PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Questions

SU DOG
July 31st, 2016, 06:44 PM
Article in today's Charleston P&H indicates that SoCon Teams are reluctant to schedule CSU now that they are a top tier team. My only question is how in tarnation do they manage to keep Jamey Chadwell?

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160731/160739877/charleston-southern-opens-camp-with-target-on-back

kdinva
July 31st, 2016, 08:13 PM
Article in today's Charleston P&H indicates that SoCon Teams are reluctant to schedule CSU now that they are a top tier team. My only question is how in tarnation do they manage to keep Jamey Chadwell?

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160731/160739877/charleston-southern-opens-camp-with-target-on-back

I think it's CSU's stadium that keeps folks signing a home and home......and I hope by the 2018 season their venue seats at least 8,000.....that'll help a whole lot......I think a squad like Mercer would bring 2500 to Charleston, if they had a place to sit.....same w/ElCid, maybe Furman, too....

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2016, 08:25 PM
I think it's CSU's stadium that keeps folks signing a home and home......and I hope by the 2018 season their venue seats at least 8,000.....that'll help a whole lot......I think a squad like Mercer would bring 2500 to Charleston, if they had a place to sit.....same w/ElCid, maybe Furman, too....

Furman plays a tough enough schedule, thank you.

Smitty
July 31st, 2016, 08:26 PM

Do they actually have plans to build more seats? I know they just installed turf last season.

CSU18
August 1st, 2016, 02:29 PM
It's my understanding that they're looking to double the seating capacity soon. They have not mentioned when it would happen, just that it was going to happen in the near future.

Model Citizen
August 1st, 2016, 03:05 PM
Is this the same Charleston Southern that someone in another thread claims wants the Big South to lower the scholarship limit?

rokamortis
August 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM
Is this the same Charleston Southern that someone in another thread claims wants the Big South to lower the scholarship limit?

No. It is the same Charleston Southern that someone (me) claims to be struggling to fully fund a FCS scholarship program - along with PC and GWU.

CSU is trying though. They have been playing multiple money games and using the proceeds to piece together some upgrades like lights, turf, etc.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 08:43 PM
If Chadwell stays with CSU I wouldn't be surprised to see the program really start to take off. Hopefully they get more of the success they saw last year.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:28 PM
What keeps csu out of the SoCon?

SENOREIDA
August 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
What keeps csu out of the SoCon?
Athletic facilities and quality of education.

Libertine
August 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Something to bear in mind while reading that article: the writer is a former SID at Charleston Southern who now works as a "stringer" for the P&C. He does do some local high school work but it's the equivalent of one of us slopping together 500 words about our favorite team and getting a couple bucks for it from the local paper. In fact, that same writer constitutes nearly all of CSU's print media coverage. They're usually very glowing affairs (you should have seen the positive spin he put on their zero-win season in 2011) that require a massive grain of salt to swallow.

Catamount87
August 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
So why won't any SoCon team sign a home and home agreement with CSU? You can bet your bottom dollar the 4,000 seat official capacity of Buccaneer Field has a whole lot to do with it. Shoot, they didn't even have lights until 2014.

jsnow84
August 2nd, 2016, 10:19 PM
CSU has caught lightning in a bottle the last couple of years. As soon as Chadwell is gone, if not before, they will once again be relegated to the dump heap of FCS football. They have been to the playoffs ONE time, their facilities suck, don't see the reason for the love.

rokamortis
August 3rd, 2016, 02:51 AM
Something to bear in mind while reading that article: the writer is a former SID at Charleston Southern who now works as a "stringer" for the P&C. He does do some local high school work but it's the equivalent of one of us slopping together 500 words about our favorite team and getting a couple bucks for it from the local paper. In fact, that same writer constitutes nearly all of CSU's print media coverage. They're usually very glowing affairs (you should have seen the positive spin he put on their zero-win season in 2011) that require a massive grain of salt to swallow.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering why he seemed like such a homer.

ex189
August 3rd, 2016, 09:49 AM
Athletic facilities and quality of education.
I would agree on the Athletic facilities but there is nothing wrong with the education provided at Charleston Southern. You may not agree to the Christian focus but the graduates that they produce are excellent.

jsnow84
August 3rd, 2016, 10:48 PM
I would agree on the Athletic facilities but there is nothing wrong with the education provided at Charleston Southern. You may not agree to the Christian focus but the graduates that they produce are excellent.

Especially coming from someone from CCU. Talk about a sub-par edukation, go to Myrtle Beach. :) (spelling on purpose) :)

BigSouthFan
August 4th, 2016, 08:31 AM
CSU has caught lightning in a bottle the last couple of years. As soon as Chadwell is gone, if not before, they will once again be relegated to the dump heap of FCS football. They have been to the playoffs ONE time, their facilities suck, don't see the reason for the love.

jsnow84,

I am not a fan of CSU personally. But I respect their success and I can't let you sit here and sound ignorant regarding their success! They are receiving love because the over the last 3 years, they are 28-4 against non-FCS opponents. Including multiple wins over Coastal Carolina, Liberty (as much as I hate it), The Citadel, wins over App State, a transitioning UNC Charlotte and more. 1 of their 4 FBS losses was a 1-point thriller against an SEC opponent. Their defense has spent WEEKS at #1 statistic wise in total defense in the nation, and the team has spent numerous weeks in both the Top 25 and Top 10. Maybe they will fall off without Chadwell, who knows? But not ANY sooner. That is a VERY GOOD football team down in Charleston, SC and they deserve every bit of the love they are receiving. Hell, give them props for doing what they do with the facilities they have, that's impressive not a negative point. The coaches and players don't control that they just play the game.

chattanoogamocs
August 5th, 2016, 02:57 AM
And, of course, it is not just football that has a small venue...

CSU Field House (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSU_Field_House) - home of the Men's and Women's Basketball teams. It has a capacity of 881 spectators. It is the 2nd smallest arena in Division I basketball.