PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's Top FCS WRs For 2016

SU DOG
July 11th, 2016, 07:22 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-returning-fcs-wide-receivers-2016

Good ones for sure. A homer comment maybe, but I seriously doubt any FCS team has a better group of receivers than Samford.

UpstateBison
July 11th, 2016, 10:10 PM
A homer comment maybexdrunkyx When any of your receivers are named top 25 in the SoCon, come back and state your case! Until then, put down your PBR and step away from the keyboard.

PaladinFan
July 12th, 2016, 06:38 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-returning-fcs-wide-receivers-2016

Good ones for sure. A homer comment maybe, but I seriously doubt any FCS team has a better group of receivers than Samford.

Best reception I saw in our last game was at the 7:07 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M-2PQ_cTv8

:)

In all seriousness, Samford has a good group of pass catchers. I think they benefit a lot from the system, but its hard to argue they aren't tops in the SoCon.

UNIFanSince1983
July 12th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Not a whole lot of surprise on that list.

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with my esteemed SoCon colleagues, SU Dog & PaladinFan. The 3 Sammy Wide Retrievers are TOUGH! Yes, they do benefit for the system, but they are also compromised as that system spreads the ball around to a bunch of folks, as evidenced by their stats from last year...

RECEIVING: REC. YARDS AVG. AVG/GAME TDS
Karel Hamilton 75 880 11.7 88.0 4
Kelvin McKnight 57 616 10.8 56.0 2
Emmanuel Obajimi 54 826 15.3 75.1 7
TOTALS 186 2,322 12.5 219.1 13

I think they were also 'compromised' before they had a QB change mid-season. In the latter part of the season the ball was getting to them lightening-quick, on target, and allowed them to operate with some space. Really hard to defend for 4 quarters!

That said...with 2014 sensation, Chandler Curtis (JR), coming back 100% this season, the emergence of young & cat-quick Jimmie Robinson (SO) late last season, the continued growth of Avery Ward (JR) and young & long Marquise Irvin (SO) along with proven TE receiving threats, Robert Brown (SR) and Sam Walker (R-SO), the Mercer Bears will have a bevy of experienced playmakers to spread the opposing defenses.

...some real good 'uns up at Chatt and WCU also...and Aaron Sanders from VMI is also as good as any named so far. SoCon is LOADED with Receiving and RB talent in 2016. Can't see any way that at least 3 Teams don't make the Playoffs this year - should be 4, IMHO.

IBleedYellow
July 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM
NDSU fared well against Wieneke and Barge last year.

They both combined 5 receptions for 71 yards with a long of 22 yards.

Cupp scares the crap out of me, though.

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Imagine if the three of them on the same team.

They might even be almost as good and Samford's receiver squad.

Also to be fair to Barge he was only targeted 4 times in a game where Eli laid an egg. So...

UNIFanSince1983
July 12th, 2016, 09:22 AM

He had 9 rec for 179 yards and 2 TDs against us last year. And I think he got hurt in the game.

Of course Wieneke had 4 for 85 against us too. So who knows...

ST_Lawson
July 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Not saying he should be higher on this list (this is a REALLY strong class of returning WRs in the FCS...the "honorable mention" is still really good), but I just wanted to mention that WIU's Lance Lenior Jr. is already at or near the top of most of Western's season and career receiving records:

Receptions in a season - #1 and #2 spots
Receiving yards in a season - #1 and #6 spots
# of 100+ yd games in a season - (tied with others at) #1 and #2 spots
Career receptions - #1 (44 ahead of #2)
Career receiving yards - #1 (277 yards ahead of #2)
Career 100+ yd games - #1
Career receiving TDs - #1 (currently tied with Lito Senatus, who was QB Matt Barr's favorite target back in 2010)

In addition, the other primary WR, Joey Borsellino (who will also be a senior this year)...if he has at least 9 catches (his season average is 48) and at least 563 yards receiving (his average is 621) this season, he will be #2 in career numbers for both of those at Western.

Not that we've had a ton of great receivers at Western, but that would mean that both of our current receivers would have more yards and catches than players like Reggie Gray (has been playing pro arena league since '08), Frisman Jackson (played '02-'07 in NFL, Browns and Jets), Lito Senatus, or Terrian Crump (probably the last two really good Western WR's).

SU DOG
July 12th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Imagine if the three of them on the same team.

They might even be almost as good and Samford's receiver squad.

Also to be fair to Barge he was only targeted 4 times in a game where Eli laid an egg. So...

I saw Barge make several "circus" catches last season. He is definitely a great WR who deserves to be on the list.

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I saw Barge make several "circus" catches last season. He is definitely a great WR who deserves to be on the list.
There's a clip of him somewhere making a one hander over Tim Irvin (Michael Irvin's nephew) in the Auburn game.

I'll see if I can find it tonight when I get home from work.

I'm still bummed about his TD grab in OT. It was so damn close to being in bounds. If only his toes were an inch longer.

Grizalltheway
July 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM
He had 9 rec for 179 yards and 2 TDs against us last year. And I think he got hurt in the game.

Of course Wieneke had 4 for 85 against us too. So who knows...

Yeah, that was just in the first half, IIRC.

I was pleasantly shocked that we managed to hold him to 118 last year.

IBleedYellow
July 12th, 2016, 11:02 AM
We don't have our lockdown corner yet.

Oh joy.

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 11:04 AM
We don't have our lockdown corner yet.

Oh joy.

How does the secondary look overall for you guys?

REALBird
July 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Would have put Anthony Warrum, (ISUr) up there, but the question marks at QB this year made it acceptable to swallow honorable mention.

BisonTru
July 12th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Fairly unknown. We'll have two new starters at the corners. Both Allison and Reid played some last year due to injuries. My opinion is that Allison looks pretty decent. Not a lock down corner, but I think he'll be a solid starter. Reid or whoever wins the other spot is my bigger concern. However, outside of that we bring almost everyone else back on defense.

IBleedYellow
July 12th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Fairly unknown. We'll have two new starters at the corners. Both Allison and Reid played some last year due to injuries. My opinion is that Allison looks pretty decent. Not a lock down corner, but I think he'll be a solid starter. Reid or whoever wins the other spot is my bigger concern. However, outside of that we bring almost everyone else back on defense.

The keys to our defense:

A MLB who is quick laterally and can make the tackles that come his way and basically running the defense.
A shutdown corner that allows the rest of the defense play free and focused. The corner is very important part that allows our defense to have played the way they have the previous 5 years.

dewey
July 12th, 2016, 02:00 PM

What will help the young corners the most is both safeties will be in their second years of starting and the D Line of Menard (should be an All American), Tanguay (should be an All American), Ambrosius and Steidl should be very good.

With Cupp I wonder if NDSU will try to bracket him with a safety/linebacker and then the #2 corner. Eastern Washington will also be replacing 4 or 5 starters on the offensive line so that should help out tremendously.

Dewey

underdawg
July 12th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Ryan Sousa 6-1 195
www.hudl.com/athlete/877094/ryan-sousa (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/877094/ryan-sousa)

Montray Smith 6-4 175
www.hudl.com/athlete/4591187/montray-smith (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4591187/montray-smith)

Deonte Gaines
www.hudl.com/athlete/885891/deionte-gaines (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/885891/deionte-gaines)

Plus SIU Salukis have returner Billy Reed (6-1, 203)

Althon doesn't know sheet about FCS receiversxpeacex

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 02:20 PM
What will help the young corners the most is both safeties will be in their second years of starting and the D Line of Menard (should be an All American), Tanguay (should be an All American), Ambrosius and Steidl should be very good.

With Cupp I wonder if NDSU will try to bracket him with a safety/linebacker and then the #2 corner. Eastern Washington will also be replacing 4 or 5 starters on the offensive line so that should help out tremendously.

Dewey
Hail Mary's every down. :D

kdinva
July 12th, 2016, 02:41 PM
VMI's receiver corps of Aaron Sanders, Dane Forlines, Isiah Parker, Rohan Martin, Kendrick Jackson & Javeon Lara will make noise in 2016....

Sammy94
July 12th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Now that the Kats have a QB that can throw, expect a big year from Yedidiah Louis.

https://postinspostcards.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/12362946_1165739383455619_9088890237636888314_o.jp g

geaux_sioux
July 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM
A guy to watch for this year is Clive Georges. He broke his hand first play in our first game last season and only got to really play 5 games. He averaged 25 yds/catch and took the top off the defenses in our last three games when our starting qb came back from injury. Against MSU 2 catches, 73 yards, 2TDs. Last game against Cal Poly was 5 catches, 143 yards, 1TD.

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2016, 03:57 PM
VMI's receiver corps of Aaron Sanders, Dane Forlines, Isiah Parker, Rohan Martin, & Javeon Lara will make noise in 2016....

You might be adding this one:

Kendrick Jackson WR 5-8 170 Roswell, Ga./Roswell H.S. (6A State Finalist)
Amassed 790 all-purpose yards between rushing, receiving and returning kicks as a senior...averaged 8.8 yards a carry and 11.4 yards per catch...holds a 3.3 GPA...received all-region honors his senior season...intends to major in economics and business.

...to that list soon. Even though he'll only be a 'Rat' and is undersized, much like Mercer's similarly-sized Jimmie Robinson, he's a hard one to keep off the field once he gets a chance to get out there and starts making plays.

dewey
July 12th, 2016, 04:54 PM

That wouldn't work either :D

Dewey

BisonTru
July 12th, 2016, 05:41 PM

Did you apply for the UND HC job a couple year's ago?

Look familiar?

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Ge_-KUo3--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1994dg2vfpyeppng.png

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--N4QEggYh--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1994jwerixz4ipng.png

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Did you apply for the UND HC job a couple year's ago?

Look familiar?

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Ge_-KUo3--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1994dg2vfpyeppng.png

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--N4QEggYh--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1994jwerixz4ipng.png
I actually got my first Madden game for this last Christmas. You wouldn't believe how many people play like that top picture describes. It's stupid how well it works out for everyone but me. Lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 12th, 2016, 05:58 PM

Bring him on. NDSU's defense will be outstanding.

Massey has NDSU winning 44-17....sounds about right.

kdinva
July 12th, 2016, 05:59 PM
You might be adding this one:

Kendrick Jackson WR 5-8 170 Roswell, Ga./Roswell H.S. (6A State Finalist)
Amassed 790 all-purpose yards between rushing, receiving and returning kicks as a senior...averaged 8.8 yards a carry and 11.4 yards per catch...holds a 3.3 GPA...received all-region honors his senior season...intends to major in economics and business.

...to that list soon. Even though he'll only be a 'Rat' and is undersized, much like Mercer's similarly-sized Jimmie Robinson, he's a hard one to keep off the field once he gets a chance to get out there and starts making plays.

true, thanks.

geaux_sioux
July 12th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Bring him on. NDSU's defense will be outstanding.

Massey has NDSU winning 44-17....sounds about right.
I can't wait to see this matchup. NDSU will know right away if their new CBs are up to snuff or not. Cupp is unreal.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 12th, 2016, 07:26 PM

I think we will have one weak corner to start the year. Allison is tough though he's been hurt some of the off-season, nothing serious. You may remember allison from a big hit on your third wide receiver in the championship game to force a 4th down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViEvsFkGcY

around 16:57

As has been said though, the experience at safety and in the front 7 should mask that early. I expect the 2nd guy to get picked on BIG TIME against Iowa. Hopefully we'll scheme to overcome.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Two words...Troy Pelletier

He will follow in the footsteps of recent Lehigh WR's Lee Kurfis and Ryan Spadola by making All-American honors either this year or next as a senior. Lehigh's skill guys as a group are 2011 good. TP is probably the most gifted of them all. He has legit NFL potential....

McNeese75
July 12th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I can't wait to see this matchup. NDSU will know right away if their new CBs are up to snuff or not. Cupp is unreal.

Let's give the guy his due. It is Kupp

Schism55
July 12th, 2016, 09:27 PM
No doubt. Cooper Kupp is the shiznight! Watching him carve Oregon to pieces last season was a sight.
Heck he may be best offensive player in the fcs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM

I'm looking forward to it. Kupp is a stud but football is more than 1 player. NDSU's front 7 will be tough to stop for EWU's new OL. Plus the power run game will more than likely beat down the Eagle defense....Kupp cannot score if you are not on the field....

slostang
July 12th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Cal Poly will face the top two in 2016.

Thumper 76
July 12th, 2016, 11:32 PM

That wasn't so much as Wieneke as much as it was Lujan on his back the whole game. The dude is insane. Kupp is amazing, but Wieneke was only a sophomore last year. Personally I'm assuming (hoping) TC has improved his throwing this year and has built a better relationship with him over the offseason. Will provide the Bison with some more trouble than the immobile Lujan IMHO. Lujan definitely had a better connection with the Wizard last year for sure though. My hopes for this season are entirely pinned on the new o line coach improving our line greatly this year. Hoping he brings some attitude back to the trenches we've been missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
July 13th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Now that the Kats have a QB that can throw, expect a big year from Yedidiah Louis.

https://postinspostcards.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/12362946_1165739383455619_9088890237636888314_o.jp g

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Still able to catch and run while a defender hangs on to his junk....

gumby013
July 13th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I'm looking forward to it. Kupp is a stud but football is more than 1 player. NDSU's front 7 will be tough to stop for EWU's new OL. Plus the power run game will more than likely beat down the Eagle defense....Kupp cannot score if you are not on the field....

Every OL for EWU will be a freshman or sophomore. Crazy young.

IBleedYellow
July 13th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Key here: EWU has a new O-line. How much is our d-line going to manhandle them?

That will remove Kupp from the equation.

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 13th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Is Kupp good yes he is solid but he benefits GREATLY from the other WRs around him. This season Kupp will have lower output than previous seasons since he really has no QB to get him the ball and their OL is going to be a work in progress.

System guy if there ever was one, and NDSU will Kupp check Leastern Wash

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Key here: EWU has a new O-line. How much is our d-line going to manhandle them?

That will remove Kupp from the equation.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys dominated but he still got his. I expect NDSU fans to come away pretty impressed by him.

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Yea, yea Cooper Kupp to Kooper Cupp.

Grizalltheway
July 13th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Koopa Cupp?

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fantendo/images/2/2a/Koopa-troopa.png/revision/latest?cb=20151222231815

Nickels
July 13th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Kupp has looked somewhere between mediocre to good against us. And our pass D has been very pedestrian in recent years. No doubt he's good but I think he greatly benefits from bad BSC Ds and the EWU system.

UNIFanSince1983
July 13th, 2016, 01:14 PM
If there is a successful player on a successful team they usually are benefited by the system they play in. Heck even a good player on a bad team usually is benefited by a system. Isn't that the point of coaching? Either recruiting players to fit your system or changing your system to fit the players you have. Seems like basic football to me.

Grizalltheway
July 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Kupp has looked somewhere between mediocre to good against us. And our pass D has been very pedestrian in recent years. No doubt he's good but I think he greatly benefits from bad BSC Ds and the EWU system.

No player is completely "on" every game. Did he benefit from a bad UNI defense to rack up 180 yards in a half?

Sader87
July 13th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Nice to see Flaherty get some recognition....maybe not the flashiest guy but unbelievable hands, runs good routes/football IQ etc He leads what should be a very good WR corps for HC this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Glad to see Brian Brown on the Athlon List. Very well deserved.

Anthony215
July 14th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I would think that Senior WR Bruce Mapp of Coastal Carolina (they're still FCS for this upcoming season they just aren't eligible to compete in the playoffs. His stat line reads:

41 career games, 141 receptions, 2015 yards & 14 TDs.

ngineer
July 14th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Two words...Troy Pelletier

He will follow in the footsteps of recent Lehigh WR's Lee Kurfis and Ryan Spadola by making All-American honors either this year or next as a senior. Lehigh's skill guys as a group are 2011 good. TP is probably the most gifted of them all. He has legit NFL potential....

Yes, Troy reminds me of Spadola. Could be huge year for him with more support in the WR corps so he can't be doubled.