PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: ETSU president supports the return of football

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-12-22-0026.html

89rabbit
December 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Cool! :thumbsup:

henfan
December 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shouldn't have been cancelled to begin with.

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shouldn't have been cancelled to begin with.

I agree. It's going to cost SOOOO much more than it would have if they would have just built a new stadium...

ETSU-06
December 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
This is great news!:hurray: We still have a long road to haul though. I'm guessing that fundraising will begin almost immediately but we're not going to have an absolute certainty that football will return until this June. I've heard that the TBR has approved similar fees for other schools like Austin Peay, so hopefully they'll do the same for us.

$10-15 million for a stadium actually sounds cheap to me. Is that about right for CS schools? The idea of an on campus outdoor stadium will generate enough community support to make it happen. ETSU just conducted a very successful grassroots fundraising campaign for their pharmacy school, so they know how to make money.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Students will push this forward...

Comes down to the board of regents...

Can't wait to see the return of ETSU football to FCS!

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
ETSU just conducted a very successful grassroots fundraising campaign for their pharmacy school, so they know how to make money.

That is true, I just hope that haven't tapped out all their resources.

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Let's go ETSU!:hurray:

OL FU
December 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
This is great news!:hurray: We still have a long road to haul though. I'm guessing that fundraising will begin almost immediately but we're not going to have an absolute certainty that football will return until this June. I've heard that the TBR has approved similar fees for other schools like Austin Peay, so hopefully they'll do the same for us.

$10-15 million for a stadium actually sounds cheap to me. Is that about right for CS schools? The idea of an on campus outdoor stadium will generate enough community support to make it happen. ETSU just conducted a very successful grassroots fundraising campaign for their pharmacy school, so they know how to make money.

1) I wish you luck and hope it succeeds.

2) Is this the same president that supported ending football? ( I promise I will not make a smart comment, just want to know without doing the research)

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
2) Is this the same president that supported ending football? ( I promise I will not make a smart comment, just want to know without doing the research)

Yes. No mention of that in the story, though.:rolleyes:

OL FU
December 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Dick Sheridan is going to have his finger prints on all the new programs

CCU, ODU and now the oldest new program ETSU

ETSU-06
December 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Same president:new outlook. Stanton has been regarded as a goat around here ever since he axed football, and I don't think he liked that. Rumor by almost consensus is that he is going to be retiring soon and that this was his last major project to get done. I think he saw what a dumb idea dropping football was and now wants to mend some fences and make his legacy appear better.

OL FU
December 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Same president:new outlook. Stanton has been regarded as a goat around here ever since he axed football, and I don't think he liked that. Rumor by almost consensus is that he is going to be retiring soon and that this was his last major project to get done. I think he saw what a dumb idea dropping football was and now wants to mend some fences and make his legacy appear better.

Glad to see that he has realized the error of his ways.

Heres to the return of Buccaneer Football:beerchug:

dbackjon
December 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Awesome!!

I have some good friends who WERE ETSU season ticket holders - they are pumped.

Sawtooth
December 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
I clicked the link and read the Task Force Report, and what surprised (and encouraged) me more were the results of the Faculty/Staff survey. Almost 60% of the faculty/staff support the return of intercollegiate football, and only 14% disagree with it. If that isn't an endorsement of the importance of football/athletics to a university, then I don't know what is.