID is uncalled for.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Grizzaholic
December 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
So....what would I do during Thanksgiving weekend? Go to WA-Griz, stand there reminising (sp) about all of the great times I spent there instead of with family. Wait a minute, I was with my Family the whole time.

GO GRIZ

TxSt02
December 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM

SWAC could participate

What do you guys think?

delete post
ban user

BlueHen86
December 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
delete post
ban user
That was clever.
Glad to know you didn't waste any brain cells on that.

NDSUFREAK
December 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Then let's shut down the whole world on Thanksgiving. It seems like Thanksgiving is just a set up for Christmas.

BlueHen86
December 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Then let's shut down the whole world on Thanksgiving. It seems like Thanksgiving is just a set up for Christmas.
Why?
Under the plan I offered there would be MORE football on Thanksgiving.
Right now the only FCS teams playing on Thanskgiving weekend are the playoff teams, the SWAC and San Diego.

December 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
delete post
ban userI do think the mods tried that with ya but you came back anyway. xlolx

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I do think the mods tried that with ya but you came back anyway. xlolx

Man Ralph, you are full of Christmas cheer. Jokes all over the forums. :D