PDA

View Full Version : 2007 UCA Schedule

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Our buddy, Burly Bear of the UCA fan base is reporting the below schedule for the University of Central Arkansas Bears...

University of Central Arkansas
9/1 @ Louisiana Tech
9/8 @ Northwestern State
9/15 Tennessee-Martin
9/22 @ Missouri State
10/06 @ Sam Houston State Univ.
10/13 Texas State
10/20 @ Southeastern Louisiana Univ.
10/27 Nicholls State
11/03 South Dakota State Univ.
11/10 Stephen F Austin
11/17 @ McNeese State

Great schedule!
* No Div II games - which is impressive for a first year FCS program
* First game against an FBS foe (LA Tech).
* Another game against Gateway foe and UCA fan pick for potential ongoing OOC rival, Missouri State.
* Two attractive OOC home games (GWFC's South Dakota St and 2006 playoff participant Tenn-Martin from OVC).

RabidRabbit
December 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Our buddy, Burly Bear of the UCA fan base is reporting the below schedule for the University of Central Arkansas Bears...

9/1 @ Louisiana Tech
9/8 @ Northwestern State
9/15 Tennessee-Martin
9/22 @ Missouri State
10/13 Texas State
10/27 Nicholls State
11/10 Stephen F Austin
11/17 @ McNeese State

Great schedule!
* Another game against Gateway foe and UCA fan pick for potential ongoing OOC rival, Missouri State.
* Two attractive OOC home games (GWFC's South Dakota St and 2006 playoff participant Tenn-Martin from OVC).

:bow: :bow: Da Bears! How sugary tho Art xlolx xlolx

Nice tough schedule. Took the Jacks until 2007 to get away from non-DI games, and still don't have a BS team until '08. If La Tech thinks that game is a gimme, they need to review how UCA did in '06. The Bears 3 losses were to GPI top 20 teams. :hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Nice tough schedule. Took the Jacks until 2007 to get away from non-DI games, and still don't have a BS team until '08. If La Tech thinks that game is a gimme, they need to review how UCA did in '06. The Bears 3 losses were to GPI top 20 teams. :hurray: :hurray:

UCA is going to be okay this year, but I think they may drop a notch...

Conque brought in so many great recruits and will have a young team that saw winning last year and wants to win, but they lost some pretty good seniors...namely Ford and Fairooz...

UCA will be a contender if Conque continues this recruiting, but he has a program that is still clearly in the transition. Not sure it'll be as quick as some of the GWFC squads...

BEAR
December 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM

9/1 @ Louisiana Tech
9/8 @ Northwestern State
9/15 Tennessee-Martin
9/22 @ Missouri State
10/13 Texas State
10/27 Nicholls State
11/10 Stephen F Austin
11/17 @ McNeese State

Great schedule!

9/1 @ Louisiana Tech---$$$$$ money game
9/8 @ Northwestern State--New opponent
9/15 Tennessee-Martin---slim loss last time: revenge time
9/22 @ Missouri State; their house/ could prove too hard
10/06 @ Sam Houston State Univ.--DD or BB@CC/ tough to win 2x there
10/13 Texas State/ new opponent/ possible win but just don't know
10/20 @ Southeastern Louisiana Univ. new opponent/ no idea
10/27 Nicholls State/yikes
11/03 South Dakota State Univ./monsters/ yikes again
11/10 Stephen F Austin/time to jack em up again.
11/17 @ McNeese State/ ummm...who knows.

UCA really needs to get some big time BS transfers or juco players to fill in the gaps that Ford and Fairooz and a ton of other talented seniors left. I know UCA is talented and has a good core group of guys returning, but 21 is a lot to lose then to get a schedule like this..: smh : I hate the term rebuilding since this is our first full year in the FCS, but it looks like it may be that. :bang: I just hope our Southland brethren understand UCAs struggles during the year and opt not to overindulge themselves in glorious victories at our expense. But hey, somebody's got to win right! :hurray: Now onto recruiting! :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
Don't worry...

I'm not expecting UCA to come in and make an instant impact right away. If they did, it'd catch me off-guard. I look for UCA to have a great deal of new faces this year that are going to really be solid building blocks for the future. You have a great coach and some great kids that redshirted last year.

Best of luck to UCA. A winning record is definitely possible and should be the goal especially with four of the first five with all the youngsters coming on the road...

BigApp
December 22nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
thats a nice schedule!

GeauxColonels
December 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM

UCA really needs to get some big time BS transfers or juco players to fill in the gaps that Ford and Fairooz and a ton of other talented seniors left. I know UCA is talented and has a good core group of guys returning, but 21 is a lot to lose then to get a schedule like this..: smh : I hate the term rebuilding since this is our first full year in the FCS, but it looks like it may be that. :bang: I just hope our Southland brethren understand UCAs struggles during the year and opt not to overindulge themselves in glorious victories at our expense. But hey, somebody's got to win right! :hurray: Now onto recruiting! :hurray:
Yikes? Care to elaborate? Is it because of the triple-option?

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
that's a great schedule.

McNeese75
December 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=UCABEAR]University of Central Arkansas

QUOTE]

If you think Nicholls and SDSU are yikes and McNeese is a who knows, you are in for some surprises next year :nod:

BEAR
December 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yikes just implies lack of knowledge on my part..:read: :nod:

When the media covers Texas and Louisiana schools they tend to tell of football domination and great teams. :thumbsup: Since UCA has lost the 21 seniors, I am unsure of what the team chemistry will look like next year. We do have some very talented freshman now sophs playing next year but as a team playing a full schedule on a new level, that talent has to rotate every year or mediocrity or even the cellar awaits us..: smh : I can tell you from being a fan of the Bears for so many years, if we aren't at or near the top, we just aren't satisfied. :bow: I kinda went through and looked at what players are possibilities for coming back at each position or emphasis:

QB-Nathan Brown, Jr. Strong leader and solid hold on starting spot. A+
(We need a good back up QB, 3 others on campus are ?)

Run Game
Looks strong but needs depth. Good for maybe 125/game. Had some bad games last year with it. Maybe So. Matt Clinkscales can step up.

RB- Brown,Ross Sr. 823 net 74.8 /game
RB-Grimes, Brent So. 350 net 32/game

Pass Game

Threw to an average of 8 receivers per game. We lost Fairooz to the NFL. The player to look out for to receive awards is David Robinson. RBs can catch but we are going to have to replace 74 yards/ game and 42 points/year with Fairooz gone. Ouch. :bang: Averaged about 220/game.

Special teams:
Badly need help on punt return coverage. SHSU rolled us up on that one. Strange considering a couple of years ago the coverage was at the returner before the ball ever landed. Kicking game solid as usual. Sr. James Paul had 18 touchbacks on kickoffs last year and hit about 55% of his field goals.

Offense tended to score more in the early quarters while the defense took over in the last two. Gonna miss Jacob Ford and his go crush 'em attitude. Need more heart like that on the line. Defense will be good in the red zone so suck up all the yards in between, the wall hits in the 20s as usual.

Players to watch

WR David Robinson- Fast, sticky hands and a big play maker. Plus he's the type of player you can define as a real football player, not just a kid on scholarship. He knows the game.

Lane Freiwald OL 6-6 316 Watched this kid play on TV. A pure animal. Big, nasty and able to move a 10 story building with his beard...:eyebrow: I meant any defensive lineman easily..Upper body strength is phenomenal.

With over 40 sophomores, 10 or so juniors, 10 or so seniors, that leaves a ton of room for 30 or so freshman. Depending on total head count of course. That, in any book, is a very young team. Hopefully over the next few years the coaches can find some way to balance out the classes so not so many graduate at one time.

Overall I am very excited for this team and can't wait to see how the new freshman will handle the new schedule. Thanks for all the compliments and I hope UCA can get that waiting period thing cut in half so we can at least have a shot to make the playoffs..recruits love that word!:hurray:

Eaglegus2
December 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Great schedule for the Bears.

I see you play Nichols State & Stephen F. Austin.......I am still wondering why they turned down a home & home with Georgia Southern. This would be the best time to schedule GSU.

JohnStOnge
December 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
If UCA can avoid too much of a dropoff the BS opponent should be beatable. UCA will clearly be the underdog but that's not one of those hopeless matchups.

BearsCountry
December 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Great schedule for the Bears.

I see you play Nichols State & Stephen F. Austin.......I am still wondering why they turned down a home & home with Georgia Southern. This would be the best time to schedule GSU.

Nicholls and Stephen F. Austin are conference games for them now. I say the GSU deal was taken off in order to get the BS game. That or they just needed games as an indepedent.

ISUMatt
December 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Basketball, yes...Football chalk up a W

Keeper
December 25th, 2006, 02:47 AM
THAT is a "transition" schedule??

How about yikes X 11 !!!

The Ol' Southland could be back next year.
As in top to bottom strong back.

Good Luck Bears

JoshUCA
December 25th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I am ready for some BEAR Football!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: