PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Results - Big Sky Conference Preseason Rankings- 2016 SEASON

AGSPoll
July 20th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Results for 07/20/2016 AGS Poll:

Big Sky Conference

Portland State Vikings

Montana Grizzlies

Eastern Washington Eagles

Northern Arizona Lumberjacks

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Montana State Bobcats

Southern Utah Thunderbirds

Cal Poly Mustangs

Weber State Wildcats

Northern Colorado Bears

UC Davis Aggies

Idaho State Bengals

Sacramento State Hornets

Professor Chaos
July 20th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Here's the media and coaches polls for comparison: http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/7/12/FB_0712161745.aspx

Coaches Poll
1. Northern Arizona (8) 132
T2. Portland State (2) 121
T2. Montana 121
4. Eastern Washington (2) 112
5. North Dakota (1) 105
6. Weber State 83
T7. Southern Utah 73
T7. Montana State 73
9. Cal Poly 66
10. Northern Colorado 43
11. Sacramento State 30
12. Idaho State 24
13. UC Davis 23

Media Poll
1. Northern Arizona (8) 287
2. Montana (7) 283
3. Eastern Washington (5) 269
4. North Dakota (2) 262
5. Portland State (3) 252
6. Weber State 174
7. Southern Utah 162
8. Montana State 157
9. Cal Poly 153
10. Northern Colorado 111
11. Idaho State 58
12. UC Davis 56
13. Sacramento State 50

Quite a bit of variance between the three. We'll see who gets bragging rights come November. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Here's the media and coaches polls for comparison: http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/7/12/FB_0712161745.aspx

Coaches Poll
1. Northern Arizona (8) 132
T2. Portland State (2) 121
T2. Montana 121
4. Eastern Washington (2) 112
5. North Dakota (1) 105
6. Weber State 83
T7. Southern Utah 73
T7. Montana State 73
9. Cal Poly 66
10. Northern Colorado 43
11. Sacramento State 30
12. Idaho State 24
13. UC Davis 23

Media Poll
1. Northern Arizona (8) 287
2. Montana (7) 283
3. Eastern Washington (5) 269
4. North Dakota (2) 262
5. Portland State (3) 252
6. Weber State 174
7. Southern Utah 162
8. Montana State 157
9. Cal Poly 153
10. Northern Colorado 111
11. Idaho State 58
12. UC Davis 56
13. Sacramento State 50

Quite a bit of variance between the three. We'll see who gets bragging rights come November. xlolx

Yeah, I think NAU is being undervalued right now just because of how really magnificent their "ceiling" seems to me with Cookus but in reality they can and have **** the bed a lot so tough call. I like em' at 2 or 3 for sure but 4 seems one slot low at least.

Twentysix
July 20th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I find it hard to believe UND won't be 1 2 or 3. I mean they have to be genuinely awful to not run the table or be damn close with that schedule.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I find it hard to believe UND won't be 1 2 or 3. I mean they have to be genuinely awful to not run the table or be damn close with that schedule.

Agree, I honestly don't think very many people from any of the polls are taking that into account.

mvemjsunpx
July 20th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Agree, I honestly don't think very many people from any of the polls are taking that into account.

I had them going 6-2, losing to NAU at home and NoCo in Greeley.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2016, 01:46 PM

Is Greeley a second long road trip in a row or something?

F'N Hawks
July 20th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Every team in the country that isn't completely awful would go 10-1 or 11-0 with that schedule. Makes sense.

F'N Hawks
July 20th, 2016, 01:50 PM

No, UND alternates home and road the entire way after Stony Brook and Bowling Green. No bye week either, which could play a big part.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 20th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Why is everyone so high on EWU?? That line is going to be torn apart for at least the first half of the season while the youngsters get their bearings. I would put them at 5-6

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Why is everyone so high on EWU?? That line is going to be torn apart for at least the first half of the season while the youngsters get their bearings. I would put them at 5-6

That is possible. One thing I know about EWU in the last 10 to 15 yrs. is that they are a truly resilient team that can find ways to mask deficiencies against a good team. Only great teams will take them apart when they are hampered. I'd move NAU above MT and move the list down which doesn't change a bunch but switches those a bit and puts EWU close to where you think.

mvemjsunpx
July 20th, 2016, 03:05 PM

NoCo went 6-5 last year, albeit with a terrible non-conf. schedule, and graduated very little.

They did beat PSU last year…

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2016, 03:20 PM
NoCo went 6-5 last year, albeit with a terrible non-conf. schedule, and graduated very little.

They did beat PSU last year…

Oh I'm aware of that but I wouldn't give em' the edge even based on that so I figured I'd see if there was another reason cuz at best I think even at home UNC is gonna be the underdog. Surely could be that way as it always can in early season coin flip prognostications especially if it's the 2nd week of some long road trips...which I didn't look at...still.

BisonTru
July 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Having spent some time looking over this conference and making a ranking. This is my conclusion, "who in the hell knows?" I can't even argue against the guy that ranked WSU #1. IDK, **** it, maybe.

UNDColorado
July 20th, 2016, 04:10 PM
This year is going to be a crap shoot. I would have had a hard time trying to guess who #1 will be. Should make for an interesting year though.

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2016, 04:11 PM
If both teams are healthy UND should handle Northern Colorado this year. NC is improving but so is UND and we really took it to them last year. The more I look at our schedule the more I think the USD game may end up being the toughest.

mvemjsunpx
July 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Having spent some time looking over this conference and making a ranking. This is my conclusion, "who in the hell knows?" I can't even argue against the guy that ranked WSU #1. IDK, **** it, maybe.

That was me… in a 4-way tie, though.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2016, 04:54 PM
If both teams are healthy UND should handle Northern Colorado this year. NC is improving but so is UND and we really took it to them last year. The more I look at our schedule the more I think the USD game may end up being the toughest.

Pretty sad when you consider they will probably finish second to last in the MVFC.

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Pretty sad when you consider they will probably finish second to last in the MVFC.
Below Missouri St?

clenz
July 20th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Below Missouri St?

MSU will be bottom and it will be a dog fight between USD, SIU and ISUb for 7 8 and 9

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Well since this is my first year, I feel the best way to make it better is to make it public, so here it is:

1: Montana Grizzlies
2: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
3: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
4: Portland State Vikings
5: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
6: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: Montana State Bobcats
8: Cal Poly Mustangs
9: Weber State Wildcats
10: Northern Colorado Bears
11: Sacramento State Hornets
12: Idaho State Bengals
13: UC Davis Aggies

POD Knows
July 20th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Below Missouri St?

Missouri State will be last, USD be next in line, or at least that is how I had them in my poll. Who knows, USD might surprise some people.

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2016, 05:17 PM
MSU will be bottom and it will be a dog fight between USD, SIU and ISUb for 7 8 and 9
I think USD will be pretty motivated for the UND game. Old time rivals from the NCC. We used to play for the Sitting Bull trophy. They always struggle to win in Grand Forks. Bubba vs Bob from their days at Duluth. Our former Big Sky regional mate who backed out at the last second. MVFC vs Big Sky, even though this will be an old fashioned MVFC type game. I think it will be a highly competitive game.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 20th, 2016, 06:54 PM

MSU will once again be everyone's bottom...... Only a couple years away from being a power bottom......

dudeitsaid
July 20th, 2016, 07:04 PM

Hate to say it, but I think this is true. This is going to be a tough year for the offense, even with Cooper Kupp.

Next three years...I predict a resurgence to top of the conference again.

SeattleBobcat
July 20th, 2016, 09:41 PM
That is possible. One thing I know about EWU in the last 10 to 15 yrs. is that they are a truly resilient team that can find ways to mask deficiencies against a good team. Only great teams will take them apart when they are hampered. I'd move NAU above MT and move the list down which doesn't change a bunch but switches those a bit and puts EWU close to where you think.

I agree with Ursus, NAU above UM and it's a pretty solid poll imo. I also agree don't bet against EWU... Especially with Kupp around, he's amazeballs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 20th, 2016, 09:49 PM
It's weird to see Montana State so far down. I'm interested to see how they do under the new coach.

mvemjsunpx
July 21st, 2016, 12:55 AM
I also agree don't bet against EWU... Especially with Kupp around, he's amazeballs.

They lost their entire O-Line, though. In fact, they only have one upperclassman anywhere on the roster at those positions.

clenz
July 21st, 2016, 07:14 AM
They lost their entire O-Line, though. In fact, they only have one upperclassman anywhere on the roster at those positions.
NDSU and UNI are just salivating at the thought of facing that line.

Yes, both NDSU and UNI have some questions in the secondary and EWU had Cooper....but...tough to get him the ball when you've got 2 or 3 opposing players in the backfield before you finish a 3 step drop, even from the gun

F'N Hawks
July 21st, 2016, 08:20 AM
I realize it's en vogue to hyper-analyze UND's Big Sky schedule but has anybody cared to look at Portland State's? Arguably worse.

clenz
July 21st, 2016, 08:49 AM
Central Washington D2

Stony Brook

San Jose State FBS
Bowling Green FBS

Wasington FBS
South Dakota

Southern Utah
Montana State

Idaho State
Cal Poly

Weber State
Sac State

Cal Poly
Southern Utah

Northern Colorado
Idaho State

UC Davis
Weber State

Sac State
Northern Colorado

EWU
Northern Arizona

Common BSC opponents
Southern Utah
Idaho State
Weber State
Cal Poly
Northern Colorado
Sac State

To determine tougher schedule it essentially becomes:
UC Davis vs Montana State
EWU vs Northern Arizona

PSU has, in the AGS preseason poll, has #3 and #11
UND has # 4 and #6

There's a solid argument that UND has the tougher BSC slate...though both are cake

PSU likely isn't discussed because their OOC is significantly better than UND so they are more likely to have a worse record.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 08:54 AM

The schedule does benefit us in terms of having a good shot to win the BSC and make the playoffs, but it doesn't do us any favors in terms of playing consistently good teams and prepping to win in the playoffs. I'm hoping the team can really gel by the time NAU rolls around and beat a good team to head into the bye week and then then into the playoffs.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 08:58 AM

Playing on the road is certainly different than playing at home, but unless we are completely decimated by injuries I just don't see us losing to N Colorado after the way we completely manhandled them last year. I would say a road loss to MT St, would be more likely.

As for NAU, who know? We tend to play well at home, but Cookus is a stud. It'll be interesting to see if they live up to their preseason poll status. They certainly have the talent, but they also play some tough teams. Would be fun as a UND fan to see that game be for the Big Sky Championship. Might not be though ... long season to get to that point.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 09:02 AM

Not sure, they have the schedule from hell and I just don't see there defense automatically being better at the beginning of the season. Like you said, I think they get torn apart for the first half of the season before they start to gel. Watch for them to be much improved next year.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 09:04 AM
Every team in the country that isn't completely awful would go 10-1 or 11-0 with that schedule. Makes sense.

Only 3 or 4 years ago, with this schedule, we would still probably be around .500. Thank goodness we have a coach who know how to make changes and set expectations.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 09:08 AM

Pretty spot on assessment. Big Sky is wide open this year. I don't see Weber winning, but that isn't to say they couldn't. They beat Montana in Missoula last year, who's to say they couldn't get a few more big wins this season.

JALMOND
July 21st, 2016, 09:22 AM
Central Washington D2
Stony Brook

San Jose State FBS
Bowling Green FBS

Wasington FBS
South Dakota

Southern Utah
Montana State

Idaho State
Cal Poly

Weber State
Sac State

Cal Poly
Southern Utah

Northern Colorado
Idaho State

UC Davis
Weber State

Sac State
Northern Colorado

EWU
Northern Arizona

Common BSC opponents
Southern Utah
Idaho State
Weber State
Cal Poly
Northern Colorado
Sac State

To determine tougher schedule it essentially becomes:
UC Davis vs Montana State
EWU vs Northern Arizona

PSU has, in the AGS preseason poll, has #3 and #11
UND has # 4 and #6

There's a solid argument that UND has the tougher BSC slate...though both are cake

PSU likely isn't discussed because their OOC is significantly better than UND so they are more likely to have a worse record.

Both San Jose and U-Dub went bowling last year, and the Huskies are picked in many polls to finish this season second in the Pac-12 North behind Stanford, so we do have a strong OOC schedule to make up for the weak conference schedule. We miss NAU, North Dakota and the Griz this year (nice quirk in the schedule), although I'm thinking if we qualify for the playoffs, we are probably on the road against either NAU or the Griz first round. Things tend to balance out eventually.

nevadagriz
July 21st, 2016, 09:49 AM
Both psu and und will be 1-2 after 3 games is my prediction.

geaux_sioux
July 21st, 2016, 10:21 AM
Both psu and und will be 1-2 after 3 games is my prediction.
With losses to who?

clenz
July 21st, 2016, 10:25 AM
With losses to who?

PSU: SJSU and Washington
UND: USD and Bowling Green

F'N Hawks
July 21st, 2016, 10:49 AM

Can't lose. If USD beats UND then you predicted it and UND sucks. When UND wins it goes back to other statements that USD sucks anyway and will finish 9th in MVFC.

nevadagriz
July 21st, 2016, 11:27 AM
With losses to who?
stony brook and bowling green. Just my wild prediction. Don't sleep on the cats in game four in bozeman.
I also predict the Griz get rolled by UNI. I'm talking ndsu round two style.

siouxfan512
July 21st, 2016, 11:30 AM
PSU: SJSU and Washington

Of course this is possible, but I don't see us dropping the USD game at home. I think they are a scrappy team, and are certainly capable of winning big road games as they showed last year in Fargo, but I think they will still be adjusting to a new coach.

BGSU is obviously going to be a favorite to beat UND, but they lost their stud QB, something like 4 receivers, their starting RB and others. They do have very capable replacements at QB and RB. They also have a new coach, who may implement a new system, and their defense showed to be very susceptible to the run game last year. A ton of question marks that need to be answered for BGSU. Again, they will be favored, but this is a winnable game for UND. Very excited to watch this one.

Grizalltheway
July 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
stony brook and bowling green. Just my wild prediction. Don't sleep on the cats in game four in bozeman.
I also predict the Griz get rolled by UNI. I'm talking ndsu round two style.

How many points you giving?

I don't think Stitt and co. are the kind of coaches who would have a season end like that and not do everything possible to prevent it from happening again.

clenz
July 21st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Can't lose. If USD beats UND then you predicted it and UND sucks. When UND wins it goes back to other statements that USD sucks anyway and will finish 9th in MVFC.
Meh...I didn't say I predicted UND to lose to USD, did I?

If a 1-2 start happens those are the most likely loses.

UNDColorado
July 21st, 2016, 11:37 AM
I like our chances against Stony. They are a run first team and we have proven to be difficult to run against while returning great depth on D line and linebacker. It looks like they are returning a solid defense so it likely will depend on where our offense is at. I would bet on a low scoring game regardless of outcome.

nevadagriz
July 21st, 2016, 11:44 AM
How many points you giving?

I don't think Stitt and co. are the kind of coaches who would have a season end like that and not do everything possible to prevent it from happening again.
Griz have not played well on the road in 6-7 years.
New group of receivers who will be great but this game is early.
Lots of new faces on defense and again it is early.
Hostile environment and great opponent!
IF I had to give points I would say 17 but game will not seem that close.
I really do hope i'm wrong.

nevadagriz
July 21st, 2016, 11:47 AM
I like our chances against Stony. They are a run first team and we have proven to be difficult to run against while returning great depth on D line and linebacker. It looks like they are returning a solid defense so it likely will depend on where our offense is at. I would bet on a low scoring game regardless of outcome.
Hey you guys may go undefeated, I am making a prediction from what I thought when I saw those two schedules posted.

F'N Hawks
July 21st, 2016, 11:56 AM
UND is not going undefeated. This whole easy schedule thing is getting blown out of proportion. They are still barely a Top 20 team.

UNDColorado
July 21st, 2016, 12:01 PM
Hey you guys may go undefeated, I am making a prediction from what I thought when I saw those two schedules posted.

Right on. I also don't think we go undefeated as Sioux previously mentioned. We aren't that good yet.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 21st, 2016, 12:58 PM

I agree..there schedule is freaking brutal...and that new line gets to start out with Wash State...NDSU..UNI..and No Arizona...thats brutal..than end the season with Montana Cal Poly and Portland State for 3 out of their last 4????? There only break is mid season when they get UC Davis No Col and Montana State all in a row....theyre in for it

geaux_sioux
July 21st, 2016, 03:09 PM
In no way do I think UND will go undefeated this year but I do think 9 wins is entirely possible if we stay relatively healthy. This is very dependent on our OL gelling early on with a bunch of new starters.

siouxfan512
July 22nd, 2016, 08:46 AM
I also do not see UND going undefeated. That is a very difficult thing to accomplish, even with and easy schedule and a great team. To be clear we do have an easy schedule (compared to others) but we do still play some squads that are more than capable of winning. And as much emphasis as Sioux fans like to put on the direction of this team (myself included) we are not and unstoppable force. I truly believe there is potential to win against any team they play, but UND needs to show proven consistency and depth. All together, it should be a really fun season for the UND players and fans.

F'N Hawks
July 22nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
I also do not see UND going undefeated. That is a very difficult thing to accomplish, even with and easy schedule and a great team. To be clear we do have an easy schedule (compared to others) but we do still play some squads that are more than capable of winning. And as much emphasis as Sioux fans like to put on the direction of this team (myself included) we are not and unstoppable force. I truly believe there is potential to win against any team they play, but UND needs to show proven consistency and depth. All together, it should be a really fun season for the UND players and fans.

For the record I am predicting 8-3 for UND. Injuries will pop up and their depth is thin at CB and QB, two bad positions to be thin at. Montana and Weber fans saw last season how unbelievably poor our backup QB is. If Studsrud goes down UND is in trouble. For some reason the staff did not address it with a competent Juco in the off season.

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
For the record I am predicting 8-3 for UND. Injuries will pop up and their depth is thin at CB and QB, two bad positions to be thin at. Montana and Weber fans saw last season how unbelievably poor our backup QB is. If Studsrud goes down UND is in trouble. For some reason the staff did not address it with a competent Juco in the off season.

You go 8-3 with that strength of schedule, you might not make the playoffs :D

IBleedYellow
July 22nd, 2016, 09:06 AM

Don't make them angry.

F'N Hawks
July 22nd, 2016, 09:15 AM
Don't make them angry.

Why?

F'N Hawks
July 22nd, 2016, 09:17 AM

The best thing UND can do is lose to Bowling Green & Northern Arizona and then beat the worst teams on their schedule.

That is the key to getting a playoff berth. Beat the worst, lose to the best.

Yours Truly,

Mark Wilson

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
The best thing UND can do is lose to Bowling Green & Northern Arizona and then beat the worst teams on their schedule.

That is the key to getting a playoff berth. Beat the worst, lose to the best.

Yours Truly,

Mark Wilson

There is no "best" on your schedule this fall.

F'N Hawks
July 22nd, 2016, 09:23 AM
There is no "best" on your schedule this fall.

What do you mean?

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
What do you mean?

Schedule was the biggest word I used, the rest were 5 letters or less? It was a pretty simple sentence.

F'N Hawks
July 22nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
Schedule was the biggest word I used, the rest were 5 letters or less? It was a pretty simple sentence.

There really wasn't a "biggest" word in that sentence. All were pretty simple.

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
There really wasn't a "biggest" word in that sentence. All were pretty simple.

Ok, UND's schedule is pretty weak, all their competitive conference games are home games. You don't have to play EWU, Montana or PSU. It is a cupcake schedule but I doubt that UND would miss the playoffs with a 8-3 record, I was just trolling you.

siouxfan512
July 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM
Ok, UND's schedule is pretty weak, all their competitive conference games are home games. You don't have to play EWU, Montana or PSU. It is a cupcake schedule but I doubt that UND would miss the playoffs with a 8-3 record, I was just trolling you.

Thanks for beating the dead horse. UND's schedule strength has already been discussed and acknowledge several times. Maybe I missed some sort of new NCAA rule where fans are supposed to apologize for league scheduling being weak?

Get over yourself.

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks for beating the dead horse. UND's schedule strength has already been discussed and acknowledge several times. Maybe I missed some sort of new NCAA rule where fans are supposed to apologize for league scheduling being weak?

Get over yourself.

I know it is weak and I know it has been discussed before but the other F'Hawk fan didn't get sarcasm, so I elaborated. I could have inserted all of the concern and worry from the F'Hawks fans regarding the games against powerhouses USD and Stoney Brook but I didn't.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2016, 11:30 AM

I caught the sarcasm but I have to think EWU will be down this year. They have a brutal schedule and questionable depth on their lines from what I have read and heard. Cupp will still get his yards and scores though. I look forward to watching that kid in the NFL.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2016, 11:33 AM
I couldn't easily locate a uniform thread but since we are talking UND, check out these new grey jerseys:

https://twitter.com/UNDfootball/status/756518201417093121/photo/1

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
I caught the sarcasm but I have to think EWU will be down this year. They have a brutal schedule and questionable depth on their lines from what I have read and heard. Cupp will still get his yards and scores though. I look forward to watching that kid in the NFL.

Yea, I am looking to the EWU game in Fargo, I really have absolutely no idea what to expect. Generally a receiver, regardless of how good they are, won't really dictate a game without other support. EWU does have a tough schedule and I expect that they will finish behind UND in the BSC.

smilo
July 22nd, 2016, 12:47 PM
I didn't come in here looking at schedules except for UND because I've read just that much about it on here.

1: Portland State Vikings
2: Montana Grizzlies
3: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
4: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
5: Cal Poly Mustangs
6: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
8: Montana State Bobcats
9: UC Davis Aggies
10: Weber State Wildcats
11: Idaho State Bengals
12: Northern Colorado Bears
13: Sacramento State Hornets

If I could redo, I might switch CP and SUU. I feel weird having Weber that low, but I have no idea what to do with them. They could be anywhere; a number of these teams could be, but honestly, between 2 and 11 would not surprise me.

Schism55
July 22nd, 2016, 03:14 PM
I couldn't easily locate a uniform thread but since we are talking UND, check out these new grey jerseys:

https://twitter.com/UNDfootball/status/756518201417093121/photo/1
Meh, those are less than great.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Meh, those are less than great.

Coming from a NDSU fan I would consider that a compliment xthumbsupx

Twentysix
July 24th, 2016, 12:34 AM
1:*Portland State Vikings
2:*North Dakota Fighting Hawks
3:*Montana Grizzlies
4:*Southern Utah Thunderbirds
5:*Eastern Washington Eagles
6:*Cal Poly Mustangs
7:*Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
8:*Montana State Bobcats
9:*Northern Colorado Bears
10:*UC Davis Aggies
11:*Idaho State Bengals
12:*Weber State Wildcats
13:*Sacramento State Hornets

There are too many teams in this conference.

Twentysix
July 24th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Top 4 make the playoffs

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 24th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I didn't fill out a ballot but here are my thoughts:

1. UND
2. Northern Arizona
3. Montana
4. Portland State
5. EWU
6. SUU
7. Montana State
8. UNC
9. ISU
10. Davis
11. Weber State
12. Sacramento State

SDFS
July 24th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I didn't fill out a ballot but here are my thoughts:

1. UND
2. Northern Arizona
3. Montana
4. Portland State
5. EWU
6. SUU
7. Montana State
8. UNC
9. ISU
10. Davis
11. Weber State
12. Sacramento State

You forgot about Cal Poly

SDFS
July 24th, 2016, 12:16 PM
In general, the BSC conference needs to work on scheduling in the nonconference. I know a lot of the problems are driven by geography as in not many teams west of the Mississippi:

Overall Numbers:
- Only 15 home non-conf games or 42%
- Of those home games 47% are DII which are counted toward “7” wins but it is a partial win in the playoff formula.
- 42% are FBS games
- The combination of FBS and DII account for 61% of the games. Not a good formula for making the playoffs.
- Only 2 schools have more than 1 home non-conference games – UM and MSU
- The following schools only have 1 home game but they are DII – ISU, NAU, UNC, PSU, Sac St and Cal Davis.
- Big Sky plays MVFC 7 time in inter-conference play but only 2 home games.

You typically see the following types of scheduling formulas in the BSC:
o Power school schedule: 1 FBS or FCS (H/H) and 2 H (counter)
- UM, MSU
o Typical – 1 FBS and 2 FCS (H/H) or 1 FBS, 1 FCS (H/H) and 1 H (counter)
- EWU, UND, Weber St., Poly
o Near Typical – but hurts playoff chances - 1 FBS, 1 FCS (H/H), 1 H (DII)
- NAU, UNC, Sac St
o Playoffs? – we need money – 2 FBS, 1 H (DII) or 2 FBS, FCS (H/H)
- ISU, PSU, UC-Davis, SUU

Over 50% of the conference has basically scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. I would say that PSU and SUU beat the odds last year by winning 2 FBS games and the other with a favorable conference schedule.

BisonTru
July 24th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Not that it changes your argument all that much, but 6 wins is the minimum and DII games do not count towards that total.

F'N Hawks
July 24th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Not that it changes your argument all that much, but 6 wins is the minimum and DII games do not count towards that total.

6 is the new minimum?

BisonTru
July 24th, 2016, 12:39 PM
It's been that way for a few seasons. 6 D1 wins gets you in consideration.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2016, 02:14 PM
6 is the new minimum?

Yeah, since the 24 team field we have had a couple make it in with 6 and they did change the wording from "less than 7 wins puts you in serious jeopardy" down to 6.

Doesn't really change things too much cuz the mark to have is still 8 wins from a top four conference. You can not count on 7 anymore than you can 6 of course. just so many 7 win teams that will be sitting out every year.

KPSUL
July 24th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Stony Brook is a tough team to predict wins and losses. Most of their games are close. They always have a stout defense and with Stacey Bedell back, and a tough short yardage back in Donald Liotine , they have an excellent one two punch at RB. They also have some good receivers and a very mobile QB in Carbone. They were a MUCH better team before they lost Bedell last season. The Big Sky is more of a run and gun conference, I doubt you've seen the physicality Stony Brook brings very often. I'd take the Seawolves at home against North Dakota.

By the way, are those scrawny guys in the grey uniforms varsity football players? Or fashion merchandising majors just modelling them?

F'N Hawks
July 24th, 2016, 04:21 PM
By the way, are those scrawny guys in the grey uniforms varsity football players? Or fashion merchandising majors just modelling them?

Kicker and finesse WR. You were close.

Nodak78
July 24th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Stony Brook is a tough team to predict wins and losses. Most of their games are close. They always have a stout defense and with Stacey Bedell back, and a tough short yardage back in Donald Liotine , they have an excellent one two punch at RB. They also have some good receivers and a very mobile QB in Carbone. They were a MUCH better team before they lost Bedell last season. The Big Sky is more of a run and gun conference, I doubt you've seen the physicality Stony Brook brings very often. I'd take the Seawolves at home against North Dakota.

My guess UND defense hold Stoney under a 100 yards rushing total. and Stoney will be looking at number #22 from behind a good share of the game.

Gangtackle11
July 24th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Many posters here have high hopes for North Dakota. I've never seen them play so it's hard for me to give an opinion.

I like Stony Brook here. They are home & UND is traveling a long way. Stony Brook plays hard nosed football most Saturdays. There offense is old school with emphasis on the run game in multiple sets. They always play a style of defense that will hit you. Bring your Aleve UND because you will feel it on Sunday back in North Dakota win or lose.

geaux_sioux
July 24th, 2016, 05:44 PM

Many posters here have high hopes for North Dakota. I've never seen them play so it's hard for me to give an opinion.

I like Stony Brook here. They are home & UND is traveling a long way. Stony Brook plays hard nosed football most Saturdays. There offense is old school with emphasis on the run game in multiple sets. They always play a style of defense that will hit you. Bring your Aleve UND because you will feel it on Sunday back in North Dakota win or lose.

Well here are the highlights from last time we played. Keep in mind this was year one of the rebuild and our offense was very inept.

http://youtu.be/xCNixOaRIB8

I realize that we play in the Big Sky but our team plays old school smash mouth football as well. Our team will be the best we've had in a decade this season.

geaux_sioux
July 24th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Highlights vs a bad Wyoming team.
http://youtu.be/DnSpZBBMCUM

Highlights vs ranked Montana St.
http://youtu.be/bTn_RSlAM2M

Gangtackle11
July 24th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Well here are the highlights from last time we played. Keep in mind this was year one of the rebuild and our offense was very inept.

http://youtu.be/xCNixOaRIB8

I realize that we play in the Big Sky but our team plays old school smash mouth football as well. Our team will be the best we've had in a decade this season.

I think it will be a similiar type game on Long Island. Good luck.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 24th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Highlights vs a bad Wyoming team.
http://youtu.be/DnSpZBBMCUM

Highlights vs ranked Montana St.
http://youtu.be/bTn_RSlAM2M

Where are the highlights from the NDSU game?

:)

geaux_sioux
July 24th, 2016, 08:06 PM

Where are the highlights from the NDSU game?

:)

There weren't any.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I think it will be a similiar type game on Long Island. Good luck.

UND will kill SB, book it but it pains me to say it.

Gangtackle11
July 24th, 2016, 08:40 PM
UND will kill SB, book it but it pains me to say it.

UND may win or may not, but I doubt they kill Stony Brook unless SB is a 3 win or less type team this season.

SDFS
July 24th, 2016, 09:10 PM
UND may win or may not, but I doubt they kill Stony Brook unless SB is a 3 win or less type team this season.

I agree it will be a very close game. Both teams have similar style of play. UND O line will need to grow up in hurry. Not an ideal game to be starting 3 or 4 new starters. If they play poorly UND will lose this game. UND was fortunate to win the game in GF a couple of years ago. I thought that SB outplayed them then. Does SB real a lot of starters from last year?