PDA

View Full Version : summer on campus?

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 09:52 AM
How many ballers from your school stay on campus in summer time to work out?
Use schools facilities? Who pays to feed them ? Training table? Athletic dept.? Booster funds?
How about housing costs? Finding jobs? Etc.?

http://twitter.com/RhodyFootball/status/753944863825985537/photo/1

Go Green
July 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Dartmouth actually requires all students ending their sophomore year to remain on campus for the summer quarter (allows us to matriculate more students without increasing housing). So we have at least a third of the team there. And quite a few other players usually stick around as well.

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Go Green-who pays?
Where does the $$ come from?

Gangtackle11
July 23rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
Villanova football takes summer classes & workout.

Tribe4SF
July 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
Tribe has about 70 on campus. Not sure on housing, but meals are funded by Mike Tomlin.

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks Tribe.
any idea the cost of the food?

Go Green
July 23rd, 2016, 11:09 AM
Go Green-who pays?

They take off some other quarter. It all evens out. College is basically running all year.

underdawg
July 23rd, 2016, 01:42 PM
How many ballers from your school stay on campus in summer time to work out?
Use schools facilities? Who pays to feed them ? Training table? Athletic dept.? Booster funds?
How about housing costs? Finding jobs? Etc.?

http://twitter.com/RhodyFootball/status/753944863825985537/photo/1

all the footballers and most of the basketball players except Rudy Stradnieks who's on the Latvian National team this summer

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Underdawg-who pays for it?

underdawg
July 23rd, 2016, 02:18 PM
They're on what's called an "athletic scholarship"xlolx I'm sure you've heard of it

IBleedYellow
July 23rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
Go Green-who pays?
Scholarship.

Most athletes take a smaller class load during their semester that their sports season occurs.

Crazy, I know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bisonwinagn
July 23rd, 2016, 03:16 PM
Scholarship.

Most athletes take a smaller class load during their semester that their sports season occurs.

Crazy, I know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Explain this in more detail if you know. Most assume a full ride covers everything for fall and spring semesters. The question is how do scholarships or money in general apply to summer?? Aren't players on their own if they want to go to summer school?

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
Underdawg,I was on scholarship in college (unlike you), they do not pay for summer room and board. If not in class?
I am with Bison on this one. I would need to see a scholarship in writing from S. Illinois that says that. Its an NCAA document isn't it?

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Ibleed,let me rephrase this ,during summer break if a player stays on campus to work out and is not a student (in class). Who pays the room and board?
To feed them mainly?

Hammersmith
July 23rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Explain this in more detail if you know. Most assume a full ride covers everything for fall and spring semesters. The question is how do scholarships or money in general apply to summer?? Aren't players on their own if they want to go to summer school?

Schools have the option to give out summer school scholarships if they choose. Many(most?) don't, but some do. NDSU gives out at least some, but I'm not sure if it's the full 63 for football. Back before the FCOA decision, Matt Larson said he was more interested in getting summer scholarships fully funded than FCOA. With NDSU now giving out FCOA, I don't know if that means summer scholarships are also fully funded or if priorities were forced to change.

If they're not going to summer school on scholarship, then they're on their own. Paying for a student to live on campus while not attending class would be an improper benefit.

Little Stevie
July 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Hammersmith-thank you-amen!!

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Looks like they just play kickball all summer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoMocsVision/status/756229145886093312/video/1

kdinva
July 23rd, 2016, 08:54 PM
At VMI, the Keydet Club solicits donations to cover cadet/athletes to attend summer school, work out, eat, sleep, etc......a solid 6-figure endowment above and beyond the "normal" K-Club fund raisers.

Twentysix
July 23rd, 2016, 09:07 PM
Why are they keydets? Is it something other than a derpy (bizarre) way to say cadet?

Bisonoline
July 24th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Schools have the option to give out summer school scholarships if they choose. Many(most?) don't, but some do. NDSU gives out at least some, but I'm not sure if it's the full 63 for football. Back before the FCOA decision, Matt Larson said he was more interested in getting summer scholarships fully funded than FCOA. With NDSU now giving out FCOA, I don't know if that means summer scholarships are also fully funded or if priorities were forced to change.

If they're not going to summer school on scholarship, then they're on their own. Paying for a student to live on campus while not attending class would be an improper benefit.

But many have summer jobs.

dgtw
July 24th, 2016, 03:45 AM
Seems like it would be in the school's best interest to have them in summer school. They have a chance to knock out some credits and have easy access to workout facilities. Plus they are on campus where the coach can keep an eye on them and have less free time on their hands which reduces the chances of them doing something stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Green
July 24th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Ibleed,let me rephrase this ,during summer break if a player stays on campus to work out and is not a student (in class). Who pays the room and board?
To feed them mainly?

That's not what's going on at Dartmouth. The (almost-finished) sophomores are taking classes. They are expected to take their vacation some other quarter. And of course, the football players will always opt to vacation in either the winter or spring quarters in that regard.

kdinva
July 24th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Why are they keydets?

southern drawl for "Cadet".

Twentysix
July 24th, 2016, 01:44 PM
southern drawl for "Cadet".

I was hoping this wasn't the answer. :(

eiu1999
July 24th, 2016, 03:35 PM
No idea.

Hammersmith
July 24th, 2016, 07:50 PM
But many have summer jobs.

Not saying they don't. There are many different cases among the approx. 100 fb student athletes.

1. Some are taking summer classes, getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
2. Some are taking summer classes, getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
3. Some are taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
4. Some are taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
5. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
6. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
7. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, not working out at school, and working a summer job at home

etc., etc., etc.

I suspect NDSU funds more summer scholarships than is typical in FCS, but I don't know if they're maxed out to 63. I suspect the vast majority of FCS don't fund any summer scholarships at all. I suspect the P5 are at or near the max, but I also suspect much of the G5 are not. I'm quite sure NDSU does not fund summer scholarships fully across the board(all sports), but I don't know where the line is.

Bisonoline
July 24th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Not saying they don't. There are many different cases among the approx. 100 fb student athletes.

1. Some are taking summer classes, getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
2. Some are taking summer classes, getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
3. Some are taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
4. Some are taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
5. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and working a summer job
6. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, working out, and not working a summer job
7. Some are not taking summer classes, not getting summer scholarships, not working out at school, and working a summer job at home

etc., etc., etc.

I suspect NDSU funds more summer scholarships than is typical in FCS, but I don't know if they're maxed out to 63. I suspect the vast majority of FCS don't fund any summer scholarships at all. I suspect the P5 are at or near the max, but I also suspect much of the G5 are not. I'm quite sure NDSU does not fund summer scholarships fully across the board(all sports), but I don't know where the line is.

I had no idea that there was a thing like a summer scholarship.. Never heard of it. I will have to make a call and get some details on this. Thanks for the heads up.

underdawg
July 24th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Underdawg,I was on scholarship in college (unlike you), they do not pay for summer room and board. If not in class?
I am with Bison on this one. I would need to see a scholarship in writing from S. Illinois that says that. Its an NCAA document isn't it?

Sorry I was on an academic one, my football skills were limited--the kids are taking summer classes and they are paid for--in fact, all the freshmen started this summer-And it is paid for by their athletic scholarship, period

Hammersmith
July 24th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I had no idea that there was a thing like a summer scholarship.. Never heard of it. I will have to make a call and get some details on this. Thanks for the heads up.

I was hoping to find the quote from Matt Larsen, but I haven't had any luck. It might have been a radio interview. He made it in very late 2014 or early 2015 when the P5 were discussing FCOA. I can't remember if the quote came before or after the mid-January vote.

Bisonator
July 24th, 2016, 09:38 PM
A scholarship is a scholarship. I don't think it matters whether you take classes in the fall, spring or summer as long as you complete a certain number of credits during a calendar year.

Twentysix
July 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM
A scholarship is a scholarship. I don't think it matters whether you take classes in the fall, spring or summer as long as you complete a certain number of credits during a calendar year.

I don't think this is right. It certainly isn't right outside of athletics. Typical scholarships have academic year limitations (Fall-Spring). I would think any summer scholarships would be in addition to their already earned scholarship, i.e. a completely separate scholarship.

The only part of my academic package that continues into the summer is my health insurance, everything else is gone during the summer.

Bisonoline
July 24th, 2016, 09:55 PM

You have to carry a minimum number of credits during the semester of when your sport is active. It used to be 16 I think. That why we usually took more in the second semester. There was no summer school when I played unless you need to take classes to remain eligible and I think you had to pay for them yourself.. Obviously rules have changed.

Lets not forget if you take the minimum number of credits during the football season you have to pass all of your courses or you will be academically ineligible from participating in any post season activity.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 25th, 2016, 12:09 PM
lots of bake sales