PDA

View Full Version : Two Team Debate

Smitty
June 27th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Lets just narrow it down to the FCS to stay on topic. If you get accepted to a college for a Masters degree that is different than your Bachelors degree, do you cheer for that team? Which school takes preference (if they were to face each other head to head)? Also do you go to a school in your conference or do you avoid it?

As another topic, how do you guys feel about online schooling related to cheering for the teams athletics? Of course you have the for profit schools that don't have football teams so naturally I am not talking about those. I'll give you an example.

I went to Western Carolina for my bachelor's and was recently accepted into the Masters program at Penn State. I'll always cheer for WCU but now I'm torn if I am now a Penn State fan as well. I'll probably never go to the campus (other than to walk at graduation) and I've always had other teams to cheer for in FBS.

If this fits better in AGS Lounge or something, feel free to move it there.

SFA 93
June 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I'll probably never go to the campus

For me, one of the older folks, that statement right there blows my mind of how things have changed through time.

IMO the campus you roamed and grew with, built relationships and ideals on, not to mention called home for four or so years would have your undivided loyalty, but then again that's another thing that has changed in the passing years.

Daytripper
June 27th, 2016, 11:06 AM
For me, one of the older folks, that statement right there blows my mind of how things have changed through time.

IMO the campus you roamed and grew with, built relationships and ideals on, not to mention called home for four or so years would have your undivided loyalty, but then again that's another thing that has changed in the passing years.

I agree. I can't conceive of rooting for a school that I never visited.

Laker
June 27th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I went to junior college and then undergrad and grad school to MSU-Mankato. I've taken classes at UMD, St. Cloud, St. John's, and Southwest State but never even considered that I would change my loyalty. The only way I could see me doing that is if some close relative was playing against them- and even then, I would want them to do well but have MSU win.

eiu1999
June 27th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I would think your first loyalty or interest would be were you first went starting out.

Any post ed school you went to is usually just to study. But cheer for whom you want.

Wife and I both went to EIU and that is where the loyalty lies.

Lets just narrow it down to the FCS to stay on topic. If you get accepted to a college for a Masters degree that is different than your Bachelors degree, do you cheer for that team? Which school takes preference (if they were to face each other head to head)? Also do you go to a school in your conference or do you avoid it?

As another topic, how do you guys feel about online schooling related to cheering for the teams athletics? Of course you have the for profit schools that don't have football teams so naturally I am not talking about those. I'll give you an example.
I went to Western Carolina for my bachelor's and was recently accepted into the Masters program at Penn State. I'll always cheer for WCU but now I'm torn if I am now a Penn State fan as well. I'll probably never go to the campus (other than to walk at graduation) and I've always had other teams to cheer for in FBS.

Smitty
June 27th, 2016, 11:18 AM

I agree with you, which is why WCU will always be my main school. This was just a question in general, not about who I'm loyal to.

RootinFerDukes
June 27th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Your loyalty should always be with your undergrad first, any grad schools second, if at all. I'm VERY casually following my grad school. I just have trouble caring too much, mainly because their fans are so dramatic and don't stop to realize how good they have it, and overinflated sense of self in the D1 landscape, etc.
Hell it sounds like I just described JMU haha

I have known many JMU alums who "loved their time at JMU" during undergrad but get one masters degree from any given P5 school or just work or live near a P5 school and I see them at more games for that school than I see anything posted about JMU. It's just the sad reality of being around P5 schools on every corner.

BEAR
June 27th, 2016, 11:59 AM
To answer your question:

My team: Painted face, tailgate, BBQ, show up even in the tough seasons.
My other team: Hear about it on the news. Golf clap when they do good. But NOT a priority.

clenz
June 27th, 2016, 12:24 PM
You don't have to cheer for PSU at all.

Hell, you don't have to cheer to WCU at all.

I'm getting my MA at a school I will never attend an athletic event at, unless they start football. I won't make much/any effort to follow the athletic teams.

If you end up pulling for them, so be it. If not? Great.

Schools, especially grad school, is a tool to advance your career. A tool is only as useful as long as it's needed. No need to be faithful to a tool that isn't needed. It adds clutter. You keep being faithful to these tools and not getting rid of them and eventually you're basement is full of **** you'll never use again and haven't used in years. Then you and your spouse get in weekly fights about how much stupid **** you have cluttering your house. Then you get forced into holding a dumbass garage sale where you put days of work into it to make a couple bucks and your wife goes "See, we made money". Then you point out the $/hr vs the amount of work put into the garage sale and you get into a fight about that. Then you still have crap left over so she wants another garage sale and you fight about that.

Sorry....got off topic and personal there for a second...

No, no need to cheer for PSU if you don't build that kind of connection

TheValleyRaider
June 27th, 2016, 12:30 PM
I did my undergrad at Colgate, and graduate degrees from TCU. It helps that they rarely play against one another, but on the few occasions I've had to make a choice, it's Colgate and it's not even close.

I do follow TCU football pretty closely, otherwise only really pay attention when baseball makes a run to the CWS. It certainly helps that TCU football was pretty good while I was there, so it does matter a bit more to me. It is kind of nice to be able to watch both FBS and FCS with a dog in the hunt. I was also on campus the whole time, so I certainly feel connected to the school, though not in the same way I do Colgate.

The online debate is an interesting question. I can't really fathom having a real connection to a school I never physically went to, but I never really considered it either. For the schools you're talking about, it might be fun to follow a team like Penn State (a big-name school in a big-time conference), especially since they won't face one another often (if at all).

clenz
June 27th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I did my undergrad at Colgate, and graduate degrees from TCU. It helps that they rarely play against one another, but on the few occasions I've had to make a choice, it's Colgate and it's not even close.

I do follow TCU football pretty closely, otherwise only really pay attention when baseball makes a run to the CWS. It certainly helps that TCU football was pretty good while I was there, so it does matter a bit more to me. It is kind of nice to be able to watch both FBS and FCS with a dog in the hunt. I was also on campus the whole time, so I certainly feel connected to the school, though not in the same way I do Colgate.

The online debate is an interesting question. I can't really fathom having a real connection to a school I never physically went to, but I never really considered it either. For the schools you're talking about, it might be fun to follow a team like Penn State (a big-name school in a big-time conference), especially since they won't face one another often (if at all).
I have a connection to 2 schools I never went too - Michigan and Louisville.

I just felt a natural connection to Michigan growing up and watching them. Louisville I guess I've been to games at and love the city so there's that connection.

Have you (not you, ValleyRaider, per se, but anyone that thinks this) ever played/worked for a pro sports team you follow? No. Then you shouldn't be a fan of them. You have no connection to them.

TheValleyRaider
June 27th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I have a connection to 2 schools I never went too - Michigan and Louisville.

I just felt a natural connection to Michigan growing up and watching them. Louisville I guess I've been to games at and love the city so there's that connection.

Have you (not you, ValleyRaider, per se, but anyone that thinks this) ever played/worked for a pro sports team you follow? No. Then you shouldn't be a fan of them. You have no connection to them.

Except I have no expectation or probability of having a connection to a pro team like I would a college program. You can't "attend" a pro team. Unless you want to argue that there's no substantive difference between the two. For plenty, there probably isn't. For me, there is.

clenz
June 27th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Except I have no expectation or probability of having a connection to a pro team like I would a college program. You can't "attend" a pro team. Unless you want to argue that there's no substantive difference between the two. For plenty, there probably isn't. For me, there is.
Realistically, I can't attend Michigan either. I applied out of HS and didn't get in.

Only way for me to "attend" Michigan is through tickets to games.
Same as being the only way I can attend a Vikings game.

Hell, I bleed Vikings, Twins, Wild, and T'Wolves at this point in my life. I've been to 3 Twins games in my life, 1 Vikings game and 2 T'Wolves games. Realistically, I don't have a connection to them. I live 278 miles from US Bank Stadium, 278 miles from Target Center, 278 miles from Target Field, and 279 miles from Xcel Energy Center (well, 249 if I take back highways). I grew up in Iowa. I have zero connection to Minneapolis. Why is it okay to be fans of that, but not a college team i didn't go to?

Twentysix
June 27th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Its totally up to you. Ig you want a reason to cheer for penn state then do it.

walliver
June 27th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I suspect most people have an attachment to their undergraduate school. By the time most people make it to grad school/professional school there usually isn't much time for extracurricular activities.

The main exception to this rule is where the undergrad school has a bad football program, and the graduate school is a top P5 contender.

Panther88
June 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Some of us w/ the bad performing undergrad still stay faithful though, walliver. I sat through 57 of our 80-consecutive game losing streak games from kickoff to the final 4th quarter clock 00:00 lopsided scores. That anger helped fuel my drive to help change/fund PVAMU's direction of its athletics. It's a double-edged sword that cuts going and on the return swing. I'd say do whatever feeds your ego. If Prairie View A&M Univ ever plays THE Ohio State Univ, I'm going to root for PVAMU to put its foot through OSU's hind parts :D xlolx . Ditto for PVAMU vs HowardU - PVAMU all day, every day. I bleed purple and gold.

However, and I'm sure the SHSUers can relate to this... it's quite disheartening when you walk your undergrad campus and you see "hook'em horns," "gig'em aggies," "eat'em up coogs," "miami hurricanes," "florida st noles," et al TX BCS busters paraphernalia being worn by undergrads. And God forbid witnessing it in the stands @ your home game. :(

Hambone
June 27th, 2016, 01:30 PM
My parents were both UND alums, and I started going to sporting events when I was pretty young and was instantly a fan and knew I was going to go to school there. However, since they were DII and never on tv, I watch a lot of college football on TV and at a young age started being interested in Michigan as my "Big School" team. So now I follow both, although I'm a lot bigger die-hard for UND than I am for Michigan.

I got my graduate degree at St. Thomas here in the Twin Cities. A good friend of mine had a brother that was playing football at the time, so I went to quite a few games (since they were free with my student ID :)). I find myself following them online nowadays and being happy when they do well, but don't feel I have much of a connection to them compared to the other two.

IBleedYellow
June 27th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I don't know what school could pull me away. I've cheered for NDSU since I was 2-3. First game I went to I was less than a year old (obviously I don't remember it.)

I'm IBY for a reason.

jimbo65
June 27th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Friend of mine went to Yale Undergrad and Harvard Grad. We went to the "Game" every other year at New Haven. He was 100% for Yale.

Laker
June 27th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I don't know what school could pull me away. I've cheered for NDSU since I was 2-3. First game I went to I was less than a year old (obviously I don't remember it.)

I'm IBY for a reason.

Thank God! I thought you had jaundice! xsmiley_wix

TheValleyRaider
June 27th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Realistically, I can't attend Michigan either. I applied out of HS and didn't get in.

Only way for me to "attend" Michigan is through tickets to games.
Same as being the only way I can attend a Vikings game.

Hell, I bleed Vikings, Twins, Wild, and T'Wolves at this point in my life. I've been to 3 Twins games in my life, 1 Vikings game and 2 T'Wolves games. Realistically, I don't have a connection to them. I live 278 miles from US Bank Stadium, 278 miles from Target Center, 278 miles from Target Field, and 279 miles from Xcel Energy Center (well, 249 if I take back highways). I grew up in Iowa. I have zero connection to Minneapolis. Why is it okay to be fans of that, but not a college team i didn't go to?

I don't think there's anything wrong with rooting for teams like that. I'm just saying it's not for me. I've never been in that position, as I had no connection to Colgate or TCU until I started attending, and otherwise I grew up close to the pro teams I root for.

To me, there is a difference between the connection to a college or professional team, as you can have a connection to a school without necessarily rooting for their teams (like the thread-starter might have with Penn State). What other connection would you have to the T'wolves except to root for them?

There's certainly nothing wrong with you rooting for Michigan. Indeed, that's part of how/why they are "Michigan." I'm not interested in making rules for anyone else's fandom, just saying it's not the way I approach it.

clenz
June 27th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with rooting for teams like that. I'm just saying it's not for me. I've never been in that position, as I had no connection to Colgate or TCU until I started attending, and otherwise I grew up close to the pro teams I root for.

To me, there is a difference between the connection to a college or professional team, as you can have a connection to a school without necessarily rooting for their teams (like the thread-starter might have with Penn State). What other connection would you have to the T'wolves except to root for them?

There's certainly nothing wrong with you rooting for Michigan. Indeed, that's part of how/why they are "Michigan." I'm not interested in making rules for anyone else's fandom, just saying it's not the way I approach it.
I have no connection to the T'Wolves.

I have no connection to Michigan outside of watching them as a kid, liking their jerseys, the first college football game I remember watching was a UM game (UM/Colorado), and them winning a title when I was 7. That's it. That's how I became a Michigan fan. I watched them lose a on a hail mary but liked their uniform, and they won a title a year or two later. I applied to UM strictly because of their football program. I don't really follow any of their other programs. Essentially I view UM football as a standalone enterprise.

I didn't go to my first T'Wolves game until 2007, at the age of 19. The only other T'Wolves game I went to was a preseason game in Cedar Rapids, IA against the Bucks in 2014 at the age of 26 (the first game of any kind for Wiggins and Parker). That's it. That's the full extent of my connection the Wolves outside of "They were the team on TV in my part of Iowa growing up". Same to be said about the Vikings and Twins. Hell, the Wild didn't exist until I was 12. I was a Red Wings fan until then because they were good in the mid-90s and guys like Stevie Y caught my eye.

Outside of UM offering academics, what's the difference on that? I get the basic premise of what you're saying, but I think it's a short sided way of looking at it.

Catatonic
June 28th, 2016, 07:28 AM
This is me:

I grew up liking two schools-Arkansas (my kin live in NW Arkansas) and Arizona State (I grew up in Arizona). I later went to grad school at both of these U's plus Oklahoma State. I spent my entire professional career teaching and doing research at the University of Georgia (30 plus years). My wife and I took both kids to all UGA home games as they were growing up, along with occasional out of town games and bowls.

My loyalty to Abilene Christian has always been based more on a love of the university than loyalty to its athletic program. That's changed since I returned to Abilene in 2006, although my support is still divided between Georgia and ACU in that order. I keep up with Arkansas and Arizona State, but my support is limited to checking scores. Okie State was a place I went to school. I had no time to attend sports events and never developed a fondness for OSU athletics.

McNeese72
June 28th, 2016, 07:50 AM
To answer your question:

My team: Painted face, tailgate, BBQ, show up even in the tough seasons.
My other team: Hear about it on the news. Golf clap when they do good. But NOT a priority.

This is similar to my situation. I got my B.S. degree from McNeese and my D.D.S. degree from LSU School of Dentistry.

For sports it is always McNeese first. I follow LSU when they are on TV but I don't get real excited when they win and when they lose it doesn't bother me much.

When the two teams play each other in any sport, I will be wearing my blue and gold and rooting for McNeese. Oh, and I don't own any LSU clothing.

Doc

stevdock
June 28th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I received my undergrad degree at NDSU and during my five years it took to get my degree I went to probably 100+ games. About a year later I started my grad degree at Northern Arizona. I was very appreciative of NAU for helping me get the degree but never went to a game. I do pay attention to them every once in a while, but it always has been and always will be NDSU first. In fact, I think the only time that NAU will receive any money (outside of tuition) from me would be if they were to host NDSU for a football game. Even then I will be decked out in NDSU gear, watching my alma mater destroy a school that I received a degree from. (Meaning allegiance has more to do with the ties you have to each school and how important those ties are)

KPSUL
June 28th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I've got no conflict, my grad and undergraduate degrees are both from UNH, split by 10 years in the Army. But it is more likely someone would have greater loyalty to the undergraduate school.

UNIFanSince1983
June 28th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I don't have a graduate degree. However, I do cheer for multiple schools. The thing is none of the ones I cheer for come close to UNI. I went to a UNI basketball game at a month old. Was born into a UNI family. Heck I would be a huge UNI fan even if I didn't graduate from there. At one point started liking USC, and still follow them and hope they do well just not die hard. Then about a year ago my fiance got a job at Nebraska. It is really hard not to be a Husker while living in Lincoln. Also knowing that it pays some of our bills helps too. Now we have season tickets this year. So I guess I became a pretty big Husker fan in a short time, but when UNI plays Nebraska in anything you can guarantee I will be wearing purple.

JSUSoutherner
June 28th, 2016, 06:03 PM
I don't see a problem with cheering for more than one team.

I like Ohio State even though I haven't been.

My degree won't be from JSU but I'll always be a fan and I'll be a fan of wherever I transfer to (at this point, it's narrowed down to Auburn and Arkansas, leaning toward Arkansas).

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Rooting for Georgetown games in Texas tends to be a limited proposition and if it were the only team I followed I'd miss a lot of the greatness that is college football. This is a team that hasn't played a game in the Central time zone since a game at St. Louis in 1971.

Locally, I will get to one or two TCU home games a year--Gary Patterson is a defensive genius and a vastly underrated head coach. That Alamo Bowl win over Oregon was a case study in how motivation can win games.

Regionally, I will root for Texas A&M because of the great traditions there and, well...that it's not Texas. Longhorn fans make Notre Dame fans look humble by comparison.

McNeese75
June 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I grew up a Texas fan but attended McNeese and that is who I follow and support. Like Doc, I will watch LSU but I am not emotionally invested (even though two of my four children graduated from there).

ST_Lawson
June 29th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I also don't have the 2-school issue, since both my BA and MS are from Western Illinois. I probably would have been a fan of Western anyway though...my parents weren't really into it (didn't start going to games until I was in college and in the marching band)...but, I grew up less than a mile from Hanson Field and from K through 2nd grade actually went to school at the university's lab school, less than 1,200 feet from the stadium. In high school our track sucked, so we held our track meets at Hanson Field. So, I had a pretty strong connection to the university even if I hadn't chosen to go there.

Outside of Western, I generally root for Big 10 schools, since I've had family and friends go to nearly all of them, although Illinois is the only one I've gone to see games at. My sister-in-law was in the color guard in the band there and it's close enough for us to drive there, see an early afternoon game, then drive home all in the same day.

Sader87
June 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM
There's a lot of cross-pollination between Holy Cross, BC, Fordham and GTown....amongst many other schools in the Northeast...I think invariably those people root for their undergraduate school first and foremost....at least the people I know who did do so.

Panther88
June 29th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Sure are a lot of advanced professional degrees around these parts. Why are quite a few posting here so ignorant and disrespectful?

Thumper 76
June 29th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Grew up in Wisconsin so I casually follow the Badgers, went to SDSU and they're my number one by far. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
June 29th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Sure are a lot of advanced professional degrees around these parts. Why are quite a few posting here so ignorant and disrespectful?

Did you expect things to change from the other threads? :D

Thumper 76
June 29th, 2016, 10:59 PM

Why do you think a degree makes the person?

MR. CHICKEN
June 30th, 2016, 06:19 AM

............TIES....TUH PHILADELPHIA.......NEW JERSEY........MVFC..........................xwhist lex..........BRAWK!

Bisonoline
July 3rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
Grew up in Wisconsin so I casually follow the Badgers, went to SDSU and they're my number one by far. Not even close.

Where in WI?

Thumper 76
July 3rd, 2016, 09:55 PM
Where in WI?

Little town an hr south of Ashland, hr west of Minocqua, hr north of Medford, and a hr east of Hayward. Middle of nowhere basically xlolx

Bisonoline
July 3rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
Little town an hr south of Ashland, hr west of Minocqua, hr north of Medford, and a hr east of Hayward. Middle of nowhere basically xlolx

Im at a class reunion in Onalaska.

You close to Park Falls? Oxbow?

Thumper 76
July 3rd, 2016, 09:58 PM

Nice! Played Onalaska Lutheran in high school once.

Bisonoline
July 3rd, 2016, 11:53 PM
Nice! Played Onalaska Lutheran in high school once.

They are the "other " school. LOL

I will be going to Medford on Tues to visit a friend then on to Eau Claire where my mom lives.

Laker
July 4th, 2016, 07:23 AM
They are the "other " school. LOL

I will be going to Medford on Tues to visit a friend then on to Eau Claire where my mom lives.

Home of the outlet mall...........

Penguin Nation
July 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM
After graduating from YSU, I went to Georgetown for grad school. i am fans of both schools and follow them both, but if YSU and Gtown played, i'd be all in for YSU. I hope they don't play, because what YSU would do to them in FB, Gtown would do to them in MBB.

I think it depends on your experience at that school, and most ppl have more fun in college than grad school.

My daughter now attends FAU, so they are a close #3.

Bisonoline
July 4th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Home of the outlet mall...........

Is that the first one?

Laker
July 4th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Is that the first one?

Their site says it has been there for twenty years. I think that the Mall of America started in 1993, but as far as outstate outlet malls go it is the first one that I remember around Minnesota. Someone might know of others that went up before that- but I remember going out of my way to stop there years ago. Ended up not buying anything anyway............

Bisonoline
July 4th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Their site says it has been there for twenty years. I think that the Mall of America started in 1993, but as far as outstate outlet malls go it is the first one that I remember around Minnesota. Someone might know of others that went up before that- but I remember going out of my way to stop there years ago. Ended up not buying anything anyway............

When I was in AR there were outlet malls in MO back in 1990 and had been there for awhile..

Terry2889
July 5th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Played at UNH then proceeded to begin my Masters in Modern European history from UMass.... I do not cheer for Umass, or Rutgers where I completed my degree.

Thumper 76
July 7th, 2016, 09:39 AM

You close to Park Falls? Oxbow?

Park Falls, grew up in Fifield.
Went to school in PF though. Oxbo is pretty close though, of course home of the famous tick races.

Bisonoline
July 7th, 2016, 11:55 PM
Park Falls, grew up in Fifield.
Went to school in PF though. Oxbo is pretty close though, of course home of the famous tick races.

Youre right. I never heard of Fifield. LOL

After Medford I took a side trip over to Wittenberg and Nueseks Country Store.. Picked up some of their famous kielbasa for tailgate and 10lbs of their bacon that is heavenly..